• 7,846 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

MIT 5/6/70

Got severely HN'ed this morning, and they didn't even read me my rights..........

Doc
    Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.......

• nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by dmcvt

Most of us took out second mortgages on our homes when 30 Trips was released.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by MDJim

JimInMD is no longer in Time Out.

I can post again. Two, make that three, multi-syllable words. For what it's worth, it's probable some outside firm or contractor did the web site modifications. If so, I bet they were performed exactly as agreed upon and everything was signed off in advance. If so, it cost them money to do it and it will cost them more money to undo or modify it. Poor planning is no way to go through life.

They are playing Nov 1 1979 Pittsburgh on Sat Radio. That one's a keeper

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Sweet sounding chunk of this show in this week's tapers. nice alternative to the hay now blues. check it out if you haven't already.

acoustic - Monkey & The Engineer, Little Sadie > Black Peter
electric - China Cat > I Know You Rider > High Time > Dire Wolf

user picture

Member for

7 months

Haven't used this word since the early 2000’s ...clunky
absolutely downright clunky

...Well they're putting up resistance but I know that my faith will lead me on.

Peace All:)
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Taper's is good 'ol GD this week.
All 3 are great.
Poor little Sadie. What did she ever do to deserve her fate?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I am passing these reports up the line and am really sorry for the difficulties.

Thanks MaryE.

Anymore of this and I will never be able to listen to Iko Iko again. As it is now, the intro riff brings on my own version of PTSD.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For all you deadheads and pecan pie.
Cheers

Have an enjoyable one today.

Just read an interesting article about Phil's new project is it called Darkstarathon, I think. The opening tag line is Hey Now, welcome to the Darkstarathon!

For keeping it real and being antidote to what sometimes feels like "corporate" responses and hoops. Not fully gotten over the condition of the discs delivered in my HCS box though since they all played, am thankful for that, getting the music if not the condition paid for. Having half of them arrive with minor scratches and bits of glue stuck to several edges from mindless, careless packaging, have we sent the message clearly enough? I debated asking for replacements, still feel less than satisfied with the response or lack thereof. Have only had one other problem disc in nearly twenty years of DPs, DaPs and box sets.

Actually listening to Kezar this morning from the box. Damn, is it good. Jerry's guitar is so crisp and the overall sound quality still amazes me for this show.

Yes, the manufacturing issues are a bummer. No excuse for that.

Edit. And my post went through on the first attempt!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Not sure if this is the best forum for this...

...but can anyone help fill me in, or direct me to info, about Record Store Day and how/when dead dot net gets involved? I am asking because the estimable Alvarhanso steered me to 11/18/72. Apparently that was an RSD release in 2014 (or a Black Friday RSD release? That's part of why I need help here) and I've seen blog posts saying it was available for sale "at the Dead's official website". Just wondering if that was true, and if I should pay more attention. I managed to pick up a copy (CD not LP) for sixty bucks but I want to avoid sleeping on this kind of thing in the future. Thanks for any tips

Also I want to give a shout to Marye for always keeping this place going. Happy Belated Thanksgiving, neighbor! And the same to all of you good folks here. Cheers everyone

what little I know... others please fill in and correct me. Believe RSD releases vinyl arranged with WMG/Rhino, not ever sold on dead.net. The second set of 11/18/72 was available briefly as a single CD from dead.net years ago, not long after or around the time it came out on vinyl for RSD 2014. It rocks. The first set has never seen daylight on the archive, far as I know, major audio issues. Strongly suggest check out the next night, 11/19, full glory in the archive, a Charlie Miller soundboard AND an excellent Dark Star.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

I think you have that exactly correct. Man, I wish they both had all the reels from that Texas run and released it as a mini box. That PITB is an all timer. I can find PITB's I love in almost any era, and I have an affinity for the 73 and 74 spacey monsters, but nothing beats an on fire 1972 Playin' in the Band and that one from Holfheinz Pavilion is real and it's spectacular.

Fingers crossed this gets through

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hope everybody had a happy, fun, and delicious Turkey Day, and a long weekend to kick back.

Lucky to have snagged a copy of the 11/18/72 CD back in the day. It's a beauty. Spinning it now. Dig the artwork, one of my favorites in the Dead archival release genre. Minor technical note. Hofheinz Pavilion is at Univ. of Houston, not TCU which is Ft. Worth. 11/14/71 at TCU was the bonus disc for the Austin road trips. Hopefully 11/19/72 sees the light of day as a formal release.

final edit - I literally had to build this post up sentence by edited sentence after getting DQ'd my first couple go arounds.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by bluecrow

Right you are... not sure how I came up with TCU and looking at the CD case, it reads Houston, Texas, no mention of Hofheinz Pavilion, though that's the venue. A Bear original recording, mastered by Jeffrey Norman, the disc is marked HDCD but I see no mention of plangent process. Not much information, no booklet in the sleeve cover and the artwork is outstanding indeed.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Decided it was time to revisit that that 11/14/71 TCU disc. NP.

DMCVT - the missing(?) booklet from the 11/18/72 CD release is sort of a puzzle. Can't say for sure but guessing there were liner notes for the LP release (can anyone here confirm?) and that somewhere along the line the corresponding booklet for the CD never materialized and there was a collective shrug by the involved folks. The CD sleeve was certainly designed for one. I'd forgotten about the "missing" booklet until I went to spin it today.

Went Deep Tracks (at least for the BC collection) a couple of days ago with the late November gray and cold rain and listened to Garcia Live Vol. 1 - 03/01/1980 - really hit the spot. And yes, there is a fine Mission in the Rain. Keyboards a bit weird but it was what it was for the era. Jerry's playing is fire.

I have a soft spot for that one. What a great, well written song.

Side trip - Billy and the Kids came up on my BluesTube suggestion list and I just hit it. James Casey just rips it.. I was recently wooed to this guy and just like that he is gone. What a talent and what a loss.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I felt inspired to play this album again, after reading the messages on here. A great album, plenty of upfront Phil in the sound, which is always appreciated.

Bluecrow - there are sleeve notes with the record that aren't included in the cd. An essay by Dave Lemieux from July 2014, in which he suggest that November may be the peak of the peak for 1972. Along with the European tour, Veneta, September and October. Not New Year's Eve, too?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Thanks DaveRock for confirming that there are sleeve notes for the 11/18/72 LP release. Hopefully someday I'll get to read them. And I too really dig how prominent Phil is in the mix.

Jim - Mission in the Rain was a song that took me awhile to come around to. A great song. Went deep cuts in the BC vault again yesterday while working on home improvement project and listened to Pure Jerry Warner Theatre March 18 1978. That late show is stunningly beautiful!! Very emotional. Every song is fantastic. My favorite Mission in the Rain and really pretty much favorite versions for all those songs. And the recording is an absolute gem of a Betty Board. A must own in my opinion.

user picture

Member for

7 months

streamed that 1972-11-18
PITB!!
thru headphones
yesterday

Peace All,
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

That was the quite the journey, how this song evolved during 1972. I can't think of any other song that started out so humbly and ended up so expansive within a 12 month period.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Okay, this one is for all you 1980 fans. 12/13/1980 Long Beach CA. Courtesy of the good folks at 30 Days. Maybe Billy was at this show? Edit. Wait, that is too far south isn't it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Great show! That L > S > D finish to Set I featured in 30 days definitely caught my ear and I followed by going to the Scarlet > Fire to open Set II. Glad you suggested this show cause I intended to listen to the whole thing but it had already been swept on by in the general flow of things. Just 2 weeks after that great little run late Nov. that gave us DaP 8 in Atanta and of course Gainesville. Hadn't realized until going back that Airto Moreira and Flora Purim joined in on drumz > space (their first time, and they're also there the next night.) And there's a To Lay Me Down Set I. Good stuff!!

Bookmarking something completely different: 11/28/73 - Palace of Fine Arts, SF, CA - Jerry, Mickey, Ned Lagin, Phil. Some serious early live Seastone weirdness that in a way sounds much more like a precursor of Space than Seastones ca. 1974. I saw a photo of a fairly well-known poster for this show and a light bulb went on - wait, Jerry and Mickey? in 1973? what in the heck is this?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I picked the wrong one on 30 Days instead of the next Sailor>Saint>Deal on 12-13-80 but went back to catch the set opening Scarlet>Fire at someone's suggestion on 30 Days. A good era for sure. Will have to join in the fun today and maybe add Gainsville which I've never heard but certainly have heard of.
Cheers

I started listening to this on my phone at work. Finished it at home on the wired system. Sounded better on my phone.
Good solid post RCMH 1980 show. Yes, that To Lay Me Down is moving BC. My first exposure to this song was from Reckoning. I think I actually had and still have the LP which was titled For the Faithful. Of course I don't have a player now. Great version here, to tell sweet lies one more time!
Great Sailor Saint Deal to end the first set.
Scarlet Fire delivers, nice Playing. Great show.

Edit. The rest of the post got the Big Hey Now!!!!

user picture

Member for

7 months

...concur with DAVEROCK and his PITB assessment. I decided to stream pitb with headphones from 8 live performances during a 17 month period, and not go beyond the aforementioned 11/18/72: Hofheinz or include 8/27/72: Veneta (which I won’t get into at this time).

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In memory of Doc's 1st show:
Dec. 1, 1973 Boston Music Hall.
It has a WRS.
Cheers
By the way how do we find out who won the grand prize of 30 Days? Only the download list up today.

user picture

Member for

7 months

or will WMG's poorly written code end my discussion

edit this is obviously pathetic contract work

user picture

Member for

7 months

April 17 1971 Princeton
November 20 1971 UCLA
March 21 1972 Academy of Music
May 16 1972 Luxembourg
August 21 1972 BCT
September 17 1972 Baltimore
September 21 1972 Philadelphia

why did I venture into this exercise, well, because I stumbled upon Miles Davis Quintet “The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 on wiki. Intrigued, I went directly to “Background”, and reading the comments therein how the band members were becoming restless and dissatisfied, and that it had become easy to play together. Interesting I thought, and how’s about that evolution of pitb. To be clear, in no way am I insinuating that the GD were becoming restless and dissatisfied. Also, it helps answer the question surrounding always pushing the envelope, and confirms my magnetic attraction to late ’72, ’73, and early ’74. I’m going to revisit this exercise with a random dozen shows from my electrically charged era in the near future... and 8/21 is my fav out of the 8, based upon overall mix, vocals, fantastic jamming.

I can tell your future, look what’s in your hand

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Uncle- it's a great song to listen to, outside the context of the shows in which it was performed during the timespan you mention. I don't know that the band were particularly dissatisfied during 1971, but Keith's joining did signal a left turn into previously unchartered territory. There is no evidence, that I have heard, that suggests Playing would have become a jamming vehicle until he joined.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I love this three show run at Boston Music Hall Firstshow. Will que up 12/1/73 tomorrow. And then maybe revisit Dicks 14.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

He got his money's worth! The incredible China Rider transistion, smokin Big River, Brokedown, and we're just getting warmed up. Jerry's slide playing inspired in this show, WRS, Row Jimmy. Second set jam transitions all just smooth as silk.
Amazing show.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

Here at work, gearing up to deal with multiple gunshot homicide, last day before vacation..........

Boston Music Hall 12/2/1971. Very odd & interesting show. No Truckin', Other One, or Dark Star. Only 1971 show with both Smokestack and Lovelight---both solid versions. Black Peter and a Brokedown. Plus lots of other gooey Grateful Dead goodness!

Lots of high quality copies are out there. Always worth a listen!!

Music is the best means we have of digesting time......

Off to morgue..................where there is never any Grateful Dead played.........

Rock on,

Doc
Music, when soft voices die
Vibrates in the memory.......

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Been awfully slow here lately.

Driving home today from a quick errand and the Porsche Cayenne in front of me on the exit ramp had a personalized license plate that Said Hey Now! With some sort of Dead symbol between the Hey and the Now. You can't make it up. I thought about trying to communicate with the driver but then realized he might think I was a stalker.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yes, rockers, once again it is the anniversary of one of the greatest, weirdest, most bootlegged, and most interesting Grateful Dead shows of 1971----Felt Forum, December 5 1971.

The whole story is too long to tell here, but enlighten yourself with a listen, there are some very good copies of the matrix-like FM broadcast out there. It has pretty much everything you'd expect of a Dead show at that time.

Yet even after all these years, questions remain.................

1) I Wash My Hands In Muddy Water. This very country tune was pretty popular around 64-66, and Elvis himself put out a version in early 1971. How did it come to Garcia's attention and why was it only a one-off? Truthfully, the Dead's version sounds well rehearsed and is a neat little gem.

2) The vocal-less, so called "silent Dark Star". No words! What prompted that? However it came about, it's cool............

3) Every show in December was recorded, several have been released. Where is the pure soundboard copy of this show? Has it finally been returned to the band? One can only hope.................

4) Who was Uncle Sal???

The idea of music is to liberate the listener and lead him to a frame where he feels he is elevated.......

Rock on,

Doc
Music is the expression of the movement of the waters, the play of curves described by changing breezes.......

user picture

Member for

7 months

Due to increasingly restrictive privacy regulations and the desire to keep your data safe and secure. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you kindly for your understanding. This is my frustration; as it totally has a mind of its own to when where how or why; so you know, no soup for me! and possibly others too, oh yes this was written in six edits

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Doc how'd it go with that one? Forensic pathology seems not only useful to society at large but also a very thought-provoking way to spend one's time.

Now then...
>The whole story is too long to tell here
...if you want to tell more, I have ears to... well, I have eyes to read

bc 12/5/71 never gets old for me. I think the recording is a factor - I often wonder, if this one came out on Dave's Vol 22, would it have the same almost tangible electricity? Is there something about the mind filling in the gaps a bit, and positing improvements - that perhaps, things could be even more intense if only the signal to noise ratio was improved in our favour; if the room's reverb were lessened; if some Plangent sauce was applied? Sometimes I think I shade 12/5 with the tint of yesterday, because I heard it so many times before I ever heard 12/6 or 7. I've probably listened to 12/5 at least a dozen times since Dave's 22 came out, yet in the same span I've probably played Vol 22 three times through at most. I'd put that down to habit and familiarity. I had planned to listen to 12/5 tonight but maybe I should grab that Dave's and give it another really good listen instead...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

OBEAH---

Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.......

Multiple gunshot cases are the most challenging, akin to an autopsy marathon. You can't start out sprinting, instead, start out easy and finish strong. Takes planning, determination, and perseverance. Easy to find the injuries, sometimes much harder to find the "evidence"----bullets and fragments. You never want to bury lead................

Of all the gods only death does not desire gifts.........

Doc
Look for me in the nurseries of Heaven.......

Ah yes, one should not bury the lede. Neither the lead. Thanks for those observations, doc... gave me a lot to mull over this morning. A marathon... yes.

I ended taking my own advice (er... suggestion) and putting on 12/6/71 last night. I had some observations typed up but now I can't recall if I actually posted them... I was interrupted by my good wife during Wharf Rat, which seemed a reasonable time to look up from my brown study. I had been absolutely entranced starting with PITB, short but getting longer as '71 progressed. And that Other One... my word... just excellent. In my observations I remember thinking how impressed I was with Keith, and how accomplished he was just a mere few weeks into playing live with these guys... leaving space, a lot of space, but when coming in, his feel and expression on the keys was never tentative but consistently assured. No wonder Phil makes that comment (at the Academy of Music a few months later? I forget) about "our new keyboardist... well, actually, he's our old keyboardist; we just didn't know it yet"

Been listening to that glorious MSG Box again lately. Haven't listened to 10/11/83 more than once so need to get that show rolling again.

Stay well out there.