• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fifty year anniversary next Thursday of G.D. in Tucson . 4/11/69

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

thanks for posting the Spirit video, nice taste of what they were like. I miss Randy almost as much as I miss Jerry, they were both kind souls and the world is not as good without them. 1995 was a bad year, I lost both my guitar heroes that year. I believe that was the guitar that Randy purchased at Sears for 100 bucks, had a wammy bar and everything, made a nice sound too. Unique

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

That fine Spirit video that the cone kid posted is available on both CD and DVD. German releases on the SPV label, the "Rockpalast" series has some fine releases. The Spirit release is "West coast legends volume 3". The DVD is region 0, I think, which equates to region-free but one would do well to check.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

....got reminded of The Alan Parsons Project by way of last Fives. Now Spirit. Spent today pulling weeds to Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time. Good weed pulling music.
Spun GOGD's Linley Park '75 via Boxilla prior. Music Is Life.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

The Spirit one is advertised as being region 2 now, but with the cd half the price, I'm tempted by that one.

I also noticed two in the same series featuring John Cipollina, one with Nick Gravenites and one with Terry and the Pirates. The Dead one doesn't seem to be there, though.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Good call on that 9/28/75 show from boxilla. Finishing it up now. I was finishing up Layla by Derek and the Dominoes and wondering what to put on next when I saw VGuy's reference to Lindley Meadows and thought that was a short enough show that my wife would not hit her saturation point on the Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I'm late to the conversation and that's nobody's fault but mine. But if you're talking about The Other One from 1972 you need to go to Dick's Picks 36 and check out the bonus track from September 3rd in Colorado. That's the king of all 1972 Other One's right there.

Lindley Meadows. Rare gem. Very underrated on account of being too short. Would have been a perfect show if they had thrown in The Other One or Playing in the Band or Eyes of the World. Or at least some rare shit like the Eleven Jam. Oh there you have it right there perfect show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by MDJim

....looks like I picked the wrong music to pull weeds to. Lindley delivers. Steve Harris's bass line on Sea Of Madness is too much to ignore though....galloping romp. Moving on from pulling them to smoking them as we speak.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Did for cuisine what Garcia did for music.

Been a long time since I have posted. Came home from a fundraiser tonight and was not ready for bed, so I stumbled upon reruns of Parts Unknown. Just cool, informative stuff.

So, I thought I would check in.

The Other One, China>Rider, and PITB.

Of the three, PITB never really did it for me. Cool song, but I lose focus on the extended versions.

China>Rider is an easy one. DP12. The version is so unique, that in my opion, the gap between the next best version is vast. More so than any other GD song.

TOO can vary depending on my mood, but 5/3/72 is the benchmark. No better choice when you are looking to extend your glow in Florence with a nice bottle of Umbrian red.

Be well all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

There is also a good'un by Jorma Kaukonen & Vital Parts. Also a Commander Cody show has been released. The Terry & The Pirates DVD is region 0 (region free). I know because I have a copy. I also have the MIG reissue of the Cipollina/Gravenites show which is 2 CDs + DVD. The DVD is region 0 and the 2 CDs contain all the music on the DVD, whereas the original SPV single CD release omitted one song. Quality is mostly very good - it was filmed and recorded for TV broadcast after all. Sadly not everything from Rockpalast has been released on CD or DVD, The Dead being the most glaring omission.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I too recently enjoyed listening to this performance last week, 1975 from the “Big Box”, strange how a lot of people on this board are riding together peacefully on the same wave...our community so far this year of 2019 has blossomed gratefully! Happy to read all the recent posts and reactions from the members on this most excellent board!
Keep on Trucking my brothers&sisters, Rock On!!!
I’m listening to the Grateful Dead’s performance on ‘March 18th 1971’ at the ‘Fox Theater, St. Louis MO, pulled from my “30TATS” Boxset. 🙏❤️😎
... beautiful performance of ‘Me & Bobby McGee’, love it, primo! 😉
Another primo pick in the ‘BIGBox’,30TATS...
Primo audio mix , vocals shine brightly oh my and Pigpen on ‘Harp’, Jerry sweet soloing with great playing from Bob weir! Phil sounds purty good as well...🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Thanks for all that info ie the rockpalast series simonrob, those are some great videos from some gifted performers, I'm interested in the Cipollina ones, he was another very underrated gun slinger, always loved that Copperhead lp, and of course Quicksilver's "Happy Trails". Just dusted off an anniversary show that I was actually at, the 4-7>9-91 spring tour Orlando, FL shows. The opening show was a good one, with a great opening Jack Straw followed by Jerry's Sugaree, into a typical wang dang doodle into a very well done trifecta of Row Jimmy, Bobby's Black throated Wind, which had been absent from the set list for a while, into a fantastic Rubin and Cherise. I remember everyone around where we were sitting saying "what's that tune, is that a new tune, etc.." Our group were the only ones it seemed who knew the tune, and it was done really well, was mentioned in the newspaper the next day, as was Bobby's Black Throated Wind. The second set was also good with an opening Crazy Fingers into a playing>UJB>playing sandwich into a killer drums>space. And that was just the first night. The lot scene was so laid back with a hands off approach by the law, very cool. We all had a blast and it will be one of those concert moments that you remember forever. A beautiful Spring night in Florida surrounded by happy people and wonderful music.

Welcome back Angry Jack Straw, we missed ya.

Happy 30th ICECRMCNKID, actually listening to 4/5+6/89 as we speak. Part of my multiples of 5 year listening plan....

9/28/75; that sounds good for after. Should sound great on big system. Finally installed new MC 601mono blocks I bought 2 years ago but never had chance/place to install them. Woohoo!

Last few; several Wes Montgomery, Dexter Gordon GO, Dave Brubeck, In A Silent Way, Sketches of Spain...been on a jazz bender lately. Much of it Hi-Res...
4/2+3/89, Hamilton, Albany, and P/O Atlanta 90 cause of Sixtus, and my multiples of 5 year anniversary plan. JGB 9/1+2/89, and GD; 6/24/73 CD 3, 3/23/74, 3/28/73 CD 3

TRAINWRECKED; that 9/3/72 other one is most definetly a beast! Good call.

....got up and flew away to 11.6.77 Binghamton disc three to open up my Sunday. Thanks again Dave!
Last five.....
GOGD Binghamton '77 (duh)
Alan Parsons Project - Turn Of A Friendly Card
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Styx - Equinox
Supertramp - Even In The Quietest Moments
In a '77-80 mood it appears.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Angry Jack got it right. Dick's Picks 12 . Pretty perfect start to finish. Great sound for 74.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks for the Rockpalast info. I am also a big fan of Cippolina. I notice also there is a Paul Butterfield blues band Rockpalast available. I'm gonna get that soon. Maybe the Commander Cody one too, I used to see them back in the day. The Commander opened for the Dead at the Oakland Stadium in 74 along with the New Riders and...the Beach Boys! Quite the long day in the stadium, but well worth the wait to hear the boys outside with their WALL. The Commander was great that day, also.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Well, it's here. I am listening to 4/7/72 to commemorate this most auspicious anniversary - a hallowed date in Grateful Dead legend, and one of the finer Other One shows of the tour (afterall, Dave did choose the Truckin' / Other One / El Paso / Wharf Rat medley for Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72).

Some great stage banter after BIODTL:

BOBBY - (to audience) - "begging your indulgence, we're going to carry on with another tune that's........."
(to band) - "what the fuck are we doing here?"

JERRY - "What indeed..."

There's another good one where Jerry says "look, that guy's got a trailer," and you hear Bobby laugh it off. I assume at that point, they were somewhere outside of Barstow when the drugs began to take hold.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by nitecat

I have just watched an amazing couple of tracks by Roy Buchanan, from his Rockpalast concert. That one looks essential, too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Last Comes A Time until May 1 Palladium show... Listen to the second set of this show. Starts off with an Eyes of the World> Music Never Stopped. Its a great sound board all the way to about 8:30 into Comes a Time, but then we get a Rob Bertrando awesome audience tape... The transition between Comes A Time and Franklin's is awesome.

Two shows sandwiched between the two 10/9 & 10/10 Oakland shows (Dick's Picks something) and the 12/31 Cow Palace show. Sort of like being a middle child... So in summary, Set II 10/15/76 but if you are too busy please listen to the Comes A Time> Franklin's... have a great weekend... Bob t

Last Franklin's before the Swing!!!! Ha Ha

....uh,oh, I want to know, what I want to know, where does the time go. That's an exercise in deaddom to tackle every awesome show on it's date. Good Lord. I'm gonna give it the ole' college try. 4.7.72 commences. GSET to get the party started. Could be worse....

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

You can't mention Roy Buchanan without ol' Led chiming in. Like Jeff Beck and David Gilmour, God was in this man's fingers. Oh and in a good year you could paint Jerome John Garcia into that picture.

Live From Town Hall 1974 was the last major release I believe - it's solid. A great place to start would be 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection. And for shits and grins, it doesn't get much better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWIAqVXT4O4

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

In the “Spirit” of things, yuck, yuck, I’ve got the first part of the 4/7 second set (from steppin’ out?) and vooooooooooo left a smokin’ crater indeed! I’d say opening night the boys were pretty psyched for the tour!
Have the 4/8 Dark Star etc queued up for after dinner......ahhhhhhh
“Groooooovin’, ....on a Sunday afternoon.......”

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Thanks for the reminder Keith Fan!! I put on disc one. It's been a while since I played this. They are much tighter than the AOM run. This is Donna's first show, right? She sounds great on GSET. This is really hitting the spot. It is going to be difficult to listen to a show a day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red
Derek and the Dominoes - Layla
Grateful Dead - Lindley Meadows 9/28/75
Alan Parsons Project - Turn of a Friendly Card ( saw it on VGuys list and thought why not, always dug Games People Play)
David Bowie - Low (dig the instrumental tracks on the second half of the album, cool stuff with Brian Eno)

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Are you referring to Shawn Smith's passing?

I missed the 4/7/72 show yesterday, but am going strong today. The Truckin' medley has just begun. Then I'm going straight into 4/8.

Last 5

DP 27
Ace Frehley Anomaly
DaP 28
DaP 29
DL Series 4/17/69 This is a great show. Well worth the effort to download.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

I am enjoying seeing who is jumping off the deep end into good ole' Europe '72. I, too, fired up 4/7 yesterday amid bacon and coffee and was immediately reminded just how ferocious and aggressive they come out playing. Also just out of the gate with the GSET - it reminds me of how this song gets some treatment over the course of this tour and reshapes a bit - especially adding that melodic 4-chord jam part toward the end of the song. It's not really present in this version, but by the end of the tour is is in-place for good. I also really like the Mr. Charlie - Jerry just plays with so much PERSONALITY on that song, bending notes and making it fun all over the place. Not to rummage through every song in the show, but this one was extremely formidable coming out of the gate for a tour opener. That Other One > El Paso > Other One as previously mentioned is saaaa-weet.

I also cheated and got ahead of the game, and immediately put on 4/8 yesterday following 4/7....and again was struck by how aggressive they come out. No holds barred, no prisoners. WOLVERINES!!!! And man, that Dark Star gets out there pretty well into convoluted space, only to be brought back in in the last several minutes where they give it a fantastic workout leading into Sugar Magnolia...a really fun and spotless transition. Imagine if they played Dark Star at that pace and intensity as they do for the last few minutes here for like, an entire 30 minute Dark Star? You'd need handle bars to hold on.

Dunno if I will be able to keep up - this tour is a monster spanning nearly two months...I gave Ingrid the disclaimer...she seems to be rolling with it so far.....one day....two shows crammed in there.....
Spring '90 was a drop in the bucket by comparison.

Have a grate week everyone.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

I always try to hit some of it.. but with a big road trip coming up, I might give it a try...

Edit: First set of 4/7 under my belt and 18 - 20 hours of driving over the next four days.. Love the sound of this one, and the tuning/effects both Jerry and Bob have on their guitars.. electric and grabby, almost with fierce edge to the sound. I guess they wanted to get out of the gate running. Genius to record the whole tour, every note using state of the art multi-track.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I also have 4/7 and 4/8 under my belt. Sixtus, I never noticed the jam you spoke of in GSET. I will replay it. Note to all - any subtleties like the one 6 this mentioned are welcome!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

Right on trainwrecked....this is what makes this sharing forum the best....these little things that make you go Hmmmmm and then re-check or check for the first time what's being uttered. Many a rabbit hole to explore.

I am happy To Serve.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I’m on the bus...Listened to 4/7 Saturday morning and finished up 4/8 with the sound of the thunder and the rain pourin down as Saturday yielded to Sunday. I was quite chemically enhanced, but have to agree, that Dark Star is one of the best I’ve ever heard. And yes Sixtus, that transition is pure bliss, from darkness (minor pentatonic and mixolydian scales?) into light and happier major scales of Sugar Mags...had me dancin around my room for sure. And then, is it the transistion into caution where that awesome “stomp jam” happens? (not sure what else to call it) but had me grinning from ear to ear. During those moments, I can’t help but to laugh out loud....damn these fuckin guys are good! Can’t find it anywhere else....That’s for sure!

KCJ

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

This was never one that particularly grabbed me, but today I've been listening to the second set and wondering where it's been all my life. Shouldn't be surprised I guess - I love that whole run, but never could quite get into this show. Today it hits me in a whole new way. Just another reason why I love this band so much.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Beside some of the obvious selections, I’m curious whats on everyone’s hitlists for RSD coming up on Saturday. Looking for some suggestions that may be off the beaten path.?

Dave Rock, you seem to be spot on most of the time....anything catching your eye. I know Captain Beefheart is one that I will be looking for!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Sorry to post this here, for some reason i couldn't on the 28 thread. I received a second replacement disc 3 which plays fine but i have no use for it, the first replacement they sent did the trick. If anyone wants it just hit me up...first come first served

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't know about being spot on, but two I will be looking out for on Saturday are by Twink, who played with British psychedelic rock bands Tomorrow, The Pretty Things and The Pink Fairies. "Think Pink" was recorded in 1969, with various people from the British underground, including future fairy and guitar ace Paul Rudolph. Double album this -mono and stereo.
The other Twink album being released on RSD is called "Sympathy For The Beast" and features the man himself backed by modern psych band The Technicolour Dream. This one features the Aleister Crowley's poems set to music. Sounds essential.
Also Hawkwinds 1999 Party, recorded live is tempting. And in a jazzier vein, Herbie Hancocks Dedication looks interesting.

Also received one today.
It skips during the filler Hightime. But it’s only filler so doesn’t really matter.
But still, what is up with the digital files that are used for these CD’s that makes so many of them skip? Or is it the manufacturing process? How can it be that they have not figured this out? It’s not rocket science.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Knew I could count on you dude...thank you sir! Hopefully I can grab one or two of those here in the USA, not to mention Kansas, ha, ha! Might be difficult but I will give it the old college try!

Last 5:

GD 04/07/72
GD 04/08/72
Black Keys - El Camino (Vinyl)
Bob Dylan - Rare and unreleased (vinyl side 9&10)
Now: Van Morrison - Blowin Your Mind (Vinyl)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I would go and peruse, but I need a bathroom remodel. Besides. I have enough habits as it is.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I’m jumping in early now and all is well until the Looks Like Rain...hate to say it but I think those street cats died? Trying not to skip it, bit it’s painful...

And I am typically a huge fan of this song but this version....ugh

Edit: sorry for the bad vibe...on now to some Good Lovin’....

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Vguy72

...everyone should look for a copy of this my brothers & sisters! 🙏❤️🤠

JERRY GARCIA, FRANK WAKEFIELD, DAVID NELSON, BRANTLEY KEARNS, PAT CAMPBELL
Drink Up And Go Home: Live At Margarita's Cantina, Feb. 20 & 21, 1975

DETAILS:
RECORD STORE DAY 2019
Release Date: 4/13/2019
Format: 2 x LP
Label: RockBeat
Quantity: ONLY - 1200

Some of the greatest musical moments happen only once, in a live setting, and if you're not there to experience them at the time, they're lost to history. But every now and then, a buried treasure is discovered that brings a lost moment back to life and thrills music fans. Such is the case with this recently unearthed live recording of the all-star bluegrass band the Good Old Boys playing at Margarita's Cantina, a Santa Cruz club, in February of 1975. Most Jerry Garcia fans know of his early interest in bluegrass music, which was an essential part of Garcia's development as an instrumentalist and songwriter, but many Garcia fans are unaware that in 1975, during a Grateful Dead's hiatus, Jerry produced a seminal album for another bluegrass group called the Good Old Boys, featuring guitarist David Nelson from the New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Frank Wakefield, one of the greatest mandolin players in the genre. The Good Old Boys made one album for Round Records, recorded up at Mickey Hart's Ranch. Shortly after completing the Good Old Boys album, the group decided to do a series of live shows, but during that time period, two of the key players from the original studio lineup were unavailable to go on the road. In a conversation with bassist Pat Campbell, Garcia mentioned that he would love to sit in on banjo, and with Jerry's participation, and the addition of fiddle player extraordinaire Brantley Kearns, a new version of the Good Old Boys emerged, ready to hit the club circuit. On February 20th and 21st in 1975, the Good Old Boys played for two nights at Margarita's Cantina. The performances were well received, with outstanding singing, blistering mandolin and violin solos, and a crowd pleasing vibe that's apparent from the moment the band takes the stage. Here, for the first time, thanks to a full restoration of these 2-track tapes, fans can finally hear this music in all its glory.

Disc 1
1 Ashes of Love
2 Deep Elem Blues
3 Dim Lights
4 Fireball Mail
5 I’ll Never Make You Blue
6 All the Good Times
7 She’s No Angel
8 Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail
9 Wildwood Flower
10 Teardrops In My Eyes
Disc 2
1 Lonesome Road Blues
2 Long Gone
3 Leave Well Enough Alone
4 White House Blues
5 T For Texas
6 Jesus Loves His Mandolin Player
7 First Whippoorwill
8 New Camptown Races
9 Pistol Packing Mama
10 Jerusalem Moan
11 Drink Up & Go Home
12 Orange Blossom Special

...have a grateful day everyone. 🙏❤️😎🤠

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Ha you and I are on the same wave rider it seems - I, too , cheated a bit since I had a good head start and also put on 4/11 last night. The LLRain you mention....I heard that too and was like.....oouuuchhhh...who's skinning that cat? It makes Bobby's slide in '78 sound masterful.

BUT - the heavy doozy was of course The Other One in this show. Several years ago, I took a really hard listen to all of the Dark Stars in this tour and did a little write up of each one offering it here - with my ultimate goal to find the best Feelin' Groovy Jam embedded within a Dark Star. It was a fun and fruitful task, and then left me wanting to do this for all of The Other Ones on this tour, looking for the same thing - that elusive Feeling Groovy jaunt. Needless to say, 4/11 has it - and it's pretty damn fun. Let this be my first official accounting. Now to see if I can keep up....

Be Well All.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Hey brother can you copy / paste the website address where you got your info from. I would like to check it out. Thanks

user picture

Member for

9 years

Thanks for the heads up, I had missed that. I will look for it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Sixtus, I'm sure there are lots of us out here who'd love to hear your overview of the Other Ones of Europe '72 and the elusive "best jam"! I still have your notes on the Dark Stars and their jams and Feelin' Groovy bust outs from this amazing tour. With 4/7 & 11 under your belt, I hope you'll please keep on truckin'! Onward, Sixtus!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The CD has been out for a while. Some mixed reviews on Amazon regarding sound quality. Rockbeat releases are generally pretty good in my experience but I haven't heard this one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It's not very often I hear something about Jerry I didn't know, this is fantastic. The album is not available on AMZ or eBay, does anyone know where to get it in CD or digital form?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html