• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Lovemygirl

...Daverock and to anyone else interested about this RSD release. They are from the returned Betty Boards! Get a copy either one for this Primo Audio Quality release!!! 🙏😎❤️
    Here is a “15 minute sample”...release sounds much better!

https://sos2208.akamaized.net/gdead/listeningparty/rsdwarfield/rsdwarfi…

• daverock

Angry Jack Straw-thanks for the moving story about the poverty stricken children attempting to steal off apparently affluent tourists in the shadow of Notre Dame. Quite a powerful and thought provoking image. Makes me wonder who the victims were. Everybody, probably.

I am not accosted by children in London, but every time I go I have to step over homeless people lying on the street. I often wonder why I am in my position and they are in there's. Nothing to do with personal merit, that's for sure. Its always shocking to be witness to extremes of poverty and wealth rubbing shoulders.

• daverock

Thanks for the feedback. It is the vinyl edition that interests me. Maybe I should get "Reckoning" down from the attic first, to see how the music grabs me these days. I can't say I have played it-or any 1980 acoustic Dead music, for that matter- in many years.

• Angry Jack Straw

Given the enormity of the fire from an outside vantage point, I am shocked at how well the interior remained intact. Very fortunate.

Much like the stories being shared about people's first GD show, my memories of ND were shaped by the experience, not the cathedral itself.

Beautiful, ornate, mythical, etc. Yup. But not what I remember most.

While approaching the bell towers for the first time, I noticed a tourist being swarmed by a half dozen gypsie children. All reaching for his coat pockets in an attempt to pilfer. He scurried off. Their attention then turned to a young woman walking in front of us. "Do you speak English?" I overheard. "Not a word" she replied.

Off they ran in search of the next victim.

• jrf68@hotmail.com

6-20-83 was a favorite that I lost or gave away years ago, and you hooked me up with a copy that I'm sure was from the same source.
    The Bob Star->Other One->Wharf Rat->Sugar Mag(w/ Bobby's Aborigine dream rap) is by far one of my favorites. Of all time. I'm thinkin' there was a lightning strike during Wharf Rat at about the 5:06 mark, at the peak of "I'll get up and fly away.."

Thanks again man... :O)

Jerryweather indeed...

• KeithFan2112

I don't have that one Bobby T, I'll have to put it on my phone. Dick's 25 hasn't grabbed me yet, but I like 30 Trips '78 a lot (5/14).

Last comment on 4/16/72 - just listened to NFA, Pt. 2 (again) on headphones - Bobby and Pigpen trade off the NFA lyrics so damn good at the end there, it'll make yer head spin.

• bob t

I just saw the same thing.. I agree with what you have to say about 1978 also. One show from May that sticks out, just because I had the audience tape is 5/7/78 RPI Fieldhouse.... Start at the close of the first set with Music Never Stopped and listen to the end of second set... Awesome Iko out of Drums.. I am a huge fan of the end of 78 after the Shakedown material is released!! I wish the Red Rocks shows from August were on SB!!! We were totally on the same wave length especially that everyone calls me Bobby T and not Bob t even though that is my sign in!!! Bobby T

• CaseyJanes

Warfield vinyl is awesome dude....do not hesitate. Still available for retail on Amazon as of yesterday as well as the CD. Sound quality is excellent in the vinyl. I have not heard the CD.

• daverock

I must say I am very impressed with the overall presentation and sound quality of the few albums I bought on RSD. Both were delivered today. As advertised, nice and heavy. Pressed on coloured vinyl, they sound much better than the murky originals I got decades ago-one of them is padded out with all sorts of extras-booklets signed cards etc. They seemed expensive-but well worth it now they are here.

I wondered what The Dead's RSD album was like in terms of sound and presentation. Unless I have missed it, there doesn't seem to have been much reporting back on this one.

• KeithFan2112

Bobby T - No sooner do I recommend a 1978 show from April than you recommend one from October. We clearly were typing the posts at the same time, judging by the time stamps . It's also kind of bizarre that I made a point about the April show having both a Scarlet Fire & Estimated Eyes, AND that I basically said that the next worthy shows in 1978 didn't come until they started playing the Shakedown Street material. And your show has a bunch of Shakedown Street material on it. Well it just so happens I have 10-17-78 on my phone and have cranked it up on the drive home. LOOK OUT STAGGER LEE!

Yeah I know the July box set is cool. There's also the show with Dick's Scarlet Fire from 9/2. Dick seem to like that one, or at least he said it was his favorite Scarlet Fire. Recording sounds like s*** so I've never listened to the whole thing.

Ok. Back to Grateful Dead Europe '72, I'm up to Farewell Copenhagen, 4/17. It's sick how much quality listening time I'm getting in now that I brought my headphones to work. Yeah that's me at work sporting the BackBeat Pros. I can't hear them they can't hear me; life is good. Note the dual monitor screensavers in the background; they rotate once a minute, randomly posting pictures from my high resolution Dead cover art folder.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html