• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Thanks Oroborous. That one's always bugged me. I thought wow, I thought I did too much partying in my time, but these guys just recycled an album title. And not some obscure live release, but a major studio LP. Psssst guys......you already got one called that....

I can't even fathom an entire museum devoted to the Dead. Actually I could. Sigh.....when I hit the lottery.....

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by unkle sam

There's a good film clip of Abbie Hoffman being interviewed by David Frost on British television, from about 1970. It was a current affairs programme, and Frost had various luminaries from the underground in the interviewing seats. Ed Sanders was another one, I think. It all comes to a halt when Hoffman lights up a joint and invites the audience to leave their seats and join him in the spotlight. A motley collection of British hippies some of whom were writers for the Oz magazine-including Felix Denis and probably Mick Farren - do just that, and chaos momentarily rules. Then it goes off the air. Great stuff.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

45 years old today and over 45 minutes long....my brother bought me this on RSD, unwrapped today and spinning now.....I can tell your future, just look what’s in your hand!

See ya after while,

KCJ

Wait...you say I have to flip it half way through? So it’s interactive and it sounds better? Sign me up!!!

Edit: Last 5:

Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of the Peaceful Army
-this is a fairly new band here in the USA and this was my first listen to them. Lead singers voice reminds me of the late Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon (another phenomenal band). After I listened to this album I went ahead and made an eBay purchase of their most recent RSD release.

WideSpreadPanic -Till the Medicine Takes
Awesome new reissue of this came out the day before the most recent RSD...I stumbled across it at my local store this past weekend.....as LMG would say...it’s Primo!

Robert Johnson-King of the Delta Blues - Vinyl
Watched a recent documentary on the original Crossroads man on Netflix or Prime....inspired me to pick this one up...check it out!

Daves 30 - still loving it!

Europe 72 Vol 14 Amsterdam...still plugging along on the suitcase...trying to keep pace. May 77 and Pacific NW are taking a back seat on the magic carpet.....next year for sure!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Hey when you win the lottery, Jim can stop tunneling and we can build that kiosk so anyone, can get any show they want, when ever they want it! 😉

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Jim’s been working on this for so long...I’d hate to see all of that work go for not....maybe let him keep going and tunnel his way up to the kiosk?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I forgot about Pacific Northwest (6th Show). I once proclaimed, under severe face meltage conditions, that this show might contain one of the best Weather Report Suites ever. I ran it back a couple of days ago and it was still pretty damn good. I'm going with Eyes of the World and Wharf rat at the moment from that show. And U.S. Blues. I love the way Billy makes this song Swing in '74. And if you get one with the guitar turned up loud, it's extra good. One of the ones in this box set has some loud U.S. Blues guitar. Might be this one. Road Trips '74 definitely. It's still a marvel to me that they managed to get 1974 sounding as good as they have for the past several releases. Go Norman.

Oborious, Caseyjanes - oh no - Jim will continue to tunnel. Except he's going to have his own customized John Deere riding tractor drill bit attached to the front of that thing. We won't tell him where the funding came from, so that when he finally breaks through, he'll find us waiting there surprise party style. Then finished, it's going to be adorned with memorabilia and shall serve as the entrance way to the museum. There's going to be gold records and guitars and placards - not to mention all of the Deadnet Board Heads' avitar names and profile pictures; and on opening day, Jim's going to come out like Willy Wonka, wearing that red white and blue Uncle Sam hat that Jerry had on the first album cover . It will be called the JimInMD Honorary Walkway. Jim's Picks will play on overhead speakers 24x7, whether the place is open or not. I envision this to be a very long walk way, so there should probably be at least one bong hit station on the way, or at a minimum, maybe we'll just keep a weed fire burning somewhere, and force the smoke through some tunnel vents every 15 minutes. Stoltzy, 80sFan, and Sixtus will chair the 80s Committee,
Vguy and Icecrmcnkd will oversee the Hall Of Sound, where there's going to be a concert every night of a different Dead show on a state-of-the-art sound system and three dimensional Grateful Dead band up on stage. It'll look so real you'll think you're actually seeing the band . Everyone will be overpaid and underworked. We're going to do this like Disney World, where the walk through the line is an event in itself.......

to do but smile, smile, smile.....well, and win that lottery of course!
KF, Sounds even better than the bands plan!
Thanks guys for making me laugh/smile, had a shit day and really needed that.
EDIT: yeah that 5/21/74 is a real beaut eh! As I posted recently the first 2 74s were, well they weren’t 5/21 right!

Hi Dave interesting story about Hoffman. I like most of us followed him back in the day. More importantly I closely followed Ed Sanders. Big fan of the Fugs. As unpc as they are today they were as important as Lennie Bruce Mort Saul and lord Buckley ( with special shout out to FZ). The point I wish to make is Sanders as much as I disagree with his politics was the real deal. Hoffman on the other hand was a self promoting blowhard who had no real beliefs as his later choices proved. Listen to Tenderness Junction it will be interesting at least and way better rock than their ESP recordings

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

The person who came up with the test must be in their 20's. To much joy of some I'm sure I rarely post because it is so hard to see the images on my phone. Thanks

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I'd rather finish the tunnel then rest our hopes on winning the lottery (or winning in Vegas).

Our odds are better, but we need to act quick.. with the release of the Swing and Jan 70 FE, if we don't finish the digging within the next 18 months there won't be enough great shows left to buy an island big enough to hold and keep us all.

We need a sizable island with ample clean water.. having priced several out.. All we have to do is tunnel another block and a half, under three houses and the big intersection at Warner Blvd (which is causing great distress). It's doable, and I feel we must continue in honor of all those people that were working on the tunnel and who's posts we no longer see... Let's do it for them. #FreeTheReels

I can't get off the last two releases.. I spent the last four days doing mandatory spring landscaping, but on the once every five years detail.. really pulling out the weeks, cutting down all the dead trees, four yards of mulch (and going strong) moving shit, planting much more shit.. and listening to lots of loud GD.. did another run of DaP30, plus another full run of #29. The more I listen to these two, the more I like them. I might be persuaded that the PITB sequence from 29 might just be the best part of the show. Then again it's the last part I listened to.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

Yes, at the end of the day, between about 1966 and 1972 being anti establishment was the fashion. Many people adopted the look, talked the talk and appeared to walk the walk....until something else came along. Not everyone who made psychedelic records took psychedelic drugs. I hold no great claims for authenticity myself-I always had a bridge back to the straight world.

For example, I can remember being busted in the mid 70s for a minuscule amount of hash. There were a few of us in court that day-we had been swept up outside the Glastonbury Festival-this was 1978 before it became what it is now- a bastion of the British entertainment business. Anyway, the man in the dock before me gave a speech about how cannabis should be legalised, and the hypocrisy of British society. I agreed with every word he said. He got sent to prison for two weeks. Gulp. When it was my turn to get up there, I didn't say a word. I got off with a £40.00 fine.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...6/26/73 ‘Seattle Center Arena’ - Seattle, WA
From the box... it’s making me smile smile smile!
Love How Donna sings the song ‘You Ain’t Woman Enough’! Even the crowd gives her a grateful applaud & shout- out!...🙏❤️😎

....Keithfan where do I sign up? I lol'd at the "smoke tunnel" - that's just friggin GENIUS.
Keep on digging, Jimmy.

whoever mentioned trying to keep up with the '72 suitcase....that's me as well. It's a tough climb but someone's gotta do it. I think I am about half way through 5/11 - Rotterdam - and my recollection is that Dark Star is pretty good. Gonna keep chipping away...

Also let's not forget the anniversary today of One Famed 'Dick's Picks 3' from 5/22/77. I absolutely LOVE this one and it blew me out of the water when I first got it (as a VERY surprised twenty-something at Christmas time, my mom pulled a fast one on me and actually got ahead of my own knowledge of releases that year - I had no idea this was even released so it made it that much sweeter). I actually listened to this full show off the archive last week, and it's shame Dick/the GD weren't really doing the full gambit on all shows yet so they chopped this one up a bit. The full show is such a powerhouse but I have zero complaints on the actual release. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) Sugarees they played (I trust someone will contend this!). It turns into a mad-pickn' hoe-down in there. Then all the other awesome stuff that gets rolled up ...LL > Supplication; Disco Dancin', Help>Slip>Franklin's, Estimated>Eyes, Wharf Rat>Terrapin>Dew>Sugar Mag???? I mean, c'mon. The only thing missing is a Scarlet>Fire!

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-22.140278.sbd.miller.flac2496

How long til the Hall of Sound opens? I enjoy the idea of overpaid and underworked.

Sixtus

Elon Musk is also boring tunnels under LA, and the only vehicle that he really plans to send speeding down the tunnel is a Tesla semi truck filled with the reels that he got from the vault. He then plans to load the reels on a Falcon Heavy and send them to Mars where he has already built a Terrapin Station Theme Park. Few earthbound DeadHeads will ever make it to Mars to listen to those reels.
Where’s Zuckfun when you really need his absconding skills?

Why yes, I am a robot.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

This one must have blown your minds when it came out. First release from 1977 right? Donna sounds so good on The Music Never Stopped. I can't think of a song that showcases her voice any better than this. And this particular version is perfect for her parts.

P.S. - I meant to add - when Jim finally pushes through and we're there for the unexpected party, he emerges from his tunnel-boring John Deere tractor like Bill Murray coming off the plane at the end of Stripes - (beautiful girl on his arm; champagne glass in hand, half in the bag, as if there was going to be a celebration whether we were there or not) - " a surprise party??? For me? Whose idea was this, I'll kill ya, everyone's coming back to my place......"

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Someone commented past day or so about Brown-Eyed off Dicks 29. Threw it on, suppose to be 15 minutes according to time indicator. Was only 5.5 minutes with 10 minutes of silence. Never noticed, assume this is the way it was released. Getting ready to edit out the 10 minutes. Any words from the troops about this gap?

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yep, same gap, same edit made.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Thanks

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

After that long gap in Dick's Picks 29, after Estimated on Disc 2 and after Brown Eyed Women on Disc 5, bonus tracks from 10/11/77 should kick in. I remember being confused about that back when it was first released. But, after waiting patiently, all of a sudden more music appeared.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

Ahhh, the sneaky hidden tracks on some of the older Dick's Picks. I recall there was one with like a 30 minute+ Scarlet>Fire.... maybe that was Dicks Picks 13?

...ask myself, and myself (and ye All) shall receive:

https://www.whitegum.com/introjs.htm?/hidden.htm

Dennis and KeithFan....methinks you may need to now go "undo" what you "undid"...ha

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

That's pretty funny that music kicks in after some of these blank spots. Somehow though, I have the October '77 tracks, because I thought I put them officially on Road Trips October '77.

Drive home. I'm thinking I either complete Dick's Picks 3, which by the way close the sound Boards of the missing tracks from that May 22nd show; all right listen to The Dark Star from 5/18/72 one last time and then move on to 5/23/72 AKA Good Evening and Welcome to Here - immortal words from Bob Weir. Heck I don't even need to drive. I could just sit in this parking lot all night, crank up the Dead and not go home to deal with the crisis of the day at home. That sure just worked for Help on the Way and Slipknot!.

Dicks Picks 3 did blow my mind when it came out.. I had to pinch myself. I guess you could say the same when Cornell started circulating.. my how spoiled we have become.

VGuy, that video you shared is incredible. I would have kept the little crystal. :D

Bolo.. I always liked that show, especially the Shakedown Street and Althea.. not sure why.. It could be as simple as this was one of the tapes that circulated pretty freely early on.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I've always liked that one Jim, but I think I need to listen a little more closely, going by your evaluation. In general I've never been into the post hiatus playing in the bands from the 70s. But I like Cow Palace New Year's Eve a whole lot and I like the one from the Orpheum that got released as Dave's Picks 18 a whole lot. In fact that one has so much great piano in it.

I'm going to listen to the Swing version any minute now. And then I'm going to listen to Stoltzy's recommendation on that 1969 show, where you said don't look at the setlist just listen to it. Been meaning to do that. I just need to find the date again...Out walking in the cool air with my headphones, oh yeah bowmp bowmp. I have my brand new January 3rd 1970 t shirt on and I'm listening to Dave's Picks 30. This one isn't growing on me quite like I thought it would, with the exception of disc 3. More listens required. Sometimes you just need to have the bug for a certain year and I don't have the 1970 bug at the moment. I must need to turn it up. When in doubt turn it up.

Just re-listened to the Swing yesterday on headphones doing some landscaping. ..properly mood enhanced. I made it through Playing.. then today picked up from there today on the river through Around and Around, leaving the rest for tomorrow.

It seems to achieve liftoff. When I lose track of place and time because of what I am listening to.. well, that's what I like and the Swing seems to do this in three different places.. PITB>Wheel>PITB, H>S>F and Eyes>Dancin'.

Funny you mention this tonight, it's been since it was snowing that I last listened to it.

Edit: 2/24/68 Viola Lee Blues. Holy Cow!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

:)))

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...Play it Loud! ...

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I haven't seen any reference to this by any European record sellers, which is a bit worrying.

I played my vinyl copy of 2/27/69 yesterday to remind myself if it would be worth paying the asking price for a vinyl reissue of the 28th, should it be released on these shores. My conclusion--definitely! Everything about the earlier release is superb, and the run as a whole must represent the highest music from the highest band from the highest decade of the last century. In fact, unless the next box is from 1969 or 1972, I would be tempted to forego it in preference for the 28th on vinyl. Quality over quantity from now on.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

What a monster of a show.

David Gans was talking about this run at the Fillmore Sunday on Tales From The Golden Road.. as close to a quote as I can remember, "Jerry was playing so loud and aggressively. Raw and feral." Or something very close to that but better stated. I listen to 2/28 more than the other nights, but they are all extraordinary.

I would hop on 2/28 Vinyl if they decided to release it in this format.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

it's too hard to really say what my favorite show is (mostly depends on my mood), but whenever asked, 2/28/69 is usually the first thing out of my mouth...

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Lyceum run off to a good start with some classic Weir'dness. They kick it off with one of the tightest Promised Lands ever. IMHO I think this one, Luxembourg, and Veneta are in a class of their own, with the Spectrum and Berkeley not far off. I once complained to a deadhead that a particular sound board was missing the opening Promised Land. He said so what. I said so what. But I said it like what kind of asshole are you? Well maybe the word in my head was idiot. That's just a little morning dead humor for you all. True story. I guess my point is, I do believe there are some people out there guard this song throw away, and I think it was by the time Mickey rejoined the band. But in the Bill the Drummer days it was a hard rocker with a great distorted opening riff. Music's calling...

PS - thanks for reminding me of that 1969 show date Stolzie.

P.P.S.- ha, I don't recall ever hearing this stage banter before. After Sugaree, Bobby says "you all might want to light a match over there so the fire marshal can see his way around".

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

* Available July 9th - Fillmore West 69’
Grateful Dead - Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA 2/28/69 (5-LP, 180-gram Black Vinyl, $99.98)
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I read the posts every day, and might post more if I had all the insights of you daily posters. I do get a lot of great music ideas to listen to from you so thank you.

80s Fan that is some show you picked! Sunshine Daydream is the one that got me hooked on the Grateful Dead. I would go with that one for me. What surprises me about your pick is that you went with the 28th and not the 27th. To be honest they all sound the same to me. I wish somebody could point out what is better about the 2/27 Dark Star medley. Or is it just familiar since it was the Live Dead pick?

Stoltzfus I listened to 10/24/71 cover to cover and I must first say the sound is great! Highlights for me are the opening Sugar Magnolia, I can't believe they opened with that one, Deal is really really good, China Rider also very good. Dark Star of course, and Saint Stephen, which I noticed doesn't have that section about stretching his bow until it won't stretch no further. I thought that section was on all of the old versions. I knew that they had removed it by the time they brought the song back in 77. Excellent recommendation thanks

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Butch

Never been a throw away in my book. Have always loved it throughout the years. Typically a opener, but I loved seeing it show up in late first sets in the as well. I think the last night of the Spring 77 tour comes to mind in Hartford. Don't forget about this one, and one of my favorite Sugarees!

When is that box announcement coming?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html