• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Trainwrecked

...first I’d like to make a statement about the horror in Paris today, a sad day in my soul, so much lost turning to dust & rubble, my prayers are with Paris’, May the songs of old play on in heart & soul. 🙏❤️😢
...Trainwreck, you asked me about my last post and by what I mean by “treasure trove” is a new batch of tapes have been recently found. 😉 I’ll share more info when I can. ‘Exciting News For Me’, I love new and unheard recordings of all bands, the Grateful Dead more so now in my life than my past with the likes of ‘Elvis’ & ‘Beatles’ Records lol ...Plus Some confirmed dates for new Dead releases/product...😌
...Keithfan, hope all is well as always. What three shows did I send you from the ‘Europe 72’ boxset, i can’t remember, but I do remember them being Primo Shows ! 😎 and the Primo Show you sent me, love it! 🙏❤️😎
Off to dinner, have a grateful evening everyone...

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

like we have a false prophet among us.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Hopefully no lives were lost or people injured-doesn't seem to be much in the news about that. The only thing I could find was that one firefighter had been burned. Pretty remarkable.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Did anyone just see the post on facebook from the Dead about this. Released 4/15/91, 28 years ago..... This changed everything if you were trading tapes back then!!! Everyone had this show, either FM, or the bootleg called Make Believe BallRoom.. But now we had a legit release!! It really did change everything... It took away i have 1000 hours of tapes and only want to deal with someone who had the same amount and started to level the field..... Sorry to rant but I was in that era... bob t

Edit my first copy of this were two cassettes!!! Didn't get the CD's because wasn't a fan yet!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

I too just got my notice that the CD issue of the Warfield performances will be in my grubby paws in a few weeks...I tried at first on a couple of record shop websites that do online ordering of what is left of the merchandise on Sunday but no luck...I went to Amazon and Bingo! i feel like I won the jackpot considering how many copies are on Ebay for over a $100 a pop...can't wait...meant to say that the nearest record shop to me is over three hours away...at least it's all downhill but still...

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Such sad news.

Not just an architectural marvel, but one of the most important structures in the history of mankind.

My deepest sympathies to the people of France.

Holy Smokes.. yes, I was there. It was biblical, as much or more from the storm then from the music.. but it all combined for a complete sensory overload.

I wrote something on this a couple times over the years.. but I think I was too shy to share details, or perhaps too lazy to try and remember it all and it put to paper.

Just getting home, if I have some time once I get settled I will try and put my arms around it..

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

They say the oakwood interior of the cathedral was built in the year 1200, requiring trees that would have been 400 years old, thus sprouting out of the ground in the 8 or 9th centuries. Hard to believe.

Bob t - thanks for the heads up on One From The Vault release date. I could use a change from the E72 binge. I did manage to get in 6/14/76 and 12/26/69 today, both on the Rolling Stone top 20.

Lovemygirl - I don't recall which ones you sold me, I'm thinking Tivoli II, Lille France, and maybe one of the Lyceum shows? Lotta weed in between ;-) I don't remember what I sent you, refresh my memory. My memory is outstanding on everything until I was 25, and then past 3 weeks. But everything in between is shit.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by MDJim

I apologize for the length of this post.. but man.. that storm.

I grew up perhaps an hour hike from Merriweather Post Pavilion.. and after getting harassed by Howard County's finest for hiding beer under my car instead of pouring it out on the curb as instructed at a Jethro Tull show a few months earlier culminating in a thorough and regretful search of my parents car and a loss of a nice pipe and some hash.. I just started walking to shows from that point forward (at least until I moved out of my parents house). I probably saw between a hundred and a hundred fifty shows there over the years.. probably about the same number of times I saw the Grateful Dead. I'm ashamed to admit now.. but I knew how to get in that place for free plus the ticket collectors were mostly people I went to high school with, so taping two stubs together and presenting an amicable grin was usually enough to gain entrance. I did buy tickets for many/most shows, certainly for all the Dead shows.. - never take unnecessary risks.

Some background.. I wouldn't compare this to one of the greatest or best shows, but it was memorable for lots of reasons. My first show was 4/19/82 at the Baltimore Civic Center (perhaps my biggest lysergic GD moment, save that for another day).. I believe I made the Capital Centre shows in the fall that same year but they weren't playing super close in the Spring so we headed South to Hampton and my first GD road trip in April for my one and only birthday show. I think I drove and I am confident we did not tell my folks we were taking the family car to partake in all kinds of shenanigans and see the Dead.. in hindsight, so dishonest. Then it was announced that they would be playing two nights in the summer for the first time at Merriweather Post, my local venue. I couldn't believe it.. That would make this run my fourth and fifth shows.. I was still quite green behind the ears.

I had friends that worked as busboys and room service at the Columbia Inn, where all the bands stayed back then that performed at Merriweather, they told stories of bands partying in the bar, tips they got (or not) and what floors they would put them in, etc.. so the night before, on whim.. we showed up and went to the bar. I could barely drive but with an older brother that looked similar, and the drinking age being 18 at the time, I had an ID and we headed past the lobby to find Phil sitting at a table by himself.. we closed the bar that night and had some passes for the next day... I have to say, he was super nice and not at all an icon or unapproachable. I do recall a few of the stories told, but the memory I left with was that I could not muster up the courage to offer anything intelligent to say and couldn't think of a decent question to ask until I was walking through the parking lot to the car at the end of the night. After a few beers, humor was flying and things seemed fine. Phil seemed happy to have a group to party with. I was so young I couldn't even order a beer correctly.. I asked for a tap beer and she brought me a tab (soda).. so she returned it and brought me a draft Budweiser.

So the next day.. a few of us walked from the neighborhood where we all lived to the show, a bit early.. I had my pass and went backstage and it was so weird.. plus early. I just couldn't handle it. I didn't know anyone except my buddy.. and it was like being in a foreign country. Nobody seemed to want anything to do with us and the band wasn't there yet.. So we decided to split before the show started, inhale a bit in safety and get to our seats, which were pretty close.. I am fairly sure we took some mushrooms too which only made it all the more weird. So the only time I ever had backstage passes, I totally wasted them. ..Perhaps for the best.

I don't think you can talk about the show without talking about the storm. Growing up there.. the only time I recall it raining harder was during Hurricane Agnes in 1972. This is the only time I recall the highway on the way in (Route 29) flooding and being shut down like it did that night. The storm was biblical and it wasn't just rain. It thundered and lightninged for hours that night and I believe lightning hit the lightning rod at the venue or perhaps the shed itself at least once (during He's Gone, Truckin' and perhaps one other time), but that's probably impossible to verify. You can hear it on the tapes though including the PA going in and out several times.

So the performance aside, there was other energy and stimulus going on that night.

The setlist was fairly standard for the day.. my second Peggy-O, second Truckin', second China>Rider. The first set was pretty standard, but things started to get weird by The Music Never Stopped.. I forget exactly when the started and ended and then started again, but I think t had had rained in the first set and the beginning of TMNS, then the sun came out for a bit during this song, then set break.. then big cumulonimbus clouds, then it started getting spooky dark as the setbreak came to an end. ..and then things really got weird. In hindsight, we should have starting building an ark.

The second set started with China>Rider>Sampson>He's Gone>Truckin'>Drums. By the transition in China>Rider, everyone was getting soaked and the rain entered the pavilion area as it was raining sideways. I had to pee as Sampson started and by then people were body sliding down the lawn and everyone was so soaked that it just didn't matter anymore. Soaked to the bone, you couldn't get more wet.. When I got back to our seats, the heavens opened up and the lightning started and it went from weird to downright scary. The people working at the venue sought shelter, anarchy ensued and there was a mad rush from the lawn to the pavilion area. Everyone got squashed and became bug eyed.. and safety became a big concern. We got pushed forward and what row you sat in mattered less than the need to create more room inside, under the shelter. By He's Gone, there became a general feeling of insecurity and helplessness, just as I began to peak. Lightning struck the shed and the power went out.. but the weirdest thing of all, the band was just as freaked as we were, but the they kept playing on. I swear Phil and Jerry were playing power chords in sync with the thunder and lightning. By the time Space ended, we got a rare Bob Star (one of three times played).. during Sugar Magnolia I think Bobby got shocked and put down his guitar and took his mike to a strange part of the stage and started wailing into the mike.

There was no encore and no soundboards exist.

So what to 20k tripping, soaked, disoriented hippies do when the show ends? The deluge had stopped but it continued to rain. There was a tiny creek between the venue and the parking lot, usually a trickle like you see on a water fountain.. it was flooded way over the banks and to make matters worse had washed away the foot bridges, so you really couldn't safely walk to the parking lot, but people managed.. the lawn was so eroded both from the rain but more from people doing mudslides down it that at dawn, they had to bring in heavy machinery and rebuild the lawn as there was another show that next night. After they Dead left.. they really went to town and had to do a total rebuild of the lawn area, changing the contour forever.. lots of heavy machinery. They spent the day off to rebuild it with different contours to the format we have to this day.

When we walked home, still tripping.. we could not go the way we came, it was not passable. So we went an alternate route. Getting over the highway, which was still flooded.. we held hands as the current was strong and waded in waste deep water eventually getting to other side and about an hour later to mom and dads house. Some quick showers, then post show activities until the sun came up then sleep.. only to do it again the next day on a reformatted lawn with straw and new sod. They played Looks Like Rain that next day and you can imagine the crowd reaction.

So back to the show.. Yea.. I sort of remember 6/20/83. It was the weirdest, highest energy GD show I ever saw. Not the best, but certainly one of the most memorable. I saw every GD/JGB show played there but this was perhaps the most fun. Thanks for jarring my memory.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by KeithFan2112

...Road Trips ‘The Wall Of Sound’ minus the Bonus Disc...I play it quit often! Thank you again my friend, I hope your still enjoying those major Europe 72’ shows...love it!
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Keith fan - I smiled when I read that you welcomed a break from listening to E72 chronologically. I have noticed, in recent years, that two shows in any one run is the optimum amount to listen to, for me, in one go. Even for a run as great as this one. Two shows-then I move on to a different era, returning to the original run refreshed and ready to rock. Spread over the year, E72 sounds much better than if you try and crash through it during April and May. In my opinion, I should say.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I really enjoyed your story. We're all so darn alike, I feel like I was there. When I hit the lottery, I'm going to host a Grateful Dead convention, and all the cool dude to hang out here are coming for free. There's going to be a huge replica of the wall of sound, if not the wall itself. And I'm going to hire band member look-alikes to mime to all of the great music I intend to put through those speakers in a 3-day weekend. When we listen to Fillmore West 1969, the band impersonator for Garcia is going to be wearing Jerry's Hockey shirt and sporting the Gibson SG. When Dick's Picks 31 hits the airwaves, Jerry's going to have the Wolf in hand. I'm also going to have a Bill Graham and a Ken Kesey and a Ramrod; you name them, they'll be there. Doctor Rhino, Mark Pincus, Dave Lemieux, and Mary E -you're all invited too. Bear will be there, maybe even Wavy Gravy. And without a doubt, there's going to be a big f****** tie-dye bus was Cowboy Neal at the wheel! This is going to happen. The Lord is going to set me free of my financial constraints and we are going to party like it's the olden days. And skeletons....lots of skeletons....bearded skeletons, coattail skeletons, terrapin skeletons......

Daverock, yeah, sometimes you have to switch up what you're taking in. I really enjoy your posts, I don't remember you always being around, but definitely the past 2 years or so, you've been a regular contributor bringing great insights and Good Vibes. Stay Gold Ponyboy.

P.S. - I am finishing off 4/16 Dead in Denmark now. One thing that is fantastic about this show, is that Keith is very high in the mix most of the time. As I bitched about the other day, he's tragically missing from most of this tour. But we get a good dose of him here so enjoy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Been listening to Live at the Warfield in an attempt to dim the images of the tragedy in Paris at Notre Dame: "OUR" Lady . . . this feeling at the loss of part of our collective humanity reminds me of the destruction of The Buddhas of Bamyan or ancient Palmyra – at least this looks like an accident. Great comments everybody!

And what an amazing chronicle of 6/20/83 Merriweather MdJim has unfurled! Haa! Merry-Weather indeed! What an adventure. Couldn't happen these days with doppler radar warnings spoiling all the fun. Thanks Jim! Onward!

Sign me up Keithfan!

Finally, will amazon actually be shipping the RSD LP & CD releases of the Warfield shows in 1-2 months? If so, I guess that pretty much signals the end of Record Store Day. It negates RSD's efforts on behalf of all the very cool and needed, but often struggling, independent record stores across the country. RSD's annual release of all the incredible (so-called) "limited edition"(?) releases once a year will be rendered meaningless.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I started my day with Winterland 6/7/77 & 6/9/77 then I had to throw on Dicks Picks #14 Boston Music Hall 11/30/73 for that opening ‘Morning Dew’ from Jerry and the band, from what happened in Paris’ , I needed a dose! 😢 I think I’ll ride this whole release out for the rest of my day... peace be with you all! 🙏❤️

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

So the 10/22/78 Winterland show was on Sirius today at noon... Great 30 minutes of Hamza to start the show and a 21 minute NFA with a Caution Jam in it. Whenever I hear these shows I always think of the Jam before If I had the World to Give from 10/17/78. If you have never listened to it, around the 4 minute mark of space, (or Jam) A woman asks Jerry "I know this sounds crazy but I would like to take banjo lessons" He replies that he doesn't teach them anymore and then she asks again!!! If you don't have the show couple good copies on Archive... This didn't make the cut for the Road Trip release!!! Have a good day... bob t

Edit The Jam didn't make the cut but If I had the World to Give was on bonus disc....

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

April '78 was pretty hot. I've had this one on my phone for a long time, compliments of the "trove". As I am finished with the E72 show in Denmark, I jumped forward in time 6 years - here it is:

https://archive.org/details/gd1978-04-16.sbd.cantor.motb.81457.sbeok.fl…

This show hails from just one week prior to DaP 7 & DaP 15. They seem to be polarizing shows around here, but DaP 7 was my first DaP, so special place (and whatever else one can say about it, The Music Never Stopped is one of the best (and the reason I splurged on eBay for it). I prefer Jan - April '78 above all else released that year until the material from Shakedown Street came out......I guess that only constitutes Road Trips '78, Rocking The Cradle, and Closing of Winterland.

But back to 4/16 - can't go wrong with a set list containing Scarlet / Fire AND Estimated / Eyes. Unless it's one of those fast '78 Eyesis. Heh, not sure how fast this one is - we'll see. I tried slowing one of them down with this new "tempo" feature on Poweramp. Didn't quite sound right slow either....

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Giving this a first spin now....kinda does remind me of a back porch in July...could be San Francisco, but I could argue Kansas City, or Friendsville, MD, St. Johnsbury, VT, or Northvale, NJ....maybe Austin, TX, outside of Philly, not far from London, England, or Jacksonville where the good Doctor roams. Yes sir, wherever a DeadFreak shakes their bones, this one sounds mighty fine!

KCJ

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Wow....wouldn’t have ever even thought about picking this one up without this group. This is really weird, it rocks, and I love it.....

KCJ

First, are hearts go out to our brothers and sisters across the pond. Loss beyond words....such an amazing place. Sort of ironic that after WWII etc and all the times someone wanted to wreck it, it was probably someone trying to fix it that did it in....
Was fortunate to go there twice on a family vaca late seventies. Can still picture sitting there first time we visited at that late afternoon time of day with the sun the way it gets then, streaming in through the west window, with some musical performance in progress?, amazing. I was just a goofy teen who generally didn’t care that much about all the cultural stuff and museums and such we were visiting, but even then N.D. really blew me away, especially dug thestain glass windows and the gargoyles when we did the full tour the second time. Sounds like fortunately the Stone/structure is ok so they can rebuild. Of course it will be interesting to see who gets to pay. You’d think the Catholic Church would pony up being one of the richest “nations” but something tells me that won’t happen! Sorry, I digress......back to happy!
Great stories guys, always one of my favorite things here in this space. From bobt’s little nugget to Jim’s awesome tale, to Keithfan, especially your recounting of your first show at RFK, whoa. It’s funny how you get mental ideas of what folks here might really be like, which of course in reality is ridiculous, but the human mind works such that you can’t help it. So Kfan reminds me of I guy I used to work with. Funny thing is I didn’t picture you as a “gun guy” lol. “Goes to show you don’t ever know....”
One of the best things about Jim’s story is how he illustrates just how situational our show experiences are. He says the show was not necessarily the best show he ever saw, but the situation/energy etc played such a big part that it left such a big “smoking crater” .....this is one of the reasons I’ve really been enjoying getting back into the scene and digging deeper into the music. There are still many shows I was at that I’ve still not heard, so when I do get around to hearing them I’m often blown away by how different they seam compared to my sadly rapidly deteriorating memory. There was a time I could tell you every song in order from most of my earlier shows, but eventually shear number of shows and a, ahem, and correspondingly shear volume of supplements made that start to fade. Now add the ravages of time and well, “it all rolls into one, and melts into a dream” But hey, what a mighty fine dream eh!
Anywho, love this place and all the great, different things that you all share here, especially the great show stories!
Speaking of, where’s my bizarro twin?? We miss ya, and Bolo, and Doc etc....and hippie chick! But at least we got Thin back, welcome back brother!
Anniversary. Speaking of April 78, that’s the month that I sorta became more of a dead head rather that just a fan....of course the full transformation didn’t happen for a few more months until I finally got to see my first show. But yeah, 41 years ago, yes-gads where does that pesky time go indeed 😎

Be well and rock on folks!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Bobby T - No sooner do I recommend a 1978 show from April than you recommend one from October. We clearly were typing the posts at the same time, judging by the time stamps . It's also kind of bizarre that I made a point about the April show having both a Scarlet Fire & Estimated Eyes, AND that I basically said that the next worthy shows in 1978 didn't come until they started playing the Shakedown Street material. And your show has a bunch of Shakedown Street material on it. Well it just so happens I have 10-17-78 on my phone and have cranked it up on the drive home. LOOK OUT STAGGER LEE!

Yeah I know the July box set is cool. There's also the show with Dick's Scarlet Fire from 9/2. Dick seem to like that one, or at least he said it was his favorite Scarlet Fire. Recording sounds like s*** so I've never listened to the whole thing.

Ok. Back to Grateful Dead Europe '72, I'm up to Farewell Copenhagen, 4/17. It's sick how much quality listening time I'm getting in now that I brought my headphones to work. Yeah that's me at work sporting the BackBeat Pros. I can't hear them they can't hear me; life is good. Note the dual monitor screensavers in the background; they rotate once a minute, randomly posting pictures from my high resolution Dead cover art folder.

I must say I am very impressed with the overall presentation and sound quality of the few albums I bought on RSD. Both were delivered today. As advertised, nice and heavy. Pressed on coloured vinyl, they sound much better than the murky originals I got decades ago-one of them is padded out with all sorts of extras-booklets signed cards etc. They seemed expensive-but well worth it now they are here.

I wondered what The Dead's RSD album was like in terms of sound and presentation. Unless I have missed it, there doesn't seem to have been much reporting back on this one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Warfield vinyl is awesome dude....do not hesitate. Still available for retail on Amazon as of yesterday as well as the CD. Sound quality is excellent in the vinyl. I have not heard the CD.

I just saw the same thing.. I agree with what you have to say about 1978 also. One show from May that sticks out, just because I had the audience tape is 5/7/78 RPI Fieldhouse.... Start at the close of the first set with Music Never Stopped and listen to the end of second set... Awesome Iko out of Drums.. I am a huge fan of the end of 78 after the Shakedown material is released!! I wish the Red Rocks shows from August were on SB!!! We were totally on the same wave length especially that everyone calls me Bobby T and not Bob t even though that is my sign in!!! Bobby T

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I don't have that one Bobby T, I'll have to put it on my phone. Dick's 25 hasn't grabbed me yet, but I like 30 Trips '78 a lot (5/14).

Last comment on 4/16/72 - just listened to NFA, Pt. 2 (again) on headphones - Bobby and Pigpen trade off the NFA lyrics so damn good at the end there, it'll make yer head spin.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

6-20-83 was a favorite that I lost or gave away years ago, and you hooked me up with a copy that I'm sure was from the same source.
The Bob Star->Other One->Wharf Rat->Sugar Mag(w/ Bobby's Aborigine dream rap) is by far one of my favorites. Of all time. I'm thinkin' there was a lightning strike during Wharf Rat at about the 5:06 mark, at the peak of "I'll get up and fly away.."

Thanks again man... :O)

Jerryweather indeed...

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Given the enormity of the fire from an outside vantage point, I am shocked at how well the interior remained intact. Very fortunate.

Much like the stories being shared about people's first GD show, my memories of ND were shaped by the experience, not the cathedral itself.

Beautiful, ornate, mythical, etc. Yup. But not what I remember most.

While approaching the bell towers for the first time, I noticed a tourist being swarmed by a half dozen gypsie children. All reaching for his coat pockets in an attempt to pilfer. He scurried off. Their attention then turned to a young woman walking in front of us. "Do you speak English?" I overheard. "Not a word" she replied.

Off they ran in search of the next victim.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Thanks for the feedback. It is the vinyl edition that interests me. Maybe I should get "Reckoning" down from the attic first, to see how the music grabs me these days. I can't say I have played it-or any 1980 acoustic Dead music, for that matter- in many years.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Angry Jack Straw-thanks for the moving story about the poverty stricken children attempting to steal off apparently affluent tourists in the shadow of Notre Dame. Quite a powerful and thought provoking image. Makes me wonder who the victims were. Everybody, probably.

I am not accosted by children in London, but every time I go I have to step over homeless people lying on the street. I often wonder why I am in my position and they are in there's. Nothing to do with personal merit, that's for sure. Its always shocking to be witness to extremes of poverty and wealth rubbing shoulders.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by daverock

...Daverock and to anyone else interested about this RSD release. They are from the returned Betty Boards! Get a copy either one for this Primo Audio Quality release!!! 🙏😎❤️
Here is a “15 minute sample”...release sounds much better!

https://sos2208.akamaized.net/gdead/listeningparty/rsdwarfield/rsdwarfi…

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I've returned to E72, April 17 show. This is the one you can see about an hour's worth on YouTube. I like the first-ever He's Gone. My first listen to this song was when Rockin the Rhein came out. That one, this one, and the one from hundred-year Hall on April 26th are the only ones that don't have the middle 8 / going where the Winds Don't Change verse. I like these the best. I also like the fast tempo. For the versions that do have the middle 8, the last show at the lyceum is pretty cool because of Bobby's tremolo effect on his guitar. I think this is another case of me getting used to the first version I hear of a song, and it sticking. The Berkeley show from Dave's Picks 20 whatever also has a really great he's gone. Pardon the spelling and case fluctuation, I'm in the car Google a voicing it. Anyway, April 17th, Tivoli x2 - another outstanding show. Those Lucky Bastards got two Great Dark Stars. These are some of my favorite Cautions ever. With Keith onboarding, they were much more streamlined and accessible. They only played it five or six times on this tour. I'll tell you what would have been cool on the pigpen front, is if they played a few less good Lovins, and threw in some smokestack lightning and Midnight Hour. The smokestack from Dave's Picks 22 shows just how potent that song had become, just a couple of months before the Europe tour. And the Midnight Hour from ladies and gentlemen might be the best ever. And of course the more wistful side of me laments that they did not have the new bird song arrangement together in time for this tour. And heck, why not a Saint Stephen or two. I also really did are you lonely for me baby from Dick's Picks 30. They could have fine tune to that one into something special. If Jimbo ever gets that way back machine fixed, we're visiting Sam Cutler and putting some ideas into his head. Because I saw a long strange trip, and those boys respected him. I'm sure if he said to practice a couple of those Tunes I mentioned, they probably would have played all of them except Saint Stephen :-D. Alligator is also suspiciously missing after April of 71. They had pared it down to 4 1/2 minutes at the last performance of it at the Fillmore East, so why not just keep it in the repertoire. I mean really, is any song shout it out from the crowd more than alligator? Paint It Black you devils!

I found a 5-hour YouTube mix of all Grateful Dead jams from 1969 to I think 1983. Great stuff. Always interesting to hear what somebody's going to put in the mix like that.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Yea, this is a nice 2-show acoustic sampler....but I'm surprised they haven't announced the WARFIELD '80 box Set for this year, maybe soon ; )

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

…. or J Pan Fan.

Seems only a couple of your avatar photos feature a "red" square on the cup. I downloaded and blew up,,, still can not tell what the red square says?

Ok KeithFan, you know you can't mention 4/16/78 without Sixtus chiming in. I mean, this is an all-time favorite of mine and I've had the tape forever. They need to release this one and I thought i saw it on the list of recovered boards?

I completely concur with this being a standout from the early part of the year, overall. It has my all-time favorite Peggy'O that made it onto personal compilations in the past simply due to Jerry's solo in there....he takes things around the block several times and the naughty dirty guitar sounds emotionally exceptional. And of course the Scarlet > Fire to END the first set is pretty unique and rare especially that ">", wherein they do some very cool stuff and Donna's timely input during that ">" peak actually helps things out IMHO. But I truly love that Estimated > Eyes; the Estimated has some very slinky, prodding, mysterious vibes to it before it drops into Eyes of the World. And, although this is a faster version, Eyes cannot be underestimated - Keith belts out expressive supporting chords as the frenzy hits, and even note the very end....where they once again COME BACK to the Eyes theme as it seems to be fizzling...and it comes back WITH A FURY before settling into drums. And then I always loved that Iko coming out of drums, it was such an early take, followed by a fully rockin Sugar Mag.

People should give this one a listen for sure.

As for E'72, I need to get back on track, but I have always wondered: WHAT HAPPENED TO BIRD SONG????
We don't ever see it sitting on the wire during this tour - and that's a shame in consideration of the epicness it projected shortly thereafter.

Sixtus

P.S. also enjoyed the various stories and musings from the gang; as others note it sort of puts one into the shoes of another for some fun and unique perspectives.

And my heart goes out to Notre Dame; very sad but glad to see it still stands in defiance and will shine once again.

P.P.S. Thanks to peeps here, I was able to grab a copy of the RSD Warfield on CD via Amazon for exactly.....zero dollars. Such is the benefit of buying so much stuff off Amazon that I had enough "points" to cover this CD. I like the cost when it's zero.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by RV3

Okay RV3, do you have information that we will be getting a Warfield 1980 Box Set this year? Don't get me too excited as I am still at work!

Let us know. Thanks 😊

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My unsubstantiated suspicions were also that this acoustic Warfield release was a prelude to a Box of electric sets.

Also,
I noticed that 5-15-70 Road Trips rerelease is available for preorder on Amazon.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I am only hoping on suspicions also for a Warfield '80 Box Set. Someone had originally mentioned it on the RSD release thread that it might be a prelude to a Warfield Box Set...who knows? Also previous RSD releases were part of larger Box Sets, 4/25/77 comes to mind. It was a RSD release, and part of the 30 Trips Box Set. Also, 3/29/90 Wake Up To Find Out was a RSD release, and then a part of Spring 1990(TOO). I believe there are a few other RSD releases that were part of Box Sets, etc ? Certainly seems like it could be the lead in to that type of box, BUT It may not be for a couple of reasons: 1) Dave has stated that the 1980 Warfield/RCMH tapes were taped over after Reckoning/Dead Set. 2) They do very few if any releases from the 1980s, I wouldn't expect them to a total 1980 Box - but I'm hoping like others! Where is that Bowlo fella with hints?!?

I share in the hopes for this box. We know one thing for sure. The tapes used to produce the Warfield acoustic release have not been recorded over, the expanded Dead set they released in the 2000s and the expanded Dead Ahead bonus material all have not been recorded over.
Maybe Dave will give us some hints tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Loved your post on the 6/20/83 show since I too was there and it was quite memorable. Only one correction. There was an encore: Its All Over Now Baby Blue. Jerry's voice may not have been up to par in '83, but it was still a mighty fine rendition of Baby Blue.

As you said, that Merriweather show may not be one of the best show of all times, but it was incredibly magical to most who attended it. Just read the reviews on the Archive (or even here on Dead.net). Unlike you Jim, I was on the lawn and had to brave the monsoon. I made a brief venture to the Pavilion during the second set, but things were a little too weird there so I wondered around and eventually back out into the torrent of rain. I guess I'll share a quick personal story about that show. During the peak of Music Never Stopped, a casual acquaintance of mine came running toward me in her yellow dress with a handful of mud. She plastered that mud on the back of my white shirt. I don't think we had Garcia handprints just yet back then, but her slap on my back formed a perfect handprint, only with a middle finger unlike Garcia. She disappeared and I didn't see her again that night. I knew from friends that she went back to New York, and I ventured off to Colorado later that summer. What was so odd was that mud handprint stayed on my shirt in perfect form. For most of that three hour show I was standing in the most relentless deluge of rain and that handprint never washed off the shirt. Days after the show, the shirt dried and so did the mud, but that muddy handprint never flaked off and never lost it's shape or character. At the time, it was a memento of a magical evening so I left the handprint there for as long as it was last. Six months later I returned to Baltimore and saw my acquaintance friend at a party. We talked of how much fun we had at that Merriweather show and how special it was when we briefly saw each other. She still had the yellow dress and I still had the white shirt with her handprint. Perhaps it was a simple twist of fate, but I felt a spark. Five years later we married. Through the years the shirt, and the dress, have disappeared, but my wife and I are still together and have been married for 30 years (holy sh%#$!--30 years, really?) I'm fortunate that we're still together, but perhaps more fortunate that she likes to listen to the Dead as much as I do (which is a friggin' lot!!). Anyway, for me, that Merriweather show was a memorable evening indeed.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

bobby at the end of Sugar Magnolia

yeah a yeah a yeah!
yeah a yeah a yeah!
yeah a yeah a yeah!

why oh why can't 6/18/83 and 6/20/83 have pristine soundboards to give the full Norman to...

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

..also a favorite of mine, but Morgantown is the closest city to me so it's almost home (almost heaven?).

It's a cool venue.. looks like a mini-Hampton Coliseum nestled on the top of one of many foothills in Morgantown.
Hartwerger, thanks for the correction on the Baby Blue encore. I tried to remember as much as I could from that night.. and the encore wasn't on the page I was listening to from Archive.org to try and refresh my memories.

I am a little unclear on when it started raining so hard and when it wasn't in the firsts set. By the second set, the torrent from above was relentless..

Oh.. and for the record, I like your story much more than mine. How cool, what an ending. Serendipitous.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Good catch Dennis. I was wondering if anyone would notice. Failed attempt to put the Rush 2112 logo and star on the cup. I say failed because the resolution went to shit as soon as I clicked save. Always loved that album.

Sixtus, great write up on that 4/16 show. I have to revisit it now and check out all of the parts you mentioned.

I've done 4/17 some justice today. Keith is around a little bit on this one. I've always liked Pigpen's participation on this Dark Star, in the way of sustained Hammond chords providing a little bit of atmosphere during the quiet parts.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by stoltzfus

I've noticed some talking about '83 shows lately. I know there has been some controversy in the past about pro and con on 80's shows. Don't wish to rile anyone up but I sure wouldn't mind a box of 5 or 6 83 shows. I know there are plenty of better shows especially '70's I was at a bunch of them. For whatever reason possibly because '83 was one of my biggest years,think I saw 36, if they weren't the best that year at least for me was big time fun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by snafu

....to be honest, I don't recall hearing this show. I could be wrong 🤔

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

Got in Tivoli 4-17. What a fun one. Even watched the Big RxR Blues vid. Awesome stuff.
Seeing as it's now 4-18 where I am, I'm listening to 4-18-70. Really good acoustic Dead. I'm thinking it was a RSD thingy too. Another acoustic Dead RSD release...
...songs 12 thru 17 is Pig un-plugged...great stuff.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...good morning everyone, wishing everyone a ‘Grateful’ Day! 🙏❤️😎
I also always loved the Grateful Deads song,”Clementine”, I’m quite happy there’s going to be another live recording version released along side the version/track that was included in the ‘ So Many Roads’ box-Set. I really still enjoy this boxset, im still exploring all its hidden treasures in varied depths after all these years, it’s like a Mini “30 Trips Around the Sun.” Great Box Set, if you don’t already have a copy, it’s something you should put on your “wanted list”.
Speaking of the “Big Box/30TATS, I’ve been listening to the Dead’s performance in February 22nd 1969, ‘Dream Bowl’, Vallejo CA.
In February of 1969 the Dead had a run of shows at the ‘Fillmore West, four primo shows were recorded by Bear to make the ‘Live/Dead’ album, also the end of shows in January at the ‘Avalon Ballroom ‘ were Recorded... ;)
A week before the ‘Fillmore’ shows, the Grateful Dead performed in ‘Vallejo, CA in the North Bay Area called the ‘Dream Bowl’. This release includes some material from back then, the bands new album “AOXOMOXOA” songs like, ‘Dupree’s Diamond Blues’, ‘Mountains of the Moon’, ‘Doin’ That Rag’ and ‘ St. Stephen’. Also a great take of Pigpens ‘Love Light’!!! This show is just pure high energy exceptional musicianship from the entire band!
After listening to the ‘Dream Bowl’ show this late this morning I decided to take a step back to get a better point of view and decided to play the 1968 selection in ‘30TATS’ boxset. October 20th 1968, ay the famous ‘Greek Theater’, Berkeley CA! It’s not a long performance because they shared the bill with other bands participating in the festive but it makes no difference because the band brings all their raw primitive psychedelic rock to pristine heights in their collective consciousness to this particular show! Long live the first frontman , my man, Pigpen! Love it!!! Rock on my fellow travelers and midnight tokers 😉 lol 🙏❤️🤠 ...it’s almost the Eleven, then I have 3/19/90, ‘Civic Center’, Hartford CT, Spring Tour “Live and Electric”
waiting in the wings...😎
...I just had to experience this again! 🙏
Ps. Man, I really wish the multi-tracks were used for the Fist ‘SPRING 1990’ boxset like on the ‘SPRING TOO’ boxset...Still MUCH LOVE for these two Box’s. There as important to me as the ‘Fillmore West 1969’ boxset Release ! Just my liking. 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I made my Aoxo purchase:) I look forward to the live bonus tracks.

I listened to 4/17/72 yesterday. Vguy I'm surprised you've never listened to this one! Pretty Dark Star. To Keithfans point, Pigpen makes a nice bridge into Sug Mags.

Sixtus I took your advice and listened to Jerry's guitar solo on Peggy O. Wowzers!

Lovemygirl I never paid too much attention to the Dream Bowl show because I thought it would just be a lesser sounding Fillmore West. I will do diligence.

Holy $hit man, you just pulled at my heart strings with that one. What a story!! And what a memory.
Very cool, very awesome.

About to jump into 4/17/72 myself since I'm working from home; its convenient that a lot of these shows have a day in between, so there's a little more breathing room to not get left behind. I'm also totally enjoying the ongoing collective upkeep with this historical listening task. Bravo!

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

I've had a subscription for a few years now but I've always grabbed an extra on the sale date to gift one of my many knucklehead friends with for a birthday present...this Vol I have to let slide by unfortunately...Next week I have to go the "Big City" and I plan on hitting all the record shops there for Record Day Remnants and such...oh well, my Wife will be impressed...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html