• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

we have a negative review, folks.

"Steaming pile"...disagree. It's not 6/10/73, granted. It's not the most intense, deeply OUT THERE, otherworldly GD release ever, but I find it to be a long way from a steaming pile o' stuff.

I hear Bill Graham..."moh', moh', moh'"

If he would have subscribed during the early bird period, he would have only paid $25 for a steaming pile of $H!T.

I don't have mine yet so cannot comment.. but I had the tapes way back and liked them. The shows are getting mostly good reviews. It should not surprise us that shows from this period get released from time to time. The anticipation is starting to get to me.

Every time I see a sloth, I think the character Flash on the movie Zootopia who worked at the DMV. Flash, flash, 100 yard dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUC1VZQE1E

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

FWIW I think the 3/26 show is far and away the better of the 2 shows on this release both in sound quality, band energy, and setlist. 3/27 feels and sounds like kind of a klunker IMHO.
Edit: 3/27 does have the Cumberland going for it, but again I think the sound quality and energy on 3/26 is far better

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

Absolutely love this. Have always loved good recordings with the audience— that was the live experience. The 80s were my years at the shows. Was never at an East Coast show, but this release strikes a nerve, bringing the back-of-the-neck and down-the-spine tingles experienced at the best Western state outdoor shows— some of life‘s greatest experiences. This has tightness and power, track after track, and for me the audience adds to the experience. It’s a big part of what the concerts were about. Dave, please, please, please— don’t let anyone convince you to negate the audience when the recordings present this type of clear and tuned in, on-the-spot participation. For me this is one of the most true to what-it- was -like-at- a-show recordings that resonate with my own in-the-midst-of-it experiences from back in the day. I sure hope Dave can pull off something like this with the wild and windswept early ‘80s Ventura shows when the band set sail into its not-gonna-fade-away second era and rocked the town. I’m a bit of a west coast summer tour snob, but am pleased to report these Hartford shows are as solid, powerful and consistent as any I’ve experienced. In someways more so. Twenty minutes into it and I was on my computer subscribing to the next four editions, and splurging for a gift set to send to a long lost friend who shared some of those wonderful times—OMG—decades ago. Although not a particularly abstract “psychedelic“ performance —an essence that doesn’t translate easily to tape—it sounds especially joyous. This is my idea of straight-ahead good ol’ ‘80’s Grateful Dead; an especially accessible dose of the-way-it-was tunes to pass to non-Heads without excuses, explanations or apologies. If there are more sets coming out like this, no way I want to miss a single one. This from someone who has not been real big on trying to resurrect the past and going on and on about the pros and cons of shows. These, for whatever reason, rekindled something I wasn’t sure I was going to feel again. Who can quite explain? That’s part of the Grateful Dead thing. No one’s trip is going to be the same as any others. But for me, this one rocks. Thank you thank you thank you. Can’t even believe I’m raving like this. Wonderful!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

man that's harsh. I saw them maybe 20x in the 80s and had the times of my life. The CDs just don't capture it for me after 1980. Maybe a song or two here and there.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by snafu

If you saw my previous post, I ended up with 3 36's. I bought 2 one for my nephew one for me. The other I have no idea
Now I got a great bonus. I sent for the poster early on paid etc. A few weeks ago they sent me a notice sorry we over sold , and they refunded to my acc't. Well what was on my stoop? My poster. I will take it. This is the kind of screw up I can live with. Jerry Works In mysterious ways

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I noticed that the crowd cheering in London in 1990 (as daverock mentions) seemed particularly strong, probably more so than the previous visit in 1981. I was also in Paris and the atmosphere was absolutely electric and yes, just like the build up to a football game.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

I am reading about people complaining about the mix, on this release. Go back and check your 1987 releases. 9/18/87 MSG. (boxzilla), I think its, 7/24 and 7/26, Oakland and Anaheim (view from the vault, 12/31/87 Oakland DVD). I don't think they are many straight/true SBD recordings from this year. Most of these shows are being released from the Dan Healy and Don Pearson's Matrix mixes, because that is what is in the Vault in Los Angeles.

Remember, the days when you were excited to get that tape of MSG, that was recorded outside the Centrum in Worcester....but the jam was so good you kept it.

I have been told, that only one true SBD from 1988, is 4/11/88 Detroit, rest are Matrix recordings...Also check out the mix on 6/23/88 Alpine Valley. Healy recorded through an oscillator device. You can hear the music swirl...Only time he attempted it. Listen to the Morning Dew....

As always, thankful for the continual releases, from any era.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by jaydoublu

I played the first cd of Dave's 36 last night, and it does work for me. I like the energy - C.C Rider is a highlight. The only low light for me is , with respect to Proudfoot as he mentioned it below, Desolation Row. To put it blood simple, its just got too many words in it. Even Jimi Hendrix would have struggled with that one. Its a great song - but not by anyone but Dylan. I always feel the same way when they played "Stuck Inside a Mobile". Another great song, but what are you suppose 'to DO with it other than try and get the words right?

With the crowds in London - I don't remember them at all in 1981. The two shows I saw had a similar atmosphere to non Dead shows I had seen. Maybe more Americans travelled over to see them in 1990 - plus the influx of new fans post Touch Of Grey would have affected things. That Paris show in 1990-the one included in 30 Trips-is the best of that tour that I have heard.

Nice to read news on American drug laws. The issue seems to have dropped off the map in Britain at the moment. You would have thought now would have been a good time to introduce a few changes-cheer everyone up, boost the economy. No, the main emphasis by the powers that be is oscillating between telling people to stay in to safeguard the NHS, followed by new orders to go out and support the economy, followed by new orders to stay in. At the moment we are all supposed to stay in. Come December they will probably try and coerce us into going out again, with the promise of half price Christmas dinners or something. That in itself could increase hospital admissions. I can see the headlines now - " It wasn't the virus that killed him, it was that second helping of Christmas pud. He didn't stand a chance."

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Got my copy right now over here in sunny Bavaria, total value 10 $, so no extra fees and costs.
Hope everyone will get his copy soon, especially gratefulgerd.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gerhard

My DaP has arrived FRA Airport earlier this week.
Today's mail has not been delivered yet. I'm still waiting.
Kellerschluss war 21.10. Jetzt darben bis hoffentlich April.
Enjoy your DaP, take care
G.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by gerhard

Great to see people in Europe getting theirs before I got mine. I can only guess mine is coming to me after a brief European vacation compliments of UPS Innovations.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

JIMINMD, I'm in the same boat. Mine arrived in New Jersey on 10/29 and supposedly left the Bridgeport UPS Mail Innovations facility on 10/30. However, USPS has not received it. It's not unusual for packages to arrive to that Bridgeport hub and sit for days but this is a first in which it received a departure scan AND transferal scan to my local post office, all this showing up on the Mail Innovations tracking. But I doubt USPS has gotten it yet because the Bridgeport hub is notorious for delays and loss of packages.

The Mail Innovations tracking page also states: "Mail Innovations is not a day definite service." You don't say, eh? Still scheduled to be delivered on 10/30. Ha! I would certainly pay extra to avoid Mail Innovations altogether. Keep it first class USPS.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Smokestack Lightning, King Bee, Same Thing, Big Boss Man, Death don't have no Mercy, Morning Dew, Sing Me Back Home, The Race is on, Viola Lee Blues, We Bid You Good night, Vision of Johanna. I really liked the way they did Don't don't Ease Me In, but
only the versions before 1974, the last cool version they did was 2/17/79, then they reworked it. I'm sure I missed some.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'm not sure I would have been too happy standing next to someone yelling out the words to China Cat as it was being sung.

fifty years, y'all

I was still a lad, miles and states away from Port Chester, NY

the available recording sound quality isn't...perfect...but it is a hot, hot, hot evening. thank goodness for the recordings.

"some say the sound is lame-y
but you may adopt another point of view"

to paraphrase David Bowie

Ha.. burned into my cerebral cortex forever are the words to Friend of the Devil, sung loud, off key and in the wrong timing by a super hot woman at a show while she was standing or more staggering on her chair next to mine.. falling into me at least a couple times during the song. Fortunately, 2/3 through the first set she was too wasted to stand in her chair anymore and my guess is she only knew a few words to FOTD, UJB and Touch of Grey.. neither of the latter were played that night.

It's all good though, she had a good time and I am left with that extremely vivid memory.. one of a choice few where I was surrounded by hotties at shows. You have to take the good with the bad in life.. right?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A steaming pile of goodness that is to say! My analogy is that of my grandmother's cooking- I am half Italian so I grew up with that type of cuisine. I think of these shows as if i had my grandmother's cooking and getting a fresh bowl of rigatoni and meatballs right out of the pot. Well the music in these shows are like the main course and that steam is audience. The meal wouldn't be complete with just the taste, but adding the aroma filling the air...Bellissima!

Seriously, I had some slight reservations about the mix but they are gone. The audience is there but mainly doesn't overpower the music. Musically, they were really amped up, I thought. Lots of energy and tight playing. Very enjoyable. Its going to take me a bit to go through these shows. I am still listening to #35, and the 2/18/71 show as well. Overall, I am happy as we got another good pick from Dave L.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Jimbo, the hot out of tune woman made me laugh. I go to concerts all the time and sing. Last show I saw was with my cousin; we caught Dead & Co at MSG 11/1/19. I recorded the closer on my phone (Brokedown Palace). When I played it back the next day I could barely hear the band. I turned to my cousin and said "please don't tell me I've been singing in your ear like this for 30 years." He said it's usually too loud for him to hear me, but I'm usually in tune. He's a really good guy.

I'm listening to the Jones Gang intro. I missed the anniversary of Colgate 11/4/77 a couple days ago....I love this release. Not a missed note. Pretty sure that's the Wolf Jerry's handling. I don't recall a cooler first 2 minutes to Stella Blue; something spacey and ethereal about it. The Let It Grow is also on my top 1 or 2 list. The short Other One rips...all great stuff.

I have this one and some goodies from the other 3 shows in the first week of November queued up for the day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Crickets.....
No shipping notice, no awesome new shows, nothing?
Rocky Mountain low! Hey, just as long as it gets here...

But all is not lost...Sigh, I’ll just have to make do, lol, with the AB 50th and the bonus show that’s been waiting for me to give it the love it needs! I say, do these amps go to 11?

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm into the first disk and I like it a lot. The audience makes it more like your there in a way. I agree with gratefulhan and I'm also Italian and my mother still cooks all sorts of Italian dishes including a drop off of meatballs and chicken soup today at my apartment. You have to love mothers. Fugettaboutit!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Great selection of songs though not a fan of the incessant audience. My last shows were in the summer of 1987. Tickets in hand, we were maced by an over zealous security guard just after some of you assholes crashed the gate. Unfortunately, hearing the audience above the band especially after each solo brings back that experience. I was blessed to be able to see shows 5-6 times a year between 76 and 87. But after summer 1987 it was clear the focus was no longer on the band and getting music out to the people. Thanks to the folks at Dead.net and Garcia.com for continuing to provide awesome content.
I hope future DP releases are true soundboards with minimal audience.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have a comment and a question. My comment is, this show, is absolutely amazing! I bought this as a gift to my wife, which we haven’t bought a actually cd box set in a long time! I’m so happy I preorder it. Because we play it so much, and every time it makes me smile ear to ear.
My question, does this set come with a digital download code? I sent a message to help, explaining that my new truck I purchased for work. Doesn’t even have a CD player in it. Which is just crazy to me, but the dealership told me, yeah, they will be fading out the CD player in all cars soon. Which make me think. I’ve gone through so many different formats of music. But I guess digital right now is the best, since it’s there forever. Any who, if anyone knows let me know! Thanks everyone! NFA!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Nice two shows . Happy to have them. Audience volume a bit much for me at times. In the minority, but hoping these hybrids aren’t the shape of things to come. If it’s what we got, so be it.

Edit:
Acclimating quickly enuf 2nd time around. This is a solid release. It Isn’t a Kinks Live at Kelvin Hall level album destroyed by an audience screaming track. (It’s a loop on that one IIRC played non-stop on one track the whole album—course that was ‘67.)

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

... to what KETUT is saying. My concert-going experience was pretty similar: attending shows regularly during the late '70 and early '80s when the band was still playing relatively small places and still a little under the radar as far as the mainstream culture went, and then not at all after "Touch of Grey" hit and everything got so much bigger. (To be fair, it was also partly because my life changed and I couldn't just drop everything and drive 200 miles to see the Dead at the drop of a hat anymore.)

Mass singalongs are a big part of the arena rock experience, and a lot of people apparently like them, and who am I to say there's anything wrong with that? But it's not why I go to concerts, and certainly not why I went to Dead shows. It's also not what I want in a live recording. But hey, it's OK to have this one release where the crowd is so audible, for the people that like that kind of thing. I just hope it's not a trend.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Ghastly idea. Another good reason to avoid rock music in Arena's by the sound of it.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm not so sure this experiment is working. The crowd noise is controlled, in my view, like a laugh track on a sitcom.
I, for one, don't like to be told when or how express my emotions, especially at a GD show. Some suit at Warner Brothers signed off on this, so keep up the feedback, gang! I'm only through disc 1, and I'm lovin' it, regardless.

To Jim in MD, I fell off my chair once (Duke, 04/12/78), into a lovely young lady's lap...during Peggy O, and today we've been happily married for 37 years. What an introduction! By the way, I was not drunk, but triple dosed. She thought I was an A-hole!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 9 months

I pre-ordered this right away. My first show was 3/27/87. So i was very excited. After listening to the first set , (DISC 3), I was extremely disappointed on the sound quality. It's all crowd....At best, this sounds like a below average audience bootleg. I am very surprised because 3/26 was David Lemieux’s first show. I really thought this release would be presented much better, due to that fact and plus it was SPRING 87. Jerry's BACK !!!!!
I think I could have found better quality on Archive.org
I remember when WNEW 102.7 FM, in New York City, aired one of the Meadowlands show's in April 1987. My friend recorded it and it was a killer tape. Wish Dave's 36 was as good as that !!!! Ending the 2020 Pick's on a sour note

I have been waiting 33 years for this. What's another week between friends? Doubtful tomorrow, but the last leg gets delivered by USPS who does deliver here on Saturday's.. so who knows. It's quite possible part of this holdup lies in politics which is completely not provable but a shame nonetheless. Perhaps shameless is a better word.

I will be happy when my 36 shows up, but I am in no hurry.. it will come when it's ready.

Keep up the steady pace of releases dead.net.

When the storm flies and the wind blows
Go on at a steady pace

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

thanks Lemieux for these last two 80s pix!! Finally some 80s!!!
Outstanding, love the matrix sound on this release like being there again !! Sounds fantastic !!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

I was surprised to hear the matrix recording. I have mixed feelings about it, but overall, it's quite enjoyable. I really does kind of sound like you're there.

Understand that Healy started making these "ultramatrix" recordings around this time, and he mixed in 50% audience and 50% soundboard. I like the effect, but I could do with a little less audience. Apparently, Healy felt the same way, as he eventually settled on a 70-30 mix for later shows. I'd love to hear some of those.

One thing I like about this is that it's a recording that, as far as I know, isn't already available on Archive.org. A lot of the recent releases (and the next one, as I'm told) have been great shows, but the recordings have been only marginal upgrades from what was already available. It's nice to have something new.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Yes, that's how it sounds to me too. I enjoyed the first cd, but its a bit wearing by the time of the second. I can't say I feel much like listening to 3/27 today if its more of the same. Just as well I have AB here..

Billy the Kid - that's a great piece of music by Rev Gary Davis you posted. Beyond technique- so pure.

Its amazing to me that the Dead's version on Live Dead also captures the feeling. And that they do this without copying the musical arrangement created by Gary Davis. They seemed to connect with the the spirit of the song without getting hung up on the form. The mark of a truly great band.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Happy for Dave memorializing his first show and happy for everyone who loves this release. I'm not a fan of the matrix recording. It sounds like a good audience recording which is ok once in a while but not really what I want from an official release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

I am wondering what percentage of the commenters who are ragging on this outstanding set of disks never attended an ‘80s show—or never attended any Dead concert whatsoever. And even for those who did, I’m theorizing the negative remarks are signs of enviousness from people who never threw themselves head-over-heals into the joyous, immersive , full-participation experience that this release documents and recreates. There’s got to be some reason beyond the recording itself that some people choose to be so publicly nit-picky and snobby about such a wonderful recording that few Heads back in the day ever imagined being able hold and marvel at decades later. If you prefer studio recordings or cotton-swabbed, white-glove approximations of the live experience, you have plenty to choose from. But for those seeking an immersive re-creation of a stellar live experience of a straight-forward, tightly-conceived, in-your-face, not-outer-space show, that’s what Dave’s Picks 36 is about. It is an achievement worthy of respect, regardless of personal preferences and trivial pet peeves.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

finally, now to repair what has been done. No longer do we have to worry about "the heat coming by and busting us for smiling on a cloudy day"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Dr Rhino is still out there? Anyone know that email address?

Still no Dave's 36 for me in N California. I received a tracking that says that neither UPS or USPS has received my package. Starting to get concerned that it may not be on its way.
I've had a good run with dead.net shipping the past few years, but in years past I had a couple Dave's picks that never arrived. I had to go through Dr Rhino to get it fixed.
Remember when people answered the customer service phone? :-)

Thrilled and relieved that we have a new president. Roll away the dew!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by unkle sam

1- how does she feel about you 37 years later?
2- is Peggy O yours or hers favorite tune?
3- did you do it on purpose? lol...

Hilarious and awesome story! Glad it worked out!

EDIT: hey wait a minute! 78 is 42 years ago? Must of taken her a while to get over it LOL 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Giving this release a second listen, it's growing on me. Anyway, this is a seriously grate listen about murdered and missing dead heads. Seriously, it is well produced and very entertaining.
https://deadandgonepodcast.com

No, its just the recording itself that a lot of people find substandard. Everyone's entitled to express their views on what they have bought, irrespective of whether the like it or not. Good live recordings appeal to people whether they attended the event in question or not.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html