• 7,841 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

• Oroborous

Just every now and then from time to time…
    Some shows are just so good it’s worth it, unless some Jack ass is screaming dumb shit right next to the mics all night lol

• DeadVikes

Pretty sweet BB, front row center in April 81 and with the future Misses. Prime time Dead in my opinion.

OB, I don't mind an audience recording if it sounds good, just can't take the ones that sound terrible. Spent the first part of my Dead journey listening to a lot of bad tapes, which I am sure you can relate to. Anyway, yes, I am dipping my toes in those May 79 shows per your recommendation. Thanks Man.

• TN John

On the anniversary Big B!
    Peace

• Oroborous

Did we lose ya in the frozen Midwest lol?

And now DV I know you don’t like Auds, but you’ll like those 79s!
    Onward!

• Oroborous

My last trip 5 6 84 thru 6 14 84
    HN edited. all mostly good, usual 84 opsies etc, mostly good boards,
    None of the Hults stood out, liked the weirdness last night.
    Cal X a little better, probably. Red Rocks was definitely my best overall, especially enjoyed the second night. Last is fun but more sloppy…

Been hitting 77: 4 25 30 and now 5 1 prepping for 50 next.
    Maybe 69 next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I don't think anyone was suggesting that having the vaccine and boosters is a bad idea. Just that you can feel unwell after you have had them. That's not misinformation, I've had all the shots and it happened to me, too. Doesn't put me off having the next shot when my time comes though. I think the side effects you get are how you would react if you got the curse itself.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

all good

so i revisited 6/13/94 Set II (yeah I really like it and recommend for the "adventurous" and the Dew is very much muy excellente) and now with nitecat in 1980 and right there with the Let It Grow. Sweet recording.

in other "news" just got some personal good news and a weight lifted off my shoulders. The rain after hours of wind and dust was a harbinger.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Please check your PM, this isn’t the place for this.
Thanks

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

We’ll give that a whirl sometime, don’t think we’ve down a 94 so, like you said, extra credit if nothing else.
Rain, rain, raiaaaNnn, the weathers fine! Glad to hear, it’s clouding up here and supposed to…but these days ya never know. Scary shit lately, all kinds of fire already and only April! Duck Pound fire was less than 10 miles away. Luckily they were able to contain right on the edge of town, but lots of folks had to evacuate for a few days.
They were saying front range possible fire conditions today historical, yikes!
Up here not too much better. So good news for you, here, we might have to break out the rain dance!

ISTSHOW knows of what I speak! Rain PLEASE!
Hey, cool list, Rhapsody is a current fav, not sure what version offhand, and Debussy, classical for deadheads lol. I believe Bob has stated he was influenced by Debussy’s angular stuff?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

First night I was upper bowl, second row, aisle, just back from the first tower of speakers. Sound quality was real and spectacular.
Second night lower bowl side near stage but under the overhang. Sound was pretty good but due to the overhang all the voices from people behind me and in the concession area were a constant drone and muffled the music somewhat.
Third night straight back lower bowl between the rear towers. Sound was real good.

Thanks again GDTS!

There’s video of all three nights on utoob (search DeadFloyd69). Check it out, you can get a sense of how good the sound was, even with a recording made with an iPhone (the trick is to cup your hand around the end of the phone where the microphone is, it focuses the sound into the microphone and blocks out noise from behind).

Yes Mrs. DV, it’s just Raven Space.
Sit down and take a listen.
Then check out Earthquake Space.

Bluecrow, I like 94.

Okay, then.

Tonight was Grateful Dead tribute night at Target Field. Imagine that. Didn't hear any dead playing.
Twins beat the White Sox 2-1. Good game.
Are you still out there Deadheadbrewer?

So, enjoyed Nitecat's recording of 6/13/80. What is not to like.

New Minglewood, Sugaree, Althea,
Lost Sailor, SOC!. Give us a China Rider, Terrapin Station. Must have been a good show to be at.

Let me know when you guys start seeing those shipping notifications.

Wait earthquake space conekid, what is that?
Oberon is flowing again in MN. How about in PA?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks for that - reply posted.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Come on now Jim, I just posted about most communication is non-verbal, body language, eyes, etc. So it can be difficult to communicate, truly, when I (we) are trying to live and post some here. It means I fall into the same trap as Doc pointed out. Trying to move too fast, posting and then reading, not editing first.

Anyway, I got the third shot in late December. Then caught Omicron in late January. I hope folks understand that after my appendix ruptured, I am immuno-compromised. I started working from home in the 2008 range. So between working from home and having a compromised immune system, I have been more introverted. So the stay home stuff didnt impact me at all. Actually, the appendix where it attaches to the colon kept shrinking until the appendix floated off of the colon and then exploded. The colon was completely sealed up so no surgery for the appendix itself. When I went for my two week visit after leaving the hospital, they found all of these infected masses growing in my abdomen, pieces of the appendix causing new infection. So then, I went back into the hospital for 2 weeks. Back on strong antibiotics. But then, they also had to stick 5 drains in me to purge off the infected masses. I had 4 drains in abdomen, with one being inserted through the rectum, plus a chest tube. The infection started to cause my chest to fill with fluid to the point where I could not speak without coughing. I left after two weeks, went back to house. Then when I went back for a 2 week visit, the nurse practitioner said she could not prescribe pain meds because she had to get me in the hospital immediately as I had MRSA. When they saved my life, they pumped me full of iv fluid and antibiotics. By doing this my legs swelled to the point that the skin tore open. The scabs of those skin tears were infected with MRSA. Now when I went in for the third, I still had one drain in my liver. That drain was in me for 70 days.

So yeah, I had no hesitation taking the vaccine or the booster. As I think about it, it may be the omicron which is causing short term memory issues. I have been quickly trying to adapt, to focus my mind when I am talking to someone. I started to notice this memory issue about a month ago. Is it age, appendix, omicron? Just dont know.

Now one last thing about the appendix issue. I was so sick they had to bring in the area infectious disease doctor that reports to the CDC. I know one of the reasons she was brought in was to authorize antibiotics that have not been released to the public domain. That is, with the over use of antibiotics, the CDC has kept certain antibiotics for future use. Now, how much damage did they cause, no way for anyone to know. With my four main diagnosis when I was admitted being sepsis, keto-acidosis, renal failure, pulmonary failure. The point being, my body has gone thru a lot of inflammatory issues over the last 6 years.

Hopefully no harm no foul. I too have lost someone close to me. The underbelly of nature can be hard to deal with. Hey, but I still get to crank some dead today!!!

G

Will post first, then edit. I have lost several long posts over the years to posting issues here. So I post, then edit.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

DV - Night before the Raven Space - 4/18/82 Hartford. 75th anniversary of San Francisco Earthquake. Can't say I've ever heard it so in the queue it goes.

There was a Pearl Harbor Space 12/6/81 at the Rosemont Horizon.

Conekid - Be sure to check out that Seattle show if you haven't already. solid shows in Eugene also. '95 shows in Seattle also had some really nice music.

Gary - wow.

A fine Saturday to crank some Dead. Onward :-)

Some people report post- Covid brain fog.
Glad you pulled through. With all your inflammation you could also have some brain inflammation which can affect cognition.

Bluecrow,
I checked my HD yesterday and 6-13-94 set2% is on there.

DV,
I was able to get 2 cases of 16 oz cans on Oberon Day 3-21-22.

Yes, got a DaP42 shipping notice but tracking is not yet available.

Hope all well with folks. Just got in from checking on my own. They are doing better for their age than I am doing for mine. Ouch

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

No worries on my end, I clearly did not mean any harm.

Onward.

Sounds really rough Gary. Glad you pulled through. Hope you continue to heal.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

You guys have never heard 4/18/82, especially liking spring 82…blimey!
I haven’t mentioned it because I just assumed, and we all know what happens when we assume, that everyone has heard that one! Well, look at the upside, you guys are in for a treat as the whole show is good, not just the cherry.

6/13/80: good job Senior Wiseman sp? sorry.
Interesting show too. Overall thought it was good, JG seemed to struggle at times and I don’t think I’ve heard him having so many tuning issues since tuners and custom guitars? Perhaps some kind of guitar issues?
Good show though, really dug the new tunes that they didn’t always seem to have their parts down.
Interesting catching 6/13/94 next. Same venue, same day, just FOURTEEN years later!
The 94 was ok, but sounded like they might of been back too far as you can hear way more of the venues acoustic signature. I believe Nitecat said he was using a high stand in FOB? That would certainly reduce the venue, ambience and crowd! Can’t wait to check out more! We need a list so we can work em into rotation.
That is if you SB snobs can handle it lol, JUST TEASING!
The 94 was good. Er, hard to put into words…tired and industrial came to mind. The former was more a vibe, but seemed to cover much until Bird Song, which had a little extra, but that’s where I thought of the latter. It sounded industrial, which I don’t mean good or bad, just different? I’ve not been a big fan of Jers guitar sound during this era.
It’s not bad, just different? Bob changed axes and crap constantly, but besides effects etc, Jer kept that trademark sound mostly intact up until here. I don’t think it’s not using live speakers on stage since that happened in 92. Perhaps it’s that different guitar (forget the name) he was using, or perhaps something in line?
Felt like it sounded like a cheap piezo pickup on a plastic ovation like guitar through a crappy amp. Of course I’m exaggerating but it did sound different, for good or for Ill, your taste may certainly differ.
But the show picks up more in the second and though I did enjoy it, it reminded a little of the feelings we started to have in those days, like gulp, it might end! But all these years later I’m able to listen with different sort of ears, and don’t suffer from the hangups I had back then. So was it a 74 Beatty, no, but so what, it was still an enjoyable performance by the best band in the land. Thanks for the pick. Since not all shows from then are as consistent, it’s nice to have picks when venturing into foggy territory!
Oh, BC, if you’ve not done so, perhaps check out one of my 83 favs from that Seattle venue, 8/27/83!
Make sure you get the right version? Can’t recall but you want to hear it on speakers not cans, at least Jack Straw!
Hint, PHIL!

Daverock, back at ya!

GF: no I’ll intent ment. We just felt you misspoke, but you have since clarified and the wheel keeps turning!
Be well and rock on brother!
PS: I remember some of this horrible experience you went through before but being forgetful myself had forgotten just how horrific it was. Glad you made it and are here with us!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - those Seattle shows are at 2 different venues, though just blocks apart. Coliseum is indoor, Memorial Stadium is outdoor. I think at that time Memorial Stadium was used primarily for High School football playoffs, it wasn't all that big.

Gonna have to agree to disagree somewhat on the '94 show. I didn't run Set I this time around so need to do that, but I think it's solid good show, esp. given the time period. Scarlet > Fire had that extra juice and, like I said, Jerry's cup runneth over on the Dew. and I can't ask for anything more. You're not the first I've heard by any means who didn't like Jerry's guitar sound at the time. Me? I really liked the sound of Lightning Bolt, which I think Jerry was playing that night. As chance would have it I actually attended the first Lightning Bolt show, which was the Jerry Garcia Band 8/7/93 right there in Memorial Stadium. Also saw the first Lightning Bolt Dead shows, which were later that month in Eugene. Not that I actually knew that he was playing a new guitar, I wasn't that dialed into the equipment. But Jerry's tone in all three shows sounded excellent to me. The JGB show was an afternoon affair and top shelf - release worthy later era JGB in my opinion. I think Jerry enjoyed it so much that that's how the Dead ended up playing the same venue in '94 and '95. Memorial Stadium was probably about as chill a venue as you could have in those last years. My youngest brother was out visiting that month, so backpacking, camping, and music. It was an awesome time.

I'll check out the '83.

Those two are a package deal.. The Phil Space Extravaganza. Somebody must have put something in his coffee.

I wasn't able to hit 4/18 but I plan to revisit it at some point soon. Nearly stranded in the middle of nowhere today, flat tire and issues that can sometimes come with that. All is good, got a little sunburn but had a great day. No listening though.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Lol, sorry BC, I was worried my words were not going to be right.
I liked this show, it just made me think, remember, which in itself is ok.
But those were changing times and sometimes there’s residual baggage attached?
And I’m always preaching you shouldn’t compare apples to oranges etc, and so yes, for the time it was a fine show and I enjoyed it, and appreciate being guided to a 94 show that was enjoyable, because unfortunately, not all are as consistent. I’m glad to check out any era as long as the show is up to the standards of said era, actually, I’m pretty game for anything lol. But there can be a difference in consistency and quality between randomly picking say a 77 show or a 94-95 show, the odds that is, no?
I just have the perhaps bad habit by modern standards of critiquing what catches my ear, both good and not so good, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t enjoy the show. That’s why I listen, to see how every show is different, and It’s often easier to pick out the miscues than the subtle golden yummies. Also, I can tell folks often don’t get what I’m trying to get at, but that’s on me I’m sure. But it’s all good and that’s why this here gathering spot is called with discussion!
Oh, same with the guitar thing: it’s not that I don’t like it, I just like it less than others, same with the Travis Beans. It’snot that I don’t like, I just like Tiger more etc. I’ve usually embraced the evolution in the dead’s sounds as the years rolled by, but the industrial later 90s stuff I didn’t like AS much. But it’s grown on me over the years, same with Vince in some ways. Just need more quality exposure. Like an athlete, need more reps etc!

JIM: hang in there amigo, I feel like life’s piling it up a little your way?
Sure don’t need to remind ya: “ if you get confused, listen…”
Another interesting day.
Mañana amigos!

PS, Dooaahh, thanks for correcting my venue information error. I usually check those things but being in a hurry did not. Gotsta keep it real!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

52 years ago today my older sister, the one who can roll a joint one handed while driving, was at her first (and only?) show and tripping to primal Dead. Trying to find out, as some reviews have said, if this was one show or two. Deadbase lists as two nights with the first night having an acoustic then electric set that ends in Drums, with the second night (4/25/70) being electric starting with Dark Star and going through some grease with Pig's Man's World in there for what seems like a short set list. Was this a rain-out or a curfew? One reviewer said it was one night with a tape cut in Man's World and he likened the sound to being recorded in a bathtub. Not high praise but he did like the primal nature of the beast. Any ideas?
Thanks and cheers
Edit: The notes from the five versions on the Archive seem to indicate one show and there never was a 4/24 show. Looks like the five entries are from only two sources and the others are improved versions. Especially interesting are the citations of a Feeling Groovy and Tighten Up jams in the Dark Star. Gotta give this a go! Now, how do you download from the Archive?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I have had all the shots, boosters etc. Last week I got out of the hospital after not being able to breath and could not complete a sentence. I started feeling bad on Thursday, itchy throat. Then, Friday, bad chills, fever, just an all around feeling of death. Got thru the weekend but by Monday, could not breath and was literally gasping for breath. Called the VA nurse and told her my symptoms, she said "Get to the Emergency Room, now." So I went. Turns out after all my precautions, I got covid. They treated it with new antibiotics and by Friday I was able to return home. I am still on O2 and can't really go anywhere or do anything. Still weak as a puppy and am attached to this breathing machine that produces O2 by stripping the Nitrogen out of the air and gives you pure oxygen. I have no brain fog, none. I have no stamina either. Simple tasks are a burden and any thing strenuous can't be done.
On top of it all, I went to the store with my portable O2 tank, did some shopping for food stuffs, and checked out, got to the car and opened the door, turned around and the cart was rolling down the parking lot with my groceries in it. I turned in pursuit and tripped over my own feet and fell to the ground, o2 tank crashing to the ground along with disabled me resulting in bloody scrapes and a huge blood blister on left hand where most of the weight landed. Nothing broken luckily. Now, I have my groceries delivered. I don't go out. I don't drive.
Lost a filling upper left too, and then there was the car accident with my wife driving. No one hurt, just the car, 7000.00 damage done to the passengers side both doors and rear quarter panel. Got to close to a pole.
In closing, shit happens to us all, you got to roll with it. I think soon I will be actually rolling with it, in my wheel chair.
Stay cool deadheads.
Last 5:
Spirit - The Complete Potatoland
Budgie - Never turn your back on a Friend.
Pink Floyd - More
GOGD - 5-25-72 Disc 3 from the trunk
GOGD - 5-11-72 Disc 3 from the trunk (Dark star>drums>Dark star)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Got a soft spot for mammoths.

1st Show - thanks for the rec. I love this acoustic/electric era. Listening to the sirmick transfer on relisten (sirmick trnsfers are quality for me). yes, a bit back-of-the-hall but truly very much listenable to my ears. both Jerry and Phil plus vocals and overall "sound" well captured in terms of energy. you can easily relax into this tape. plus its an excellent freaking show. Epic Dark Star > Stephen > William Tell > Eleven (last one?). On a side note this lead me to a nice DeadEssays blogpost by Light in Ashes on audience tapes from 1970. Typical thorough rundown. Plus bonus content in that in the comments there are a whole bunch of interesting taper war stories from back in those earlier days.

Oro - guitar preferences understood. To my ears Lightning Bolt had a very "clean" sound and at times almost like he was playing an acoustic. I think the Travis Beans were similar in having what I would describe as clean sound. While I loved the TB he was playing in '77, the one in '76 not so much for a long time. June '76 box finally set me straight on that. Skull and Roses Jerry sound is a favorite and I only learned in past couple years that he was playing the Rick Turner Peanut which I hadn't even really known existed, let alone its place in '71 history. And just yesterday you posted that Rick Turner had passed away. RIP.

Edit - And now, after some "research", I freaking learn that Jerry was playing Rosebud in Seattle '94. Read that he switched to Rosebud for Summer '94 and checked a photo and damn that's what he playing. Ha. Guess my ears not as calibrated as I would think sometimes. Also read that he was playing Rosebud summer tour '95, including 7/9/95, (which I saw) because Lightning Bolt was "in the shop". However - Rosebud had some technical issues mid-show 7/9 and he finished the show with Tiger. He was playing Lightning Bolt for the '95 shows I saw in Seattle and Portland. Jam in Foolish Heart 5/25 perfectly expresses what I loved about Lightning Bolt.

PT Barnum - Whew. Dodged the bullet thank goodness. Speedy full recovery.

A fine Sunday to crank some (Mammoth) Dead.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Jeez, P.T. sorry to read about all that. I know shit happens, but that's an avalanche. I hope it doesn't get you down too much, and that you have a steady recovery. A friend of mine said he had bad trouble breathing when he caught it last February - but he was okay after about three weeks. So here's hoping it won't last too long for you either.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sis got to see the first show at that newly remodeled roller rink too. Right before the Hammond/Dead show she saw Jethro Tull and the Denver band Zepher with lead guitarist Tommy Bolin! Dang! I didn't know how pure hippy she was back then. A legacy. Waiting on a call from her to get the whole low-down. Seems the Denver cops got The Family Dog (see Canned Heat drug bust) and Mammoth Gardens both shut down to cut down on juvenile delinquency. A Denver civic leader was quoted as saying, "The place is going to Hell in a handbasket". But at least we're enjoying the ride!
Cheers and thanks Blue Crow.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

per jgmf (jerry garcia's middle finger) blogspot - there were 2 shows, 4/24 and 4/25, and what we have is almost certainly from 4/25.

also a mention of another show shrouded in mystery with no circulating tapes - 4/26/70 at Poynette Wisconsin. There are photos of that show, and first hand accounts, and being a kid from the midwest it piqued my interest a while ago.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Hope you heal fast PT Barnum. That is a rough story.

Anybody have a pick for today?

I might be feeling a E72 show if nothing comes up.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yea, wow.. what a story. Wishing as speedy and healthy a recovery as possible.

What about 4/26 Jahrhundert Halle? It's been a while since I hit this and it has to have one of the best NFA>GDTRFB transitions out there.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

While downloading DSO, found this picture,,,,, is that you? Or your evil twin brother?

archive .org/ details/ DSO2017-06-22

Take the extra spaces out and do google search,,,,, there are 3 shows for this date on the archive,,,, you are only in one.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Let's do it.

Yes, this a great one. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

everyone, we will survive. Peace and love to you all.
Been stuck in 1980 today, the show I am going to put forth after that hundered year hall show, (one of my favs) is 4-29-80 at the fabulous Fox theatre in Atlanta. I have spoke of this show before and I was there and it was a gas.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Nope, not me Dennis, but not a bad guess!
You got me excited for a minute as we played a show with DSO back in…? probably June, July, maybe august 05, 06?
It was at a place out here in the Boonies called Statebridge located right on the Colorado river, cool place!
We opened up for them on the main stage in the afternoon, and played again after them inside the old lodge.
The reason I got excited was there used to be video of us from the afternoon set. Someone had a multiple camera set up going and so there was good video. Alas, I’ve not seen it anywhere since? I thought maybe you found something?
Man that was a fun night!

PS: yeah, hang in there PT, that’s some horrible shit you’ve been through. Hope you get past this soon with no lingering affects. I think that’s the part I’m most scarred of, the long term shit…be well!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Jahrhundrert Halle - 2 thumbs up! Spinning the original release. A few songs missing, maybe pick those up later, but Keith gets his proper level in the mix.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Of all the E72 shows, I have probably listened to this one the most over years through the partial release in the 1990s of Hundred Year Hall and the full show when it was released. I missed out on the box when it first came out but this was the first individual show I purchased.
Anyway, it is still great, what is not to like.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

It doesn't matter which year you are stuck in - but I feel sorry for anyone stuck in 2022. Time travel has always been a hobby.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

dang sorry to hear about that. I mean real sorry.

I hope you can gain strength.

It is amazing how much healing the body can do. Relax, eat well, control blood sugar is the most important for healing, particularly when it comes to the immune system strength.

G

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks to Mr Smith I have a list of Nitecat’s that are up and ready to be enjoyed!
So we’ll be slipping em in POTD here and there to keep things interesting!

That Jeff, I don’t care what anyone says, he’s ok ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Been looking at this show for a while, 3/3/81, Cleveland Music Hall, but I am a sucker for March 81. Hey March 81, that would make a great box.
Okay, back to reality, let me know if this peaks anybody's interest?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It's got a Peggy-O. The Miller SBD and the Wagner Aud both sound very nice. My tomorrow is shaping up to be a train wreck but I can whittle my way through most of this tonight.

Jahrhunderthalle Halle was a blast, but I'm a sucker for Comes a Time. Google the venue (and Rheinhalle to for that matter). They both were clearly built by aliens with great taste in art and a great sense of humor, I mean.. the Dead playing at places like this.. get outa here.

user picture

Member for

2 years

Nice contet sir

Nothings resonating?
Probably just me? My mood is kinda meh in general today, didn’t sleep well etc.

4/29/80 was ok a couple days ago, but felt a little inconsistent to me? The pull wasn’t that good so that might of been part of it?
Couple of big flourishes though

Listened to parts of 4/26/72 which moved me, but not really feeling the Europe bug this year, which is funny being the 50th? Think I’m just really burn on early seventies?
Have been hitting at least the Dark Stars though, through that 4/29/72 beauty so far!

3/3/81 and 3/2/81: Aaawwight? . I’m a bit moody today so was hoping playing hookey and listening would bring me out of it

Which is to say, again, I liked these shows but they didn’t shake me up, the next level etc?
Hey, if nothing else more notches in the ole dead base!
Hang it up, and see what tomorrow brings?

Edit: great, already in a crappy mood and then had to fuck with recaptcha BS 7 times! Awesome!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey OB, sorry this one didn't do it for you.
I thought the recording was good but definitely not great. It seemed to be better in spots. Still enjoyed the show, Peggy O, China Rider, He's Gone, Lost Sailor SOC out of Drums was good, BP.

I will have to check out 3/2 as well at some point.

Really hoping for a different era box this year, we will see.
My LTTR box is already falling apart on the sides. I will say, this is the worst constructed box to date and the functionality isn't great either. Too hard to get the cases of the box. Yes, I do still listen to the actual CDs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It’s a dead show, not like I had to eat glass or something ; )
Sometimes you eat the baaaarrr, sometimes the baaar eats you!
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you just feel your nuts.

And, hey, isn’t that why we listen? They all can’t be 5/8/77?

Like any interest in 10/21/73?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

thanks for the kind words, again, you guys are the greatest.
Getting stronger every day, am now off O2 and breathing with ease. Still have copd, but can breath up to par now. Car goes in for repair 5-9, Dentist on 7-5 and no more Dr appointments scheduled until August. I was up on the roof yesterday cleaning off the leaves and cleaning out the gutters. I completed the task with only slight panting so I must be on the mend. I don't remember standing on a ladder being so painful to the front of the thighs, lol, got some muscles I haven't used in a while telling me that they are there and not use to all the attention.
Once again, thanks everyone Daverock, Gary, Oro, and all the rest, if I missed anyone, sorry, but thanks everyone just the same.
Last 5 or so:
GOGD 4-29-1980 First time at the Fox and First Lost Sailor>St. of Circumstance, not a barn burner, I guess you had to be there.
James Gang Rides again
America - First
Peter Gabriel OVO
Eric Clapton Another Ticket
Grand Funk Railroad - 1st (Red Album)
Grand Funk Railroad - Live (double lp)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

My boss showed me a video of a Phish show last night. They had very large whale floating above the crowd,,,, looked great. Worth checking out a few minutes of video

utube com watch?v=Z8ZM58WjhK

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Given your recent run of bad luck that was brave, going up on the roof ! Hats off for Grand Funk.
This Wembley RSD release is brilliant.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick of the day: April 17, 1969 Washington University

Came out of hibernation just long enough to post about this little gem. "New" Bear-Latvala-Eaton-Miller remaster just hit general circulation. Absolutely worth a listen.

Unless, of course, you DON'T like greasy spacey April 1969 Grateful Dead........

Rock on,

Doc
But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.......................

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

I have that, obviously, and will share with anybody who wants, needs, or is just plain curious............

I'm always just a pm away...............

Rock on,

Doc
Each of us finds his unique vehicle for sharing with others his bit of wisdom.......