• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

It's unlike me to ever refute the last piece of GD I listened to was not the best (ever).. but Shining Star (a compilation, released March 20, 1990), Pure Jerry 11/9/91 Hampton Coliseum and whatever the last release from 91 was (relatively recently) were all quite good.

The last JGB from 91 I listened to was Electric Eel 91, on the way home from the river today.. It was most excellent.. especially poignant was the classic Van Morrison You Stoned Me. But no Lucky Old Sun from this show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by MDJim

.... objects in you mirror are closer than they appear. Shoreline '95. Something was amiss. A tang in the air so to speak. Psychedelia has many facets. As in projecting the future for one. Laugh if you want, but a majority of fans left that Sunday show feeling "weird". Sat on that hill outside the gates thinking, "I'm not coming back here". At least not to see the Grateful Dead. C'est La Vie. I've been back since, but it's never the same.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Fewer than last night, and more of the teensy weensy :-)

Yes I lump 5/4 and 5/11 together too. I am not sure why.

I am very much looking forward to DaP 30. I have avoided those shows on archive.org so that I get a good virgin listen in. The are not enough Elevens in the world, but Dave is putting an end to that.

Nobody bit on the Bird Song comparison. Jim I was sure you would weigh in on that one!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by LoveJerry

ultimately, I'd go with 8/27/72

but luckily, I have access to both

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Impossible to choose between the two Bird Songs. One is a perfect performance with their 72 sound. The other is a perfect performance with their 73 sound. I think a few weeks ago somebody mentioned the difference in Keith's keyboards. One has electric piano and the other has acoustic piano. I may have read that somewhere beside here, but you can hear the difference if you listen closely. Actually you don't even need to listen closely, there is a really distinctive difference in sound. Oh, and one features a naked guy humping the ever-loving shit out of a telephone pole.

user picture

Member for

6 years

Just read that live dead 69 played in London last night with Tom Constanten at the keyboards and during the show they played morning dew and it was sung by Bonnie Dobson ( she wrote it ) . Hope to get the same tonight when I go . 🤞

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Get some today.
This one sorta changed my life forever.
It's why I'm here with you fine people today.

https://youtu.be/sL6KeNuhr3Q

That is all.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Sixtus_

...3/29/90 is fantastic to these Deadheads ears!...
A dear friend and a member on this board is going to see “LiveDead69” as well in London. What I’ve heard is the band intends to perform the Grateful Dead’s Woodstock Set -list and more... pretty groovy, I dig it! Even though I never had the Privilege to attend one of their concerts, I’ve heard many ‘grateful ‘ primo stories about this band! 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years

Fantastic show - Woodstock 1st set , mixture for the 2nd set . No morning dew 😾 but a lovely we bid you goodnight to close . 😸

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by MDJim

...the secret has been broken for many moons now, JimMD. It’s C20H25N3O 😉 lol ...

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Having a website for any kind of business is a must in today’s competitive scenario but what about having an attractive design of the website that directly appeals the senses of the user. Get in touch with Jeewangarg – The Best Website Designing Company in Delhi to get the Appealing Website Designs.
https://www.jeewangarg.com/website-designing-company-delhi.html

user picture

Member for

6 years

Can anyone tell me what the cost of this box set was when it was released , and weather it’s any good . I can pick one up on eBay for around £150 ( $ 190 ) and need to know if I need it . I already have the PNW box and wonder if there’s much difference in style .
Thanks all 😸😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by perithecat

There's a lot of similarities between Winterland 73 and the PNW Box. I recall when it came out people complaining about the sound, but I thought it sounded great.. similar to what we saw in the PNW box.. The setlists have some overlaps.

I would say Winterland 73 is more representative of a three show run, so you get more depth / width in the song selection from a specific time. You also get a couple To Lay Me Down's, which is nice and you don't get that in the PNW Box.. the whole run is really nice and you get two really stand-out shows in 11/10 and 11/11/73.

11/10 has the terrific second set sequence Playin' In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playin' In The Band

...and 11/11 has that outstanding Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Eyes of the World > China Doll. That sequence is terrific, perhaps one of the stand-out shows of the year if that's fair to say, there were many stand-out's in late '73.

I hope that helps.. it's not night and day different, just a little more highly focused for that period of time (Fall 73). I can't advise if it's worth the extra coin or not - that's a decision you have to make.

user picture

Member for

6 years

Thanks for that , I’ll sleep on it . 😺

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

As Jim said, some overlap setlist wise, but that doesn't mean too much given it's 5 months after the June '73 shows and 6 months before the May '74 shows, which can be an eternity in Dead time. The Dark Star from 11/11 is the biggest highlight to me, 35 min of high energy jazzy Dead, reminiscent of Veneta 8/27/72 in some aspects, but mainly the fact that it chugs along with little of the real dissonant sections. The version of The Sequence from 11/10 is my favorite of the 3 iterations (11/10/73, 11/17/73 DaP5, 3/23/74 DP 24), you get 3 great Weather Report Suites, a 1st set Brokedown Palace, and a Here Comes Sunshine. When it originally came out, it was $100, so $190 isn't too bad. It seems it finally sold out in the last 2 years or so, and hasn't hit the $500-600 Winterland 77 goes for.

The last PNW 73-74 shows I had on was just the other day, the 6/24/73 mainly for the Dark Star, then I went to 5/17/74, just to check sound quality again. Some really good stuff in there, should probably camp out for another week or so on that, but not this week...

Also, DaP 17 7/19/74 came upon my playlist recently as I wanted to hear a Wall of Sound era show that I recalled having less sound calibration going on in thenfirst couple songs, and that 29 min Playing was calling me, as was the He's Gone> US Blues, Weather Report Suite> Spanish Jam> Eyes> China Doll. Skipped Seastones after a few min. What a fantastic release this one was! Not a huge fan of US Blues, but for that couple months in 1974, I can dig it; the one out of the WRS> JAM on DP12 is fantastic, as is this one out of a great (if blown in a couple parts) He's Gone. Then that magnificent WRS fades into a definite Spanish Jam that is labeled as just Jam for whatever reason.

Lastly, the Bonus Disc on DaP 18, from 7/16/76 is pretty nice, for someone in the mood for a little more laid back jamming.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

The Winterland 73 box originally sold for $99, a bargain, and it was not limited edition. Winterland 77, the same price and also not limited. 77 goes for big bucks on eBay now, hard to find one for under $400 and I have seen some for $1500, which to me is crazy. I do believe these three shows in June are some of the best sounding recordings and performances of 77.

The Winterland 73 box is awesome, to my elephant ears sounds a tich better than PNW. Still can be bought new on Ebay for $199, just need to poke around.
Some guys are trying to sell this one for over $500.
Oh and there are no vocal dropouts in this box, unlike PNW.

Would love to see Rhino make these both available again. Shit, charge $199, it would still be a bargain!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Perithecat, I see there have already been a few responses on this that lay things out pretty well, but I just listened to that whole box pretty recently and really enjoyed the whole run again. Overall the sound is excellent for those shows and while the 11/11 Dark Star is definitely a highlight, there is a lot of good stuff spread throughout all three shows. Also, since I love to rationalize the purchase of more dead shows, let me point out that the price of this box has been rising and may go higher in the future, so you could be saving yourself money by purchasing it now. Money you could then use to purchase more dead in the future;)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

You need the Winterland 73 Box.
Hope yours has the bonus disc.

Yes, $99 was the price.
Several months ago there was an unopened one on eBay for $120 (if my memory serves me correctly).

Starting the day off mellow with a palate cleanse of Obscurred By Clouds on 180g vinyl.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I've just got back from London, where I saw Live Dead 69 last night. Fantastic nights music. The first set started with Tom Constanten on his own, on piano. The first song Dylan's Frankie Lee and Judas Priest, which was unexpected. He played a few more, and then the whole band came on, opening with St. Stephen as per Woodstock. Pleasingly, they went into The Eleven before going into Mama Tried, as The Dead had done in 69. The whole set was good...well played...but something seemed a bit lacking - to me. They seemed like what I guess they are- a very good cover band. Everybody around me was talking during the 10 minute Dark Star, which was annoying, and none of the vocalists really had the bottle to pull off Lovelight. In a way, they seemed a bit upstaged by the material.

They went off for a while, and when they came back, to me, they seemed like a different band! They opened the second set with a great and jammed out Cold Rain and Snow, followed by Bertha. The audience seemed synched in with the band who seemed synched in with each other, and the joint was really rocking-all as one person. Everything they played in this second set worked like a dream-Easy Wind was played and they finished the set with a tremendous Franklins Tower. As Peri said, they then did We Wish You Good Night as the encore.

Everyone was grinning ear to ear as we filed out. That was the other great thing-many friendly people there who were happy to talk about The Dead and their experiences. I wish I'd gone on the first night now, as well!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

What a fantastic album and fantastic way to open a Saturday! So underrated and obscure, especially given that it was released between Meddle and Dark Side, but is so completely different from anything on those apart from Fearless sounding like it could fit in and Obscured by Clouds> When You're In being similar to Any Colour You Like.

More Dead, so you can save money.. and with the savings buy More Dead.

I always liked Wot's uh the Deal from Obscured too.. Floyd never played it, but Gilmour revised it a few years back and it appears as bonus material on one of his DVDs.. (forget which one).

One other Winterland 73 item worth considering.. The PNW box does not contain Morning Dew, and Winterland has remarkable version buried in the middle of an hour long jam. What's not to like about that?

Hard to argue with Charlie on this one.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

While shuffling thru the endless chore of music management, coffee in hand. I re-discovered folders I have buried down the in billbored section, Whitburn R&B. Of which I have for different years. I was once again shocked at the amount of music in these four folders. My quick goog revealed this guy whitburn, who, "deadbased" every r&b record ever done. I guess someone stated collecting all these cuts and I got 4 years worth of them. Any whitburn experts out there?

Hell, any billboard experts?

Amazing how many breakdowns.

Funny thing,,, don't see dead on a lot of them? :-)

Recently fell into huge amount, huge I tell ya, of these "time-life collections". One was EVERY hit the 60's, cross broken down by, early, mid and late. One night at the store we listened to 8 hours of 60's, knew every fuckin song! Along about 7.5 hours I look up and more co-conspirator and quipped "greatest hits of the 60's without 1 Beatles song!!!!!!" :-)

Guess they wouldn't sell the songs or time-life couldn't afford. Good chuckle anyway.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

The Winterland 1973 box set blows the trio of PNW '73 shows out of the water, especially in terms of sound quality. There is no unevenness to the recordings like PNW has (excessive tape hiss, symbols and hi-hat coming in too loud., Jerry's guitar disappearing frequently). On Winterland '73, the guitars are crisp and the sound is full throughout, with barely a hint of its analog sourcing. Others have spoken about the merits of the setlist already so I will skip that. None of this critical assessment applies to the 1974 shows in that box set.

In all fairness the Pacific Northwest box set has that awesome Bird Song and some awesome Truckin' jams. And the Dark Star ain't too shabby. Not to mention Box Of Rains and an outstanding Black Peter.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

After Obscurred By Clouds I went to Animals, also 180g vinyl.
Excellent way to round out my Saturday start-up. My 2nd favorite PF album followed by my favorite.
A few months ago I decided to buy 5 or 6 Floyd albums on 180g vinyl, to complement the Animals and DSOTM that I already had. Was totally worth it.
As a wise person from this site told me at the time, “those albums were designed for vinyl (with the requirement to get up and flip it half way through), especially Wish You Were Here”.

I bought a turntable about 11 months ago because I bought 2-27-69 on vinyl on RSD 2018, and was hoping that all of FW69 would come out on vinyl.........
Well, apparently not for RSD 2019......

I initially tried buying used vinyl but it always sounded like crap, and wasn’t even worth the $3-5 I was paying. So, I’m picking up new 180g reissues here and there (Rush, Exit Stage Left is on 200g vinyl), as well as GD new issues.

After my vinyl palate cleanse I hit the yard for some springtime yard work. Mid-60’s today, mid-30’s tomorrow. WTF?
Spring has sprung.
Beer in hand now, grilling in my near future.

Glad Daverock and Peri got to feel some Dead vibes last night.
D&C should really do a European tour to share the fun with our friends there.
No it ain’t the same, but as Daverock pointed out, last night brought fellow Dead freaks together, which is what we all need now and then.

Now, crosswalks, cars, buses, traffic lights, fire hydrants..........hey, ground score!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Most has been said already but don't forget Loose Lucy, which oozes slink and sleaze like no other version I've heard :-)

Exit Stage Left, I may have to try this one on for size.

Obscured by Clouds, did you know Richard Wright sings lead vocal on Stay? I always thought it was Gilmour until recently.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

That's what I thought you wrote at first Jim, I was like huh? But seriously that is great logic. Dead for Dead. I would take out a second mortgage if I could just get all of the Grateful Dead stuff now. 5000 bucks for the rest of the library in Plangent.

I tried that video Sixtus, but just can't get into later Grateful Dead. I suck. Every now and then I do a retry, but it's always the same.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

One of the highlights of going to London for me is being able to go to physical record shops, and vinyl reissues are what I now look out for, too. Three I bought this morning on 180g vinyl, all of which sound superb, are Station To Station by David Bowie, Larks Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson and Blue Train by John Coltrane.

I prefer the 1973 Winterland box to the PNW one that came out last year. Its obviously a lot smaller, but the 1973 Winterland is my favourite box after the Europe 72 one-taking into account the fact I missed the Fillmore West 1969 box. Incidentally, was also hoping and expecting 2/28/69 to come out on vinyl this upcoming RSD. But going back to the 1973 Winterland , the set lists and sound are great, but I also just enjoy the playing more.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Chock full of great shows

user picture

Member for

6 years

Winterland 73 - Ah sod it i’ll Bite the bullet and go for it , tell myself it’s an early Christmas present !!
Live Dead 69 - as daverock says they didn’t seem much better than your average pub band with old Tom in the corner looking like a slightly creepy old wizard , who didn’t look overly fussed to be there . Guess they wouldn’t have been able to charge £25 a pop without his name on the poster . Got a flyer on the way out for the grateful dudes ( who I’d never heard of ) so I will be checking them out next month - they seem to be a bonafide tribute band which should be nice , I know you guys over the pond have them in every state but we’re a bit lacking over here .

Mind-left-body - I’m still chuckling at the fact that your spell checker has me down as Petticoat 😺😺😺

There were also flyers knocking about on Friday advertising a gig by long standing Dead cover band The Cosmic Charlies-on 13th April at The Fiddlers Elbow in Camden, if you are interested. I have never heard of The Grateful Dudes, but I have seen the Cosmic Charlies a couple of times and they were okay on those occasions-once covering The Dead and once covering JGB.

Yes, it was funny how Tom fitted in with Live Dead 69. His opening solo spot seemed to subdue everyone a bit, so that when the band came on, much to Slick Aguilar's, annoyance, no one reacted at all ! He also stuck to playing the piano, from what I could see/hear, rather than organ , which was his weapon of choice with The Dead. I liked seeing him there-the man has history, after all-but I would cough up £25.00 to see this band again with or without him.

...happy to hear you both enjoyed the show in London and made it back home safely ! 🙏
...Daverock great set of LPs you added to your collection. Speaking of reissues , the 2011release of ‘Aoxomoxoa’ was primo as well on vinyl, do you have that release in your dead collection...
...’Blue Train’ by John Coltrane lp is primo!
...Winterland 1973 boxset Primo!
It’s been a primal start of the new year 2019 so far for releases, I’m ‘Grateful’ for all of it!
Everybody enjoy your last Sunday of March & say hello to April spring flowers!... 🙏❤️😎
The bus has now become very fill and take off has begun occordindly... 🤠

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

So....I have a digital copy of the bonus tracks from American Beauty. The live Truckin' from December 26, 1970 at Legion Stadium starts up late and kind of garbled, as it immediately goes into the "flashing marquees out on Main Street" verse. Can someone please let me know if this is normal for the release? Thanks!

-KeithFan

user picture

Member for

8 years

... a grateful Sunday to everyone! 🙏🤠
This morning I listened to the entire performance from ‘Miami Arena’, Miami FL, October 26th, 1989! One of my favorite inclusions in the ‘Big Box’ 30TATS!!!
Taken from the bands 24-track recordings, the mixing was done at Bob Weirs TRI Studios!
A powerful performance from the band and it includes one of the bands crazy far out takes of “Dark Star” and the sequence following that song is just magical. Very good multitrack recording. 🙏❤️😎 next up, July 3rd 1988 Oxford Plains Speedway, ME...

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

It's on youtube, and it does indeed start late and garbled. Mystery of the past 15 hours solved. Wish I'd thought of checking youtube before I tore apart my office looking for the CD (which led to the discovery of an old Easy CD Creator program that I had been looking for recently; destroyed my Windows 10 installing it). All of this to cover my compulsion to have all of the stray live songs brought together to form a CD box set called Scattered Bones.

No, Lovemy girl, I haven't got the reissue of Aoxomoxoa on vinyl. I still have the record I bought at the end of the 70s, which was the remixed version-very flat compare to the original mix. I think I'll hold off on Aoxomoxoa now until the 50th anniversary version comes out. And I'll be going for the cd, with the bonus disc, natch.

Blue Train sounds amazing-they could almost be here in my living room. I was actually looking for one of Coltrane's later albums, "Ascension" which I have read Phil credited as being an influence on the Dead's style of improvising in the late 60s. That one wasn't there, but "Blue Train" was-possibly a lot easier on the ears than "Ascension"...I will find out later on in the year, no doubt.

30 Trips is a great box-no doubt. I was back at 2/22/69 Vallejo this morning-surely one of the best shows in the box-or anywhere else, come to that.

....best $699.95 I ever spent. But for now, it's Nassau 3.30.90. Its got a midi Slipknot! for dangs sake!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

GD 10-28-72 20405.sbd.ashly-bertha (playing now)
GD 11-29-80 set2 139322.miller (yeah, what about Gainesville?)
GD 5-3-69% 95138.miller
Pink Floyd DSOTM 180g vinyl
Pink Floyd Ummagumma live album 180g vinyl

It’s been a good Sunday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Queen - Rock Montreal
GOGD - 3.30.90 Nassau
The Beatles - Beatles For Sale
Alice In Chains - Dirt
JGB - Eel River '91

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I Robot - Alan Parsons Project
Earth Crisis - Steel Pulse
The Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Lonerism - Tame Impala

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....very nice charlie 👍 noticed the 4:20 time stamp as well 👍👍

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

VGuy, I wasn't sure if anyone else here would dig I Robot or not. I put that on after getting back from a couple mile walk with the dog and found myself feeling pretty chill as I sank into the couch and just floated along on waves of sound. Put Bad Company's eponymous album and 5/16/72 Luxemborg later, and confirmed again that there are no weak shows in the E'72 set. Currently changing it up with It Is Such a Good Night by the Charlie Steinmann Orchestra - any Breaking Bad fans may recall the tune from the scene where Jesse Pinkman is slinging their batch of product around town, and then hitting up the dawn of electronica with I Feel Love by Donna Summer. Gotta mix it up now and then.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....my last fives are a stamp on that postcard.
....it's been way too long since I've listened to Alan Parsons Project Breakdown.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Nice to see a reference to I Feel Love by Donna Summer snuck in there. An amazing record-not that I really noticed it at the time. Why I preferred punk to electronic disco in the late 70s seems hard to fathom now. In fact, I think I'll play it now, as I get ready to hit the mean streets of Lowestoft.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

....you know this space is getting hot....but now I'm trying to capture

my last five
3/2/69 Death Don't....MorningDew
5/26/72 Morning Dew
11.7.69 Next Time You See Me (Garcia and Pig on vocals)
4.17.72 Truckin...Dark Star
11 1 79 Scarlet Fire Sam

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I glanced down at an email from work while enjoying my morning commute Dark Star. Doesn't matter which one. And some dick weed tried to throw me under the bus on an email with a lot of people on it. I had to pull over to respond to this email and light this guy up. I don't like lighting anybody up for any reason, but circumstances were extenuating. When I got back on the road, the Dark Star was not what I needed. I needed to rock out. I went with I Need a Miracle from the Closing of Winterland. It's got to be their best performance, at least with the Godchauxs. A very crankable song. But the point is, this MF'r had me so worked up I had to turn off Dark Star.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Strictly forbidden in some European countries. Now you can see why. Interrupting and spoiling a Dark Star is a cardinal sin and inexcusable. Work is something where the hours are set out in a contract. Outside those hours you are free to listen to as many Dark Stars as you want.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html