What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • claney
    Ace man, well done... really enjoyed your picks. I was (am) surprised they didn't release a three-disc compliation from these shows for the mainstream release. Maybe they're saving up for the big Veneta release they'll lay on us in August (fingers crossed) Interesting to read how varied are the opinions of these shows. 5/17 is generally accepted as the best of them, but then there is no consensus I can see. I gravitate toward the mellow buttery smoothness of 5/11, which really surprised me, and I love 5/12. 5/13 is a snoozer for me, though of course I'll give it another shot. Andj I need more time with 5/15 but what's not to like...
  • guit30
    Ace, Well, that was a great idea, your best of set was a great idea,Well 77 and 72 were my 2 favorite years. I attended a show in Sept of 77, the Englishtown 100,000 people outside show in New Jersey. They were excellent. This box set is excellent, I have heard it all the way through and it is a great set of shows, sound quality is just awesome. I have a pretty nice stereo, it has an Oppo multi disc player on it so it can decode the hdcd which really enhances the sound. For me, the 2nd show in Chicago is killer, it is a 2 disc show, but at 80 minutes a disc it is still a good long show. I'm listening to a song and it just hits me, this is a 2 track, it sounds like it was mixed. Betty Cantor was a genius,Loved her recording talents on a reel to reel. So, the show on May 13 in my opinion, was just the best sound quality and some great performances too. In 77, "Ramble On Rose" comes on and with "Estimated Prophet" turning into a real strong song, Garcia starting to used The "Envelope Filter" on Estimated which sounds like a dirty autowah. I got a broken case on this show, but it did not bother me, the sound quality much more important. Donna's vocals are just awesome on this set, overall the vocals are great, Jerry's voice never sounded better. Check out Jerry's expression on the big inside picture. Kinda Priceless. Well Ace, this is my take on the middle show of this great box set.
  • chilly1214
    It's winter time here in South Australia and to have this 77 box plus the Dave's Picks and I've just realised I still haven't finished the spring 90 box yet. Keep the releases coming! I'd like to see 4-11-88 at some point. (My first). Great time to be a Deadhead!!
  • Dead Ahead
    Ace – These shows are new to me, too, which sets us apart from the norm. What a joy it is to hear for the first time. Many of the posters here have become jaded from having too much access to too much of the music; unlike Dave L. who has that youthful exuberance even after all these years. Ace, and Dave, I enjoy your fresh perspective. Keep up the good work. And Ace, I look forward to being able to delve into this release to the degree you are now and will use your work as a reference. I have other releases on my to-do list as well, including the E72 box of which I have listened to only about half.
  • TheeAmazingAce333
    so, it appears all the fussing & fighting over Dave's latest Pick has suckedall the energy out of THIS release... look, the thought of an entire Dead show with repeated Stayin Alive teases nauseates me, personally... but people who know 4/24/78 intimately SWEAR by it... if the Scarlet>Fire is as epic as has been reported, bring it on... bickering about what should be released/Dave's taste is an act of futility... anyway, Disc #3: 1. Bertha ~ 5.12 2. Playin! ~ 5.17 3. Terrapin ~ 5.12 4. Space> 5. Wharf Rat! ~ 5.11 6. OTHER ONE!!! ~ 5.13 7. St. Stephen ~ 5.15 8. Saturday Night! ~ 5.13 9. Brokedown Palace ~ 5.11 comments: ~The Other One is dynamic, unique, awesome... it is 'The Dark Star of Other Ones' insofar as the overall mellow vibe... there is a passage of about 2 minutes where Garcia is just playing solo... not "a" solo, just Jer playing as quietly as you have ever heard... simply brilliant... & the fact that it's only one verse adds to the Dark Star-ness... THIS IS THEE HIDDEN GEM OF THE BOXSET!!! ~after repeated listens, the 5.12 Terrapin nudged the 5.17 version, for me... ~really wanted to include the 5.12 NFA but it just would not fit... ~guit30, lookin forward to more of your analysis as you, like myself, delve deeper into the box... ~thanx again for reading... irie vibes... ace.
  • TheeAmazingAce333
    okay, disc #2 has been completed...i'm diggin the flow of this one bigtime: 1. Scarlet> 2. Fire!! ~ 5.17 3. Estimated! ~ 5.15 4. Sunrise ~ 5.17 5. Drumz> 6. Samson! ~ 5.15 7. High Time ~ 5.17 8. Lazy Lightnin> 9. Supplication ~ 5.11 10. Comes A Time! ~ 5.12 notes: ~5.13 has grown on me... it is well-represented on disc#3... definitely a 'bobby show'... alot of my 2nd favourite versions of tunes played multiple times in the box... ~5.15 is great, just not my 'cup o tea' insofar as setlist, although the Estimated & Samson are the best versions of the box, for me... & yes i've left the Eyes off, i'm not a fan of that version... it's a tune i'm picky about... ~disc#3 soon & maybe a bonus disc?? ~agreed guit30 they do sound amazing, especially through headphones... ~thanx again for reading... continue to stay irie... ace.
  • guit30
    Ace, I find myself ageing with you on most everything, Loved the 11th, but just could not get into the 12th which made me skip to the 17th which was different and then back to the 13th which I think is my favorite,but I have not heard the St Louis show yet.Love the quality of the recording, I do love 77, one of my favorite years.
  • TheeAmazingAce333
    so, upon studied listens to these 5 'completely new to me' showsthese are my choices to make a lil 3 (maybe 4, not sure yet) disc mini-boxset... the criteria was (since i'm totally UNbiased, having never heard any of these particular shows) superlative versions & 'best' version from thee entire box... btw, me & my head friends are all 5.9.77 people, yes 5.8 IS great, but 5.9 is where it's @ for us... note: no idea if this will fit on a cdr if your using a computer & just burning this as a playlist... my set-up is old school... no computer... 2 cd players like a true 'taper' should... my preference is to add (some of) the tunings @ the beginning of most tunes, which sounds more natural to me... personally, my dislike for the system most folks & record labels use to 'track' live cds is enormous (not that i&i use an mp3 player or listen to cds on shuffle) it's just weird hearing the tuning of a tune @ the end of the previous one... especially with these tunes, just sayin... have @ it people, ace. Disc#1 1. Music ~ 5.13 2. Half Step!> 3. El Paso ~ 5.17 4. Jack-A-Roe ~ 5.13 5. Big River!! ~ 5.11 6. TLEO ~ 5.17 7. Passenger! 8. Funiculi> 9. B. E. Women! ~ 5.15 10. Looks Like Rain!!! ~ 5.11 11. Sugaree!! ~ 5.11 final thoughts: 5.11 is killer & underrated... 5.12 is the worst show of the 5... period. 5.17 is great, but 5.9, 5.19, 5.21 & 5.22 are better. stay tuned for discs 2 & 3 to find out which Estimated & Samson were chosen! thanx for reading... stay irie... ace.
  • zepthompson
    the past several days - man, what an awesome job some real fine music - I will be spinning these again in the near future THANKS...
  • claney
    Hey Jack Straw - try again - I had a defective 5/15 case, and didn't get a reply initially (well, I got an auto-reply that said they were looking into it and would get back to me within seven days). They didn't, so I emailed again, then the other day I got a nice note from Dr. Rhino, and they are sending the replacement case, he says.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
product sku