• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Less than 30 days to go until we have this box in our hands. When will Dave release some more seaside chats?

Starting to get excited.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Very tough one for me. Some of my favorite picks (1/22/78, 11/17/73, 11/17/72) came in years where one of the picks came from my least-favorite period (mid-'69 through Keith's first show). [ducks and covers] If I eliminate calendar years with those Picks, I would have to say that 2015 was the best for me, in terms of overall satisfaction with every disc. That was the "Wavy Pastel" cover era, with Skater, Statue of Liberty, Riverboat, and Scooby House (2/24/74, 3/26/72 (my second birthday), 4/22/78, and 3/28/73).

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I enjoyed the hell out of MUATM this year, both the people and the movie, all except just that one bit 'o undigested food between Weir's two-foot-tall teeth. Where was George Costanza's spinach-covered front tooth during a job interview image when I needed him?

Ah, rhetorical questions...

Really posting here to wonder if Dave, in releasing a '91 box, had/has a "backup plan" in case '91 didn't sell like hot cakes. Sounds like it is selling briskly and it's a limited edition box, so the bet is always pretty solid that it'll sell out eventually. I'm happy for everyone who is enthusiastically awaiting this box. I'm no longer a gotta-have-it-all deadhead.

But would there be, in his back pocket, perhaps, a plan to release say a one-disc set of some pre-retirement show -- 1968 to 1974 -- for the Xmas retail orgy to reach those of us who enjoyed a 48-track 1991 movie but declined a $200 box of it? Like a tape for which they're sure the entire show will never be released?

A man can dream... until the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore West 1971 shows up today, the Beatles Abbey Road 50th reissue comes later this month, and news of Dylan's next Bootleg Series release drops.

Then again, I DO have a couple hundred GD shows to turn to, including an incoming 7-disc set of 15 May 1970, which will be a banquet. Thanks to ... you know who you are. Or were. Or can be. Or, back to the coffee!

Felt like doing a cannonball in the forum pool this morning. Have fun, gang!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You posted you dove into Englishtown for the first time in 3 years. And I thought it read I "drove". I was like holy shit someone lives near Englishtown! Then I reread :-) For those not in the know (most I'm sure). Englishtown is a pimple of a town, on a back street to nowhere. Kinda like where Jim lives without the river & the mountains. But they do have a racetrack (drag strip). Commercials as a kid were "RACEWAY PARK,,,, NITRO BURNING FUNNY CARS,,,,, BIG TOM TASMANIA". A lot like the piece from Billy was a Mountain. They also run a swap/auction type thing there. Went to high school around the corner from the place.

Update - FINALLY got a notice on 45 collection. It's been sent to UPS Mail Innovations,,, should see in about 2 months :-) Oh, and my copy of Allmans Fillmore 71 should be here today. I can download the mp3 file from amazon now.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

For 9-3-77 Englishtown, and deservedly so.

Submitted for your consideration --- 9/3/80 ---- aka Download Series #7.
I gave this a spin the other day for the first time. Its a great show. First set especially, is extra tight and really rockin. Every song is solid. All time great Althea IMHO. Second set isn't quite the lysergic bliss of epic 70s shows but still quite good. I think this would be a good show to play for a n00b, or a casual fan, to get them on the bus.

That is all.

Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I expect there to be a Black Friday Record Store Day release.
Whether it will be something from a year you are looking for, and whether it comes in a format other than vinyl, remains to be seen.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

I'd agree with Deadheadbrewer on 2015, they really nailed it on 50th anniversary, 2/24/74, 3/23/72, 4/22/78, and 3/28/73 were all pretty damn good. That's the closest I've come to really loving all 4 Picks in a year. I really like 4/22/78, but I don't quite love it. It's the only one of those I will usually listen to parts of it (Jack Straw, Candyman, Peggy-O, Deal, Wharf Rat) and then move along to something else. Did a full listen to 3/28/73 6 months ago on a long car trip, and that show smokes until disc 3, then it just becomes insanely over the top. A very noisy Dark Star that's out there, but the Eyes and Playing are an incredible ending.
2014 with 5/14/74, 12/10-11/69, 11/17/72, and 11/4/77 is probably my second favorite year.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

This is making my head twitch too. Too difficult.

2014 and 2015 are both very strong:

2014:

Montana 1974
Thelma 1969
Colgate 1977
Wichita 1972

Strong bonus material on the last 3. They're all top-shelf within their respective years in my mind. Montana is a solid representation of the WoS, and has a Dark Star that gives Jim nightmares (not to mention a great WRS and a "not overbaked Playing jam; Thelma has T.C. and fantastic set list variety + that trippy UJB and sick bonus disc that goes Dark Star => St. Stephen => The Eleven => The Other One => Cosmic Charlie.

Colgate sizzles with energy on rockers like Bertha, Samson & Delilah, Cold Rain & Snow, and contains premier versions of Dupree, Brown-Eyed Women, Let It Grow, Stella Blue, Cassidy, and of course - The Jones Gang; there's also second set Playing medley with Eyes / Estimated, Iko Iko, a fierce four minute Othe One, and the Stella with the spacey intro.

Wichita 1972 is one of the finest recorded rwo-tracks from that year, and while there's no Dark Star, the Bird Song is up there with Veneta and the '73 version from the Pacific Northwest box set; also a great Brokedown Palace, Truckin' => The Othe One, Box Of Rain, a 7 minute China Cat (long for '72), Uncle John's Band (I love these in '71 / '72) and bonus material - Wharf Rat & the half hour Playing in the Band, which is also long for '72 (but still cooks like the other versions from that year).

2015:

Winterland 1974
Academy of Music 1972
Nashville 1978
Springfield 1973

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....I'm not falling for it.
Praising the Lincoln, NE 2.26.73 Dick's currently.
And I'm gonna sit right here until I die....
and no. It's not on my new Onkyo. Delayed. Arriving Monday. Bose soundbar will have to suffice.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Of course! "Black Friday"!

Kinda lines up with the next DaP, eh?

Was that single CD 11-18-72 Houston release a Black Friday thing? Can't recall.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep banging the drum for a fall '72 box, um, next year (arrrggghhh!).

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I can tell you where I was 35 years ago when I got a copy of a tape and the first time they played Scarlet Begonias, but for the life of me I can't associate the Daves or Dicks Picks number associated with the show, or what year they released it?? Weird.... On a side note I am, pure empty nester for the next 3 weeks, my daughter is spending the semester abroad in London and my wife and her are traveling around England for a few weeks before school starts. I am starting with Spring1990 The Other One box, (I never even burned the CD's stupid me, doing that now), because besides 3/29/90, I have only listened once.... Bobt

You probably memorize the dates of shows because that is the only relevant information.
The order of release is irrelevant.
I imagine that when you got your first cassette you labeled it with the show date and not “Bobt’s first cassette”.

Have fun with your extended listening party.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Yes, 11-18-72 was 2014 Black Friday.

It would be awesome if DaP32 and BF RSD release we’re related.

Especially if they were Fall 72.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thank you for putting that into perspective! I needed that... And of course my listening party had to start with 3/29/90!!! Have a good weekend.. bob t

I wouldn't know the answer to that one, either. I have also never really got the enthusiasm for "burning" on here. Maybe because I only listen at home-there doesn't seem much point. No one else handles them except me, so its unlikely the cds are going to get damaged. If I was still driving I might do it, so I could listen in the car-but as it is I don't really bother.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Thought that JRF "dRove" into Englishtown as well!

Had to look up the DaP numbers and calendar years; only remember the show dates and my gut feel for each.

Only rip the CDs if I'm putting them on the portable music player for the gym or the bike trail. Play the CDs in the car stereo without fear.

Had a fantastic bike ride yesterday, on a glorious early-fall afternoon in Minnesota. (for better or worse, fall has come very early this year . . . ) Pulled out my sax for the first time in 25 years, in order to start playing again, and found some interesting items in the case. Used those just before the ride, and based on my meditative state about ten minutes into the ride, determined that 25-year old items might have a little something left in them!

Grooved to the beautiful Shining Star from the '91 Eel release on the drive to the trailhead, then blissed out to disc two of DaP 31 for the ride.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

If you want to play along on best Dave's by year, this is what they are:
2012: 1 5/25/77, 2 7/31/74 (bonus 7/29/74), 3 10/22/71, 4 9/24/76
2013: 5 11/17/73, 6 12/20/69, 2/2/70 (bonus 12/21/69), 7 4/24/78, 8 11/30/80
2014: 9 5/14/74, 10 12/12/69 (bonus 12/11/69), 11 11/17/72, 12 11/4/77
2015: 13 2/24/74, 14 3/26/72 (bonus tracks from 3/21 and 3/23), 15 4/22/78, 16 3/28/73
2016: 17 7/19/74, 18 7/17/76 (bonus 7/16/76), 19 1/23/70, 20 12/9/81
2017: 21 4/2/73, 22 12/7/71(bonus 12/6/71), 23 1/22/78, 24 8/25/72
2018: 25 11/6/77, 26 11/17/71 (bonus 12/14/71), 27 9/2/83, 28 6/17/76
2019: 29 2/26/77, 30 1/2/70 (bonus 1/3/70), 31 12/3/79
I knew most of them off the top of my head, but did have to cheat. No way I can do that for the DiP Series without a LOT of cheating.

I used to burn them all, or at least highlight discs, but now it's mainly mp3 on a USB. But I don't like playing the originals on anything other than the living room stereo once they're ripped.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Thanks for listing them like that, Alvarhanso. Your powers of recall are admirable indeed! Looking at them, 2015 and 2017 look to be very strong years.

The list is also handy for looking at which years have been focussed on...and which ones have been overlooked. Amazing that there hasn't been a single one from what I think of as the Dead's first golden age, late 1967 to April 1969. Primal Dead. There are a few 1969 shows, but they are from the second half of the year, which, on the whole were less incendiary than shows from the first half. Big difference, with 1969, between the first half and the second half. The second half seemed to signal a cooling down to me, as Working Mans and more traditional songs started to make their tentative appearance.

I have no particular reason to think I won't be around for a year or two yet, but I think its still fair to say that my Daves Picks cds will still be here and playable long after I have left Planet Earth. Pity I can't burn a copy of myself, really!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

You've tried a professional buffing machine? Those have worked in the past for me, albeit not all of the time. If you need a copy of that tune, hit one of us up via PM and we can help you. I've got FLAC's and 320 kbps MP3's.

P.S. Parking meters! :-)

The purest in me would list the years in reverse simply because on a whole these were likely the last listened to, so clearly the best..

I think each year has it's high point(s) and shows that get less love.

(sidebar - If they ever do a re-do on Rudolf the Red Eyed Reindeer.. the land of the misfit toys would be renamed the land of the misfit CD's where they would get the love and rabid listening they deserve)

This mix by year is by design. The 'lesser' shows so far are certainly releasable shows and float to the top of others favorite list. It's all so subjective.. We should expect these shows are going to be released, they almost have to.. So we get what should be viewed as a representative mix of the best unreleased shows. The series seems to have kept this in mind no matter what the era or other critics might say.

So my absolute favorite shows have some roommates. That's the way I look at it. I am very happy with the series and honestly, so far, 2019 is a heavy hitter with one release left to go. Gee.. I wonder what it's gonna be?

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Starts at Wharf Rat and doesn't stop!!!! I forgot how good the ending of Mississippi Half Step is!! Listening to Dicks Picks that I haven't listened to in a while!! Bob t

I had one Dick's disk that I could not get to play using the various home remedies. I found a place with a professional disk resurfacing machine and for $5, they resurfaced that bad boy. It came out as shiny as the day it was born and plays perfectly. Well worth the $5. The place I found (via google) was a game console repair store (go figure).

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Hard to pick a top year of releases, but I would definitely agree with 2015 as a contender just for DaP 13 - 2/24/74 and DaP 16 - 3/28/73 both in my top 5 out of the picks so far. DaP 14 and 15 were pleasing to me as well.

Looking forward to the release of this box, but been on a little dead detour the last few days. Listening to some Blondie - Parallel Lines, Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True, Lou Reed - Transformer, Allman Brothers - Idlewild South, Stan Getz - Jazz Samba Encore. Lacked the time to really dive into a full dead show lately due to an overload of work. Being self-employed, the only thing worse than too much work is not enough work.

Daverock, your comment about burning a copy of yourself made me think of a book series that I recently read. If you are a sci-fi fan consider checking out the Bobiverse series - book 1 - We Are Legion, We Are Bob, book 2 - For We Are Many, and book 3 - All These Worlds, by Dennis Taylor. The premise relies on your concept of burning a copy of yourself in a manner of speaking, and is some pretty cool recent sci-fi, kind of has a similar feel to The Martian in terms of essentially being what I have heard described as "competence porn". Dennis Taylor also wrote another recent book, The Singularity Trap, which also touches on the idea of a copy of an individual and whether the copy and the individual are the same or different. The whole burn a copy of yourself could really lead to hours of interesting philosophical discussion regarding the implications. But I digress...again...

Edit: Also, check out the short story Fat Farm by Orson Scott Card. Originally published in Omni Magazine in the '80s. Deals explicitly with the copy of self concept, and ought to cure anyone who reads it of the desire to create a copy of themselves.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hello David?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Elbow49

The last Dead I listened to was the Road Trips cd highlights of 6/16/74. The benefits of trimming shows like this are that you are right in the heart of things almost immediately. The opening China/Rider on disc one is amazing-6/26/74 will always be the gold standard for this pairing-but this version is also top drawer. And looking in the Dead Taping compendium, they don't even mention it in their review. Such is the quality of the rest of the show.

Its also noticeable, looking in the compendium how much has been left out of the release. And also...unpopular observation coming up....that the release may actually be better without all those other songs. Its certainly fat free as it stands.

Serendipity...the next cd I played was a live cd from the Tangerine Dream box-which turned out to be also 6/16/74 in London. Then later in the day one by King Crimson, also live from June 1974. 1974 will never be remembered as one of rocks greatest years...but all these three bands were at a peak, and bravely going where no man had been before.

Charlie...thanks for the heads up about the books and authors. I used to read science fiction almost exclusively between about 1975 and 1985. So many great books and writers - J.G.Ballard, Michael Moorcock, Roger Zelazny-the absolute pinnacle though, for me, was Philip K. Dick. His best books, maybe The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Ubik, The Martian Time Slip are truly unique. They weren't books about the future, to me they were like hallucinogenic revisions of the world I was living in. I couldn't get enough. I used to get them locally, but also from a great shop in London called "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed." It all seemed very much of a piece with the music I was listening to at the time. And for the most part, still do.

Anyway...bit of a ramble there...I will look out for Dennis Taylor and Orson Scott Card.

Nought out of ten for any "Dickhead" comments!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I forget who was just talking about the 2nd set of this show but thanks for the reminder. Especially Mississippi HS. Never fully appreciated how good they played the ending that night.

user picture

Member for

13 years

Scrolling back through the comments, I was pleased to see some discussion about DP6 - 10/14/83. I was among those who dismissed this one upon first listen as the sound, at least for Alabama, is pretty rough, and overall, I simply wasn't used to the sound of tape-recorded 80s shows at that point in my GD listening life. However, as I have grown more and more fond of the 80s, particularly 85 and before, I have grown to LOVE this show! By the time the boys get to TLEO, the whole thing settles in and a very fine show proceeds from there. That 2nd set is a BURNER!

That being said, I have been curious as to why Dick picked this show instead of the night after, 10/15 - during "The Return of St. Stephen"... It's a fantastic one. If you haven't, check it out - here is a link to a fine AUD:

https://archive.org/details/gd83-10-15.beyer-ficca-brennan.ficca.20024…

Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Dark-Star

Likely BobT. He has been venturing through some of the older releases.

..lots of love for Road Trips 2.3 Wall of Sound. I've been hitting some of the neglected Road Trips the last few days myself. I gave 6/16 a good listen about a month ago. Agree on the China>Rider and the Eyes>Big River is excellent also. ..but really, are there any bad 73/74 Eyes of the World? Still wish they release 6/16 and 6/18 in their entirety.

If I was more organized or had a better memory I would hit the last five more often. By the time a day or two goes by, things fall into the already happened category when I am trying to focus on the happening right now category. Such is life I guess..

Be good all.. great enthusiasm for all things good music and culture lately, and what's not to like about that.

I had to beat a dead horse, but I did something that racked my back over the weekend and took a quick soak early this am.. I wanted something quick on the device in the woodshop (closest to the tub) and my fingers fell on another Road Trips I hold in high regard, Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 1 Big Rock Pow Wow, 5/23&24/69. Man, that Doin' That Rag > He Was A Friend of Mine get's me every time. Unique and underplayed songs, bordering on rarities.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Dicks Picks #7 Alexandra Palace 9/9-11/74 is one of the more underrated in my opinion. There's some nice hefty jams in that release. I tend to prefer full shows, but this is a pretty decent highlight-centric release.

Always loved that Hartford '83 Dick's Picks. That Scarlet>Fire Estimated>Eyes is a solid hour of Jerry just rippin' it up. Also a nice Spanish Jam in there.

Love number seven.. I think it's high time I revisit number six. I did always like the energy of that show.

user picture

Member for

6 years

It’s 11.45 pm in England on a Monday night and I’m enjoying two of my most guilty pleasures- a LARGE gin and tonic and rocking the cradle egypt 78 especially the Ollin>fire .
It’s two bob I know but I love it .

user picture

Member for

6 years

Gonna save the magical dicks picks vol 7 at the wonderful venue that is the ally pally till tomorrow . Xxx

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

To Space Brothers point about the jams on DP 7, Not Fade Away is something special. If I recall correctly, this was a period when they were not playing it much and certainly not for 20 minutes at a time, which I think this is close to. Not to be missed.

I forget which Dave's Picks this is, but the Felt show from December 6th 1971 is really melting my face at the moment. It's the bonus disc show I'm speaking of. I just kind of threw it all together in one folder and put the songs in order that they played them. There's a lot of energy in this show. The audio isn't quite up to the November 15 and 17th shows that have been released, but once you get used to it, they're having a pretty good night. China Rider and Tennessee Jed are pretty hot. The Other One is incredible... if you don't think so, I probably just have it turned up too loud. Even Casey Jones is kicking my ass. Bill the drummer is throwing in these offbeat snare shots, and some drum rolls and wicked fills...... get that man a large gin and tonic.

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

11 - 11/17/72
5 - 11/17/73
26 - 11/17/71
32 - 11/??/?? (11/??/72?)
8 - 11/30/80 (not 12/20/69 & 2/2/70)

Thanks Jiminmd for pointing out my error. I guess I got excited about the number pattern forming.

Except that #8 is 11/30/1980.

What does that do to your algorithm, 8/24/85? :D

#6 was Thelma 69 and Fox Theatre 70. I have to revisit that one too.. been too long.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

One of my favorite musical anniversaries thanks to the 30 Trips box.

9/10/91 MSG

This show is a perfect primer as a warm-up for the Giants Stadium box. '91 was actually a great Grateful Dead year.

Road Trips V2N1 '90 MSG and Dick's Picks Vol 9 from 9/16/90 showed how great the Bruce/Vince era could get. Glad to see this line-up get some attention. Maybe not everybodies bag, but I sure love it.

Also still seeking the Road Trips Spectrum '79 download shows. Missed out on that.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Perhaps Bolo's clues are steering us towards a Southern show from late in a given year. All those shows he/she mentions were performed in the South (okay, so L.A. isn't the "South," but it is quite southerly . . . give me some leeway to run with this . . . ). This leads me to believe that DaP 32 will be . . .
12/18/73--Tampa, with bonus tracks that didn't make it onto DP 1
or
December 1978: I don't know the shows from this Southern swing, but they likely came home with the rest of the Bettys.
or
11/19/72--Houston (but these tapes are probably REALLY lost for good . . . )
or
11/29/80--Gaisdh;gk; jk;jsddddddddd [sounds of scuffling heard briefly, then silence . . . ]

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by perithecat

Becoming an alcoholic late in life. Give me Boodles Gin and Fever Tree Indian Tonic water. Very Nice. Keep bottles of it at work. (ticking away the moments that make up a dull day)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

My 45 showed up today (#1815),,, what I haven't got (again) is a link to the digital download. Anyone got a link?

I recall a great 12 min version of He Was A Friend of Mine on a bonus disc from way back when - it might have been a New Year's compilation disc or a Fillmore West bonus - but it's a great version. I always loved that one especially when they stretched it out a bit. Great, early harmonies. Despite the somewhat morbid topic of the tune.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Check your inbox

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html