• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yeesh, well Jim, now there really could be Hippies on your damn lawn!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

04/21/69- The Ark - Boston, MA
04/22/69- The Ark - Boston, MA
04/23/69- The Ark - Boston, MA
05/01/77- The Palladium - New York City, NY
05/03/77- The Palladium - New York City, NY
05/04/77- The Palladium - New York City, NY
10/18/89- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
10/19/89- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
10/20/89- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
06/16/91- Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
06/17/91- Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

First time posting on here!
I’d love to hear how everybody is listening to their daves picks, etc. Speakers, amps, CD players, whatever it may be!
Have a good night

....ha! Everyone realizes that the anny is three weeks away, don't they? And no definite lineup? Such a missed opportunity.
I like fourwindsblow's box.
Hello TIMC722. I listen on Onkyo and Sony thingamabobbers.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

… The capacity of Merriweather is maxed out at 32k. We could fit that many people in Max Yasgur's barn. :D

Still I hope they pull it off. I thought Santana was playing? Oh well.. probably is a missed opportunity.

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

I think you are on to something with this Boxset idea of yours....ummmm. Still trying to figure the significance of the the years. We have 50...We have 32....You have 30 year Anniversary and then last but not least 28 years. I guess I am getting tired of WAITING for this announcement . So I am trying to have a little fun with your idea.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

But I digress.

Bobby T, that's July 25th Chicago show with my guest pick for this Daves picks 31. The last '74 Death Star. Dark Star. Unless you can on June 23rd 74, but that was a partial release on so many roads. I forgot to listen to that today I'll have to turn it up when I get home.

TimC722 - my favorite topic almost. I have my whole Library loaded onto my cell phone, Samsung Note 8 with a 250GB Sandisk memory card. This fits everything from 66 through 78 and then some. And then there's the soundboards. I ripped the 320 kbps mp3s, because they may as well be lossless as far as our ears can tell.

I drive almost 3 hours a day so a lot of my listening is going through my Bose car speakers, via Hi Res Bluetooth. I say hi res because that is the setting I turn my power amp app to, and it's a fuck ton better sounding then just sticking a CD in the CD player in my car.

My next most common mode is to use the same phone and the same Bluetooth connection, only going to my Plantronics BackBeat Pro headphones. My wife asked me for years if I wanted expensive headphones I said no these $50 earbuds are all I need. She brought me the Plantronics BackBeat Pro a couple of years ago and now my family verily hears from me. It's like we've developed a new sign language for communication while I have my headphones on. I say this all the time on here - you're missing something if you're not trying to get at least one quality listen of each show on a good pair of headphones. I don't even think these Plantronics or that expensive.

Third mode is CD through Blu-ray player through Sony surround sound system with bookshelf Bose speakers. Pretty damn good sound, but I could do better in this area with a bigger room, bigger speakers, and fewer people asking me to turn it down.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

Morning Dew
Mama Tried->
High Time->
Casey Jones
Dark Star->
St. Stephen->
The Eleven->
Lovelight

user picture

Member for

7 years

Good one. Max yasgur's barn. They voted it down because today's youth have no respect for anything. Plus come on. You can not repeat history. Can you imagine the dolts trying to hippie it up while paying 15 dollars for a water? Sorry, that's my sad opinion.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

If they'd had an anniversary for that, maybe they would have had to have one for Altamont too, which followed on as surely and quickly as night follows day.

I am not a robot done in two goes-I'm getting better at it!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

can you blame anyone for not wanting this "in their backyard'? especially after what happened in 99 for the thirty year anniversary of the festival? Santana is scheduled to play in New York on the anniversary of the festival, gonna be pretty hard for him to reschedule his entire tour to accommodate the change in venue. I was at the 94' 25th anniversary show and it was a gas, the last year of the really good blotter. The Band's set with guest musician our own Bob Weir and The nine inch nails set was also very good, but muddy :) and of course, who will ever forget the Red Hot Chili Peters and Peter Gabriel's set, wow, what an ending. In 99 the punks tried to burn the place to the ground, talk about no respect. It will not be the same with out the mass of people so if they do pull it off, it will be a pale comparison to the original or the 94' show. Can you imagine 300,000 cell phones all going off at the same time, lol...technology, what a concept.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I usually love the banter but let's try and avoid the youth have no respect BS, I know A LOT of young folk that are amazing stand up people. Also who was alive to make the future what it is and making the decisions that led us here? It wasn't the people who weren't born yet! And let's be honest too many people over 35 from the last century, have not been the greatest role models otherwise they would have raised the kids right...I mean look at the grade schooler who made it into office.

Also check this out EROWID article about LSD "quality."

https://erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article2.shtml

Take it for what you want, believe the source or not and feel however you want to, but acid is acid is acid. And I have gobbled up some mighty fine starlight with gels in the 90s, white on white blotter and some patterned, but the patterns is how they know where it came from and where it's gone (2000s), and then straight liquid (2010s), ya just gotta have the right family and friends I guess, keep on it, its OUT there.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Like several others I’m being charged more than 73 GBP to get my DaP 31 delivered. I ordered the subscription this year just like each previous year paying for international delivery. If it is now going to cost three times the cost of the product to get a 3 CD set delivered then my Grateful Dead journey is going to end.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

wassa mattah you
hey
got no respect

kids are kids are kids
regardless of time period

testing the limits, etc.

MOFO, I AM NOT A &@$**@!#^ ROBOT. for the MILLIONTH TIME.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I have all my music ripped to iTunes with ALAC (lossless). When I listen to my iPhone it's either on Audeze EL-8 open w/ lightning cable at home, Audeze iSine20 w/ lightning cable at work, or Apple supplied earbuds when mowing the lawn. On the go either cd-r copy in car cd player, blutooth to Bose Mini or hardwired to bose acoustic wave.

I have my entire house stream capable over Sonos to either Sonos or Mirage speakers. My stereo systems that have the Mirage speakers are powered by Parasound New Classic amps.

For analog, I have a Nakamichi 582 that collects dust and a U-Turn turntable. Both of these connect to my old NAD 7130 Receiver along with a Sony CD changer but I have preamp outs going to a 70w Parasound NC Amp.

My AV system is all Parasound with 250w running main speakers with a oppo DVD player. The other TV also has Parasound surround but only 125W/ch but has a POC Sony BluRay player that does not play BluRay.

My PC has 20 year old Cambridge SoundWorks little system.

As for blaming today's youth vs when we were youths, Highgate 1995 dispels that myth. One of the worst shows I ever attended musically and spiritually from any genre. Gate crashers, ugly scene, Jerry was a shell of the man I had seen before. I thought that would be the last time we'd see him. The best lyric that sums up that weekend was "One Way or Another, This Darkness Has To Give".

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I have to think this was just a big fat mistake, something has gone awry. I would be diligent and work with Rhino and see if a solution is in sight. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

I don't think the dissing on youth was too far over the top.. but I am not one to like negativity in general so I see your point.

As for Woodstock 50, I have heard from a close source that Dylan is going to join last minute and save the whole thing. He has even written a new song to symbolize the event.

"I ain't gonna play on Yasgur's farm no more"
Lyrics to follow.
:D

It's Friday where I sit.. There is a mighty fine day in the making. I just got my shipping notice, so there is that. Got my first listen to Garcia 11, so there is that. I am working half the day and getting out the other half, so there is that.

I am definitely going to play some GD. I have high hopes.

Be good all, enjoy your weekend and stay away from the brown acid!

oh.. btw, great article Direwulf. A most enjoyable read.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I was thinking about this exact same thing the other day. Similar to the PNW box but a much broader time range starting with the ark run and ending with MUATM run.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I personally would love to have the 300,000 hippies in my backyard....it would be a nice visual improvement to my neighbors above ground pool. All joking aside, the bastards built this thing and then a deck to go around it almost to my property line here in KC suburbia. Being the kind neighbor that I am, I did not report them to the city, but I had to build a Trump Wall (10 foot cedar privacy fence) so that I don't have to look at them every time I walk out my backyard.

The hippies would surely want magic carpet rides if they were here......especially with a certain Dave's release and box set announcement due to hit the streets any moment now....this could pose logistical problems.

Would also have to improve the overall sound system and PA or there would likely be a riot. Currently I am listening mostly from my phone and/or computer which I plug into my Pioneer receiver/amplifier via RCA cables. The speakers are SVS book shelves which were a nice improvement over the Bose 301 speakers that I was using.

My turntable is a Planar One which is Planar's lowest end turntable, but sounds amazing. The dude at the store says that the sound would be noticeably better if I updated the cartridge which would I think would cost $100 -$200, or much more, depending on the version of the upgrade. Vinyl is my preferred method of listening if the music is available on vinyI and if convenient, ie not traveling).

I have mentioned, I do not have a CD player other than in my car, so I am probably missing out on some sound quality listening to GD music (Dave's picks and boxsets) as digital downloads from the CD's as opposed to the CD's themselves. My personal opinion is that if you buy the CD (at least for box sets where a download is offered), you should receive access to the higher quality FLAC/ALAC download in order to receive the highest quality fidelity. As it stands now if you want the highest fidelity, and you want the boxset packaging along with liner notes for your collection, then you have to buy both. Regardless, I should probably buy a CD player with a high quality dac, and I think the sound would be better.

I also have a surround sound system which is connected to my TV and a Blu Ray player, plus very standard audio-technica turntable. Sound is good, but not as good as my main system as the speakers are smaller, I do have a sub on this system which makes the bass punchier, and I have thought about purchasing a SVS sub on my main system. I do not like listening to CD music through the blue ray. Just doesn't sound as good to me and the interface is always clunky.

I do agree with KeithFan in that one should listen to each release through a set of decent headphones if you have them available. The sound stage is definitely different. My best headphones are also audio-technica, and not super high end, but they still sound great and different from my home system.

FourWindsBlow - That would indeed be an incredible boxset. Was it you that originally suggested Giants stadium shows?....I think you may be on to something with this east coast thing. The boxset you suggest has something to make all the era chasers happy...60's, 70's, 80's & 90's....Oh My!!!

Direwulf - Thanks for the article on acid. Far out read, and informative, but seems I need to expand my circle of friends. If I had to guess, might be some of those younger folks who could show me the light.....but that older stuff sounds nice too....always good to have choices....I'm stuck in the middle

Jim...holy shit man....it's Friday here too!!! There goes that synchronicity again....never fails! Have fun on your daily outdoor adventure while listening to the greatest band in the world!!! Looks like a nice day here, but would be a lot better if my Dave's copy were to arrive.

I'm flying out tomorrow morning for The Big Easy. And speaking of old people, my Wife's grandparents live down there and are both celebrating 96th birthdays and over 70 years of marriage. Wife's aunt owns a house down there. Wife's father was trying to set a new record with over 10 family members staying in said house. I outsmarted him and booked a room in the French Quarter for 4 nights.....send me a PM if any of you are in the area....I'm calling it "Operation Dakota"....hoping for good weather, but Looks Like Rain.....

If all goes well, I will come back to a mailbox filled with great music that will prep me for MUATM on August 1st. If things go wrong, I will send out a GoFundMe Link for bail money.....wish me luck folks!

10-4, Over and Out

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.

- Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Nothing changes, you've just gotten old!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

CSN , Santana, Stones are still around and touring; Hot Tuna can stand in for the Airplane; Chris Hillman for the Flying Burritos; invite Dead & Co , and make sure they cancel;. It wouldn't be a proper Altamont feast without Sonny Barger and his pals, and luckily he's still around. Did I leave anything out? Who is in??

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That site has a ton of useful and interesting information. I suspect that I am an outlier in the general population as far as trips taken, maybe not so much so in certain groups. My best estimate based on frequency x time is somewhere between 250-300 most over a core period of about 5 years. I just really liked tripping. Funny, I never really "quit", I just realized at some point that it had been years, now decades since I last tripped. But I remember...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Direwulf......who you calling a bad role model......I resent, er a resemble that remark! Lol
Dennis....who you calling old..... ; >)

MUDSTOCK 94....was at station across the street night before setting up merch tent (worked for NFA), then shipped downto original site, with a couple side trips to Freedom Festival, finally got back up to Sagurties main site and was taken in special service road in the back of a pickup around midnight.....phew, totally surreal! Saw some Metallica (I think it was that night) on second stage from afar, eventually saw Aerosmith on big stage that went on? really late, remember strangling back to the companies rented house like a mile away near dawn....so nice to have dry place to sleep and shower!
Sunday was given the day off so saw end of Arrested Development, The Allman Bothers with a very young Dereck sitting in for Same Thing. Also Traffic, Jimmy Cliff and Santana. Quite the day! Walked into town middle of day to a neighborhood bar and had awesome beer & Pizza, and watched Porn for pyros on the pay per view with a bunch of locals, that was interesting! Tried to see Dylan but it was such a quagmire and I had messed up my knee in all the mud so that’s when I went a saw Jimmy C instead, or perhaps that’s when Metallica? Sorry, all a big blur now..”all the years combine, and melt into a dream”. Unfortunately, didn’t get to see the Band as we were stuck down at original site, which is ironic since we worked with them a lot in those days....
Next day, Monday, on site to breakdown our store was like walking around a war zone, sans dead bodies, shit just everywhere. People had abandoned all kinds of stuff, brand new tents, you name it.....folks we’re driving around just loading up all kinds of great ground scores, me, I scooped up some mud, which I still have in sealed glass mason jar. Figured it was the best possible souvenir considering.....
Anyway, it was an experience of a lifetime, all those people, unfathomable, and didn’t see one single bad scene the whole time!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Looking at the FAQ page I found this:

“A Note To International Customers

If you order products for delivery to a shipping address outside the United States or Canada, you will be responsible for any and all import taxes, tariffs and duties which may be levied by your Customs or Government or Other Authority upon any parcel we send to you. Please note: taxes/duties are calculated based on the original retail price of the items in your order and does not include any discounts or promotions.”

I’m happy to pay all of these items but why the hell do I have to pay freight charges of more than £73 to get something I have already paid delivery charges on?

I’ve emailed drrhino and got an automated response saying I’ll get a reply in 5days, let’s hope the delivery people will wait that long.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Keeping the Dark Star anniversary going..... You get both Dark Star verses and a Comes a Time... Good quality boards out there also!! "You deserve the best... you deserve fancy feast" Stan Smith...... have a good weekend everyone. bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Can't wait for this Giant(s) box set:

7/9/89
Shakedown Street [13:01] ;
Jack Straw [5:39] ;
West L.A. Fadeaway [7:31] ;
Victim Or The Crime [7:12] ;
Brown Eyed Women [5:24] ;
Queen Jane Approximately [5:45] ;
Bird Song [11:17]

China Cat Sunflower [6:04] >
I Know You Rider [6:21] ;
Samson And Delilah [7:20] ;
Built To Last [5:20] ;
Truckin' [7:54] >
Jam [2:57] >
Drums [7:26] >
Space [10:#26] >
Gimme Some Lovin' [5:09] >
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [6:35] >
Throwing Stones [10:12] >
Not Fade Away [9:56]
Encore Brokedown Palace [5:21]

7/10/89
Feel Like A Stranger [7:22] >
Franklin's Tower [8:57] ;
Walkin' Blues [6:18] ;
Jack-A-Roe [4:23] ;
When I Paint My Masterpiece [5:36]
Tennessee Jed [8:17] ;
The Music Never Stopped [6:31] >
Don't Ease Me In [3:27]

Foolish Heart [9:34] ;
Just A Little Light [4:57] ;
Playing In The Band [6:29] >
Uncle John's Band [8:58] >
Jam [3:34] >
Drums [17:#18] (1) >
Space [10:06] >
Iko Iko [8:02] (1) >
All Along The Watchtower [5:39] (1) >
Morning Dew [10:38] (1) ;
Sugar Magnolia [4:06#] (1)
Encore Knockin' On Heaven's Door (1)
(1) with members of the Neville Brothers

6/16/91
Picasso Moon ;
Bertha ;
Little Red Rooster ;
Candyman ;
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again ;
Stagger Lee ;
Let It Grow

Jack Straw ;
Crazy Fingers ;
China Cat Sunflower >
I Know You Rider ;
Drums > Space >
I Need A Miracle >
Black Peter >
Throwing Stones >
Not Fade Away
Encore Box Of Rain

6/17/91
Eyes Of The World >
Walkin' Blues ;
Brown Eyed Women ;
Dark Star [1:28] >
When I Paint My Masterpiece ;
Loose Lucy ;
Cassidy ;
Might As Well

Dark Star [1:00] >
Saint Of Circumstance >
Ship Of Fools >
Dark Star [1:22] >
Truckin' >
New Speedway Boogie >
Dark Star [1:00] >
Uncle John's Band [9:38] >
Dark Star [9:48] >
Drums [12:05] > Space [8:40] >
China Doll [5:07] >
Playing In The Band [4:10] >
Dark Star [:34] >
Sugar Magnolia [9:07]
Encore The Weight

Although highly unlikely, it would be way cool if the opening act's sets were included: Little Feat, Neville Bros. and Los Lobos!
(Caveat: this post is shear speculation on my part .... or is it?!)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 9 months

I’m disgusted. Been buying the series since Dicks picks era. Been in the UK that long as well. All fine till now. Without warning, explanation or apparent concern you change international charges mid 2019 subscription. £73 on top. If you want to drive folk to just consume via archive.org this is the route. But if you do care then this needs to be fixed. Instead of a looked forward to listening experience I receive a USP ticket for more money.

Anyone done a 101 in CX? I’m pissed!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

If I want to get jazzy , spacey and ripping 74 jamming should I spend 75$ on Dave’s picks 13 or 17? I’m just looking for opinions, I’m going to give the archives a sit down over the weekend and also see what the new box set is, because I’m financially going to have make a decision and if the box set is a smoker it’ll have the potential to sell out like Europe 72(4 days!!!!, infuckingsane!) so I’m not about to let it slip by! I’d jump on Europe 72 if i had the chance ( at 400$ not the 1200
It’s going for now) , hoping it gets a 2022 anniversary rerelease. I’m not to sure if I’ll jump on the new box set it if it’s post 77 and over 150$ but 77 & earlier I’m almost certain I’ll get it!!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've also received an e-mail from those UPS thieves demanding £73.00 before they will deliver, so have fizzed off an e-mail to Dr Rhino. The delivery operative will be waiting a long time on my door step before I pay that. Dead.net will be similarly be waiting a long time before I make a future order until and only if this matter is resolved.

People over here have been investigating all this with ups and it seems that the orders were sent on the basis that the customer would pay for the despatch costs after leaving the US. Rhino seem to be aware of the problem and at least one person has had the charges waived with the dispatching client (I.e. Rhino) sorting out the new despatch charge and paying it. I’ve not yet received an email from ups advising me of the charges although the tracking info on their website states that duties and taxes are due. So my advice would be if UPS ask for something around the £76 pound mark on the door, tell them why you are not paying it and refuse to accept it on that basis. You should then contact Rhino and explain what has happened, quoting order reference and the tracking code, and instruct them to either re-arrange delivery with no despatch charges or refund you your money. You should also tell them that if there is no satisfactory response then you will contact your credit card company to get a refund that way - being charged twice for despatch costs is grounds for a refund into your card account.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I can say that I like both DaP 13 and DaP 17, but the 2/24/74 DaP 13 is my favorite of the two, great sound, great show, nice jazzy Dark Star. For what it's worth.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Charlie3

Yes, agree - if you had to choose between 13 & 17, go with 13. One of the best in the entire series.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

USPS email just confirmed that DP 31 awaits pick up in my PO Box...gonna be a fun (and loud) weekend...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

13 definetly over 17, but the Scooby doo house (16) is my favorite, so far, though 9 is no slouch either...

EDIT: sorry, meant Phil90210!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I suggest that you obtain copies of 2/24/74 and 7/19/74 from other sources. Look at a bit torrent site or some such with a Charlie Miller source and save your $75 for the box set. The reason I say this is that I don't think the DaP release of those shows are going to sound all that much better qualitatively than the CM sources. A box set however is likely to be either Plangent Processed or (as I believe will be the case with the next one) from a multi-track source. Neither of those mastering features will be available via trading circles and do make a big difference in the sound.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Oroborous

Love that one too - was really cool that they released this show and the early April 73 show later in the Dave's Picks series. We are truly blessed...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

punks are punks, no mater what their age, not all punks are young and not all young are punks, it's just a word that is synonymous with asshole? or maybe just not kind. No disrespect meant here. As far as acid being acid, I have also found that to be true, but does anyone still make blotter? In the late 90's it was all gel tabs and then it went to liquid so when I said that 94 was the last of the good blotter, that was a transportation method and nothing else, not an opinion that acid was better in "my day". From Orange Sunshine to window pane to microdots to blotter to gels to liquid, it has always been not what it is transported on, but who made it. Poorly manufactured lsd is just that, poorly manufactured by someone who just did not care about quality or was just in it for the money, in my opinion. Nowdays, I prefer mushrooms, but that is just an opinion also.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I'm in the same situation in the UK, has everyone else had a status that says "A missing commercial invoice is causing a delay. " as well as the £74 charge or have I been victim to 2 massive screw ups?

Emailed dead.net, UPS and Dr Rhino

This is my response from UPS which proves a huge error has been made by dead.net

"Dear

Thank you for letting us know of your concern.

Further review has been made to the shipment and it shows that the billing method for the shipment is "Free on Board". For this billing method, the sender will pay the transportation charge from their address up to the export location which is our sorting facility in United States. The rest of the transportation charge and the import fees will be billed to the receiver hence the amount of 73.92 GBP.

Furthermore, the parcel is currently held at the exporting country due to missing commercial invoices. We recommend contacting the shipper and advise to coordinate with their local UPS to provide the necessary document.

Should you require additional information or assistance in the future, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Airra B.
UPS Customer Support"

I don't seem to have received the same information as everyone else-unless I am looking in the wrong place. I have received an email saying "Good news, David, your order is on its way!", followed by a tracking number, a list of the Dave's picks to be sent this year by number, and a shipping number. It is being shipped by "missing-car-no:556" according to the information.

As said before, there is no way I am paying anything remotely in the region of £70.00 in addition to what I have already paid.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Apparently the first Stooges album came out in 1969 during the course of the Woodstock Festival. And it was the sound of the future.

I don't know if the younger generation are any more disrespectful of older generations than was the case in the past. I was disrespectful myself, when I was young, that's for sure. Any sacred cows or establishment mores were handy targets. I used to like that line by Marlon Brando in the film "The Wild One" when a girl asks him what he is rebelling against, and he snarls back "What have you got?"

Regarding acid, from my experience, between 1976 and 1981 it differed so much that the name seemed like a generic title for a range of substances. It seemed very powerful up to about 1976. I think it was in 1977 that there was a major bust known as "Operation Julie", which removed the industry as it was. After a period of scarcity, acid returned at the end of the decade, but it seemed to be a different thing then. Or I was. Once I discovered mushrooms I never bothered with it much.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html