• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Saw him in Paris in 1974, fantastic performer. Some of his musicians had been with him since the 50s, Dave Bartholomew was there on trumpet, it was amazing hearing the New Orleans brass sound in person. He closed his set with When the Saints and proceeded to push the piano across the stage with his stomach. After that he shook hands(including mine) with a few people in the front row
He did do Walking to New Orleans, and if I recall he opened with Hello Josephine

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ahhh. Bobby Charles. A fine, fine songwriter. His 1972 Bearsville album remains essential.

In the end it's an easily copied 3 cd set. Remind me why it goes for 100's of dollars. Oh yeah scarcity and people collect them. Being unable to walk in another's moccasins is a common thing now

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

What did they call this in the Lorax, Thneeds? I wonder how many truffula trees it takes to make the fur on one of those pair of Furry Moccasins?

I think not that I truly thneed one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Was very pleasantly surprised to see this(and bonus disc) in my mailbox this evening. Have just had a chance for one listen through both discs. The sound is excellent, Jerry’s vocals are mostly good, with a couple of exceptions. Bird Song(both versions) is an early highlight. I need a couple of more listens. Look forward to hearing feedback about this one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Enough with the gimmicks and shoes and these astrology (!!) shirts that absolutely blow - just focus on getting the music right, and out there, and do a scorched earth to the Dead.net shipping and customer service departments, because having folks wait months for delivery (see Europe) is not cool, and ignoring inquiries is just pissing off your customer base. This is not Covid related, either, this nonsense has dragged on for close to two years.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

If you try to check out the bandana Vguy mentioned, you'll land on a page that Queue-it has commandeered that says, "The store is temporarily closed for a private event. We will be back online shortly..." Guess they're auctioning off the fuzzy shoes. 🤪 Onward?

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

David Crosby discussing the Dead in an interview (Rolling Stone, Ben Fong-Torres):

“Something happens when the Dead get it on that don’t happen when Percy Faith gets it on”

At 64 years of age,* I don't care for these Nike shoes and most of the merchandise doesn't appeal to me anymore. A couple of collared polo shirts would be nice. Yet I really do see a need for all this merchandise.
However, ALL the archive musical releases do interest me deeply, especially the full shows.
Keep the music as the main focus.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

Is a WINNER!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I have this show which is still on cassette and although the tape is several generations down the line the performance is great. I was unable to make the show due to unforeseen circumstances, but I still have the ticket.
This DaP 35 will be an upgrade to perfect duplications of the original cassette.
Again, I THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Bought the new Garcia Live 14 plus bonus CD. They forgot to send me the Bonus CD and tell me it's out of stock. I'm ticked off by their screw up. Would anyone provide me a download link. thx

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

I Bought Garcia Live 14 from Garcia web site.
Pretty sure Amazon did not offer the bonus CD

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

I Bought Garcia Live 14 from Garcia web site.
Pretty sure Amazon did not offer the bonus CD

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

ordered from the Garcia site, received Tuesday with bonus. The release said early orders for a limited time while supplies last, so who knows where, what the cut off could've been?? Good stuff though. The bonus disc is a must when i saw it had a 'Gomorrah' knew had to order from Garcia site. I have the Pure Jerry single disc from this era also.

From email:

The GarciaLive series is set to return with our first dip into the acoustic realm! GarciaLive Volume 14: January 27th, 1986 The Ritz spotlights an exultant Jerry Garcia & John Kahn acoustic duo performance in the heart of New York City. The newest installment in the series will be released on July 24th as a single CD, digital download, and available via streaming services. A 2-LP version pressed to 180g vinyl in a limited edition of 5,000 will also be made available on August 14th. The collection includes a liner note essay by bluegrass virtuoso Billy Strings. While supplies last, fans purchasing GarciaLive Vol. 14 on CD via Garcia Family Provisions or their local, independent record shop will also receive a bonus CD featuring Garcia & Kahn’s complete January 28th, 1986 performance at The Ritz.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Check your PMs.

Well Jim unless you popped a 100 bucks for DP26 you can only guess how I feel :-)

Was on the fence until I got to the part about "limited"! SAY NO MORE!

Glad I didn't get the axe.

The shoes - I don't wear sneakers, I probably have only owned 4-5 pairs in my life, wore the same pair thru 4 years of high school. I sent my name in (for the opportunity to be offered a chance to buy) a pair, not for wearing, but for resale. I know these POS's will be worth a chunk of money to some asshole stupid enough to spend 2G for a pair of sneaks. Only question do you sell right away or sit on them for a few years?

The only thing I hadn't thought about (and yes I knew) was the slave labor that went into making them. On the plus side, the Nike factory said that if they increase production by .01% they will provide the employees with NEW anti-suicide netting! Apparently the old nets have baked in the sun long enough to reduce the strength and spring of the net. So a few got through the nets last week.

Love Chinese workers, buy Nike so the workers can get their nets!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

33 years ago today I was watching Dylan play with the Dead. The Dead played a great show, throw in Dylan, ,and Garcia playing pedal steel, and it was a blast!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Dennis, that is some dark humor. Spot on and dark.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

I went to Golden Gardens on Puget Sound two days ago, and had the hankerin' for Aoxomoxia.

That was a lot of fun. Some mindblowing synchronicity.

There was a guy wading at low tide with a fishing pole. "Take my line and go fishing for a Tuesday." It was Wednesday, but how many times do you see such a thing?

Other stuff, too. Aoxomoxoa is a greaaaat album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Check your shipping notice, if it includes the bonus disc it will be noted there. I hope yours reads like mine...

For example mine says:

Your order is on its way! The following items have shipped and will be delivered to you soon.

Item Name Sku Qty
GarciaLive Volume 14: 01/27/86 CD JYCD76 1
GarciaLive Volume 14 Organic Cotton T-Shirt Medium JYCT164SMYW 1
GarciaLive Volume 14 Bonus CD JYCD77 1

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was doing some painting the other day and heard a Masterpiece and a Franklin's Tower (while I was rolling out paint) Roll Away! :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Glad I could help.
When I saw Dick's 26 and also limited, I said Damn gotta have it. Then I thought why should I be the only one to suffer financially. Let me find some other vinyl addicts and spread the word. Also and more importantly, April '69 is one hot month for the band with the Ark and numerous 20+ minute Dark Stars. The month of the Dark Stars, ( I counted an even 13 with the short jam on the 26th)
So, again. glad I could help

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

WTJ, I laugh about your painting experience. Lord knows everyone here has had them. Probably not uncommon because the Dead have a song for everything. Am I right? :-)

Doc Pry, Dick 26, you have to wonder when the cut in Dark Star will occur AND will the next album pickup on the next note. I prefer next note, versus 5 second repeat of last 5 seconds. Moot in the end, no turntable. :-)

Quick note, my kid got a Seth Sentry box set of lps. Nicely done and nice art work. Neat thing, they left a place holder in the box for when their next album comes out! (oh, and no, kid doesn't have a turntable either)

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

I almost couldn't believe it! There it sat on my porch here in Germany this afternoon, "June 1976" (3/27 order; 4/8 shipping notice; 6/24 contacted customer service; 7/24 delivery). No extra costs, tax or anything (Dave's 34 was 11,50 €). Listening to disc 8 first, for whatever reason. It's the last day of school here in Germany, summer holidays ahead, warm summer night, sitting outside. Oh, that "High Time". Not my favourite song but this version is beautiful, no doubt about that. I'd really like to thank all the people here who express their compassion with European heads now and then and write a few words of encouragement. I know it might get a bit tedious to read all our posts about items not yet delivered. And of course, there seem to be extra problems with distribution and dispatch at the moment due to Covid-19 (my local independent record shop has not yet managed to get me GarciaLive 13 and 14, I just don't want to order from Amazon). It's just that when you get a release here, the discussion has moved further and further away from it and sometimes you just feel like checking out things that people post here about a certain release. And now it's on to "Crazy Fingers" - that definitely is one if my favourite songs. For one week, I won't be waiting for anything. And then it'll be a 84 show, great choice, arriving probably mid-September.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Great to here Rusty String getting his box. Hope more of the European heads receive their soon too!
For me that Shrine '67 from 30 TATS Alligator > Caution is HUGE and hit the spot today.
Happy weekend all and be safe!

As a native of the great city of philadelphia, i love that yet another dead show from my hometown is an official release. Here is the list (at least off the top of my head). 

Dicks picks 36 - September 72
Daves picks 32 - March 73
Dicks picks 31 (at least partially) Aug 74
Road Trips Download 11/5-11/6 1979
Road Trips April 82
Dave's picks 35 - April 84
Crimson, White & Indigo - July 89

Now just release the Oct 89 shows!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

You are in for a treat Rusty String, that June '76 box is spectacular and should pair well with a summer holiday. After getting that box it was just about the only dead that I listened to for month because I just kept wanting to give one of those shows another listen. The 6/14/76 show still stands out as my favorite of the run, but there wasn't a weak show in the bunch. Definitely dug hearing the High Times and Crazy Fingers, and I found all of the Help-Slip-Franklin's to be great each time they played that sequence in that June '76 run of shows.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

...and fell ass-backwards into 10/23/89 Charlotte. Just an outstanding, and quite rare I believe, "California Earthquake" opener. If you've never experienced a "California Earthquake" before, here you go.....

https://archive.org/details/gd89-10-23.sbd.jeffm.2223.sbeok.shnf

Psst...and a pretty sweet Crazy Fingers>Terrapin as well.......

09/29/89 Shoreline. A late era classic, Garcia playing a modified Wolf, the first Death Don't Have No Mercy in 19 years. It's playing right now.. hope at least one person tunes in and checks out.

Oh, it's National Tequila day, pairs well with 1989 Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

09/29/89 Shoreline!!!!....thanks for the reminder, I was at that show!....tuned in (or should I say found my seat) at Wang Dang Doodle...Brent killin it! Now, just need to dig out my bottle of Don Julio.

Note: currently 9,260 heads tuned in....nice turn out.

I'm jealous.. I have searched high and low.. and I am quite confident this is the best late era Death Don't played. A great show.. awesome to hear you were there.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just saw news that William Leonard Pickard is being granted compassionate release from Federal Prison. Looks like the court granting the compassionate release order specifically referenced the impact of the First Step Act, passed by the 115th Congress and signed by President Trump in 2018, citing it as support for granting the compassionate release. I can't help but think that it is a good thing if Mr. Pickard does not have to die in prison for his involvement with psychedelics.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I think it would be cool, if Dave and Co. could put out an online list ,so we could see what tapes are available in the vault. I'm sure they have such a list and it wouldn't be that hard to put it online , so that we could see it. I would like to know what tapes they have from 1966 to 1970. I would also like to know if they have the 1980 Warfield shows and what Greek and Frost shows they have. I think that most people on this forum would be very interested in a list from the vault.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Good news that he is getting released.. is he ill or is this coronavirus related? He's been locked up for more or less 20 years, way too long if you ask me...

Edit: I see.. he has a host of medical conditions:

Pickard’s motion for a reduction of sentence was made in light of his age (74), his deteriorating medical condition (listed as chronic kidney disease, hypertension, anemia, hypothyroidism, cataracts, posterior vitreous detachment, prostatic hyperplasia, vitamin D deficiency and pre-diabetes), the risk he faces from the COVID-19 virus, and the positive role he has played in writing about the fentanyl epidemic.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

You are correct Jim, Mr. Pickard has a host of medical conditions related to his request. It is unjust and unfortunate that he did 20 years already, and it is unjust and unfortunate that his co-defendant Clyde Apperson is still incarcerated (I believe that he got 30 years, no parole). It is noteworthy in my mind that the Court specifically referenced the First Step Act.

As reported at psymposia.com the court noted that “Pickard’s offenses were serious, but having spent two decades in prison he has been seriously punished. The government correctly points out that Pickard has prior drug convictions, but does not challenge the defendant’s argument (Dkt. 849, at 31-32) that the First Step Act’s change to sentences for drug crimes would substantially changed [sic] the treatment of his prior offenses. The fact that Congress has changed how such offenses are treated now is relevant to the determination whether a defendant faces disparities among similarly-situated defendants under § 3553(a).” Note: § 3553(a) is the US code for Imposition of a Sentence.

If I am not mistaken, the First Step Act is the only federal legislation passed in my lifetime (since '66) that has reduced penalties for drug war violations.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’ve just seen a notice in my online newspaper announcing the death of Peter Green.
A fantastic guitarist in the early blues based Fleetwood Mac.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo rockers!!!!

Don't really care what's in the vault, as they as they keep releasing good stuff. LOL whether it's 1971 or not. Don't want all our future surprises to be destroyed. Given the amount of "leakage" that's taken place over the last few decades, we have a pretty decent idea of what's in there. And no, the Summer/Fall 1970 Port Chesters aren't in there...........

There have been a few surprises the last few years, but I think they've been mostly "returned tapes"..............

RIP Peter Green, a really fine guitar player............

Rock on!!!!!

Doc

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html