• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

While returning home from Boulder last summer I spoke to my friends about the possibility of the end of an era. As in surviving band members and mortality. This also holds true for any of us. There were times at Dead concerts in the 80s and 90s when the music became almost elastic or the stretching of time and space. Or an illusion of timelessness. But sometimes I would wonder during those moments about the health of Jerry in regards to the finite nature of existence. There are two songs I’ve listened to recently that really hit home, Beware of Darkness and All Things Must Pass, from one of the all time great solo albums ever created. I speak of George Harrison. Amazing that a person of such fortune and fame had such insight.
In the past few weeks my neighbor has had a nest of birds (flycatchers) build the nest, lay the eggs, hatch out, grow with blinding speed , learn to fly , and leave the nest. Nature in a microcosm of beauty and grace. ( human value projection)
My last live music events were on February 1st and 2nd a few months ago. During the day of the 1st I was at the Tohono O’odham Nation Fair west of Tucson and heard Carl and Buddies. Waila Music of the Pima and O’odham Tribes is awesome. Then on the evening of the 2nd I drove from Sells up to the the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale to see the amazing contemporary Inuktitut throat singer Tanya Tagaq perform who was born and raised in Churchill Bay, Canada. I had the great honor to meet her backstage after the concert. Having read her amazing book “Split Tooth” created a positive connection. I’ve only seen two other female performers in concert that commanded all the elements in such a profound manner, Grace Slick at two different Jefferson Airplane concerts , May 3, 1970 at the Central Park Band Shell and then later that year in November at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester. The third person I must include was seeing Nina Simone perform at the Newport Jazz Festival in summer of 1970. Tanya Tagaq , Nina Simone and Grace Slick are with out a doubt the most powerful Woman singers I’ve had the sheer luck to have seen perform. They had the electrifying ability to transform the listener into realms outside of everyday mundane existence.
The Grateful Dead also had/have the ability to transport people to a higher place of liberation of the spirit. An old buddy of mine once said years back “ the Grateful Dead are shamans of the highest order”. And at the same time just regular people.
So if the last concert I ever experience in life was from Tanya Tagaq I sure as hell got my spiritual battery fully charged.
“All I know is something like a bird within her sang and then flew on.”

I wonder how often those two have been mentioned together?

STRIDER 88: Wow man.. Nina Simone Newport Jazz Festival '70 would love to hear more about that!
Keep em coming.
BTW I've been meaning to ask you, Plaid shirt GD Movie '74 PITB Reprise?

In Regards to NRPS - You gotta check out 5/2/70 & 5/15/70 good SBDs on Archive.org Legendary GD stuff and IMO best NRPS.

Live Music 2020 - With Covid Canceling everything indefinitely not sure when that will happen again and noticing that anymore I gotta pee to often. Frick.

I'm glad I was flying when I was a baby bird.

Cool convo.. and HENDRIXFREAK nailed it, Mushroom Powder & NRPS got me out of lurker mode too :)

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

“ the Grateful Dead are shamans of the highest order”.

Could be the smartest thing I heard this year.

btw, I took the liberties of putting the complete 5/15/70 in order using the best possible recordings available. The same for 5/2, but it was much easier to do. If anyone wants a copy, you know where to reach me..

Now.. time to begin some serious home improvement projects. Yuk to start, sort of fun halfway through and assuming I do a good job (is there any doubt), years of satisfaction on the back end.

Happy Saturday all.. Perhaps I should check into the what's playing today page before I venture out. :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Ike and Tina Turner Review also performed the same night as Nina Simone. I remember a black man say as Nina was taking the stage , “I have to stand up for Nina Simone!”
I remember some interview with Pigpen around that time commenting on Ike and Tina Turner, “ They ain’t no slouches”.
Grateful Dead Movie. Taller than others around me , denim cowboy shirt, shoulder length dark hair. Three one second shots. Also in Sunshine Daydream . Too hard to explain. Add Grateful Days about the Springfield Creamery. Also in Deadheads, a short and entertaining film about fans of the Grateful Dead. That should give you enough clues to figure it out.
“If I told you all that went down it would burn off both your ears. “

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Sounds like our paths are running somewhat parallel, Lovemygirl. Sending you tons of light and love to help shoulder the weight. I know how heavy it can get.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Spent some time with both Spring 90 box sets over the past few weeks. Must admit, I'm appreciating them more now than I did before, especially The Other One.

I'll also admit it was prompted by my son listening to the Spring 90 sampler on Spotify in his room (not a bad turn for a kid who used to call the Dead his old man's "old man music").

I always feel like I'm rediscovering this band. Part of what I love so much about them.

Wow, thank you Skull Trip, also with you my cosmic friend! for your very kind & moving message. It brought tears to my eyes, honest to god it gives me hope & strength to know I’m not alone! In the beginning I felt really alone, i mean totally isolated both physical and psychological. I needed help yet my lips could not speak the words I wanted to be heard. A silence like a fog, fell over & engulfed my wandering spirit & turned it black & blue . Grey clouds hovered over my head dropping tears down my cheeks
Just one more Stella Bue to get me thru,
To win again
A smile
A sunshine daydream of eternal peace , but nothen comes for free
When you hear that song
Crying like wind &
Everything seems lost
& Just out of reach
like a dream
Stella Blue
Please
Stella blue get me thru
Until tomorrow
When the birds start to sing, once again...

Have a grateful day Skulltrip & everyone else, peace be with you all! 🙏❤️💀🌹

Good to see you again. Was getting worried as we haven’t heard from you in a while.
Funny about the kid....and so it begins! Lol

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

2 17 Warfield
2 19 SD
2 20 SD
2 21 LA

i _think_ above locations are correct

Worth a listen, gents

5 months hence, I got on the bus

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I went to both those shows, they were both rockin! Warfield Theatre was a cool place to see the Dead, nice bar and not a bad seat in the house.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Nope. You're not alone, LMG. Thanks for trusting us all enough to share your truth. I learned the hard way that I didn't have to tough it out on my own. Deeply grateful for the support that I have, both here on the site and at home.

And thanks, Oroborous and Deadheadbrewer. Doing my best to enjoy every sandwich for as long as I can.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Good to hear from you Skulltrip. Sending my best vibes to you. Stay strong!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...everyone here is beautiful in their own way, I’m grateful to be a part of this ‘community’ of Grateful Dead fans. I’ve met many grateful people here. thank you again Skulltrip and everyone else. We share the same love! be safe be kind have grateful Sunday everyone.! In Jim Morrison’s own words, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSGSjlwlHY

Rock on my brothers & sisters!!!
I’m playing Dicks Picks#10
12/29/77
Digitally Mastered directly from the Analog Tapes...my tubes are alive ! Lol
Primo! Love this pick!

May I send you a PM Skulltrip

Ps I gotta say , Dicks Picks #10 is a primo album to start your day & play on a Sunday morning!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Great to hear from you again my good man. I certainly hope all is as well as can be with you.

A few straggling comments. The issue of disc rot came up a few weeks ago. I do not have that problem, but my CDs are beginning to skip on my old Onkyo. I suspect it is the laser. Does anyone know if it can be cleaned/replaced or am I in the market for a new CD player?

The Band. I just purchased the expanded version of The Last Waltz and Rock of Ages. Tremendous stuff. Any thoughts on why they were able to sound so good with a horn section and the GD were not?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

A few years back my NAD CD player started doing that. The player had always been finicky, but then it really starting disliking CDs. I found that it's relatively easy to do a quick clean of the lens, and that apparently works in a lot of cases. I did that, and the player recovered nicely for six months or so, but then went back to its old tricks. From what I know, it's then time for a new player, as the laser assembly is failing. Laser assemblies are inexpensive, and are supposedly easy to replace, but that's above my pay grade and skill set. If you have the dough and favor your time over it, then I would just get a new player and move on.

Horns--my guess is that The Band's songs are pretty straight-forward R&B/rock tunes on which the drummer plays it pretty straight. No one in The Band is filling space with guitar flourishes or playing a melodic bass line, so there is time/space for some horns. In the GD's snaky psychedelic cowboy music a horn player would need to wend her/his way around; there aren't obvious places for horns like there is in straight R&B/rock. And in the GD, the drummer (just one at the time of the horns) was swinging (rather than playing hard rock counts), Bobby was filling every space with amazing licks and jazzy chords, and Phil was playing almost counterpoint to Jerry, so then there wasn't any room for other players to do anything, other than the basics.

That, and I'm guessing that in true GD style, they didn't really rehearse/plan with the horn players, but rather just had them start showing up one night! :)

AJS--I'll send the notes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

It appears that Onkyo no longer makes a 6-disc carousel player.
Can only find used ones online.
It suspect that all CD players will disappear since you can play a CD on a DVD or BluRay player.
But I like carousel players, and I have separate audio and video sound systems in my living room.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

IceCream, if you check Crutchfield, it appears that Onkyo has a six-CD changer coming later this year, as does Integra. I know this because I spent a lot of time at Crutchfield recently, shopping for a new single-disc player. I'm guessing that Covid is interrupting some supply chain, as a LOT of the CD players are listed as currently unavailable.

The Yamaha changer is in stock . . .

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Worked really well when it was Branford Marsalis on sax 3/29/90. That Eyes is top shelf and the way Branford played it sounded like the song was always meant to have a sax in the mix. Sounds really good in Birdsong too.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I had wondered if Onkyo was letting old stock run out before bringing out a new model.
I have a DX-C390, paid about $120 for it in 2015. Crutchfiled has it listed for $199 (in stock 9/4/20). If they actually get new ones in it looks like it will still be the same model.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So I counted about 25+ discs of NRPS in my collection. The advice on their official bootleg series is sound. I don't go past 1975, cuz that's when Dave Torbert/bass joined Weir in Kingfish (hot band, caught multiple shows).

On the live music front, I should clarify: whenever "concerts" resume, I may be a) too cautious, but also b) I was really talking generally about "concerts" vs. other forms of live music. Lot of bars in Denver have great local bands for free or $5 cover and you can hang, dance, listen, relax. It's the $75 to $100 to even $150 tickets with 10,000 people -- even Red Rocks anymore -- plus the $9 beers, and incessant talking that has made me increasingly choosey and, now, flat out reluctant, to go. After ~45 years of going to shows at Red Rocks and invariably choosing Gen' Admission -- which we prepared for by getting in line at 9am, so we could dash for the front row -- I've pared back to 1-2 shows a year and, yes, reserved seats to avoid the scrum with people like I used to be. If that makes sense. I had tics to Tedeschi-Trucks this summer and they canceled pretty late, like 3 weeks ago. I had already decided I would not go, even if it cost me the $200 for two tics. So whenever we get to congregate again, I'm likely to stick to my local club shows.

Lastly, The Band with horns -- chalk that up to Rick Danko on bass and Levon Helm on drums and the heavy backbeat that Billy and Philly never really laid down (except maybe on Big Boss Man and a few other Pig tunes). Also recall that Allen Toussaint (RIP) was the arranger. And, to someone else's comment, yeah, the GD never made a plan to do that, it just happened occasionally. Now, why do Clarence Clemmons and Jer sound so good together in the latest GarciaLive show? Cuz there's lots of blues and R&B and Motown in that repertoire.

Okay, folks, have a great Sunday. I gotta go weigh out some mushroom powder.......

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I have an Onkyo five CD disc changer from about 25 years ago. The thing still works great. I was just about to give it away when my Onkyo single disc changer started skipping. Guess I’ll keep the older one.

Add CD players to the list of items you can’t purchase during this shutdown. Puppies and rollerblades are already on it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 6 months

Anyone know when was the last concert that Jerry played the steel guitar?

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I saw him play it on 7/24/87/in Oakland, when the Dead played with Dylan, that could have been the.last time , but I'm not sure.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

29 years ago

I am lucky to have been there

The show itself was only 20 years after 4 27 71

Time is weird

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Concentration Moon by good ole Frank from the album 'We are only in it for the money'. Think it was released around '67/'68. I remember well.
Apparently not much has changed ever since and this all around the world. Very sad.
Alles Gute! G.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hot and dusty.. I was there too.. BobbyL as well if memory serves.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

In no particular order, Dire Wolf, Uncle John's Band, Easy Wind, Cumberland Blues , Ripple, Truckin, Alligator, Stella Blue, Pride of Cucamonga, Attics of my Life. Wow, it's tough to only pick 10.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Billy the Kid, I'll bet Brokedown Palace was #11. Or The Eleven. I'd have to think about that one. I don't know if I could pick 10 across all eras.

20 Years ago I would have said the studio version of Foolish Heart was my favorite, but I didn't know too many Dead songs back then.

Uncle Gary sent a great sounding unofficial CD release of the 9/23/72 Waterbury show - fantastic show with everyone very loud in the mix, especially Jerry. As most shows were played immaculately in those days, I'm convinced that the subjective fan rating system is based on the volume of Jerry's guitar along with the overall fidelity of the recording.

The second night in Waterbury on 9/24/72 was released on 30 Trips Around The Sun and features Jerry at lower than normal volume. Tough to listen to unless you monkey around with speaker volume and other audio enhancement to compensate. The Bertha is nice, so is Bird Song, China Rider, The Other One (preceded by a rare 1972 Cryptical Envelopement). Also a great Wharf Rat and another rare one - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. Thanks UG - really enjoying this one.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

9/24/72 - Yes Keithfan, Jerry very low in the mix. Frustrating. Otherwise a great show. 9/23/72 is very gratifying - Sept '72 was amazing overall.

Dylan and the Dead did nothing for me. I was amazed when I heard the album for the first time - just stunned at how it turned me completely off both acts. Expectations were high, but in retrospect it's easily my least favorite GD release of all time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Would have to include Dark Star, China>Rider and PITB for me...and maybe Sunrise :-P

Without giving it too much thought...….Mountains of The Moon, China Cat, Cumberland Blues, Box of Rain, Ripple , Brokedown Palace, Attics of my Life, Must Have Been the Roses, China Doll and Crazy Fingers.
Oddly, apart from Cumberland and China Cat, my favourite versions of the above songs are the studio ones.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Brokedown Palace
St. Stephen
Bird Song
China-Rider
Comes a Time
Here Comes Sunshine
Crazy Fingers
Playin in the Band
Foolish Heart
The Music Never Stopped

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Playing In The Band
Dark Star
That’s It For The Other One
Born Cross Eyed
Bird Song
St. Stephen (’68-’71)
Jack Straw
Slipknot!
Black Peter
Candyman

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

This was easy:

Here Comes Sunshine
Dark Star
Eyes of the World
Help on the Way
Crazy Fingers
Shakedown Street
Bird Song
China - Rider
Ripple
Brokedown Palace

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I felt the same way as ‘member’ THIN feelings after my first listen. I was totally let down. I went to many of the performances and that release was like nothing I remember experiencing in that manner. It made me not listen to it for years after repeatedly trying to listen to the album and find its so called musical purpose and what, what is their message? Till this day it’s my least played Dead or Dylan release in my entire collection.
I do though enjoy their rehearsals that were also recorded but never officially released.
...I’m dreaming of a Dylan & Dead future Boxset! Oh yes, The Entire spread of the two artists coming together and what had been their created musical adventures caught on tapes spanning the entire grateful deads & Dylan’s musical career! Sometimes dreams come true! 🙏😎💀🌹
I prefer the vinyl release better , if I had to choose the best sounding Audio format, I’d go with the LP! Take care everyone, rock On!

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Off the cuff and in no particular order....probably some covers in there.

Estimated Prophet
Alabama Getaway
Morning Dew
He's Gone
Scar/Fire (love me a good Scar/Fire)
PITB
Ripple
Althea
Terrapin
Deal

Ask me again tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be different....LOL

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Thin

Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Bird Song
Uncle John's Band
China Cat/Rider
Me And My Uncle
Mama Tried
Estimated Prophet
The Eleven
Beer Barrel Polka

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

plus:
Morning Dew
Cold Rain And Snow

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yup - fun times at Sullivan Stadium. Worked the show as part of the local stage crew. Was totally sober for that fun. Helping them set up gave me a much greater appreciation into the work they did to get it "Just right" compared to all of the other shows I had worked. Stage was mechanically isolated from soundtowers, even though there appeared to be no gap. The time the audio guys spent to tweak the audio with a spectrum analyzer to get the delay speakers in sync. Watching soundcheck sitting in front of the soundboard watching them practiced and practiced "Knockin'" without Dylan on stage was impressive. Most soundchecks I witness was a fast run through of songs to make sure the sound and lighting were right. The band used the sound check for the sound and to work on the parts of the song to get their timing "Just Right".

Birdsong
Here Comes Sunshine
Box of Rain
Darkstar
Scarlet > Fire
Terrapin Station
Eyes of the World
Estimated Prophet
Cassidy
Truckin' > Other One - must have that muscular transition!

Added bonus - JGB Top 5

Mission in the Rain
Catfish John
I'll Take a Melody
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Gomorrah

....I knew this question would pop up eventually. Need to think long and hard on this one. Cumberland is in there. Will report back later on the other nine.

Thinking about it, the songs I listed are ones I like as songs - but they don't represent the Dead at their best, to me. The music I like best, as opposed to the songs, can be found in Dark Star, The Eleven, The Other One, Playing in the Band, China-Rider, Caution, and countless jams coming out of Truckin' during 1974. Try singing some of that in the shower.
My two favourite songs, as songs, are Box of Rain and Ripple.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html