• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....ended. Short but sweet, now Wait is up. Dammit. Now I need to listen to the whole record. No regrets.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....now, this particular song is dark as fuck. 12 year old me just enjoyed the rhythm. 51 year old me says "Damn Beatles, y'all getting vengeful."
It's an evil song with an awesome beat.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

My favorite Jefferson Airplane varies from time to time, but Surrealistic Pillow and Crown of Creation seem to consistently occupy that position, both are good from start to finish. Really dig If You Feel on Crown of Creation, and some of the mellow stuff like My Best Friend or How Do You Feel from Surrealistic Pillow, absolutely can't go wrong with either album. Also, if you haven't already, check out Quah by Jorma, some really nice mellow songs on that album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....Burgers by Hot Tuna just might be better than any Airplane record. Might.
I prefer my Burger with pickles and American cheese.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

My belle
These are words that go together well
my Michelle

Michelle, my belle
Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble
Très bien ensemble

How rude.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Vguy, you are correct, sir, Burgers by Hot Tuna is a great album. The debut Hot Tuna album is awesome as well, just a cool sound to some of that stuff. I saw Hot Tuna at the Chance in Poughkeepsie, NY in the mid-80's and it was a fantastic show. The Chance is an old opera house, so acoustics in the balcony were excellent and it provided a cool view of the stage from above. Good times.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The JA album Bark is interesting because half of the album seems more like Hot Tuna - songs Wild Turkey, Feel So Good and Third Week in the Chelsea. The song Pretty As You Feel on that album is possibly my favorite single song by JA, and the rest of the album is not my favorite. But the good stuff still makes the album worthwhile, Feel So Good and Pretty As You Feel alone justify the album.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Not gonna lie...I always get a kick out of those old dance videos. Very impressive. Just like the music, I like the compilations that blend all the different styles.

A great one, to Uptown Funk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

This one's been around so long, I think it was emitted when the big bang invented the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9i0s4WEY0

And one you all may know.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHf6tiFkr2s

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

White Rabbit is just a monster of a song. Grace is bone chilling... and I mean that in the sense of, gives me the chills, not baked out across a couch. What's that other single? Somebody to Love. Meh... the early Jefferson Airplane records were like the rest of the San Francisco sound at the time, tinny and thin, horribly produced.

Shout out to Jorma and Jack for being the blues backbone of that band and carving out a subsequent career.

Led Zeppelin (one, the first album) radically improved sonics in the rock album industry. "Distance makes depth," Page would say, regarding miking John Bonham's drums. Of course Bonham wielded his drumsticks like the mighty hammer of Thor, which did make things easier, but still - the first Zep album blew everything else away sonically. The next best at the time would have been what George Martin did with the Beatles. The Stones got there, eventually.

Cream were horribly produced, and it's a damn shame. There's a Cream box called, "Those Were The Days." To my knowledge, it's most everything the band did including a beer commercial - that's right, have a peek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9tXP5IsRg

Now that both Jack and Ginger have crossed over, it's too bad their groundbreaking work along with Slowhand wasn't produced by Jimmy Page - it's a bit thin.

Which connects this ramble to Jefferson Airplane. Moments of brilliance, disappointing sonics.

Jefferson Starship, however, sounds exponentially better:

Jane
Miracles
Find Your Way Back
Count On Me

(We Built This Shitty) will go unmentioned for obvious reasons.

\m/

Bathing at Baxters was always the stand out JA album for me, and still is.

I also still like the trio of albums that were credited to various people, but were seemingly orchestrated by Paul Kantner ... "Blows Against the Empire" "Sunfighter" and "Baron Von Tollbooth," the latter home to the original Mind Left Body track. All feature Jerry on guitar on some tracks, to great effect.
It should also be noted that although "Blows.." is credited to Jefferson Starship, it is light years ahead of the easy listening mid 70s Jefferson Starship. In my opinion.

The UPS tracking information for my Giants Stadium box set shipment certainly isn't instilling confidence that Rhino has learnt its lesson from the DP31 international shipping fiasco.

Apparently, according to the tracking data, the shipping option chosen by Rhino was UPS Worldwide Saver, which includes:
"Second business day delivery by end of day to Mexico and major metropolitan areas worldwide".

Well that isn't going to be cheap, and the prospects for avoiding further demands for absurd enormous additional freight charges (and refusals to release the package), just like were attempted by UPS with DP31, are looking decidedly not good. Especially as the current status is shown as delayed due to a "missing commercial invoice".

Hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Anyone else in UK/Europe with tracking updates, or delivery news, that might suggest a reason for optimism?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In My Life,,, tear jerker for sure, maybe what wows me the most is the difference between the age of the "singer" and the age the "writer" was at the time. Want a nice cover? I always loved Bette Midler's cover of this song on the "For the Boys" soundtrack. (oh yeah, huge shoutout for "Stuff Like That There" from the same soundtrack)

PMJ - How can you not like stuff like that! I'm not use to seeing a tap dancer locked into one place, most be hard. Most tappers seem to "travel" while tapping. (my opinion)

Muleskinner - you sly devil. You put up that "David Hoffman" link. I watched, first you know there is not political talk allowed here. Second I didn't know "Bernie" had a career before politics and went under the name David Hoffman! (…. So then, Earl says to me, Maybe it time we go to lunch and we went, but we did not eat with the top 1%! We ate at a local café and had local food!) (in my best Bernie voice)

Again this site sucking money out of me. Everyone mentions so many artist it's impossible to keep up.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Foghat

I’m staying positive. My item has been labelled for UPS but doesn’t appear to have shipped yet. It does say they are using UPS Worldwide Saver and that sounds expensive. The UPS website describes this as

‘UPS Worldwide Saver offers guaranteed afternoon delivery in 1-3 days for your international shipments. Export: Delivery by end of day. Next business day delivery to Canada and for documents to Mexico.’

Let’s hope for the best. If anyone from the distribution team reads these pages can they check the correct delivery method is being used before too many leave the warehouse.

user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Shipments to the UK seem to be releasing one by one, over a period of time. My order still shows as “processing, not shipped”. Needless to day, my various inquiry emails to Customer Service have gone unanswered...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Despite the optimistic mail that stated "Good news. Your order is on the way." when I check the UPS tracking, the only entry says "Label created. Order Processed: Ready for UPS" which was dated 11th. It does not indicate that it has shipped yet. Delivery to my address in the Netherlands is supposed to happen by the end of the day on the 14th. I will be extremely surprised to see a shit-brown van pull up outside my house tomorrow.

I cannot figure out why Rhino take a lot of care to get the music mastered to a high standard but then cut as many corners as possible and try to save as much money as possible on CD manufacturing (but that backfired on them), customer service and now warehousing. This really makes no sense to me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Giants; really getting a lot of mileage out of this one. The 87 is nice and tight, of course the 89s are great, FALL 89 DAVE! , but the more I check out 91 the more I want to check out!
Ripping madness: been ripping up discs from dawn till doom.....my Xmas “miracle” just keeps getting better and better...of course went for the 73 and 74 stuff first, TASTY! Probably will shift into 69 position next, get me some dirty dead!
BLU-RAY Audio.......BRING IT! That would be beyond amazing! I’m sure they won’t because probably not enough demand, but you know “a girl can dream”
JA etc.....not as up on all that as I should be.....always sorta love/hate with them.....some stuff is awesome but some is kind of awkward, imho....Blows against the Empire is my go to favorite, Quah is an all time favorite. If I’m in the mood for that style it’s usaully Quah that gets played....Actually one time we saw Jorma he was sitting down like he was playing solo acoustic, but was using an electric with all kinds of peddles and pitch transposers, all kinds of weird shit. It was at this smallish Jazz club back in Buffalo called the Tralf. So we score the table right in front of him, like we were pouring him beers etc......great night! Speaking of cool tiny venues,
THE CHANCE: that place was so cool, saw the Radiators and ? Something else?, perhaps Little Feat? Can’t recall, remember the Rads show though, really fun night.
EUROPE: good luck to all our brothers and sisters across the pond! Hopefully all y’all won’t have all the hassles this time around. But if it helps, I’d say the general consensus is this ones gonna be worth it!! Can’t understand how the modern world with all the so called improvements seems to just completely fuck up even the most simple things. I guess that’s what happens when the only thing that’s seems to matter anymore is money? This darkness has got to give!
Ok, unfortunately these damn bookshelves aren’t going to build themselves, so back to work....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

The Jefferson Starship of BATE has no relation to the later band and the trademark/copyright issues.
This first starship was a PERRO project (planet earth rock and roll orchestra) ...the bay area musician's
concept... many of which are on that most classic of albums.
cheers

Yassss, a dear departed friend (Died years ago at 42, first friend to go is tuff, especially so young..), he was always turning me on to great stuff I probably otherwise might never heard of (kind of like hanging out here), anyway, he looooved the airplane. That’s where I got turned on to Blows. so I’m assuming he’d have broke out pointed little head, he certainly talked about that and chromium nun a lot.....so maybe I’ve heard, but I don’t remember....perhaps I should talk to Santa bout some space shipped out airplane tuna!
It’s mind blowing how you can spend so much of your life diggin’ tunes and still miss so much!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....it's a Jack Casady fest!
Airplane are a definitely aquired taste. Some hit. Some miss. Hot Tuna usually hits the target more often than not. Jorma and Jack storming along.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Among the very finest live albums out there! Jack Casady's bass playing is worth the price of admission. The 2004 remaster has several additional songs and would be the one to look for if you are new to this album and plan to make a purchase. I revisit this album frequently...

All the best...

Thanks guys.....hear that Santa?, I need some more space shipped airplane tuna!

Started listening to this again

Glad to listen on cd
I guess it was hot that day
Not a fan of the hot

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....the best of the box. Apologies to Red Rocks. Sometimes the sweat brings out the best.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Bluray box number 3769 just arrived safely in the UK this morning within 3 days of being shipped by UPS Saver despite missing part of my address on the shipping label. As expected, I had to pay £26.88 in "Government Charges" (aka VAT/Sales/Import Tax at 20%) and £11.50 in "Brokerage Charges" (aka UPS ripoff fee).

Unclear why the new warehouse (run by Direct Shot Distributing in Franklin, IN) took over 3 weeks to ship but at least I didn't get a demand for £75 freight as happened with Dave Picks 31. Hopefully they'll get DaP32 right.

Listening for after work tonight sorted.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by IanM

This sound promising - got the normal email from the deadstore with the information "shipped" /"on it's way- finally... on saturday.
Estimated delivery october 14th - still waiting in Oslo, Norway...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Waiting for a shipped-mail since weeks. Helplessly waiting ... somebody else?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Vguy72

Vguy-i always loved that first show too. I think that might be my favorite Estimated of all time.

I’ve been getting a ton of mileage out of this Giants box. It is really well done and sounds better than most. I’ve been playing the shows from this box, along with the shows from the 2 Spring 90 boxes on shuffle from my computer at work-has been such a joy (and a great way to make work more enjoyable)....

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Well, my box set is supposedly on its way according to the UPS website. But wait, it arrives when?
In Transit
Rescheduled Delivery Date:
3/10/2020 by End of Day

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

Just got my CD/DVD (was ordered some time ago, but as a birthday gift - so only opened it this morning). Its awesome. Well worth the wait. Great packaging and great presentation. Great booklet. Great images. Great, everything. My only suggestion would be that folks who shelled out for the CDs ought to be given a digital download as well. As it is, in order to play this on my iphone, I need to go and rip it off the cds and make it digital on my computer. Not a huge hassle, but not fully seamless. To include the digital download for folks who have purchased the hard copy doesn't seem that difficult (and I know Dead.net has done that for other releases in the past). In any case, I was at each of these shows and reliving the 87 show right now (my poor office mates won't hear anything else today).

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'm putting it on right now, thanks for the tip. I've listened to that Estimated several times since the box came out, but I may not have been HEARING it, as they say.

One of my favorite things about this message board is finding out what other people think is top shelf. Heck I have a soundboard show from 8/30/69 on my phone titled "Vguy's Dark Star", as well as a warning in the notes field of the DaP 9 Dark Star that says "careful, gives Jim nightmares".

We'll see where a focussed listen to the 7/1/78 Estimated leads me. As far as Estimateds go I've long been a fan of DP 18 from early Feb '78, and I also think the 30 Trips and DaP 15 are pretty good. 78s are where Estimateds are at IMHO.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

7/1/78 is high on my list too.. but I can never nail down favorite versions. They seem to always be the last one I listened to or the next one I am going to listen too.

7/1 is such an unusual show and I think forcing them out of their fixed grid opened up other areas of creativity. The whole show is crackling with energy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

06/17/91 Drums. Absolutely amazing. Those two knew how to fill a huge stadium with such strange sounds. I've always loved "drums" from the later Dead days, and this is a great one.

Another good Estimated from 1978 is on the bonus disc of Rocking the Cradle, from 9/15/78. They aren't the best shows of the year, these from Egypt, but that Estimated, tucked away out of sight, is one of my favourite versions.

I also agree that 7/1/78 is the best show in the 78 box.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

but to say it's better than 7/8/78...

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo.

through gritted teeth: I am NOT a robot.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Guess I need to revisit this one. I remember the 4th quarter being really good IIRC, but seemed like the show before that and up to that point had a fair amount of slop and flubs. I'll give it another spin though.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Easily my favorite of that box as well. That last sequence is simply fantastic! 7/8 I had a copy of for years, and it's a good show for sure, but in a hypothetical world where 7/1 circulated in the same batch of Bettys at the same time, I'd think people would rave about the day the Dead opened for Willie Nelson and blew Arrowhead Stadium away just as much as those Red Rocks debuts. It's not a perfect 2 hours, but not many shows are.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....i'm bored, so i felt like posting this question. Which song do you prefer. Man Smart, Women Smarter or Iko Iko. Or is it Aiko Aiko?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Don't forget as late as deadbase VI they still had this show listed as two sets!! All we had were audiences of 7/1, 7/3, and 7/5!! We all had the boards of 7/7/78 and 7/8 and the song list of the second set is so strong especially Estimated through the 3 encores that night that ended with Werewolves!! I love this box set because no one had the first 3 shows on board tapes... One day i hope January or February 79 turns up if they were ever recorded!! House Boat tapes, Owsley soundboards... I really enjoy when we get these upgrades!!! Be good everyone have a good night... bob t

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Mustve been interesting

Grateful Dead

Outlaw country stars

Hooooot

If it had been George Jones instead of Waylon Jennings, it would have been an even more fascinating juxtaposition

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I love that July box , and 7/1/78 is really good. I got that box because of everyone's recommendations and 7/1 was widely regarded in those recommendations. I also think 7/7 is actually a better show than 7/8 at times. I guess I switch.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

In the interest of reading what others are listening to I offer up a Last 5, both GD/non GD.

GD:
1. DP8 5/2/70 Binghamton, NY - Including the NRPS set. A college kid with $5.00 in his pocket couldn't go wrong with this show.

2. Archive: 10/19/71 - the debut of KG as well as 6 new and soon to be classic GD songs. KG sounds like he's been with the band for months. I don't think we'll see this released since it was a radio broadcast...the same reason DaP18 wasn't 7/18/76 and DaP22 wasn't 12/5/71.

3. PNW Vancouver 6/22/73 - 'Bird Song'...'nuff said.

4. Rocking The Cradle 9/16/78 - sans 'Sunrise' & 'OMSN' encore. The 2nd set stands out for me. Best of '78? Nah, but I like it.

5. Giants 6/17/91 - An 'Eyes' opener plus 'Might As Well' and 'New Speedway Boogie'..what's not to like?

Non GD:
1. Poi Dog Pondering - Volo Volo Thanks to Vguy72 for the reminder...I haven't listened to these folks in awhile.
2. Stereolab - Jenny Ondioline/Ping Pong/Wow And Flutter EPs/1 CD.
3. Blind Willie McTell - Atlanta 12 String
4. Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior
5. Richard Thompson - The Cold Blue Film Soundtrack Thompson wrote the music with instrumentation consisting of a string quartet, 4 French horns, oboe, clarinet, double bass, guitar, harmonica and percussion. The movie/documentary might be of interest to film buffs since it documents the noted director William Wyler's experiences with crews flying B17 bombing missions during WWII. I haven't seen the film myself but can hear how the music would fit the subject matter.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

There is an interesting point in history that just might collide with 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium.

It is well known that Willie is a staunch advocate for legal Marijuana. I read or saw an interview a long time ago where he described the point in time where he gave up (or drastically cut back) on alcohol and decided weed was safer and more productive vice.. He stated it was a reaction to an acid trip he had I think "at a festival" where someone convinced him to take a hit the day he had to play. The context of the interview seemed to be one of the fourth of July parties he had.

He went into detail describing it was difficult to play on acid and singing seemed strained like the way he wanted his voice to sound was not the way it came out. (Lord knows many of us have been there). He walked away from that adventure not doing acid or alcohol but weed seemed just fine. I think my memory is mostly true to the original story he told.

I always wondered if the festival where he dosed might have been his 7/1/78 4th of July Festival? I mean.. No, never mind. There's little to no chance the travelling GD carnival would have willfully dosed Willie Nelson... Never mind.. that's crazy talk :D

Edit: This isn't the original article I read, no mention to alcohol.. but close enough.
https://time.com/3843900/willie-nelsons-pot-lsd/

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html