• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

When we were our own private club, living in the counterculture. I don't want it mainstream. Shrooms neither. And not just from the "private club" mentality, but no! I don't want a bunch of stoned and tripping people in motor vehicles or teaching my kids when I get some some kids. I don't believe people should go to jail like the oppressive 80s for small amounts of personal use weed, don't get me wrong. There was a certain deterrent to it being illegal, like maybe my cab driver or subway traincar driver don't mind toking up when it's legal. I think it's a bad idea. I'm smoking either way, but I just feel like keep the masses off of it. Or how about a cop who lives where it's legal, and doesn't mind sneaking a toke once a week on shift. Is he going to get paranoid and shoot my ass? Bad idea, keep it among the professionals here.

user picture

Member for

11 years

If you got your email with a tracking number and the tracking shows no information, it is likely you are in my boat. I did receive my DaP 30 today. I also received a response from customer service today, saying that many shipments did not go out until this past Friday.
Most importantly, the tracking on my package is not the tracking number that was in my email. There was a new tracking sticker stuck over the original number. That original number was the correct tracking number, but again, had a new tracking number sticker and scan code stuck over it.
Chances are, if you are getting no tracking info, this may be what is happening, and your copy should show up soon. Peace!

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Argh. Thanks for the heads up. I'll just ignore the art and look the beautiful Spring scenery outside as I remove it from the sleeve. When I get it. I have faith the dead.net

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Vguy72

Fetal nails it vguy some basics encoded with lots of room to be nurtured and grow. The ride that DS took me for while walking the dog was amazing. Looking forward to doing it again in the living room where I can feel it in my chest

Its a strange world where alcohol and (prescription) opiates are mainstream, and cannabis and psychedelics are illegal. Is it more dangerous for a "cop" or anyone else for that matter, to have a toke once a week, or for them to wash down prescription drugs with alcohol?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...if you think that using a substance is bad for other people, you shouldn't use it yourself. If you think a substance is ok for you to use, it should be ok for others to use. Really, each individual should be responsible for making individual decisions about what to use or not to use, and each individual should be held accountable for their behavior, whether intoxicated or not.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Some great comments made about this pick. I like it a lot. it is a little "loose" in places, but these guys were full of energy and new songs. The only thing that gets to me occasionally is the symbols come in real loud. Whoever said this is a great rendition of Pigpen being a great Frontman is right. I like how he egged Bobby on during Lovelight. Maybe that's why Bobby tipped his hat off his head in that video footage from England May 1970 (Long Strange Trip bonus footage). Hilarious.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

...but it sounds to me like they saved it for the next night.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....the wife reminds me to go pick the herbs from our garden. The thyme is ready. I don't believe in coincidences.

I got a shipping notice and a tracking number for the Warfield CD last Friday, but UPS does not currently have a package to go with the tracking number. UPS app says that it will provide more information once the package is received.

Got my DaP30 on Saturday. The shipping notice email I received did not have a tracking number. It said ‘tracking number’ but there was no number. A day or two later I got an email from UPS (I highly recommend getting the UPS app and creating an account, they keep you up to date on all your packages) saying that I had a package coming from WEA D2C Distribution in Indianapolis (not La Vergne). And my DaP30/bonus disc (wrapped together in plastic) was delivered by UPS on a Saturday.

Recall the message on the website about changing warehouses and potential delays.....

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

And I voted, I voted to decriminalize or whatever the hell it is 'shroom possession. I'm probably done with those, having gone to the well maybe one too many times, same as acid. At some point, when you've gleaned all the enlightenment from something it just becomes a recreational indulgence, imo. And for that, I'd rather wash down an opiate with alcohol. Which I don't hardly do ever anymore, either.

Mostly it's just a nice scotch or two, and occasionally a little piece to eat. Just nice not crazy. Along with exercise here in the Mile High City and lots and lots of Dead music.

More power to anyone and whatever they want to do, just be careful and remember to be nice. I just finished reading Mark Fleishman's Studio 54 book. I used to live like that, for awhile. Ah, youth.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

2001 Commerce Parkway to be exact. Or that is what the Packing List says... Warner Music Group... Received a 4 page packing list with instructions. So the La Vergne, TN place is done, they just moved up I 65 a few hundred miles. hope that helps. bob t

....the new warehouse should have been in Lebanon, KS.
Talking drugs. Lol. About time! I still see fractals every now and then. And it's been at least fifteen years since I've last dipped my toe in that pool. It sticks.
To quote Tolkien, "I have been there and back. No regrets."
Ok. I added that last part..... Author's perogative.
When one sees ones mind eye, it is a revelation...............

It’s called old age visuals, nothing to do with puddles.
Could be caused by restricted blood flow in the vessels of the eye due to the bright lights of Vegas.

the last time I found myself in Vegas.
Widespread at The House Of Blues w/ The Dirty Dozen Brass Band.
Ate more than a few stems...wandered around the strip after the show well into "tomorrow".
good times...good times
:O)
edit: holy shit...that was 20 years ago this year. fuck...it's official. Get off my lawn.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

lets keep it to the professionals, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. You are obviously very young and think that you are a professional, that is funny stuff there boy. I agree, it is very hypocritical for you to say that only you or someone like you should use anything. Sounds like something your great leader would say, It's ok for me, but you can't do it. He can steal, lie, cheat, dog hookers, do drugs, but we can't? Last time I checked, this is Amerika and we will do what we want with our own minds and I sure don't need someone to tell me that they can but I can't. I think that all cops should try a toke or a stem, it will do them good. As far as immature young ones, not so much, it just makes them think that they are professionals, lol funny stuff there. Dave's 30, I concur, they should have released the 3rd and gave us parts of the 2nd as filler.
Speaking of shrooms, I just got back from a neat trip back in time, saw Captain Beyond and they blew us all away, well, at least all us music lovers as Bobby Caldwell called us. Mesmorization eclipse for sure.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Have yinz heard this dude? An amazing blues guitar slinger who somehow escaped my attention until just recently. He hung himself in a jail cell after being arrested for public intoxication. Tragic.

Looks like Denver voted down the shrooms initiative. Maybe the squares just aren't ready for that yet.

Gonna see Lettuce at Bell's Beer Garden in Kalamazoo. First of many summer concert excursions I hope :)

I gave the 1-2 a good listen at work the other day. Overall its terrific, good sound. Dark Star was hard to get into, with the caveat that I was at work, which I often find to be the case with Dark Stars. Those really need the *cough cough* proper environment. St Stephen / The Eleven though is incredible, maybe one of the best versions I can think of. I see that some folks are saying that 1-3 is even better, we shall see.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Roguedeadguy

I don't think 2018 data is out there yet.. but in 2017 there were 1,632,921 marijuana arrests in the US, over 85% were for possession only (not sales or manufacturing, etc.).

Of the 1.6M arrests, we can surmise this had a major affect on many and probably changed the course of many lives probably not for the better.

Pot arrests affected more than a few of my inner circle and I saw it stymie career prospects for several very close friends. It had a lasting effect, some of them clearly had less productive lives and several were ultimately jailed for marijuana related offenses (and one LSD incarceration). One of my close friends and a college roommate at one point got a one year sentence on a first offense because he was caught watering three outdoor plants in the woods in a pretty remote area near where he lived. They tend to be tougher in rural, more conservative areas and he was a city boy from DC, so they locked him up. Bet that was a hard call to mom and dad.

Keeping it illegal did/does irreparable harm to otherwise decent people. Then there is the impact on prisons, the black markets and cartels/criminal organizations. We have hundreds of thousands dead in Mexico alone over the last 30 years. Many countries in Central and South America have been destabilized by narco-fueled corruption and its influence on politics and policing. There are entire geographical areas that are dominated by drug fueled gang warfare and are basically lawless, a situation I would argue would be better if drugs were not so profitable. The Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre estimates that at least 432,000 people from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras have been displaced from their homes as of 2017 because of drug related gang activity. Many end up leaving their home countries and wind up as refugees elsewhere (many in the US and Canada, but also neighboring countries). I realize most of this is because of Cocaine, but these crime organizations started with Pot.

This issue is complex and nuanced, but FDR making pot illegal in 1937 has done little good and tremendous harm. It's possible that no matter what policies and laws are created to deal with this issue, there will be some harm as a result, but keeping it illegal and doubling down with harsh penalties was perhaps the worst thing we could have done.

My two cents.. but I don't think society is helped by putting people in jail.

Now back to our regularly scheduled drums and space.

Oh.. and Roy Buchanan has come up multiple times on these threads over the years.. I think HendrixFreak brought him up somewhat recently??? not sure. Influenced many including Jerry Garcia.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

And I don't even smoke pot or anything. . .. I remember Gore Vidal speaking of "The Sound of Fools Rushing In!" To be 'busted' for watering a couple of pot plants in the woods!?!? God help us.

I've read interview(s) with Jerry mentioning Roy B as an inspiration. Move me brightly?

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Nice take Jim...couldnt have said it better myself, but glad I didn’t have to type all that 😊.....shame that Colorado didn’t get it done with the shrooms, but it was a very close vote and a deeper connection with the universe tells me that this won’t be the last of it. My guess is that it will be back on the ballot next year in some form...Let’s hope so!

Roy Buchanan is phenomenal...inspired me with my most recent guitar purchase which is kind of a reliced Tele custom. Has not arrive yet but Will try to post a pic once it does. Hendrix Freak is no doubt our resident Buchanan expert. Have not seen him around here lately, but he wrote a bio about Roy which I have not read, but here is the Amazon link if you are interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Roy-Buchanan-American-Phil-Carson/dp/0879306394

He also wrote the liner notes to the 2018 vinyl release, Roy Buchanan: Live at Town Hall....I own that vinyl which is very good, and I have also read the liner notes which was a good read and educational about Roy and tell of some of the live shows that Hendrix Freak attended.

Gave my first full listen through Daves 30 last night. Love Pigpen throughout this one. As others have already said, he truly shines here! I also love T.C.s additions to the mix. Not sure I can say it’s my favorite Daves as earlier stated while very buzzed on Saturday night, but I don’t think that I could do that with any of the DaP so far. I do think it is pushing its way into the top 5 for me.

The Schwag are live in KC this Saturday night. They are always Grate....speaking of shrooms, oh yes!

Rock On Dead People!

KCJ

I got a bad tracking number as well. Customer noservice emailed back saying the warehouse stated mine would ship out asap and to follow my order status at the site. 48 hours later and no updated info on shipping or tracking. Nothing.

Update: just got a new email from customer noservice. Says my order shipped on 5/2 and I should allow 7-10 business days for it to arrive. Tracking number still doesn't work. So I go from bad tracking number, to "it will ship asap" , to it shipped over a week ago just wait. Smells like a runaround. I don't mind waiting at all but I'd like a working tracking number.

user picture

Member for

9 years

Thanks for the information, I have been expecting this. Glad it is getting made. 38 disks will have to see what the price is.

ETA
$800 for 38 disks and 36 hours of music seems awfully steep.

Hopefully they will release the sets individually

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

All of the vocalists on the bonus disk were heavily weighted to the right side of my headphones. Pretty unusual experience for these releases. Did anyone else have this issue so that it is how it was laid down on the original recordings or should I look to my ripping/disks as the problem?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I, too, had a concern about tracking, and then #19377 showed up yesterday. Moral of the story: Take a deep breath 'cause it's coming.
Thanks lovemygirl for the Woodstock heads up. I'm in for the 10 cd audio only (about $175 with shipping and tax).
The complete box set is overkill for me, as I already have an original concert poster, director's cut dvd, Woodstock and Woodstock II LPs, and a 90 minute cassette of the GD and all the delays and ramblings (Jellystone Park etc.).
Resellers and uber completists will like it, though.
I had the privilege, as an 11 year old, to see the movie "Woodstock" in 1970 and, needless to say, that experience "opened my eyes".

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I have only gotten through disc 1, plan on the rest tonight, though the Milwaukee Bucks game is calling me (lifetime fan here), so it may have to wait. I received my lowest number yet-- #864. Not that it makes any difference... I like the tunes so far-- nice UJB and High Time (TC's contributions to High Time are immense).

So, better than any other release, this show's liner notes put in perspective the Early and Late show phenomenon of Bill Graham's venues. Which makes me think that folks who saw the Grateful Dead at Bill's venues in the late 60s and early 70s (Fillmore Auditorium, Fillmore West, Fillmore East and Winterland) were getting a vastly different experience than those seeing them in other parts of the country.

And I will say this in a rough way, but don't mean to disparage Mr. Graham because I have great respect for his work and what he did for the music industry in his lifetime. But, folks who saw the Dead at his venues during this time frame got screwed. While folks at other venues across the country were likely paying one admission price to see two sets of Good Old Grateful Dead, at Bill Graham's haunts, one had to pay for an early show or a late show-- to see both sets they had to buy two tickets. For the 1/2/70 show, the folks who only saw the early show got about one hour of music with only one serious jam in The Other One. The late show was clearly where it was at.

Maybe some folks who were seeing the boys in this time period can share stories about this. I didn't see a show until 1988, born in 1970-- it was a different world by my time. If you saw them at the one of the Fillmore venues, did you buy tickets to early and late to see both sets? If you saw them elsewhere, was it one admission for two sets or did they follow Graham's format, too?

This has me very intrigued. Based upon this release, I am not certain I would have become a DeadHead if my first show was the early show on 1/2. While I like it fine, I know there is more music to follow-- at least 90 minutes. But if that was the entire show, not sure I would go back often. My reaction might have been, "That's it?" In two years, three hours is the norm for a GD show-- no late or early show.

I also wonder how the band felt about it-- might have to re-read Phil and/or Bill's books to see if they touch on it. Bill Graham is making out nicely here with two sets of house tickets sold for the same amount of music as other venues got for one house. Did the band get two cuts from Bill for two sets to two separate audiences? Or did they get paid a percentage of the house regardless of where they played, in which case they came out all right too. Just curious about this after receiving this set.

Yes, he was an incredible guitarist. He cropped up on here when we were talking about those Rockpalast shows. When I think of him, I always go on to consider Danny Gatton-another phenomenal telecaster player. He was more rockabilly/jazz than Roy, but, man, he could play. I think he was in a band with Jack Cassady in the early 1960s, although I don't think they recorded together. Tragically, like Roy, he also died by hanging himself.

There's something about a telecaster that inspires truly spectacular playing. Hope you manage to get a picture of your tele custom on here KCJ. My most played electric guitars are the three pickup James Burton and the Japanese made pink paisley tele. You could crack glass with the tone on that one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

DaveRock...the guitar I am building is not exactly a Tele, but is very similar. It has a Tele body, but a custom neck. I went with 5A Birdseye Maple which will be roasted at high temperatures for enhanced playability and tone. I wanted a reliced guitar without the fender custom shop price tag. My guitar instructor here in KC recommended a company called MJT out of Carthage, MO. Very small town about 2 hours south of here. I had never heard of them, but they have hundreds of Grate reviews, and ship guitars all over the world. Their specialty is aged finishing. Check em out http://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/ I ordered one about 5 weeks ago, and takes approximately 14 weeks. I went with a faded/yellowed Taos Turquoise over vintage Sunburst, with some checking and med-heavy wear....... Can't wait!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

I think it's on 10/30/70

Jerry says something like this to a fan complaining about the short early show: "yeah, it's a bummer, but its the first show....how long do we have to do this?"

in essence, Jerry didn't like the early/late split, either.

I would have bought a ticket for each, regardless.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I had some free time this morning and the weather was great.. so I took in a nice bike ride and finished my first listen.

I have to say.. this Dark Star is fantastic. So moody and emotive. Disc three is a stunner and for me, moves this one into the top shelf of keeper shows.

I, too, noticed the vocals are panned to one side. Not sure if it's left or right because I used headphones and I have no idea if I had them on the right ear or not. I did notice during I think Masons?? perhaps Dark Star?? mid song Bear moved Jerry's voice to center for a bit and then moved it back at some point. I think it was Mason's because he did the same thing on both versions.. but I could be wrong, I need to re-listen.

Also, I really get a kick out of the embryonic versions of the new songs. So rough and Jerry's tone on some of them gives it a grungy quality. Raw and unpolished. I get and agree with some of the criticism these tunes get, but for me it is an added bonus. I especially like the early versions of China > Rider. Knowing where this duo winds up only adds to the excitement of hearing them work through the changes and transitions on these early versions.

That's my take. A top shelf release, warts and all.. and that Dark Star, Special!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

But this way you got to exit the venue during ‘intermission’ and restock your supplies if needed.

Maybe both shows combined equaled the ticket price of a 2-set show.
But hey, it’s NY and SF, they’re used to being charged more for everything.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

It makes sense; take for example 1/2/70, there's three bands on the bill, the Dead, Lighthouse and Coldblood. It wasn't just a GD show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Dave's 30 keeps the streak alive...... but i have to say, I really really like Disc 2... It's because of the "filler" songs from the end of 1/3/70.... the last 3 songs, Dancing in the Street, St. Stephen>In The Midnight Hour are just so good..... And so are the Morning Dew and Big Boss Man.... "filler" is a joke by the way.... those 5 songs from 1/3/70 on disc 2 are smoking hot.... So you listen to those 5 songs and then head to Disc 3 !!! It is like two Disc 3's in one CD!!!! and Disc 1 is awesome also... Bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Am I the only person who still has yet to receive this? Got an email last week with a tracking number that as of a few minutes ago still goes nowhere. I guess I'll just search for some links to download this, I'd rather wait for the discs to arrive, but I'm really eager to hear this.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

E72 anniversaries, May 1977 box set anniversaries, Bonus Disc edition of Dave's Picks. I can't keep up. I have about 3.5 DaP 30 listens under my belt, so I'm visiting Cornell on this illustrious occasion.

I use Poweramp on my phone to play WAV rips of my Dead collection through my surround system via HDMI input. Poweramp has a "stereo expander" dial that does a fantastic job optimizing the sound on the two track recordings. I don't use as much on the multi-tracks, because it creates Reverb on the vocals. Anyway, it seems to move the vocals more towards the center on Dave's Picks 30. Scarlet / Fire just started, I'm outta here.

P.S. - the thing I dislike about Cornell is Keith's synth-organ sound. It sounds like he uses it off and on up to around the original May 77 box set, so 5/11. I much prefer the piano and electric piano he used. Sorry Keith. I'm sure you were just being a team player.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

KCJ-I have just had a look on the website, and they do look great. I liked the taos turquoise finish, although I couldn't see a picture of one described as faded yellow too. Its never occurred to me to have one specifically built in this way, to my own specifications. You will obviously have a choice of pickups, too. Excellent!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

In reply to by hailboognish

Tracking shows delivery is scheduled for tomorrow 'by end of day'. An earlier post stated some orders didn't leave the warehouse until last Friday. It was posted on this site 'there might be some delays due to the warehouse being moved'. I would say this is that delay…all is good, I have faith...

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

The new Dave's picks has not tickled my fancy just yet, but I am only halfway through disc 2. My personal benchmark for this period is Dave's 10. I think the set lists and execution of that one, when you include the bonus disc is nearly perfect. The only weak spot IMHO is the chorus vocals on Cold Rain and Snow (but I teach music and lead chorus, so I'm a little sensitive to it).

My Bonus Disc also says "Cosmic Keithfan", but not the disc one version. Keithfan - I remember you rallied everyone to petition for the release of RFK 73 so that you could pass on the large number of requests to Dave Lemeiux. You know him? Did he do the Cosmic Keithfan thing for you?

One more thing that I won't let go. I was welcomed to this site quite rudely for expressing an opinion a couple years back. Opinions that are expressed without animosity and personal attacks to other message board members are always welcome in a public forum. Attacking that kind of opinion with animosity and hate is unacceptable and bullyish. Uncle Sam, you owe an apology. Beyond that, you hurt the Dem cause when you attack people in the exact same irresponsible way that the person you refer to as "your boy" does.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Holy Shit, I almost forgot! My parents first anniversary...7 months after their first born! They weren’t Dead Heads but they were producers...LOL!

RIP Mama....at least you tried!

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

HendrixFreak literally wrote the book on this guy! That's awesome. And there's a nice new live vinyl set of him. That's awesomer.

According to the Institute of Ridiculous Made-Up Statistics, Dark Star's are an average of 67.83% better when you listen to them at home alone than at work sober.

I love how Disc 3 is like a standalone set, almost. They startup Dark Star cold, after all that tuning and malfunctioning, and never stop until the end of Lovelight.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

But I would not accept an apology from that degenerate loser. My post was whimsical in nature, not a political statement. Kind of like when people refer to New Year's Eve is amateur night and they stay in their houses and off the roads. His reaction though only solidifies the fact that he's got a chip on his shoulder towards people who disagree with his point of view. It's a pattern with this man, as is the condescending tone he addresses his perceived enemies with. The irony is that he sounds just like President Trump, who he was trying to align me with. I think there's a pretty fair chance that I have done more political activism against Republicans than lazy bones Sam, who probably doesn't do much more than pick fights with people on internet blogs.

Nope, haven't been caught yet :-)

Jim, sorry to hear about your inner circle buddies. It is because of my inner circle buddies that I pointed out that I would never want oppressive arrest and jail laws like the 80s imposed. I know plenty of people and I've experienced plenty myself to know the trappings that go along with it all.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html