What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • kraven024
    The Spring 1977 tour begins and ends at Winterland. 25 shows played between the Winterland shows. Tour begins 4/22 in Philly at the Spectrum, ends 5/28 in Hartford, Connecticut at the Hartford Civic Center. 5/8 dubbed 'best of' but unreleased due to what must be sound issues(?). 10 shows officially released, exclusive to the 2nd leg of the tour beginning 5/11 St. Paul. 1 of 2 Winterland runs sandwiching the tour released, from June 7-9 (3 shows). Note: * 6/4 show in CA> I don't count as part of the tour, a 'transplant' show if you will, but count as a show. 32 total concerts from Winterland->Winterland + 2 shows before Winterland 3/18-20 on 2/26-27 in CA for a grand total of 34 shows from Jan1-Sept 3 at Raceway Park, Englishtown, New Jersey (Dick's Picks 15). more notes; from 5/11 St. Paul to Winterland on June 7-9 only 2 concerts not released from 15 shows > Fox Theatre on 5/18. and 5/26 Baltimore Civic Center.
  • guit30
    The last I read,all Dead archives are at Warner Brothers Music now, they own Rhino now, I think.
  • wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar
    5/55/7 5/9 5/18 5/26
  • guit30
    They were doing a lot of "Dancing in The Streets " in 76 shows, almost like these, Donna's vocals and the band make this just a fun jam, 77 is like a split year, as the year goes on, these songs keep evolving into new grooves, but this sure is a great part of the journey. For Sound quality, I have never heard music this rich from a live 2 track recording, no glitches, As far as other shows in 77, I would sneak May 28 "To Terrapin" in this box, love those performances and good quality, not quite like here, this just an aural treat. As for one other show, DP15, "Englishtown ,NJ" 9/77,I was there in that peaceful 100,000 people show with the Marshall Tucker Band and it was the last show that I saw the Dead and I remember it so vividly, being out in the country and the Stars at night, They sounded so good, great "Truckin'" and a super version of "Terrapin Station". What a Year, and what a great Box sert of Music!!!
  • guit30
    wissonoming Deadhead, I agree with you on your list of favorite shows,that's what I like, Jim
  • Underthevolcano
    I personally hope this box set sells out for several reasons: (1)to show physical product has a sufficient market, (2) digital can also be offered as well for those who prefer it and (3) future box sets can be offered to this market with a reasonable expectation of adequate financial return. I wish to avoid the debate about limited editions as I can see arguments on both sides of the issue. I have been very satisfied with the preparation which goes into these archival releases and I am happy to own them now and I think I will be even happier to have them in the future to listen to at a time,perhaps, when the well has run dry for any number of reasons.
  • wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar
    My faves from this box set in order;5/13 5/17 5/11 5/15 5/12
  • guit30
    It seems like every show in this box set is a little bit different as the music grows. Still can't get over how good it sounds, lovin it. All from a 2 track reel to reel, awesome.
  • Coconut Phil
    I'm still really enjoying this box set, the sound is just amazing. Guess it has not sold out due to being available to download. I'm glad to have a copy on CD. I'm delighted that Bluray format has finally arrived for us. Peace
  • One Man
    I also read Betty's letter to Rolling Stone magazine. It's odd that she says she has not been paid for any of her 2-track recordings. Wasn't she on the payroll when she was making them? Weren't they recorded for reference purposes and not for release? Don't they belong to the band, since presumably they paid for the tape and Betty's services? Does she expect some kind of residual? I don't know why she would. I'm not dissing Betty -- she made some great sounding tapes. And I agree she should not be mis-characterized as someone who "sold off" the tapes.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
product sku