• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

11-11-73 is a jazz monster that drips into deep space and a lovely Feelin Groovy. Currently in 7-31-71 Yale Bowl DarkStar>Birdsong. Damn, with music like this, I really didn't need this box but just can't get over how good those Bettys sounded in the 78 box. Extraordinary. Loved these shows for years. And yeah, Bobaloo's a cool cat, knows his Dead.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Kind words......in all honesty, what I know of the Dead came from your tutor skills. I'm still learning and hope to always be.Your capacity to remember each nuisance of hundreds of shows is incredible. A skill I will never have the capacity to do, but enjoy the ride on the bus none the less. Cheers........
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

that's you unkle... entitled and really out of line...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

When they announced this limited release (we can debate the merits to limiting this set in the first place), there were only two possible outcomes. Someone was going to be upset either way. If they did not extend the release beyond the original 15,000, there were going to be thousands of Deadheads shut out from this anticipated release. They would not get to experience these legendary shows without paying an arm or a leg on Ebay. They would lose, not just a product, but an experience. They would lose the ability to LISTEN to a Dead show in the format of their choice. Last I checked, most Deadheads are fans because they want to LISTEN to the band. If they extended the run (as they did), there were going to be those who were upset that their limited copy is no longer limited and therefore "loses value". They can claim that value is not monetary, and that it gives them satisfaction to see a rare item on their shelf, but I suspect most are saddened by their future Ebay profit margin going down the tubes. They're not losing an experience. They're losing an intangible "value" the is solely driven by the secondary market. The Dead were always about listening to and experiencing the music, not staring at memorabilia on a wall or price gouging on the internet. The question is, which of the purchasers in these two scenarios do you sympathize with? Frankly, I can't find the sympathy for those in the latter scenario. And if you are someone in the latter scenario, I ask, what are you losing (besides potential dollars) by this All Music Edition?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

i myself can see both sides here. i want everyone to have the music too, but i paid for something Dave told me was a limited run. i hope betty is getting paid.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

What I paid for, was the opportunity to hear these 4 concerts in Normanized Glory. I didn't pay for the book, or the number, or the opportunity to feel special. I'm not trying to be insensitive or smug, but if you paid for those things, then maybe you should consider reallocating your money to something more worthwhile.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

I bought this release last Thursday. Yeah it was a struggle for a couple hours but in the long run didn't really effect my life that much. I could really care less if they sold 15,000 or a million of them. Sure I love the music as much as anyone, but my life will not suddenly be less because I didn't get a copy or I cant re sell it for some inflated price. I buy most of the releases that I can afford too. I skipped the TATS box because at the time I couldn't shell out that much. Would have I liked to be able to cherry pick a few of the shows included in the box that I went to or other wise really dug? sure. But that is not being offered. I got over it pretty fast lol. I woke up the next day just like any other day.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Gave some of this show a listen last night, and I was really surprised. First of all, it sounds so different from the May 1977 stuff. It seems like Jerry has a different tone on his guitar, and maybe there is not as much reverb used? Anyway, the Playin' is spectacular. It might be the last true stand alone Playin, and in classic '73 fashion it's the first set closer. It's fast, has a meltdown in the middle and when the song materializes at the end again they are just on fire. The Scarlet>Fire also has a different feel to it. Jerry does some really interesting things. Also, Keith is using some interesting effects and sounds throughout the PLayin' and the Scarlet>Fire. Anyway, if you're looking for something a little different, check out this show. It doesn't sound like typical 1977. I guess they were working their way towards that May sound, but this show is just raw. Got to give a nod to Donna's vocals as well. Weir does some strange things too, during the Playin'
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I find this whole conversation funny.Every time a limited something comes out, ebay becomes the devil. There are some people out there (SFN1989) who gouge the fool out of people. There are others who sell their own collection, sell their excess, and ebay is simply a marketplace. There are costs to doing the business and anyone who thinks that you get rich off ebay sales is uneducated. Every sale takes up to 10% off the top for the house, 10% off the shipping fees (again for the house), 2-4% from PayPal. Then there's the costs of shipping materials and such. If you're lucky (?) enough to sell a lot on ebay you get the added bonus of a 1099K form so you can pay income tax on that money. And if you're even luckier, your ebay sales added onto your income from your day job, push you into a new tax bracket. There's ways to buy and sell on ebay without being the demon. I should know, I do it, and I sell a lot and I sell for folks a lot on consignment. It's supply and demand. Personally for me, I'm a completist. What's that mean? Well, I have the 2 CD release of Grayfolded, plus the individual original releases of Transitive Axis, and Mirror Ashes. I also have the Grayfolded Radio Edits. My Dicks Picks collection? Complete, original releases. Not Rhino, Not Real Gone. I upgraded over time. The 2 Dicks Picks Samplers? Got em. The Dick's Dex? Got it. Ask a Corvette collector, does he want an original '63, or a kit car replica? For some, the '63 is the only way to go. Not deep pockets? The kit car. Will each get spurn and disdain from the other? Sure. Is there a market for both? Of course there is. The Europe 72 trunk... sells at a premium on ebay. There's an All Music edition. It also sells for a little more. There's a market for both. And eventually, the factories shut down and stop pressing cd's of the run... so that they can start pressing new stuff. And if they didn't make 4 billion copies, well, then there's not one for everyone in the world. So it's a limited edition, in theory. And eventually someone will resell it, and the price commanded will be the price that one person wants to pay who doesn't have it. The All Music edition is a great way for people to get the music they want.... And Cornell IS a different beast than FW69. People are pissed about FW69 because they missed out and it's so expensive. ... oh well, too bad. Sorry, that's just how it is. I really really REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking REALLY want a black, 1957 Chevy Bel Air. I mean, it's the coolest car ever and I think I should have one. Unfortunately, I was born in 1972, I have 2 kids, a wife, a house, and I don't have enough in my savings to buy one. But I'll be damned that in 1957 a Bel Air model # 2413 didn't cost $2,364.00 new. And I'm pissed off that Chevy doesn't at least make the same car, and put it out now at the same price. Sure it's a 2017 1957 Bel Air... but I missed out and that's not fair. Everyone should drive that car. Sound ludicrous? Ebay also has other purposes rather than people "getting rich". I have done consignment sales for folks who are selling their collections because of financial difficulty, loss in the family, or even just retiring and focusing on other things in life. Most people here a long time know me, I work both sides, I try and get folks a fair deal and not overpay... but a true collector knows that you have to pay sometimes. And for consignment, not everyone is ebay savvy. And it DOES take a lot of time and effort if you do it in an ongoing way. No one who is a long time ebay seller should EVER have expected to get rich off Cornell. That simply doesn't happen. I agree, there's scalper type folks out there now selling at 2-300 a piece. That's wrong... just like I think some stuff some sellers do on a daily basis is wrong (SFN1989). But a lot of folks also just do it for the hobby, to make a few bucks, and to each his own. I have no problem with people making a buck, I do have problems with people gouging other people without folks being informed. Anyway... suffice to say... again, I think this whole conversation is funny. Hadn't posted on here in a long time, but this conversation always sucks me back in. To those who I haven't spoken to in a long time, hope ya'll are doing well. I'm excited about this release.... can't wait. Great stuff.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Mornin' rockers There seems to be bit too much bad juju going around here on this board. I think some need to take a step back and take a deep breath. I have bought many cds, concert tickets, etc. on ebay. Regardless of the sales price, I never felt like I got gouged or ripped off because IT WAS ME WHO AGREED TO THE SALES PRICE! Nobody forced me to buy. I found what I wanted, at a price I felt was commensurate with the value of the item to me, and I bought it. NOBODY is ever ripped off on ebay. If the price is too much for me, I don't buy. Pretty simple no? And let's also remember ebay is legal. Who among us does not have a cd that someone copied for us? Or did you ever make a copy for someone else? That is illegal. Oh sure. "Everybody does it" does not make it legal. So be careful with your accusations. Isn't this the way it works throughout the market place every day? Sure, I would love a Mercedes, but I cannot afford it. Do I go around complaining about those dirty scumbag German auto makers? Of course not. The price is the price. If you don't want to pay, or can't pay, that is the end of it. I move on. Back in the ancient times of my college days, I used to have more money then my buddy. So when we went out for a midnite run for pizza or subs, I paid. He always said he felt bad that he could not contribute. I told him not to think about it because the money in my pocket could be used for various things, but if I chose to buy him a sub, I was getting my value for the money spent. Sure, I could have bought gas for my car, or another record (!) but I chose to buy him food and that gave me the same amount of pleasure. Not to preach, but another thing that brings a smile to my face is when I see folks on this board comment on how much they think there Dead collection is worth. Remember, it is only worth what someone will pay you for it. So when you see the FW69 box on ebay for $750., that doesn't mean the seller will actually get that. He is asking for $750, but who knows what he will actually get? Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

if all you care about is the music you will kindly SWITCH with the first person on here to comment they would prefer the numbered version. please dont say what you dont mean, or take Dead.net challenge and offer yours up for trade. i dont believe you at all. *** i purchase a lot of stuff via dead.net, and my family is pretty understanding. some people buy stocks and bonds or antiques....i buy dead stuff, its nice knowing that my kids could get what i paid or a little more someday if they were in a pinch. so although i dont buy to resell, i do have an interest in what my stuff might be worth someday
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

I only bought one because I just spent a my nut on Phish's Bakers Dozen. Theoretically, if 750 people bought the 20 copy max, it would be sold out. The 20 limit was insane. Practically most people did not do that. I wish I was able to buy 2 or 3 and trade back for some sets which I only have digital copies of, specifically the other May 77, but whatever. The limited edition will continue to be collectible even with the music only edition out now. People like numbered things for some reason, myself included. Life goes on
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Since you paid for the music only and I just love the little extras, book, etc - How about we trade? I send you my all music ed. (that apparently is the same price as yours) and you send me your fancy numbered one so that I can drool over it as I listen to Jer melt my face off?Awesome!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Youve got a taker!!! August West Wharf Rat just saved you from having all that extra baggage! Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Why would I give scalpers my box set? You'll flip it on Ebay all the same. No thanks, I'll open it, bend the pages as I flip through the book, and probably scuff up the sides by accident at some point. But most importantly, I'll listen to it, over and over again. Your comparison to stocks is so insane it boggles the mind. The actual point of stocks is to profit; you get a return on your investment at a later date. Are you suggesting that the whole point of your purchase at dead.net is to profit and make some cash? Your own argument exposes your motives. I agree with brian, Ebay is not inherently the devil. I've gotten a few releases that way. It's also not evil to sell things there at a profit; this is America after all. All I'm saying, is that I have zero sympathy for those whose motivation to purchase a limited box is to make a buck. You didn't make this music, you didn't remaster it, you didn't design the artwork or write the liner notes. Yet, you feel you are entitled to make some cash because you check your email more frequently than someone else? No, you're not a "smart consumer", you're a leech.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

my point was i hope my kids get the 150 bucks back some day if they decide they dont like the music, or dont want the sentimental value of my dead stuff. i have a 5 and 3 year old girls, so when i spend 150 bucks, i think of them now....not just me. bend your books, whatever. i go thru all my stuff without resale on my mind.....some of us like the books and junk. ***my 5 year old daughter uses the 30 trips box for her play jewelry and other toys. she loves the hidden compartments.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

August, I will trade ya, if you could help me fill some holes in my Dicks picks collection!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

who cares that they released it in another version? I'll still listen to the music the same way. Maybe for collectors who want everything factory sealed, i could see the annoyance, but I'm the kind of guy who played with his star wars figures instead of leaving on the shelf, so I can't really relate. music is meant to be heard, not kept in a vault (and isn't that why everyone's busting a nut over this release in the first place?). AND, for those who bought early, you get a book as a bonus. Not enough for you? Sometimes, life throws you a curveball. hang tough, you will be ok!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

If you're really concerned about your young girls and their future, I would suggest spending 150 on an actual investment. Safe stocks, bonds, etc. There's other options for you to make a future for your kids, that DON'T involve taking advantage of a limited release that prevents Deadheads from hearing their favorite band. It's not your fault that Rhino made the set limited, that was folly. But it is really off-putting to hope your kids can make $100 bucks in 40 years at the expense of a Deadhead experiencing these shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

not only are there more releases catered to you bickering 70s fans, poor 80s fans have to come on here and listen to extensive whining about all yer vast pre-80s luxuries and varieties of such. that said, i pity the poor fool that deliberately chose to opt out of this year's dave's subscription with all the advance notice of the first two.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

1)I TRIED EVERY DAY since THU TO ORDER ONLINE AND 'I COULD NOT GET ACROSS'. I TRIED 5x ON SAT THROUGH RHINO W/ 4 CARDS AND PAYPAL, TOOK ME TO THE LAST STAGE EVERY TIME AND THEN "THIS FORM OF PAYMENT INVALID.' I HAD FAITH AND KEPT TRYING EVERY DAY. SO I FINALLY CALL TO MAKE SURE I GET ONE MON MORN AND ... SOLD OUT!!!!! SO BUMPY THAT I ALMOST CRIED!!!! I GUESS 'IT'S NOBODY'S FAULT BUT MINE'! SINCE I COULD NOT CALL THE ORDER IN (FOR FAMILY REASONS) EARLIER, BUT SHOULD HAVE CALLED INSTEAD OF AIMLESSLY REORDERING ONLINE OVER AND OVER LIKE AN IDIOT. 2)I find out today that there was a 20 copy limit! WTF! Really? Now I know it is a shell game. Who needs 20 copies? I wanted 2 OR MAYBE 3 copies (1 for me, 1 for my brother, and maybe one for any buddy who could not get one ... to be sold to said buddy for what I paid or traded for goodies.) Now 1 limited ed copy would be 'a miracle' for me. THIS IS WHY COPIES WERE ALREADY BEING SOLD for $300 ON EBAY. I got the email and had faith that they would fix the credit card problem and followed all links and instructions. STILL GOT LEFT OUT. Slap in the face to tried and true like me. 3) THIS 15,000 LIMITED ED CRAP IS UNFAIR. give us 20,000 or 25,000. Rhino/GDP knew 15 thousand copies would go fast and had the 'All music ed' ready to go... tease you w/ the organic carrot and when there are none left, sell you a conventional carrot FOR THE SAME EXACT PRICE!!!! IT COSTS WAY LESS FOR THEM TO PRODUCE AND THEREFORE PROFIT FOR THEM GOES WAY UP --- SMART BUSINESS, BUT BAD BUSINESS - LEFT ME W/ BAD TASTE - (A LA TATS BOX V USB - USB WAS SAME PRICE W/ LESS STUFF, AT LEAST THAT WAS ANNOUNCED TOGETHER!!) The horns of my dilemma now are to have to pay the same price for less and no book and no juicy limited ED feeling all b/c their credit card site would not let me through. 'I tried, I tried' with my 'crazy fingers' on the keyboard all over and over 4)They gave me a ticket # Mon morning in case a copy were to pop up, so now I pray that people on the forum who say they canceled their lim ed # order really did do that -- so now by default of the AME version I may get lucky w/ a # copy... HERE I AM, BEGGING FOR SCRAPS AT A PREMIUM PRICE 5) AME is good b/c it may bring down Ebay price on limited ed copies and maybe I can get one if my 'ticket #' gets me nothing. (unlike FW69, which I paid $350 for on ebay, opened, clean 'promo' copy, w/ bonus disc... will never sell it, but original price was like $80?, missed the window and paid big time, having flashbacks now) 6) Apparent deceptive business practices by GDP/Rhino - if it can be proven that this was all planned beforehand... bad bad bad - I don't care about resale value of the lim ed box, just that I get one! If they did this and put customers through this all to make more $, shame on them. 7)Ebay resellers are doing what they do ... shame on them, but I am glad they exist b/c 'down the line' I may get lucky and pick off one w/ scuffs or dents, etc for decent price. W/o them I would be really up the creek in a 'paper canoe.' (Does a paddle come w/ than box set?) In sum, I am not pissed at ebay or even at the AME version announcement, just at GDP/R practices. (Ebay sellers got jammed anyway on devalue via the AME announcement, hee hee hee.) HOWEVER I AM FURIOUS THAT 'THIS SPACE IS GETTING HOT' DUE TO: a) GDP/R flubbed the order checkout process like rookies (they could have staggered it to give people on their EMAIL list an email a day before to pre-order 1-2 COPIES before the public presale) that would have lessened site traffic on release day b) GDP/R was not up front about the AME version coming out c) GDP/R are charging the same price for the AME now that box is gone (a la E72 AME)and couching it in a 'so everyone can get one' BS pitch... We aren't stupid DAVE! d) Ordered the 5LP and CD versions of Cornell in despair when I finally called in ... I was planning on buying LP and box, so they got me there too bc at that time AME was not yet announced, extra $30 I spent on nothing. I may cancel that now. Therefore: I AM DISGUSTED W/ DEAD.NET AND RHINO RIGHT NOW and FEEL LIKE A STRANGER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS OVER THE YEARS ON MUSIC AND GEAR AT DEAD.NET.! I MAY JUST BOYCOTT THEM COMPLETELY AFTER THIS FIASCO,THEY MAY HAVE JUST LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER --- UNLESS MY TICKET # GETS ME A BOX THAT IS :).......... GOOD JOB GDP/R - I AM OFF TO ARCHIVE NOW, HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT!
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

PAYING DUES - My Dick's Picks collection has some holes too, 'tell me where it hurts, and I'll tell you who to call' What are you missing? I do have double copies of some of the Dick's stuff. (not sealed, but in good shape and not the new re-releases either) I also have all the Dave's except 1-4 - (missed that ship somehow.) I am waiting to hear if the 'ticket #' they gave me bears fruit... a fruit not yet ripe and a tree not yet having been shaken ... they said they would email me .. I am still waiting to here from Dr Rhino. They said since it sold out less than an hour before my call and I almost cried on the phone, she added all my info about how much I buy and the 5x trying on Sat. My fingers are crossed although I was not born cross-eyed. keep in touch - I just PM'd you
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

When you are logged in, you see 'Send PM" under each poster's name. That is the way to send them a "private message". In the top right corner of your window you should see a strip of orange-background boxes labeled with your username/chat/recent posts/my shows/my account/logout/order status. Click on "my account" and you will find access to your "inbox" and "sent messages". There is your very own Dead.net email account!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Yes, the sudden announcement of the All-Music Edition reeks of deception.I have said before that I feel GDM is a bad company with a good product. I don't believe that non-profit Live Music Archive can suffice as the primary "go-to" for Dead music in a profit-controlled world, so I feel GDM is needed. Profit is essential to viability in this world, so I accept that GDM needs to profit. History and literature tell us over and over that to realize beautiful dreams in this world ugly realities must be embraced. Because I want the widest possible distribution of Dead music, I heartily endorse GDM's decision to release this All-Music Edition. The "collectible" business model embraced by GDM has allowed for much Dead to be commercially released. That is good. But the model has also attracted and cultivated a community segment that are devoted to "scarcity value" (both as an emotional benefit and a financial benefit). You scarcity folks just took a below-the-belt punch in my opinion. So you are justified in both crying and crying "foul!". But you all should get your scarcity jollies from something else. Dead music is for hearing not for hoarding! This is just my two cents, but I want you all to agree with me!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

well said august west wharf rat about not caring about limited edition or not, i just want what i was told i was getting when the item is offered. jack straw, you can yell all you want......i do make purchases with value in mind. i listen to my GD music as much as anyone on here, and wont sell anything because i love it. if someone offered me 300 bucks for that piece of garbage dicks pics 20 i wouldnt sell, but i like to know its not worth less than when i bought it. enough said........i now remember why i dont come in here anymore. PS some of us like the books,inserts, stickers and #'d versions AND we actually unwrap and listen to the material a thousand times.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

If 'paying dues' can hook me up, that's great - if not I would love your copy w/ dents, dings, and bent pages as resale is not an issue for me and that way I won't have to freak out over breathing on it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If it was any of us who didn't get the numbered edition, would you not be happy to get a new chance? I would ... even if I had to pay the same price as the limited edition ... Micke Östlund Växjö, Sweden
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

What a scam. Sell a "limited edition" set and then when it sells out, sell more. Just because the new ones are not numbered, doesn't make it right.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is not a rant per se, as it's my own fault I missed out on the 'first edition' of this box. I've got out of the habit of checking dead.net more than once a week, and if I check my e-mails twice a week than I'm ahead of the game. In fact, it was only on checking them today that I've seen last week's announcement!!Secondly, I've been fortunate in the past. I got the '69 Fillmore box, but only because a mate was able to let me use his computer when I was between houses, and mine was in storage. Also, I was lucky enough to be one of the last I imagine to get under the wire with the original '72 Europe box set, and these two for me personally will I guess never be equalled or surpassed, unless there are plans for a '68 or '70 big box. I get all the Dave's Picks, but only as I subscribe every year, and take my chances on which shows form part of that year's subscription, accepting that I will not like some as much as others. Some get played to death, some - I admit - get only a couple of plays before being stored away. I bought the full Thirty Trips box set, at the same time as buying the complete Dylan 'Cutting Edge' thing - don't tell my wife - but as with most box sets I buy, I didn't have the time to look in any detail at the book or study the memorabilia. The music I can manage as my day job involves driving for two or three hours each day, which added to the commute gives me enough time to keep up with the listening/playing part. Nevertheless, it's nice to know you have these things, with the thought that I might get time at some point to read the books, study the art work, and look at the memorabilia in the same way as I used to when I used to first buy LPs nearly forty years ago as a teenager. So I'll buy the 'All Music Edition' and hope - without much expectation - that by the time we reach the release date, somebody will have decided to extend the run numbers of the original issue. HOWEVER, I understand fellow subscribers to this site being angry that at the current count seven copies of box are being 'sold' on ebay.com. I don't say at all that this is e-bay's fault, but just that those who buy limited edition items just to make a quick profit, in the same way as those who buy concert tickets for the same reason, should have their ability to do such restricted wherever possible, and by appropriate means. Record Store Day releases seem to be another favourite of these idiots. Sadly, we'll never I guess stop people bidding on or buying this items, although one can but hope. It makes no sense though that of the seven copies of this box being 'sold' on ebay.com currently that three are being sold by one individual and two by another!! These particular individuals also seem to be selling sealed copies of 'Dave's Picks!! So a simple way of reducing this practise would be by limiting the number for purchase to one copy each for an individual by whatever means available. I know that some will complain - there are those I know who like to have two copies, one to play, and one as a 'keeper' - but better I guess that more people are able to buy it who actually want it to keep and listen to it, rather than the situation where many copies are bought just for profit. Anyway, rant over....!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The collector complaint that releasing the AME devalues their already purchased Boxed edition is vexing to me.The Boxed edition IS "collectable". The AME is much less so. People who want to collect the Box Edition will not consider the AME as an alternative. The only time that the value of the Boxed edition would be lessened by the AME's existence is when a potential buyer is NOT looking for a "collectible" but for MUSIC. Forcing people to pay "collector" prices to hear music is legal and shitty. The Boxed edition will hold value within the collector community and that value will not be a barrier to actual music-wanters. This creates a morally superior "secondary market" environment in comparison to one without the AME. Again, I applaud GDM's decision to release the AME. My perfect GDM future sees all major GDM releases done in this two-tier fashion!
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I saw it right after I posted and edited/adjusted, felt like ice cream kid w/ cold juice pouring down my forehead.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

peggy-o? is a folio like what the E72 shows came in? or road trips? or 78 box?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

Digital....... I will speak for myself......don't care for the clutter.......just want the tunes.......as matter of fact a lot of the digital is not available at present time .......what's the story?????Just wanna crank up da computer
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

Well,I was certainly happy, coming late to the game, to get the All Music edition of the complete Europe '72 box, so while I bought the limited of this title, I think it's good they're making it available to those who missed out, in a reduced edition that's music and small liner booklet. For those who care (I don't; I buy because I want these box sets), the original limited release will evaluate in price, so if that's your concern, you needn't worry. Me? I'm glad they're doing it, rather than having people start copying and sharing files (not that, sadly, this won't happen anyway, but still)... So I say: if you sell out and the demand remains, All Music editions allow those who missed out a chance for getting the music, while maintaining the original release's exclusivity.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

if you still believe what they originally said. also, the original limited edition provided a 25 min download form cornell at purchase.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

I get the frustration with feeling duped into buying ' right now ' to get the limited ed box set then seeing that they have plenty more to release. At the same time it's nice for those who couldn't order in time to have an opportunity to get an officially released set of these shows. What exactly is the difference, aside from the limited number printed on the back, between the AME and original box set?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I notice that there are people who were initially unable to get the limited run version when the sight first crashed about a half-hour after the announcement, then were livid that they didn't make enough copies to satisfy the demand, were ultimately able to get copies of the "limited edition" when the sight was fixed, only to turn around and complain that an "all music edition" was made available for everybody to get one who wants one because it cuts into their resale/collectible value. I say, be happy it's available and everybody who wants one can get one and enjoy the music. If you bought extra copies as "investments", that's the risk you took.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I bought this, as I do the majority of GD releases. Not sure why people are upset...I would much rather pay $40 per show to listen to these forever versus paying $200+ per ticket to see what is essentially a cover band playing Dead tunes at the Hollywood Bowl. (Honestly, would anyone pay to see any of their favorite bands if it were only the drummer and rhythm guitarist!)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

I'm with you about limiting these limited edition boxes to one/customer, to try and cut back on folks who just buy to resell at a higher price.this music belongs in the hands of those who appreciate it and want it for what it is....not for what financial gain it might represent.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I see your point deadmike, but I AM one of those who DID NOT get Numbered ed and I AM NOT happy. I got screwed on the order process even though I was on top of it from day 1 (I should have called them instead of trusting online! dumb me)If I could have gotten my online order processed, I would have the book and all the goodies, so 1 day later I pay THE SAME PRICE for the shows only! Just not fair. If it were $99 for the all music ed, it would be in my cart now. As it is I am holding out for a box w/ book and extra goodies... besides, if I want all music ed, I can just burn a copy from one of my many local friends who did get through. The point is that I am willing to a pay a premium for premium product, not for half a box... I can drool over my buddies' boxes when I visit .. at least I have that ...
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I think 2-3 copies per order is fair. 20 copy limit per order is obscene (of course people can always make multiple orders to get around it)2-3 copies per order and per credit card could help people like me from getting shut out -
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Yeah I tried to but the set on day 1 only to be denied even though I got a receipt from PayPal, it eventually dropped off. So frantically bought the cornell show yesterday when they announced it had sold out just so I would get something and now I guess i can cancel my purchase and buy the all the shows. Give me break. Get your act together Dead.net. Hah thats a funny one, deadheads with their act together
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Yeah I tried to but the set on day 1 only to be denied even though I got a receipt from PayPal, it eventually dropped off. So frantically bought the cornell show yesterday when they announced it had sold out just so I would get something and now I guess i can cancel my purchase and buy the all the shows. Give me break. Get your act together Dead.net. Hah thats a funny one, deadheads with their act together
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Within the collectors' universe, the all music edition should have ZERO impact on the value of the original box. That's how it's always been with records, comics and just about anything else. Look at the value of the Beatles cover before and after reissue. Also, someone mentioned there's 7 boxes up on Ebay, and 5 sold for a toal of 12. That's about .08% of the 15,000.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

It really is nothing more than a cash grab. All shows were available on the archive until it dawned on someone they could make money off these recordings. Well plenty of money has been made and continues to keep rolling in. I feel stupid for jumping on the GET SHOWN THE LIGHT box set. Why? I have CDR versions I downloaded from the archive, I spent five hours stressed out clicking furiously to order the damn thing, I didn't need to drop $150, I got a corrupt download of the "single", I got a lame email apology, and now finally my limited edition isn't really very limited at all. To be clear I am not a collector, but felt as if I might be getting something special though 15,000 isn't really very exclusive. Now I find I could have just chilled and waited it out and still got the music. Can you say CASH GRAB? Well now I have seen the light. And I can tell you this is my last purchase via dead.net. Peace y'all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

yesterday sunday still had "less than 500 available" ribbon, and initial ordering snafu was cleared up relatively quickly, certainly by friday if not sooner via the links to rhino posted here.further, i became aware of this via email notice to me, not the site itself. i am glad august still has a chance now, but not really very sympathetic to all his improper payment method, family business excuses, and he of all people should be grateful for the all music edition. probably rhino will offer him an unnumbered original limited version. curious as to how he'll react then.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

If you think buying Grateful Dead Numbered Edition box sets will be a good investment for your kids some day I think your exactly the fool that Rhino intended to seek out when the whole numbered editions were created over ten years ago. Take a look on ebay and compare Dicks Picks vs. Dave's Picks prices. Dave's picks cds go for over 4 to 5 or more times the price of Dick's. Why? Is the quality of the shows better? Hardly. Simply a MARKETING ploy of adding a few numbers on the back of an item allows the buyer a feeling of exclusivity and a rush to purchase or else..
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html