• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Thanks to all for your input on He's Gone. I will play them all, but on the way to the services this week, I think I'll go with '73 from the box first, and on the way home, '77 Englishtown and Dick's 1-'73 Tampa. And I will play the rest and more throughout the week. Perhaps this will overtake Dark Star as my favorite Dead song??
Ahhhhh no, but it is a GREAT song!!

Happy Monday all!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Well, first I want to say I'm sorry for your loss. I consider myself an eternal optimist, so I look for the Silver Lining and everything. Your friend no longer has to deal with cancer and that's silver lining I took out of my mother's death from cancer.

My favorite three versions of He's Gone are the first three they ever played: 4/17/72, 4/24/72, and 4/26/72. These were fast versions. Rockin the rhein was the 424 show and the first that I've ever heard this song. On the one hand I find a lot of the firsts still among my top favorites, which speaks to liking what you're familiar with; on the other hand they had a tendency to release some of the best Dead shows first, so the cream of the crop was mostly what was available. But anyway, another distinction about these first three versions is, other than being fast, is that they don't have the " going where the Winds Don't Blow so strange" bridge ij the middle. I'm fine with that, especially on 424 because the infamous " my dog has no nose" joke is made. So I would go with this one.

They didn't start doing the Winds Don't Blow Bridge until the 4th performance on April 29th in Munich. At the Europe 72 version from May 10th really confuses matters because it includes the "ooooooh nothing's going to bring him back" CODA, yet they never actually played it on that Europe 72 tour. The original Europe 72 release came out in November I believe after they had already Incorporated that ending in to the song, which happened sometime in July.

Also check out the final show of the Europe 72 tour. That version features Bobby with some tremolo on his guitar that sounds really cool and spacey. I can't think of any other version where he does this.

And if you're looking for a high-quality version of the Winds Don't Blow so Strange section, go no further than the Dave's Picks release from Berkeley. Uncle Gary pointed that one out to me, and I regard him as one of the most knowledgeable Deadheads still walking the planet. It had of course passed me by initially, but after an email from Uncle Gary where he pointed out how good this one was I was really impressed. This is a hard section to get the vocals just exactly perfect on, but they pull it off here.

And while I prefer these earlier versions, you can't miss out on Dick's Picks 15 from Englishtown 1977. I'm pretty sure this is the one will be extra special sauce Jam ending.

Real sorry for your loss, God bless him.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I'm not getting the four alarm fire from that website anymore. I got it twice last night, I forget what the exact message was, a click here your windows is corrupt fishing scam.. but today it seems fine. I am quite sure it was that site. I wonder if they were temporarily compromised and fixed it?? Anyway, looks fine today.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Stoltzfus, yes the Dr. Beachwood Dr. Shots,.... Mr Ones i agree with the 9/3/77 Englishtown He's Gone.... Also the June 73 He's Gone and the jam after. Check out 5/26/73, Kezar, He's Gone into Truckin, i think it has a very unique Jam and deep Phil backgrounds.... 5/26/73 Kezar hasn't been released yet but there are amazing sounding boards out there!!! bob t

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Sorry for your loss Mr Ones. My favorite two were 11/18/72 Hofheinz and the night before, 11/17/72 DaP 11. I also love Veneta, but those later fall ones were jammed out more. Love the '73 ones from PacNW as mentioned. Off the top of my head, DaP 17 7/19/74 is my favorite '74 version. In May '81 they did the Bobby Sands one, can't remember the DP #, and one for Bob Marley, both are very good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It hasn’t been mentioned yet, but try He’s Gone from 5/21/77. So good, so tight, and with a terrific outro jam.........

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Been playing that a lot lately, especially the 10/9/89 version...

Sorry for your loss Mr Ones...May the four winds blow him safely home!
Sad, but like KF said, at least their not in that realm and suffering anymore....I say they, because my pops passed on 2/20/20 after having a good run with the Big C. Diagnosed and first treated in late 2015, we almost lost him in 2017, but the old bastard bounced back and was able to have almost 3 really good years before things started to deteriorate. Fortunately, he had a good passing. Not too much suffering, and died less than a week after going on hospice and getting pumped up on 5 of methedone. Knew the end was near, but wasn’t ready for a 2AM call. Didn’t think he was going to get out that quick....Found him in the wee hours when they were doing rounds, he had been asleep. We should all be that lucky!

Sorry, I wasn’t going to post about it, and that’s why I’ve been gone, but just typing this is helping, knowing there’s so many kind folks out there listening...
Have been checking in and you’ve all been so busy lately, so many great topics etc. it’s been nice to come here and take a time out and hang, but I’ve missed contributing....so hopefully things will start to get back to normal. Like more time for Dead...been mostly listening to June/July 76 with what little listening time I’ve had. Really stoked for the new box.
It’s true: MUSIC HEALS!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

ah yes.. Dicks Picks 13. What a unique release and quite good. I was thinking of that He's Gone myself and went so far as to figure out what show (5/6/81) and listen to it once, "This one's for Bobby Sands." That could have been the last of the great 81's... (hopefully I'm wrong about that).

Again, like all have mentioned.. sorry to hear of this and music is paramount to healing for most of us here.

Oroborous, I did notice your absence, but assumed you were just busy. Very sorry to hear of your journey, but it sounds like you have the right attitude.

Events both good and bad seem to come in waves, the pendulum is always swinging about seemingly randomly.. Looks many changes are upon us and the pendulum is tacking in another direction. I think I am going to hit some of that late 72 stuff that was mentioned a few posts ago. Seems appropriate for the day.

Be safe all.. and to the kind soul out there that send me a little (almost) surprise package. Many thanks.. like Christmas in February.

Big Yup! The He's Gone on Dick's 13 at Nassau is passionately heartfelt and dedicated to Bobby Sands after dying while on hunger strike in The H-Blocks and nine more hunger strikers would also die one by one.

Dick Latvala himself described this show as 'The Big One" from the eighties with playing and jamming quite unlike anything they played previously or afterward. That says it all.

Mr. One: my condolences. Be well.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Sugaree

Roll

over

baby

and I'll come home

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Good vibes to you Mr Ones. Have you heard the 12.1.79 version? That has been my favorite for like 20 years, hope you have a chance to give it a spin.

I vividly remember hearing these June '76 shows for the first time. There used to be this bar in DC named The Grog and Tankard, and every Monday a Dead cover band named The Next Step would play. That was some rowdy shit, you could sneak in beers, light up in the parking lot, totally out of control in the best way possible. Anyway, I met this guy who had a WALL full of tapes, he had EVERYTHING in 1992, and every Monday after the show we'd hit his place and he's slide me like 10 tapes to record and give back the next Monday. I've been in love with these shows and hoping for their release ever since, simply can't wait! Been doing some homework in preparation, RT's 4.5 (6.9.76), D/L Series 4 (6.18.76), DaP 28 (6.18.76), DiP 33 (10.9-10.76) - my favorite, and of course Cow Palace 12.31.76. We're the luckiest fans in all of music!

Sorry for you loss OROBOROUS. Losing a parent is a tough one. End of life suffering is the worse.

I am sure you know plenty of Dead favorites to help left your spirits. Hang in there.

My condolences to you Mr. Ones for your loss.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

So the souncheck was on Sirius today when i was driving to a meeting. Back in late 80's a well connected tape trader that let me tape a ton of shows from, told me the whole reason the boards suck from the Dead's 7/28/73 show is Jerry was pissed that it was going to be broadcast and went and pulled out all the plugs (think Forrest Gump speaking at DC rally in the movie)... Has anyone heard this before. Doesn't sound like something he would do but, just curious if anyone else every heard this... Thanks.. bob t

I was thinking about this show the other day myself.. wouldn't it be a nice box if the whole thing got released.. the Band, The Allman Brothers and the GD. I bet this wouldn't get that much resistance from the other bands today..

As for the rumor, that's a new one for me.

Edit: I found this on Miller transfer from the archive regarding sound:
-All of the 1st set and most of the 2nd set has been pitch corrected. The 1st set was a mess. As I understand it, the deck was inadvertantly on battery power and it wasn't until after "Here Comes Sunshine" that someone realized that the deck was not plugged in. Consequently, there were serious speed issues, culminating in the "chipmunks on speed" version of "Here Comes Sunshine". What made things even more difficult was the fact that the speed issues were non-linear, requiring the pitch to be adjusted in as little as 0:10 increments, with the speed being both slow, then fast, in a matter of seconds. Just to give an idea of the severity, the raw transfer of "Here Comes Sunshine" (HCS Raw) has been included in this torrent for your listening pleasure.
- Sadly, this copy also exhibits a "static" like scratching noise in parts of "He's Gone" and "Truckin'", which has been minimized as best as possible

Is this the part where I am supposed to say Morning Rockers?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

This show would make a great Dave’s installment.

Pulling plugs at Watkins Glen?
Probably someone from the ABB camp that didn’t want GD to have the spotlight.

I've been addicted to this song for the last week or so, specifically the 6-9-76 version. Jerry's vocals are just so beautiful. For me, it's one of those songs that lost a little something in the later years, as jer's vocals diminished, losing the "golden voice".

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

2-23-74
10-15-76
5-21-77
4-19-78

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

Couldn't agree more. Let be a lesson to you as kids out there.. Smoking is bad, mmmKay.

I was listening to that 89 Miami 30 trips show a couple weeks ago. The first set sounded so nice.. but then during the second set just as Dark Star began, Alien Frogs took over Garcia's voice. Such a great version but the vocals are somewhat horrid at times. Cigarettes are bad, mmmKay..

Can't quote Mr. Mackey without a clip from the Mr. Mackey drops acid episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nv5cDjXPIY

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

HOW DID THEY GO FOUR YEARS WITHOUT PLAYING THIS?!?!?

To be sure, Jerry sounded better in 1976 than he did in the many years that followed it. But to be fair, didn't he also sound better in 1976 than he did in the years leading up to it too ? I'm still talking about his singing. Better than it was in 74 - but then they all sound better, to me, vocally in 76 than they did in 74. Must have been something to do with that wall of sound, and its replacement.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I always think about the jerry quote you see, when asked about taping. "Once We're done with it you can have it", true? I don't know. But I've seen it more than once and NEVER heard anything like Jerry ripping the cables.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

The story about Garcia pulling cables (I doubt it) could have come from the story about Pete Seeger wanting to cut the cables on Bob Dylan, when Dylan played electric at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival. Dylan came out backed by members of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, including the great Mike Bloomfield, and did a burning version of Maggie's Farm. The folk community didn't like that Dylan had played electric and a lot of the audience booed. Dylan came out and did an acoustic encore of It's all over now Baby Blue, how appropriate. Anyways, Seeger denies that was his intention. The video is probably on You Tube and well worth checking out. Mike Bloomfield really burns on Maggie Farm.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I watched the Dylan at the 65 folk festival. In the comments below someone said, that Dylan said "He electrified one half of his audience, and electrocuted the other."

I laughed!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Regarding a couple recent comments about the Dead playing at Watkins Glen ('73): In the ABB 50th anniversary box set release about a week ago, there's 2 track on it from Watkins Glen: Come & Go Blues, & Mountain Jam. After the listing of these 2 tracks in the really nice 88 page book that comes with the box set it says:

"with special friends:
Jerry Garcia - guitar
Bob Weir - guitar
Robbie Robertson - guitar"

For one wanted to make sure the good folks here were aware of this. Second, have a question: Did Jerry, Bob & Robbie play on both songs or just Mountain Jam? The way it's written in the book, it's not clear. Thought someone out there may know.

Have only made my way through about half of this ABB box set, but so far really enjoying it. A good investment for the ABB curious, which includes myself.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Not Fade Away (w/Dead/Band),
Mountain Jam ((w/Dead/Band),
Johnny B. Goode (w/Dead/Band)

Looks like this was all the songs that they played with Dead and The Band.

Full Set,

Intro/Wasted Words,
Bill Graham Intro,
Done Somebody Wrong,
Southbound,
Stormy Monday,
Eliz Reed,
Come and Go Blues,
Trouble No More,
Blue Sky,
One Way Out
disc 2 63:52
Statesboro Blues,
Ramblin' Man,
Jessica,
Midnight Rider,
You Don't Love Me,
Les Brers in A Minor >,
Les Brers in A minor drums >,
Les Brers in A Minor >
disc 3 67:18
Whipping Post,
Not Fade Away (w/Dead/Band),
Mountain Jam (Capt Skipper remaster) (w/Dead/Band),
Johnny B. Goode (w/Dead/Band)

Jerry performed Dylan's Senor a bunch

"let's overturn these tables
disconnect these cables"

Jerry pulling plugs? Sounds like a bogus story.

Sounds like one of those "Jerry gave me a backstage pass and smoked me out and let me hang with the band at the hotel and gave me a tape of the show..." stories.

Good to know about the Watkins Glen Mountain Jam being released officially in some form or fashion; in this case it sounds like the Allmans actually let it out. I have a decent copy of it but would be interested in finding an upgraded version. The Soundcheck jam from the day before we all know and love from the So Many Roads box released way back when....that's a good one and always had this sort of proto-Franklin's Tower jam in there to my ears....happy sounds.

All this Allmans/Dead talk makes me nostalgic for 6/10/73.....someone should relent here and let this slip out into the masses.

Itsburnsy - I am familiar with the old Grog & Tankard from my long gone DC days. Your post threw me off and triggered some old school memories. Definitely had caught The Next Step back then too, although now all of that recall is a bit fuzzy around the edges if you catch my drift.

T-Minus how many days til this box lands? I'm getting giddier by the day in anticipation.

-Seventy-Sixtus

BUT, Jerry did get me backstage passes, weed and allowed me to hang with the boys. (phil wasn't happy about it) You're right, no tape, but, he did drive me home. What a guy. (between me and you Stolie,,, he showed me some naked pictures of Mountain Girl also)

Jerry was into photography, know what I mean :-)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I'm sure longtime posters are familiar with my "lifetime worst GD mistake" -- which was attending 6-9-73 at RFK, then missing 6-10-73 because ... we were 15 years old and had tripped all day in 100 degree heat and had no money, no food, no nothin'.........

Well, one mistake I did NOT make was staying at Watkins Glen for the "jam." We left after the last band -- was that The Band or the ABB? We could hear the jam starting up from somewhere far away, like the "parking lot" (i.e., another part of the disaster zone). And we were SO glad to be outta there.

Sequence: we get there in the middle of the night on a backroad while everyone else is stuck in traffic. Sleep on the ground. Enter concert area bright and early on the 27th. Get setup near the stage and break out the smoke. At that point, all was mellow and I wandered among the heads, checking out the scene near the soundboard. Then Bill Graham (I think) comes out and announces that each band will do a one-hour soundcheck. ABB up first, everyone races back to their spreads and party gets going. Relatively small crowd goes wild. (Hard to say, but maybe there were only 10,000 spread out in front of the stage?) The Band come out. Short killer set. The GD come out and play for two hours as we recline on our sleeping bags, snort a little mescaline and relax as the boys crank out some good music. Most idyllic GD setting ever.

Next morning, wake up, snort, drop, smoke, GD on at NOON! Long day, multi-hour sets all around. I recall a massive thunderstorm during The Band that made them take a break, which is why I think they went second that day. ABB probably towards nightfall? By the time they were done, we were cooked as well. (Edit: As I recall, we had water but no food -- just drugs. Smart "thinking"...) No way we could have absorbed any more music. With the two-night, GD/Band double-bill at Roosevelt Stadium only days away, we had to boogie.

Gregg in the book, One Way Out, said they heard the jam tapes and they sucked, cuz everyone was so out of it.

So we made an excellent decision to cut our losses. Oh, so we return to the spot where the van that brought us was parked -- gone! With my backpack, change of clothes, the works. I recall nothing of the several hundred mile hitchhike home, including no memory of how we escaped the concert site. We must have slept on the ground and ridden out with some hippies. There were plenty of them and, although 15, we all had long hair, too.

Just a brief story whose details are mostly missing!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

has hit the Garcia site,,, not on amazon yet, but they're saying a buck cheaper in their email.

I'm really tempted by this. I have quite a few recordings of them with Duane in the driving seat, but none others apart from one called "Hiitin' the Note" with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. I ordered one called "Second Set" a few days ago, too. I always assumed they went off somewhat after Duane died, and then were rejuvenated when Warren and Derek joined. But looking on here it seems I have much to learn.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It was on Amazon for a while but disappeared a few days ago. I think the current release date is later than was given on Amazon. It is still listed on the CD Universe site as far as I know.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Really enjoying 3-9-92 (oops that was yesterday). I was at this show so biased for sure but Bruce really added a spark. First set has many highlights and a dark star and a dew in the second. Satisfaction encore is / was fun. Worth a listen if you are stuck for what to check out today.

On another note condolences to the gent who lost their dad. My pop passed away suddenly but not entirely unexpected in January. I am not a religious guy and neither was my dad but the pastor said something that really struck a chord. He said today is not the end but rather the beginning of life in eternity. There was more to it but that really gave me a sense of peace.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

If you can find it (it's OOP), get the Deluxe version of Brothers and Sisters -- remaster of that classic LP, plus outtakes, plus a two-CD show from fall '73 in San Francisco.

The ABB resurrected themselves into a band at least as hot, if not hotter, than the GD by '73. I caught 'em four times that year and every show was massive. There must be some very hot tapes from May (MSG), June (RFK) and July (Watkins Glen). I know that a box of ABB/GD from the June and July shows was put together, but stalled out before release. Naturally, as I attended those shows as a wee lad, I'd love to see their release. Yes, including the 6-10-73 show I missed.

Daverock, get '73 ABB -- next best thing to the Duane years and I am a complete devotee of the Warren/Derek era, which comes third. Saw that from the first few rows of Red Rocks from ~2000 to their last show here in 2009.

Man, where does the time go?

BTW, Cream Farewell Tour '68 box is here and the first disc is hot! Disc 2 tonight!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hendrixfreak and others - the ABB deluxe version of Brothers and Sisters is on Spotify If you can’t find a physical copy. I have one and can confirm it’s excellent!

Hey Man, really sorry to read about your dad. I lost my dad back in December to the same bad actor as your dad. Glad The End seemed to be fairly uneventful; wish I could say the same on this end but at this point the truth is they are both in a better place.

Be well and find your strength in friends, family, all things beautiful........ and GOGD.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by frankparry

That new box looks real nice. I'll probably pass, I have the first box they released, along with a few of the a few of the archival releases. Can't get enough duane! Not to say they didnt do great things after him. Looks like that Brothers and Sisters has a super deluxe edition also

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I think jerry pulling cables is in the same realm as 'jerry ate the acid'. . P. S.- Stoltzy HA!!! Jerry hotel story. Cringing while the story rolled on.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

In the liner notes from The Song Remains the Same when its was first expanded and remastered there is a quote from Plant saying how Zep and the Allmans were the only ones improvising like that on a nightly basis. I couldn't help but chuckle when I read it!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Condolences.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

I stand corrected, he said nobody but the Dead were doing that. And I thought "allmans Robert?" Mixed em up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Shadeyguy

Crazy story Hendrixfreak! Musculine you say? Wow!

My story of seeing the Dead at the Metrodome at age 15 seems quite lame compared to your stories.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Thanks for the heads up about the Allmans 1973 shows. I have just had a poke around, and it seems there are three versions of Brother and Sisters out there-the stand alone single disc version, a two disc deluxe version featuring outtakes and the 4 disc super deluxe version, which is the one you described and which is clearly the one to go for. A bit pricey, but I'll keep my eyes open in case it become available second hand a bit cheaper.

There is an Allman Brothers FM recording available though, from Cow Palace, 12/31/73. Three cds, and with Jerry and Bill Kreutzman joining in on Mountain Jam (I assume). Its unanimously praised on Amazon. Maybe that's where I should go next with this band, rather than the new box.

Oroborous...also sorry to read about your father. From my experience to takes time to digest a loss of that magnitude. But there's no hurry.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html