• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

In an earlier post you said you had gone blind ( |9/8/2019| "Asince ive lost my sight , my other senses are on overdrive!"), and in your most recent post you said you have seen the newest Dave's Picks 32 concept art, ( | 09/21/2019 | "I have been fortunate enough to view an art proof /concept for the cover forDaves Pick #32It’s my favorite cover for the series for this past years My favorite was Daves Pick #31 until I saw this proof sheet" "The art proof I sawhad no date or concert venue..."). I'm not trying to be the bad guy here but i've been hearing these contradicting quotes from you and am not sure what to make of it. I have a relative that is blind and it just rubs me the wrong way when I suspect people might be faking blindness for whatever reason.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

A Good morning to all my brothers & sister still awake from the night before or just waking up around this hour.While I’m being treated going on my second week for another round of treatments, tests,and several operations since day one , I realize now thats causing the confusion in between my tecemts posts.what I haven’t been doing is and that is I’m not keeping everyone(members) on this board up to date. I’ve only been communicating with only a handful of close friends here on the Dead site, and I apologize for any confusion. I just didn’t think it would be appreciate to. Keep filling up the pages posts up on my daily treatment for my cancer. I have a tumor in my brain the size of a golf ball,2-3cm big, which is very large and it wasn’t there a year ago when the doctors took scanned of my brain. And the tumor is pressing against my skull and brain effecting my optyic neve things all big science talk I’m not really educated enough to explain everything what’s happening in only laymen’s terms if you get my grift. I had surgery to drain the pression in my skull brain. I had a spinal tap on last Friday as well, which also causes the brain to swell while they drain the fluid from my spinal fluid which the doctor places the needle into what look like little sacks rrunning thru your spinal cord. Because I’ve had mutitable back surgeries / I have two 8” rods in my back with a cage. Screws. And fusion as well over 12”. Since the. First round of draining has effected improvement in my vision, I’m not completely blind as of right now. But according to the doctors, (I have a team of doctors All working together to improve my quality way of life) My vision is still considered “legally blind” but I can see a little and my perspective is off. I’m an artist and I just now been doing art therapy while being in treatment. One day at a time for me right now and I’m really just so grateful to be alive, words can’t express my graditude enough! I have three young children I’m raising, I have a whole life that has been recently turned upside down. Last week they also told be they found another tumor on one of my glands above your Brest bone and inbetween York’s chin and throat the size of a grape tomato that wasn’t there a year ago as well so I’m prepping for surgery to have the tumor and gland removed. The doctors assure me I can live and survive with out the gland which actually works and operate your immune system , almost like MS - multiple scoliosis . IV been screened for that with the spinal tap and also the doctors will scfteen my spinal fluid to see or find any infection within my brain. The tumor is on my right side of the brain , almost in the middle of my brain but it lays in the canal Kravis Which is the area of the brain where it splits into two. Excuse my writing I’m talking into my phone. So , I hope that helps with the confusion. Why would someone fake being blind is beyond me but there are a lot of coo birds out there your right about their. Me, I’m just an old Deadhead starting in the 70s... have a grateful day everyone god bless and rocknon! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹🙏💀🌹

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Having been told yesterday it was coming Mr DHL knocked this morning with my 31 🍾🍾 note to rhino - dump UPS and stick with DHL
Had the scarlet on in the car on the way to work and it’s splendiferous .
RIP Robert - may those four winds blow you safely home .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

What number did you get? I'm glad the problems are getting resolved and I hope everyone will have their sets soon.

Have a grateful day everybody! :-)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Sorry, but I'm not happy at all about how the UPS Customs Issue was handled. I'm in Scotland, UK and Emailed Dr. Rhino several times (including pics of the customs label etc). I received no reply, other than a standard ”we will respond in 5 working days”. But no response at all received. My local delivery agent returned the CDs to the USA because I wouldn't pay the $70+ charge. I also received a demand in the mail from UPS. I received no advice or guidance as to what to do, or what recourse or remedy is open to me! I'm out-of-pocket & I have no #31 to listen to. We who live overseas already pay ’over-the-score’ for product & shipping - and it's particularly exorbitant in the UK currently due to exchange-rate issues. This episode has left a sour taste - but what's worse is how, as an overseas subscriber, I was totally ignored. Shame on Rhino, in my case, for appalling customer-service...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

So now that the debacle of the #31 shippping has apparently been sorted out and the Giants box is out, when will we know what #32 will be? I'm sure David is itching to film a seaside chat soon! I don't recall how the timing of the announcements typically goes, but I presume we hear sometime in early Nov? Anybody want to make some guesses?

It doesn't look as though the debacle surrounding delivery of 31 has been resolved, looking at recent posts. Maybe the next time we have a seaside chat these issues will be addressed, with an explanation as to how they have been resolved.

As I’ve said before I don’t expect to see the box for a while yet. But, out of interest, has anyone in Europe had notice of the box being shipped?
As for DaP32 I look forward to it whatever year it is from.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

So anyone notice that Phil plays a repeated 2 note section in the Playing jam that references A Love Supreme? Starts around minute 8 and continues for ca. 1/2 minute. Friend called my attention to it awhile ago.

Love this release. Whole show excellent. Jack-a-Roe is flat out fantastic, a favorite version (along with a couple from '77.) The Usbourne matrix on archive is real sweet if you find the SB a tad dry.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

At this moment the shipping status of my order for the box to the Netherlands is "Not shipped". The order is "processing ". Or not...

Checked over my emails from last year and it seemed around 10/12 the 4th daves was available for pre order. Hopefully that’s the same! Happy Listening to all

I'm in San Francisco bay area, and my order has also been stuck in "processing" for a while...no idea what's going on with their distribution.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

No Giants Box in the Netherlands

A credit invoice of $ 81,88 for DaP 31, so that seems settled.

Looking forward to Giants Box ad DaP 31 delivery without a hassle...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I ordered a couple of those Halloween t-shirts a couple of weeks ago and then had to cancel the order, no response except the standard 3 to 5 days reply, still no response, so I disputed the charge on my credit card. They are suppose to ship the 11th of this month. It would serve them right if they shipped the shirts, then I got a credit for the shirts, dead justice if I ever heard it. Oh well, rhino, so sad.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

But just briefly. Two quick observations:
First, WHAT the hell happened to this board??? It seems this board is now dominated by customer service and international shipping gripes. Not sure how we got there - maybe the new format that makes it harder to post ( I think) therefore people only comment if they're frustrated enough for the multi click login. And whatever dialogue there is then gets turned into interpersonal questioning of motives (ie: the questioning the guy as to whether or not he's ACTUALLY blind - really?.... its not like you're fully sighted one day and totally blind the next - I've had some exposure to this through friends).
Second, I was tooling around eBay the other day and noticed that DaP1-DaP8 generally sell for well over $100-250. With a few highball "Buy it Now"s set at $200-400, yet the shows form the past 2 years tend to sell used under the $30 original price. There's dozens of each advertised as "buy it now" for $100, but the live auctions indicate they'll sell for less than $30. So they jumped from 12k/yr to 20k/year but the incremental demand seems to be driven by resale spec.... it seems the bloom is off the rose for the resale market. The scalpers buy 'em all up, but there's so many on eBay now they'll have to wait forever to get any return on them. I'm sure they're recognizing this. Would be nice if the actual heads got 'em and not the scalpers, as with tickets.
Sorry if that's 2 kinda negative comments, but there's not much other dialogue to chime in on.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

What do we got? Fa72?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Thin

Before you go...if there is no dialogue here that interest you, why not start one that does? The more people stay away, the narrower it is likely to become.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

.... hello again my brothers & sisters , hope to find everyone is well and safe on this dreary day in October here in the north country...
Been enjoying the Giants box set for the last few weeks. I’m very grateful for this release and I believe the good ol’ dead delivers on this primo 2019 Giants Boxset. The audio is A+++ thru out the complete set...., Notheni gs perfect but this is pretty close for my taste in Grateful Dead primo Audio Quality !
I believe the three different eras represented in this box makes it very universally welcomed from all dead kinds of different and respected fans ...also the art crew involved did a beautiful job, the whole team. Grateful for that too.
Daves pick #32,Nov. 1st...“something new, something blue...”. “ , a greatful Closing for the 2019 Daves Pick series.... 🙏❤️😎
....Speaking Of Blind Men, anyone a fan of the three blind boys from Alabama ?! Love it!
https://youtu.be/B0EN_Hmq534
Listening to Daves Pick #2 to prepair my hearing for the next Daves Pick announcement coming purty soon if I remember correctly ...
Have a grateful day folks! Peace be with you all, Rock On! 😎✌️

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

THIN

If heads want the DaP releases the easiest way to try to get them (delivery willing) is to pre-order the years releases. If they can’t do that then they need to keep an eye on dead.net and order the ones they want as soon as they are released.

If my complaints about delivery problems upset you in some way then I ask your forgiveness. However, your upset is likely to be less than that felt by those of us who were being asked to pay ridiculously high delivery charges.

I would love to join in on the discussions about the quality of the Giants box set but since it hasn’t arrived yet any comments I might make will have to wait.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Dave's 32nd is Philly Spectrum 3/24/73 and ends with He's Gone> Truckin'> Spanish Jam> Dark Star> Sing Me Back Home> Sugar Magnolia!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Much like Mister Charlie, we've got a little warning for ya. Tie a ribbon around your finger because DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 will be up for pre-order on Tuesday, October 22nd at 10AM PT and it will sell out.
Please note that a very limited quantity of DAVE'S PICKS: VOLUME 32 will be available. Orders are limited to 2 copies.

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
Bertha
Beat It On Down
Don't Ease Me In
The Race Is On
Cumberland Blues
Box Of Rain
Row Jimmy
Jack Straw
They Love Each Other
Mexicali Blues
Tennessee Jed
Looks Like Rain
Wave That Flag
El Paso
Here Comes Sunshine
Me and Bobby McGee
Loser
Playing In The Band
(set break)
tuning
Promised Land
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Big River
Stella Blue
Me and My Uncle
He's Gone
Truckin'
Dark Star
Sing Me Back Home
Sugar Magnolia
Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Source

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
BRING IT ON
PLAY DEAD

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hello Marye
Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html