What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Chuck
    Default Avatar
    Placed my order, Can't wait....................Keep the physical CD and DVD releases coming!! Chuck
  • DarkStarr1971
    Order placed. I really like way these box sets coming out. 1977 was a great year musically for the band. Estimated Prophet was the bands new psychedelic lightningbolt tune right to head. "California, Ill be knocking on the golden door, Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light, rising up to paradise, I know im gonna shine" Along with all the other great first year renditions for 77'. God I miss this band. Thanks again for this great box set. Craig
  • beereel58
    I was listening this morning to 5/9/77 from War Memorial , Buffalo , one of my favourite GD shows of the 70s, and I was thinking to myself how great the band sounded during that tour and how many great shows they did in a row. Tonight I check the mail and find this...unbelievable. Thanks Dave (and all the people at dead.net) you did it again, what a faboulous pick! I had just received DP vol.6 and l didn't have the time to listen to it yet, but let me tell you that you haven't missed a beat lately. You put out the wonderful DP vol 5 from 11/17/73 Pauley Pavillion which is, hands down, in my top five ever. My favourite era being the fall / winter of 73 followed by winter /spring 69/70, spring 77 and june '76. Yeah I know I'm a little biased on the 70s but it seems I got "reasons of plenty" for that. And I'm , definitely, in good company. Peace & cheers from Italy.
  • ithori
    Default Avatar
    Dave Any chance you could enlighten us as to the history of those missing tapes (Buffalo, Cornell, New Haven etc)? I'm sure others have heard the story before, but I've always wondered what happened to them? Thanks!
  • Coconut Phil
    This looks great, sweet price too. Already placed my order, it will sale out soon enough. Coming on the heels of DP6 which is awesome, the Bonus CD is simply amazing. Thanks to all involved in bring this out to the Deadheads of the world. Keep it coming!
  • Chuck9896
    This looks great. Love these Box Sets. I have the 5/13 Chicago show already. They must have cut out the "dead air" in between songs in the first set. Song times on my version are much longer.
  • mamadeadhead76
    Thank you to all involved. Can't wait to see & hear this gem. It is indeed a great time to be a Deadhead :) <3
  • katky111
    Now that concert releases are en vogue, I am buying more music than ever (Allman Bros/The Doors/Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna/Janis/Country Joe/The Byrds), but nothing rivals the comprehensive quality of DaPs and the recent history of GD box sets (audio quality to liner notes). Now if CSN (and Y) would just contract Rhino and open up their achive... Additionally, a strong '78 show - something on par with 5/14 (if you haven't heard it, find the awesome SBD - definitely one of my 20 desert island picks) - would cap a remarkable run of releases from the band's strongest years and put me in an amenable mood for an 80s installment. Thanks GD Productions, Rhino, Dave, and deadnet for the continued brilliant work! Peace/Katie P.S.: Whether the bumper sticker is an intended accessory to the box or not, pls. print a batch for separate sale in the store!
  • Brian2005l
    Default Avatar
    Wow, that looks beautiful.
  • rrot
    All I really know of May 1977 is 5/8 and the official fourteen or fifteen discs worth of releases so far. And that has me convinced. I'm in.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
product sku