• 7,839 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

• Oroborous

Just every now and then from time to time…
    Some shows are just so good it’s worth it, unless some Jack ass is screaming dumb shit right next to the mics all night lol

• DeadVikes

Pretty sweet BB, front row center in April 81 and with the future Misses. Prime time Dead in my opinion.

OB, I don't mind an audience recording if it sounds good, just can't take the ones that sound terrible. Spent the first part of my Dead journey listening to a lot of bad tapes, which I am sure you can relate to. Anyway, yes, I am dipping my toes in those May 79 shows per your recommendation. Thanks Man.

• TN John

On the anniversary Big B!
    Peace

• Oroborous

Did we lose ya in the frozen Midwest lol?

And now DV I know you don’t like Auds, but you’ll like those 79s!
    Onward!

• Oroborous

My last trip 5 6 84 thru 6 14 84
    HN edited. all mostly good, usual 84 opsies etc, mostly good boards,
    None of the Hults stood out, liked the weirdness last night.
    Cal X a little better, probably. Red Rocks was definitely my best overall, especially enjoyed the second night. Last is fun but more sloppy…

Been hitting 77: 4 25 30 and now 5 1 prepping for 50 next.
    Maybe 69 next?

• Oroborous

Original Oro,
    I needed that!

Congrats to the Bigs
    The family that burritos together…

• Oroboros

"Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio."

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Got email from amazon about the expanded Shakedown Street. Found this description. This might have been here before.

Following the Dead's early Warner Bros. LP's and their evolution from a San Francisco hippie phenomenon to one of the biggest bands on the planet, these five album masterpieces chronicle the creatively expansive portion of their long, strange, and amazing trip beginning in 1873 when they launchd their own label. Rhino's remastered & expanded editions celebrate the Dead's immortal music with state-of-the-art sonics and a wealth of fresh-from-the-archives bonus rarities.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Good to hear from ya, we were/are worried.
Hopefully things are as well as can be in da DV crib?

Have to go down to the flatlands today—(first time past the divide in almost 2 years)— so 4/2/89 will cover half the trip! I’ll try and recall what little I can and report back tonight or tomorrow.

DENNIS: Nice get up, every girl crazy bout that sharp dressed man!
Yer only as old as the girl ya feel…
But “ I can tell your future….” except, what exactly is that in your hand?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

is a fine piece of Hoss glass. This marvelous milk pink 18" tall beaker bong was bought direct from Hoss. They have a blowout page on their site. Great deals for thing that have slight defect. That one has a minor scratch in the name label. Got it for 60 bucks!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks for checking OB.

We are moving in the right direction out here. Hopefully we can put this behind us soon.
Have not cued up BP.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The go to campground for Alpine Valley Shows.

(just had to fit that one in)

Or Bolo might not give us another chance.

So.. senor Bolo.. could we perhaps pick a new show and have a do-over? We cannot promise not to cheat, but we can at least pretend to try harder.

How about it...?

Or was it the fact that we used the word Bong that silenced the thread.. in my defense, Richard Bong was a WWII hero, perhaps the most decorated US combat flier. So what if he sparked up before each mission.. :D

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Who has a pick out there today?

The two shows from the Igloo from Download Series #9 are highly recommended. Great April 89 shows.

Looking back, seems like a lifetime ago.
I miss those days.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I thought so, but couldn’t be sure that it wasn’t some kinda feminine enjoyment product ; )

89 Burg shows. Quite the blur DV? I remember I went with Mr Bellman, lead guitar for the Wild Knights, perhaps the best Dead band ya never heard of. I had just started a new job and really needed the bread after not working all fall and still paying for the fall 88 Florida shows/trip etc, so had zero time off.
So had to pull the old get up, find a quiet pay phone and call in well to work routine, “cough, cough, sorry Louie, not feeling to well” LOL.
Yeah, I liked working there and needed the job at the time, but boy I missed some good shows that year because of it.
I’m pretty sure it was GA on the floor? I think we were up sorta up close on the Phil side, but I’m not sure?
Remember something about the Blow Away, but not much specific about the shows?
Remember we liked the shows and felt like the band were continuing their forward momentum that would peak by the next spring, but didn’t think they were mind blowing? I think I recall liking the second show better? I’ll have to give that one another listen. Started to but lost my wallet on my trek to the flatlands Tuesday, so had to abort tunes yesterday.

Been digging 41 lately but definitely up for something else? How’s bout 4/14/82? Not sure if it’s any good, but I almost went to it and have always wondered?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Absolutely, let's do it. Another Lost in space year for releases with a few past exceptions.

Hey Oroborous, at least you can remember parts of your time at these shows. Yes, the 4/3/89 show is a good one as well. Hope you found your wallet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I ment 4/14/82 Glens Falls. Yep, wanna try and hit some 82 this year.
Anyone have any good suggestions I’ll write em down and work one in now and again.
NOTE: already checked out the awesome Greeks!

No wallet, major stress/hassle…long story, I’m a idiot!
I thought I’d learned not to set things atop of the car when I was seventeen and drove off with my guitar on top!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I love that show. Especially the recording with the 'Hey, don't F'in touch my levels' at the beginning.

Back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress... :-)

4/14/82, preferred sources? I'll tune in...

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, 4/14/82 works as well, Glenn Falls. I think 4/12 is worth a listen at some point as well.

That is a bummer about your wallet OB. Hope it wasn't stuffed with lots of cash.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

is decent, haven’t heard the 11th yet. We’ll have to tag those at some point.

WTJ: 7/28/82 Noted, on the list already, was hoping to check that whole Rocks run at some point.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, $500: my weed and on call payoff money, fuuuuuuuuuddddddggggggggeeeee, only I didn’t say fudge!
Nobody had hit my CC over 24 hours later so perhaps some kind soul will return…but I ain’t holding my breath.
C’est la vie

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fingers firmly crossed for you. Similar thing happened to me last year and an honest individual returned it to me. Left it on top of the car after paying park admission, forgot I did so and drove off. No, I wasn't at Bong. It was Rocky Arbor in the Dells. Positive vibes flowing your way.

P.S. -edit- And we should hasten to recall what happened to Jim, his brother and the 'lost in the snow' debacle. Thankfully, that ended well. Good luck, OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

“How many of you been late to a rock & roll concert before”

Decent show, went with the only SB, but think I might of liked an aud better as the occasional less than perfect moments are accentuated by the formatt. Or maybe just more aware of such after the 77 perfection lol.
Perhaps JGs vocals are a tad out front? Crazy how well you can hear Bobs guitar.

Moments felt somewhat like an 83, not full on rail riding, but a tad more manic than I’m used to from 82. But that’s why we need to go deeper in 82! Still relatively uncharted for this ole dog. Really dug the jammy/spacey PITB parts. Remember the one we saw on 4/8 was pretty sweet. And hey, no Cumberland but it does have a rare electric Deep Elem!

Not exactly sure why I didn’t go? Milton Wilkelberry Steamer the 3rd was going so I had a ride, and I probably could of scraped out the cash for a ticket, which back then in these types of places you could usually score fairly easy, hell, be surprised if it sold out? But we had been planning on the 8 and 9, and in those days I was still pretty young and not loose enough yet to just go for it. I’m guessing the main reason was work. I was a roadie and probably had a hard time getting the Friday for the Crotchfester on the 9th? Not sure, looking back now of course it’s easy to second guess. If I had the John Deere…

Thanks WTJ, I’ll take all the help I can get! Could use a dose of something positive from humanity these days.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!!

Pick of the day: Fillmore East 2/11/69

Masquerading as “the warm-up band”, the Dead played two short, sharp shots of psychedelia opening for Janis Joplin. Condensed big jams, greasy Pigpen, Mountains Of The Moon (love that song!), Caution. Need I say more? Oh yes, Hey Jude, does that call for an LOL???

However you slice it, a very interesting look at the band just prior to the classic Fillmore West Live/Dead shows of February/March 1969.

Hard to believe it’s been over 24 years since its official release in October 1997. Has it been sitting on your shelf all this time? Fellow rockers, dust it off, cue it up and enjoy!!!

Doc
I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process……

Easy to forget that one-but a joy nonetheless. Because they were the nominal support group on this date , they were playing with time constraints, which gives the sets a slightly different context. Whatever- both cds are superb.

Curious that some archival releases are now older than the shows were, when those shows were originally released on cd. It's not quite the case with this one - but One From The Vaults, from 1975, for example, was first released about 30 years ago - when the actual show was only about 18 years old. I guess as time passes people will become more nostalgic about the release of recordings than they do about the actual shows. A bit like how I feel about records that were released, and which I bought, in the 1970s. Eeee, I remember the time...

Another fine 82 show OB. Thanks for the pick.
Really good recording. Fun first set with good variety and a deep elem blues.
The China Rider to open the second set is outstanding! I won't rank it, but it moves me. Nice Playing and later we get a solid Black Peter. Give this one a whirl.

82 has a lot of offer.

Hope that wallet turns up OB.

Okay, on to 2/11/69 from the good doctor

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Made a copy of my friend’s CD’s in the late 90’s, then bought my own copy in the early 2000’s.
I’ll give it a play tonight.

Ordered a ‘new’ vinyl version a few years ago on Amazon. When it showed up it wasn’t factory sealed and had a bunch of scratches. I promptly returned it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....I. don't see that date. On relisten.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

You have to listen to it first before you can listen to it on relisten.

Yea, this show is not on the archive for some reason and since relisten leans on the archive.. it's not going to show up there. You can still buy the official release Live at the Fillmore East 2-11-69 at amazon or reach out to a friend.

Edit: They played a good bit of this on Today in GD History. I will be honest; this was always an odd ball release for me. I guess doc is right, they were the warmup band and didn't have complete freedom to set the adventure that awaits the sometimes tripping but always experienced audience. Just a couple sentences that clarifies my show funk on this, and now it makes perfect sense. All is good with the world. (well, almost.. )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

It has been awhile.
First show seemed more ragged than I remember, but the Hey Jude didn’t seem as bad as I remember?
Memory…lol
Always dig a Cryptical, and haven’t heard a Doin that Rag in fo ever.
Made me remember Phil shows and how he broke out so much of that awesome old school material many of us craved, yet never got to see the Dead do. Thanks Phil!
Second show seemed tighter to me, I guess they usually do.
Really dug the Duprees and Mountain’s. I wanna know how JG switches from acoustic to electric in under 60 seconds, those guys couldn’t do anything fast back then lol. But sweet transition anyway from Mnts, to DS!
And a 69 suite..nuff said!
Ok Caution, etc.
Era comparatively, I’d call these decent. Pretty crazy to compare to just a few weeks later, but like Doc said, perhaps the whole Bill G short/multiple show BS?

This got me so primaled up, I hit 2/14/68, a recent acquisition (FINALLY!) thanks to the Real Gone folks!
As great as this show is, it’s interesting to compare to the 69 stuff only a year later.
So the Spanish jam put me in mind of 6/22/83, a personal 83 fav! (the show that is) So hit the great second set. “Maybe ya want a radioactive volcano in yer back yard” into the version of Bucket that made us familiar with that one. We were calling it a Elegant Pride as we didn’t know better!
The 6/22 Spanish Jam version starts a little hazy but builds to some nice spacey/special parts, but the catalyst for my memory thereof is that it was the first one that made me “know” it. Meaning, I probably had heard on some old tapes, but didn’t know what it was until hearing it enough to go, hmmm, what is that, it sounds familiar. Yet another of the cool things that Dead music brings, enlightenment. How many paths to how many other things, people, places, music etc have you been turned on to via the Dead? Moma, moma, many worlds I’ve come…

Anyways, enjoyed the pick, and dipping into a different era. Still kinda burnt I guess, but can’t stick in one era too much currently. Doesn’t matter which era, just need to keep jumping around or else I end up not listening to dead? Weird?
Guess that’s the great part of having thirty years to choose from, there’s always something to dig, cause hey, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes yer just nuts! ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, looking at 9/2/79 from Augusta for today. Let me know.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Buckle in, that is a fun show with unique versions of many songs including a weir'd Minglewood. :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Rollin!

DV, how’s the fam damily doin?

EDIT: Yassss, fun lil show. Cool first, dug the Samson, for whatever reason I prefer post early Samsons?
Cool second set Ramble On, only the sixth I believe since the hiatus. Funny they used to do it almost exclusively in the second set pre hiatus. Less, but unusual placement of LIG. not much of a drums/space, decent Stella, cept think Jer Bear mixed some lyrics up. Wouldn’t have noticed if I wasn’t paying attention lol.
Then not sure what happens in Trucking, after “up to Buffalo” it sounds like Brent says something about paying your tab? Sounds like some inside joke lol. Sucks my computer relisten version doesn’t do FF etc, only skip/replay, or I’d zero in more. Boy they come outta Truckin’ ripping, then the Nobody’s Jam huge tease!
Rockin A&A that literally got the old guy up dancing.
Another fun morning checking out off piste shows!
Anybody up for something completely different mañana? Perhaps some 92 as we’ve hit 70s, 69, 82 but no 90s for a bit?
Perhaps: 3/9/92, 5/25/92, 6/8/92, 6/25/92, something from 3/16-18/92, or if anyone knows of something killer, turn us on! Would love some good 92 suggestions that I can write down and sneak one in now and again, throughout the year?
Besides the obvious other stuff, I’d love to get a little into 82 and 92 a bit, that’s if anyone is interested?
ONWARD!

Think I’m going Dicks 4 for extra credit?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey Oroborous,

We are all back in the saddle again! Back at school and work, but this thing is still ripping through work and school. Thanks for checking, appreciate it.

Loving another September 79 show. Fun first set, Stagger Lee is always welcome. Solid and different Minglewood and Jack a Roe, TMNS.
Just getting to LIG now, looking forward to the rest of the show.

Yes, I am up for some 92, just let me know. I don't hit this year up too much so it would be good to give it a go.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had a friend that attended this show and he was floored by set 1.

Enjoy your P.O.T. Day as always... :-)

P.S. Fire hydrants (1st time in a while I've been reCaptcha'd!) Nice.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Well, that's great to hear. Yep.. sounds about what happened here, everybody had it and it's just starting to burn itself out.

Wow.. a fresh listen revealed many new high's in this show. I started 2/11 a few days ago but didn't finish it until last night. The Dark Star through Caution was fantastic, especially Dark Star and The Eleven. Disc 2 uninterrupted with headphones floating in the tub after a day of skiing. So much to unpack and digest but how about that recording? It says recorded by Bob Mathews, which is a little unusual, no mention of whether it was Multi-Track, but this was not a Dickus Pickus which at least hints at the possibility that this was not a standard two track recording.

Thanks for the great pick, Doc, sorry for my delayed praise. Gotta road trip for a bit so unless I have the picks on my portable device, I will going rogue..

As you were guys and (gals?).. keep on keeping on.

6/28/92 it is!
Just need to hit the treadmill and watch some cabin masters, then I’m on it!

DV & Jim, great news!

EDIT: Nice Show! Really enjoyed that.
Good set list, nicely played for the most part, decent sound, decent energy, definitely a nice surprise and another off piste find! Nice era change up too.
Thanks WTJ!

DBL EDIT: 6/29/92 extra credit

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, thanks Jim. 6/28/92. Alright, will get it going soon. Thanks guys.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I always like to check out new shows, so thanks for the pick. I haven't been able to connect with 92 yet. The tempo seems slowed down so much and lacks that fire in the belly you hear from other years, not all. Since I did not see any shows in 92, I certainly cannot comment on why that is.
Anyway, still found enjoyment with the opening Help Slip Franklins and Wang Dang Doodle. New Speedway Boogie!

Going to go back and check out the 4/12/82 show from Nassau OB mentioned last week.

Let me know what you all are thinking.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I already hit that at some point, decent show, think you’ll like it.
I’m probably going to read today, but maybe I’ll hit the previous night 4/11/82?

EDIT: recaptcha tractors, think I saw Jim on the way back machine in one of the pictures?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

1. If you are underwhelmed with 6-28-92, you are going to be even more disappointed with the next nights show which I understand from show reviews and my own listening to be a bit of a letdown.

2. I had some filler from 5-19-92 (the opening few numbers CR+S, Rooster and Althea) on one of my tapes and my ears perked up. It was surprisingly hot 'for '92', as the saying generally goes.

Take 'er easy and enjoy your listening. Past couple days I've been able to enjoy Download Series 12-10-73, 1-22-78 (DaP 23), 8-25-72 (DaP 24), and I've been embarking a bit on DaP 25 (11-6-77) a show that gets better and better for me with repeated listens. Even the oddball Scar>Fire. :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Those are all great shows WTJ and in the rotation quite often for me. Dave's #25 in particular is one of my favorites.

4/11/82 you say OB. I will for sure check it out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I didn’t go to Deer Creek, went to Soldier Field 6-25,26-92 and thought they were great (James Cotton on harmonica for a song or two, Steve Miller on stage for a few songs).

I had 6-28-92 on cassette in the 90’s and wasn’t that impressed, but may have been biased since I was at the previous shows. I’ll revisit it eventually but not tonight since 10-17-72 is playing (worked my way through the STL Box over the past 2 weeks or so and this is the last show).

I also had 5-31-92 on cassette and liked that show.
I was at 3-23,24-92 (Bruce’s last as a member) and those are pretty good too for the most part (few stinkers), but I especially liked Music Never Stopped (good light show to go along with it).

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Simply because there's not much going on until the next release. Why not?

Or are you already in Eastern Europe somewhere giving little gel capsules to unsuspecting tools? #DosePutin

Edit: Perhaps we need to pause the picks. That will get Bolo's attention. Or say his name three times, that usually works.

One Second Thought: Tomorrow's pic - 2/18/71? I think this might be a repeat too.. but rules are for the straight folks. Why 2/18/71? A question best left unanswered.

Bolo bolo..

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

That Set I is a doozy!! Just stacked with goodies. Tom Thumbs! To Lay Me Down! New Speedway > Smokestack to end the set?? Heck ya, would never have believed that had happened. Thought Set II started out a little wobbly on my first run through, will need to revisit. Nowadays Way to Go may be the only song I routinely skip. I'm always a fan of D>S from the later years and the post-space sequence is nice. Was really surprised how laid back the Around and Around was - I liked the arrangement. Fun pick, and one way outside my usual listening zone. '92 was only year I didn't see a show from '87 to '95. Had tickets to the 20th Anniversary at Veneta.

With you Jim, definitely would like another shot at the gold ring. How about it, Bolo?

I had a big post all teed up last week and for some reason the ptb thought i was trying to include a linque or some such and no matter how i reconfigured and rewrote it I couldn't get it past the censors. anyhow. a couple thoughts about the first contest. in a way more straight forward than I expected but still some deeply obscure history as befits a Bolo contest. didn't come close to peeling the layers of the onion off on that one. one funny dead end for me was that the Woody Allen film "Bananas" was released on 4/28/71, the second to last night of the famous final Fillmore East run when Tom Constanten sat in. I'm like, how can that not be it, that show or that run? but I couldn't make anything else work and of course there was a reason because that wasn't the answer. also chased a wild goose with "46" - that's the approximate length of that epic Playing from Hec Edmumdson, and at the time I think 5/17/74 Vancouver was a POTD. Oh and my first guess was the Melkweg shows in Oct. '81. I thought my reasoning was pretty good for those. Good but wrong.

Speaking of Vancouver 5/17 I was spinning that in the car past 2 days. Stars were aligned on the way home yesterday with that Playing - Phil was simply crushing it. Felt real good. That PNW box is a gem.

The 6/28 New Speedway Boogie caught my attention in part because I had been listening to the 12/20 and 12/21/69 Fillmore shows that are a part of DaP6. Had totally forgotten that those shows were the breakout for New Speedway. Really had fun with that release and right after that the Strider Brown special DaP 30 Fillmore 1/2 and 1/3/70. And right there with you WTJ as 11/6/77 and 1/22/78 Eugene also were in the rotation last several weeks. And have really enjoyed DaP 41- right in the sweet spot that one.

DV - glad you and yours got past the plague. Big sigh of relief.

Almost to the weekend. Have fun everyone. Be well. Be safe. Onward!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Good to hear from you Bluecrow, thanks man. Crazy time,.......

Anybody up for 3/24/73 at the Spectrum, Dave's #32?

As good as November 73 is, I think the March shows through Boston Garden show might be as good. Can't imagine what it would have been like to see this tour.

There are definitely a few more shows from this Spring tour Dave could put out.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Give me a day or two to come up with something particularly perplexing and nefarious, just the way y'all like it.

Yeah, BlueCrow's mind meanderings to come up with Melkweg were WAY out there. I'll have what he's having!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bolo24

Glad to join you later today DV with Dave's 32. I had that in the need-to-spin pile last month but never did it right.

For me there are great shows throughout '73 on all of the tours. Couldn't choose just one. In that first late winter tour what circulates from 2/19 International Amphitheatre, Chicago, has long been a favorite sequence. I'm assuming several reels are missing from the vault. This is sort of like the 2/2/70 Fox Theatre was for me before DaP6 was released. Back in the day no chance we would ever hear the whole show. Hoping the same sort of returned reel miracle happens with 2/19.

Bolo - thanks for giving us another puzzler. Perplexing and nefarious sounds just exactly perfect.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

By request, so don't blame me.

At the risk of becoming universally hated, here's the clue for Today:

Miami greyhound squid

PM your guess to me and show your reasoning. 3 guesses allowed per screen name, no new screen names.

Winner will receive some lovely GD schwag from my underwear drawer.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

came across this one today, enjoy

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did Bluecrow. Some releases get better to me with each listen. This one definitely fits that bill. What a first set, the Race is on, Cumberland, Box of Rain. End the first set with HCS, Me and Bobby McGee, Loser-Playing? Wow. And then the second set, nice China Rider, Big River, Stella Blue. He's Gone, Truckin-nice Jam- Dark Star into Sing me back home and nice closers with Sugar Mag JBG. That is some fantastic stuff. I think I made this statement a couple years ago and I will say it again, #32, #33 and 34 might be the best three show stretch in the series to date. Just my opinion.

Okay, PT Barnum gives us a 71 recommendation. I will get that one going later. Thanks for the pick. Oh and a new Bolo contest.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Pick of the day: Dream Bowl February 21 1969

Everybody knows of the Dream Bowl show from the following evening, which was released as part of the 30 Trips box set. Thanks to TPTB for making that happen.

But who listens to the previous evening? Slightly shorter but still very fine, yes it’s “standard repertoire” for early 1969 but oh! what a standard. Greasy Pigpen, exploratory Star, The Eleven, and a Dew to cap it off. Does it get any better? Be careful how you answer that!!!

Charlie Miller has blessed us with so much ear candy over the years, let’s try not to take it for granted, listen and give thanks!!

Doc
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes……

Not to be confuzzed with T.D.I.H. :-)

Might as well give equal weight to 2-21-71, 2-21-73, 2-21-82 or 2-21-95 if we're gonna think that way.

Have fun all, whichever route you choose to travel... :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Small World by Jonathan Evison. Ole Johnny is on fire in this book! One of the best I’ve read in a long time.
Also recently read/enjoyed John Babbs Prankster Memoirs, Ken Babbs Who Shot The Water Buffalo and Cronies.
So caught up on some well needed reading, now time to catch up on some Dead!

Concur, would hate to see this turn into This Day In GD History as there’s already a fine site for that elsewhere, BUT…in this case I’m down with 2/21/69 as it does fit well with our unofficial MO of checking out off piste shows rather than just rehashing the same big dogs we’ve all heard a million times. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, just feel our core group is a little more adventurous and tends to like to explore, at least as a group, club, whatever this has turned into lol.
Where the hell is GOGD he’d know! ; )

But 69 sounds fine, have recently hit both shows from 41 again, 2/26/73, some 92, and 5/21/74 from the Heck Edmundson Pavillon since the venue was part of Small World that I just read, so obviously a sign ; )

Bolo stumped me so hard I got a headache lol.