• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Those pagans knew how to cook up some holiday's.. Thanks for the history lesson. D.Davis, great BCT nugget in your blog.. Brent was wasted, so what. They play that show from time to time on SiriusXM. Its got its moments. Can't believe you were living walking distance to the BCT.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Gary - hope you enjoy that '79 one all over again! Another released one that I think is killer is the Hartford '90 TOO box. Very powerful start to the show and the energy sets the tone for much of the first set. Regretfully I had to pass on the 30 trips but that '79 Dancin>Franklins was also released on that 1st road trips and I think its funky synth awesome... totally shows what Brent brought to the table.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Have had 90too for 6+ months and havent opened it yet. I am so ready...Did the dancin franklins tonight, funky
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Agree with my fellow Washingtonian Stoltzfus, 8.28.81 - Long Beach, best Shakedown.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....happened to me earlier today. Broke out Queen's Sheer Heart Attack and Metallica's Ride The Lightning....both classics....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Interesting topic...For me, I never tire of 1972. Coincidentally, It's also the year I have the most recordings/partial shows of (looks like 37). However, I am especially smitten with the 30 Trips Winterland Tax Day 1970 show. This and Harpur College(Dick's Picks Vol 8) a few weeks later, are in my estimation, amongst their best ever performances(the Winterland Dancin' is incredible), and I'd love to hear a Dave's Picks, or a box from this part of 1970. Looking forward to hearing the '78 box. Say, isn't it kinda early in the year for the annual Boxset to appear? 15,000 copies also seems a tad high, so I don't expect it to sell out quickly(no resale market)...will make great Xmas present too. Has anyone else tried to access a lyric on the "Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics by David Dodd" an got an error page. Sad if this excellent resource has been lost in the ether.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Underrated because of it's uneven performances. 5/10-11/78 is one of my least-listened-to releases. It's not BAD, it's just got nothing that jumps out at me. 4/24/78 is another that I don't pick up very often (although TMNS and Scarlet-Fire are top-notch on that one). Really love 2/3-5/78, 4/22/78, 5/14/78, and 12/31/78. And, of course, this box promises to get a lot of play. 7/7-8/78 have long been favorites, and this sample from 7/1 has me very excited. Regarding the best Shakedown, the one on RT 1.1 always jumped out at me; a GREAT performance in an otherwise lackluster release.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

the Shakedown from Road Trips 4.4 (4/6/82) has the most listens in my google play account. It's pretty funky..
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I don't think I've been this happy in a long time. Thanks Dead.net! :-)P.S. I visited Red Rocks last week and definitely felt the magic there. Wow!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I don't know if I do absorb so much stuff. I just listen to a lot of stuff, not a lot of most, but some of all. I can sit at the computer and drop 30 different things in the playlist that have nothing to do with each other. I can be listening to Al Jolson's "Anniversary Song", swing over to Ice-T's "Mind over Matter", and many other non connected songs. Just got in (used from amazon) "The Many Faces of The Detergents", because I wanted to hear "Double-O-7" and I only have it in a 45. Bonus - Had a song (instrumental) called "The Blue Kangaroo" on it. I have this in a 45 also, hadn't thought of it in 45 years, but when it played I was like "wow". Sometimes when I'm working in the yard or garage I'll put on everything from an artist and hit shuffle. Hell I got albums of French "yeye" (60's French pop that I play and I don't speak French! (but I did recognize Noir C'est Noir) Back in the LP days when someone was over I pull out an album and say "you gotta hear this", that song was barely over and I'd be pulling another album out for something else they had to hear. When they left there be 30 albums out. A lot of times I don't even finish a song when my brain makes a connection to some other song to play. I don't know I can't explain it. I ALWAYS have a song playing in my head, ALWAYS! Also while listening to almost non-stop songs, I'm always listening to an audio book. When doing neither I'm generally watching old movies on TCM. In any event, check out your ILL, sometimes I search the ILL just for "box set" or "collection" or "greatest hits". I figure if I'm gonna pay a 2.50 fee, I might as well get as much as I can. Got a great Duke Ellington collection that way, 24 cd's. Have a bunch of Odetta coming in, based on talks in this forum. Somebody else mentioned Stan Kenton, found a half-dozen of his albums available. So much music, so little time. What a great time to live in if varied music is your thing. I remember when I was young I hit a department store (like Bradlees or Grants or Two Guys) and there be only two long bins of choices, then Sam Goody's came along and I was like wow, then I found Sam Goody's could ORDER albums for you, double wow. Then Amazon,,,,, Heaven! Then the library and ILL, free heaven! If any interest in doing some trading PM me.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

away by 10/12/84. Heard the Stranger last evening...shazam! 8484848484848484848484 please dave big box i predict will be GREEK BOX that would be a nice box
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Yup. Best modern day Stranger, Cold Rain and Dew in the same show. TMNS also, but debatable. Many may disagree. None who were there will.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Yup. Best modern day Stranger, Cold Rain and Dew in the same show. TMNS also, but debatable. Many may disagree. None who were there will.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I like 6/30/85, Dead Set, and 11/24/78 versions of Shakedown best, but I haven't heard too many - wish there more released from the Keith Godchaux era, because while Egypt '78 is good, it's the only official one with him on it. I saw a post about someone only going to buy the Red rocks show, not the whole box - now THAT is some discipline! I approached Europe 72 that way, and before I knew it I had them all. Speaking of Europe 72, I listened to most of 4/7, the starter show today. Greatest Story is rockin'. So is China Cat, Truckin' TOO, and there's a really cool Wharf Rat. Ramblin Rose & Sugar Mags excellent - This show doesn't get talked about much, but it's great!
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

This has been bothering me for a while and just curious if anyone has any input. When people bring up the amount of "limited" edition numbers (such as the 15,000 in this case of the 78 Box) and their ooncerns it just makes me shake my head sometimes. For example the Fare Thee Well Tour you had hundreads of thousands of people willing to shell out money for tickets to the show, plane tickets, Hotel reservations, rental cars, food, and all the other extras which runs into at least a thousand or more dollars, that these things don't sell out faster. To me the music is a no brainer you have that for the rest of your life. It also amazes me when I get talking to someone about the band because of a shirt or hat the other party is wearing and they show all this enthusiam and I ask a simple question like "what do you think of the Daves Pick series and they say what's that?? I scratch my head. This has happened not once or twice but a lot of times. Sorry for my little bitch session....I just apreciate how a lot of you are well versed and really dive into the releases that happen here and that we are very lucky to have no matter what year it is from.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

A lot of people I talked to who were at Fare Thee Well seemed like they wanted to be there so they could say they went and not so they could go. Those were the same people that complained about the Dead and co. shows because "the band said that was it, and I spent all this money to go now I wasn't at the last show (spoiled sobbing)." Unfortunately many still go just for the party and the bragging right, not the music.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Kevin, you yourself are part of a limited edition. We are incurably fanatical about this band, but we are limited in number. There are many, many more who enjoy the music but are not so interested as to visit this site on a near-daily basis. Of course, if you don't come here, you don't buy most of the music releases because they are only available through this site. In fact, if you don't visit this site, the chances are you do not know of the existence of the Dave's Picks series etc. Then again, if you are not fanatical then you would probably have little interest in multiple releases of live performances from 20-50 years ago. Rhino are fully aware of the situation, which is why when a real gem gets released (Sunshine daydream, Wake up to find out, the forthcoming Red Rocks etc.) they also put these out to retail - Amazon and the like - because these releases are likely to be of interest to the more casual Dead fan and they will sell more copies. Rhino also know very well how many units will sell, which is why they only produce a certain number. Putting things like "Limited edition" in big letters at the top of the page means everyone is somewhat panicked into buying quickly, but they are targetting the same limited number of die-hards that you and I are part of. I suspect that our numbers are always lower than the numbers produced and it then takes awhile to sell the rest of the production run. Reseller/scalper interest will also have an effect on how quickly a limited edition sells out.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Dire hit it right on the head, to large numbers it's only the image of the scene. The people who talk thru whole shows, the guy who's past out thru the whole show from heavy drinking all day (only to wake up to yell "Jerry" during the quietest part of a song) But this is really a part of modern life (maybe it's always been that way) to be seen doing "hip" or "cool" things. (is only hip or cool because we like it?) Then again, most people don't buy music in bulk, period. When at other peoples house check and see how much they have. Most don't have much. Sometimes I think books are even lower on the have side. My wife is a reader and I can tell you we have BOOKS! Greatest invention for those people "kindle". Now she has tons of books she carries with her. For me it was the invention of MP3, the only proof of a god I know of :-) Fortunately with the advent of internet it's easy to find people who share an interest (whatever it may be). I'm lucky that I have several people in my life who have a passion for music (not all deadheads, but like a lot of music), but I push to find these people and seek to find what music moves people. I'm always singing and talking in song to flesh out where people stand. My neighbor behind me (who I don't have a lot in common with) would talk 50's groups and early 60's groups all the time. He wouldn't know a pink Floyd song, but he'd know a coasters song. Sorry rambling again,, but Dire you pulled the perfect line out, it's 1 in 10,000....
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

GFar it appears I am a little late to this party but it seems our Super-Brain has reared it's mighty head in some form on these Shakedowns. I'm not so familiar with some of the early/mid-80's Shakedowns being offered but they sound like they pack the requisite punch. For a great Keith-flavored Shakedown, I always enjoyed these two from late '78. The first, Jerry has laryngitis, but it is a pretty sweet Shakedown out of Estimated - 11/24/78. Keith is prominent: https://archive.org/details/gd1978-11-24.pre-fm.miller.87642.sbeok.flac… This second one is pretty super-funky with Jerry making some mad runs in the jam at the end, again Keith quite prominent, 11/20/78: https://archive.org/details/gd1978-11-20.sbd.miller.95244.sbeok.flac16 Rainy Monday in Boston, looking forward to some spring-like weather around here sooon. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Surprised no mention of 11.20.78 - Cleveland Music Hall - what a sequence - 5 stars 12.30.78 - Pauley Pavilion, UCLA - Killer set, killer show from near the end of era. One of the finest shows before a New Years gig Nearly a year later, a return to Pauley Pavilion at UCLA would bring another killer set, killer show - 11.25.79 - Lots of primo stuff here along with a 2nd set opener "Shakedown Street -> Bertha", dont miss this one A week and half later, far from the sunshine of LA, "Shakedown Street" is performed for the faithful - 12.5.79 - Uptown Theatre - Chicago, IL. One of the finest from the era
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yes, 11/20 sounds pretty good, although I don't have a great copy of it. I would listen to more versions if I had more great sounding copies. As it stands, 11/24 out of Estimated is the best sounding one I have. My exact point though - it would be awesome if they released more shows with Shakedown from the Godchaux era. I doubt very much they would ever do something like, but it would be cool to have (i.e. multiple live versions of the same song on one CD). As it stands, we only have 1 Shakedown Street, 1 From the Heart of Me, and 3 Stagger Lee / I Need A Miracle. As they just released DaP 15 and July '78 box is on the horizon, I doubt we'll hear much new '78 for quite some time. So how about some Jan / Feb '79 for DaP 20........
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Is everybody else getting charged for this right when they order? In the past I remember them charging me when it shipped. I now have a charge that isn't just pending, but went through awhile back on my card. Is this the new way they're doing these pre-orders?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Kevin, I've wondered the same thing about that disparity. I do not disagree with direwulf and Dennis - but I do think there is a more positive reason for many people who go to shows like FTW, but don't come to this site, know about archival releases, etc: I suspect for many it's a matter of choosing direct experience over recordings. One could even say it's more positive - I wonder about my collecting mania when it comes to these releases. I like having the release for years to come, makes sense to me. But, to others that may seem misguided, since it also limits my budget for live concerts in the here and now. I'd rather hear the 1978 band or the 1981 band over the 2015 band - but I totally understand the opposite view - why listen to old recordings when you can go to a show? I've had people express amazement that I would spend 100 bucks on a box set, but they'll drop that amount on drinks and apps at a pub without blinking - which to me feels like burning money. It's all good...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

Match that up against anything you have ever heard and tell me which reins supreme. And just for sharing...where the heck is 1980 Alaska; High Auditorium? I write Dave all the time and he never responds. Might be the absolute tightest you hear of the boys - Black Peter, Stella, Estimated and so on! For the novelty could we please get the '83 Jamaica show? I heard it wasn't so great (430AM-7AM on an airplane strip), but I would like to own it. '78 is quietly better to me than '77 because they condense to smaller venues. Give me '78, '80, '82 from post 1975. Puff
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

can`t remember when for me was the last time to drink down a hundred bucks - i count in CDs and books , so that means an average of 4-6 CDs or 3 - 5 hardcover books. OOps i forgot , i`m a smoker still and a pack of cigs cost an average of 5 bucks here....well , i`d do both - go to shows of Bobby and Phil and collect the old stuff but i can`t here in Austria....
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

i`m still thankful - Dennis sent me a Furthur show via Dropbox - for some new technical stuff and yet frustrated cause there are some new medias i have problems to get by with and - what counts more - haven`t got the time to digitalize my physical collection of thousands of CDs and LPs. I know i`ll have to soon - otherwise i risk that in the future a good portion of the discs has scars et c.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yep, sad to say everyone is getting charged when they order rather than at shipping time. I contacted customer service about this and they replied: "Due to the various payment issues with the Fare Thee Well box set, the company has decided to capture the funds of the pre-orders the morning after they are placed. We had quite a few issues where the item was shipped, but the funds were not captured due to expired authorizations, insufficient funds, etc." This raises a number of issues, but I didn't consider it reasonable to charge for expensive items such as this weeks before the item is released, so I contacted Dr. Rhino on the matter and although he didn't have a lot to say, he did say this: "There may be exceptions to this policy, for certain future releases. We will also review our communications, regarding the implementation of this policy." So there you have it. Typically we will now be charged when we place a (pre)order rather than at shipping time.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Saw the Experience Hendrix 2016 show last Friday at Casino Ballroom in Hampton Beach NH. Always a good show. Featured guitarists: Dweezil Zappa, Quinn Sullivan, Eric Johnson, Zakk Wylde, Jonny Lang, Mato Nanji, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Buddy Guy. If they do a summer tour - check it out... Quinn Sullivan is a 16 year old kid from New Bedford MA, very impressed with his skills at that age. Zakk was Wylde.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

attended and remember being underwhelmed...it was first show since my first show 7/18/82. listening to it today on archive. sounds better than I recall (33 years later)
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I see my friends do it all the time, but when it comes to spending on money with other stuff, HAHA you better not ask them At the local bar I go to quite often, yesterday a regular noticed my Grateful Dead shirt while he was smoking and said "the Grateful Dead !" I smiled and said "you like the tee huh ?" http://www.gdao.org/items/show/283747 He quickly leaned down to lift his jeans above ankle to show he has a killer tattoo with skeleton wearing top hat smoking cigar. Just looking at his tattoo I could tell he was a true fan, but I would certainly bet money he has no idea of the new releases, Daves Picks and other box sets. Definetely not the first person I have encountered at this bar that is a fan of GD, but does not really keep tabs on them lately
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

When you mentioned this show and a Charlie miller soundboard I had to check my copy and see if it was up to snuff,,, it was. Though all the talk is Shakedown I turned to It Must Have Been the Roses. Has this song gotten much talk? I love this song, the feeling of nostalgic melancholy really grabs hold and I like older Jerry voice on it, it's softer and has more "looking back" in it. I have wondered over the years,,, is Annie dead? Did she lay down from being overworked and past? I feel the people are not moneyed since glass is missing from the window. Time has certainly passed since the ribbons have faded. And what do you think she told him? (if I tell another what your own lips told to me) Is it just "I love you"? Great song.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Do the GD almost always follow a "sad" song with a "happy" song?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

In my not too knowledgable opinion, I don't consider any GD songs sad. The slow songs, ballads perhaps, always strike me as reflective. Like Days Between for instance- a song that is full of wisdom and imagery. It doesn't seem like a "sad" song- more like a wise song. My interpretation is do the GD often follow a slow song with a faster paced song- and yes they do. Suppose it's part of the ebb and flow that make the concerts such a great experience.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A few months ago I had a great moment. My son, 26 years old with a good musical ear, but not a Dead Head, heard a Shakedown I had from somewhere. He came running into my room and said "Where has this been my whole life"! All I could do was smile, smile, smile! Rock on
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Purple - that's hilarious - I do that to (counting in CDs, books, etc). Of course, now that I have a kid I also count in things like tuition savings, ha. But in my head, it will also be in units of music and reading. As for spending 100 bucks in a pub, oh it's easy. Buy a few drinks for friends, round of apps... doesn't take long (but okay, maybe 50 bucks!). My wife's aunt had an extra ticket to see Kansas the other night at a wonderful old theater here in western Mass (they were actually fantastic - some super tight prog-rock, I enjoyed the hell out of it). Since I didn't pay for my ticket, I bought one drink for myself, and a total of three glasses of wine for the folks who gave me the ticket. That cost me 36 bucks! when you count the tips (this was a fundraiser but still). ...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey Puffbecker - good call on the Alaska box. I've been whining about that for years, bring on "The Grateful Dead in the Land of the Midnight Sun." I love that run. And Deadegad's September '79 box too! :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

The Beer tastes have grown and changed over the years . I think the possible scenario is they had plenty of production time for everything from (from encrypting the cds to printing up the books and/or programs)a. The orders start coming in and sales look pretty good. Then it's learned San Jose'(?) isn't going to be included and then to add insult to injury concerts with BW,BK,MH and John Mayer are announced. In order to say "Fare Thee Well"" you have to go somewhere! I think Rhino jumped the gun on this one and started production of the components before everything was known and well thought out.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Interesting take on Must Have Been the Roses; in fact I had never given it very much thought but your idea of death is an interesting one and it seems you're not the first to think this. A brief search brought this up on a like-minded board: http://gratefuldead.tribe.net/thread/2a059d9a-2516-4f22-9dbc-52d39ef5a8… And in terms of playing slower songs followed by more upbeat songs, as mentioned by Zuck, this was a pretty conscious decision by the band and would help with those peaks and valleys they led us All through. Makes for some sweet juxtapositions and tugging at your soul. I almost always find, too, that these 'slower songs', when played well, will crescendo into something nearly explosive - a power that only the GD could summon regularly. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

The Beer tastes have grown and changed over the years, but it's still fun to have one every now and then I think the possible scenario is they had plenty of production time for everything (from encrypting the cds to printing up the books and/or programs). The orders start coming in and sales look pretty good. Then it's learned San Jose'(?) isn't going to be included and then to add insult to injury concerts with BW,BK,MH and John Mayer are announced. In order to say "Fare Thee Well"" you have to go somewhere! I think Rhino jumped the gun on this one and started production of the components before everything was known and well thought out. I think it's more than likely they'll have box a sets for some time to come...
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

I gotta agree with Mr stulzfus. A bad Shakedown is hard to find. I listened to 4 Shakedowns this morning with my coffee, (6/30/85, Egypt, 8/13/79, 3/30/87) and every one of them sounded fantastic. Trying to pick one over the other would have been splitting a very fine hair.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Living where I do, I have the opportunity to entertain a lot. Usually interesting people but not necessarily heads.. I get the what do you see in the GD question a lot. Most people just don't get it and when you do put it on, they talk over it anyway.. so I don't give it much attention these days, but if someone asks me to put it on, I will and if I'm in the mood I will put it on just because I want to. So one of my buddies came to me about a month ago and said, "Hey.. they played this GD song on the radio on my way home from work that I really liked. It sounded a bit disco." I replied Shakedown Street and got a YES, that's the song answer. For some reason that song does have a crossover appeal, even people that despise disco like it and refer to it as having a disco beat. I will call that the hbob factor. Even the Dukes of September covered it. Oh, I agree with the others, its hard to find a bad shakedown. So long as Jerry keeps his vocals together, it always has the potential to be a smoker.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

12/31/1984 released on So Many Roads
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html