• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

thanks for the heads up, I wanted that shirt and they were sold out and I forgot all about them. Now I have one, thanks!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

No, seriously, the video that you posted a link to is the first time I've been subjected to anything Kiss. Not everyone has been so fortunate, apparently. Thanks a lot for that one, buddy! You are right when you say "plenty of over-the-top in every way" and certainly extremely American. Now I feel an overwhelming need to rinse my ears with disinfectant. I have not owned a radio since the mid-'70s when good music on the radio was replaced by commercial crap. If I want to listen to music, I want to choose what it is I listen to. Since I changed employer about 5 years ago, I have been subjected to the office radio for 8 hours each day. They seem to have a playlist of about 10 or 12 songs, some of which have been played on a daily basis for the whole 5 years (and probably longer). Why would I want to hear that? Even hearing such a song 10 times a day every day for years is not going to make me like it. Such radio stations are not there to improve my life, they exist to make themselves money from advertising revenue and the less they have to pay in royalties the bigger their profit. Having said that, Kiss would never have made it onto the playlists of such radio stations anyway. As for records, I do not know anyone who has ever bought a Kiss album, so I have never got to hear them when visiting friends etc. Of course I've seen pictures (the paint, the tongue) and that was enough to suggest to me that here was a phenomenon not worth investigating further. There are advantages to having 3000 miles of ocean between where you live and America. There are also disadvantages, of course, but that Kiss were never able to swim so far has to be considered an advantage.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I can (vaguely) remember seeing Kiss in Manchester in England back in 1976. In those days I loved heavy rock-but although it was alright as a night out, I never felt inspired to buy a record by them-or see them ever again. In fact, apart from a single called "Beth" I don't think Ive ever heard a record by them. Or wanted to. The Blue Oyster Cult were a different matter-brilliant live, and many great records. Their first four are the ones to go for-but most of their 1970s albums are worth a listen. Another great American performer who came to England in the late 1970s was Iggy Pop. In fact I would say he is probably the best performer I have ever seen. Compared to the varying strengths of Iggy and the BOC, Kiss very much seemed like pretenders. Heck, even Ted Nugent was better that Kiss.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Any yal see movie detroit rock city Decent flicc
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

o6 o9 91 for dp 23
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

What is it..the end of June? So potentially an announcement in a few weeks in preparation of an 8/1 release? Time just runs together..tough to believe we're almost halfway through 2017. I've had DaP22 spinning in the car constantly since I got it. I think it's a great show, but hasn't made a lasting impression on me. I enjoy it when it's on but haven't felt the need to go seek it out, like so many other releases. Probably need to throw it on the stereo inside and really listen through uninterrupted. Had Dead & Co from Atlanta on Youtube this morning while working around the house. They are definitely clicking. I don't know KISS well enough to contribute to the discussion..the closest I get to rock in that style is maybe Seger, not quite the same thing. But I'll take some Live Bullet any time.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

i was into Kiss for a brief moment in time but it seemed to have faded away. I was only into the original lineup I think i have all the 70's albums(including the Solo albums) barring the Alive albums. had that one magical moment of going to Walmart looking for Dressed to Kill and Hotter Than Hell and they actually had them at five bucks a pop.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Going back to slide guitar for a minute, I am going to London next week to see the North Mississippi Allstars, who are driven by one of the finest living exponents of that style, Luther Dickinson. I have never seen them before, and got their most recent album today, Prayer For Peace. It shows almost zero progression from their first album, "Shake Hands With Shorty" which came out 17 years ago! This is very good news-I had a vague suspicion that they may have morphed into a blues rock band. No worries there-this is as raw as it gets. The only difference I can notice, after having played it once, is female backing vocals on the title track-which fit in excellently. Reason I am mentioning all this is that the new album has three tracks The Dead covered-"Stealin", "Deep Ellum" and "Bid You Good Night". The last of these has some really great slide guitar on it-in fact the whole album does. In the sleeve notes, there is a "Thank you" section-and one of the groups being thanked is Phil Lesh and the Terrapin Crossroads Family. I wondered if anyone knew what the connection was.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Last Seven. ABB post-'89 Reformation 1. Seven Turns 2. Shades of Two Worlds 3. An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: First Set 4 Where It All Begins 5. An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band: 2nd Set 6. Peakin' at the Beacon 7. Play All Night: Live at the Beacon Theatre 1992. All good. Very good. Peace Gregg. "No one left to run with anymore...." After weeks of deep immersion in the precision and sonic bliss that's May '77 Dead. Enjoy the weekend all!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

.......a double post.....
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah, Angry Jack, that 6/26 is something else. I'm looking for another :D David D, I don't recall 3/27/72, thanks for the heads up. Simonrob - KISS' best is on par with bands like AC/DC, Van Halen in the early days, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc. Tight hard rock riffs, 4 minute songs, lyrics nothing to write home about; utterly fun rock. Hard to believe, but they've sold more than 2x as many albums as the Dead (but nothing worthwhile since the 70s). Yeah we need a release announcement when the discussion is KISS.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

B.O.C.'s "Burnin' For You" contains some of the tastiest lead guitar fills ever regularly heard on classic rock radio. I mean, on any Clear Channel station they've already bought rights to so many songs outright, for an upfront royalty fee, so they basically "own" the broadcast rights on any of their affiliates and that's why they play the shit out of the same goddamn songs over and over instead of deep cuts the way a real DJ would do. At least there are a few gems in that bunch, "Burnin'," and of course the immortal "(Don't Fear) The Reaper..." Saw B.O.C. with Rudy Sarzo on bass four or five years ago at some festival. Hey, it was absolutely decent, but ol' Buck was a bit of a disappointment. He is a tiny man in stature, he wasn't dressed too well and his hair was bad and he was playing a MOST un-rock n' roll axe, like some tiny shit Steinberger clone with no headstock. Electric guitars with no headstocks are uncool and make even the most seasoned legend appear to be out there with his fly open. There was no headbanging, no lasers or smoke shooting out of this pawnshop special. He did not stick out his tongue, shake his ass or attempt to appear rockist in any measure... yes, with the Dead the music always was and is enough, but Buck ain't Jerry G. He played competently, if without enthusiasm, but given the venue (extremely hick Greeley, CO), they basically mailed it in and Buck looked like he didn't really give a shit. It was just paint-by-numbers hit parade. Such is life in 2017... for the last few years, for some of these bands. B.O.C. is one of those. Argue artistic integrity all you want, but the current incarnation of KISS is still a massive stage show, a first-tier production. And don't get me started on the songs... KISS was heavily inluenced by the Beatles and they have dozens of "hit" songs. From "I Stole Your Love," to "Rock Bottom," "Come On And Love Me," the ubiquitous "Rock And Roll All Night," "Detroit Rock City," "Calling Dr. Love," "Hard Luck Woman," "God Of Thunder," "Shout It Out Loud," as well as tasteful nuggets such as the immortal "Christine Sixteen." ;-P Gene Simmons is one hell of a bass player. KISS is much like Cheap Trick, another somewhat overlooked gem of American power pop/rock. I think the theatrics and over-the-topness have somewhat distracted and detracted from the body of work that KISS has amassed. If one was to eat psylocibin and go to a KISS show, the ridiculousness and bombastic nature of it all would probably induce hilarious laughter or a desperate fleeing from the venue, if not both... compared to just swaying in the breeze at Dead and Co. Like it or not, it's a part of all of us. We dropped at Monsters of Rock, Alpine Valley, around 1989. It was coming on for Kingdom Come, then peaking during Dokken (Gooney Bird, fair blotter) and the whole sound just kind of morphed into this swirl of unintelligible distortion. Next, Metallica, still a hot up and coming act at the time. Started to recognize songs... Scorpions delivered, and by the time Van Halen came on, the beers had surpassed the acid and smiles were large. You looked around at your brothers who'd endured that crowd scene in the hot sun all day, and felt bound together, like you'd been through something. Ah, the 1980's.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Van Halen actually wrote decent lyrics. And they were a good band. Bon Jovi, 80's bands,etc were just Van Halen wanna-be's. Van Halen may have been a Led Zep wanna-be, but I won't go that far. Album sales don't make a band good, it just means that they know how to manipulate the masses. And we all know that the masses are generally pretty dumb.....KISS is a perfect example of that. Oh wait, back to KISS discussions, yeah, we really do need a new release announcement. I'm calling for DaP23 to be 6-14-76. :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

AMERICAN ICONS!!!!!! Too bad it took Japan and Budokon to point that out to America. But don't blame me, I was too young at the time to know. I learned it from 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High'. :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

There is lambswool under my naked feetThe wool is soft and warm Gives off some kind of heat A salamander scurries into flame to be destroyed Imaginary creatures are trapped in birth on celluloid The fleas cling to the golden fleece Hoping they'll find peace Each thought and gesture are caught in celluloid There's no hiding in memory There's no room to avoid The crawlers cover the floor in the red ochre corridor For my second sight of people, they've more lifeblood than before They're moving in time to a heavy wooden door Where the needle's eye is winking, closing on the poor The carpet crawlers heed their callers: "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" There's only one direction in the faces that I see It's upward to the ceiling, where the chamber's said to be Like the forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree They are pulled up by the magnet, believing they're free The carpet crawlers heed their callers: "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" Mild-mannered supermen are held in kryptonite And the wise and foolish virgins giggle with their bodies glowing bright Through the door a harvest feast is lit by candlelight It's the bottom of a staircase that spirals out of sight The carpet crawlers heed their callers: "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" The porcelain mannequin with shattered skin fears attack And the eager pack lift up their pitchers, they carry all they lack The liquid has congealed, which has seeped out through the crack And the tickler takes his stickleback The carpet crawlers heed their callers, "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" The carpet crawlers heed their callers, "We've got to get in to get out We've got to get in to get out" Songwriters: Tony Banks / Phil Collins / Peter Gabriel / Steven Hackett / Michael Rutherford
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Was watching some Furthur from 2012 and was going to compare them to Dead and Company, Watched some of their Red Rocks Show, they sounded pretty good. I saw "Downhill From Here" on the side, I had watched that a long time ago. The real Dead sounded so much better with Garcia, that I never made it to Dead and Company because I listened to almost a full set of The real Dead. Garcia sounded awesome and they were really having fun. I am not a fan of 80s Dead, but I always enjoy watching Jerry play. I do think that Dead and Company are better than Furthur. Bobby was struggling back then because he was taking meds because of an arm injury. He got that fixed, stopped the meds and he sounds a lot better now to me. Plus, Mayer brings energy to the group. Oteil is a great bass player, I remember when he played with the Allman Brothers after Barry Oakley died. He and Chuck Leavell really saved the ABB, after the 2 deaths. Dicky Betts turned it up a notch too on "Brothers and Sisters". Dead and Company are going to be in Camden tonight, but I don't have that kind of money, I can't believe how much concerts are now. That is a great venue for a concert though, I saw many shows there, back in the 90s. I can't believe all of the talk about KISS and metal rock groups, Remember, there are the archives where you can listen about any Dead show you want to.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Agree, Guit. Love that Desolation Row from Downhill From Here too.. that's a great show, so glad they released the video.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Only ever knew one person who liked Kiss, he got a brain tumour, and I was never willing to take the chance..... Trick on the other hand were great, both on record and live,saw them at the Rainbow back in the day, and even bought the T shirt, so good they were, But I see them as belonging to a whole other genre, Power Pop or big beat, they belong with the Wackers, the Dudes,BigStar, Rasberries, Blue Ash et al. Any love here for Bob Segarini of the Wackers? He shared the boards in the SF ballrooms with the Dead in the band Family Tree, then went on to Roxy, the Wackers and the Dudes...the album Hot Wacks is in my humble opinion better than Abbey Road, and it ploughs the same furrow. Try the track I hardly know her name, pure pop bliss, one for the ages.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Try 12-29-77 - DP10When Jerry sings the "cool Colorado rain" part, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

O4 18 82 hartford civic center Bertha-> Promised Land, Friend Of The Devil-> CC Rider, Ramble On Rose, Me & My Uncle-> Mexicali Blues, Althea-> Looks Like Rain, Big Railroad Blues-> Let It Grow Cold Rain & Snow-> Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Playin' In The Band-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Jam*-> The Other One-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia-> Playin' In The Band-> Sunshine Daydream, E: Don't Ease Me In
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

We're going. I expect a very nice to excellent show, and probably won't disappointed. Years ago, we saw The Dead in '03 & '04, there was a decent Shakedown Street vending area, hopefully some of that will be there, too. My favorite post-GD show with a very good vending area was in 2009 at The Spectrum in Philly. Both nights The Dead were great.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I'm with kjohn on 12/29. I think you really need one from each era, the arrangements really morphed over the years, they always seemed fresh to me.. - The early years - 2/14/1970 is good - E72 is a must.. 5/3 seems to get a lot of cred, but the transition on 4/17 is good and I really like the one from 5/24 a lot for some reason. Might as well toss in Veneta for a late 72 masterpiece it was. - The definitive versions from 74 are a must.. 6/26 and 7/31 are both excellent. I also like the 5/17 version from PNE Coliseum in Vancouver. - 12/29/77, it goes without saying. - They really shortened them up in the 80's, but the transitions are often crystal clean. 3/9/81 is a good example of the slimmer new China Riders. - You can't omit 7/17/89, Alpine Valley - I don't think its a cop out giving a nod to the 4/1/90 Without a Net version from the Omni. - You can't omit the Bruce Years.. 9/20/90 has a smoking piano solo mixed in. - I'm not as fluent with the later years.. but I bet there are a few gems to pick from. I don't know.. this is quintessential Grateful Dead, I think you need to look at it over time. These songs lived a life of their own.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I never liked Cheap Trick but I read an old interview in which Jerry said that they were great so perhaps I should revisit them? And yes they were power pop-rock or whatever. . .. A different category(bad-word) than The GD. Regarding Furhtur? Yes Bob struggled a little bit here and there and actually fell out of the tree twice, but, having said that, Furhtur was great they gelled and grew, listened to each other, etc.. Nothing against Mayer, but, Kadlecik was perfect, as good as it gets, excepting Jerry of course in his prime. I am a JK fan! Nevertheless, on w/Dead and Co!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Your country, not mine, luckily.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Thanks David-I never noticed Grahame guests on Prayer For Peace.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

We all live in the same country.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....yea, Cheap Trick did play The Beatles. Took the family and checked it out. They did it right. Bun E. Carlos was sick, so he wasn't behind the drum kit. If I recall, Rick Nielsons son Zakk manned the skins that night....
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Filles de Kilimanjaro - Miles Davis, good stuff, turns out I had a couple of the tracks already on the Silent Way Complete Sessions boxset, but the stuff I was missing made it a well worthwhile acquisition. World Psychedelic Classics Vol. 5: Who Is William Onyeabor - William Onyeabor, early '70's Nigerian Funk with a psychedelic edge, awesome sounds. Aja - Steely Dan, has anyone not heard it? Eagles Their Greatest Hits - Eagles, one of the first records I ever purchased, like an old favorite mix tape. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic, WOW. First time I ever heard this album, have to say it was close to a religious experience, especially the title track. Part of a confluence of factors leading to waves of bliss washing over me on a sunny afternoon.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

I went looking at some China Cat - I know you riders and ran into a list of full shows. I saw a Dead show from '85 and thought I would check it out. Ended up listening to 90% of the show. The visuals are not great, but the sound is. Different set list, Jerry's voice was rough but his guitar playing was awesome. I saw most of my Dead shows in the 70s at the Spectrum, they played there a lot. It's a fun show, Bobby is running around having fun. Best part is Garcia's guitar in my opinion. Back to China Cats later. Enjoy Dead and Company those who are going tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL1M7momlXk&index=26&list=RD78tLB92KrLc
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

For daves 23Cold Rain & Snow, Wang Dang Doodle, Loser, Memphis Blues, Broken Arrow, Way To Go Home, Johnny B. Goode Drums*-> Iko Iko, Corinna-> Lazy River Road, Playin' In The Band-> Drums**-> Jam**-> The Other One***-> Stella Blue***-> Turn On Your Love Light***, E: Brokedown Palace https://archive.org/details/gd93-02-23.sbd.hall.1611.sbeok.shnf
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Time to break out your tried-and-true Bill Evans, "Sunday Live at the Village Vanguard", 'cause today is it's anni. 1961. And, of course, follow that with "How the West Was Won", 6/25/72. It, too, was a Sunday. And then, if your mo is still brimming, try that crazy Dead thing from Eugene, '78. It's, shall it be said, twisted in all the better ways. And, yes, it was a Sunday. Cheers!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....she knows Cheap Trick. Taking a break from the Dead and spinning some....
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Bin jammin some blind joe death todaye driven diown bayou blvd gators an chicadas Rip john fahey
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Great show... thanks, Jim.You just provided me with the perfect Sunday night soundtrack.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Thanks for the great suggestion on Bill Evans, one of my favorites, listening to it now. Of course I also have the Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, from which that album is a selection of, and a mighty fine selection at that. I haven't been to the Village Vanguard in many years. Last time had to be more than a decade ago when we saw Roy Hargrove there, back when he still played with Antonio Hart, that was a great show. Funny though, I even drive past there every day on way to work...but haven't found time or reason to enjoy that venue since. Life is funny like that. Big Bill Evans fan here though. Can't say enough good things about him. Just grab everything from him you can, I suppose. Explorations, Portrait, Everyone Digs, Interplay, and Know What I Mean with Cannonball, it's all great. Another good one from later on is You Must Believe In Spring...so beautiful. That one was suggested to me by the wife of one of the musicians on that album, whom I work with most nights. I'm guessing no one else on the job even knew who Bill Evans was when she said her husband played with him, and so she shared some stuff with me, because I did. Anyway, really great album, do check it out. Once again, best wishes to all fellow music lovers...
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

John Fahey really is worth checking out, I enjoy his albums "Vol 4" and "Days Have Gone By" the most. I also recommend Fahey's Zabriskie Film sessions and first Christmas album. As for the recent Dead and Co discussion, I have to say that Dead and Co while better than expected, has moments every show that make me physically cringe. Right now I enjoy LiveDead69 with Constanten , John K's various groups, Phil, and Kimock as always. I prefer Furthur to Dead and Co, it had a "family" vibe that seems to have been replaced with a "Diet Pepsi Commercial" vibe, in my opinion. I only attended the 2 FTW shows in Santa Clara and haven't listened to much of the 3 Chicago shows, but I'd still put that above Dead and Co as well as those actually had a legitimacy that will place them as basically the final word on the Grateful Dead. I don't really expect many people will be discussing Dead and Co very much once its over, but I am fairly sure that the FTW shows will be talked about and mentioned anytime the end of the Group is discussed any further beyond Jerry's passing. That damn "Mollom Privacy Policy" link, this is the rushed together slop of a 2nd draft after the clean and detailed 1st was erased. RECENT LISTENING: The SMiLE Sessions 5cds - BeachBoys Shadows in the Night, Fallen Angels and Triplicate - Bob Dylan Bamboo 1970 - Minoru Muraoka Ganryu Island(with J.Zorn) and Rodan - Sato Michihiro Karuna Supreme and Rainbow - John Handy and Ali Akbar Khan Complete Village Vanguard 61 - John Coltrane incl. Eric Dolphy
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Maggotbrain is sublime, Eddie Hazel was glorious.Clinton is on tour this summer, playing dates at small places. Was able to see him and Funkadelic last year, it was just great. They played Maggotbrain, too. Go if you can, you won't regret it. Somebody mentioned below that Oteil and Chuck Leavell saved the Allmans after Duane and Berry. I think he must have been thinking of Lamar Williams, who took over on bass, while C-Level basically took over the second guitar parts on piano. There was another bass player (whose name I don't remember) and then Allen Woody before Oteil came in the late 90's. I've been rocking Dave's 21 pretty hard the past week, great for summertime. I paid pretty close attention to it when it came out, but it sure has grown on me, love it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

ABB bass player during the lean years was David "Rook" Goldflies... they had some god awful albums back then, but I still showed up and supported the cause....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html