• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Thanks Spacebrother, good idea to dig a bit of Spring 90. Yes the first show in Landover is tremendous. The whole landover run is my favorite...On the Terrapin CD there is a "Revolution" for Phil, so happy birthday Phil!!!Quite a few reasons to re listen Spring 90: Bobby sings and play guitar much better, so did brent, Jerry is playing midi guitar, The recording is exeptional, and the set list, surprise every night,not unlike may 77... Anyhow I just order my copy of get shown the light.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Right on Sheik.. what a setlist. Lots of breakouts and the sheer number of different songs played on that tour is stunning. For the Spring 77 tour they played 26 shows with 81 unique songs. In Spring 1990, they played 16 shows with 129 unique songs. Says something about variety, and with the GD, variety is paramount.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The Terrapin's performed on this tour were so epic and the one on this night stands out. The China > Rider that opens the second set is also quite epic. An exquisite show from a run that saw many breakouts on one of the greatest tours.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Loose Lucy was an absolute surprise ~ but the one hint of something special was that Jerry's turn had gotten skipped...it went Bob/Brent/Bob country twofer, which raised my eyebrow. This occurred again in Hamilton prior to Lucy, and as a result my brother (lucky lab to have been there) called it that time. Black-Throated was even more special for me, because that & Lazy Lightning were the ones I always wanted to see Bob bust out; and because he never busted anything out! Unlike Jerry, once he put songs away, they never came back. At the time, I put that 3rd night ahead of 3/14 for best of the run. (I was up close that night, too, which always ups the ante.) I might say they're a toss-up now, but I'll still go with 3/16's first set for Loser/Black-Throated/Bird Song/Blow Away. (side note, Black-Throated at RFK 6-14-91 is as strong as any version ever performed, and better than most.) As icing on Landover, we did get up to Nassau for the last night, 3/30, which was arguably my favorite of the four. Definitely my favorite second set, crown jewel China Doll...which I'd been BEGGING for. Then the impossibly perfect Attics encore. I know that show is forever overshadowed by Branford the night before...but it weren't too shabby.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Amen on the 6/14/91 Black-Throated Wind! I've yet to hear a version that tops it
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

I know that there was a topic that was talked about a while back - which songs were arguably better in the 90's vs. when performed earlier in their career. I think that Terrapin is definitely one of those songs... I'm definitely more of a Keith era guy but the jam that they tacked on to the end in a lot of those shows in the 90's made them special. They're all so different from one another. I also happen to be a big fan of the 90's version of Bird Song.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Great that you caught the Omni run in '90. One of the surprises of the Spring '90 box(es) for me, had never heard those shows before. 4/03! And what a treat to get those tapes immediately! That was the best, because the feelings of the show were still in your body, primed to take that ride again.... Sounds like you got 3/14 tapes well before I did.
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

Love the look of the liner notes. Thanks for the sneak peek. Cant wait til May!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Those jams at the end of Terrapin in early 1990 were spectacular. It honestly reminds me of some of the thematic jams they were doing in the 70's in that they consciously revisited this way of interpreting songs. Terrapin being the most memorable. They were doing this with NFA for a while circa 77/78 and He's gone on occasion (the jam out of Englishtown comes and 5/6/81 'This ones is for Bobby Sands' come to mind). Also the jam out of Here Comes Sunshine on Dave's Picks 21. My favorite of these 1990 Terrapins was the Knickerbocker MLB jam.. one of the better MLB's they did. The stuff Brent and Jerry were bouncing off each other was simply sublime. Good call man.. great ear.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

Drove down to Cap Center 15th show from NJ w/2 other heads but we had no tix and couldn't score any. Think we felt we had no choice being Phil's 50th. Was not a terrific scene as Cap Center, like Nassau, often was, lots of cops on horseback obnoxiously riding right through hippies clustered here there and everywhere, especially after showtime. Can't believe that was 27 years ago. Life goes by fast. Happy Birthday Phil!
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

I actually think that's my favorite spring 1990 show. The Playin'---> UJB is awesome too.I was lucky enough to be at the 3/26 Knickerbocker show- it was my least favorite of the mini Albany run but we did get a Morning Dew out of it. Knickerbocker was my favorite place to see a show - awesome scene!

Member for

16 years 11 months

unsung performance: Tennessee Jed
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I agree this is a superb set.. I revisit it a few times a year and enjoy the great sound and performances.I am looking forward to May 77 too now to keep the spring time fresh. I ordered the single Cornell set as well cause I know friends will need a turn on.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Saw an interesting comment on songs that got better with age. For me, a lot of Jerry's material did. Stella Blue, Black Peter, Candyman, Sugaree, Bird Song, FOTD, Brown Eyed Women, Wharf Rat and He's Gone are a few that come to mind. Oh, I almost forgot about Ship of Fools too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I think a lot of the songs had lives of their own. Stella Blue, for example, has a few periods - all of which I love. There's the 73-74 baby bear versions (pre-hiatus), the 76-79 mama bear versions, the 80-86 papa bear versions and the 87+ grizzly bear versions with the elastic, sustain filled, mind melting guitar portions fully formed. So lots shined in their own way in all eras. That being said, I really think as the voice went, but the guitar (for the most part) improved.. the ballads rang true in the later years. Heady with meaning, depth and sung with conviction and experience. That's my take. Another good example is Peggy-O. A great song throughout all eras, my favorites are perhaps 77-78, but I love the 74's and the later era versions too, with a slightly different arrangement. This is a great version, from 1994 no less. Edit: That leaves the songs that only appeared in the late era, but were great. So Many Roads, (with the exception of one 86 version) Visions of Johanna, Black Muddy Water, Liberty, etc. Sorry for some reason these are all Garcia songs.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Incredible photos!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thanks for sharing Larry, certainly brings back memories. It's amazing how young they looked, guess we were as well...What I want to know, where does the time go?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Thanks Larry, you are a lucky man. Just out of curiosity.. how many pics were you able to take that fateful day. Must have been a mind melt as a freshman in college. Reminds me of that Homer Simpson quote, "There's a time and place for everything and its called college."
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Hey Larry, thank you for sharing your Barton Hall photos. That book looks like it will be pretty cool and a fantastic companion to these releases. I honestly always wondered what the inside of that venue looked like, it had been described as a sort of barn/church-like structure. the couple of photos you have on your website shows a bit of this detail. i like it. Sixtus P.S. Also enjoying all of the Spring '90 banter. One of my favorite tours - and we're lucky dogs to have it all released. A few weeks ago I was on a plunge where I would just reach into my Spring '90 stack, pull out a CD without looking, open up and pop in disc one and hit play and just sit back and try to guess where I was. it's all played so perfectly. I will also say that 3/29/90 disc two has never left my CD player since it was first put in there - it's a 5 CD changer so yeah I still get 4 others to play with but that one has just taken up residency in the CD tray. I think it gives me some kind of pseudo-comfort....
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Really enjoying going through spring 90 this year. 3 16 is up today, great Birdsong, blow away, and a real cool Jam out of 'Man Smart,Women Smarter' are some of the highlights for me. I also love the flow of the first set, Let The Good Times Roll, Touch of Grey and Loser are all tight and great sounding/worth mentioning.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Anybody know how I can get back to 30 Days of the Dead for 2016 to d/l again?I had a windows profile issue and when I re-built it 2016 was gone but everything else was there. hmm..? Nice pics Larry.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Excellent Shows....was at most of these.....More ''69-'79...Kieth and Donna...Pigpen....Thanx...
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Thanks Dave. Have to say I love that picture.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

You can't really be charging 50 bucks for an extra copy of DaP 21 that Rhino accidentally mailed you...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

He can do whatever he wants, just hope nobody bites.... Let's make America great again, indeed. Ok, time to drain the swamp..... Boy do I miss Jerry....
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hey Larry R – Thanks for the glimpse of some of your photos of 5/8/77. WOW! What a trip that you were able to watch the hallowed event unfold from set-up to soundcheck to lift off and beyond (and still operate your camera!)! Best wishes with the book. Keep us posted! And Automaticslim: While you’re redownloading 30 Days ’16, why not grab 31 Unofficial Days ‘16 too? Like 30 Days, 31 Days '16 has some amazing nuggets plus a 1 hour & 15+ minute Bonus. http://www.gratefuldeadprojects.com/31DaysofDead2016.html
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Thanks for sharing the link, I really enjoyed listening to that. Marimbas can be so relaxing. That chill vibe is one of the reasons why I'd choose 3/14/90 as having my favorite drum segment from the later years, that I've heard so far. I also enjoy the 1978 segments with the steel drums alot . 3/14 also has my favorite Crazy Fingers from the tour as well.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Really enjoying these Cap Center shows this week! This is the one with the BTW bust-out with the alternate lyrics, that unfortunately are mangled by cuts on the LMA version I am listening to (unfortuantely I missed out on the Spring 90 boxes...too much dough at the time, both times...) Anyway, I have known of this version for a while, and I have checked out the alternate lyrics, etc. I think both versions are good, with the original lyric being one of my favorite Barlowe lyrics in general. My question: Does anyone know if Bob has talked about why this one was shelved, only to be written 16 years later, then returned to its original form? I mean, if I ever wrote a song as good as BTW, I would play it EVERY time for EVERYONE at ALL TIMES. (Hell, as I am typing, Blow Away just came on... same goes for if I had written THIS tune!) However, I guess when you have so many songs as good or better in your repertoire, you can afford to let a tune this great get shelved, reworked, and finally revisited. Damn, I really love this band! Peace
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I usually don't like streaming shows on websites. it makes me want the show to be released also no one lets you download anything anymore unless it is not a soundboard show. I don't understand why no one lets you do that anymore I dunno if Grateful Dead productions is behind that but I think they are. maybe afraid we'll choose to download a soundboard over purchasing an official release. but I will say i'll take an official release over any bootleg. for one thing even if it is a multi track soundboard bootleg its not properly remixed or mastered. even if I download a 2 track bootleg i'll take an official release even though you cant remix 2 track it can still be mastered and cleaned up better than most bootlegs. I had the winterland 73 shows when nugs.net was a thing and ditched It out of my computer when I realized the box set shows were the same (the official release was way better). its too bad we cant download soundboards cuz lets face it NOT every show is going to be released. cuz usually we download soundboards to tide us over till it gets a release or to make up for the fact it will never be released and that bootleg is as good as its going to get.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In addition to such a wonderful 1st set, awesome front half of the second set, The Other One > Stella Blue > Sugar Mag and Last Time encore really cap off night three of this three show run and the S'90 tour. A lot of nice layers in this show. Brent's playing on The Other One and One More Sat Night is inspired and pushes the energy level rest his soul...
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Hi. I didn't understand the swamp post or why you miss Jerry. Although I miss him too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Villanova 76My. St. Mary's 56 'NOVA REPEAT YES INDEED!!!!!!!!!!! I have an idea, when the NCAA tournament is at the sweet 16 I'd like to put 8 top rated Dark Stars & 8 top rated Other one's and see where we out here in DeadLand rank the better of the best. Now if you kind folks suggest either PITB vs. ????or a show to show show down I'm game. It's Thursday PLAY DEAD!!!!!
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Top Seeded Dark Stars and The Other Ones.. who would win? Good call wissinoming.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. To answer your questions, I shot three rolls that day, one of setup and two of the show. A number of the shots from setup show the inside of Barton Hall well. I understand it was formerly an airplane hangar if that gives you some idea of the size and shape. I was lucky to be able to shoot many Cornell shows that year, including NRPS. I'll dig out those negatives once I get this project launched. I will post again once I launch my kickstarter, when you can preorder the book at a discount. If anyone sends me an email, I'll also notify you by email then. Take care! Larry www.GDBartonHall1977.com
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. To answer your questions, I shot three rolls that day, one of setup and two of the show. A number of the shots from setup show the inside of Barton Hall well. I understand it was formerly an airplane hangar if that gives you some idea of the size and shape. I was lucky to be able to shoot many Cornell shows that year, including NRPS. I'll dig out those negatives once I get this project launched. I will post again once I launch my kickstarter, when you can preorder the book at a discount. If anyone sends me an email, I'll also notify you by email then. Take care! Larry www.GDBartonHall1977.com
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

wissinomingdeadhead- I'm with you on Nova!!! Let's Go! Back to back! Also, love the idea of a sweet 16 of Dark Stars/ Other Ones/ Shows... any of em would be cool. There is a website that allows you host tournaments like the one you're talking about. I use it with my English classes each March to crown a literary champion- we take characters, symbols, etc. and the kids vote til we crown the champ. We could do the same thing for the Dead once we get the entries and seeding done. www.challonge.com is the website. Check it out. Happy St. Patrick's Day, all- I'm starting off with 3/17/91 from the archive: https://archive.org/details/gd91-03-17.sbd.miller.28295.sbeok.flacf/gd9… Then moving onto Download Vol. 6- 3/17/68 and that will lead me right to the bar to hoist a few pints and celebrate my Irish heritage with good friends and some new ones. Enjoy it everyone, and God Bless the Grateful Dead!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

question about Grateful Dead CDs anyone having trouble with "bad discs" lately ? my car cd player is not accepting the GD discs as of late. Automatic ejection after it cannot read disc, and then message appears on dashboard saying "Bad disc." However, it will play others like "Garcia Live", "Furthur More" I popped in for a test. By the way the new Garcia Live is very nice. "Shining Star" and "Tangled Up in Blue" are a couple of my favorites, but it's really all good. So with the arrival of new Garcia Live and the combination of my GD cds crapping out, I am revisiting Garcia Live. Volume One (3.1.80) is red hot !!! Jamming with Vol 2 (8.5.90) the last 2 days and its very nice as well, seems like the sound quality could have been a little better in some spots with Garcia guitar. so the discs i have had trouble with look pristine, also I know they have only been played few times or less since opening. 9.24.72 from 30 trips - disc 3 Daves Picks 14 - for sure disc 2 and disc 3 and yesterday Spring 90 ~ 3.16.90 - dang it i may need to buy a cleaning disc to insert into car CD player, but its weird how up until now it is only GD CDs that this happens to. maybe its time to get on Sirius Satellite again GD channel 23 F%Cking ROCKS !!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

The bad disc may be a failing laser on the car player
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Sometimes it seems cds just decide to quit, I have a couple cds that still look brand new, that just stopped working after a couple years. My copy of Heart Of Gold Band is one of them, though it still works when using a computer.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I checked out the link you sent about the box sets. It takes you to the Warner site. It doesn't say if they are the Limited Edition or All Music Edition - very cryptic. And the Limited Edition Box set page here on Dead.net still says sold out. I also looked up May 1977 Get Shown The Light in the box set section of that Warner link you sent, and it's not there. I'm wondering if these are All Music Editions or the limited / numbered box set?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

A sweet 16 Dark Star competition would be fun - could make an argument that the best versions all came pre-hiatus, but in the spirit of March Madness where underdogs can win the day, i suggest adding some late era versions who may get on a hot streak. This is somewhat off the top of my head so please feel free to make suggestions! #1: 8/27/72 #16: 9/24/91 #2: 2/27/69 #15: 10/9/89 #3: 5/11/72 #14: 7/13/84 #4: 4/8/72 #13: 10/26/89 #5: 2/18/71 #12: 12/31/78 #6: 2/13/70 #11: 3/29/90 #7: 12/6/73 #10: 5/14/74 #8: 10/18/74 #9: 4/24/72
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Interesting.. these look legit though, if you follow through the link to purchase the All Music Edition, it does show that you are ordering the All Music Edition. I bet these are legit and represent the credit card cancellations and returns. But you are correct, Keithfan. They could have been more descriptive. Pennies from heaven I guess.. if you missed out on the first offering. ..and 80sFan, I hear the University of Pennsylvania has officially organized a protest targeting the selection committee for omitting 9/21/72 at the Spectrum. Oklahoma City and the San Francisco City Counsel are organizing similar efforts. :D
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Thanks for posting this Jeff. I have all the 31 days collections but did not realized he had added that extra 32nd day this year. I've downloaded that 75 minute cut and look forward to hearing it after the glowing reviews that were listed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Jim - 9/21 (and actually much of 72 and 73) were really close to making the list (as was 2/22/69, and countless others) but was trying to be fair to other eras! hell, a pre hiatus DS sweet sixteen would be as brutal a competition as it gets!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html