• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

...lol, that had me laughing! 🙏😂
Good morning everyone, hoping to find all of you well, RSD madness today! This years list, for me is very welcoming but I had to restrain myself from spending money which I don’t have right now. But I did recieve a copy of the Jerry Garcia limited to 1200 LPs, from a friend of mine in the music bussness! I’m grateful for just one pick of this years RSD list. I wanted a copy of the Warfield but it was one of the two so I choose the Garcia release for my vinyl collection.
I actually prefer the Warfield “Betty Boards”CD release but I was thinking it will be easyier to get one CD vs vinyl.
Have a grateful weekend my dear brothers & sisters! 🙏❤️😎
...and remember folks, Smile Smile Smile, long live the Grateful Dead and their blessed fans!!!
Peace be with you all...🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Was just looking into all the RSD talk of the Warfield shows. A quick check of my files shows my copy of these shows sound almost(+/-) as good as official recordings. I hope to make it to my local store to see if LP and CD are available, but at least I have a good copy,,, if anyone ends up looking.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hi All,

Just got back from my first ever RSD, and man was that fun! Got in line at about 6:45 for 8:00am opening of first store here locally. Picked up a bunch of stuff that I had earmarked including all of the GD/García releases except for the Good Ole Boys. That one was either gone at both stores I visited or not present at all, and I was 6th in line at the first store, and 32nd at the 2nd store which opened at 9:00am. Picked up last copy of Eel at 2nd store which came with a copy of the Eel River Bonus Disc. Also got a copy of Bob Dylan Test Pressing of Blood on the Tracks which I am highly looking forward to amongst a few others that I will report on as I start listening.

DaveRock, unfortunately I did not get a copy of either Twink albums which I was highly on the lookout for but I got a couple others that I am sure you might comment on. The main reason that I went to the 2nd store was for Twink, but neither store received a single copy....US and KS working against us....someone is not following the yellow brick road....ha ha!

Anyways folks here is my first spin of the day from RSD 2019:

Fela Anikulapo Kuti of Africa and Roy Ayers of America: Music Of Many Colours “2000 Blacks Got To Be Free”
....in the vein of Jimmy Cliff....super funky B-Side that will have you jammin’ and is the reason that I bought it as the 1st record store owner had it spinning as the first group walked in...I got his only other copy....and it came with a free download that I am happy to share for anyone who wants one....just pm me!

Up next James Brown’s Psychedelic Album: Sho Is Funky Down Here....no dowload in this one ☹️....saving Warfield for later!!!!

Rock on Dead People!

KCJ

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In honor of record store day I spun Hofheinz 72 last night for the first time in several years. Yes Phil's bass is up way too high, and you can barely hear Bobby or Kieth in the mix. Too bad, this is a really hot show. That closing jam on He's gone is excellent, and the Playin' is fine. I turned down the bass, and what was left was a thin mid level frequency. This tape sounds like it degraded a little over the years. I'm still grateful the tape was made and released.
I sure would like to own and listen to one of the Warfield RSD CD releases, but I'm sick in bed today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I was able to get the Dylan release as well Lightnin' Hopkins (including Katie Mae..haha); I had a friend grab the Rough Guide to Black, Blind and Blue (acoustic blind bluesmen compilation) because I figured I wouldn't find it here, though they did have a copy too. Those Rough Guides are pretty cool compilations, I got the Jug Band and Rag Time releases last year.

I got talking to another patron about the Dead as we were both looking for the Warfield, really interesting and good guy. I asked if he had saw any of the Dylan ones and he said he had grabbed the last one, but ended up giving it to me. He was like "I was on the fence anyways...do I really need another version of Blood on the Tracks?" and my response was Uhh, yes, I do at least.

They had a copy of the Eel '91 and Sage & Spirit but neither were on my radar for vinyl, though the Eel looked like a really nice package. I will try to find a Warfield at some point here.

Now listening to Dick's 23, 3/23/74 Cow Palace for some porch music. I was on a Game of Thrones rewatch binge, but it's nice to see the sun for awhile. '74 Cassidy... :o

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

Good to read of Muleskinner and KCJ's visits to record shops today. That's the way to do it. I didn't pass go, myself. I would have supported my local record shop - but sadly its long gone. I was going to catch the train to the nearest city...but didn't. I phoned them up , and the weren't getting Gong Live at The Bataclan 1973 in, and I don't think they had ever heard of Twink. So I cheated, and bought the Gong and Think Pink online - still from a legitimate record shop by the looks of things.

I fulfilled basic Dead duties today by listening to Dark Star from Copenhagen 4/14/72 at lunchtime. Sublime music-great high energy Feeling Groovy jam after the first verse. Beautiful recording, too.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

It's hours to the nearest record store for me.. so I bailed. I do have a friend that owns a RS that usually holds the GD stuff for me. Hopefully he will pull through this year.

Happy days all.. did a little 1982 detour today, quite enjoyable.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Emporiaz

Dont click

Marye please show this foo to the door

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Need input!!

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I got lucky and scored the Good Old Boys~Drink Up & Go Home...only copy we found out there today. Whew.
Also grabbed Otis Redding/Booker T & The MG's and the Mar-Keys...and Jethro Tull~North Sea Oil 10".
This was my first RSD live and in person and it was fun. Good to see so many people excited about music.
:O)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

Went to the local store in Golden Valley MN. Waiting in line for about an hour. Got the last copy of the Warfield Theater cd!. How lucky is that. This set is awesome. Best recording I have heard to date. The vocals and the guitars are so crisp it almost feels like I was there. So, these tapes have not been erased. Maybe there is a chance we will get the rest of these unbelievable dates in a mega box. My dream since they started releasing boxes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Somebody oughta flood ping him or http dos

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....and missed RSD. But sleep. Focus shifting to the NHL playoffs. Sue me.
...edit. My sister just bought me an early birthday present in the form of a ticket to tomorrow night's Golden Knights/SJ Sharks playoff game. My smile just got bigger!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Carpet ride is fired up, but Jerry and the boys are right here in my room so there’s no need to fly tonight....until later maybe.

DaveRock....didn’t hear you mention Gong Live At Bataclan 1973 before and maybe I missed it, but when I saw that today I scooped it up thinking, “will have to ask DaveRock about this”! Ha, and there you already scooped it up...it will be spinning here late night for me....on side 2 of 10/9/80 now and I’m on the road again...sure’s you’re born!

Wow this one is pretty sweet people....have to recommend the vinyl!

ROCK ON!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...it’s strange, I like it. Reminds me what the whole scene was about at that time, even thou At the time , i think it’s was the magic fun guy I had with lunch that’s leading be astray, lol ...rock on my brothers & sisters, listen to the music play, dance and Smile theget ready for an adventure thru DeadLand ! 🙏❤️😎🤠
Artwork= Different= new possibilities folks, I dig it! When you read the artists interview, you’ll see what I mean.😉👍

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sorry not to have tipped you off, but excellent instincts at play when you picked this one up. Gong were truly operating from a different dimension, and to see them live was like stepping out of one world and into another. Their albums provided the perfect soundtrack for mind bending experiences-in fact-they ARE mind bending experiences. The mandala that I have appropriated for my picture, to the left of this screen as you look at it, is from the back of their album "You".

I can't resist showing off a bit-I bought a guitar off main man Daevid Allen many years ago. Very inspirational. Although the guitar never worked too well !

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thank god we get a break from the tired, childish skeletons.. LOVE the new cover.

Haven't listened to the Dead in about a year - not for more than a total of one hour. I tend to go ALL IN on the Dead or go totally fallow for a year or two and reproach with fresh ears. Yesterday I finally pulled out 2/26/77 (DaP 29) and listened to a few tracks - was blown away by the sound quality and performance. Can't wait to get back into the Dead at some point. Just not sure where I'll start - fun to think about. Where do you pick up after a long absence?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Haven't seen it. Nor have I gotten any dead.net emails since I was double subscribed, and tried to unsubscribe myself from one. It was annoying to get 2 emails. But, now I get none. Go figure.

Thin - On returning to the dead after a long hiatus - I personally would do it at a time where I could get house shaking-ly loud (turn it to 11) and go with 12/29/77 set II.

Headphones are also great, but then I might go with something like the 12/6/73 Dark Star.

Have fun when you get back! :-)

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Aren't the skeletons kind of, you know, one of their icons? It is a nice break from them, since they have many icons, and skeletons have been widely deployed for the Dave's Picks series. I guess it is the childish part I didn't get. Good to see you back Thin, I was just wondering the other day I wonder what happened to Thin. A year's a long time without the Dead. I barely listen to anything but the dead anymore. There are so many regular releases that it is impossible for them to get stale in my head. They could probably stop releasing stuff now, and it would still take me a year or two to listen to all of the archival releases enough times for them to wear me out.

‘SLOW MOTION’...from the UK, a band that evolved thru out the years, and some people/social media, called them the Grateful Dead of the UK back in the day,?excepcially their album, “Man”! 1974 Great musicians all around this group... here’s one track off the ‘Man’ album.

https://youtu.be/E21APHL0P68

...and here is the full album, ‘Man’ by Slow Motion
...🙏❤️😎🤠 hope every one a grateful day! Peace love & happyness my sisters & brothers, enjoy the music...Rock On!
https://youtu.be/Oby4KyNucoM

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Man is the group, from Wales. Slow Motion was their 9th album (I think).

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by simonrob

... “Slow Motion” released by ‘Man’ in 1974 with
Terry Williams, Ken Whaley, Deke Leonard, Micky Jones. Sorry about that, I switched the Band name with their album name, I’m on a little phone... I hope someone still e joyed the music!
🙏❤️😎
Ps - thank you for the correction simonrob! 🙏

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Whatever you may have got wrong, you were certainly right that they were a fine band. You would also do well to check out a closely related band: Help Yourself. They were also a fine band.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Yup - just seems childish. Apologies in advance - I have a strong opinion on this topic. Get ready for my best "get off my lawn!" speech.

Wanting skeletons on the cover art is like going to see a live band, screaming "Freebird" and actually meaning it. Groan-inducing. Do you wish all the Rolling Stones album covers featured a boulder rolling down a hill, or that Beatles albums all featured a bug on the cover? John: "I've got a cool idea for a Sgt Peppers cover". Paul: "Nah, we're just gonna slab another bug on it". The Doors? Turtles?? Monkees??? Hot Tuna????!!! CREAM!!!!?

Only about 1/4 - 1/3 of GD album art ever contained skeletons as the primary motif, yet for this series it's about 80% bearded skeletons, front and center. You're telling me the artists can't come up with (or recycle, or borrow) some powerful imagery that conveys the myth, power, celebration, originality and majesty of this music besides a skeleton cartoon? Think of past inspired and original art: Egypt '78 with the pharaoh wings and cryptic lettering, or shakedown street with the street imagery, Aoxomoxoa with the sun and cool lettering, roses!!!, or terrapin with the turtles, Bears choice's bears, Wake of the Flood crows/flood motif, Europe '72 with the technicolor images, Anthem's psychedelia, American Beauty's rose and lettering, the earthy saloon feel of Workingman's Dead, the Live Dead....

Even Dick's Picks and Road Trips hardly touched skeletons, and Dick actually came up with some interesting and original contributions to the GD cover art legacy. But Dave's Pick's? Yes there have been some really cool covers, but redundant. Feels like "We're looking to hire an artist for Dave's Pick's - how would your art look?" "I think I'd like to draw some skeleton cartoon figures" "You're hired!" A missed opportunity. So there! :)

Love the Wolf/marquis reflection cover on this release (and a few other Dave's Picks that were original like 2 & 3, and the Springfield '73 release.) THANK YOU for the art that does dare to be different.

Yes, a very good group-especially live. I did used to think there was something Dead like about their concerts much more so than any other British band I saw. They were also inspired by Quicksilver Messenger Service, and even did a tour with John Cippolina around 1975. Unfortunately, I missed that one. There is also live album featuring songs from the tour, called "Maximum Darkness", but I haven't got that, either. There are several great live ones from the early 70s, though- Greasy Truckers 1972 takes some beating.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by daverock

...great post Daverock, I concur about the band, “Man”... I’m going to put one of their LPs in your next parcel. 🙏❤️😎😉...
...I know talking about all these other bands/ musicians are off topic but I love talking about music. I’m sorry & I apologize for stearing the topic off track folks...🙏
...I remember their was some talk of Bob Dylan albums. Does anyone else have this vintage LP?
I just pulled my copy out to give a listen...love it!!!
“Million Dollar Bash” - Bob Dylan 😎

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Dylan-Million-Dollar-Bash-Lp-Red-vinyl-Bla…

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Haven't played this in a few years ....... Forgot how good the jam is between Truckin and Wharf Rat. and the Morning Dew And Greatest Story. Hope everyone had a good weekend. bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years

Dave S. From mass. My friend and all around great guy ,wished I could of said goodbye. Rest in peace fellow deadhead,you will be missed. Your friend Carlo F.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Hilarious if the bonus CD artwork is the top half of the wolf, and he's all morphed into a skeleton. Man I hope that happens.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

….. top half morphed into a skeleton...…………….. with a beard :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a ‘grateful’ morning Monday to all my sister & brothers...🙏
Great post, ‘Thin’ about the Grateful Dead’s history of artwork statement! 😎
‘Mind Left Body’- the other one/half 🙃😉
...to all you treasure hunters out there, their is something ‘New’ coming soon!
Smile Smile Smile 😁😁😁

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hey man, I noticed you occasionally make statements as if you know something about the release schedule that hasn't been announced. Do you know someone who gives you previews? Your comment "to all you treasure hunters out there, their is something ‘New’ coming soon!" for example.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Not Cool, Warner Bros shut out my record store.
Just make the music available to everyone.
All we want is the music, not this bullsh..

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'm ahead of schedule on the E72 Tour campaign. It helps tremendously that I've begun bringing my headphones to work. I can crank it all the way up without bothering anyone, and it's (for the most part) an attentive listen (once in awhile I zone out while I'm digging though a database or whatever).

Listening to The Dead In Denmark, 4/16/72. This was the first one I bought, back around this time of the year in 2014. I had recently picked up Sunshine Daydream, which is the event that converted me from casual bus rider to take out a second mortgage to pay for the back-catalog DeadHead. I was looking for something in the ballpark of Veneta (i.e. 1972 Multi-track), and lo and behold - 22 of them from just a few months prior. I bought this one first 4/16 first because it was in the Rolling Stone top 20 list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/20-essential-grateful-dea…

Donna's absent from this one. I miss her on GSET - she really nails the cool clear water vocal.

Overall this has a great Loser, great China / Rider, oddly no Sugar Magnolia (only show from the tour w/out it), fantastic Truckin' with huge 16 1/2 minute Jam, and basically no Dark Star or Other One (well....we get two short Other One segments, equaling 6 minutes, with Me & My Uncle in between. It's a little bit puzzling how this show was picked by Rolling Stone over so many others from the tour with better set lists and longer shows. But there's nothing wrong with what's here - they're all top shelf performances, which goes for the whole tour.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Flying my Olympia Theatre flag at half mast today. The Notre Dame Cathedral has been devastated by fire tonight.. one of the great architectural monuments ever built.

A sincere, heartfelt moment of silence and sadness to our friends in France and around the world. What a tragedy. So sad..

Hoping humanity can pull together, hoping for a complete restoration / rebuild. Our Lady of Paris, mortally wounded. The world has suffered a tremendous loss.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I feel for my city!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just ordered a CD from Amazon.

Says shipping is May 17 - June 17

Like the 4/18/70 and 11/18/72 Record Days that then came out on CD???

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stone jack baller

....went home for lunch and saw it on the news. Truly horrible and sad. I will admit, a lump did form in my throat when I saw the footage.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Notre Dame
much of Europe in WWII

I was lucky enough to visit Notre Dame when I was a lad (we're talking 1973)

everything is temporary

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by stoltzfus

It looks like they expect the stonework to survive.. including the flying buttresses, which makes rebuilding possible. If we lost the stonework.. it's possible the cost would make reconstruction cost prohibitive in the modern age. It took nearly 200 years to construct the first time around.

With the stonework intact, I believe it can and hope they will be rebuild so others can enjoy for the next thousand years..

"We used to play for silver, now we play for Clive."

I hope Bolo was not involved.. ;D

attend 6/18/83 or 6/20/83?

I listened to those on cassette this past weekend as I did UberEats.

those shows are HOT.

I attended 3/27/83, 7/30/83, and 7/31/83. they were cool and all, but they weren't like the two June dates above.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html