• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Minnesota
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Help! You're a rock!!!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Sanjay Mishra-Blue Incantation w/ guest Jerry Garcia.A little different & really good. Get some if ya wanna... :) ..sounds like Jerry & Sanjay took turns on the lead thru-out just to make us guess which one it was. Good stuff. Clouds is an easy tell & one of the best of the bunch.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

You said it One Man, where IS wjonjd? He was a fixture around here for a while, and while his knowledge of all things Dead is what's most important, his technical prowess is a much appreciated resource when it comes time to figuring out the tough questions (like, IS DaP 4 mono? pssst, answer - technically no, but for all intents and purposes, yes). Thin, I started putting together an answer to your question yesterday, and then work drew me away (have to keep those servers running!) Hopefully today. wharfrattx - serendipity is upon us, as I listened to 4/8/78 on the way into work yesterday. I've been digging for all things '78 since the announcement, and I have a great soundboard of this from a cool dude. Also into 1/30, 4/10, and 4/16 this week, and I am pleased as can be I found these. It truly does not matter how similar these set lists are to 1977, it's a wholly different experience.
user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

What the heck....?! Dead.net wasn't supposed to do this, yet! Were they? I recall seeing something about my card not being charged until shipping. Oh well... at least it's paid and accounted for. 3/18/16 DAI*SHOPDEADNET.COM Merchandise $139.93 Transaction Date Thursday, 3/17/2016 Posted Date Friday, 3/18/2016 Appears on your statement as: DAI*SHOPDEADNET.COM 877-3323638 CA 94104 US
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

KeithFan - Yes, would love to know what songs may have peaked in '78. Also, Glad to hear you have been digging into some early April '78. I have long had 4/8, 4/11, 4/15, 4/16 and thought they were pretty good in general. But they seem to be getting passed over for releases, and The Tapers Compendium seems to kind of downplay them. Can someone who knows these shows well share their thoughts? Curious where they think the good stuff is in these shows, and opinions overall.
user picture

Member for

10 years

IF I recall correctly, I think the Warfield/Radio City shows aren't able to be released as full shows because they were too cut up/copied over when compiling Dead Set/Reckoning. At least the copies in the vault.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Posting again for interest... site was down not accepting ... i think it's fixed now. Posting again for interest... The site was not accepting donations for a while.... Please read... consider donating. Hey.... The child of a friend of our family has been fighting leukemia since he was 2 years old. It's one of those times in life you realize how unfair life is, the curveballs it throws at some families. My cousin's child has had it for years.. then a few weeks ago, someone bought a CD from me and we started talking, and he's fighting aggressive leukemia also. I called in to the Golden Road and discussed with David Gans the serendipity of the band, how good things surrounding the Dead come together for people, how things are meant to be, and we discussed this guy's story, and how the music is helping him heal and deal with his treatments... and how in the treatment room, the fellow Deadheads started showing up, as the music played..etc... But seriously now....How many more people have to have this? Anyway, coming up I'm pulling a firetruck for childhood leukemia awareness, as sponsored by our family friends who I mentioned had a child with leukemia. Amazingly, a few weeks after the event, the mom is shaving her head to raise money! As my wife wrote on Facebook Brian "Bam-Bam" Hahne is going to help pull a fire truck. Please consider donating. All proceeds go to the Palmetto Health Children's cancer clinic. Anyway, I thought, in honor of that family, and the cool Deadhead who I spoke of on the Golden Road, if folks here sponsored me $1, I'd hit our goal.... I will wear my Jerry Garcia hat while pulling, and wearing my super-Kellen t-shirt. Here's the link, if you're inspired to do so. https://secure3.4agoodcause.com/curing-kids-cancer/fundraisers/personal-... Thanks and enjoy the weekend. ‪#‎BeKind‬ -Brian Hahne
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I've been going very (too) slowly through Boxilla, and luck would have it that I've now reached May 14, 1978, Providence. Only listened to Half Step on the way to work today (short commute, alas). Wow. Though I have been among those who detect a "decline" in Keith's playing (what Blair Jackson called a turn to "blocky chordal playing"), I sure don't hear it on this magnificent Half Step. The sound mix is dialed in almost from the start; everyone is locked in; Jerry is in Spring '78 growl mode; his guitar lines are sweeter than any 77 version I know of, yet slightly seared by that Wolf tone. I tend to think of '78 as harder edged than 77, which I suppose it is, but this version is more delicate than any I've heard from 77. In short: Starting with Dave's 15 (4/22/78) and just after one song of 5/14/78, combined with this upcoming 78 box - my view of this year has been seriously altered. Thank you Dave. Footnote: The sound quality of the Red Rocks Wharf Rat is WAY better than the copy of Red Rocks 78 I have on CDR. And then to hear those first three shows of July for the first time in SBD... in BETTY sbd...? Sold.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

This material was mostly copied over/recycled in 1981 after they did Dead Set/Reckoning since they figured they had done all they were gonna do with it. The economy was crap (18% interest rates!!!) - Cash was king and tapes were expensive. I'm sure some original material is remaining, but most if it is gone, sadly.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey Brian - it is indeed a good cause. You'll be happy to know that my daughter's school is doing a fundraiser for children's leukemia, and one of her friends (in First Grade!) is a survivor. So that is where I'm putting my time and effort for this cause. Didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you :)
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I too find 7/7/78 and 7/8/78 from my collection to be noticeably inferior to the Wharf Rat sample. 7/7 especially always felt like the levels were too low or something. Probably done on purpose by the source to make sure they always had THE best copy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

First posted this a few months ago. Deadhead 1: I love that Grateful Dead song about the flowers. Deadhead 2: You mean "Scarlet Begonias?" Deadhead 1: No, "I Need A Marigold Everyday."
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

There is no problem with Keith's abilities discernible from any recordings. I believe this was a rumor that started from a long standing Wikipedia entry on Keith Godchaux, that was recently removed, due to a lack of source citing. Agree with what others have said, in that the change in musical direction they took pot hiatus didn't lend itself to all of the great improv stuff he was known for. It's a little scary that one unsubstantial article on the Internet may have played such a large role in what appears to be a misconception about a man's legacy, but the Wiki entry is the only place I ever saw mention of a degradation in performance. The music simply didn't support his style. Would love to read a Donna Bio, what is she waiting for...
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I'm jumping into this topic a bit late, but I felt compelled to weigh in on the subject. First of all, I'm including Canadian acts in my list, and I'm thinking in terms of rock n' roll, so I'm sorta throwing blues/soul/r&b/jazz acts out of the equation (because if I didn't, this list would be unruly in numbers. Also, I'm leaving out early pioneers of rock n' roll (i.e. Elvis, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Chuck Berry) for the same reasons... too many in number. In my opinion, the term "great bands" are not limited to those who were commercially successful, but more importantly, encompasses those who had a profound affect upon their contemporaries, but even more so, those who came after and were influenced by said bands. In no particular order, my list of Great American Bands (and I might be leaving a few out just because I can't think of them right now) are:1) Grateful Dead (let's get the obvious out of the way); 2) The Velvet Underground; 3) Allman Brothers Band; 4) Talking Heads; 5) New York Dolls and/or Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers (and/or because they tended to influence the same people or have the same affects upon their contemporaries); 6) Creedence Clearwater Revival; 7) Big Star; 8) The Byrds; 9) Flying Burrito Brothers; 10) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band; 11) Iggy and the Stooges; 12) MC5 (though I was never really a fan); 13) R.E.M.; 14) The Replacements; 15) X (again... never a huge fan, but they had vast influence over their contemporaries and those who came after them); 16) Husker Du; 17) The Black Crowes; 18) The Band (I forgot them until now); 19) Neil Young and Crazy Horse; 20) Nirvana; 21) Pearl Jam; and 22) Uncle Tupelo. That's enough for now.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

don't forget 13th floor elevators and Grand Funk Railroad claims at least to be American we're an American band we're an American band we come into your town we'll help you party it down we're an American band great American band? probably not. but they were american, dammit.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

It's possible that almost anything sung to the tune of S and G's "I am a Rock" becomes humorous. How about this for the chorus- "My shoes smell bad. My shoes smell nasty. Please come clean my shoes. I'll provide the soap- Come scrub away the nasty of my shoes"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

How are you going to include NY Dolls/Johnny Thunders on a greatest American bands list and leave off the much better and much more influential...Ramones?!?!?!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Zuck, I can help. Try this.. bleach water, repeat. Bleach water repeat.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

So I'll just put them in my own personal faves order: 1. Grateful Dead 2. The Replacements 3. Uncle Tupelo 4. Big Star 5. Velvet Underground 6. Pixies (OK...there's a new one) 7. Jane's Addiction 8. Flying Burrito Brothers & Byrds (Gram Parsons era for each) 9. The Stooges 10. Ramones 11. REM 12. Creedence Clearwater Revival 13. Husker Du 14. Blake Babies 15. X
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In addition to missing Fla Bob, I'm surprised Kate hasn't piped in yet. This box seems right up her alley... (and hey, Cosmic Badger, where you be?)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 6 months

I would definitely say the Doors are a great American band. Their first album is amazing and still delights me, and I have been listening to it for 50 years?!? I would also put Hendrix in the list. For me, Axis Bold As Love is one the great rock albums of all time. Also, the live Hendrix set at Monterey Pop is one of the great live shows of all time IMHO. His version of "Like A Rolling Stone" is both funky and transcendent. I love the Byrds, especially Fifth Dimension and Younger Than Yesterday. Finally, I would add Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. I saw them at Duke University in 1973(saw the Dead there the same year!). Zappa, George Duke, Ruth Underwood, and the band were on fire, They opened with RDNZL and took my breath away!Oh, and there are all those other great American bands!
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Droidmec, oh I'm indeed envious that you were in attendance for that '73 Zappa/moi show at Duke. I've had a boot of that for years. The sound quality is borderline but my oh my, what a performance!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm happy to see the Burrito Bros (and Byrds) get a solid nod. Short lived, but they had a grand influence on lots of artists we know and love. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong.. they released their 'cover' of Wild Horses in '68. The stones did not record it until '69 and didn't put it to vinyl until April, 1971 for Sticky Fingers. Its correctly credited to Jagger/Richards, but I think they were the first to release it at least a year before the Stones worked out the Sticky Fingers arrangement at Muscle Shoals.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 1 month

7/3/78 was my first show, so I'm psyched to get this release. I've had the tape and older CD release for a while, but it will be nice to hear it fresh from the Betty Board. And I saw every show in St. Paul (and Bloomington, MN) from this one on, and I don't believe they did "Big River" at any of them. I'm not sure if it was deliberate or not.
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Jim - the FBB had permission from Keith and Mick to make the first recording of Wild Horses, but in 1970, not 1968. It was on their 2nd album, Burrito Deluxe. You get a gold star anyway!
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

As I stated in my original post... I knew I'd forget a few. The Ramones are definitely on my list, as are Pixies, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and Jimi Hendrix Experience. I would also throw in Paul Butterfield Blues Band. However, I'd have to leave Blake Babies and the Doors on the cutting room floor.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

A sign of old age and mortality. I'll take the partial credit and admit defeat on timing.. Thanks for keeping me honest..
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

These lists have been great but it's disappointing I haven't seen T00L anywhere on these lists. With all the psychedelics, weird music and fun deadheads like to have it is always a surprise to find so few T00L fans in he dead scene. They even mention the band in a song of theirs, while it is rather tongue in cheek nonetheless it's there :) Seriously, start seeing them live and save some paper from Dead tour to take with you. Pleases and thank yous. Other notables not on a list yet and I'm sticking with rock (mostly) only too in an effort to be expedient. Kyuss Converge Heavy Blanket Voyag3r Dillinger escape plan Brian Jonestown Massacre Sleep The New Deal Nightmares on wax Morphine Das Muerte Faith No more Mr. Bungle Buckethead Nevermen
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

...with a psychedelic-painted face nonchalantly hooked her arm through mine...on a city street in Atlanta, GA in 1973. "Wanna see Zappa?" she asked. I knew Frank existed, but had never seen him live. "Sure," I said. "Here," she said, "swallow this." (Stupidly trustful?) I swallowed it...and followed her to the Fox Theater. She neither had nor showed a ticket. She eyed some guy at the door, who let us both in. On we walked...and walked...down the center aisle...and sat in the first row. Then Frank came out...with Napoleon Murphy Brock, George Duke and the rest. This was the greatest concert I ever saw. Frank was standing right in front of me...and he seemed 10 feet tall. The highlight was "Dog Breath," if you know the song, it starts out with 3 chords: hit hard four times...then five chords: pow pow pow pow pow! It was during those transcendent chords that I actually had the feeling of leaving my body...with no sense of panic. When the concert ended, the entire audience IMMEDIATELY stood up as one and demanded an encore that could not be denied...or forgotten!
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Thanks for mentioning Tool! I have loved them for a long time. A Perfect Circle, Maynard's side project band is also a favorite. I will always listen to the bands I loved when I was 19 years old. PJ Harvey Jane's Addiction Nine Inch Nails Ministry Depeche Mode The Smiths Joy Division All the Seattle Bands of the early 90's. Red Hot Chili Peppers 311 Metallica Just to name a few....
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

A classic show with a classic lineup of the Mothers. It's the 50the anniversary of Freak Out in June and I've been going back through his catalog since January. I find the early stuff difficult to listen to, but the Teen Rock Combo years in the late 70's right to the last tour in 1988 has some amazing live music in circuation.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I teach history, and I'm from Kansas City originally - I've seen many a Chiefs game at Arrowhead. Thus, I feel compelled to add some historic context for the July 1 Arrowhead show. Enjoy. Video: The band Missouri playing "Hold Me" at Arrowhead 7/1/78. Some great crowd/stadium footage (good performance too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uHya-Mc8U Poster: http://www.postertrip.com/members/images/3566a.jpg From "The History of Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnics": Willie played concerts at the Austin Opry House on July 4 and 5, billing both shows as Picnics. He also played a July 2 show at Texxas Jam in Dallas and a July 1 show in Kansas City, Mo. The traditional Picnic was still cooling its heels when Willie suggested having one at the Opry House to manager Tim O'Connor, and it proved to be a welcome respite from the heat and lawsuits. A few days earlier in Dallas, 25,000 didn't quite pack the Cotton Bowl ... and Willie admitted it just wasn't the same: "It's too controlled," he told the Washington Post. "I liked it better when it was out in the pasture." The July 1 event in Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City was billed as a "Fourth of July Picnic," but is notable because the short lineup included the Grateful Dead. "We didn't have an outdoor location, and it was at a time when we had to kind of stay out of Texas. ... It was two nights and it was the coolest Picnic we ever had," said Tim O'Connor of the indoor mini-Picnics in a 1987 interview with the Statesman. http://stillisstillmoving.com/willienelson/the-history-of-willie-nelson…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

As much as I've agreed with almost all of the bands listed so far, it is, in the end, a truly subjective exercise and primarily a function of personal taste. That said, I'd add the following American artists, who I don't recall seeing posted, as not only great, but important and influential (if overlooked in some cases). The Blasters Captain Beefheart Dispatch/State Radio Dylan Johnny Cash Galactic Hot Tuna Patti Smith Television Tom Waits Muddy Waters Chris Whitley Johnny Winter Wilco No doubt many others...to each his own.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Groovin to 3/22/72. this AOM run is freakin awesome! Should have been a box set somehow! 3/21 is a really good show also! The PITB absolutely smokes! Great all around! ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Yes, to 3/21 and 3/22! We definitely got the 2 best shows as complete ones, as well as the rest of the jams on the bonus discs, but I bet if those shows were recovered today, it would have been box set treatment. I was recently fortunate enough to score the Rockin' The Rhein AOM Bonus Disc as well as New Year's Eve At Winterland. I can't get enough of the AOM one. It truly is a One Disc Wonder, perhaps the best example of one. What are some other ODWs? Of the top of my head, DP16 Disc 2 is a the one that gives AOM Bonus a run for it's money.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Yes, to 3/21 and 3/22! We definitely got the 2 best shows as complete ones, as well as the rest of the jams on the bonus discs, but I bet if those shows were recovered today, it would have been box set treatment. I was recently fortunate enough to score the Rockin' The Rhein AOM Bonus Disc as well as New Year's Eve At Winterland. I can't get enough of the AOM one. It truly is a One Disc Wonder, perhaps the best example of one. What are some other ODWs? Of the top of my head, DP16 Disc 2 is a the one that gives AOM Bonus a run for it's money.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

What peaked in ’78 – now that’s a worthy discussion. Yeah, ’78 is interesting, isn’t it. The set lists are damn close to ’77, at least until you get to the Fall, with the Shakedown Street material. Well, I guess as a starting point, I’ll go with the songs in the set lists for this here July 1978: The Complete Recordings box set (I love the sound of it, drooling here just talking about it). At least the tracks that I think had some notable moments in 1978: Bertha – kinda sort of peaked, at least as far as post-hiatus performances go. I like it best in 1972, as I do most of those older tunes. Veneta is probably my favorite, and most of the E72 versions are in the same ballpark. Like a lot of songs, it kind of mellowed in the ’74 versions (or at least it sounds mellow in the recordings we now have of it). Post-hiatus though, I like the 1978 versions best, as Jerry started delivering a biting, aggressive solo, and the Wolf’s sharp mid-range tone makes this one a rocker again. So maybe it didn’t “peak” in ’78 per se, but it returned to the forefront as a rocker. The Spring ’77 versions are just ok to me – they seem to be tame compared to what they would become in ’78. DaP 12 (Alright Hamilton!) and DP 10 in late ’77 start to pick up the aggression again, and then DP 18 and DaP 15 (Sleeper of ’78) are hot, as far as official releases, and 1/30 is hot on the soundboards. From Egypt With Love has a decent Bertha. I’d be remiss in my post-hiatus Bertha coverage if I didn’t mention DP 20, which has Keith in “rolling thunder” mode on the piano – love it. Cassidy – this is one of my favorite Bobby tunes, and it seemed to get better every year they played it, culminating in my favorite performance from DaP 7, 4/24/78 (Return To Normal with the Grateful Dead). Other great April versions are 4/10 at the Fox and 4/16 in Huntington, WV. I also enjoy DP 25 and 30 Trips ’78. What makes 1978 great: smooth and tight every time; Jerry’s solos step up from “feeling around” to “command and control”; Keith’s piano accompaniment has largely migrated from rhythmic chords to improvisational melodies (particularly during the Fare Thee Be Well Now arrangement); the outro jam section after FTBWN is smoother, longer and faster, with Jerry leading the charge for several more bars than earlier versions; but here’s where it really kicks ass time and again - Bobby & Donna have mastered the song as a vocal duet by 1978, and their timing and harmony is precise – really just beautiful every time. There are some great ’77 versions as well, but I think ’78 is when they peaked and the song reached its fullest potential. Estimated Prophet – The Jerry solo that takes hold around 3:45 or so and only in 1978 goes on for a minute and forty seconds typically, I think as long as two minutes on one of the soundboards I have. I also like the back-to-basics electric piano sound Keith employs, and the Dick’s Picks 18 mix is my favorite. But the outro jam also goes on and on in ’78, and the song times in at the 12 – 15 range, where it was only ranging from 8 – 11 minutes in ’77. Longer = better in Dead Land. The Music Never Stopped – The jam at 3:45 or so also goes on for two minutes, not so unlike Estimated Prophet. And it’s a great arrangement that they began developing in late ’77, coming to a face melting climax on DaP 7 (Return to Normal with the Grateful Dead) and DP 18. Donna also perfected her delivery of this one to its utmost in 1978. Just listen to her deliver some of these lines like “There’s a band out on the highway” and “Greet the morning air with song” – it’s fantastic, and it got much better with each year. Similar to Cassidy, she and Bobby reach a synchronicity with the co-delivery of the vocals on this one that is better and better with each tour. And then there’s the ending jam to this one, which also reaches its peak in ’78. I enjoy a lot of ’77 versions too, but it’s ’78 where all of this Dead things come together. Franklin’s Tower – what?? WHAT??? Ok, I enjoy the Holy Trinity as much as the next Dead Head, and it’s a damn shame they don’t play it in 1978 – or is it? Take a listen to 4/10/78 out of Stella Blue or 1/30/78 out of Drums. 4/10 is nearly flawless and it goes places that no former version went; 1/30 has an audience patch for just about 30 seconds before the vocals, and there are some missed lines by Jerry, but the music is all balls. Those two clock in at 13:37 and 17:09, so you’re getting your money’s worth. They really rocked this song up a notch in ’78, and while I’ll be the first to admit, this song fell victim to the ’78 sloppies at times, but they really hit the ball out of the park on a few of these, and unfortunately, you wouldn’t know it unless you’re a soundboard collector, as there are no officially release 1978 versions of Franklin’s Tower….until we get our dirty filthy hands on the July 1978 Complete Recordings box set in two months. I have not listened to the Red Rocks version, but I’m praying it’s even better than the couple I mentioned. I admit, it’s a new love affair for me, Franklin’s Tower circa ’78, so it will be interesting to see if I change my mind after revisiting ’76 and ’77. I’m massively disappointed that the new Dave’s Picks shows from ’76 do not have a version, but Red Rocks may quench that fire, we’ll see. Deal – I prefer the one drummer versions, especially the 1972 renditions, so like Bertha, I think the real peak is ’72; but for post-hiatus, ’78 is where Donna goes off the hook, don’t you let that deEEAAL go down style ending. I like it. Terrapin Station – I’m not sure. There are some extended passages in the Closing of Winterland version that I really like, but I don’t have enough ’78 Terrapin yet. We’ll say “possibly peaked in ‘78” on this one, and revisit after the box release. The ’77 versions are almost all perfect, but there’s something about that Winterland 12/31/78 version that grabs me, and while it’s my favorite version, I’m not sure that it’s consistent across ’78, and therefore worthy of saying it peaked. The Other One - for post-hiatus versions, it peaked in ’78 for sure. One listen to Dick’s Picks 18 and From Egypt with Love ought to firm that up. Wharf Rat – again, ’72 is the year if I had to pick one year, but it definitely had a revival in ’78 that made ’78 the king of post-hiatus Wharf Rat. Some good ’77 versions, but I think the Wolf brings out those spacey opening chords like I need to hear them, and the outro jam is hot hot hot (especially 4/22/78, the Sleeper of ’78) The Wheel – need more ’78 versions! But nothing comes close to Dick’s Picks 18, and the Wolf is largely the reason once again. I admit, I’m banking it all on this one version, but it’s that much better: the dreamy magic carpet ride that Jerry and Keith take you on for the first minute before the chorus kicks in is sublime, face melting, Deadness. And this song is to Jerry and Donna what Cassidy is to Bobby and Donna by ’78 – a masterful duet. ’76 had those drum intros that completely change the mood, and not for the good, which is presumably why Jerry did away with it in lieu of the guitar intro. ’76 did have a couple of long running jams at the tail end (30 Trips ’76 & So Many Roads), and you don’t get that from Dick’s Picks 18, but it’s not really The Wheel at that point anyway, so no need to feel like you’re missing that if go with ’78 for the desert island – simply cut the ends off of those versions and call them Jam. DaP 1 and DP 29 are two great ’77 versions that come close to the 2/3/78 gold standard that is DP 18, but not quite there. If you’re not familiar, put it on loud and maybe turn up the treble. Who Are You – never sounded better than ’78, except maybe that blistering live version from MSG after 9/11. Townshend’s guitar was on 11 with some extra cowbell that night. But outside of that live performance, the studio version right on Who Are You is the only place you need to……wait a minute…..
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

It's is a contraction for it is, not possessive for "it". Pet peeve. All time champion single disc goes to (drum roll) Road Trips 4.3 Bonus Disc (2011) recorded 12/6/73 in Cleveland. GSET, China>Rider, Dark Star (43:33)> Eyes. Drool. And while we're talking about 1978, let's talk about the ridiculous 4/12/78.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Brian Wilson amazing song writer. Santana - amazing guitar with tremendous musicians behind him. If you're including Canada - Rush, Joni Mitchell, Guess Who
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmr3o0_92f0 Jerry and somebody else helping out on percussion during drums, Townsend style windmills during Truckin' and feet so light he's floating on US Blues. I'm not sure if I would believe it if I didn't see the video. Good call.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thanks KeithFan - very thorough! A great read. Surprised to hear '72 as a fav version of so many songs. It's funny to compare '72 to '78 - like looking at the Beatles in '63 and again in '69, they were SUCH a different band. Finesse versus Animal from the Muppets. Agree on many counts - Estimated, Bertha, Music Never Stopped, Wheel. All were great in '77, but they turned Pro in '78. The Other One is also a monster in '78, as you noted - I would point to 1/22/78. But the Other One's from '72 vs '78 are hard to compare... '72 Other One was kinda jazzy much of the time, and '78 is a hairy, primal beast. One you didn't mention that I'm sure you may have considered is Not Fade Away. Englishtown '77 is a foreshadowing of the '78 NFA's. Long, patient, funky... NFA from the recent Dave releases are awesome - possibly peaking in '78 imo. I love the pictures of Jerry in '78 with grown out 'fro and the dark Ray Bans, digging' his new custom-made axe named Wolf - Mr.Cool.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Sadly, I don't see Passenger on the new box but it may have peaked in 1978, maybe in Normal. I love the longer, jammier versions, even if they were due to a mis-cue that circled them through lala land.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

YES, do check out that video of 4/12/78. I rubbed my eyes and pinched my arm, and it was still happening. Jerry was possessed by demons.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

The version of US Blues from this show sets the standard for me- of just how intense this song could be. On a list of favorite Jerry moments, this US Blues would make the list- He's so charged, even the jam is over the top. But it's really Jerry's vocals that do it here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

4/12/78 U.S. Blues is just a power house and from that grainy film footage one can see how animated Jerry is. The Bertha>Good Lovin' is equally inspired. The band is very energized on this night. Too bad about the mic issues though.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html