• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....after watching that King Crimson video last night, I proceeded to auto play youtube videos of them. Stayed up waaaaay past my bedtime then fell asleep in my chair. Woke up at 3 am with a sore neck. All your fault Jim!....
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

The Earth is Life. The Grateful Dead is Love. 4/20/84 Good Show. Over time RSD to release all four Fillmore '69 shows yes! Thank Allah.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Illustrated Trips book is fantastic. Amazing pictures, facts, etc. Great timeline through the years tour by tour, day by day in some cases. It's kind of a bible of sorts to me being that my Deadbase is online only & I don't know how to use it all that well. Illustrated Trips is a must own. Crimson. I bought tickets in 1984 to see them on the Pier in Manhattan. They blew my mind completely. I was expecting the mellotron driven 70's era sound. I owned the 69 LP with the cover of all covers and the young persons guide LP. I had no idea the 80's version was a completely different band. Like the Talking Heads on angel dust. Actually they are very hard to describe but Vegas Knights guy nailed it. Funny how Belew rocks the Pee Wee Herman look. I usually hate electronic drums but not when Bill Bruford is on them. He is hands down one of the best drummers of any era. What a refreshing band to find at the time when all I listened to was 60's 70's and a bit early 80's rock off the radio station. I had no idea such radical stuff was going on. Of course they ceased to exist a couple months later but then I discovered Live Grateful Dead and the great American underground indie rock scene of the Meat Puppets, Replacements, etc Last night the NBA put me right to sleep
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I like it! 4.20.84 is a very nice show. Even with a Day Job encore. Bruford is mesmerizing.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The buyers remorse will wane, but the Dark Star will remain.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I've never been so synced with the Europe 72 tour. Finding myself antsy on these stretches between shows. Yesterday, was listening to Newcastle again. Love that Other One! Is that a mind left body jam in TOO? Long Strange Trip includes a reveal that the E72 eye dropper was 10X stronger than usual due to a Ramrod "mistake". Was this story known before? I guess that explains a lot. Best.Tour.Ever. Happy 4/20 Fridaze, Bredren!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

on RSD, even if only on vinyl, I'm guessing they'll do the same for the early Dave's Picks eventually too. Why wouldn't they? At least the most popular ones will be easy sellouts. I'll wait for the ones I missed. Luckily, there aren't that many of them. No reason to pay the ebay extortionist prices.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

You just made up my mind for me. I am going to be coaching tee ball all morning tomorrow, so I just pulled the trigger on eBay. The remorse will fade, but that Dark Star.... I think DP 2 will be the holiday listen tonight. Happy Friday and holiday, all!
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

You just made up my mind for me. I am going to be coaching tee ball all morning tomorrow, so I just pulled the trigger on eBay. The remorse will fade, but that Dark Star.... I think DP 2 will be the holiday listen tonight. Happy Friday and holiday, all!
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

They can re-release it all. They did it immediately with the Get Shown The Light Boxed Set (but you do not get the book with the second edition). Now they are re-releasing the Cornell show 5LP vinyl set. Originally they promised only a 7700 limited edition, never to be issued again. You might ask how did they get around that promise? They simply made a new batch on 140 gram vinyl rather than the original version that was 180 gram weight vinyl. If you ask me, I think they are playing people to have to buy the limited edition immediately. Kind of sneaky. Better to be honest upfront.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Great to see that King Crimson video on here. Coincidence-my ticket to see them in November arrived today. I have been listening to them every day now for the last month, as a consequence of having bought the Starless box set. Its very impressive-27 discs of live shows recorded between October 1973 and April 1974. Incredible shows-centered on a limited repertoire of songs, but every night features one, two, or three completely original improvisations. Needles to say, its a completely different band from the one Jim posted. King Crimson changed dramatically-even during their original time together-1969-1974. They was the original band of 1969, the free jazz-and brilliant version from 1971-1972, and the heavy metal like jazz band from 1973-1974. I have never actually heard anything form them after 1974-so it was great to come on here and see that video. You have good taste, sir!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I don't mean to be rude, but of those two choices...neither. Anything Howlin' Wolf sang totally eclipsed all subsequent versions. That goes for Rooster, Back Door Man, Spoonful and Smokestack Lightning, too. And anything else he did that was covered later on that I have missed. Except for Killing Floor by Jimi Hendrix, of course.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Chuck Schumer Tweet from today...4/20 ‏ Verified account @SenSchumer Follow Follow @SenSchumer More THREAD: It’s official. Today, I am formally announcing my plan to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level. It’s time we allow states, once and for all, to have the power to decide what works best for them.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Happy to help. Over the last few years I have really developed a heightened ability to rationalize the purchase of more and more Grateful Dead in order to counteract my case of incompletaphobia. The case of incompletaphobia began in earnest when I started picking up individual shows from E'72 and soon found myself fiending for all of the shows. For the 30TATS box it was kind of a bottom line realization that if I didn't just get it when it came out, I would spend much, much more putting it together later through ebay purchases, as was the case with a couple of other box sets that I initially passed on. Really, that wasn't even rationalization, that was smart money management, for which I should reward myself by purchasing more Grateful Dead...
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Not trying to depress anyone but, suggested retail price is $79.98 https://thefutureheart.com/2018/03/02/grateful-dead-record-store-day-rs… Edit: I am going camping and fishing this weekend, so won't be able to visit the store tomorrow. Think I will just take the risk. My feeling is that it won't sellout this weekend. There were only 2,000 of DiP 8 issued on vinyl and it's still not sold out. Hope I am right, otherwise double prices for me!
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Great post, made me chuckle. Thanks
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

...for which I should reward myself by purchasing more Grateful Dead. Impeccable logic.. and hilarious. Made my Friday.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Yes the KC Starless box is incredibly rewarding. (Initially I was not going to purchase after being disappointed by the Larks box). Basically very similar set lists from show to show but each tune has fiercely intense improvisations. I could go on and on but I don't want to sidetrack this GD thread. I saw them in New Jersey this past summer. They have a no cell phone policy which I initially thought was rather lame. Turns out it was the most engaged I have been at a concert in years. They mostly stick to 70's era songs with an aggressive 3 drummer configuration. Enjoy
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Do you think Chuck Schumer signed up for the 2018 DaP Subscription or just getting shows a la carte ? If not, i think I'll make him a copy of the Bonus Disc as a small token of my appreciation. iGrateful
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look up that material and compile it here. Initially there were a couple of references to the DP 35 material being "entire" (i.e. "8/24/71 is also fantastic, must-listen '71 dead. I can't find a copy in the archive, but fortunately it's widely available and featured, entire, on Dick's Picks Vol. 35"): but later, the common story that DP 35 only contains what was salvageable (per DL) is referenced, as well as the statement that "the rest of the setlist is not known for sure". In conclusion, I would say that Deadbase is incorrect, as I'm more inclined to believe DL's assertion that the tracks on DP 35 WERE recorded on 8/24. I think it's very unlikely that the true set list is the 16 DP 35 tracks + the Deadbase set list, as this would just be too many songs played for August '71 (30). Mystery solved. The WHO LIve at the Fillmore East 1968 just came out today. I've listened to the first 4 tracks, and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Multi-track master allows for great separation; Entwistle and Townshend are loud and tight; Moon is a whirlwind, and Daltrey is spot-on. No Who fan is going to be bummed by this. Puzzling that it took this long for them to release it, but oh well. The only thing missing is Uncle Bobo's introduction. WTF. Oh, and how can I forget - bought a couple lawn seats for Dead & Co on 6/2.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....aaaaaand, pre-ordered. Thanks Mike!
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I know this statement will be unpopular here, but I don't believe weed should be legal anywhere in the U.S. except for medicinal purposes. I smoked every day for 35 years, and have emphysema now. Never smoked a cigarette in my life, never spent a lot of time around 2nd hand smoke. And I don't doubt that once they actully start doing a lot of longitudinal studies on it, they're going to find it causes cancer. It was also a gateway drug for me, as it completely lowered my inhibitions about doing hard stuff, like opioids and cocaine, which depleted my bank account. And it is addictive, both physically and psychologically, without question. I've had hundreds of friends and aquaintences over the years who smoked with me, and nobody did it on limited basis, except those who were in their first year of trying it out. There were no Sunday smokers, it was all or nothing. And we all had periods when we had to quit for short durations for drug tests, and it was not easy to stop, and not easy to stay off it after the drug test was over. I'm 2x as productive without pot in my life (it's been a year), and my blood pressure is normal again (it had been high for 10 years, and I'm not overweight). I think it's sad that generations of kids are going to have weed super easily available to them, as there will be a very high percentage who have my experience. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's benefits in moderation. It expanded my mind enormously, in directions I simply would not have considered without it. And I do not believe people should be doing jail time for personal possession. But there are really no benefits to society having it around and easily, legally available. Tax revenue, that's it. Not worth it. The long term ill health effects will chew away at it. I've read a lot on health implications, and it's clear that much more testing needs to be done. And when I think of all of the high drivers that will be on the road. Yeah we drive slow, but not always in the lane, and not always awake.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

1984 Philadelphia Civic Center Convention Hall Philadelphia Pa Extremely clean sounding soundboards exist of this & the show on the 21st.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Sorry to hear about your experience. I started on weed as a teenager, and of course ended up doing everything under the sun, in excess, before settling down and starting a family. I just kind of grew out of all the partying. I like having my shit together, these days. As a runner and bicyclist, I don't smoke anything anymore. Living in a weed-legal state, I like to take a single edible dose and cut it into quarters, just a tiny little piece. The effect is mellow, manageable, like a valium or something. Helps me remain Zen and calm. That and a nice glass of good whisky or Scotch is about all I need these days, except for the annual ski trip bender with the lads. The thing about legalization, besides the decriminalization aspect, is so many millions of tax dollars are now being allocated to education, infrastructure and the like. I never had a problem, ever, finding a bag of good weed from the early 1980s onward. Legalization just brought it out into the light. I am not so sure kids are any more inclined to use it now that it's legal, in fact, a little bit of the romance is gone. Tell them they can't have it, they want it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 9 months

Rodrigodiaz, you are so right about '76! When I first started getting into the Dead (right before I metamorphosized), I thought '76 was a little different. Slow or lackluster. Boy was I wrong! Once I became a Dead Head, I realized how cool '76 really is! I like it better than '78 for sure. And 7/18/76 Orphium is probably one of thE Best GD shows from ANY year! I invite everyone to dig it out now, and give it a listen. You will be delighted! Peace, Chris
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Definitely been waiting for this monster to get released. I believe Dave said that it is a multi-track as well. ;)
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

While the goal of discouraging people from using harmful drugs may be admirable, it is clear that Prohibition has been an abject failure on nearly every level. After a half a century of fighting the drug war the U.S. has the highest per capita incarceration in the world, more than a trillion dollars spent, and countless harmless folks incarcerated. The achievements include opiate use and overdoses surging from coast to coast, heroin (with or without fentanyl) available in every little town from coast to coast, methamphetamine use widespread and the proliferation of designer drugs that are often more harmful than the illicit substance they mimic, with no indication that the prohibition model will bear fruit anytime soon. In contrast, Portugal which at the time had a fairly extreme "drug problem" went to the other extreme and legalized all types of drugs sometime around 2001. Last I checked, they had enjoyed a drop in hard drug use and only a minor increase in marijuana use by the 18-24 year old demographic. With regard to marijuana specifically, it seems hard to justify incarcerating someone for consuming marijuana, and it seems just as hard to justify incarcerating a person who sells marijuana to other consenting adults, but that is what prohibition requires. Personally, I have trouble with the idea that I am compelled to abide by laws that my conscience tells me are morally repugnant, and I really can't see how society can justify locking up individuals who are not a threat to other individuals through some form of violence or theft. As Credence so eloquently put it, Take you a glass of water make it against the law see how good the water taste when you can't have any at all
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Sorry to hear your tale, Trainwrecked.. I don't believe you are going to find anyone here who is not sympathetic to your situation. There is a lot to this debate. Strict marijuana laws also cause harm, and as Led stated.. I am not sure keeping it illegal is a very good way to restrict use. Our drug laws have created their share of unintended, bad consequences. They have created an entire criminal class of otherwise lawful people, our incarceration rates are higher than any other developed nation and drug related incarceration, including marijuana, is a significant contributing factor. We have created a global crime problem too, that includes trafficking, production, bribes, etc. There are other bad side effects of strict policing as well. Also, countries with relaxed marijuana (and alcohol) laws do not have higher usage rates than the US. Canada and Amsterdam are examples of this. Finally, criminalizing does not seem to go hand in hand with education, treatment efforts and the like. For example.. vaping, using a bong, edibles, addiction treatment, etc. seem to get replaced with incarceration. Jails are not the best way to educate. The quality of pot has also increased.. so you need less than you did 30 years ago to get high. You are correct that smoking anything creates health risks.. in all my years I have been on the lookout for cases such as yours and I have personally run across a surprisingly low number of people permanently harmed, just a few. Thanks for sharing your story it give some perspective, I don't think anyone here thinks less of you for your opinion. I hope you don't view my opinions as being argumentative or negative in any way. It's a complex subject. http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/america-take-note-three-lessons-holland-… Edit: In the time I took to write this.. I see some redundancy in what is written below.. sorry.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fillmore East Who April '68 - what a whoot!!! 33-minute My Generation. Great pic of the wily Moon in the gatefold! lol
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yes, with respect to trainwrecked I have to agree with Charlie. Prohibition just doesn't work. I was a teenager in the 1970s, in England, and all sorts of drugs were easily obtainable. I knew very little about any of them, and learnt by trial and error. I am lucky to be alive-having a few close calls before I got to 20. I think that life would be so much safer for young people if recreational drugs could be legalized, and information was made available about safe use. In England a few years ago, because cannabis is still illegal here, a legal alternative was concocted called "spice". Its ingredients seemed to vary, but the overall effect was complete intoxication. It was a brain damaging mixture that led to addiction, seizures, violent behaviour, mental distress-in fact it seemed to induce most of the most unpleasant and dangerous effects often attributed to illegal drugs. It was made illegal about three years ago-but its still out there. Having said all that-I tried it. And it was very unpleasant-but none of the above happened. I didn't take it again. That's the other thing, all drug use is personal. It is ill advised to assume that your own experiences or those of your friends are necessarily typical. After using cannabis daily for a few years, I switched to weekend use without any problem at all. And stayed that way for about 15 years. And again, I found it easy to give up. I am not saying its like this for everyone-but it was for me.
user picture

Member for

6 years

i'm kinda with Trainwrecked. I don't want it legalized for recreational use. but I definitely want it utilized for cancer treatments. but I also think marijuana drug laws need to be changed. if you get busted for amount that's personal use just fine them. if more then probly more stricter measures should be taken as you are probly dealing making a nice chunk of change and not claiming taxes. now here comes the rocks being thrown at me lol.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks for the warning on the Larks box set. I am very tempted by the Sailors Tale box, though. There is one cd that I would really recommend, that is included in that box-but which was released separately a few years ago-Live at The Marquee 10th August 1971. Its a double cd set, and the opening track on the second disc is a 27 minute instrumental jam, the like of which I have never heard before. A fantastic release.
user picture

Member for

6 years

but anyways on to more pressing matters. 12/10/93 and 8/3/82 needs to be released. also am I alone in thinking that in a world of smart phones and moble devices it seems really silly that they still ban soundboard downloading on archive just seems pointless now???
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

But still stick to my point that it's a bad idea to legalize marijuana. The Portugal model is what I would condone, which is to de-criminalize it, but not make it legal. In Portual, it is still illegal to use drugs and still a penal offense to sell them, there is just no heavy jail time. Because prohibition has been a failure, the best solution is to keep it illegal, but change the penalties, so that only hardcore distributors are doing jail time, and only after multiple offenses. After all, laws are laws, and if you're part of distribution ring selling hundreds of pounds, then yes, you should do jail time if you don't learn your lesson after a heavy fine and probation before judgement. But nobody walking around with a quarter in baggie should be doing time ever. The problem with making it legal across the country (like Colorado) is that the use will go up over time, as the social stigma of using it erodes, and the suppliers get a foothold in every state. And to be frank, I'm not an exceptional person, I'm quite average. If it can happen to me, it can happen to a decent percentage of Americans, so why propagate a social habit that will have extremely negative consequences for a large number of people. And keep in mind, as those people run into issues, there will be burden on every tax payer, as they start exercising their health insurance for psychological counselling and replacement therapy drugs, etc. I really fear for the kids. Decision making capabilities do not develop fully until the early 20s. With legalized pot everywhere in the country, there will be a lot of kids who get into the habit and pitfalls of daily use, and it just bothers me to think that we may not be too far off from living in a society whose laws are indifferent to that outcome.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Like that name. Vegas Knight would have a cool name for Bobby's son. oh yeah, check your pm. G
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

First, I encourage your coming forward.. it's honorable, and I think we all have a thing or two to learn here. Please don't view my disagreement as combative or dismissive. But I have to ask.. how much of your 35 years of smoking were done with joints vs. bongs, etc. The reason I ask.. I have you just barely beat... and I don't consider it a health risk to me in the slightest. Since beginning, if possible I have consumed through water. It has never raised my blood pressure and I am pudgy dude. Except for periods of either no school or no work, I would not call myself a daily user, I have always had too much going on.. but.... Still.. many around me dwarf my consumption, many much older.. and I am not seeing the damage on the scale of what describe in any of their lives. I have never in my life knew a non-cigarette but weed smoker getting emphysema. So my question is.. clearly your usage was high for years.. fatties, or less invasive techniques? Again, not trying to prosecute or question, you have my sympathy - trying to better understand. I want it legal and I want me and more than half the people I know to no longer be criminals.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I suspect that there is a fair amount of overlap with our general view on the prohibition debate with some differences with regard to specific substances like marijuana or psychedelics. I feel pretty strongly about the issue, which probably comes through, but I hope I am being sufficiently respectful that I don't appear to be an ass. Based on experience and feedback, I don't always realize when I act like an ass. I do enjoy a respectful discussion like this, I think it helps everyone to reach a better understanding, even if universal agreement is not reached. I just have a view that my consciousness is my most personal and private space, and that it is up to me to decide how to use it or alter it. Personally, I think that responsible use of psychedelics can be an intensely rewarding experience with what I have perceived to be permanent beneficial results in my ability to interact with the world and the people in it. If used responsibly it seems more like a sacrament than a harmful drug. Opiates and stimulants hold no appeal for me, and based on my observations on their impact on others and my limited '80's coke use, they are devastating and destructive substances that no person should use. But I would not want to incarcerate someone if they disagree and choose to use them. Marijuana seems to me a petty vice at worst, and there are lots of legal vices that are more harmful to the individual and society. For example, I believe as a nation we have among the highest rates of obesity, leading to increased risk of diabetes and other costly and chronic medical conditions - should we prohibit high sugar, high fat, high sodium and high calorie diets and prohibit sedentary lifestyle choices to save society money in medical costs? Should we lock up people who refuse to eat healthy and exercise, or perhaps just the giant junk food conglomerates pushing these unhealthy choices on the masses. Seems like the same or a similar situation - people making unhealthy choices that cost society as a whole money and resources - so shouldn't the solution be the same? In my mind, if a society is free, you can give the individual all of the information that he or she needs to make an informed decision about things and then let them choose. If you're not free to make choices other's feel are stupid, you're not really free, and if you're not really free you may as well be an outlaw. After all, living healthy is no guarantee you don't die a horrific death from a devastating illness. I've watched it happen to loved ones. At some point the ride ends, so enjoy it while it lasts or regret it as it ends.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Legalize for recreational use?No. I agree with the comments that are not in favor of legalization for recreational usage. Medical legalization? Yes. CBD, in my opinion: it's really just a pain medication that is useful for several problems. It's not for all problems or people. My recreational use: from my late teens into my mid-thirties in 1991. I was a "casual" user, I got into it slowly and every so often, I could go into daily binges for two, three weeks or two months at a time and then stop cold for for anytime from two weeks to about six months without having the "I-need-to-get-high-again-very-soon" urges. But yet, I knew it was just around the corner and sure enough I'd feel the need to get high, sooner or later. During the Operation Desert Storm period, 1/17/91 - 2/28/91, more like 1/17/19, with the breaking news story, I lit up a joint for the last time without realizing it, and I had no urges after that. It wasn't even on the radar, or just around the corner that I even wanted some. On July 4th 1992, someone asked me if I wanted some, and I said no. I haven't had any urges after that. The desire is just not there anymore. "Clean-N-Sober since 7/4/92" Tongue-in-cheek.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

If only our elected representatives (note I won't use the word, "leaders," because no one is leading) would converse in such an honest and reflective, civil manner about societal issues that are important. America's drug habit has destroyed Mexico, for one example. There is too much money to be made in black market commodities. In the end, while I don't want a 21 year-old kid to be able to go buy herion, blow or meth over the counter, much of the trouble comes from prohibition. Everyone here loves Jerry Garcia to death. His personal experiences notwithstanding, ol' Jer succumbed to drug addiction, it became dark, and he was ultimately lost to us. Tragic. The Grateful Dead is a great sounding board for this. Because, can anyone name a druggier band? Seriously, the symbol of the counterculture and youthful experimentation. The positive psychedelic experience is without parallel. There is a large interest today in ayahuasca, microdosing, etc. In the name of consciousness expansion. Most of us know there is a "there" there, and drugs - I've had mystical, mind-blowing experiences with the coca plant as well as the poppy - can be a portal to this kind of true knowledge, and consciousness expansion. But you can't get too far gone - you've got to find your way home. Love the Blind Faith song. It's a fine line, yes, but how many if not for drug addiction would have killed themselves through some other excessiveness... It's something, really, to put yourself out there and then come back. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, but the idea of my kids going there freaks me the fuck out. Because it is dangerous. I don't know. I only know how it went for me. I had periods of, not addiction, but willful excessive abuse, because, hey - I loved it. But it wasn't what defined me, in the end, and now I get up at 5am 7 days a week and exercise. We can't put people in prison for drug use or possession. I live in Colorado. Nothing has changed here, except all the good the tax money is doing now that dealers aren't pocketing it. Your local drug dealer never paid taxes - dispensaries do. They sell only the cleanest organic product for the most part. Weed, for sure, should be legal like it is here. It's no worse than booze or cigarettes, or a triple bacon cheeseburger. Or pharmaceutical drugs your Dr. will prescribe you. Harder drugs should not be legalized. I draw the line there. But, obviously, anyone can go get anything they want, any time. Decriminalization and emphasis on rehabilitation. Jail for large dealers, repeat offenders, etc. We all know of those whose lives have been ruined by drugs and alcohol, but ultimately, just like Jerry Garcia, those folks went swimming in dangerous waters and failed to maintain. And, falling prey to basic human frailty in such a manner, they may have fallen to pieces anyway through some other medium. All the best to everyone.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Do any of you folks who feel marijuana should not be legal and yet admit to prior recreational mj use honestly feel like you would have been better off if you had been arrested, prosecuted and convicted of mj possession? Did you ever consider turning yourself in so you could get the benefits of arrest, prosecution and conviction for a marijuana offense? Would you turn in a family member for a marijuana offense to help them get the benefits of arrest, prosecution and conviction for a marijuana offense? Do you have the moral fortitude to subject yourself to the remedy you prescribe for others? I can tell you that entanglement in the criminal justice system sucks more than you might realize even if you don't end up going to prison. It follows you forever either way and there are those who will hold it against you.
user picture

Member for

6 years

recreational weed is not legal here. even if states say it is. states cant over ride federal law.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

An interesting and productive discussion.. Many thanks to all. Now if we could just settle once and for all, what the best China>Rider of all time was, or at least the best year. Clearly we an all agree on that. Best to all.. thanks. oh.. Charlie.. I have survived such an entanglement myself.. and it truly sucked ass, not just for me, but my family, friends and loved ones. It still is a factor, 30+ years later. You raise a great question. Unintended consequences of poorly thought out legislation. Thank god I have managed to succeed regardless of a few hurdles. I often think what things would be like if I were a minority instead of a pasty, white guy. Think about that for a minute... Pot legislation was originally devised to create leverage against the minorities and people less fortunate (which is still true today).
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm blathering. If states cannot override federal law, what the hell is going on in Utah? Drugs are good, right up until they're bad. I don't want to see lives wrecked, ever, from this stuff. I care, I do, I'm not being cavalier. But shit, man - this stuff ain't EVER going away. So, accepting the truth, how to effectively manage it, to try and bring a humane, sympathetic and effective response to handling those who've lost their way? Prison ain't it, brother. Not for the non-violent. After so many trips, I realized, I'm not learning anything more here. I've been here, I've done this, I know what's at the end of the rainbow. And all the other stuff is the same, though I hang onto my modest drink and - very - occasional whatever. Drugs are not the devil, the devil is within ourselves.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I can't even say which one I liked more from the shows I listened to today, but I can say without hesitation that 1973 is the year. I listened to 11/14/73 from 30TATS this morning and DiP19 from 10/19/73 this afternoon and all I can say is that I really, really, really like the way the Grateful Dead sounded in 1973. If the next box set is 1973 I will be a happy camper indeed.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

So.. it's rare and newly returned 1973? I knew it!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....that's an easy one to my ears. 6.26.74 Providence, RI aka DP 12. Funny that the smallest state ended up getting the biggest China -> Rider that I've ever heard. I smoke weed quite often, but always late night. No more wake and bake for me. And it's indeed not going away. I walk into my local dispensary and am amazed by all the variety. Not an edibles fan though. Takes too long to kick in and lasts too long when it does. Call me old fashioned....
product sku