• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Haven't listened to this release in a while. Played it today on a whim and damn glad I did. Great from beginning to end. The Dark Star here usually gets all of the attention, but every track is solid. Some genuinely sublime moments throughout, especially Weather Report Suite and Wharf Rat (played 'em twice, 'cause they sound that nice). Not sure I'll ever fully embrace those compressed, tinny Wall of Sound vocals. But musically, this one kicks balls.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That’s how we got Greta Van Fleet.We must thank their parents for a job well done. There are a lot of younger people, too young to have seen Jerry play, that go to D&C. At least some millennials have tuned in and turned on. They just need to learn to not talk so much while the band is playing.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I now work at a car dealership and my routine, subtle, yet subversive move is to tune every car I enter equipped with XM radio is to tune to channel 23.Today when I did this I was rewarded with a cut from Wednesday's Dead & Co. Show! So cool
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I was trolling around in my car today for a bit and heard that one too.. on good ole channel 23. Since they have only played it once (so far).. we know it was from Wednesday nights show. I am pretty sure that is the tune where Bobby was sporting his cool art deco Gretsch. It had a funky tone to it (in a cool way). I stumbled onto a stream of tonight's show.. Jack Straw > Cold Rain and Snow so far. Usually John switches to his silver axe for the old songs.. but they transitioned into it so no time. He is playing that spectacular zebra striped maple custom beast. Very good sound, especially if you turn it up. What? Speak up... What? Hey.. that is so very cool that you preset the cars to the GD channel. Cracked me up when I read that. The wisest investment I ever made was getting a lifetime subscription.. this was before the GD channel, but Jam On (Jam Central back then) was pretty much the GD channel of the day. All my friends were giving me shit.. it's an unproven business model, they are going to go bankrupt.. etc. Great investment.. still going strong for almost 15 years now.. less than $400.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Two down: Tal Farlow at Ed Fuerst's DaP 24 - disc 2 One in progress: TTOTS 1973 - disc 1 Next up: Gene Clark - White Light Jon Sholle - Catfish for Supper All supplemented with a couple of IPAs. Who knows, the music may just be getting started...
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Exactly. I was going to post the exact same thing until I saw your post. A computer is not an instrument. My parents were very tolerant of our music growing up. Not that they enjoyed our generation's genre. But, they accepted it. My grandfather played in a big band, so dad grew up with music and mom fell in love with it once they were married. They knew our music was different, but it was still music. Not so much these days. Go watch the documentary called It Might Get Loud. Jimmy Page, Jack White and the Edge talking about music. Two things stuck out in my opinion. First, the look on the faces of the Edge and Jack White when Jimmy Page picked up a guitar and started playing. They were both in disbelief at his talent Second, and more important to this discussion, were the comments made by the Edge. He spends hours digitally enhancing the music to create "his" sound. It has been years since I saw the movie, but essentially he played a few basic chords. Then he turned to the camera and said, if I just did that, nobody would listen. Running through all the electronics, it sounds like this. U2. I lost a ton of respect for those guys right then and there. It is the same reason I despise the noise of today. Not really music in my opinion. Yup. Old curmudgeon here. Get off my lawn. Good one Erik. Whenever I borrowed a friend's car, I would always reprogram the preset stations to Christian Rock. That trick never gets old. Yeah. D&C have started to price themselves out.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I never liked U2. Sorry.. It's one of the few bands I really didn't even try to like. Just not my thing. If you are a U2 fan, don't let my opinion sway yours.. it's just not my thing. Rant over.. ..
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....same here. Kinda meh. Except for The Joshua Tree. They peaked with that masterpiece. Five Stars. Too bad they didn't have diamonds on the soles of their shoes....still. Much better than music "composed" on a laptop. Get Off My Motherboard!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm sure you've been there seeing how close it is to you.. Yes, it's a good album.. I think Brian Eno was involved somehow.. it was well engineered and produced. Joshua Tree is a special place though.. Oh well, bygones. it just never appealed to me.
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

it wont jim, I was a big U2 fan in middle/High School when they weren't even a current thing before Pop came out.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

One of the all time best. Along with Rattle and Hum. And that's about it from our Irish lads. Good luck tomorrow night Vguy.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You can see my house in the beginning of this one... I hadn't seen it before, a friend just sent me the link. These woman are pretty good.. 2'6" is stout.. high water on a steep creek that's a challenge at any level. Scratch that one has a beard.. I think they are couple.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I take your point about Jimmy Page and the Edge-but...Jimmy Page surely used the latest technology to get the best sound for Led Zeppelin. "Whole Lotta Love" wouldn't have sounded the same played acoustically. It seems to me that a lot of music- and art generally- embraces technology with the passage of time. Some people applaud the innovations and some people like it better the way it was. In blues you can trace a line for early country bluesman to Robert Johnson to Muddy Waters and on to The Rolling Stones/Jimi Hendrix/Led Zep rock music etc. All embraced the latest technology. Bob Dylan famously incurred the wrath of folk fans when he went electric in 1965. The innovators move ahead. Having said all this-I am very much a product of the 1960s-70s culture myself. I hardly listen to anything that was recorded after about 1975. I don't personally like digital music, and haven't really got the hang of streaming, downloading etc. I haven't even got a mobile phone. I never did like U2, either.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

when I saw Terrapin Moon's post, you are not alone moonie, I too just can't listen to them. Reminds me of a time way back when I compared another band to the GOGD, my deadhead buddy said "don't be sacrilegious". I know this is not the place to discuss cover bands, and I love Bobby, Mickey and Billy almost as much as I loved good old Garcia, but when the best thing about this band is the drum solos, you just got to wonder what they are thinking. Thank you TPTB for releasing all these great Grateful Dead shows, at least we still have these sonic journals of the greatest band ever to take us back to those good old days. I have posted on Mickey's site about this band and I think this might be the beginning of the end for this latest concoction. Mickey, bring back the Mickey Hart band, Bobby, bring back Ratdog or Furthur or the Other Ones. I also agree that they just want way too much cash for tickets. I did call the shakedown opener for their first show, anybody else call it?
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Really? Bad!? Seriously? So the only redeeming quality about the Grateful Dead and its music was Jerry Garcia? Sounds like a cult of personality to me, and that positioning that came about by the larger crowds in the 80's making him into some sort of pseudo-religious figure, is the type of shit that Jerry said freaked him out. Dead and Co. is carrying on the music in new and inventive ways, to see so many big smiles on stage it's pretty nuts to start saying this shouldn't be happening. If the band is happy, the crowd is into it and the music is doing interesting things, good things come out of it. Though I will agree the ticket prices are too high. Good thing I can watch them on my flashy tv and bose surround sound. Now I don't have to wade through piss to get to the urinal, deal with hairy k-snorting wooks invading dancing space to throw their sweat all over everyone and then run away, plus the family can freely imbibe whatever we like during the show. I was skeptical about the webcasts but these last two shows have started making me a convert. I am under the impression that the band thought the music is the most important and it happened to be their good fortune that the muse chose them to play through. I guess for me it's about the music not the men though I have pretty favorable opinions of them as people, at least they've been nice every time I've met them. The musicians are but merely vessels for the cosmic muse of inspiration, stop trying to compare apples to oranges, one makes great pies and the other is like eating the Sun, different but...yes,please. If the ethos and spirit of the Dead's music died completely with Jerry Garcia then the way the band believed it existed is made a lie by it's own fans. I don't remember hearing from my parents and their '60s acid-head friends that LSD and Dead music was about constants, repetition, singular individuals. It seemed like they were more about embracing new things and seeing where it takes you, into the both the inner and outer universe, then navigating from there using dead reckoning.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Looks like a great setting, and a very short commute to your real job, running the river. Does your vehicle have a bumper sticker saying My Other Car is a Kayak?
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

No doubt that bands since the beginning of time have used technology to improve their sound. My is issue with the use of technology to alter the sound. When Dylan went electric, he was still playing the guitar. Sure it angered the traditionalists, but it is still the guitar. When Garcia started using MIDI and his guitar sounded like a trumpet, I hated it and still do. If I hear a trumpet, I want to see a trumpet on stage. Yeah, I know the lines are blurred and I am splitting hairs. Just my preference. If I recall correctly, Branford Marsalis once commented in an interview that he felt the MIDI interferred with Garcia's sound and that it was unnecessary. In fairness, he then acknowledged that if he were playing the same instrument for 40 years, he would probably want to try something different. I am a bit surprised that my comments brought out the U2 haters. I had a chance to go see them back in 82 when they were still raw, but passed. Still kinda regret it. I do like them, just not my favorite. Saw D&C once. Really good show. Great sound. Mayer seems to be the best fit of all the iterations. But, I likely will never go again. Streaming isn't for me either. These bands need to be seen live.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Sure could use an announcement soon. The natives are getting restless.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, that was definitely one innovation too far, when Jerry started digitally changing the sound of his guitar to sound like other instruments. I think one of the synthetic sounds produced was supposed to be a bassoon. The sounds produced weren't as good as the ones made by the authentic instrument. It was a strange idea anyway, when he had one of the best guitar tones in history, to change it so that it sounded like a wind instrument. I thought it had a certain novelty value at the time , but I like it a lot less as time has passed. And when were the Dead ever about novelty? Its worthy to experiment-but by its very nature, not all experiments work. And some experiments seem okay at the time-but lose their appeal as time passes. I guess a lot of people liked it! Yes, we are waaay overdue for this box announcement. I favour 1969, at the moment. We have been anticipating for so long, my mind has changed as to what I would like several times already.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Had to comment as I have a very specific intersection of these two bands. Back in 1987 my brother, a friend and I were driving the NJ turnpike on our way to MSG to see the Dead when someone had the bright idea of taking our consumables. Well needless to say we entered NYC in a very altered state which made directions and anything requiring logical thought impossible. Completely missed the show, had about a dozen near death experiences as we drove in circles around Manhattan for hours. U2's Joshua Tree played in my friends cassette player on a loop. At first it was probably because changing the tape was too difficult, but after awhile it was because it was sooo damn good. By the end of that night I absolutely loved that album and I and still do. I don't think I ever had such an intense indoctrination into any album before or since.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I had the same psychedelic breakthrough clovett, but it wasn't The Joshua Tree. It was Huey Lewis & The News Sports. I know what you all are thinking. But LSD is a helluva drug....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Sorry for the brief blah comment last night. I should have passed. Live and learn.. hope there's no hard feelings.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Man, what's the deal with this guy? His name has always seemed to pop up over the years in Dead circles. I don't get it- his music seems the antithesis of the Dead's. But his name keeps popping up. A few months ago he joined the stage with Cubensis at the Ventura Skull and Roses festival. Seems weird. Maybe accidental VGuy type of experiences?
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

yeah i'll agree that's a lot of money to go see a cover band. and I don't know what else you'd call it. its a band that's not grateful dead playing songs and cover songs..... *whispers* that's a cover band *whispers* the phil and bobby duo tour grabbed me more from what I heard on nugs.net i'll be more apt to do that. its seems different
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The argument could be made that Grateful Dead became a cover band once Pigpen died.Jerry wasn’t the whole of the band. It’s just that some people make him out to be that way. The boys have every right to play in whatever band they want, to play their songs however they want, and to charge however much they want. They don’t have to justify it to you.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

...of psychedelic days gone by...I recall sitting on a rock in the summer sun, in the NY woods with some like minded friends, in a state of near-enlightened bliss. We were lost in silence in our private reveries, when I noticed rips in the very fabric of reality appearing before my eyes at random intervals, thin black lines that were erased by some unseen hand almost as soon as they appeared. After some time of amazed observation I realized, I was just a fool on a rock watching the trails of the gnats flying to and fro before my eyes, leading to an excellent laugh at myself. The incident is still clear as today in my minds eye despite the passage of more than 30 years.
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

they have a right to do it as much as I have a right to view it. and pigpen comment holds no weight. the songs were still recorded under the Grateful Dead name still making them grateful dead songs. FTW wasn't a cover band either they played under the name grateful dead. not under the name Dead Penis and Friends or what have you. phil and bob yeah its cover thing its just not as shitty I think.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Point taken icecrmkid. new respect for Huey. Thanks for posting.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The FTW mail order tickets are printed:“Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead”. Says the same thing on the piece of paper that came with them.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Jeff and Oteil are the stars.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Jeff Chimenti is my new man-crush. He is in his glory! I'll admit, and ask Sixtus, I was reluctant to make the effort to see this incarnation of a "Dead Cover Band" play. But, I gotta tell ya. The music and the scene make the spectacle worth the effort to be there. They are turning on the tap (as Phil says) pretty much at will on a nightly basis. I like the webcasts. I loved the live performance. Yes, prices. Yes, cover. Yes, get you some.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....they also had the best videos back in the day when MTV actually showed music videos. (hint. hot girls.) It comes full circle at times. Patrick Bateman was obsessed with them. (look it up). Never regretted being a News fan. Better than U2. Ghaaaah!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I have always liked the both.. very talented.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....that song is forever burned into my grey matter. I peaked during that song once. It was a glass slipper at the time. Cranking Sports now, because of flashbacks....y'all should dust it off too. I promise it won't suck. "One that makes me feel like I'm with you. When I'm alone with you." 4:20
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just saw that on The Simpsons the other day in the episode where Homer and Grandpa go to Canada to get cheap prescription drugs.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Go Knights Go!! I dreamt once that I died of a heart attack at a hockey game. Scouts honor.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

It's "I want a new drug", not "I need a new drug." I remember Huey showing up at Eugene 8/21/93. I thought, "wtf".
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I have a collection of 5 discs titled "Acid Reels". heard disc one today primal primal GD
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Go the place to myself tonight.. it's raining hard, my shoulders hurt so much it feels like my arms are going to fall off.. It looks as though tomorrow I'll do pretty much the same. I got my PITB tonight.. Pretty good. Streaming off the big screen and big boy system. The sound is perfect.. walls shaking but no plaster dropping on my head. Loud enough the cat decided it simply cannot hang, she might be back. If I get either a Morning Dew or a Comes A Time.. I will be in hog heaven. A good way to pass the time until we get Dave gets off his ass and records the seaside chat on our next Box Set. I really get the feeling it's going to be the Capitol Theatre. He gets in theme mode sometimes and '71 seems to be front and center. ..but I still have not switched the dials from the wayback away from Summer of '73. Peace all.. again, sincerely sorry for dissing U2 last night.. there is nothing wrong with them, just personal preference and I do try not to stray in those diretions. Passion for music is a good thing.. passion is a good thing. Negativity is virus like. It mutates, reproduces and lives on, and on.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

So right in the middle of UJB, Bobby: Hey.. we've got to power down for a few minutes.. we need to shut off the power. Someone else took the mic and invited the folks in the lawn to seek shelter from the storm that's about to hit. I believe they invited them into the pavilion area. Epic summer storms in NJ tonight.. If you go to Setlists.fm, they have already stated the second set setlists as PITB>UJB>The Other One.. Weird.. they did not get to TOO yet. Great start though. Some rain delay music.. Edit: Crap.. they killed the show. I don't recall that happening much in the good ole days.. the band kept playing on... Night folks.. not that anyone is out there, I have come to believe that everyone is watching hockey instead these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Speaking of which.. someone should check on VGuy. He warned earlier that bad sporting news might lead to health defects.. not that I am following the game. Go Caps. (kidding, I could care less).
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Last five.. (well two). Planned on listening, a little rain delay wont ruin that. I had a meloncoly moment tonight thinking about David D. He was always a positive influence here.. and forced me to at least contemplate grammar.. Either his probation officer wont let him log into dead.net anymore.. or I fear worse. D.D. you are sorely missed. I hope all is well wherever you are. Perhaps he was just on holiday with Bolo and got detained in the Ukraine or North Korea.. release is surely eminent.
user picture

Member for

13 years

... "If it makes people happy, isn't that the point?" - That Guy from that Time I'm not a fan of D&C either, but it is, and it makes people happy. That's enough for me. BTW - U2 is better than most of the bands that are regularly discussed here... actually, nearly all of the bands that are regularly discussed here. Also, I believe Steve Lilywhite produced "Joshua Tree" while Brian Eno was more involved on "Achtung Baby", which is BY FAR U2's best record. (So many definitive statements.) Oh, and the Edge is an amazing guitar player. On a Dead note, that 9/2/80 show I mentioned earlier has been on constant rotation... it's my last 5. So Good! Happy Saturday, Peace
product sku