• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by kyleharmon

It was written. Slow and funky. The way God and JJ Kale Intended it to be.

Good to see you too, Skulltrip. Tossing all the best possible vibes your way.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Tonight I finally had a chance to listen, properly, to the new release, but only disc one. I've known this show since I discovered LMA, and I've heard great sounding recordings of it, but this is really a whole new level. I love how loud Bobby is... he was doing some bizarre and gorgeous shit at this show! The mix overall is stellar, and I agree with the consensus, what WAS Keith doing on Minglewood? :o) Another something I'd never really noticed until hearing it so clearly, (and PUMPED on my car stereo.)

Anyway, overall, this is such a solid 1st set, top to bottom. Are there lyric flubs? Yep. Any "clams" here and there? Yep, sure are. It is common knowledge that the most successful supermodels are those who have some sort of "imperfection"... think Cindy Crawford and her mole. (You're welcome.)

The playing is absolutely ferocious throughout, and I think it has to be in the discussion for best 1st set of Fall 77 - if not the year. Highlights for me are the Might as Well and Jack Straw as a 1-2, the Ramble on Rose (which has a swing about it that I haven't noticed before - TANGENT: Billy and Micky are completely locked in this set... makes a HUGE difference. -), and the the Roses/Let it Grow closing duo... F'n perfection. Donna and Jerry sound like angels singing this Roses... and then - I would like everyone to find some time to relisten to Jer's opening solo in Let it Grow, which happens right around the 4:00 min mark... SMOKING HOT!!! They then jam for another 8 or so... truly a great version of what would become such a reliable set closer.

I'm more familiar with Set 2, and I know that the music is great. However, if my "proper" listening experience (hopefully this weekend) is equal to what I had today with Set 1, this may be earning a place in the upper-echelon of Dave's Picks in my book... and Bermuda Triangle Jai Alai is next? Good time to be a fan!

Also, I agree with Dr. Jim (as usual)... we need something out of left field for 35. As someone mentioned earlier, the 3rd release of the year seems to be the one that is the outlier, but I really enjoyed 31 (Chicago), 27 (Boise), 23 (Eugene), 19 (Hawaii)... 11 is freakin' Wichita 72, and then volume 3 (Chicago again) is, IMO, a top tier release in the series.... I'd like to see something outside of the 70s for 35, earlier or later. If 80s, I'd be happy with another matrix, a la Dave's 8.

Looking forward to a nice loud listen to discs 2 and 3 soon. I think I may even have some Scooby Snacks coming my way to make it all the better.

Hope all is well tonight across DeadLand,

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years

Clams. Ha. I may be ignorant but by 'clams' you mean
crowd talkers during a song? Please enlighten me so it can be used by me at some future time. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

I remember reading that one of the band members, I believe it was in Phil's book, used the term "clams" to refer to the bad notes they would hit... I always thought that was pretty funny. The term, however, is pretty ubiquitous in the music world, particularly in jazz. There is a (in)famous video of drummer Buddy Rich yelling at his band on their tour bus about "clams." I would link a video here, but the Web Blocker here at work is so efficient that results for searching blocked videos don't even appear. It can be easily found on YouTube though by searching for "Buddy Rich Tour Bus Rant," or something like that.

Now, referring to those people who talk loudly during shows, the newer term I've been hearing thrown around is "chomper." I have mixed feelings about this. Sure, I don't want anyone talking loudly when I am trying to listen to a concert, but I also don't want any self-important jerk telling me to be quiet (I don't talk a lot, but...) or worse, giving me one of those passive aggressive cards. Look, we all paid to see the same show, and it's a rock and roll concert, not the symphony or church. On top of that, I have found that the derisive use of the term "chomper" is more often than not used to signal how much more someone "is into" the band than someone else - just another way of proving oneself as "Deader than thou..." (or, as I have more commonly found it, "Phishier than thou"... this type of attitude is rampant among Phish fans.) Again, if we could all just live by the motto "Don't be a jerk," than no one would be yelling their conversations during songs and no one would be getting butt-hurt because someone next to them talked to their buddy for a moment during "Sand."

Rant over.

And now, for your TDIGDH - Stanley Theater, 1969: https://archive.org/details/gd1969-02-07.137392.sbd.wise.sirmick.sbeok…

It's February in 69... chances are high it's a good one!

Happy Friday, DeadLand,

Peace

Great show.. Dennis has a trip report somewhere. I have a good board of that show.. Send a PM if you want it.

'85 is one of those years I wished they recorded well on Reel to Reels. Can you imagine how different things would have been if Bear didn't get busted both in '68 and again in '70? We'd have more Reel to Reel recordings to be sure. There's momentum to make mushrooms legal in Washington DC. Baby steps but progress nonetheless.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

No, it's not an adult title. I have a nice soundboard (and audience) of this show. Yes I was there with a group. We rented a van and about 8 of us packed in. We spent the day in the amusement park tripping balls. Made my buddy sick on a spinning ride. Started drizzling while in the park, hit the gift shop and we all bought these cheap Hershey ponchos. Big garbage bags with holes in the top and arms with a glued on sack for the head. They were covered with pics of Hershey candies all over them. Everyone in show wanted to know where we got them, guess they only sold them in the amusement park gift shop,,,, lucky us!

They had the band set up in the end zone, front of stage at goal line. They were running a quad sound system with speakers towers on all four corners of the end zone. During Estimated during the wah-wah section they moved the sound around the four speaker towers, diagonally, front to rear and circles. wah-wah, wah-wah, wah-wah. We were in top row of bleachers at the 50 yard line (place wasn't that big, like a high school football field) You could hear the sound moving around,,, wow (like said, tripping balls) My log book shows an incredible morning dew. But I think the estimated will ALWAYS be remembered.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Started off with two shows from 74 that I seem to skip over 6/8/74 Oakland Coliseum..... just got to the start of Playing in the Band.... can't wait.... after 7/21/74 Hollywood Bowl... bob t

Edit...The Two Lost China Dolls of 1974.... one here, "Sorry folks the guitars went out of tune".. Phil Lesh and the famous 8/6/74 "Don't climb on the fence idiot" Bob Weir... both out of Eyes of the World

It came through pretty clear in the tapes.. great Morning Dew.

I think they have two different music venues in Hershey Park.. Hershey Park Stadium and Hershey Park Theatre. I saw Bob Weir alone and acoustic at the theatre opening up for Bob Dylan a few years ago. Great little venue, great time. Both performers were quite excellent.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

CARLO: “ smells like a pine tree in a can” your making me thirsty! On cold meds so no alcohol going on almost 2 weeks now, Dooooooo!
33 EYES: definetly and edit glitch

BOOBIE DAZZLER: I actually “borrowed” that from Gary Draiton on The Curse of Oak Island, currently our favorite show. The guy cracks me up.

D&C: you’d think either before or after they’d do at least some West Coast shows...

35 LEFT FIELD: “that would be something”, hopefully with the success of the giants box they’ll feel more comfortable about branching out. And I’ll take any well done Matrix!

CLAMS: mistakes, clunkers, F.U.s, are all very technical musician terms, lol, or as Phil would say, no such thing as a mistake, only an opportunity to take the music somewhere else.

OTIS: right on!

STLOTZY: 😃😃

DENNIS: 😃 yuck, yuck, and great Hershey story/description. Personally, I lost my shit in Hershey, lol. Actually saw a homemade tee-shirt that said that, I wanted it so bad...I know some folks kinda underrate this one, but it’s always been a fav of shows I was at. The Dew was a personal favorite, perhaps the Live fav...But that Estimated is a Boobie Dazzler for sure! I distinctly remember during EP it stopped raining enough for them to start removing the plastic tarps protecting the PA Speakers, by the time the build up in Terrapin came round, between that and Healy turning it up, the sound got real nice and loud. We were standing right in front of him and thus goading him until then to turn it up, so eventually he did. The moon came out and man that whole Terrapin, drums/space was intense. Definitely utilizing the surround matrix as Dennis described, but also Healy’s custom auto pan, and ? something that could move the sound forward and back, similar to 3D immersive audio that’s a current AV trend. But this was some cool shit as you could literally hear sounds coming out over our head and move towards the back, and the back suddenly toward the front, or even hover right over our heads. I remember turning around and grinning at Healy and his grin was even bigger! Hard to describe but amazing freaky shit. Heard similar at other surround setup gigs, especially cool when near the SB! Like Jim says, if only we had better recordings of those years!

8/6/74: bobt, Bob’s rather chatty throughout that one, and pretty hilarious how he has to scold the kids, Stoltzy would be proud 😉

Happy Friday folks! Hope I make it home as we’re getting ponded pretty good up here. Im working on a north facing slope about 10K above sea level, and its “puking” as the locals say...so hope I make it home as I received the mighty Ref 3 back from its maker and my new DAC late last night. Hope to give 33 etc a real workout tonight, perhaps with some Scooby Snacks, lol 😎 Sooooobbbyyyy ruuuueee!

It gets on my tits when people start (and often never stop) talking at gigs. In fact I am not crazy about talking in general. Since the advent of mobile phones etc people can't even shut up for 5 minutes when they are on there own in England. Oftens the time I slump into a seat on the train, get out my book, and then have to shut out the sound of someone talking bollocks at the top of their voice to someone on a phone. It would be nice if we could have a national day of silence. No talking for 24 hours. Bliss.

No Dave's picks in England yet, but that's to be expected. So much for this "special relationship " between the U.S and the U.K. that they keep banging on about.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

astroworld southern star
gooney birds
jitterbug in the enchanted kingdom bounce house
talking trees from wizard of oz
snow cones
perfect show bird rain deal scarlet touch wheel dew
such determined leopards before embarking to manor we drove out to hi island
for the sunrise
love of my life in my arms fata morgana and the rest
last time being in washington state bout a decade ago met a fellow on the ferry to bc and we both agreed that summer 85 needed the europe 72 treatment
greek
alpine
riverbend
blossom
spac
hershey
merriweather
pittsburg
ventura
red rocks
lost summers display laminate showcasing divinity you dig
my last show was 88 houston tryed the whole dad thing for a while
some will try to recapture the flag and some will play it smart and recognise summertime has passed guess we are all indifferent in our own ways bein modest
rip domino love you forever

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'm sure this is a great show and recording. Who knows if I will ever receive it. Looks to be lost in the mail. GDM says they are looking to send me a replacement. So far, no replacement sent. Definitely the last time I buy a subscription

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Well just finished that show. Rob sure knew how to tape shows back in the 70's!!! Take a listen to the Row Jimmy Playing>Truckin>Wharf Rat>Playin if you don't want to listen to the whole show... I listened to the Charlie Miller one....

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I thought Jim was at Hershey also?

Oro, glad you reinforced my memory. Sometimes I'd tell people about the pure "sonics" of a show and you'd get that look. Another sonic memory is a Halloween show in Columbia(?). Small venue, classic theater v shape. They had speakers arranged on stage, but also in the rear corners. Encore, I believe, they did Werewolves of London and when Bobby did the wwwwaaaaawwwwoooooo … werewolves of London, the sound wrapped around the theater as they brought the two corners up. It was a wow moment.

Saw the poetry, I remember the Gooney Bird..... and Merriweather.

Was around that time we went to an Island you crossed an old RR bridge to get to. That was a nice place. (yes I could look up this info, but I'm too lazy right now)

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Thanks, man. To paraphrase the late great Warren Zevon, I’m enjoying every sandwich.

Day by day, moment by moment.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I zipped you a pm.

I was there, but this is one of the shows I just don't have great memory of. I think we arrived late and I am quite sure I did not drive. I do remember the Dew and Encore. I recall you were there and either have a much better memory or take good notes. It's quite possible there were beverages consumed on the way and perhaps we got there a little late?? Rain and traffic out of Baltimore perhaps?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Completely different to me and always have, then the boards from the years around them? Listening to 8/30/85 Southern Star Amphitheatre right now. I can't explain the clarity that comes through. I don't know enough about recording to. I remember hearing about recording the audio on VCR tapes but I don't know if that was a myth... Thanks and have a good weekend. bob t

..just kidding. They were recorded on Betamax tapes. Betamax Audio was a big step up from Cassettes (but still a step down from Reels). I believe they might have fit a whole show on a single tape too, but don't quote me on that. Perhaps someone else knows more about this than me.

https://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/beta/betamax.html

They were still house PA recordings I believe. And Healey was still messing with a mic at the soundboard and doing his ultramixes, again.. not an expert on this, but I believe it's true.

There was an ugly rumor that Healey was mixing the soundboard to one track (the audio) and somehow added the audience to the video portion of the tape and some wizard somehow was going to get the pure soundboard feed back. That appears to not be true.. but the Betamax audio tapes were a step up. Have you noticed not many have been released though?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So cool you were there. Have had great boards of that for years. Would love to see an 85 box. I've read that they recorded on betamax and DAT as well as cassette during this era. Front of house mixes.

My 1st show was Pine Knob 84. That was a nice show in the midst of a strong run of Sumner shows around the Midwest through to that famous 7/13 Greek show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

First off - nice to see you back, Skull. I hope all is as well as can be.

Not to be a buzz kill, but I never understood all the praise for this show. Folks seem to love it, so God bless them and enjoy it. To me it pales in comparison to the night before and two nights later in Merriweather. Maybe it was the rain or the fact that we were so strung out from the long, dreary ride through night. Aside from the unique song selection in the first set, the only things that stood out for me were the aforementioned Morning Dew and the guy systematically stealing the pennants from all the flagpoles.

Still haven’t spun 33. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

PS - Being present when they bounced the sound around to all four corners of the arena is one of the coolest concert experiences ever (save the WOS, but I wasn’t around for that). You are absolutely correct.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....were a couple of the first boards I ever got. Biasism be damned.
Healy bounced the room big time in long beach '88. I walked in. Saw speaker stacks at the back of the arena. Jaw dropped. My first three day run. Swore i heard a chainsaw cutting through the roof. I also swore I would lay off the acid as well. Ha! Good luck with that!
Edit. Chainsaw. AJS's buzzkill comment. Funny.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

..it's got a Comes a Time and a Morning Dew. I think whole Summer and Fall lot are noteworthy. So many new songs, I don't want to speculate.. but it's almost like they rehearsed a bit for this tour being the 20th anniv. I seem to recall Jerry lost some weight too but that could be bunk.. and when did he get arrested in Golden Gate Park?

I agree on SPAC and Merriweather that year, add Blossom and Riverbend for good measure.

'85 was fun though. It was the last "good" year before they got big. Jerry's voice was hanging on by a thread, but had it's moments. Psychedelic's were plentiful, the scene was generally chill.. In 86 the music wasn't as good and things got dark with Jerry. In 87, In the Dark brought on the crowds, MTV and the spotlight. They were still playing tiny venues in 84 and 85, after that, they were hanging on for dear life to the smallness and intimate settings. One by one, the smaller venues went extinct and stadiums came back into play along with organized vending (organized crime really) in the parking lots. It got too big. 89 and 90 were really nice, 91 was special yet somber. 85 was a last hurrah of sorts though and to these ears the music was a step up from 83 and 84.

85 was really fun, a sort of last age of innocence. The whole summer was really good. Nothing bad seemed to happen back then.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Grate year for the Dead! I saw two killer shows at the Frost Ampitheatre, 4/27 & 4/28, the best year at the Frost, I think. Saw a fantastic show at the Greek 6/14/85, they opened the second set with Morning Dew, and finished up with Comes a Time. Yeah, 85 was a lot of fun.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

but has anyone heard the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Hybrid SACD of "Blues For Allah" that was released last year? I don't know how this slipped past me...just read about it on the MOFI website while looking for something else...

Have a tape to disc copy of that10/31/85 first set. Bet that sounded... I bet I’d a bin giggling like a school girl, smiling so hard it hurt! 😀
Another surround beaut was on the floor near the board at the Hamilton 3/21/90...the build up and peak during Victum or the Crime, pheewww, good sheeet mon!

85 tapes/Sound: I don’t think the Boxilla Riverbend show sounds that bad? Ok, perhaps not huge resolution, but I’m not the only one here that feels if it’s a good show, ya settle in, cough ahem, and entrain, and you get past some of that. I just popped on now after another aaa background listen to 33, and I’d definetly take some if they could at least make it this good...

user picture

Member for

7 years

There are a few patches or splices on this dap.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

I remember hearing that on archive a few years back

Like a pan of brownies

:)))

user picture

Member for

7 years

I picked up an unopened july 78 box on ebay for $45 more than cost but I want to make sure I get one if the one I'm waiting for never comes. If it does show up some day I will have an extra one for future trade.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Happy full moon everyone and I've just received all this new music. Well, new releases from the artists anyway. The new Stone Temple Pilots acoustic release, Perdida, is outstanding. It's not the crushing hard rock grooves of yore but rather a very melodic offering with shades of Led Zeppelin III at times. New singer is the best fake Weiland yet.

Joe Bonamassa, Live At The Sydney Opera House also four stars. Covers of Jethro Tull, Clapton's Mainline Florida and a number of moody blues pieces. Impeccably produced. He is definitely keeping that music alive.

Last, Let's Rock by The Black Keys. Easily their best record. Perfect uptempo soul/pop/rock that's great in the car.

That's it. Later everyone.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

Received a email from Dead.net customer service concerning my Dicks Picks 32 ........yes that’s #32 the one most of you received around Thanksgiving or Christmas......well customer service had stated Rhino will be suppling some numbered #32 in about 4 weeks ......yes that’s right in ABOUT 4 WEEKS ........at this rate I’ll get my #32 maybe with some luck around Easter or of course #34 may be out by then . One wonders what actually goes on at the Rhino plant ........4 weeks.......They can’t be serious ..... Sad but true

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

Big tip of the glass for July 78.

I've been thinking about this a lot with repeat listens of Dekalb. The Estimated Eyes for example, I much prefer 7/5 Omaha. .. as Oroborous would say, a real bobby dazzler.

I'm still big on that box.. it's spectaculaaareee.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Omaha Space>Wharf Rat gets good and weird. It's always nice to hear positive comments about July 78. That box packs a wallop!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Would the complete 5 shows from Winterland October 1974 sell better than the Pacific Northwest box? Been listening to Europe 74 today, finished 9/20/74 Palais Des Sports, which is stellar but Bob is really low on the recording so the sound is very unique, and just jumped to Alexandria Place 9/11/74 and started with the Playing. I thought Pacific Northwest would be gone quickly, but not even close... bob t

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by bob t

Audio and Video, complete.

PNW not sold out?
Sunshine Daydream hasn’t even sold out (last I checked).

I guess people just don’t know what is good for them.

Another 4 weeks for DaP 32 replacements?
Sounds a lot like the fiasco of getting replacement discs for the defective 6-17-76 CD3’s. Takes weeks to get a run into the production schedule.

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Just had one of the coolest concert experiences ever (for me, that is :)

Went to see the Allman Betts Band in Ann Arbor w an old buddy. We dont get around much anymore.

Opener was a rockin dude from Nashville, J.D. Simo. He fronts a 3 piece that mixes blues, soul, and shred with aplomb. Got an autographed LP. Any Tennessee Jed's out there go see this dude any chance you get.

I see a guy in the lobby who has almost the exact same Allman Bros t shirt I have (same design, same year, but his was from the spring Beacon run mine from the summer tour). I ask him about it and we get to jamming and turns out the dude is the biggest Gov't Mule fan ever. He's actually in the DVD of The Deepest End from New Orleans. Or so he says, I'm not home from the show yet to verify.

Allman Betts Band are good, kinda like how your favorite minor league baseball team is good. They're not gonna make me give up my Fillmore East Blu Ray, but it was a fun show. One of the most fun moments was a rollicking Shakedown in the middle of the set. I expected some good ABB covers, but that Shakedown was a lovely surprise.

Afterwards my buddy and I are hanging out at BUffalo Wild Wings in Ann Arbor and sonuvabitch if Devon Allman doesn't come in and sit at the end of the bar.

Me: Hey man, are you . . . Devon Allman?

Him: Yes, I am.

Me: Wow, thats cool. I was just at your show.

Him: No kidding, so was I.

*Ba Dum Ching!*

There's another guy with him who notices my shirt, with an iconic framed picture of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley (not the shirt that lobby dude and I have in common)

Him: That bass guitar was in the show tonight.

Me: ummm, I think Mr Oakley has passed on . . .

Him: No the actual guitar in that photo. Our bassist uses it for some tunes.

Me, but as Keanu Reeves: Whoaaaaaaaaaa

I didn't want to be a lame fanboy anymore than I already was so I went about my evening and coincidentally they left right after I talked to them, almost as if to say "Shit we've been made."

Recreational marijuana is legal now in the state of Michigan, a fact which has nothing to do with any of the events of this evening.

Bring it.

As for stuff selling out or not.. perhaps there's a bit of saturation and CD fatigue. Expanding to 22k combined with good shows not quite selling out might have the effect of lessening the urgency of it all. Which is probably good.

We might see either inventories to build or for supply to lessen. Which matters not if you just get the subscription.

I wonder what kind of box they are going to send our way this year? My bet is a known era multi-track.. like Feb 71 or fall 1980. Drifting away from the ABCD returns for a while.. I'd love to see 69 too. As for an off the radar Dave's Picks, I could see one from the 1980 Alaska run getting released one day.

Cheers all, have a great weekend.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

The complete Fillmore East/Fillmore West recordings, all the Dead shows. Probably won't happen, but it would sure be cool. I would think Winterland Oct 74, with video and audio, would be fantastic! A decade box set would be cool, 1970 to 1979. I believe that they are missing the tape from Winterland 6/17/75, but maybe they can come up with it like they did for the original mix of Aoxomoxoa, that was also said to be missing for awhile.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

...this morning I came across this vinyl issue due next week from Real Gone Music of Dickus Pickus Vol 24 (3-24-74) ...A four LP box releases Feb 14th...only 1,500 pressed...

https://theseconddisc.com/release/dicks-picks-vol-24-cow-palace-daly-ci…

I found this info when I was searching for info on the release of The Japanese Dylan 45's from '64 to '85...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html