• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Yesterday I blamed over my non-delivered Daves 34 ... after 47 days in limbo somewhere between US and my adress and no idea about its wherabouts. Just 4 minutes after posting my message I got a sms from Swedish postal service asking my paying an additional 17 dollar in tax for getting it delivered. Coincidence? So after 47 days and 4 minutes it finally looks like it will find its way home. Thanks for responses Daverock and hope you also will get your copy soon Gratefulgerd!

I picked up the Ralph Gleason book for nothing in a dusty store in Bangkok in 1997. A good read.

user picture

Member for

17 years

There is no such thing as a coincidence...let us know when it lands. :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I’ll cheat a bit and do some of my favourite combos

Mountains of the Moon - Dark Star
Scarlet Begonias - Fire on the Mountain
Playing in the Band (original from Ace though I like most live)
Cassidy (as above)
Help on the Way - Slipknot - Franklin’s Tower
Estimated Prophet - Eyes of the World
The Wheel
Weather Red Report Suite
The Other One
Uncle John’s Band

Like many, this will probably update by the day!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

That's probably my favorite of all of them, in a bittersweet kind of way. To me, it rings the truest, but also slightly tarnishes my Pollyannish vision of the group. The GD family dislikes that book because it relates some less-than-flattering tales, but in the books by the band members I smell some revisionist history that I don't in Scully's.

I second HEADS by Jesse Jarnow that's one of my favorites so far although not specific to the Dead they weave throughout the book.

I'm liking No Simple Highway

And was surprised by Fare Thee Well

But dammit now I want Ralph Gleason's The Jefferson Airplance & The San Francisco Sound.

Aaaarghh...

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

You can get it right on ebay, there are several copies on there. Depends how much you want it, and how much you are willing to pay. Some of the prices don't seem that outrageous to me if I really wanted it. IHeck, I would pay a thousand bucks for an unopened copy of the Fillmore West box set with the bonus disc , ( just an example I already have it) but I wouldn't pay anymore then the original asking price for the Winterland 1977 box set. It just depends on what you like and are willing to pay for it.

Gotta take a swing here, gonna cheat and do some combos:

1) Help > Slip > Franklin's
2) Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain
3) Dark Star > St. Stephen > Eleven
4) Althea
5) Eyes of the World
6) Comes a Time
7) Mission in the Rain
8) Music Never Stopped
9) Ripple
10) Unbroken Chain

Wow, really hard. No room for Sugar Mag, Other One, Wharf Rat, SOTM, Truckin, Stella Blue, Estimated, Terrapin, Box of Rain, Black Muddy, Attics, Weather Report, New Speedway, Cumberland, or Easy Wind.

Did I say top 25?

Yeah, I did a quick search and seems like going rate is around $50 used.
Unfortunately it wasn't avail at the library.

I'll add it to my list of books that I want for sure.

Have you read it? If so, worth it?

I wonder if any of that content is published somewhere else..

Thanks Man!

BTW - How come you all didn't make the 3rd show at the Greek in '85?
I've always dug that Set 2 and Cryptical break out and wish I woulda seen it, curious how you felt about it..
6/15 was ringing my bell the other day, you mentioned liking 6/14 best. Was it the company or the music?
Anyway I like em all, and always like trying to complete the set;)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Cool that this tune has made a lot of top 10 lists.

I always look for Brokedown Palace, Comes a Time and Crazy Fingers when i'm looking to listen to a show.

One of the reasons the '76 Road Trips is so great is you get a Crazy Fingers and a Comes a Time on the same release (though not the same show). And a Mission in the Rain as a nice bonus.

The greatest version of Comes a Time appears in the Orpheum Dave's Picks from a few years ago though. Wow, what a jam.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

My brother has the book, I'm interested in the Garcia interview only. I see that there is an interview on you tube that Gleason does with Garcia on 4/8/67, I'm not sure if this is what's in the book, check it out it's very cool.. Seems to me there was also an interview with Mike Bloomfield in the book and he is not to complimentary about the Dead, could be another book. I'm a huge Mike Bloomfield fan, not a big Jefferson Airplane fan, saw them play once at the Fillmore in the 1980s and I wasn't knocked out. Anyways check out that 4/8/67 Garcia interview, it's cool.

BTK - Yeah, that interview has some good stuff for sure!

Like you said, I just want the Garcia stuff, so I'm curious if that stuff is reprinted somewhere else or if I already have the interview.

It's been added to the want list, but of lower importance.

Most of the fun of Collecting is the journey.. been at it 35 years, I'm not in a big rush :)

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I just read the Top 10 lists and it got me to post for the first time in awhile. I put on the Spectrum 82 Road Trips for my commute this morning just to hear a Shakedown Street, which I will listen to on the way home (first set tunes for the morning commute). I got to thinking-- we have had 34 Dave's Picks now and he has yet to put out a Shakedown Street. This needs to be corrected in the near future. Top 10 list is impossible. I started and then realized I wasn't even past the obvious:

Dark Star
Eleven
Playin in the Band
Scarlet-Fire
Estimated
Eyes
Ripple
Easy Wind
UJB
Throwing Stones
Shakedown Street

Forget about it...impossible.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I used to go to poster shows every year when I was a kid, bought a lot of nice Dead posters. I used to go to Village Music in Mill Valley and John Goddard had everything as far as records, photos, magazines. I used to go there for blues records, and Dead related items, he had one of John Chipollina's guitars hanging up on the wall. We used to get pizza and beer across the street, then we would go across the Richmond San Rafeal bridge to Down Home Music in El Cerrito great blues, country, bluegrass music and so much more, it's still open. I don't collect anymore, but I am interested in this limited edition of the Anthem of the Sun print done by the artist Bill Walker. There are only 300 available, it's a little pricey. Check out Anthem prints .com, he gives the whole story of how he created the Anthem of the Sun cover. "There's nothing you can hold for very long" .

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

New Speedway Boogie

My first favorite Dead song, way back in junior high. Never got enough love live, imho.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Check your PMs.

Also, since no one else wants to take a stab at it, I would love it if Dave’s 35 was 8/31/80.
Or anything from ‘67-70.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

How about 10/9/82 Frost, 4/27/85 Frost, 7/13/84 Greek, or 12/28/83 S. F. Civic all killer shows! Or, put them all together and have a West Coast box set.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by billy the kid

....how no one mentioned the Annotated Lyrics by David Dodd is amazing. Tbh, I only looked back until this morning. Maybe someone already did?

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

I agree with you 100%!

At least we have had some stellar Shakedowns in the RT series and box sets.

But I do think we will see an 1980s release for #35. What year, I have no idea. Just going with my gut.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

LMG inside info guy posted DaP 35 would be Alaska 1980.

If I don't count the songs with jams (this includes the regulars people have been talking a about including Here Comes Sunshine and Truckin').

One drummer songs 71-74

Bertha
Me and My Uncle
Lovelight
Cumberland Blues
Promised Land
Cold Rain and Snow
Bird Song
Greatest Story Ever Told
Brokedown Palace
Black Throated Wind
Jack Straw
Attics of my Life
Empty Pages
Uncle John's Band
Sugar Magnolia
Wharf Rat
St. Stephen

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Go to San Francisco oh woh!

Who are the Grateful Dead

And why do they keep following me

The beat goes on

What did Delaware to the party

Idaho, Alaska

Her New Jersey

You’all are blowing my mind

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....Music Never Stopped. Thats six.
This game is weird. Right up my alley. 🤪

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....but I'm in my comfort zone here, so what the hell. If the world 🌎 listened to more of this band beyond description, it would be a better place. I get IT. Y'all get IT. GET IT!! When it clicks, it will grab you, and never let you go.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Vguy72

your picks are great and surprisingly enough I pulled out the 10-09-82 today out my magic bag of Charlie Miller remasters...great show and it was my 2nd time to the Frost...what a great facility....I had to rip my CD-R's of the show so i could drop it into my digital player for my ride into town on Friday

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Charlie Miller there are a bunch of new '87 remasters making their way around the usual bit torrent sites...

Billy the Kid..that shop sounds more like a place of worship.

Played 7/3/66 from 30 Trips yesterday- a real breath of fresh air. Great version of Tastebud, and stratospheric guitar on Viola Lee Blues. Another highlight is the always welcome Cream Puff War. Probably not on anyone's radar as a greatest song, but great nonetheless.

Skulltrip -New Speedway Boogie is a favourite of mine, too. Something of a lost classic in terms of its jamming potential.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Hello everyone in DeadHead land, hope you all are well on this beautiful day in June;) what will Dave’s 35performance be?! How about the Grateful Dead’s performance on August 3rd, 1982 in Kansas City, at the“Starlight Theater”!
Complete Set-list is below! in my opinion, it has a PRIMO Setlist & The Band we’re playing very well as was Jerry who just happened to celebrated his birthday the day before!

Set 1:
1- Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo ->
2 - Franklin's Tower ->
3- New Minglewood Blues
4- Peggy-O
5- El Paso ->
6- Cumberland Blues
7 - Althea
8- Cassidy
9- Big Railroad Blues ->
10- Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
11- Might As Well

Set 2:
12- Shakedown Street ->
13- Samson And Delilah
14- To Lay Me Down
15- Let It Grow ->
16 - Drums ->
17- Space ->
18- He's Gone ->
19 - The Other One ->
20- Stella Blue ->
21 - Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
Casey Jones

*** https://archive.org/details/gd1982-08-03.sbd.miller.77196.sbeok.flac16/
Excellent performances of
‘Althea’
‘Cassidy’
‘The Women are Smarter’
‘To Lay Me Down’
‘Let It Grow’
‘He’s Gone’
‘That’s it For The Other One’
‘Stella Blue’ & more!
If you haven’t heard this Show I would give it a spin! It’s filled with surprises! 💀🌹
Have a grateful day You’All! 🙏❤️

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Oh LMG I thought I read a post from you saying DaP 35 was Alaska 80. My bad.

After 1974 Top10 would be (list does not include The Other One, Scarlet-Fire, Estimated-Eyes, or Help-Slipknot-Franklin)

Feel Like a Stranger
Terrapin Station
The Wheel
Samson and Delilah
Touch of Grey
Need a Miracle
Stagger Lee
Cassidy
Althea
Foolish Heart
From the Heart of Me
Blow Away
Music Never Stopped
Shakedown Street
Throwing Stones

I've been waiting for DaP 35 with expectations of Alaska 80. That no longer seems to be the what's happening, my best guess is something from November 1969. That period feels due.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

DaveRock, for record collectors or just music collectors in general, Village Music was a place of worship. Type in to your computer Village Music Mill Valley and it should come up. You can see pictures of it and there is a story about it and owner John Goddard. David Grisman's kids did a documentary about the place. The owner, John Goddard knew that I collected Grateful Dead stuff, he asked me one day if I had a copy of the 45, Don't Ease Me In, because Justin Kreutzman was looking for a copy, I told him I did , so he took my phone # to give to Kreutzman. Kreutzman never called me, I would have given him the 45, make a trade for some copies of tapes out of the vault, but it never happened. Anyways, check it out, it was the place. It closed in 2007.

Between the years Dave has Picked for release, 1969-1983, every year is represented except 1982.
Strong year and some strong shows in the vault.

That being said, I’d love to hear some uncirculated gem freshly restored from once thought missing reels vs a highly circulated bootleg from a master cassette any day.

But I like the brewing excitement…

When are we gonna know more?

Whose got the inside tip, the scoop, the rumors?

BTW: BILLY THE KID keep the stories coming! I wanna see the Grisman kids documentary now.
And thanks for that Anthem Art tip.. that is dope, if I had a random $4K laying around and nothing else to spend it on I would snatch one ;)

Damn!

Also since I digressed into expensive collectibles, in regards to Favorite Books, I love Volume 1-3 of the Taper’s Compendium, they’re worth seeking out if you can get them for a reasonable price. I think they retailed for around $35 bucks BITD, but are a bit pricey now so I wasn't gonna bring them up, but they should get some love. They're amazing.

Anybody got the Taping Addendum?

Man, I want to read that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just noticed that my copy cost $0.95. Yep, 95¢. In America, if you bought it mail order from the publisher then postage was a additional 5¢. Not bad for a 380 page book.

That is the original price printed on the cover and the mail order details are inside. I got my copy in England in the early '70s. I can't remember what it cost but it was easy to order from my local bookshop as it was still in print at that time.

Based on the below I think we’ll get either Workingman’s Era or Brent Era Dead for Volume 35.

I’m pulling for the Workingman’s Era to celebrate the 50th Anniversary.

During Seaside Chat: Dave’s Picks 2020 Subscriptions on 10/29/19 Dave states and I quote:

“I like to look back on the previous year and I love this year, I love the 2019 as much as I’ve ever loved any of the years we’ve done. I really do, I think that the variety is quite perfect, it’s never gonna be absolutely perfect for everybody but I do feel that we hit every distinct era, not every distinct era, we hit most of the distinct eras in Grateful Dead history.. yada yada.. so I think we nailed a lot of things with this year."

“Looking at what we have planned for 2020… it’s gonna be an exceptionally exciting year.”

Goes on to describe eras and compare 2020 to 2019 (see below for sum up).

So Dave doesn’t come right out and say it, but IMO he implies that the 2020 release schedule will be very similar to that “perfect” format.

2019 - Eras
1977-02-26 - Volume 29 - Keith & Donna 2 Drummer Era
1970-01-02 - Volume 30 with Bonus - Workingman’s Era
1979-12-03 - Volume 31 - Brent Era
1973-03-24 - Volume 32 - Keith & Donna 1 Drummer Era

2020 - Eras
1977-10-29 - Volume 33 - Keith & Donna 2 Drummer Era
1974-06-23 - Volume 34 - Keith & Donna 1 Drummer Era
Volume 35 - Workingman’s Era?
Volume 36 - Brent Era?

I guess we’ll see.. getting pumped.

RE: SIMONROB - Lucky! $0.95 plus $0.05 for shipping. That’s not bad, not bad at all.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I played the Ovary Lodge album on the Ogun label when I heard of the death of Keith Tippet.
Having no music by Vera Lynn I can only share a joke taken from a cartoon in a recent issue of Private Eye magazine. Two people are looking at a billboard advertising a meeting of the Vera Lynn Appreciation Society. Venue: Don’t know where. Time: Don’t know when.
If you get the joke you are probably British or quite old. She was a great morale booster for people in the UK during the 2nd World War.

remember how she said that we would meet again, some sunny day...

Here's a raise of the glass to Ms. Lynn. 103!

love the joke about the VL appreciation society, Colin

her song was used to great effect at the end of "Dr. Strangelove".

and I'm a middle-aged Yank.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I'll be honest I was shocked she was still alive and made 103.

How can you not have some Vera in your stuff AND be a Pink Floyd fan?

Listening to the 1940 cut of We'll Meet Again. Next up Till There Was You.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

No mention of "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe?

C'mon people! That one's foundational.

"Growing Up Dead" by Peter Conners (author of Cornell '77) was a fun read personally, given that I grew up in the same area as the author and saw many of the shows referenced in the book. If you know what scum jumping is, you"ll like this one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Garcia & John Kahn 27 Jan. '86 The Ritz, New York City (1CD). Early pre-orders from Garcia Family Provisions get a free bonus disc of the next night's show 28 Jan. '86 from the same venue.

Billy the Kid - yes, I have just had a look, and it looks great. The kind of place I could have lost myself in for hours. Very impressive guests photographed playing there as well-Jerry/Elvis Costello and John Lee Hooker/Ry Cooder among them.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I just ordered two copies, one for me and one for my brother . Garcia acoustic, all day , everyday. Get your oreders in quick if you want that free disc.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

But I did lose my mind a bit on Dear Prudence yesterday, when Jerry and Clarence start following each other up this frenetic ascending spiral.

There has always been that idea that Keith started mimicking Jerry in the late 70's, but I've never heard it in the music. I think it was Billy who kept saying that, but then in his autobiography Billy ALSO mentions that Vince mimicked Jerry's licks toward the end, and I've also never heard that. I think Keith and Vince are getting unfairly criticized.

Keith Tippett--I didn't know he was with King Crimson, but I do have a solo free music disc of his--The Dartington Concert. Guess I'll have to put that on. R.I.P., Keith.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Soundtrack at the end of Dr. Strangelove. Riveting! Vera Lyn, 103 wow!
Strange, yesterday I’m thinking about the cover of Anthem of the Sun and then I read Billy the Kids post. Then a few minutes ago I get the email for Jerry Garcia 14 with bonus and I order two. Then I log on here and see Y’all talking about it. Must be from laying off the pot for a few weeks. Strange dreams and moments of clairvoyance.
I must have been at some of the same Grateful Dead concerts as some of you. Sharing auric space.
Hey just thought of good Weird Al Yankovich style line. “Well I like it a lot , cause I’m on the pot”. Not to worry. Had to quit drinking over 17 years ago because it was making me real ugly. Not a drop, without AA even. Will power baby. And I like taking extended periods of time off from smoking the sacred herb. Like the time I bucked the trend and didn’t smoke ganja or even drink beer or any alcohol from December 1998 until January 2000, partly because of the Prince song . Gonna party like its 1999. Now Sheila E the timbale player for Prince was hot on all levels. The niece of Coke Escovedo of Santana fame. By the way Jorge Santana , Carlos’ younger brother died a few weeks back. Saw Jorge play with the Santana band in 1992 in Las Cruces during the Supernatural tour. Jorge was a major part of the Bay Area band Malo.

Peace out, not piece out

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Strider, great to see some love here for Ms Vera Lynn and that oh, so perfect cinematic pairing from Stanley Kubrick's twisted genius mind. And she was immortalized again by Roger Waters and Pink Floyd on The Wall:
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
Vera, Vera
What has become of you
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do?

Amazing all that she lived through, and that she had a number one album not that long ago, and another top 10 album celebrating her 100th birthday.

Congrats on the avoidance of the liquor! I myself discovered that alcoholism ran in my family, and that I had it not long after I turned 21, so I actually quit drinking about 6 weeks after. I had been able to buy liquor without being ID'd when I was 18, so I got a few years in, and found not a need for it, but if I was gonna drink, it was gonna be epic. About ten years after I quit, I drank one bottle of Crown Royal and one bottle of Goldschlager over like a week or so. And just literal sips for toasts, ceremonies, etc. I didn't need AA, either, but I was lucky to see the pattern in the family and got out before I ever grew to like it. Sort of like with beer; never could take the taste of it, said that to my dad once, he said you gotta acquire a taste for it, I told him I'd rather not acquire a taste for piss. (Hence my complete absence from the beer talks that went on, knowing nothing about them apart from my dislike.)

Thanks for the heads up on Jerry 14, and bonus! That assures my early bird buying. Wonder if there's any tribute to the Challenger on the bonus night? Probably not, as Jerry wasn't big for topical events and downers. I remember watching it live and won't ever forget it. I found out a few years ago that my grandparents attended the launch, and my grandma had photos she had taken. She never showed them to us, I only found them after my dad passed.

Need to relisten to this DaP and bonus again, did just finish a relisten to DaP 7/31/74, and wow, I forgot what a great show that is!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

AMC theaters are opening 600 movie theaters around the U.S. july 15th, so they say, which means muatm August 1st.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

....strider knows his stuff. Hot indeed.
I've never heard of Jack Hardy until now. You guys are amazing.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html