• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have to say that DaP 26 is just a continuation of one the best things that has been done in Grateful Dead releases. First I never heard either of these shows so that alone is cool. I like how we are getting basically two complete shows, of which one has Pigpen. I was appreciative of the bonus disc explanation- makes sense. Plus I trust Dave; he is one of us so he does have the best interests of all of us at heart. I know that these releases don't always have the variety that some would like, and I can understand that. Yet we are getting great sounding shows, many of which are these recently returned tapes. Getting that music out is huge my opinion. Along with the many things I look for in a release, if we are getting the best quality shows both in performance and sound we are good to go. Dave and CO could have elected to go a different route with some these recent releases, but then again why wait to opt out this recently returned tapes? The other part is that this Dave's Picks series gives us 4 new shows (sometimes 5 with bonus discs) per year. I just can't think of a better way to approach this, at least in way that provides a consistent release pattern. The subscription is a golden ticket. I have it allotted in my budget every year, just as if it was another bill. The only risk is that I may not like a release that comes out. I can say the DaP 20 was one that really didn't do it for me- it wasn't terrible but not high in my rotation of shows. Conversely I missed out on releases 1-12 and I have regretted it ever since. I have managed to go back and get 6, and 9-12, of course at a high cost. DaP 5 still eludes me as I haven't quite been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on the $200-$275 range it sees to go for these days. I have to get it tough- it is my birthday show. I really dig the build up to the announcement, the subsequent discussion prior to the shipping date, and the the reviews after we get them in our hands. Having these releases and then a box set, plus a few other releases every year is wonderful. Between this, my better half, working out, and Brazilian jiu jitsu that is how I enjoy life. Also throw in the outdoors too. Good times!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

You really summed things up nicely, especially, "Plus I trust Dave; he is one of us so he does have the best interests of all of us at heart." Indeed, he is one of us.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I guess this has now officially turned into the Who 69-73 thread. Thanks for posting the videos. As far as the SG with single coil P 90's, man that is the sound. There was a description for Pete's lead in Heaven and Hell as vicious. Yes it's that but it's also crude sounding cause he strays out of key and gets kind of lost. A few clam notes are okay but there are times when I just say to myself he should not be attempting to go there. I think a couple single note licks here and there work but it's probably best to leave the lead playing to the Ox. Pete's rhythm/power chord playing is a thing of raw beauty & Pete is a tremendous songwriter. I still love the Ooo, flaws and all Edit: I gave it a relisten on a computer where I can hear the bass a bit better. Pete was not as off as I initially thought. On key for the most part. He may not be as lickety split a guitarist as Clapton & Page but the feel is great.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Agreed. The discussion is getting old. It's like debating which is a better pet. A guinea pig or a turtle. The answer is neither. It's a dog. I never saw the Doors live, but here are the bands from Canadaland I have seen that were better than the Who. The Band Neil Young The Tragically Hip Blue Rodeo Cowboy Junkies Bruce Cockburn I chose Canadaland as a nod to the Stanley Cup playoffs. And my beloved Winnipeg Jets. I've been a Jets fan for almost a week now.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I haven’t disliked any DaP. When I first got on the bus (4-6-89, although I was aware of them years earlier and had cassettes of studio albums, but they didn’t come to my geographic area regularly - 84, then absent until 88, but I didn’t know about the 88 show until afterwards) there were few official live recordings. So, I started collecting cassette tapes of shows, and at the beginning they were really hissy. I spent many, many hours listening to hissy cassettes with muddy sound. And all it did was convince me that I needed more cassettes and that I needed to see more shows. Fast forward to present - these official releases sound amazing, and often are shows that weren’t in circulation. They are a blessing! And the shows that I previously had on cassette and are now being released in Full-Norman are also a blessing. Bring on more blessings!!!!! Thanks Dave and Company!
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

I personally love DaP20. I have turned a lot of folks onto this show. We have all heard plenty of Dead tapes where they might shit the bed in a few sections throughout the show and we love it....why the hate for this one? Once they blow it to hell with the Jack Straw it is almost like they spend the rest of the show trying to make up for one SNAFU and they ABSOLUTELY DESTROY the rest of the show. I listen to more 80's Dead than you can shake a stick at so I am very biased, I understand this. But really...why all the hate?
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Canadaland bands I have seen:The Guess Who (2x) Rush (3x) The Band (didn’t actually ‘see’ them, I listened to them from outside of Soldier Field 7-8,9-95 and went in after they were done).
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....going to break out the brooms tonight against the Queens boyz. Someone needs to make up some "I Trust Dave" stealie stickers. Etsy?
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

And, you're welcome.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I too am a fan of this show. After the melt down during Jack Straw, they are on fire! I don’t consider myself an 80’s head or a 70’s head, or any particular era. I love it all. I only got to see them with Jerry twice in the 90’s and I consider myself very lucky I got to see them the two times I did. I wish it could have been 1000 times, but at least I get to hear what I missed with these great releases. So, bring it on. 80’s - hell yes, 90’s - hell yes. Keith? Brent? Vince? Yes! I want it all! Dave, keep up the good work!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....there should have been 26 balloons on the Albuquerque cover. I count 22. Just an observation. Side effect of my OCD.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...’When the mind is wild with mockery And filled with pride and haughty arrogance, And when you want to show the hidden faults of others, To bring up old dissensions or to act deceitfully, And when you want to fish for praise, Or criticize and spoil another’s name, Or use harsh language, sparring for a fight, It’s then that like a log you should remain.’... https://www.tibetanbuddhistaltar.org/vigilance-from-the-way-of-the-bodh… Vigilance: From “The Way of the Bodhisattva” by Shantideva :)
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...’When the mind is wild with mockery And filled with pride and haughty arrogance, And when you want to show the hidden faults of others, To bring up old dissensions or to act deceitfully, And when you want to fish for praise, Or criticize and spoil another’s name, Or use harsh language, sparring for a fight, It’s then that like a log you should remain.’... https://www.tibetanbuddhistaltar.org/vigilance-from-the-way-of-the-bodh… Vigilance: From “The Way of the Bodhisattva” by Shantideva :)
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

There is a Dave's picks 5 currently listed at a low bid. Maybe this is a good week, with deadheads spending on DaP 26. Also a new E72 show for cheap 49.99. Dave's picks 5 But is $36.99 EBay item # 302704972702 Grateful Dead Europe '72 5/11/72 bid is $49.99 EBay Item number 202289833585 I noticed Pete too on that solo, and it was very uncharacteristic. Not saying he was a virtuoso by any means, but that wasin no way typical. It was so unusual I took note and replayed it. It looks like Pete went off track in the guitar solo because Entwistle was fixing a broken string. The base clearly dropped out and it was just Townshend and then Moon playing, and you can see Entwistle sort of side stage.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Forgot a few things. Dave's picks 5. By all means, grab that one. The best release of the entire series, IMHO. Tom Petty. Never got into the band. Not sure why. Although I do think Mudcrutch is very good. Petty's songs always seemed a bit too much "pop" for me. Or it could be when he and Bob Dylan toured with the GD, his band played "Hey Spike, what do you like" every night. Plus it took an entire squad to bring out his top hat. Or maybe it was the Silence of the Lambs soundtrack. It puts the lotion in the basket.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I was pleasantly surprised that the carry over thought from DAP 25 or whatever the fuck it was continued right up this Who/Doors tangent. I don't get tired of it. I try to maintain the excitement and enthusiasms for life as I did as a wee lad, and later, why just earlier tonight the wife gave me the crooked smile... People here like Duryea, publicly, lay down the most awesomest of Deadposts I can't even begin to contribute on that level. But I sense hockey fans here, probably (gasp!) football fans and creatures of all colours who cling desperately to the Grateful Dead. For reasons their own... count me among them. The Who, the Doors, Pink Floyd Neil Young Bob and the Beatles and what's his name, Mick... It is all good. Talk will turn back to the next Dead release when the needle drops. Best,
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I guess you didn't count the birds! I can see 26 birds!How deadicated are we?? Romeo Nathan
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

...delivered big time with Quadrophenia and nearly with By Numbers, i think. 1) Quadrophenia is among the best ever conceived and played works of the rock genre. Like Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper ever. Thrill to Who rock, riffing and pounding about on the utter pain and loneliness from really looking in the mirror, if you don't know this ambitious work that has aged incredibly well, dive in immediately. 2) At least half of By Numbers (side 1 plus Blue Red and Grey) is pretty fucking great, perfectly styled and dynamic Who music and right in tune with Pete's earlier growing-old-sucks rant. Good treasure those two records.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I hear you, AJS. Tom sat on the pop side of the scale for sure, though he and the band could jam live when they had a mind to. I connected with his music when I was young, like I did with the Dead, and he rolled with me until now. Check out his cover of "Friend of the Devil" on his live anthology though. It's pretty sweet. In fact, the whole live anthology might give you a different perspective on his music in general.
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

...obviously validating their own self pity. Not everyone can get it. That's life. Just glad i'm on the good side of the fence and will continue to be! (Thanks to a good job and being smart with money early on.) Now bring on that lovely Summer '73 Box Set announcement. It's time.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, his material that is not mainstream is actually quite good.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Looks like it might be somewhere in Philly, because of train and weeds, looks about 1973.Jim
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

Dave is waaaaay overdue for a '74 show in the series. I nominate 5-19-74 P-town Wall of Sound Bobby's rhythm guitar really dialed in....and count down to Lift-Off in.... Erm. Too soon ?!? Lols.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Congrats. Wow. Unreal sweep. The Kings had Brown, Carter and Kopitar. All jammers. Not sissy ass pricks like cindy. These guys are grinders. Real grinders. And you beat them. Good for you. And how did you get Fleury again? Hot goalie wins the cup.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Love Quadrophenia...I have an MFSL Gold Disc, sound is incredible/Bass playing...Who By Numbers is an overlooked Gem. #60 danc Offline Joined: Sep 11 2007 The Who... ...delivered big time with Quadrophenia and nearly with By Numbers, i think. 1) Quadrophenia is among the best ever conceived and played works of the rock genre. Like Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper ever. Thrill to Who rock, riffing and pounding about on the utter pain and loneliness from really looking in the mirror, if you don't know this ambitious work that has aged incredibly well, dive in immediately. 2) At least half of By Numbers (side 1 plus Blue Red and Grey) is pretty fucking great, perfectly styled and dynamic Who music and right in tune with Pete's earlier growing-old-sucks rant. Good treasure those two records.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Love Quadrophenia...I have an MFSL Gold Disc, sound is incredible/Bass playing...Who By Numbers is an overlooked Gem. #60 danc Offline Joined: Sep 11 2007 The Who... ...delivered big time with Quadrophenia and nearly with By Numbers, i think. 1) Quadrophenia is among the best ever conceived and played works of the rock genre. Like Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper ever. Thrill to Who rock, riffing and pounding about on the utter pain and loneliness from really looking in the mirror, if you don't know this ambitious work that has aged incredibly well, dive in immediately. 2) At least half of By Numbers (side 1 plus Blue Red and Grey) is pretty fucking great, perfectly styled and dynamic Who music and right in tune with Pete's earlier growing-old-sucks rant. Good treasure those two records.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Nice tip of the hat by Reijo29 to the Kinks yesterday. They had an incredible run of singles in the 60s that were definitely as good, if not better than those cut by any band that weren't The Beatles. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to adapt to the more aggressive landscape of the 70s too well. And that song, Waterloo Sunset, is one of the most beautiful records of any era. There was a great rendition of the song in a play shown on television in 1971, called Edna The Inebriate Woman. Its about an older woman who is homeless and has an alcohol problem, and the play follows her in her downward trajectory through hospital, prison etc. etc At the end of the play-still suffering from problems-she sits down at a piano, maybe in a hostel, and sings Waterloo Sunset with her cracked and damaged voice. And it is beautiful. I haven't watched Daves chat yet. But I am sure that is beautiful too.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm a sucker for anniversary show dates, none more than Europe '72. I think 4/17 is one of the premier shows. There are a lot of shows in this set where you can't hear Keith too much, but he is ever-present on this one. Trivia question - what do Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) and Good Lovin' have in common? Answer - she got her leg up against the wall.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

I am excited for this release- the good Doctor has shown me the light of '71 Dead as he has many others, I'm sure, and this one looks like a phenomenal release. To prepare, I listened to Austin Road Trips yesterday and it's just awesome. Dave spoke about it a little bit in the basement chat, but the first set Dark Star and the Chinacat jam in NFA>GDTRFB is really cool along with just about the whole dang show! I don't mind breaking up the Ann Arbor setlist (seems mostly to be for business reasons); it should be easy enough to piece it together, but I do wish they would've cut Run Run Rudolph instead of whatever else it was that they cut. The boys do a good version of Rudolph, but the one from last year was enough for me. Anyway, what about Gainesville? Hofheinz Vinyl is the truth! RSD--> take my money!! Happy Wednesday, all.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

true saying, all that shines is not gold.Like the good book says, you gotta reap what you sow.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Where are the tapes?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

As most of us know the PTB have used the Bonus Disc as a carrot to entice salesAnd as such they represent a unique set of releases. I am glad I was able to be able to purchase the Road Trip series as they were released. And similarly with the Dave's Picks series (Dick's Picks needed no extras as it was unique at the time) With the Dave's Picks Bonuses There are quite a few covers Like 2012 Nobody's Fault But Mine 2013 Smokestack Lightning I Know You Rider Good Lovin' 2014 Clear 2015 I Know You Rider 2016 Clear 2017 I Know You Rider Road Trips Even More So 1.1 I Know You Rider 1.2 Iko Iko 1.3 Hard To Handle Sing Me Back Home Big Boss Man Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Turn On Your Lovelight 1.4 Good Lovin' 2.1 Clear 2.2 Viola Lee Blues Good Morning Little Schoolgirl Turn On Your Lovelight 2.3 Morning Dew Around And Around Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad 2.4 Gloria Broken Arrow Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again 3.1 Clear 3.2 I Know You Rider Me And My Uncle 3.3 Cold Jordan Beat It On Down The Line Next Time You See Me Not Fade Away > Turn On Your Lovelight 3.4 Clear 4.1 No Bonus 4.2 No Bonus 4.3 I Know You Rider 4.4 No Bonus 4.5 No Bonus Oh and for those that made it this far GDRadio is playing 12/15/71 right now
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Confused by this too. Was never an issue in the past. Why now? Ahhh, lawyers , guns and money involved no doubt. Hence Dave lying low in the basement. Fired up for the ‘71 shows and pending mystery (Spring 73!?) box set.
product sku