• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Driving salem to seattle

5 12 74 disc 3 FIRE!!!!
10 30 73 disc 3 HAVE YOU HEARD THIS?
11 17 72 disc 3 WOW!!!!

great great great stuff

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I recently started listening for the first time to shows I attended. I've waited this long for fear that many of them would not be as good in retrospect (especially the '92-'93). But, after listening to 6/24+25+28/91, and after hearing 6/16-17/91 from the Giants box, I'm now thinking that a box of 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, and 6/28/91 would be sweet!

For fans of synchronicity, I started the 6/25/91 show as I jumped on the treadmill the other day, and just as I went to turn up the belt speed from a warm-up walk to a 10-minute mile pace, the Dead sang, "My old buddy, you're moving . . . much too slooow-ow-ow-woh, ow ow woh, owowow . . .

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 2--Austin 11-15-71
New release available March 27 2020 from ‘Real gone music’
💀Keith Godchaux's only been with the band a month but already he is fitting in like a glove. This fall 1971 show captures the Dead dancing down their improvisational high wire like only they can. On one side of the precipice are the free form jams of their earlier incarnations. On the other are the country-inflected tunes of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, both released the preceding year. And no sequence captures the tension between the two quite like the first set's 'Dark Star'/'El Paso' sequence, during which the band improbably (and seamlessly) veers from their spaciest song to their most cowboy cover and back again. A true marvel of a medley. Then, speaking of cowboy, the second set goes full-on boots 'n' spurs (the show is in Austin, after all) for its first half-dozen songs, winding up with a barn burning 'Cumberland Blues.' And then another sublime medley of 'Not Fade Away' segueing into a 'Jam' that toys with the 'China Cat Sunflower' theme, followed by a rip-roarin' 'Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad' and back to 'Not Fade Away.' Blair Jackson's liner notes chart the course. HDCD sound mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Track Listings
Disc: 1
Truckin'
Bertha
Playing in the Band
Deal
Jack Straw
Loser
Beat It On Down the Line
Dark Star
El Paso
Dark Star
Casey Jones
One More Saturday Night
Disc: 2
Me and My Uncle
Ramble On Rose
Mexicali Blues
Brokedown Palace
Me and Bobby McGee
Cumberland Blues
Sugar Magnolia
You Win Again
Not Fade Away
Jam
Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad
Not Fade Away
Johnny B. Goode

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

WOW! What an eyeopener – brings all the shipping madness into sharp focus. The perfect just-so story explaining what most all of us have been on the receiving end of for more than a year. While we can hope and pray Direct Shot eventually gets its distribution-shit together, maybe in the meantime it's time for MaryE to jump on her bicycle and JimInMD to saddle up Mr. Peabody's time machine and start delivering CDs again! Onward.

Thanks for the article Jack! Crazy stuff. I thought CDs were dead?

I wonder what Rhino or Warner Music will do about this?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

Thanks for that article. I wasn't aware how widespread the issue was. At this point the only physical media I'm buying is the Dead, local artists in my neck of the woods, and the occasional box set from other select artists. I've gone completely digital otherwise, so I had no idea that this was an industry wide problem.

I guess I've been directing my angst over my missing Dave's 32 at the wrong party. That said, what's the over under on receiving my missing Dave's 32 before the June 76 box? Before Dave's 34? It's supposed to ship out at the end of the month from someone at the Dead offices, so we'll find out soon enough.

Missed 2-11-69 last week so playing it now.

Upcoming anniversaries (commercial releases):
2-23,24-68 DP22
2-22-69 30Trips
FW69 Box
2-26,28-73 DP28
2-24-74 DaP13
2-26-77 DaP29

We’re all going to be busy for the rest of the month.
Not a bad predicament to be in.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Wow.. look at that list. It's hard to pick a favorite.. I don't think I could do it. Good job Cone Kid. People harp on the fall, but there's lots of birthday's to celebrate in the Spring too.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I just received Dave's Picks # 17,18 ,21,24 and Road Trips vol 4 #5 in the mail. I picked them up on E BAY brand new and sealed. I'M listening to #17 right now and it sounds great!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

That song can still bring tears to my eyes. Always been bittersweet to me.

What I have always loved most about Garcia is the emotional content he was able to deliver.

Right on Billy!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by P Hill

The rumors on Reddit point to a Buffalo 5/9/77 5LP set for this year’s RSD release. How many here would get up early and wait in line for that this April?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Two or three months ago , you mentioned the Freddie King Box Set, "Taking Care of Business", and I've been looking for it since then. I found a new sealed copy on e bay today for $450.00. I snapped it right up. I then went over to Bear Family Records and bought the follow up box set Texas Flyer, before it becomes scarce. They both look really cool and I can't wait to listen to them. Anyways, thanks for mentioning them because I never would have known about them. Garcia said one of his early influences was Freddie King. If you like T Bone Walker, there is a great box set on Mosaic Records, "The Complete Recordings of T Bone Walker 1940-1954". It"s 6 cds and it's still available on the secondary market at a fairly reasonable price. T Bone Walker was great and he influenced the likes of B B King, Jimi Hendrix,Eric Clapton, and many other great guitar players. Anyways, it really swings.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

6~15~93 that is.
Underdog show for sure.
Bobby going bananas during Estimated is an instant classic...
:O)

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

VGuy, as someone who has lived in only Minnesota and Colorado, I have to confess that it pains me to hear people in places such as Las Vegas and Tampa Bay talking about our state sport! :) I always root for the "ice-state" teams to beat the interlopers from places that have never seen natural ice. :)

p.s. Is the Jack Straw opener from 6/25/91 a BOAT version? Maybe . . .

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Did someone say best ever Jack Straw?

...now back to you regularly scheduled hockey fight.. Sponsored by Dentists with kids about to go to college.

Congratulations on picking up a copy of "Takin' Care of Business" by Freddie King on Bear Records. I still haven't got this one, although I have most of the material on other cds. But there is nothing like a release on Bear Records - the presentation, books and last but not least - the sound of them. The follow up, "Texas Flyer" the one I do have is superb.

Another good Freddie King release is "King of the Blues", which includes the three albums he made on Shelter records, plus outttakes between the two two Bear Records sets.

There is also a great dvd out called "The!!! Beat 1966" featuring several performances from the TV show of the same name. The stage has great op art 60s décor, there are go go dancers, and a straight white middle aged host who literally runs out onto the stage after Freddie has completed a track, saying things like " Wow man, that was really outtasight! What are you going to hit us with now baby?" Priceless. The music played, though, is timeless. There also a few great tracks of slightly stoned looking Freddie live in Sweden in 1973.

I have a 4 cd T Bone Walker compilation on the Proper Records label, which focuses on his earlier years. I agree - he was a major, and often uncredited, influence on rock n' roll music, as well as the blues rock that followed. Listening to him, you can tell where Chuck Berry and B.B. King got many of their ideas and licks from. And from Chuck Berry and B.B King...to the moon!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Was there and it was a good show next night not so good but my assigned seat was right in front of Jerry.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I can't take this talk about these box set of Freddie King & T-Bone! My wife's out of town, not out of my life. :-) On the Freddie front I have Best of Shelter Years & TX Cannonball. T-Bone includes Imperial Collection 50-54. Anyone out there with any of these other boxes, hell I'd take a copy. Consider it your off site backup :-)

That 91 (6/25), is a ripper. BOAT is pure opinion, but I'll give you "damn rousing"!

I'm a fixator, I play given songs to death (ask my wife)! I've been playing Little Sadie, from Crooked Still's 11-26-2006 show about dozen times a day! WOW!

I looked through the list and once again no Andy Williams re-releases!

Everyone here only seems to listen to "cool(?)" music. Doesn't anyone listen to schlep vocalist from the 50's & 60's? A little Perry Como (I hear he does a nice haircut), the aforementioned Andy. Maybe a little Johnny Mathis? Any Wayne Newton fans? I have him doing the greatest hits of like 67. My Grandmother used to travel to Vegas every year (drove from Jersey), she RAVED about Wayne's shows and Liberace's. How bout Dinah Shore? When I was coming up these were popular people with my parents generation and NOBODY I went to school with was buying Andy Williams albums! I remember a guy in high school raving about Tull's Aqualung and how I had to hear it. One look at the cover and I knew I didn't need to listen to that book. So what guilty pleasures are in your musical past? Any big musical fans? We went to a family reunion a year or two back. My wife has Missouri family, they always show up with a guitar and ready to have sing alongs. Started in Kansas City from Oklahoma and the only lone voice who knew all the lyrics,,,, me. It startled the crowd to say the least. Me and the wife was on a road trip once and I got into a musical mode and sang every musical ever done for about an hour (and yes, she has stayed with me for over 40 years) I then told her about this 7th grade music teacher we had in school. Remember when you had music class once a week. Music teacher would wheel a piano in, pass out lyrics on sheets or music books (where songs were descripted as "American folk", "folk", "negro spiritual". Well this guy had every musical of the day and we sang them all. I then told Denise, "I guess he was gay?" Her come back, "says the man who's been singing show tunes for the past hour!" I don't why I've stayed with her for remarks like that.

Blather off.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

25 years ago was at my final Grateful Dead concert. I better give 30 trips copy a listen today.
My seat in the Delta Center was the very last row. “The first one now will later be last”, It was 9181 days since my first GD concert. Or 25 years , 1 month and 19 days later.
On a side note a tornado blew part of the Delta Center roof off August 18, 1999.
Also Salt Lake City is where Neal Cassady was born. “Born to be, Cassidy”/ Cassady.

How many remember his one-off special to appeal to the younger crowd? Was it ‘ The H Andrew Williams Kaleidoscope Company’? I remember Simon and Garfunkel being on it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

would have been Randy California's 69th birthday and to honor him I purchased the 4 cd "Complete Potatoland recordings". Wow, to any and all Randy fans, this is a must have. Happy birthday Randy, I can just imagine the jam sessions you are having with Jimi and Jerry and all the rest up there in Valhalla.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I bought one Andy Williams 45-Happy Heart, my mom was quite fond of it
and one Wayne Newton 45-Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast-I was quite fond of it
and one Fifth Dimension LP-Up, Up, And Away

The rest was all Beatles, Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Three Dog Night, Etc. At Least Until Grand Funk Railroad & Black Sabbath came into the picture. "And now there's all this" to quote John Lennon.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

No David Glasser on this one? Hopefully he is too busy mastering the Fall 1980 box set.

3/28/90 in progress today. Wow! Just love Hey Pocky Way.

Peace folks!

user picture

Member for

7 years

I just received a package from a generous friend on this site. It sure is going to be a grateful night tonight. Thanks bud !!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I thought he was working on next springs November 1970 Capitol Theatre box. mmm

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Am I jumping the gun or do they usually come out with one after the release date?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

Yes, great clip of Freddie King. That's actually from that dvd I was talking about "The!!! Beat" from 1966.

I was trying to think of uncool music that I liked, and was beginning to think there wasn't any. Then I saw that reference to Grand Funk Railroad, and realised I was wrong. I like them. That's now, too, not when I was younger. I only came across their first 5-6 albums last year. Stonking good bass player.

They have a listening party up on the site..

https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-b…

Note sure if I would call it party.. if the audio came with video too showing Lemieux drinking directly from the tap of a keg while log rolling and chasing a surly bigfoot with giant claws and nasty pointy teeth.. I'd call it a listening party.

..or were you talking about a single show stand-alone CD? They don't always do that, that's more hit or miss.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Oh yeah!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

It shows up on the product page, but I can't get it to play. They did email me the tracks from 6/10 & 6/11, got 6/11 today, as a matter of fact. Had to download on computer as it won't download to phone, even though I have winzip on my phone. But even on my computer, the Listening Party play button is grayed out and non-functional. Maybe you really only get the tracks when you pre-order. Don't know how they will entice 12,000 orders with just a ballad version of Friend of the Devil...

Edited to add: the sound quality is just about perfect!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Start in Madison on 2/15/73 make your way up to St.Paul for 2/17/73, down to Chicago for 2/19/73 and wrap up the week at 2/21 and 2/22/73 down in Champaign Urbana!! All the new songs you got to hear, and the whole genesis of Eyes of the World!!! bob t

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Great link Cone Kid.

"Bong Rattling Bass"

Followed up by Mountain, Mississippi Queen. Leslie West, another great, rotund guitarist.

It was all good until the end.. when I suddenly realized, much like my superego Homer Simpson, that we might not be hip anymore.. at least to the generation behind us.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Well, I can't speak for you Jim, you may be the epitome of hip in the eyes of the next generation, but my 14 year old daughter has repeatedly assured me that I am not hip and she makes a pretty persuasive case sometimes. I'm still not conceding the point.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....i play video games with the Y axis inverted. My son laughs at me.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html