• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

You have great taste!(well, ok, your taste seems close to mine!)I was playing the Coltrane/Dolphy Village Voice only yesterday! Good to be reminded about the Handy double as well-but I also like his 4 album run on CBS including the Monterey appearance.. And you mention the lovely Bamboo by Minoru Muroaka, which makes me wonder if you know the Rock joint albums, Biwa and Cither by Hiromasa Suzuki? methinks these two are right up your alley. Apart from Coltrane, my cd player has been monopolised this weekend by the 3 Craig Taborn albums on ECM, in particular the recent Daylight Ghosts.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

This is an incredible CC/IKYR, Whenever Hornsby is with the Dead, He makes them better(imo), Jerry sounded so good both guitar wise and vocals, love the train effects on IKYR,it is just so good. Was that Welnick on keyboards, Only Hornsby on accordion works for me. He takes an accordion break on IKYR, They just sound awesome.Jim md-you are right, it was Lamar Williams with Chuck Leavell, Oteil was later on.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dont forget china ryder into samba in rain plenty in tha year this one of my favorites reminds of my youth Mississippi Half Step, The Race is On, Lazy River Road, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Tennessee Jed, Eternity China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Samba In The Rain, Women Are Smarter, Truckin'-> Drums-> Space-> The Last Time-> That Would Be Something-> Morning Dew, E: One More Sat Night rip cricket miss u dailey
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Regarding Dead and Company they represent the latest in post Jerry line ups with the purpose of, and I a going to paraphrase another member JimInMD (spelling?). He summed up all the post Jerry line ups as the boys doing their best to provide a public service to all who love the Grateful Dead music. Again as I am paraphrasing, I am sure I did not get exact the words correct but I think the message does get across. I totally agree with idea as it best sums up what I feel is the most important piece. The music that was made by The Grateful Dead was and is completely in league of its own and it does wonders the mind body and soul. I do like a lot of other bands, but no one comes close to The Grateful Dead. I also know I am not alone because even when it gets a little ugly on these boards sometimes, I still see a bunch of people as passionate as I am about this band. That is why the remaining members have kept playing, they boys in enjoy and fans are still passionate about it. Now it hasn’t been consistent throughout the years with tours and members but even in the different incarnations the sum is greater than the parts. Of course the post Jerry line ups are different and they should be, but I still think each line-up has brought good things to everyone. I think all of the post Jerry line ups got the point and truly the music has played the band. I think with Dead and Company they are on more on than they are off. Sure there are some flubs but they really sound great a lot of the time.   For me I am the worst Deadhead…what I mean by that is I got into the Grateful Dead near the end. I didn’t have any cool people around me when I was younger to introduce me to them earlier on, so I only caught a couple of shows in 94 and 95. What makes me a bad Deadhead is that shortly after those shows Jerry died. So I got to be part of things however brief it was, but then it was taken away -  forever, or at least I thought so. Now till this day, not a day goes by that I wish I didn’t catch more shows. If I could somehow just get my hands on a flux capacitor or a TARDIS and maybe then travel back in time, that could be an alternative.  Don’t get me wrong, I am still lucky to have seen a few shows with Jerry. However I see all of these posts where people caught them in 89 for this run or a Spring 90 set of shows. Or there some who have seen them in 73, 77, or 80-81. I always lament that I may have been born at the wrong time and place.   The good news is that I discovered that along with the massive amount of material that has been released there are vast amounts of the shows that can be downloaded and YouTube has so many shows to chose from that has kept me satisfied to some extent. I have seen just about all of the post Jerry line-ups (I missed my chance to see Further due to a crazy work situation). I found that for each of these line ups, I went in with the expectation of just being happy to be there and to enjoy  myself. In many instances I did get some great experiences out of it. This includes Dead and Company, although the last show I saw was a little on the mellow side. The best thing is that it is 2017 and there is still something good to go see. The crowd doesn’t seem to be too bad in terms of behaviors, and I get mostly good vibes all around. My thought specifically for Dead and Company is that I can’t see them going for too many more year into the future. I feel like once again due to the ravages of time, we are the cusp of change (not that I want that). If anyone is one the fence about seeing them, I would recommend giving them a try.     When it is all said and done, I would have no problems seeing a band with Jeff, John and Oteil and some supporting members as I think these guys are stellar. Those guys get it. In the end I hope that what was started many, amny years ago just keeps continuing on into the future. I like the idea of providing a public service to all who love the Grateful Dead music. I know that there are many Deadheads who never got see Jerry and I also know that this music has been passed on through generations. I see no reason why it can’t continue on into the distant future, as long as the point is not lost.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

That we have what we have left in 2017 is stellar. If you've been to the shows much of the spirit is there, in the people. John, Oteil and Chimenti are hitting it out of the park on a nightly basis.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Thanks for the China Cats, I'm checking them out. Jimbo, I'very always enjoyed 4/17/72 as well.I also listened to the Hundred Year Hall version almost exclusively in my pre-Dead-Freak days, when one great version seemed like a reasonable commodity. It's funny you mentioned 5/24/72. I always put the China Cat from 5/3 with the Rider from 5/24, because the Rider from 5/3 has all of the studio vocal overdubs that I don't care for; the transition is seamless. I need to check out the entire 5/24 pairing again - I sort of forget which China Cat that one is. I also want to do 7/31/74 again. I just did Dillon Stadium about a month ago, and I remember being impressed with it. I'll have to check out 5/17/74 - don't believe I've heard that one yet. And DP 10, I don't listen to nearly as much as I should. There are some strong advocates on Heady Version of the Road Trips Wall Of Sound performance; I was cranking that one last week in the car.
user picture

Member for

11 years

DP 10 also has a great New Minglewood Blues. At about the 3:30 mark Jerry's guitar takes on a great tone and achieves that 'interstellar liftoff' we all crave.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Iko-Iko opens the 2nd set! Hey, I liked the whole show, the boys still have it!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

although as much as I love dicks 25 they did flub up Bertha. someone missed a cue that the band was going into a jam so you hear bob go "I got to mooooo-ooooove~~~~~...... (followed by jamming) lol. oh well mistakes happen lol.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Been on a little break from the Dead, but I think that is over with a vengeance. Had a craving for the classic Darkstar from 2/27/69 from the Fillmore West so I gave it a spin. That is the Darkstar against which I measure all others as it is etched on my brain from repeated listening to it on Live Dead. One of the main things that got me hooked on the Dead in the first place, and now putting me fully in the mood for more Dead. Only question now is what's next? Veneta '72? Arrowhead '78? Maybe something from Spring '90? Something random from 30TATS? Sometimes a little Dead break really sparks the enthusiasm for some Dead when the break is over.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Something random from 30trips: how about cornell 81? its a pretty smoking show I think.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Funny.. I've been hitting on some of the older classics this week too. Today's treat was from Dicks Picks 26, 4/26/69. I had forgotten how good some of those transitions sounded.. great stuff. Cryptical Envelopment Drums The Other One The Eleven The Other One It's A Sin I just finished Dicks Picks 22 from Kings Beach Bowl in February 68. Wild and woolly Grateful Dead. Good call on FW 69. Its been a while.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I got Dicks 26 for Christmas the year it came out. and one time I was downloading at a site called gdlive.org and it was a show from 69 the more I listened to it, it was Dicks picks 26 note for note but they had it completely mislabeled. that release particularly The Eleven on disc 1 turned me on to the 69 era. so many nice things on that Dicks release: China Cat, both The Elevens, Both Lovelights. Morning Dew- Apparently they got to the show late and played a short show. Doin' That Rag-one of my personal faves from 60's era. hearing Dupree's and Mountains of the Moon for the first time. cant say a bad word about that release. cept...too bad it wasn't a full release of either show unless they both were and they were opening for someone no idea.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

O3 17 93 capitolCrazy Fingers-> Playin' In The Band-> Dark Star-> Jam*-> Drums-> Jam-> The Other One-> The Days Between-> Good Lovin', E: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Kiss is to music what wrestling is to sports....Semi-fake, kinda' cheezy, not much substance. If you understand what you are getting and you like it, more power to you.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....touting the '90's Dead. 'bout time someone did. I raise my glass to you....and, well, KISS is KISS. One can't deny that Detroit Rock City is a great tune. Or can they?...P Hill. Phil. Took me a few daze, but I got it....
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Great analogy davetobin.But yeah, if it's what turns you on, go for it.....just don't drag me along.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Deer creekHelp On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Wang Dang Doodle, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, To Lay Me Down, El Paso, New Speedway Boogie-> Smokestack Lightning China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider-> Estimated Prophet, Way To Go Home-> Drums-> Jam-> The Last Time-> China Doll-> Around & Around, E: Casey Jones
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Decided to give this a spin today based on the recommendation of kyleharmon after my post yesterday. It seems when I grab something from the early '80's from 30TATS it usually ends up being the '82 Manor Downs show, but Cornell '81 is sounding good so far today. Good to get outside of the shows that I listen to more often. DP26 and DP22 are both good primal dead, probably have to give another listen to those as well, been a while since I played either of those. Also thinking that there are studio albums that I rarely listen to anymore but that are due for a spin - Anthem of the Sun was in regular rotation the summer after high school in '84, loads of fond memories get sparked when I play that one. Been ruminating on Gratefulhan's post regarding being the worst kind of Deadhead - I don't think it matters when you got on the bus, from my point of view it matters much more whether or not you are kind. There are Deadhead's who have seen lots of shows and may be a jerk, and there are Deadhead's who have never been lucky enough to see a show who are totally cool. That's how it seems to me anyway.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

cornell '81 definitely seems to have the best audio quality out of all the 3 official 81 releases. and I like them all for their individuality. but this particular 81 really grabbed my attention. so much so I pointed it out in a raving way to someone who owns the box set ( I don't own it I only have a few shows here and there) and he said he would actually have to go back and check it out. it might not be cornell 77 but the band still gives it all they got for 81 and are firing on all four cylinders. it has most of all my fave 80's songs. I mean check out that shakedown street. and also has feel like a stranger? I could go on and on about this one. also as far as being the worst dead head getting into the band after they were done. that's not true it doesn't matter when you get onboard. people getting into this band well after when they were done is what still keeps this band alive. its almost as if the music truly never stopped.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Jammin kezar 75 tape watchen gators livBlues for allah Stronger then dirt Drums Stronger then dirt Blues for allah Johnny b goode
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Why are the posts on this page about 1981? This is the 1977 set. ?Anyway, why is Cornell '77 so over rated? I think it's marketing. Englishtown '77 is way better.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Its a big step in the right direction from the Kiss discussion.. and at least its got the word Cornell in it. I'd give them a pass. I don't think Cornell is that overrated.. but there are a lot of shows I enjoy more.. Besides, in another couple weeks all this will be moot when Dave announces the next pick and his discovery of the hidden room in the vault with all those 1968 and 1970 formerly lost reels.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

How could it NOT be over rated? Unless you think it's the greatest show that ever appeared on Earth! That is the hype on this web site and elsewhere. Heck, there was a book written about that one show, LOL! And I don't get it. It's good, but gee there are plenty better, including in '77. Are you just hoping about '68-'70 shows in the vault? I hope it's true! Those are their best years hands down without the slightest doubt! Kiss discussion?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

well...im also planning a two hour discussion on the last 2 discs of dicks 25 after the treadmill exercise :P
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Well.. I did say 'not that overrated'.. which leaves a bit of wiggle room. In truth, I prefer the return of the Wolf 77 stuff a bit more. I even posted some such nonsense not that long ago that compared the July 78 box to May 77, and I think I gave it even st. stephen. How could it not be more overrated.. well they didn't use ALL CAPS in the title.. which would clearly mean its better then the proper case labeled Charlie Millers of the Archive. I do think its 5/7-5/9 are really good shows, the recordings.. excellent.. but there are honestly a dozen or two shows that I can easily get lost in for longer than anything in 1977. But I really don't think they are that much overrated.. they are really good shows. I prefer Buffalo of the three but I have never met a Morning Dew I did not like and the Cornell Dew is the best from 75-?? which certainly has to stand for something.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I would agree with JiminMd that these recordings are excellent, including 5/5, but there are definitely shows I like more. Don't get me wrong, they are all top tier recordings and shows, but I like the first May '77 box and just as much. Really a good time to be a deadhead. As far as shows to get lost in, I followed up the '81 Cornell show with DP19 from 10/19/73 and that has a nice PITB to finish out the first set and one of my favorite Darkstars in the second set. You really can't go wrong with anything from '73, either Dead or Jerry side projects. I guess I'll start the DP 25 discussion - two nights, one recorded by Betty (Springfield, May 11, '78) and one by Owsley (New Haven, May 10, '78) with the same set up. Compare and contrast next time you give it a spin.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

You are definitely right. When I wrote that I was trying to think of the best way to convey what I was (and still) thinking. Honestly I am being critical of myself and basically kicking out some regret. Every time a Post Jerry line up has come up, there are the criticisms of which some are more legitimate than others. At the heart of it is that everyone does agree that they miss Jerry and how the band was back then. That’s inevitable for anything that has happened since 95. For me once I got on the bus, I was all about learning about the band and getting tapes of shows. When Jerry died, I wanted to get EVERY show, because that was it. In doing that I also picked up a Deadbase JR, which I still have. I read set lists and of all of these shows, over all of these years. That made think as I still do about what ifs. Plus just recently watching the LST and with Dead and Company touring it added that dimension of look at what used to be, and of course I hear more about what was. So basically my regret that sometimes comes with the ravages of time came, through there and I lacked the vernacular to describe effectively. It is the inevitableness of hindsight. Again, I do feel like the post Jerry line ups have brought good things. I read these boards daily and even though I got my better half on the bus, I can’t talk about things like the best Dark Star or the difference a 77 show versus and 78 show with her. I have plenty of friends that love the Dead, not all are Deadheads per say, but even then I don’t see them very often. So these comments sections keep me going on this passion of mine. The other thing that keeps me going is getting to listen to more shows. My little project is a throwback/nostalgia thing where I am taking various partial shows that have been released and putting them on tape. It seemed like back when tapes where it, I always seemed to have shows that had many songs cut, sometimes even huge sections of shows. I also had some tapes that had songs out of order (not fillers either). Don’t know why. For what ever reason, there is something about that time when I had tapes and these partial shows, that many years later appeals to me. Now when I put these tapes together, I will sequence the shows correctly but they will not be complete. Of course to do this, I went to purchase my old tapes of choice- Maxell Hi Bias XLII recently. They are so expensive now because they are discontinued – a 5 pack runs for $44! Who would have thought nostalgia would be so pricy?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Great posts GHan. Interesting perspective on things GD. I used to have great tape decks for getting the best possible copy I could of shows, it was a Nakamichi guy and I bought the best tapes I could afford at the time. I haven't done this for a while.. but I used to have all my old eqpt. set up in the basement, tape deck, turntable, my old Marantz amp from circa 1980?? and I'd get a little ripped, head down to the basement, crank it way up and have retro nights. Alas.. my Nak no longer works, the belts and bands that make it run eventually dry rotted and I never replaced it. I moved in 2010 and have not yet had the opportunity to set up my turntable.. so retro night is long overdue. I guess I have embraced my inner digital and joined the modern era. I don't think you came to the party too late and none of us can control the year in which we were born. I liked thin's post with the movie reference Midnight in Paris.. so relevant. I dropped out of the GD scene for the most part in 1991 because I just got too busy finishing school and getting my career off the ground. By pure happenstance I was on business travel in 2007, got off the subway on Halloween and Phil and Friends were playing in Times Square.. I went, had a blast and ended up befriending this guy from Pittsburgh who has been my main show buddy ever since. I had such a blast.. I kicked myself in the ass for missing out on so much over the 15 years I was not involved.. it was still going on and it was still rewarding and fresh. One of the coolest things about it besides the many interesting and usually kind, considerate folks out there is seeing the seeds of a new generation become totally absorbed by the whole thing and the music. People that weren't even born when Jerry passed are having as much fun as me and seem to get it. It is different, but in a way the same. I think its a statement that this wheel keeps turning 52 years later and counting. There isn't another band out there that has enjoyed this kind of life cycle. Again, its very rewarding new folks join in and see it all continue, grow and morph its way into the future. Great posts.. thanks for sharing.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Good post. Definitely share your appreciation of the comments on these threads and the shared passion for the Grateful Dead amongst the posters here. Kind of weird as I have an aversion towards social media in general, so this is the only site that I post to other than an occasional review on Amazon.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 2 months

Gone are the days of my cassette days. I miss them and there was an episode of Hoarders that featured just me in a shed surrounded by, and sleeping upon, a bed of Maxell Tapes. They were all I needed. By the way, Carmelized High Bias Tapes were the cornerstone of my magnetized diet. But really, I kind of had a moment of realization after reading Blair Jackson's Golden Road article- Goodbye To My Cassettes. At that time I still had well over 1000 tapes, and it made me realize they don't sound very good anymore, and virtually every tape I had is available in much better quality, with the click of a mouse. Suppose it's one of the benefits of having insights of those whose GD journey started well before mine. I still have about 30 tapes, refusing to say goodbye completely to my cassettes. The rest of my tapes were slowly brewed into a thick Maxell Stew that was served with 8-Track Applesauce. Kind of bittersweet (not just the sauce) that Vinyl has had a resurgence of sorts, but Cassette Tapes are becoming some forgotten art. To paraphrase- People will come Ray. Cassette Tapes- they're a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. People will record on those tapes Ray- People will cherish those Maxell Tapes. Maybe the actual quote was a bit different (James Earl Jones loves High Bias Hash- with Hushpuppies).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

First off, hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I've been really busy with work and on the weekends i've been trying to be outdoors as much as possible. More than anything i've been enjoying hiking with my kids and watching as they develop the same love of the outdoors that i feel. One thing i wanted to mention since there are a few people on this board who weren't into the dead when Jerry was alive. It doesn't matter. The music is timeless. The feeling i can tell you feel is timeless as well. I didn't see the band when Pigpen or Keith were alive. You didn't see the band when Jerry was alive. There are people who told me i missed out because i didn't see the band in the 60s and 70s. There will be people who tell you that you missed out as well. Don't listen to them - collect the music (plenty of people on this site who can help), listen to it with all your heart, and go see the band and enjoy them without apology. Yes it's changed...but it is the same in all the ways that count. There will be even more people who are just happy to have you feel what we all feel and will welcome you the way (most of us) were welcomed. PS - loved your comment about your better half. My wife and i met because of a shared love of the dead but even now if i go off on an extra nerdy tangent she looks at me like i am coming from a star trek convention. Very grateful for this board.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Just saw the announcement for this year's MUATM...7/12/89
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My FIRST show, man I was out of my mind, just graduated high school a month earlier, been hooked ever since.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I was at this one! Ahh, the summer of '89! Great times! Great music!
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Looks pretty good. I have not heard this show yet so will be fun to see it. I know I can make this one, I hope. Question for itsburnsy: On my email it says it is 1 hour and forty minutes. Surely that is wrong, maybe either 2 hours and fourty minutes or 140 minutes??? Edit: And yeah 89 and summer then fall of 89 were some fun times, and the leapfrogging of technology was amazing to hear. Btw, I have posted before that I never really heard much post Brent stuff until 30Tats came out and I for the most point enjoyed those shows. Listened to RT vol2 number 1 from MSG and DiP 27 from Oakland Coliseum and both a very enjoyable listens. Really gives my BBS a good work out. Does some nice things to my listening room with its hard wood floors. The Phil Bombs are quite nice. BTW, there was a lot of discussion about drums a few week/months (?) ago. The drums on DiP 27 gets really wild with effects and stereo panning round and round.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

It is weird the KISS discussions. Not just the discussion here, but the number of times it comes up on here. Like a skip on a cd or record as it goes around, the discussion comes up every few months. Weird. I was a huge fan in 1976, seeing them twice, and 1977. Once I heard 2112 (late 1977) KISS disappeared prog entered and the fellas followed shortly thereafter. Saw KISS the last time in 1979 and just watched in amusement. I had seen Rush on the Hemispheres tour. Every 5-10 years I still through on Alive to relive those memories but that is my last word on that.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

You have 2 May 77 sets, and then the June Winterland box set. I think (for now anyway) that my favorite HOTW-S-FT is on June 9,77. It is incredible, vocals, guitars, just out of this world. So, what will be the next Dave's Picks? I think it could be something from the eighties. Have a great night.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

My beloved local public library just delivered the new Dylan record, 'Triplicate.' Christ, it's beautiful. To think that Bob, the rebel, the catalyst of the whole goddamn cultural revolution (okay, a major cog in the wheel then), could go back at this point and render such incredible takes on classic American songs that shaped his early years before he went rogue. Only this man at this time could pull this off with a straight face without being Pure Cheese. Rod Stewart, eat your heart out. A nod to someone called Tom Piazza for liner notes that are a work of art itself. The old Nobel-prizewinner sure smoothed out his voice quite a lot from that cigarette-drenched, guttural churn he spat up all over 'Tempest.' He sounds like he's having quite the fun being Bob Dylan, and he doesn't always. I hope he lives forever. -- KISS was a cultural phenomenon not unlike the Dead. When you think about it, a bunch of middle-class white kids getting stoned and rocking out to their favorite band doesn't make the two all that far apart. Yes, I get the difference, but both were - and are - still fun. -- 5/7/72 Bickershaw Festival, Wigan England just came on (I like the randomness of thousands of Dead songs on shuffle) and I nearly forgot Jerry played around with a wah-wah pedal! He didn't use one much. He could have used one more... like the pedal steel he so effortlessly wielded on "Teach Your Children," the lyrical cry of the wah pedal is perfectly suited to his style. Fun stuff. And a great rap about people climbing off the P.A. towers, Weir saying, "get the fuck down," flares going off, etc. It sounds like Apocalypse Now there for a second. -- Check out the 'Apocalypse Now' soundtrack on cd. It's one of those amazing, multidimensional constructs featuring a bunch of creepy werid shit Mickey Hart contributed, interspersed with the movie dialogue, Doors songs, and mad ramblings from a time displaced from sanity itself... what could go wrong?
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The D&C website saysMickey, Bill, John, Bob WITH Oteil and Jeff Does that mean that Oteil and Jeff aren't permanent members and are just being paid studio musician union salary? If that's the case then that's a bunch of BS because they contribute as much as anybody else.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

.....I signed onto this new site, it's finally my tin/aluminum anniversary. Ten Years After is also a pretty good band. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Happy Birthday Senator.. I'm channeling some big water for your Rio Grand trip. If I had a little more time and coin, I'd meet you there. We had Brazilian guests in today.. fresh in from LA and Vegas. They said it was almighty hot in Vegas, 110 degrees. It got down to the mid 40's here a couple nights ago.. what a difference a few thousand feet of elevation makes... I took them on the Class I section of the river I live on (downstream). Even though it was 80 degrees here (hot for us) they were cold when they got off. Weird about the D&C membership wording. Money.. we all need a little but it sure can fluck things up from time to time.. especially in excess. I still might stream a bit from Chicago.. I think last Saturday might just be the best so far this tour. oh, finally.. I was at the 7/12 show too. I had fonder memories of the next night.. a hell of a rain and we got a To Lay Me Down, a smoking Memphis Blues and Let it Grow. I wonder if the rain mucked up the video portion? Well, perhaps Dave knows better then me or he knows my memory sucks.. Edit: I just noticed there is no soundboard for the second set of 7/13 on the archive. I wonder if they have one? Its almost Happy Friday. Have a good weekend folks.. Be sure to do something really fun.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....the forecast looks promising. Lots of snowpack in the Rockies this winter. Praying for a stellar ride....also snowpack feeds the Colorado River, which feeds Lake Mead, which feeds Vegas. Keep it coming!!....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Surely this was me. I'm not too good of a rule follower.. I think our collective ADD has moved beyond 5/5/77 - 5/9/77. I am already thinking of the next box set and Dave's Pick. With this years meet up at the movies.. I am thinking of the next DVD Box Set entitled, Grateful Dead - Short Shorts Box Set. :D
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I was thinking with all the meet up at the movies, it would be very cool to have a dvd + cd box with summer 1989.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

"You can't stop a good time RFK '89"... OR "turn on your (head) love lights"
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html