What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DanielSpace
    I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • lianshu
    adidas superstar 80s femme pas cheradidas Outlet en ligne | Jusqu'à -50 % | adidas Canada adidas zx flux pas cher chaussure de foot adidas pas cher : La boutique 100% Chaussure ... www.vinatrend.com
  • icenine2
    Default Avatar
    When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
  • rolandswan
    Default Avatar
    Are you not happy with your current hosting go with One Euro web Hosting and make your business more profitable .
  • kite
    Default Avatar
    It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Thanks. bathtub pillow
  • aaron1990
    Default Avatar
    When you can drop into the combat on your own, the game is very gaining steam as a co-op name thanks to its profound team features. BattlegroundsArmory.com for Steam platform is a digital product - no field included. It will be released as an electronic download for $29.99 (the same price as the PC version).
  • arunk55
    Default Avatar
    This is i got super cool idea now what let me think about it. paypal money adder
  • lilmaria1212
    Default Avatar
    Solid offer for the music community, although it's a bit pricey?! JUST A BIT! Lol, I'm already spending a bunch of money on music promotion services.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Sales figures depressing? I don't think 15,000 pressings of May 1977 should be. This from a band almost 50 years old and that quit almost 20 years ago. I suspect that a similar set, at the same price, of old Louis Armstrong or Bill Monroe recordings would have similar sales numbers. The relatively low sales (compared to eh, say Justin Bieber), says nothing about the Dead's musical/cultural importance, and how they will be remembered.Next box? I vote for Summer 1973. So many great, unreleased shows: RFK!, the 8/1/73 Dark Star, Watkins Glen! As great as fall 1973, but with a very different, unique sound!
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I agree. Not every devoted fan of the music can afford the several hundred $ a year one could spend on keeping up with Dead.net and Jerrygarcia.com releases, not to mention seeing Furthur or Phil and Friends, Seven Walkers, and the Mickey Hat Band whenever they wander near enough. I live near BOulder, CO, so Mickey, Bill, Phil and Bobby come to Red Rocks, Denver, and BOulder a lot, and I shudder to think how much my wife and I spend in a year on tickets, babysitters, parking, t-shirts, and after-the-show CDs. I have several linear feet of Dead family CD's from Mother McRee's 1965 on the left end, to Furthur's latest Broomfield run on the right, and really, what other artists could expect even just a few people to spend that kind of money and devote that much shelf space?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses... II should perhaps clarify though: I wasn't referring to the sales figures as depressing. It is impressive that they are consistently selling out vast box sets like Europe 72. I was thinking more about what it means, in very broad terms, if the "customer base" becomes a relatively small group of the same people and general releases dry up. As Deadegad pointed out, there are good reasons for this, such as disappearing music stores, people not buying CD's, and so on. And it is those very things which had me a bit bummed out. And I've actually become one of those people, thanks to Spotify, I rarely buy CD's anymore, except of course the Dead. Still bums me out :) (Maybe it was also laying around in bed for hours, ha ha)
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Just a quick comment-saw Mickey at Palace Theatre-great show-catch this band if you have the chance!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Summer 1973 next box.. "SUMMER JAM '73" Love to see a Watkins Glen Box, but PLEASE include The Band and Allman Bros. with both days 27th & 28th for all 3 bands. This would make one heck of a project. Can't you just see it now. "SUMMER JAM '73" poster on the cover, throw in some of the many great photos that are out there from this historic show. The Band did release a CD of some of their performance in '90 , but it's out of print. The ABB released one song (Come & Go Blues ) on " Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas". Wow, a dollars worth of gas ! 1973 three bucks filled my VW bus, oh for days gone by. Anyway this would be a great box, with a much needed upgrade on the sound of the Dead's performances.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Man, I love that RFK 6/10/73 Dark Star! I'll always remember flipping out on that Dark Star on an airplane flight a few years ago. After years, heck decades, of listening to it, and loving, it- I just really "flipped out" on it on that flight. Can't explain it-except it just really rubbed me the right way! Arguably the greatest Dark Star ever (as are so many others!)
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

RFK 6/09&10/73.... this too would make another great box. With 2 days of stellar performances from both the Dead & the ABB. Always enjoyed the Dead 06/10 and both days of the Bros, think I'll break these out for a listen.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

There is a multi disc bootleg from this show with the GD and the Allmans sets called The Longest Day. Just google the key words and you will find it. I saw it in a bootleg shop in NYC with cool packaging and artwork -- but the $$$ price!!! OMG!!! These boot leg shops charge exorbitant prices. Who want to support that king of artist-ripoff and price gouging anyway?!?! It would be cool to get an official release of those shows and Watkins Glen. They are historic. Regarding the mid to later 80's and perhaps not as many great shows form start to finish? Maybe they could do a say 'Selections form Summer 85?" Or a 1987 Box with the best shows, full or partial, from that year if there is not an outstanding run from a given venue or month. Just a thought. Bottom line; Keep'em coming.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Deadegad, THere are some Road Trips series releases that started to follow that pattern. I wonder if Dave's Picks series could do that as well, or are they going to stick to only whole show releases? If they did whole show releases only, then they will probably skip much of the mid to late 80's or I would find myself fast forwarding through some CDs or maybe just popping disc 2 of 3 in a lot and skipping the weaker sets
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

I woudn't be at all concerned with the fan base drying up -clearly the demand for the limited editions exceeds the supply and that is one reason they keep increasing the numbers available. There is no shortage of material in the vault, and they can easily sell 10,000 of anything obviously and when they do its a few million bucks in the bank account. What makes it so impressive that these all sell out, to me, is that just about everything is available for free in a nearly flawless version. I have downloaded versions of 5/19 and 5/21 that I think sound better than the official releases, and all of these shows are on my hard drive as sbd's except 5/12. But like most, I buy these anyway because I believe in the process and I trust the organization to make incredible sounding mixes of everything, plus I love css - much better for the car!! I think they actually have ffnally figured it out - we didnt buy the downlaods all that much, we weren't crazy about partial shows. Deadheads are completists and all about going the whole hog. We want entire shows, entire tours, we want memorabilia that reminds us of when we went, and we love cool artwork and rich, artistic collections of our stuff. My guess would be that with the subscription basis (right up our alley - from who knows hat they'll play or how they'll play it, sign me up to find out, to who knows what they'll release), bonus discs and fantastic boxed sets they have been putting out they have fellt pressure to release more, not less. My only regret is that in 2005 when the Fillmore box was released I was not paying attention and missed it. And even though I have gotten all of theose shows, I'd still love the box.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Deadegad - I've been pulling for a "Best of '85" set for years, too. But The Powers would have to be very selective - probably no complete shows - which would throw a good percentage of fans into a tizzy. I also have a feeling that certain members of the band aren't particularly fond of that period (despite flurries of sheer brilliance), so final approval might be difficult. Too bad...
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Not at all sure what it costs in time and materials to put a set like this together, but the gross sales will only amount to about $2.1 million. Of course the downloads will sell for a long time, but the initial net profit on a limited edition boxed set can't be all that much. I'm just glad to have these things. I have gotten rid of most of my physical media, but these new sets from the vault are just irresistible. I feel like a kid in the record shop again, which is good.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Sometimes I feel like I am one of the few on here that still collects CD's but obviously, someone is buying them.I can't stand not having something physical to hold on to.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

the physical holding of the music itselfand then putting it into the player is engrained from my days with 45s and LPs. Er... those are like bigger CDs, everybody. I do love the art & documentation on them as well. But I sure need to wear my Walgreen readers nowadays, to see on those teeny tiny cases. The days of those big album covers is lonnggg gone. You see the hut, yet you ask, "where should I go for shelter".
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Downloading has been great for taking a ton of music with you every where. Ah the convenience! It is, however, when compared with holding a physical product with artwork, lyrics, credits, etc., a bit soulless. Album/cd releases were glorious times. Ah the experience!. I just can't wait to hold May 77 and explore it while listening. There was time when someone might have had the latest release before everyone else. You would gather together and 'check it out!' It was a communal, almost, ritualistic, experience. Who amongst us, rings up some friends and says "come on over I got the latest Good Ole' GD download?" Heck this started out a with a bit of sarcastic humor but I have just convinced myself that we have indeed lost a bit of our humanity with downloading. We have certainly have lost a good deal of our shared sense of community or communal experience. Haven't we? Shit! I am heading to the kitchen to drink the cooking sherry.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 3 months

1977 is when I hopped off the bus. SPACE was what I went to Dead shows for, mostly; give me 1969 and '70 any day. We'd dose good and hope for a Dark Star... I loved the weird "Seastones" stuff Phil turned out during intermissions with Ned Lagin in '74. I remember an interview with Bobby around this time, talking about the "more focused...tightened-up framework" (quoting from above) where he said that he would look out at the audience during the space jams, and the crowd would look befuddled and not know what was going on. Jeez, that's a complaint? At one time that was the INTENT! 1977: To me, Terrapin Station was a prog-rock snore except for a couple minutes of weirdness, and when they finally brought back Saint Stephen in a truncated FIVE MINUTE VERSION (?!!??!!?)- that was it for me. This is one box I'll pass on.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

"To me, Terrapin Station was a prog-rock snore except for a couple minutes of weirdness..." no doubt TS (along with nearly everything on "blues for allah") has its prog rock sensibilities, but it's just off-kilter enough that it's still dead...to their credit they did not perform the more orchestrated parts of the suite on-stage. i guess its just a preference...do you like your dead loose, ragged & feral or tight, focused & synchronized? i like them both, own both, play both and enjoy both
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

why limited editions .....we always buy the good ones.....AND THE 11 shows prior to this box set were some of the finest shows in dead history ....they were in one area and were well rested ..not to mention the nights Phil And Garcia went to museums....INSPIRED
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I wouldnt say that the days of vinyl are over. Grateful Dead have released several Record Store Day vinyls. Also, the original Aoxomoxoa mix was relased on vinyl which is pretty sweet. Then there is the solo stuff like Robert Hunter's tales of the great rum runner and Keith & Donna's album which I think are only availabe on vinyl. So, there are plenty of goodies out there. As much fun as having a physical CD, nothing beats putting a needle on a record.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I'd love to see a summer '73 box or Dave's Picks. RFK or Watkins Glen or Roosevelt Stadium would be great, especially if the package could include the sets by the Allmans and/or The Band. (Well, maybe not The Band's set from 7-31, it's very weak.) The Watkins Glen release by The Band wasn't really from Watkins Glen. See the great analysis here: http://theband.hiof.no/articles/wg_pat_brennan.html The real Band set (and the post-show jam) is up on one of the bit torrent sites right now. Anyway, I'd really like to see some releases where the warm-up act's sets are included. I know, it's really unlikely considering the licensing that would be involved, but it would be cool.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I agree with Mustin's comment about vinyl ... I have a few obscure LPs including both versions of Aoxomoxoa and the K&D LP, but the digital versions are much cleaner-sounding. 1977 was a great year for the Dead, who played in my home area of Washington, DC & Baltimore. Back then, I listened to their music on vinyl LP almost exclusively, so the live shows were very intense and often introduced "new material" to my ears for the first time (such as Terrapin Station).
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I agree with Mustin's comment about vinyl ... I have a few obscure LPs including both versions of Aoxomoxoa and the K&D LP, but the digital versions are much cleaner-sounding. 1977 was a great year for the Dead, who played in my home area of Washington, DC & Baltimore. Back then, I listened to their music on vinyl LP almost exclusively, so the live shows were very intense and often introduced "new material" to my ears for the first time (such as Terrapin Station).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Perhaps this is already known- the entire Dick's Picks series is being released on vinyl, through Brookvale Records. Many who are knowledgable about sound, say there's really no comparison between vinyl and digital, in terms of sound quality. To paraphrase Jeffrey Norman, whereas Dick's Picks on cd is in black and white, the new vinyl mix is in color. Pretty strong sentiments from our beloved grand master of super sonics.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

It is nice that there is a downloading option for this box set. It would be nice if the Spring 1990 box was offered as a download as well.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I am not against downloading, especially when its legal. Its just not my preference. Also, I think its great that May 77 has a download option. Anyway you get the music is fine by me. Especially if you enjoy it and then rave about on here. (or not too, I guess...its still interesting to hear what people have to say) I have a lot of friends who like the music but the conversations tend to drift when I start talking specifics...which is why I come here. Anyways, Im done rambling...can't wait to hear these shows!
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Will the pitch be correct on these shows????
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hi Fourwindsblow... The shows have been put through the Plangent Process. As I understand it the main function is to correct the pitch down to the tiniest detail, very cool. If you heard the Winterland 73 and 77 box sets you get the idea. Those sound so freaking good. EDIT - here is a good description of the Plangent Process from their website: www.plangentprocesses.com
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I enjoyed the profiles that came in the May newsletter, Jim Anderson, Silberman, and Masaki Koike. Its very cool (aside from being good business practice) that the Dead/Rhino folks give such focus to the artists and liner notes writers... I had never heard of Koike before the May 1977 announcement. I looked him up and I like his aesthetic a LOT. Reminds me a bit of the graphic sensibilities of the McSweeney's journal - a very good thing if you've ever seen those. Koike did the art for the Phish box of the Clifford Ball, amazing stuff. Its funny, but the Grateful Dead makes, in my opinion, far more "serious" music than Phish. Certainly in terms of lyrics (!). But, Phish's graphic design is usually more "serious" lately, and I tend to like it. In short, thought I don't have it in hand yet, I'm saying I'd like to seem more of this kind of look.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

That 4 of 5 of these shows are available as "A" quality soundboards, one wonders why Rhino would come out with this box set... To be sure, the quality, packaging and production values make it a keeper for those fans of the era. Still, with the release of DaPs 6 and this selection one wonders, given the various limitations, if Rhino is now scraping the bottom of the barrel? One thing that has to be said regardless: How great it is that this many official releases have been deemed worthy.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

There are some terrific records available @ various sites Mobile Fidelity,Sound Stage Direct, Analogue Productions. The Mobile Fidelity (MoFi) ones are about the best stuff out there. You will find D'sPks 1-4 All their studio albums etc. @ these sites.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I agree that '77 was too revved up at times and that Space as a mood or connective tissue seems missing. In '78 the percussion jams were just great, and lengthy. By '79, there were long stretches of great, adventurous Space back in many second sets. I can recall a few 5 song second sets and just being absolutely numbed by awesome Space. Try one of those Nassau shows from the Fall if you think great Space ended in '74.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

okay I finally placed the order.($165 shipped to New York is still quite a steep price for 5 shows). Hope it's great, I do love the Winterland 77 box.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Yeah I also really miss the "space" in the 1977 shows. I remember now I used to have some tapes of fall 1978 that had really long very spacy jams, that took up most of a cassette side. Can't remember which shows they were. I'd really love to hear those officially released someday. I'd rather have a show with long spacey jams than a tight perfectly played show thats light on jams. I mean really, even if the show is considered poor, low energy, uninspired, sloppy- it doesn't matter. Please give us some long sloppy spacey jams from 1978. (I don't think I've ever heard any of the nassau 1979 ones danc mentioned)-
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I concure, space is the place when it comes to the Dead and they were the onlly ones that did it and they were good at it, without it it's, well 1977.STill no sell out of this series of shows, perhaps this will let Rhino know that we will not buy just anything that they put out, especially so-so shows inbetween great shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Considering almost 10,000 copies sold in two weeks, it seems likely this set will sell out right around or before the official release date of June 11.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Yup. Apparently the Spring 1990 sold out in about one month so May 77 appears to be on track for another sold out box-set - fortunately I bought one. Come on June 11th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

2/3's of the 15k sold so far covers most of the Dead Heads on these pages. With D/Ls selling at $100. on June 11th, against $165.(with Tax & S/H) for the Box Set, this should cover most of the other Dead Freaks. I think they will still be around in at least June and maybe July. This could prove to be a "Revolting Development" for the eBay re-sellers, this might be a good thing !
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I was thinking the same thing about Ebay resellers. It won't sell out for at least several more weeks. And perhaps many of the initial buyers are resellers who thought it would sell out quicker. So this time around I hope they get burnt and have to resell at a loss! I am still trying to get my hands on Dave's Volume 2 but will not pay $125 plus for it. If anyone wants to trade volume 6 for it, let me know.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

I don't get the Ebay reseller idea. The kind of $$ is what, a couple hundred bucks/ set, tops, like what you'd make at a minimum wage job for a week. Less paying yourself minimum wage to post it, take pictures of your merch, monitor the auction, ship the stuff, etc. To me, that falls into the "why bother" category. The cost doesn't seem like that big of a deal, about $10/ disc for what looks and,from the taste of the clips, sounds like a pretty good set of shows. Sure the boxes are fancy and not "CD sized" but I don't get complaining about it. If you don't like it...don't buy it and, if you're gonna buy it and sell it, maybe look into your priorities. If you educate yourself, you should be able to outperform buying and reselling CDs, even in a down economy. I'm looking forward to checking these shows out. I was 10 when they happened, more in to KISS, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and the Nuge back then but I love the slice of time and culture that the Dead represent. To get ready for it, I went ahead and picked up a copy of "The Illustrated Trip" which hasn't been delivered yet, but will be before the discs get here. I got that from the library last winter and dug it a lot and figured it'll be fun to flip through while I listen to these shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

mrmike5 -- Those have been my thoughts exactly regarding ebay reselling. Why bother? I do not, however, begrudge a Head on hard times selling it because they desperately need the bucks - shit happens.
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

I don't scalp GD stuff on eBay (or anywhere), but when TPTB make these offerings "limited editions," they are absolutely opening the door and beckoning people to walk through the idea of reselling for a profit. OK, I didn't put that sentence together very well, but the whole idea of numbered limited editions is scarcity and the allure of something being worth more in the (sold out) future than it is now.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

David Lemieux. You talk WAAAYYYYY too much. You're starting to sound like a used car salesman who's behind on his quota, and your descriptions are like running off baseball stats without any SOUL. Whenever I hear you start to ruminate, I want to turn it off. Let Rob Bleitstein (sp) do the intro's, he was there for most of it. You have a dream job, please lighten up and chill out.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Aw come on! give Dave Lemiuex a break! Man, I know- he's not as cool as Dick Latvala- who could be?! And call me "old school"- but I don't like the idea of a Deadhead wearing a baseball cap- (lose the baseball cap, slugger). But he did help push the Europe 72 box- one of the great joys of my life. Thanks Dave!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Are you kidding? These sets sell themselves, nobody's being talked into it by Dave's videos. I just remember plenty of times wondering why Dick Latvala was picking the shows he was, and Dave basically provides us with explanations as to why he makes the choices he does.
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

I think he comes across as a genuinely nice, enthusiastic guy, albeit one with ADD. "Hey, it's a bird!" I don't think he's talking up the boxes and releases -- "Wow, I just saw a whale!" -- in an insincere effort to sell them. And it's nice to hear the logic behind the choices.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Maybe there could be a separate thread about the wildlife David mentions in the videos. I think DL is incredibly intelligent, and there's a purpose and intention to everything he says and does.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I agree. These sets will sell out with or without David L. I myself do enjoy listening to him. He is easily distracted, agreed, but would you rather have him sitting in some stuffy little cubicle? This way we get to see a bit of beautiful California shore line & wildlife. I have never been myself and I think how lucky he is to be in such a beautiful setting, giving us the latest low down on the next release. I very much like to hear his explaining what factors went into the selection of each release. It is also great to hear someone with such enthusiasm talking about the Dead. He has an encyclopedic memory. I am jealous. Who has a better job then him? Getting paid to listen to the greatest band of all time and getting to share his love for the Dead with us! Keep it up Dave! Plus where else can you find someone who will answer your email personally?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I second all the replies to the honorable Mr. Bulltroutman. I quite appreciate DL's videos, and in particular the window into the selection and process. The liner notes in DaP were fantastic - just the kind of information I wanted to know about how those tapes came to light. Remember when we always had to BEG the PTB to include dates for the songs on compilations? DL has addressed that. In fact, Dave is as transparent as Obama SAID he was going to be, har har. You go Dave. Oh wait, I have to go, there is the most amazing cricket on my window ledge! :)
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Hope my earlier post didn't sound snarky. Sure, Dave Lemieux seems cool enough. It's just that Dick Latvala seemed like a wise older brother and Dave Lemieux seems more like a wise younger brother. I appreciate and enjoy his talks. and the "Yoda on the Dashboard" thing for Dave's Picks 3 was kind of inspired. (yeah its really a great scenic part of the country). In general, I don't like to see people wearing baseball caps without a good reason.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Before this box set ships, I would like to know, and so do many others would like to know what are the dimensions of this box set? What are the dimensions of each individual show container? What is the weight? The pictures shown look like the individual show containers are not the regular cd box size. I'll be looking for my box sometime after June 11, or unless they start shipping early.Inquiring minds want to know.
product sku