• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

A bad bad boy. Been doing so well on the Golden Road until about six weeks ago. I was at the local hippy hang out/restaurant about 6 weeks ago. I am full on shaggy, so shaggy, even a mother could not love it, me being it. I ask a young lady if she was going to sit at this table she responded back "No." I turned around and waited for the other couple of friends to show up. She turned around and asked me my name, I said "G", wink. She responded that she was Shauna. Shauna is a hospice nurse and she was brought in to stay with me over night after I got out of the hospital. She is so kind, she would sleep on the couch and all I had to do was call her cell phone and let it ring once and she would wake and tend to me. I was staying with family, so that kept the whole house from having to be awakened. She was there talking and laughing as I asked her, "how in the hell did you recognize me?" She responded "your eyes and your voice." So we are talking and all of a sudden a guy walks up and says, "G", wink. It was an old friend from childhood, a head that moved from my home town to San Fran back in 1986 or so. So then I asked him, "how in the hell did you recognize me?" He said he heard my voice laughing and booming across the restaurant. So anyway, he works for the red cross and also for hospice also. So then they hit if off and went on a long conversation for which I was basically a chair or stool or fool for lack of input. Well it turns out my friend Jim had moved to San Fran, then to Oregon then to Chicago, etc. but had now buried his mother and gad moved back home. He is a huge head. Not sure any can remember when we were having the WoS discussion back in early 2016 when Dave's Picks 17 came out. I discussed some of bear's thoughts, about him being in the air force, and how radar technology started him down the physics trail. I wrote about the owl and stereo and triangulation, etc. Different story for a different time. I also wrote about the WoS and the noise cancelling features and how they worked. I wrote about even BMW (???) had started to place microphones on the bottom of the car and then sending reverse sound wave, anti sound wave? laugh, back through the stereo system to cancel out the sounds of the car rolling down the road. One thing I discussed was Polk audio and how they were the first home stereo speaker system to use bear's research to create better stereo imaging. Jim had the Polk stereo system which had the noise cancelling system embedded. Still maybe the best stereo imaging I have ever heard. OK enough of that. This friend Jim is also a huge Zappa fan. As we discussed the fellas and Zappa and stuff he talked about seeing Dweezil and sound boards. So the reason I have been a little out of pocket is that he started feeding me some incredible Dweezil board tapes. Man that guy knows how to put out some tasty boards. I will explain more about that when we get on another Zappa tangent. I know many of you all are huge Zappa Freaks also. That is why I consider myself a bad bad boy...the Golden Road is never to be left for too long. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

KeithFan2112, this is gonna be a lot as I just recently looked into this question (about a month ago) when I was listening to 8/23/71 on archive.org. Here's my review of the show, then further down, what I gathered about the lists for the two nights, 8/23 and 8/24: -- Reviewer: mcgrupp216 - March 16, 2018 Subject: su71 Chicago This is the next available Chicago show after the slate of available 69s: 25-26 April and 4-5 July. I couldn't find audio for 31-1 January/February and can't find audio for the one 1970 Chicago show, played on Black Friday, 27 November. What a difference a couple years in GD history makes, wow! Some confusion on dates and lists, but this show and setlist is indeed 8/23/71. (It is not 8/24, as I've occasionally seen it listed as, which is featured, entire, on Dick's Picks Vol. 35, together with 8/7 from San Diego.) Much of the show is featured on the Summer '71 Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 3, Disc 2, which includes (from set 1) China->Rider and Sugaree and (from set 2) Truckin', Cryptical->drums->o1->me and my uncle->o1->cryprical->wharf rat-, and sugar magnolia. (Disc 1, for those keeping track, features material from New Haven, 7/31, and the "bonus" 3rd disc is from Hollywood CA and San Pedro, respectively played on 8/6 and 8/4.) This show is fantastic. There's of course some bitter irony -- Dylan M. alludes to this -- "the boys" sound so fresh and alive during this show and the summer of '71, at precisely the time Pig Pen's regular standing in the band was being phased out. He would finish out the tour (he's there on 8/24 and 8/26), take a four-month hiatus, returning in December 1971 until June '72, after which he officially retired (last show, 6/17). So the next night, 8/24, would be his final Chicago show. He led vocals on strong versions of It Hurts Me Too, Empty Pages, Big Boss Man, and Good Lovin' and on 8/23 he led on Mr. Charlie, Next Time You See Me, and Big Boss Man. It's nice to hear him backing up on NFA, too. Back to the music: Phil is popping off on lead-bass all show and most of these songs absolutely bounce. 8/24/71 is also fantastic, must-listen '71 dead. I can't find a copy in the archive, but fortunately it's widely available and featured, entire, on Dick's Picks Vol. 35. Show highlights include song debuts of Brown Eyed Women (neat, different, early pilot version) and Empty Pages (new, unfortunately little played Pig Pen tune, would only be played one more time a couple nights later), the high-energy NFA->GDTRFB->NFA medley, and the nearly 12-minute Good Lovin' to close. Four stars for what we get from 8/24 as the "salvageable" parts lack any deep jams. 5 stars for the evening prior, I'd say perhaps on the strength of the night's cryptical suite ending with wharf rat, alone. -- The following setlist from archive.org is confirmed by some discussion I found on "Missing 1970 Shows," a blog entry from the following link: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2009/08/missing-1970-shows.html. Wrote Light Into Ashes, 19 June 2013: " Per David Lemieux, this is the complete 8/23/71 setlist (* were released) - Set 1 Big RR Blues, Playing In The Band, Mr. Charlie, Sugaree*, El Paso, Next Time You See Me, Bertha, Me and Bobby McGee, Cumberland Blues, Big Boss Man, Loser, Promised Land, China>Rider*, Casey Jones Set 2 Truckin'*, Bird Song, Cryptical>Drums>Other One>Me and My Uncle>Other One>Cryptical>Wharf Rat*, Deal, Brokedown Palace, Sugar Magnolia*, NFA>GDTRFB>NFA>Johnny B. Goode " Finally, as for 8/24, here's more from that blog entry discussion: " And this is the released part of 8/24/71 (according to Lemieux, "all that was salvageable") - Uncle John's Band, Playing In The Band, Loser, Hurts Me Too, Cumberland Blues, Empty Pages, BIODTL, Brown Eyed Women, St Stephen > Not Fade Away > GDTRFB > NFA, Me and Bobby McGee, Big Boss Man, Brokedown Palace, Good Lovin' (The rest of the setlist is not known for sure, but probably includes some of the songs on the "8/23/71" deadbase setlist.) " Hope that helps! PS: btw, if Light Into Ashes (or anyone else) is reading, you must get back in the archive.org. You mentioned there's only incomplete AUD recordings of 8/23 and that a SBD doesn't seem likely to ever circulate. My review is of a really excellent Charlie Miller transfer, uploaded by Matthew Vernon on 20 October 2013. Must-listen!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I don't know who Hoffman is, but Albert Hofmann delivered a gift to the world for sure:) Things to read:LSD My Problem Child - Albert Hofmann Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley The Rose of Paracelsus - William Leonard Pickard (yes, yes, yes) Heads - Jesse Jarnow The Psychedelic Renaissance - Dr. Ben Sessa ...Well it starts like a roller coaster ride, so real it takes your breath away it slides you through your point of view, you look back to where you thought you'd stayed your ride changes outside view, while it glides you like a neon ray, and you find you don't have to search for words, 'cause theres nothing you need to say well come on, you gotta let it happen to you, come on, and let it happen to you, you gotta open up your mind and let everything come through...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Hate to rip open the wound but have to weigh in on this. The Who to me is exponentially better than the Doors. It’s not even close. The doors have some good songs ... yes. but most songs I find them generally to be monotonous after the first minute or two. In terms of best super group. I always liked The Who better than zeppelin or stones. But to me, In terms of talent and diversity, the Beatles are the best in a league of their own. Who, zeppelin stones are all a level below. Well, Dylan would be there too with Beatles but he isn’t a “band” per se. But the dead is my favorite and always has been for reasons stated. Though One thing the dead has done that no one else has (that I know). They spawned a unique sub-culture via the dead heads. Yes most bands have a “following” but nothing like the dead and deadheads. In addition, in my opinion the started the jam band genre. And from that they could be next to only Dylan in terms of influence on later generations of music (talking only rock and roll of course). Finally, when u factor in their approach to things like random set lists, giving away their music via taping section, mail order for ticket sales etc .... there is nothing like the dead.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I dig those 13th Floor Elevators, and particularly some of the lyrics. Easter Everywhere was background music on a lot of trips.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

And go Bruins! I’ve been watching them since early 70’s in the Orr Espo days and don’t ever remember them having this many good young players. They look might tough to beat.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

IFC network is showing s t o n e r movies tomorrow, including C&C's Next Movie. Always loved that one. Today TCM is showing some interesting movies. Right now, "A Hard Day's Night" is on. I watched at "Having a Wild Weekend" staring the Dave Clark Five. I have also been rewatching some of the old Beach Movie's with Annette and all. TCM shows "Greenwich Village: The Music that defined a Generation," with interviews of Pete Seeger, Kris Kristofferson, Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie at 6:15 Easter. It is short. Also tonight, they are showing "Hold On", destination way way way out, with Herman's Hermits.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Thanks for all the on-point posts today.. Shirdeep's bicycle post was a revelation to me.. so my first dead show (4/19/82), which happened to be my strongest psychedelic show (young and perhaps had one above my limit) was on the anniversary of the infamous bicycle ride on April 19th, 1943. The space from that show in particular, Raven Space in honor of Edgar Allan Poe as the show was in Baltimore was especially fun and gooey. I've given a show report from that night before.. the synopsis - on the way to our seats, who is this nice young gentleman under the stairwell making eye contact? Doses, yes please. First set.. very good. Second set, goodness I can no longer feel my hands. Raven Space, madness mayhem, then how on gods green earth are we going to find the car. More mayhem.. driving home with a taper meant we had to endure that Space again.. my nerves are shot and I can't take it anymore.. home and alive, up all night, school already. ahhhh.. The joys of youth. 1982 is a bit of a sleeper year.. a good year and under-rated albeit the recordings suffer a bit. So bicycle day was my first show. 36 years later, makes perfect sense.. I guess you could say part of the master plan.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

First discovered The Elevators' "Easter Everywhere" and Roky Erickson's "The Evil One" in college. It was love at first listen. They've both been in regular rotation ever since.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Always loved that show. Not sure I have ever heard a board of it. I still have never had the thin board issue, I just sink in and go with it. Just go with it, man...
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I am planning on getting the Feb 1969 show on vinyl that is being released on RSD, but I have no intention of going out to a shop to get it on Saturday. The nearest one is about 40 miles away, and the only time I went on this day there was a massive queue-so I didn't get in. I just assumed it would be available on Amazon for a while after the day of its release, and that I would be able to order it from them. All the other ones seem to have been.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

easter everywhere's slide machine...I was listening to that a few years ago while driving on very icy roads, going to pick up my wife. "slide machine" "trying to get back to you" it fit the moment very well.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I had that same moment at the Centrum in Worcester Massachusetts spring 1987. Yet mine was a bit more paranoid. I kept saying to my buddy we will never find the car or New York again. Forced my buddy to leave with me during drums. The car was there. Tried driving and I felt like I was driving into a ditch, I was not. Stopped immediately. Finally came down a bit and basically my little Datsun 280z helped to jump start a bunch of Heads’ stalled cars and vans. About 4am I was able to drive down the Massachusetts Turnpike going 25 miles per hour in the right lane. Heck of a trip
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

13th floormiss those daze jammin with roky in bleib alien picking buttons in laredo dont forget mayo thompson little band from houston 1966
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....how about finding the keys to the car? I think i've told this story before, but its pretty funny. Me and three other friends drove up to see the Monterey shows in '88. After the shows, we were packing up the tents, etc, getting ready to walk back to where we parked the car in the lot. Couldn't find the keys. Panic ensued. Spent a couple hours scouring the camping area and personal belongings to no avail. We asked each other when the last time anyone saw them. Shrugged shoulders all around. Security starting moving towards up to tell us we had to leave. Major panic attack. My buddy the sheepishly held them out in his hand. "Where where they!?!" "In my back pocket." ....
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Dude, where is my car. Never had that problem leaving a show. Although now I have that experience when I leave a convenience store and the car is right there. I was busy and did not get to post on the anniversary of 1987-03-22, Hampton. I previously posted several times about that show. Once I posted about pulling into the parking lot and parking way out, closer to the entrance than the Shakedown. I was rolling one when a Virginia state police pulled up behind us. Quickly stuff the bag in my pants and got out. State police looked at me and shook his head. I knew it was because we were from so far away. Look down, and the dang baggie is hanging out of my pocket. Anyone that knows Virginia knows that officer was way more gracious than normal, way more. I also posted once about how when we got back to the hotel at about 2am or so, the Exorcist was starting so we watched that while we were way beyond dosed. Once I posted about the amount of energy in the building that night. It was Jerry alive and back on the East coast again. Just crowd in full on joy and energy that even got more crazy the next night. But where is my car nah. How about where is my hotel. We normally stayed at the Strawberry Banks when in Hampton or right down street from the coliseum at the Days Inn I think. This night for one night we had a room further north than the Strawberry Banks. We left knowing where we were. But coming back, we got lost. Lost in a circle. We knew the hotel was right there. We would get off of the interstate could not find and then go back down the interstate, turn around and try again. We made this 5-7 mile circle 5 or 6 times before we finally found the hotel. It was right where we left it. Thing is, there was a hill there and when we got off of the interstate we werent driving far enough to top the hill and see the hotel. Now this is what is weird, we were so relieved to find the hotel, the Exorcist was a piece of cake. Ahhh good times, well except the panic of being in that circle...
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I cannot imagine that. wow... one more Doors reference... When the Music's Over scared me good one time (1985). I thought JM was telling us to commit suicide by stabbing ourselves in the stomach. "now. now? AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! SAVE US! JESUS!" creeeepy af.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Q: How do you know when it is springtime in Canadaland? A: The Leafs are out.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Q: How do you know when its springtime in Las Vegas?A: Who cares! Golden Knights gonna be eating some shark fin soup in the second round. Shark fin soup buffet....
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I have a good board of it.. happy to pass it on to anyone who want its it. Just PM me. I have never met a Peggy-O I would not have Married-O.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Been on a Dead & Co. listening binge for a day now. Damn, when I'm in the right frame of mind to accept it it's such beautiful stuff... Chimenti and Oteil are virtuosos who never show off, because that would be beneath them. Bob has aged wonderfully, his voice deepened both in range and character. I love him. He carries forward the torch, Jerry's little brother. The drummers, crazy fucks, will probably be the last to die of all the original guys. Like Keith Richards and cockroaches, some things just cannot be killed. John was such the right guy to carry this forward. He has put his whole soul into it and he knows how blessed he is - this is his redemption. He sings better than ever and has such a reverence for this music, yet he's becoming more comfortable stretching out, finding himself in these songs. Love his Friend of the Devil and Brown-Eyed Women. And, of course, his kick-ass guitar playing. When he's on and wailing he holds his own across the board. I love that PRS Super Eagle, it's my dream guitar. Warning: shameless plug forthcoming. https://prsguitars.com/supereagle2/ \m/
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Chimenti and Oteil is right. Amazing Talent.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Great to see that Schumer article. Hope it comes to fruition. I’ve switched gears to the NBA as there are no late hockey games tonight. Too bad the Sharks and Knights had to break out the brooms. Used to get long 7 game first rounders. That Leafs Spring time post sure rings true. Montreal used to win all the time. Now it’s been even longer than my Rangers drought. Though I’d happily trade places with them. Rangers have only one cup in last 78 years. Don’t give it up, you got an empty cup.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Things we know about the box set... The box will not be yellow.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....the more I look at it, the more I love it. If their energy even remotely resembles the Austin show prior, disappointments will be at a premium. We are in for a treat....
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

So odd. They were a dynasty for almost the entire history of the NHL. Hockey royalty growing up. Then the last 30 years. Nothing. Other than that bullshit illegal stick nonsense against the Kings in 93. And don't even get me started on Toronto. Somehow they anointed themselves the overlords of hockey. Everything runs through us. It's been 50 years since you have done anything guys. Another bad fail tonight. God I hate Marchand. Almost as much as Crosby. But, God Bless Doc Emrick. Best announcer of all time. Amazing how well he speaks. Hockey is by far the most difficult sport to call. Each night the guy remembers how to pronounce all those names with 12 consonants and 1 vowel. Never a flub. I don't spin E72 each year like others because I listen to him during the playoffs.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yeah. I do know that. A few days ago I posted about how good they were live. Very understated. Margo is elegant. Sultry. Towards the end of the show she announced that it would be their last song because all the guys in the band wanted to go watch the end of the Leafs game. She felt bad and said she would come out and talk to people if they wanted to stick around. We did and got to talk to her for about 15 minutes. Very cool lady. By the way, my brother stopped by earlier tonight and he evidently knows Alex Tuch fairly well. Who knew. Good luck to your boys. I look forward to the showdown with my beloved Jets. No late night hockey sucks. The nba is unwatchable.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

...The more I look at it, .. the more I like it. I DO THINK ITS GOOD!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

So, I get no credit for calling the hot air balloons as the cover art over a month ago? King Crimson. Saw them in 82. Very cool.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....no arguments here. Oh look! Another three pointer! Snooze. The sound of ice skates shaving ice is much more ear crack than squeaking sneakers as well....I met Margo after a Junkies show in Napa Valley once. Bodyguard right behind her didn't phase me when I shook her hand and mumbled something about how good they were that night. They only played Vegas once. I was there with the Mrs. That was back in 2006? Rumor has it they haven't been back because the crowd was too rowdy and loud. I agree....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....if I closed my eyes and just listened, it would sound like Talking Heads/The Clash/Motorhead/Phish/Primus had a baby. Then I opened my eyes and saw that it was King Crimson. Brilliant.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

sorryThat was supposed to be a PM. Too burned right now Jim,I'll try again tomorrow.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

bonjour all. still making my way slowly through The Illustrated Trip book & i recently saw that they did play at the Expo in Montreal on 8/6/67. so many random nuggets in this book, check it out if you haven't already.
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. I repeat myself when I'm distressed.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

CNBC business in honor of the day was playing a nice "Let It Grow" as they came back from commercial. It was hard to determine the year, I believe about 1980 or 1981. You know, they were talking over it. Also played a little Damn Yankees "Can you take me high enough". Man got to get my stuff done and start on our green day.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

26 Balloons and Birds...I seem 'em now. Good Stuff.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I’ll second that Reric about the illustrated trips book. Great reference point for shows but also has some great history nuggets about the times and characters present while the shows were happening. For the most part I’ve decided to take it on chronologically, although you can very easily flip to the month or year of your choosing for quick reference. I’m up to page 42 which is a 4-5 page section on Phil, circa 1965.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I've been listening to all things 1971 in the past couple of weeks. Does anyone else's Daves picks vol 3 cut off the opening lick of Bertha It sounds like the edit at the beginning of this show was just a split second too far into the song. Or maybe my copy is bad. But I don't have the original to compare.
user picture

Member for

11 years

First, a very merry 4.20 to all, tonight's celebration will be with Deadgrass, performing in a little college town just across the river... Thanks LedDed, I think, dangerous stuff for anyone with G.A.S. and $20+K to spare. Not me but I had to look and without a drool cup... gorgeous instrument. Mayer is nailing it. Long admired two PRS players, Carlos and the other JM, McLaughlin. Went to see that John last fall at The Egg/Albany on his farewell tour, still blazing fast... he was on at least 2 maybe three different PRS's... Then had a great PRS experience in December, a house concert over in New Hamster. Maybe thirty people gathered to hear Tony McManus in a living room. Sat five feet away from a world class player and his exquisite guitar... as house concerts offer unique opportunities, hung out afterwards with host friend Dan, sipping a reserve cask Talisker, talking music with Tony. He offered the guitar to play... right, yeah, sure... after two hours of great talent, I noodled for two minutes. What a guitar... like the below, except on steroids, custom one off job. http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/acoustics/privatestock/private_stoc… http://www.tonymcmanus.com/?page_id=197
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

From RSD website: "The Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 2/27/69 show, along with 3 others from the same year was released in the limited edition CD boxed set, The Complete Fillmore West 1969 in November 2005. The box, which was limited to only 10,000 units sold out quickly and the coveted shows have been unavailable physically ever since. We plan to release all 4 shows on vinyl over the next 4 years. This will be a Limited Edition, 4 LP (8th side etching,) on 180 gram vinyl."
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

For those interested the RSD Fillmore show IS widely available immediately from many stores through Ebay. I don't have the time tomorrow to get to the local store and it is too far for me to spend a weekend morning driving to Northampton to come up empty, since last time there was a line of heads out the door and people walking around with armfuls of all the best stuff, somewhat frustrating. I had to pay double what it will cost in store I would imagine, cheapest I could find was 140$. I already have buyers remorse but oh well, don't tell the wife!
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Yes Yes YES. This is a great show for sure. The Scarlet > Fire is off the hook and hits multi- peaks. Worth a listen for that right there alone. I shall plan to cue this up for my 4/20 listening later today. Also VGuy very glad to see that Schumer article too. Although where we are it's not an issue, even less so for you (aka totally available and legal; we have only to wait until July and you'll find me waiting in that long line too....) Happy Day DeadFreaks Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

What have we seen from the returned tapes from 76. Is this year the year we see a 76 box set to go with the returned 77 and 78 boxes. I don't know why 76 gets a bad rap. I think it is a year we have not seen the best of. 7-18-76 is just a monster show as well as 8-4-76. Those june and july shows are very underated.
product sku