• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not sure if the negative rebuttals regarding the Boss are directed at me? But I feel I need to reply.
First, I said more positive things about him than negative. I emphatically stated he’s a great songwriter, entertainer/performer, storyteller, and that my understanding was that Born in the USA was a anti jingo song.
I also, like others, mentioned that his awesome talent is not so much as a musician, (meaning comparatively to say JG), but with these above mentioned awesome skills.
What I did say was that I’m just not a big fan, especially of the band, and more specifically I’ve never liked their sound. Jerry once said he couldn’t get into the Doors because they sounded too brittle to HIM....does that mean he’s just using a pejorative generalization? NO, it just means he didn’t like the way they sounded so couldn’t really get past that!
Same here folks! In fact if anyone is making generalizations it was not me. Some Rubes said some unsubstantiated down and dirty things about Bruce, but I actually tried to explain WHY I don’t like their sound, and thus have never been able to move past that, and therefore,.....here’s the funny part, the point I was ironically, really trying to express was how much his on Broadway solo performance on Netflix blew me away and changed my perspective!
So to assume I’ve never listened (I’ve listened to Bruce for over forty years wether I wanted to or not on the radio or elsewhere, including living with the misses for 23 years as she’s a huge fan!), so to make such an assumption : that I’ve not listened and thus don’t know what I’m talking about, just because I have a difference of opinion, is actually doing exactly what your accusing me of!
Also, I don’t think I was shitting on anything, and if I was, I apologize. I admit I could of been a tad less harsh, but if you know me that was some-what exaggerated for humorous affect, and yes, to hopefully elicit more discourse?
So I’m totally bummed that my personal colorful critique of a 80s pop band caused such a reaction. And yes, I understand most of his best work was before then, and he continued to do so well after the 80s, but to me, sorry, when somebody mentions Bruce, that’s my first thought, that Born in the USA thin pop sound, with no improvisation or any of the things I find important in music. And so yes, as people often do so as to hopefully make a point without having to ramble on like this and micro explain, I used a general phrase, wedding band, to make a point, but I can certainly continue to pontificate why I don’t like their sound etc if you like, but hopefully I’ve made my point. Simply, my personal opinion of WHY I don’t like them, so what?
Because as most here know, opinions are like A-holes, everyone’s got one, but some of ours work too much...
Again, I apologize for the way I expressed my opinion, but not that I expressed one. I mean come on, that’s a lot of what we do here, we express our thoughts, and hope we get positive feedback, or respectful discourse, which to me can be just as fun, bantering differing ideas about, than everybody always agreeing about everything....
So Mr Ones et el, I totally agree with everything you said up until you personally insulted me!
Buts it’s ok, it’s all good, I can take criticism. I’ve been taking it my whole life. It’s part of being a fuck up LOL
So peace be with you as LMG would say, and again, please except my apologies if I’ve offended anyone!

user picture

Member for

8 years

WORKINGMAN'S DEAD (50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION)

...*** FOR THE COMMITTED
AND THE CURIOUS
Gather round every Thursday as we tell the tales of Grateful Dead days of yore! The Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast, the first official podcast of the Grateful Dead, is devoted to exploring the music and mythology behind one of the most enduring, progressive, and influential bands in the history of recorded music. Here, we invite you to delve into the band’s enormous mythology in digestible chunks. Think you know it all? We'll probe corners of the band’s history you never knew existed. No topic will be off limits.
Hosts Rich Mahan and Jesse Jarnow will take the lead, picking up special guests from the Dead universe along the way. Upcoming episodes will feature interviews with Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, David Nelson, Bill “Grateful Red” Walton and Trixie Garcia, amongst many others.
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, we're kicking things off with an eight-episode arch that examines each song on the album individually.
May the long strange trip continue across the pod! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I honestly don’t think anyone was out of line expressing their opinions. No need whatsoever for anyone to apologize.

For what it’s worth, I was never a fan. To steal a line I heard years ago; Springsteen is like my sex life. Lots of effort, but not much talent.

It’s the Fourth of July , so everyone should just relax and have a beer. No such luck for me. I agreed to join my underage daughter in a three month sabbatical from drinking and dessert. Poor timing for me, especially considering that our air-conditioning went out today.

Thanks for the Festival Express link. What a neat movie. My favorite part was when the camera panned the crowd and there was Garcia right up front watching another band perform. The other cool thing about the movie is the intensity on the band members’ faces. They were really into what they were doing.

Glug, glug.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

As AJS stated, there’s no need for an apology. It is literally impossible to hurt my feelings, especially in writing. I love disagreement, and I’m not afraid of opinions opposite of my own.
I’ve re-read my post more than once, and I cannot see a “personal insult” to you or anyone else. One of the many points I was trying to convey was that there’s nothing wrong with disliking ANY artist, as was stated earlier, music and love of It is ENTIRELY subjective. I just don’t think we need to use adjectives that are detrimental. I can disagree with you about an artist, but that doesn’t make either one of us right or wrong. As Dan Fogelberg once said, “if even one person likes an artist, that legitimizes that artist“. I really did not want to stir the pot.
So please, don’t apologize to me. Unless you steal something from me, it’s not necessary.
And besides Oro, I enjoy 98% of your posts. Keep ‘em coming. Arguments are ok, respectful arguments are better. And besides, you don’t want to make me list another 30 or 100 artists I like!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

"Did the Grateful Dead inadvertently kill Jerry? That's a good question and one that has been asked many times and discussed alot over the last 25 years. Wow, 25 years since Jerrbear left us. In my opinion, Jerry loved to party and play and be in the moment, the Grateful Dead fed that jones right up to the end. He loved us all so much, he played until he couldn't play anymore, and still kept trying. Did the Dead help in his demise? perhaps, but it was also all of it, the life, the drugs, the parties, the pressure....it's hard to say except that I still miss him dearly. Love you Jer
I sometimes wonder to myself what the world would be like if Jerry was still alive, I believe he had a calming effect on the universe and when he left us, a lot of that kind, calm went with him.

Thanks Daverock for the CD's, Tangerine Dream weekend coming up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

That energy that Jerry manifested at his highest resonance is still beaming down, and there are plenty of others who are attuned to it. The Dalai Lama, maybe. Try and get on that higher plane. Garcia was an exceptionally strong receiver, with a background full of intense psychedelic experiences. He was completely open. That can be a difficult existence and it's probably why he dove so headlong into narcotics.

The band talked about getting off the road more so Jerry could heal. But really, that book was already written and it was always going to end the way it did. The important thing is we still have the music. I'm comfortable saying Jerry Garcia gave his life to, and for, the music.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

You folks are probably aware of this. Honoring the fifth anniversary, Fans is webcasting all three Chicago Fare Thee Well performances this Sunday morning starting at 9 am ET.

https://fans.com/livestream/20200705-fare-thee-well/?utm_source=2020070…

Not sure if it's still happening, but dead.net put some of the FTW media on sale 40% off. I waited five years eying the box set and pounced!

Stay well , all and happy fourth celebration of our democracy.

user picture

Member for

7 years

The 2nd set 'the other one' has a perfectly placed scream at 2:10. Is this donna or a fan. It's pretty awesome. It must be donna.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Maybe one of my relatives...I can’t be held responsible.

Today...been hittin up that St Paul show from 7/3/78

Oro...have you checked your PM?

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Well, my list is now down to the top 5. In no particular order, Dire Wolf, Uncle John's Band, Cumberland Blues, Easy Wind and Ripple Next week we will annouce the final top two. Stay tuned, as the anticipation mounts.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Happy 4th to the great Dead fan base here from your friends North of the 49th. Whatever the other 193 nations fling your way, we know there is no better and loyal compadre than the USA. FIrst to lend a hand up, not a push down, so wave that flag, so much to be proud of! Like the Dead, maybe the odd wrong note or off show, but overall, in a class by itself! Cheers!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Holding to my defiant tradition of not playing shows on their anniversary dates, today's random pic was 5/18/72. Just exactly perfect on this sunny Southern California afternoon.

Stay safe, gang.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

a merman I should turn to be

Excellent track

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

This is the presale week, correct?
Who has some info? ….hoping for 7/13/84 PLEAS

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by RV3

....was browsing Netflix yesterday when i saw that they have Airplane!. It had been a while since i've seen it so i fired it up. Wife walks in and asks, "What's this your watching?" "Airplane!', i said. "What?" was her response. Blown away. My wife had never seen Airplane!. Well, i was up to the task and took care of that scary situation. My wife's sense of humor is odd to say the least, and i think many of the jokes went over her head, but she enjoyed it.
"Looks like i picked wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

user picture

Member for

7 years

My dads first name.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Charlie Daniels opened for the Grateful Dead on 4/22/79, at Spartan Stadium. He also played on Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

How much do you want to bet Dave messes with our expectations and chooses 7/14 or 7/15? :-) LOL

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

Last year Dave’s #31 was announced on the 2nd Tuesday of July...7/16/19. So could we see the rollout for DaP 35 a week from tomorrow? Tomorrow never knows, as the song goes

Hoping to get mine too.. I've listened to the 2/21/71 Capitol show a couple times, but not in it's Full-Norman, Plangentized glory.

A quick sidebar, did a family camping trip at an isolated place in the mountains near home and felt a little pleasure using my WMD's hatchet cutting hickory just to fire the still (and feed the campfire). I needed one anyway, why not a high-end Swedish made mini-axe. A little pricey but not much (if any) more expensive than buying one of their standard, non WMD versions.. They seem to be quite well made. Yes, I know.. a little tacky my brother noticed and it cracked him up, to me it was worth it just for that. Something else to be made fun of during the holidays.

We should celebrate Working Mans Dead, a great album and the beginning of one of the greatest periods of Grateful Dead music. Consider me one of those that considers Dicks Picks 8 one of the greatest releases and among the best shows ever performed. 1970 was a peak year and I personally love the songwriting from that period. Classic Americana Grateful Dead.

Rant over, back to your regularly scheduled Day Job encore.

user picture

Member for

8 years

*Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session, 1987!
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

...I mentioned this when the ‘Giants’ Boxset was
first released. This is PRIMO! I Love it my brothers and sisters, PRIMO! ;) keep on truck’n & remember to Smile Smile Smile everyone because you love the Grateful Dead & the Grateful Dead Loves You!!! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Looks like it is available again, just ordered it. Tried to on first day but no bonus disc... bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Like a lot of you i've been filling in some gaps in my library by picking up the re-released road trips from Real Gone Music. Oakland 1979 just landed so im taking it for a spin now. This one sounds great and is a nice companion to the recent Dave's from Uptown in Chicago a few weeks before. I have to say that the Road Trips sound quality is much better than the Uptown show and there seems to be more energy to this performance than Uptown.

Set 1 starts off with a 16 minute Sugaree. Set 1 is only 7 songs but there's some good playing. Second set starts off with a nice Alabama -> Greatest Story and im listening to a nice Terrapin -> Playing right now. Im glad i picked this one up.

Right on man.. it sounds great, it's one of the few Betty Boards from '79. That and Dicks Picks Picks 5, 12/26/79 are must haves and make great companions. When DiP 5 came out, on my first listen.. I was totally floored. 12/28 to my ears is not quite as good, but at a certain point we are splitting hairs. If it speaks to you, it's good.

Glad you got it or how does the saying go, so glad you made it....

user picture

Member for

11 years

In reply to by billy the kid

Charlie Daniels was a chauvinist and racist. I know I won't miss him. Good riddance!! He was nothing like Jerry.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by tysonsupina

Picked up a used Dick's Pick No 8 today for $20 at my fave used bookshop in town today...also filled some gaps in my classical collection...I'm a cello buff so I got some goodies for $5 a pop....didn't have to spend any $$$ either... a friend who had lived here in the park for nearly 37 years moved to Prescott and left us a ton of books...we went through them, kept a bunch and took the rest to the bookstore where I got a couple of hundred bucks in trade credit...whee!!!!...and it's a celebration day as my Oncologist gave me the good to go (ten years cancer free now) so I think I'll order Dickus Pickus 33...now that was a great weekend even if we did nearly die on the way home going down Highway 99 ...ahhh youth and stupidity go hand in hand....

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Great News. And the DiP 8 score is great too.. perhaps the best of the best???

Billy & Jim...this one was a little nerve wracking to say the least...three weeks ago I got my annual C-Scan and was told there was something showing in one of the areas (aortic lymph nodes) that had been a problem in my original diagnosis...so I've been kinda going around the house hoping and hoping...today I had a pet scan done which showed no sign of any cancer...it was weird watching the scan on screen seeing my insides lit up like that....whew!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

forgive me if this has been mentioned already but there's a new Bear's Sonic Journal!!!! Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen – Bear’s Sonic Journals: Found in the Ozone Live at The Family Dog...love me some Airmen

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Rock on brother! SO FINE to hear! You made my day and I'll be grinning for a while!

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Thanks for the info on Comander Cody, I'll go pick one of those up right now. Bear always puts out an excellent product.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html