• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • stoltzfus

attend 6/18/83 or 6/20/83?

I listened to those on cassette this past weekend as I did UberEats.

those shows are HOT.

I attended 3/27/83, 7/30/83, and 7/31/83. they were cool and all, but they weren't like the two June dates above.

• stoltzfus
    my wife can be a flying buttress at times

but I always forgive her

• MDJim

It looks like they expect the stonework to survive.. including the flying buttresses, which makes rebuilding possible. If we lost the stonework.. it's possible the cost would make reconstruction cost prohibitive in the modern age. It took nearly 200 years to construct the first time around.

With the stonework intact, I believe it can and hope they will be rebuild so others can enjoy for the next thousand years..

"We used to play for silver, now we play for Clive."

I hope Bolo was not involved.. ;D

• stoltzfus

Notre Dame
    much of Europe in WWII

I was lucky enough to visit Notre Dame when I was a lad (we're talking 1973)

everything is temporary

• Vguy72

....went home for lunch and saw it on the news. Truly horrible and sad. I will admit, a lump did form in my throat when I saw the footage.

• stone jack baller

Just ordered a CD from Amazon.

Says shipping is May 17 - June 17

Like the 4/18/70 and 11/18/72 Record Days that then came out on CD???

• Cousins Of The…

I feel for my city!

• MDJim

Flying my Olympia Theatre flag at half mast today. The Notre Dame Cathedral has been devastated by fire tonight.. one of the great architectural monuments ever built.

A sincere, heartfelt moment of silence and sadness to our friends in France and around the world. What a tragedy. So sad..

Hoping humanity can pull together, hoping for a complete restoration / rebuild. Our Lady of Paris, mortally wounded. The world has suffered a tremendous loss.

• KeithFan2112

I'm ahead of schedule on the E72 Tour campaign. It helps tremendously that I've begun bringing my headphones to work. I can crank it all the way up without bothering anyone, and it's (for the most part) an attentive listen (once in awhile I zone out while I'm digging though a database or whatever).

Listening to The Dead In Denmark, 4/16/72. This was the first one I bought, back around this time of the year in 2014. I had recently picked up Sunshine Daydream, which is the event that converted me from casual bus rider to take out a second mortgage to pay for the back-catalog DeadHead. I was looking for something in the ballpark of Veneta (i.e. 1972 Multi-track), and lo and behold - 22 of them from just a few months prior. I bought this one first 4/16 first because it was in the Rolling Stone top 20 list:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/20-essential-grateful-dea…

Donna's absent from this one. I miss her on GSET - she really nails the cool clear water vocal.

Overall this has a great Loser, great China / Rider, oddly no Sugar Magnolia (only show from the tour w/out it), fantastic Truckin' with huge 16 1/2 minute Jam, and basically no Dark Star or Other One (well....we get two short Other One segments, equaling 6 minutes, with Me & My Uncle in between. It's a little bit puzzling how this show was picked by Rolling Stone over so many others from the tour with better set lists and longer shows. But there's nothing wrong with what's here - they're all top shelf performances, which goes for the whole tour.

• seabird17

Not Cool, Warner Bros shut out my record store.
    Just make the music available to everyone.
    All we want is the music, not this bullsh..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html