• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

That list is neither a complete list of her recordings nor of the tapes lost in the auction sale. I believe that is a list of auctioned tapes that made it into circulation. For example, we know that the last half of the May tour was not in the auction stash and remained in the vault and are Betty's recordings but not on the list. We also know that there were tapes in the auction but didn't circulate and also are not on the list such as the 7/1,3,5/78 tapes that came out last year. I have always hoped 6/4/77 and 11/29/80 were in the auction stash but not circulated. Dave dashed my hopes about 6/4/77 in the current seaside chat on this release but the question remains: WHAT ABOUT GAINESVILLE!!!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Hey, I'm no lawyer, but the statement that was quoted pertains to the box set only. It does not seem to preclude making making the individual full shows available as separately purchased CDs or digital downloads. Apply the Plangent process and you are creating a different product. Whether or not they think this is worth their effort--and it may not be--is another question. "Fillmore West 1969-The Complete Recordings is a LIMITED EDITION. Each box set will be individually numbered out of 10,000, and there will be no second pressings or reprints. Once they're gone, they're gone for good."
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

That list is incomplete and based on the WBOTB DAT trees, I know because it's my list, well I'm the one that typed it in to a webpage from a printout, and why I called it known Betty Boards.It's been cut & pasted from the day I typed it in. There is also a list of the uncirculating shows but it's a couple jpgs of handwritten notes and I didn't bother typing it in. the original heading was. This is a list of all known "Betty boards" as posted on Terrapin Station BBS in Darion CT (no longer on-line). Betty Cantor-Jackson Soundboards <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>> it doesn't even include the WBOTB DAT tree info of reel info, dbx and other data. The list only contains the Betty's that made it into circulation by the people who returned the Betty's recently. The List does not include any Betty's being held ransom by the douche bag in the Relix article. That being said how about some speculation. ABCD Enterprises is the new "Vault" set up as a LLC and Rhino distributes the product from ABCD Enterprises LLC under license and not GDP directly. To Paraphrase Daffy Duck Rhino is having a semantics problem. The New box has 3 versions, a digital, a standard and a super deluxe version. I see the Super Deluxe version more like the bonus disks they used to add to early preorders but with out giving away any more from the Vault for free. The CDs cost the same but the first 10,000 got something extra. The WMG store experience was sort of like being roofied. The pay downloads will come online when LMA SBDs go offline. Could Gainsville be some sort of record release? Isn't record store day in April?
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I see your point Seth on the box price, but anyone who ordered the 'bells and whistles' version could quickly and easily cancel that order (opening it up for those who missed out)and order the cheaper stripped down version since it doesn't come out until 5/5/17. As for Betty, I don't see her getting a penny of our money. Maybe we should start a go fundme for her? she got so screwed after the break up, they dropped her like a brick. Heads love her and she was a genius, the best tapes are from her hard work.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...preach it brother. Good to see you adding-in your expertise across the decades and offering a little (if perhaps unnerving) speculation regarding a potential fate of the archive sbds.... here's to hoping things don't stray too far off the currently traveled path. I suppose ABCD will have the final say in that alphabet soup. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Right on KG. Great to have primary information being displayed here. What a resource and thanks for the straight dope. I'd be surprised if I haven't copied and pasted that same list myself at some point. Reminds of that episode in the original 1952 season of Marvel's The Adventures of Superman when Louis Lane shrieks, "Help... only an archivist can save us now!"
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I had to go deep to find it, but i always thought this was a far more interesting list and was from the people that allowed the tapes to be circulated and now have returned them to the vault. Note the last 5 DATs :) The original DAT WBOTB by tape # Each tape is a 90 meter tape as follows: Tape #1 - 2 18 71 all xx xx 69 Pigpen solo project outtakes (2 songs) Tape #2 - 2 19 71 all Tape #3 - 2 20 71 all Tape #4 - 2 21 71 all Tape #5 - 2 23 71 all Tape #6 - 2 24 71 all Tape #7 - 4 5 71 all Tape #8 - 4 6 71 all Tape #9 - 4 7 71 all 8 xx 73 Wake of the Flood outtakes Tape #10 - 4 8 71 all Tape #11 - 12 14 71 all Tape #12 - 5 7 72 2b (x)Other ... Encore: One More Sat. Night 4 22 79 2p (x)He's Gone ... Around and Around(x) 00 00 77 Terrapin Station dub of master reel 8 27 72 3b Sugar Magnolia ... One More Sat. Night Tape #13 - 8 21 72 1b,2 1b=(x)Casey Jones, 2=all 8 22 72 2a Brown Eyed Women ... Hey Bo Diddley(x) Tape #14 - 8 22 72 2b NFA ... NFA(x) 8 25 72 all 6 22 73 2p He's Gone ... Other One(x) 6 14 76 2b Help on the Way ... Encore: US Blues Tape #15 - 8 27 72 1,2,3p 1,2=all 3p=Dark Star ... Sugar Magnolia(x) Tape #16 - 3 16 73 1,2p 1=all, 2p=(x)Morning Dew ... Encore: Sugar Magnolia Tape #17 - 3 21 73 1,2p 1=all, 2p=Greatest Story ... Me and Bobby McGee Tape #18 - 3 21 73 2p WRS ... Encore: Casey Jones 3 28 73 2p WRS ... Encore: Johnny B. Goode Tape #19 - 3 22 73 1,2p 1=all, 2p=(x)Other One ... Encore: One More Sat. Night 10 9 80 e1p Feel Like A Stranger ... Brown Eyed Women(x) Tape #20 - 3 24 73 1p,2 1p=(x)HCS ... Playin', 2=all Tape #21 - 5 26 73 1,2 1,2=all Tape #22 - 5 26 73 3 3=all 5 4 72 1p 1p=(x)Greatest Story ... Two Souls in Communion Tape #23 - 6 22 73 1,2p 1=all, 2p=HCS ... Big RR Blues Tape #24 - 6 15 76 all Tape #25 - 6 29 76 all 6 29 76 p p=interleave reel parts for reel flips Tape #26 - 2 26 77 all Tape #27 - 5 5 77 all Tape #28 - 5 7 77 1,2 1,2=Bertha ... Around and Around Tape #29 - 5 8 77 all Tape #30 - 5 9 77 all
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My attempt at answering some BB questions that came up - all just my best attempts: Brian 0051 - I think the answer to the 5/4/72 question is that they used the 16-track recording for the official release; the BB would be a 2-track that she made separately (?). Red Rocks 78 were indeed from the returned stash, that was announced when the July 78 Box came out (and is why we were all expecting a Cornell release this year). Wadeocu - I think the 7/1, 7/3, and 7/5 1978 shows were already in the Vault, which is why they would not have circulated in SBD. The Red Rocks shows circulated, ironically, because they were missing form the Vault and were thus able to be circulated by traders. Ah, 6/4/77, which I think might be my favorite of the year (I'd be more certain if it were a SBD) - but alas, Dave has said that it was never recorded in SBD at all. Luckily it was recorded in AUD, and the show is freaking amazing - but the SBD just doesn't exist and never will. Cool list KG, thanks for sharing (are you saying that the list used by Relix was copied from yours? That's pretty awesome. Dennis - YES to a Port Chester 71 Box. Forget Gainesville, WHAT ABOUT ALASKA? hehehe.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That's just exactly, perfectly beautiful.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I don't believe 7/1, 7/3 and 7/5 were in the vault. I bet if they were.. Dick would have leaked em.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Yes that is my data entry, it's every where, but comes from a much larger page of foot notes for the WBOTB project I did when the internet ran on tubes and people traded by the mail on CDs and eventually HDs. I just did a quick search and there are over 50,000 references to the same BBS list. here's a more complete one. http://www.taperssection.com/reference/html/NFO_WBOTB/bettyall.htm I can tell it's from my site because it has a dead link to my 11/6/77 info page on the same site. The original copy came from one of those green and white dot matrix printer scrolls I printed on my Atari 600 in the late 80s. This was what I typed into Frontpage 98 and created the WBOTB footnote project for a then running CD tree from the DATs. I did a lot of data entry of what now is considered cut & paste content for others. Those text files didn't write themselves, standardizing format for file naming so it's uniform enough to put into a system like LMA. I was one of many volunteers that did data entry, but that Betty Boards list is my data entry and out of context now the site it was originally on is no longer active. Neither is my fondness for those time release adderall 30s that inspired the site. It's nice to know it's considered as highly as it is, Somebody had to do it and it turned out to be me ;)
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Brought a tear to Sixtus' eye. I shit you not. That's powerful stuff. And immediately brought me back to the first time I saw them play that, when I actually listened to the lyrics....like, LISTENED....and they insidiously gripped me like an iron fist and rattled my emotions straight to the abyss.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

They are capitalists... they feel no shame.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In his video for the July '78 box Dave clearly explained that none of the master tapes had been in the vault, and they'd only recently been acquired through extended negotiations with the tape holders. In 1987 one of the three tape holders allowed theirs to be copied and put into circulation among traders, until the band found out and asked them to stop. 7/7 and 7/8 were among that batch, with 7/7 missing one channel in the rush to copy as many as possible. Soundboard tapes of 7/1, 7/3, and 7/5 were not known to exist, presumably because they were possessed by the other tape holders, which is why the box was a big deal. It's not yet been made public what tapes were possessed by the other two parties, or what tapes from the first never made it into circulation, but are now all back in the vault.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Brian, Trent S. from California here,I think i picked up a large portion of my DP 1st editions from you last spring. Been listening to these over and over again since I got them. Thank you for making them available. also appreciate the info you shared about the difference between the GDP and RGM editions, as ive been wondering myself. its exciting to see you in the comments here!
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

my first time commenting..i am always impatient waiting for release days. especially so for this box. have to spend the the next few months getting emotionally prepared ,,
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

There has been some discussions, on this site, about SACD discs. Are they better sounding than just regular cds? Yes! I bought a used OPPO dvd/cd player just for my SACD dead discs. Listening to SACD on my OPPO and then on my regular cd player it did sound better to my aging ears.If you are in the market for a new 4k dvd player check out the OPPO UPD-203 player. It is an amazing piece of equipment. A little expensive but the quality of this player is...excellent! If you read reviews on OPPO products you will see that they always are rated as one of the best regardless of cost. I "rarely" recommend things to people but I highly recommend OPPO products. I have had them since the first showed up and have never had an issue with them. If you can find a good used OPPO dvd/cd player on Ebay you might want to consider it. If you just listen to things on your iPod/phone then this is may not be your cup of tea! Mr. Pete--------------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey treeman - welcome! Jim, that is a good point about the 7/1 -7/5 78 shows (at the very least that KC show would have gotten released somehow, what a monster show). Highthyme, I wasn't trying to lay some alternative facts on anyone. That is why I prefaced my message with "this is my best attempt" and said "I think" the early July shows were in the vault. Thank you for the reminder that they were held by other stakeholders - I would love to learn more about that whole story...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Just got an "order cancelled" email because funds were not available which is absolute BS because the I paid through PayPal and those funds were deducted without issues a day later. Ironically, it is an order I placed with GDS and not Rhino as I was able to get in before the chaos.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

mugsie- that sucks! I would send a note to marye, and also dr. Rhino. rather than trying for customer service. I emailed customer service four days ago - my credit card co. sent me a new one two days after I ordered this box. I wrote them to ask if need to worry about having a new exp date (I will have to call because nobody every replies to their CS email). Highthyme, don't worry, I'm not going to go all Sean Spicer on you... Thanks for the remnder about the July 78 Seaside Chat - I just rewatched it over my morning coffee. The fact that the early July shows were included with the returned 7th and 8th shows and it was a surprise to Dave, to me means there could be other shows lurking in the stash that aren't on "The List." Anyway, it's a comforting thought. Or course, now that I've watched that video, I feel the need to re-listen to July 78. D'oh. Hey cbgd, let us know what you think of that once you get it - you won't regret it! Now what I'm praying for is that someone will tell me I'm wrong about 6/4/77, that it WAS recorded on SBD, and it's being released as a standalone release on 6/4/17.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Dont really know how but Id never stumbled across 6/4/77 so when it was mentioned below I immediately went and checked it out. Fantastic second set and the whole ending sequence just has some really amazing transitions and unique playjng. Thanks for the heads up on this one, lets hope its either Daves 23 or 24!! Heres the audience tape off archive after a rougher sounding start it smooths out quite nicely...https://archive.org/details/gd77-06-04.bertrando.goodbear.3417.sbeok.sh…
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

when you said.......... They are capitalists... they feel no shame.I hope you are talking more about perceived morality and ethics. Simple labels like he's a "capitalist" don't mean much. Rather its how you conduct business, right? I find it sad how we can label and call people an enemy so easily today. Its more Us against Them than I can remember in a long long time. While we may not personally agree with someone else's conduct, the old rule of "Judge not lest ye be judged" is a good caveat to keep in mind perhaps. * this comment of course meant in peace!
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

While I've never been there to confirm what's in the Vault, but according to Etree 6/4 and 4/26 are the 2 1977 shows that have never circulated as SBD.
user picture

Member for

8 years

Is the status of everyones order still "pending"? Im just wondering if by now they should say Processing or something... Ive had the Warner Music Group test charge go through and be returned on my credit card
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yo buddy... good to see you.thanks for the comments. remember to always contact me direct, I'll discount stuff for you. lovin' the tunes. -b
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Was Superman upset about Lois' sex change operation? Louis Lane? I live on Louis Drive!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

My card was charged as well and order is pending.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

not an audophile, but if anyone in layman's terms can explain:how much better is the audio remastering equipment the GD/Rhino has, than the stuff Charlie Miller et al from the archive, bt etree etc etc etc have to upgrade the sound of master tapes?The quality of 5/5/77-5/9/77 sounds pretty great already. I just wonder how much more technology is available if any than what the general public tape trader guys generally have.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

MIne showed up on AMEX as pending, then disappeared. I called AMEX and they said it's cleared for whenever Rhino decides to actually charge the account. Most importantly, the order is still in there. Under "my orders" on the rhino site, it shows as "pending" and "not shipped." I suspect it'll stay that way til mid-April at the earliest, or whenever they actually charge my card. I have to say, the rhino pre-order set-up is almost completely different from other sites, specifically Amazon, where they don't do anything with cards until they ship the item. The rhino site FAQ page explains all of this, but it still seems a bit odd.Just a bit more anxiety for those who need some. I have noticed the last 2 Daves actually arrived prior to the release date, so maybe some aspects of the retail operation are improving. Here's hoping....
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

After having the $$$ taken out of my checking since Thursday 2/16, I was notified via email today that Rhino CANCELED my pre-order of the limited edition set bc my bank would not authorize the transaction. I think (hope!) it's a glitch on their end bc the transaction originally went through. I was waiting for the charge to "fall off" my account but not this way. Customer Service at dead.net escalated the issue to Rhino but I am very nervous. Not a big fan of this new setup!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I also had the money taken out of my credit card since Thursday 2/16, I was notified via email today that Rhino CANCELED my pre-order because they attempted to confirm funds from your credit card, but the request was declined and any outstanding items on your orders were cancelled. It also states: Please note that at the time of purchase we authorize your credit card to verify funds are available, and for preorders, some banks require the authorization to occur every 7 days. These are NOT charges, and the authorization is removed from the account quickly. However if the authorization attempt comes back declined, the open order items are cancelled. If you are interested in re-ordering with a different payment method, please go directly to the store. I too also called Customer Service at dead.net escalated the issue to Rhino. And I also called Matt at Rhino and left a message. This SUCKS.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey all-Apologies if the information is right in front of me and I'm just not seeing it- Besides the artwork what is missing from the AME? Are there any bonus discs or tracks that are missing from the limited edition? Thanks
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Been seeing all the comments on whether the "Werewolf" show (7-8-78, Bobby wore a werewolf mask during the encore!) was previously in the vault and how some good SB's surfaced over the years. My buddy and I saw an Italian made bootleg CD labeled from "Red Robin Records" in a record store back in 1995, and he had the $69.95 to buy it! Quite a lot of money in those days for one show. It was certainly better than what I had on tape although it did have the tape flip gaps. That always was a tough tape to get in the day but even harder were (and still are Dave!) the very next shows on 8-30,31 1978 when the band showed their love of Red Rocks by returning to our Colorado Valhala right after recording Shakedown Street. Still two of the most precise and perfect shows ever in my opinion but lacking the spontaneous energy of the "high" the band was on in July. That return visit was virtually unannounced and since this was the mail order ticket era Red Rocks was only two thirds full and maybe the dedicated tapers just weren't there. Anyone else buy that bootleg from Italy?
user picture

Member for

9 years

All the music would be the same in this version. Out side of pretty packaging and a book, that is available on other outlets. I am wondering what will be different. I know with the E72 AME you got none of the extras, but since the book is available in other places I wonder what the difference would be.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Just to confuse the issue more, I have a pending charge on my cc from the original oush over to Rhino. I thought it would disappear as usual and ive been watching for it. However as of an hour ago I have an additional pending charge for $0 and then another new pending charge for the price of box set. I only ordered one and have a receipt for one. So, now have 3 charges on my card totalling the price of two boxes. They messed up big so stay patient and it should get straightened out at some point. Hopefully.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

After an initial deduction from my account on 2/16 for the box set, the charge shifted to "pending" for each day since. Called Dead.Net yesterday for clarification and they explained that the amount is simply a "hold" for the purchase, which will clear after a few days (up to seven). The actual charge will happen before the order ships on May 5th. Now, what kind of Cracker Jack logic they're using, I don't know. But there it is. Guess I shouldn't be surprised though since this entire release has been one long strange trip so far...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

are you all talking about credit cards or debit cards there is a big difference. paypal is usually 100 percent but with these guys who knows.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I ordered the limited edition box just after it was announced. I had to pay using PayPal (with my credit card, not my bank account) as there was no field for entering my cardholder's name when I tried to pay directly with my credit card. The charge appeared on my credit card account pretty quickly and has remained ever since, so I have paid for it now rather than at release/ship time. My order status has been "Processing" since day one and remains that way now.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Decided to cancel my pre order for the limitied edition. Just can't take a chance of not being able to pay a bill because the previous pre-authorizations have not cleared before the new ones are deducted. Warner / Dead.net has already tied up over $320.00 in my account. At least it's not that big of a deal now that there is an AME available.Maybe try running pre-authorizations every 14 days instead of 7?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

It took me 7 hours to get my order through on the first day, and I did, even downloaded the "single".... today Rhino cancelled my order. I don't understand why they wouldn't contact us, like other businesses do, to get an alternate form of payment. I called dead.net and they're sending an escalation to Warner's. An unhappy event from start to finish, it seems.
user picture

Member for

8 years

Simonrob- Youre the first ive heard who has their status as processing... im still on pending. Im just really hoping I dont get an email stating that the order was cancelled. Although after seeing the test charge go through and come back without a hitch, I think its all good. Midwaykid- I was referring to credit cards, not debit.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

How about when we buy these things,you act like we bought something and take the money then.You know,like every other transaction that transpires with companys who have some idea of how to sell things. Just an idea.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

Found this on the Customer Service FAQ page. Outlines their payment policy for pre-orders: "Please be aware that you will need to keep an available balance to cover your purchase until the time of release, which in some cases can be many weeks. Should we not be able to obtain a valid reauthorization on a weekly basis, your order will be cancelled and you will be notified. If you still want the order after receiving a cancelation notification, you will need to place your order again with an available balance if the product is still available. Please note that we will not be able to reinstate your original order after it is canceled. If you would like to avoid this reauthorization process, we suggest you use PayPal as your method of payment." Here's the fuckery: "Should we not be able to obtain a valid reauthorization on a WEEKLY basis, your order will be CANCELLED and you will be notified. If you still want the order after receiving a cancelation notification, you will need to place your order again with an available balance IF the product is still available." Yeah. Read that sobering paragraph a few times. Now, let's say you used your debit card and, as part of their FRAUD PROTECTION policy, your bank flags all of these pending authorizations as potential FRAUD. Because, frankly, from their perspective it does look suspect. Warner can't authorize, order gets cancelled, fuck you very much for your business. What baboon on crack is running this operation?
user picture

Member for

8 years

Holy shit... that is some fuckery. I usually use a credit card for pre orders (including this one), wouldve been pissed if they pulled this on me, like ive seen multiple other people go through. The whole fraud protection thing is a very good point- most banks are no doubt going to flag that shit if its a weekly thing, wow. Kinda flabbergasted about that policy Edit: would banks view the weekly authorization differently under credit vs. debit? i.e they dont flag weekly authorizations like this if its a credit card? Perhaps it varies from bank to bank? I dont recall seeing charges for the Daves Picks subscription
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Yes, I'm experiencing this too, but so far, my order has not been canceled. Originally had a pending charge last Thursday. Disappeared by Sunday, and now I have both a positive and negative pending charge. Super weird. I hope my card does not bounce this because it looks so weird. What's up with the negative pending charge? I'd love if for Warner Music to pay me for this box!
user picture

Member for

8 years

That charge is the test transaction i believe, they were just 'making sure' that you had the funds available in the account to complete the order. I guess theyre going to be doing this test transaction every week until the release date, which in my mind sounds absolutely ridiculous... but oh well, i guess thats one reason to always put it on a credit card. Correct me if im wrong
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html