• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

This show would make a great release. It could be released at the same time as 2/17/79, another great show. Keith and Donna's last show, released with Brent's first show. Both of these shows are winners.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

It was nice to hear Dave say there is still plenty of top notch stuff left in the vault....with no end in sight. Hopefully plenty that I’ve never laid ears on. I do hope we get 4/17/71 someday soon! Pigs best show in my opinion.

Dave’s comment did get me thinking. At what point do you guys think we will start to see recycling of previously released material? By this I mean, the release of a full show that has already been partially released. Example would be a full show release of 6/18/74, any of 74 farewell shows, or 9/19 or 20/90. Yes the Dark Star > US Blues from this Show is on SMR, but only 19 minutes. So, I don’t think this one falls in to that category.

Part of me would welcome it so I could have the full show. Another part of would feel somewhat taken advantage of.

Thoughts?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Thanks Unkle Sam for the nice post on Earth Day and some background on the Jai Alai Fronton. Its been a beautiful spring our way and have been spending a lot of garden time these past few weeks in the isolation mode. Nearby plant nurseries closed, so no tree buying for now, but I do have 2 or 3 peach pits that I want to plant, and today would be a perfect day. They came from another volunteer peach, a tiny little tree. Last year it had a few peaches, and they were quite possibly the best I've ever eaten. The flesh was an incredible magenta color, like nothing I've seen before. We don't get peaches every year because of late frost, but fingers crossed. From the photos I've seen Jai Alai Fronton looks like an absolutely wild venue to have seen a show, especially a Wall of Sound Show. So far I haven't seen any photos of the WoS from these shows, maybe there's some with the release. '74 always high of my list, totally psyched. Now just need for Dave to set free the International Amphitheater show from July!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I see a couple themes to Dave L's madness in selecting releases, some he has stated, others I (think) I observe.

Dave has said that the prevalence of a certain tape among collectors would not keep him from releasing a show for which he has a master in good shape. To wit: Red Rocks July '78, Cornell, '77, etc.

When Dave sees a rarity roll in with returned tapes, he's sometimes quick to release it. When MG returned some tapes (I believe this was the stash), Dave "swiftly" (within a year or so?) released 4-18-70 of acoustic Dead with a solo Pigpen set. I'm trying to think of another example.... maybe if I remember correctly DaPs 6, 10, 19, and 30 (late '69, early '70) -- call that an example where returned tapes got released over a pretty long span of time. Not sure whether the Warfield acoustic sets released for RSD last year were always in the vault or were "returned tapes." I'd guess the former, as I think we heard they were the only complete acoustic shows still extant.

Dave has several means of delivering small surprises: RSD, vinyl (damn I want that polished up Oct '68 tape going out with the "graphic novel"), and the 50th anniversary re-releases.

On that last front, the tracks offered on the 1st LP (an entire '66 show), Anthem (a full set from Anthem's formative period) and Aoxomoxoa (various tracks across three nights). Also on the rerelease of WD and AB long ago, Dave released individual, related tracks from a much longer span of shows. Wondering what he'll do with 1970's scarcity of tapes regarding the upcoming re-re-release of WD and AB.

DaP series offers an opportunity for relatively random picks, while the boxes have ranged from multi-year set at Giants Stadium to the PNW theme (another location-based selection) to the relatively recently returned June '76 shows. Another relevant element, to my mind: Dave is, however loosely, keeping an eye on long stretches in which no tapes have been released, so to fill in the historical record -- where possible, while ignoring mid-80s perhaps due to recording quality. Yet he also has to keep his powder dry by conserving a few '67, '68 and '70 tapes that he'll want to sprinkle over the years. He doesn't want to run out of a certain year, though he's obviously milked early '72 for all it's worth with the Academy compilations and the E72 box.

So Dave likes to mix it up. And getting legal clearances may be a long-term project, ala 6-10-73.

Plus, consider the wealth of material that Dave has at his fingertips. There are multiple written guides to the choice shows, he has a confidential circle that includes Blair Jackson, Nick Meriwether, David Gans, etc. for suggestions. And as Dave navigates the vault, he has to consider which shows might be held back for a box and which runs will be divvied up for individual DaPs.

Sheet, he must be having fun. Throw in the video archives and Bolo's occasional teases. Bam, that makes our guesswork nigh impossible. We also don't know what's in the vault versus circulating tapes. But in some cases we do. There are some unplumbed depths in that vault. Two are early-mid April '71 and Sept-Oct 1972 (hint hint).

Any thoughts, anyone?

I, for one, would not at all mind a full show such as 6/18/74, of which I have the Road Trips excerpt edition, containing some 'recycling,' being released as a DaP or otherwise, as it would be a supreme official selection as a complete performance, and may benefit subtly (or more) from potential mastering advances since its release. Can't think of any other examples off the top of my mind right now, but a full epic show should NOT be held back as a release due to previous official excerpts. Well, actually one example- this Miami show!! I'm so glad that the fact that a bit of it got released on So Many Roads did not prevent its official release. For '74 in particular, I've been thrilled by nearly every release so far in this or the other series.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I don't think that's it, this show has been around for years, everyone has some kind of copy of this show, bootleg or archive release or downloaded from etree, or an old tape maybe, but most of us have a copy of this show. This could be the reason it's not sold out yet, with so many of us deadheads at home, this should have been sold out in hours, but it's not. I would love to see an 80's show for 35 (1980 is one of my favorite years). Or a fall 72 show, or a europe 81 show (Barcelona) or europe 90 show, or a killer 69 show. So many possibilities, so much to chose from, Dave has a difficult but glorious job.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

4 come to mind
4/5/69 LATVALA
5/18/77
7/13/84
9/26/91

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think we've fallen into somewhat of a pattern, where the first two shows are heavy hitters to attract interest in subscriptions, and the third pick of the year is something off the beaten path a bit, which is fine with me.

The 2018 3rd slot release was Boise '83 and the 3rd slot 2019 release was the Uptown '79 show. I wouldn't be surprised to get a Fall/Winter '90 show or an '80s show for the next pick.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Indeed, expect a wodgit for 3rd release and to cover for that dip in excitement, we'll be induced to be excited by the WD and AB releases as well as a possible preorder announcement for something to drop in the fall. Then Dave'll drop a big show for the fourth release to finish the year of DaPs.

If three out of four DaPs each year are killer, I'm game for "filler." The '83 and '79 did not cut the mustard, for me. Your mileage may vary.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I wonder when 3/1/69 will be released on lp? Gosh, there are all kinds of box sets I would love to see released. A 67, 68, & 69 box with two shows from each year would be cool. Again, I would love to see Oct 74 at Winerland and April 71 at the Fillmore East both be released as all complete shows. I don't care that alot of this material has already been released, these would sell out in a flash.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Selling out fast, Medium and 2X xtra large all ready sold out, get em before they are gone, gone, gone.

Yes. I would love the re-release/full release of some stuff that has only been partially released. Assuming they have it: Fillmore '70 (Dick's #4), April '71 (Skull & Roses, Ladies & Gentleman), October '74 (GD Movie, GD Movie Soundtrack), Warfield/NYC '80 Acoustic shows (Reckoning, Dead Set, Dead Ahead), Alpine '89 (Downhill, various Meetup at the movies). Those jump out immediately.

There is precedent (Europe '72, 100 Year Hall, Rockin the Rhein, the 4CD England '72 release, then all of it). There has been some bonus disc stuff that later got fully released (Williamsburg '76?).

How to do it is the question. The Closing of the Fillmore East (plus maybe West as well on 7-2) have enough shows that there is still a significant amount of unreleased stuff. Ditto the '74 and '80 runs. A Meetup video box would do for Alpine.

For 2/13-14/70, a lot would be repetitive between DiPi#4 and Bear's Choice, even if you throw in 2/11. Maybe release 2/11 as a stand alone and throw in filler + a bonus disc to try and complete 2/13-14. I am for more filler in general. Could use it to start completing stuff that was partially released earlier (Boston 74, lots of Road Trips, 9/20/90 comes to mind).

Or perhaps as part of Workingman's/AB 50th stuff? I'd buy a big deluxe box with Workingman's, 2/11, 2/13, and 2/14.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Anything that can benefit from being Plangentized and remastered should be.

Can you imagine 6-28-74 in fully Plangentized glory?
(Picture Homer Simpson with drool running out of his mouth)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

I would guess this is the Brent/Bruce/Vince show, if there is going to be one this year.

If not, then it is Pig.

We have already had a '77, a '74, and a June '76 box. All Keith & Donna so far. Nothing wrong with that. '72-78 (with a splash of late '71 and early '79) is primo stuff. But '68-'71, '79-'80, '89-'91, and jolts of other stuff is pretty good too.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I'm more jonesing for this sonically upgraded version of a show I've had and loved for 20 years. Did notice the patch in WRS, but otherwise, the sound is glorious on tiny tablet speakers. I doubt there's any '74 fatigue. They bumped the numbers up quite a bit, and DeKalb took a good while to sell out. The argument for '77 fatigue was offered then, but I think it's more the numbers. Resellers may have seen the prices not following those first 4's incredible rise and instead of buying up the remainders quickly, have decided to stay with what they have, instead of buying them all up. Which should be good news for Deadheads.

On the idea of the lesser third Pick, there does seem to be a dropoff in the last 2 Picks. But it's not a rule, and is certainly subjective. My favored Picks tend to be 1st or 2nd of the year, but DaP 11 11/17/72 was a third Pick, DaP 16 3/28/73 was a fourth, DaP 19 1/23/70 was a third, DaP 23 1/22/78 was a third, DaP 24 8/25/72 batted cleanup. My least favorite DaPs are all in the back half of the year, though I also didn't care too much for DaP 22 12/7/71. I think they do a really smart thing in announcing those initial Picks, and it's also smart to release the less vaunted shows later in the year.

Also, there's a lot of Road Trips, Download Series, and Dick's Picks I'm just not that into. Some hit home more than others, some are simply better shows. This will always hold true. Except when it doesn't.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

always great to read all the shows and years everyone likes and dislikes...imo pretty tired of the 70-74 Daves Ps.
Where is some 80s love ? Only 3 out of the entire series, there are some gems yet to be made into a Daves P..

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by fatmanmelts

Blasphemy I say.. (kidding), to each his/her own. I've been on a bit of an 80's binge lately, I get it. ..but one of my first loves was 1974 Grateful Dead and whenever I listen to it.. it takes me to a comfortable place.

After all these years, I've still got nothing but love for 1974.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Just happen to be listening to 10/25/89 Miami, FL tonight...a very cool "Playin>UJB>Playin"...overall interesting show/set list...stellar audio.

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-10-25.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.8339…

1989 has long been one of my favorite tours...Warlocks at Hampton...Trucking up to Buffalo on July 4th....what's not to like?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Totally forgot DaP 15 anniversary is today. I still have time, working OT. Then in two days it's Back to Normal with the Grateful Dead (aka DaP 7).

I listened to Rockin' The Rhein today. Man, I love these E72 Lovelights too. The 5/24 Lovelight is a Bonus Track on the Rhein CD. Jimbo - I saw your comment on HYH and Bickershaw Lovelights. You guys have to catch Pigpen's 5/24 final Lovelight, if not the entire thing, just tune in at the 10 minute mark and listen to the "doot doot doo" riff with Pigpen improving about his busted up heart. It goes on for almost a minute. This hook really sunk its teeth into me when I was turning Dead.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yeah I hear ya Jim, love some 73-74 (watkins glen 73', new yrs with allmans @ cow, kentucky 74', etc come to mind..) did anyone ever release the cow show? just asking DaveL get more 80s released as Dave Ps enough with the 74..
How about 10.14 84 Hartford ? Gem right there .

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

but it would be nice to see something other than the 70's.
I do love it all but variation is the spice of life.

Also, I'm wondering if 34 not being sold out yet has to do with the current state of the unknown that has become the daily norm now. People might be hesitant right now to purchase this for fear of all our collective economic futures. Especially if you've had a good/great copy for years. Who knows????
Be safe...be smart...be kind.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I have never heard this show, looks interesting and I have seen numerous requests on these threads to get this show released, so I have pretty high hopes. After those stellare Eyes from the PNW box, I'm looking forward to getting another one on the bonus disc and the instrumental Dark Star piques my curiousity as well. Dig that cover art too.

Last Few
Hooteroll? - Howard Wales and Jerry Garcia
Just For Love - Quicksilver Messenger Service, I think I recall seeing some recent comments to the effect that someone only liked the first two QSMS albums, but I dig this album a lot and Cobra and Fresh Air alone make it worth a listen. Trivia point - Dan Healy is listed as Engineer "Wired Wizard" on the album credits.
Garcia - Jerry Garcia, my favorite studio release from Jerry, although it's really almost like a stealth Grateful Dead album like Bob Weir's Ace.
One of These Nights - Eagles
One From the Vault 8/13/75 - Grateful Dead, been a while since I listened to this, really a fantastic show, that Help-Slip-Franklin's is sublime and the Eyes is a gem as well.
Grow Towards the Light - Dire Wolves, some cool, trippy grooves.

I suspect that JRF is right about the current state of affairs having an impact on the rate of sales for this release, seems pretty likely. The future's uncertain and the end is always near...or so I've heard.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

A good natured volley where everyone (I think) wins. If I have learned anything from these threads, it's that jrf is as avid a fan as any of us, and a good guy to boot so I always listen...

I have a love hate relationship with 80's releases. To cut to the chase, I think for the cassette masters, the Charlie Millers often sound as good (or better) than what has been officially released. The issues are likely many, did they record with Dolby, if so, which version.. pitch issues, how loud was the audience mic (Healy Ultra Mix) baked into master.. etc.

Jeffrey Norman clearly graduated from Hogwarts and has achieved wizard status.. his bag of tricks is pure sorcery.. but there is work to be done on the cassette master years.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I hope these comments are viewed as intended. Positive and forward thinking. Some of the best 80's soundboards have made their way to us by now too.. almost all of my favorites, must have's have actually been officially released by now (most.. but several must have's await). But there is hope, RFK a couple years ago, and how about Giants Stadium? That was a fantastic release.

I think HendrixFreak really hit the nail on the head on his post early today in one of these threads.. And although he did not mention 80's releases it was implied and I agree with the spirit of his post. We will get more 80's releases, they will be sprinkled in with the general mix. I think there is a bit of shrewd marketing and supply / demand mixed in with the fruit punch. Rhino and Dave are paying attention to the overall wants vs. what is decent and left in the vault. They have a long term plan, and I do believe they are doing an ok job.

Peace all.. in this world of trouble, we've got love one another.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I bet they keep this number for 2021 releases. If you don't subscribe you have some time to buy it. Gone are the days when you had to be at your computer at 1 to get it or it would be sold out by 115... Springfield 4/23/77 anniversary going to listen now.... another show where i like the audience tape better. Keith sounds amazing on this show, Row Jimmy!! Stay safe.... bob t

Agree, 22,000 seems like a good number and #33 took about a month to sell out, which, like others have said is a good development for the ala cart buyers.
74 or 77 fatigue? I don't think so.
9 years of Dave's Picks has shown us one thing for sure, this series is primarily 70s and 60s releases with a few early 80s.
I don't think we will see a 91 show released as a Dave's Pick.

I would love to see more later era shows released, but it just is not going to happen with Dave's Picks.

They have released a few 89 shows as stand alone releases, think Nightfall of Diamonds, Trucking up to Buffalo, CW&I.

Release more of these shows as stand alone releases, or how about trying out the digital downloads again? It has been 14 years, might be time to try again and they could tailor it to the later era.

Be well all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That’s a good sounding recording. And I really like the Deep Elem.

No 70’s fatigue at my house, but I like all years and am on board with some variety.

So Dave, let’s get 10-31-91 Normanized and released.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I for one certainly hope this will continue to be the slot of the year we're we get an early 1980s show, gosh know we haven't gotten many! Obviously, Dave picks are completely biased to 1969-1978- but I would think #35 will fill the early 1980s slot for the year. If you think about it not even half way through 2020, and Dave etc. has already completely overdone(imho) the 1970s period yet again....so far this year already: 5- shows from 1976, 1.5 shows from 1974, and yet another show from 1977. You know we are also going to get companion live 1970-1971 shows for the 50th anniversary deluxe editions of Amer Beauty & Workmn Dead. SO JUST MAYBE we can fit in both Dave Picks(35-36) as an unprecedented two(!) 1980s dave picks in 2020...of course it's never happened- but one can hope!

I think #35 could be 3-9-81, I would prefer 3-10-81...or just ANY 1981. I think the hopeful favorite for an early-80s pick is 7/13/84, we'll see ; )

Now one caveat to my comments, maybe we have been inundated with mid-1970s releases in the first half of 2020 because the rumors are true, and the 2nd half of 2020 will produce the other box set for 2020 - FALL 1980! This box set will of course need time to breath per Dave, just as 1976 did

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Its obvious that there is a lot of pent up demand for later era releases. If sound quality from the cassette masters is a hold up, then perhaps a lower tier budget line of releases is called for. Call it Dave's Discount Picks. Available for download or CDs printed up on demand.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

74 DS etc, boo-yah!!!!! Hopefully then International sooner than later...really stoked for this one!

80s: I’m down with anything that’s a KILLER SHOW that SOUNDS GOOD for the APPLICABLE FORMAT. (apples to apples, not apples to Oranges, why bother?)
Personally that criteria is more important than others. Of course there’s nothing like a full Norman Beatty board etc, but I can get just as high off a 80s Matrix that fulfills this criteria. Alas, though there are many great shows, quality sources of course are the issue. But I bet there’s more in the vault from the 80s/90s then perhaps we know. Not a ton, but enough that one way or another, they could give us somewhat regular offerings.
The wild card of course is the fall 80 shows (are there usable tapes or not?), and there is a bunch of great shows still from second half of 89 on multitrack....SPECTRUM 89 Dave Por Favor!!
Other WC is are there early 80s Beatty’s etc....perhaps this has been answered definitively here and my self induced senility has removed from memory, (please pardon if so), but my recollection is that there is confusion and unknown about this?...

I still think if they tried the matrix approach, they could perhaps up the useable material spectrum?. Plus, as more Don Pearson tapes surface, theoretically there could be some shows that could perhaps get a Vulcan mind meld of some sort of Healy-Pearson, or Healy-Pearson-Audience matrix? Hey, a girl can dream eh!
90s: ...curious if they multi-tracked at all for possible live set at any point? I’ve enjoyed the 91 releases and most sound good to awesome...
Hey if nothing else, most of the stuff we’ve gotten from the 80s and 90s has been enjoyable enough, regardless of source. “A little bit o something is better than all of nothing”....(please excuse if I’ve missed something?)
1980:
1 - RT 3.4 (5/7& p/o 6/80): Great
2- Go to Nassau: great, but chop job
3- 9/2/80: great but supposedly only that last part is in vault?
4- DL V7 (9/3&4/80): decent
5- 10/9&10/80 Acoustic: Awesome! Is there more??
6&7- Go to Heaven & Reckonong: Great. is there more?
8- 30T (11/28/80): great
9- DaP 8 (11/30/80) great
So of course, what about Gainesville? or.....
8/30/80 & 10/14/80: these are listed on that Dave’s wish list? that someone reposted here not to many months ago from when Dave’s first started.....
1981:
1- DP 13 (5/6/81): good
2- 30T (5/16/81) good, but should of used next night in Syracuse, smokin! Jer’s on fire!
3- DaP 20 (12/9/81: decent? Wonder about this show choice....like how’s bout,
9/26/81? He’s played this one on XM etc numerous times?
Plenty of great 81 shows, what about sources?
1982:
1- RT 4.4 (4/6& p/o 5/82): good
2- 30T 7/31/82: good
3- DP 32 (8/7/82: good
1983:
1- DaP 27 (9/2/83): good
2- DP 6 (10/14/83): Great show, don’t feel the recording does it justice.....but I’m biased on this one...
3- 30T (10/21/83): good or ? not familiar enough yet with this one...
1984:
1- 30T (10/12/84): great
10/9/84 & 11/2/84 are on that Dave’s list?
1985:
1- 30T (6/24/85): awesome
2- DP 21 (11/1/85): Good, but so many better 85 shows....
1- 1986: 30T (5/3/86) haven’t heard this one yet...
1987:
1- G.B. (7/12/87): awesome
2- Vault View 4 (7/24&26/87): awesome
3- 30T (9/18/87): haven’t heard yet...
- VV 3 Bonus (10/3/87): good
4- NYE DVD (12/31/87): good
1988:
1- DL 5 (3/27/88): awesome show, mediocre recording?
2- RT 4.2 (4/1 & p/o 3/31/88): great
3- 30T (7/3/88): great
7/29/88 on Dave’s list?
1989:
1- DL 9 (4/2&3/89): good shows, mediocre sound
2- DVD/CD 7/4/89: awesome!
3- DVD/CD 7/7/89: awesome!
4- G.B (7/8&9/89): awesome!
5- RFK (7/12&13/89): great
6- DVD (7/17/89) awesome show, needs upgrade, and where’s the rest of Alpine?
7- Warlocks (10/8&9/89) awesome!
8- NFoD (10/16/89): awesome! Most underrated GD live release imho...
9- 30T (10/26/89): awesome!
What about Philly!
1990: tons of great shit released already...
1991: 6+ shows, all good or better...
6/22/91 & 9/26/91 on Dave’s list?
1992: 2+: both good
1993: 2+: decent
3/27/93 & 9/13/93 on Dave’s list?
1994&95: only 1 per year (30T): haven’t gotten to these yet...
Ready or Not: good/decent performances ...most sounds good....perhaps there is at least a usable show or 2?

So yes, many years underrepresented, and yes, good sources harder to come by, but as this list shows there are perhaps more possibilities available then one might think. So if their at least this good, keep em coming Dave! And thanks for all the great shows no matter what year!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

… Got email about a 6 night stream run of Joe Russo (Oct 2017 run). You can watch all 6 nights for 60 bucks. Went looking to see if I had shows in stock and didn't. Just for the hell of it went to Nugs to see what a download of show would cost as mp3. Damn things were FREE!!! Maybe it's just the audience recording that's out on the archive, maybe not. Only listened to 2 seconds before I said, it's FREE, and started the download. Don't know how many ever go there but I've been pleasantly surprise several times by what I can get from them free. But if you like JRAD, here's 6 free ones!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I don’t believe that I intentionally provide contrary opinions just to stir the pot, although my opinions are not always shared by the majority.
Regarding the future release of shows, I do have a theory I’ve not heard. And that is, it seems to me most of the hardcore ‘60’s/early ‘70’s fans are on the older side of folks on this site. Since those of us(let’s say 60 & older) will likely not live as long as the rest, get those early releases out to those fans while you can. For the younger fans(who DO seem to be most vocal about ‘80’s/‘90’s shows), they’ll be around longer, and Dave will be able to keep the releases coming for a lot longer period of time.
I’m not one to argue which is better, because better is what YOU prefer, and it varies. I think that for us older folks, we may prefer earlier shows because that’s when we got on the bus.
And the same goes for the younger, “later years” folks. I agree that a great show from ANY year is worth having, but the current model is perhaps best for longevity.
In any case, keep ‘em coming!!
I need MORE shows!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I think this song is absolutely fantastic! The lyrics are so cool. The version on the original mix of Aoxomoxoa sounds so much better then the remixed version. The Dead only played it one time live in 1969. What a cool tune.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

The most valid argument I have heard was posted a few years ago by a guy who owns (or owned) a used record store. He was very clear in stating that the music from the 60s and 70s sold much faster and at higher prices than the later years. TPTB don’t care about your favorite era or which ones you think are underrepresented. They are in the business of selling music.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just thinking out loud after a good Jack Straw.

Mr. Ones, you may be right in general about the younger crowd liking the 80s stuff better, but I'm under 50 and I prefer the 60s and 70s. I didn't read far enough back to see any "contrarian" comments, but I know you and I are on the same page here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrg-RgF5F8o

I can't wait any longer. At first it was just the unreleased Dark Stars and a show or two. Now I'm full-on soundboard. The '72 Dead at Long Beach (12/12) - unreal Playing in the Band and from Truckin' to the end. Now I have on Roosevelt from July 25th '72. In addition to the regular show on archive, I found a matrix of just Dark Star that is really nice.

I was able to get in the Sleeper of '78 (DaP 15 - I called it 14 last nght in it's entirety except LLR because I've actually SEEN street cats f***ing, quite by accident, and it's a memory I don't like to evoke. It feels like the Colgate show to me for some reason, maybe the tone of the recording.

After that I did May 1977 (5th Show) Tuscaloosa 5/17. Yeeeeeah. I have a lot of favorites, but this Scarlet Fire is one of the longest and one of the bestest. AND it's the quacking duck version. Hmmm, dare I dig up the quacking duck interview with Jerry?

Today I gave Rhein another listen and Berkeley 8/25. Wow. If you want to hear Bobby in his prime, go no further than The Other One on the Dave's Picks Berkeley show. I have no idea what the number is. I just call it "This Ain't Kentucky Man!" after Jerry cuts off Bobby mid-sentence. Anyway, Bobby comes in loud and clear with that beautiful
sounding Gibson ES-335 and he plays some great chops.

This is going to be a great Dave's Picks no doubt.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

12/26/81
Oakland Auditorium Arena - Oakland, CA

Brief comments: setlists alone don't tell the story. The boys come out with their pants on fire! The opening segue smokes. Jer does a beautiful Candyman and a surprise/unique Big Boss Man. The jamming is great, the show flows and I have no idea if the tape is in the vault, but my aud gets a lot of action. Marye has said she was at this show and concurs on its hotness.

And yes, Mr. One, I have often said here that the older heads - I started at the shows at 15 in '72 and I'll be 63 this summer, gods be willing - and I'm not sure how long I'll care. Age has a way of turning corners on my outlook. I could see another ten years of interest...
Set 1:
Alabama Getaway
Promised Land
Candyman
Little Red Rooster
Big Boss Man
Me And My Uncle
Big River
Bird Song
It's All Over Now
Big Railroad Blues
Let It Grow
Set 2:
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Estimated Prophet
He's Gone
Drums
The Eleven Jam
Truckin'
Black Peter
Around And Around
One More Saturday Night
Encore:
Don't Ease Me In

12/31/82 is a hoot as well. The first set is Joan Baez, sort of loosely backed by the GD in some parts. Some encore on this one.

12/31/81
Oakland Auditorium Arena - Oakland, CA
Set 1:
Land Of A Thousand Dances
Do Right Woman
The Boxer
Tunisian New Year Song
Me & Bobby McGee
Bye Bye Love
Lucifer's Eyes
Children Of The 80's
Banks Of The Ohio

Set 2:
Shakedown Street
Me And My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
Cold Rain And Snow
C.C. Rider
It Must Have Been The Roses
Beat It On Down The Line
Big Boss Man
New Minglewood Blues
Don't Ease Me In

Set 3:
Iko Iko
Playin' In The Band
Terrapin Station
Playin' In The Band
Drums
The Other One
Not Fade Away
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Morning Dew

Encore:
Dark Star
Bertha
Good Lovin'
Baby Blue

….and while we are at it, 12/31/82 is a tower of power of fun.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

A Day at the Dentist. An all time classic into the Eleven jam. Even my kids ask me to play that one. Great stuff.

Much like Keithfan, I am well under 60 and only saw the band from the early 80s on. I rarely listen to anything after the 70s. When I do, it is always a song or two (like the sequence referenced above). Never a full show.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Likewise here.
Under 60. Started seeing shows in the 80s. Rarely venture past the 70s, especially for full shows.
When I do, it's only for a specific song or two (such as the Shakedown>Jack Straw from 7/9/89).
Categorize me as you will.

On a side note, 2/22/69 really is something special. Always sounds fresh even after hearing it a hundred times.

If anyone is interested there's a new batch of Charlie Miller remastered '91 shows making the rounds at all the usual spots...

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

check your inbox :)

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Daves Picks #34 starts shipping today ! So grateful things are running on time from the Dead Team, bless them all.
Next USPS takes over, praying everyone parcel arrives safely to your addresses.
Rock on my brothers and sisters, Have a Grateful Day!🙏❤️😎
Also the sound quality of Daves 34 taken from the Wall is Beyound Primo, It’s Heavenly sounding! The Mixit top notch Normain! One of the best sounding releases in the Whole Daves Picks series and in my opinion the grateful dead’s Entire discography !!! Killer from start to finish. No skipping songs on these disc , unless you’re not a Seastones fan, that might be heard the most among all the reviews and thoughts n majority of the Grateful Dead fans and collectors 💀🌹
💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I would love another 78’ Daves Picks in the Series! 💀🌹

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

So LMG gets his Dave's Picks a week early every time? He's already listened to the discs and can attest to their sound quality? How does that happen? People have already received shipping notifications?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Alright Carlo I didn't need that much encouragement.....

QUACK....QUACK.....QUACK. QUACK, QUACK-QUACK-QUACK. What was that!? Oh..Quacking Duck Fire on the Mountain, Tuscaloosa, 5/17. That's right - the immortal Scarlet / Fire that was so good even Jerry regretted it. Recalling that performance years later, Jerry reflects....

"I was chilling out, taking it easy up there after the transition into Fire on the Mountain, and... a nice buzz started creeping in after a fan passed a joint our way...that happened all the time in those days, where they'd spark one up and hand it off to one of our security guys; and then Ramrod or Bear or one of those guys would get a hold of it for "testing" - their words, not mine - and it eventually made its way to us."

"After the intense Scarlet performance, I thought it would be a hoot to ease back and play to this great buzz I was feeling, which was really not an unusual thing for us...and you have to understand, I use the Mu-tron on tunes like Fire on the Mountain and Estimated Prophet, you know, to get a little bit more of a snarky sound than just a traditional wah wah pedal. On that particular night, in the light haze of a cool buzz, the Mu-Tron ended up sounding like a duck-call of sorts."

"I didn't think much of it at the time....but as it turned out, within the tape trading circles (which had blossomed into full swing that Spring), it simply came to be known as 'Quacking Duck' Mountain. After that show in Tuscaloosa, people would start hollering 'Duck! Duck!' every time we grooved our way into Fire on the Mountain...and it was really just...I mean what else can I do? Bring a monkey onstage? It came to be expected, like Townshend and the guitar smashing; and people got upset when I wouldn't do it. I know how he felt - 'Smash your guitar Pete, smash your guitar!' Well, what you have to realize, is that it's the spontaneity of a moment like that which makes it special; and you can't just REPRODUCE spontaneity man - it's a paradox, you dig? 'Play Quacking Duck Jerry, play Quacking Duck!' I'm sorry, I can't do it. It got to be a weight around our necks, but eventually we moved on."

"Tuscaloosa was the only time I ever did it, and to be sure, I did see a line of fuzzy little yellow ducks marching across stage...It was weird man, really really weird...beyond the pale..."

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html