• 7,847 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

We made it to May, which means Oberon time here in MN. Finally some warmer weather.

Hope we hear some announcements soon, MUATM and how about the 2024 box set? Man, mum's the word.

Hope all is well out there. Tomorrow I need to finish the Dave's #50 release, which is fantastic to my ears.

• Forensicdoceleven

MIT 5/6/70

Got severely HN'ed this morning, and they didn't even read me my rights..........

Doc
    Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.......

• nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Yo BC!

Just getting into 2/89 DV. Solid, enjoyable, maybe not RJ though..

Early 79 highlights:
All pretty good, unfortunately many Auds only, but some of those were perhaps better than an SB, and some of the SBs aren’t so hot..
Started out on fire but you can hear slight cracks entering the vibe by the end of some of these shows. Burnout and tension perhaps?
Really liked the MSG shows especially the eighth. Of course the 10th.
I can see why Dave Likes the 15, but not sure I found it best of tour.
But man that sequence from playing onward, phew, hell the whole second is great! Next 2 almost as good, then of course the unusual 20, and 21.
A brief speed bump perhaps but they solider on nicely.
By 2/3 their nicely back in step and Dane, still think if there’s tapes it would fit nicely with the rest of the Danes: Great Dane Box! Sorta status quo for the next few, nice Kansas shows, then a good, but not RJ big finale n the 17.
Good show, but enough moments of mishap that I felt it wasn’t RJ.
Too bad there’s no tapes as I could see a few releases here.
Something from MSG, the 10 with DS filler from the 20th, the 15 off of Dave’s list, Dane, somewhere, and BTK 2/17 - 422 idea!

Ok, I’ll get 2 more 89 this week, unless I get 49…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

friends had a ticket for me but I chose poorly and didn't make the drive from MN. could've heard a Godchaux era Shakedown and an early Iko. no boards of this but there is of set one night before in Indy with that mid set China > Rider. And don't miss that indy Scarlet > Fire! damn i wish Betty was running reels for these. listening to two four set two now. been awhile since i heard indy so its on the list. that Scarlet guitar break is fire

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

The understatement of the year.

I think much of the late generation shows suffer in comparison to the shows that were properly recorded. True, vocals and harmonies has declined but the band played on.

They are playing 7 7 78 today on Sirius XM as I write this. Boy that Peggy-O was something. What a great run to see as your first show(s)

I let a tiny fart out in the Dave's Picks 49 thread. Music posts don't seem to go through but the test one I made later did. Unfortunately I used up all my patience trying to get the good one through.

is so very freaking fantastic. a couple weeks ago i revisited omaha 7-5 a k a the waterfall show and it was mind blown - what a screamer

one of my first boots was the superb front of board Wagner audience for that first Red Rocks show Set I and Set II through Scarlet transition. pretty much every song in that first set along with that Cold Rain BIODTL and Scarlet is a favorite version. burned in my brain. its all exactly perfect.

user picture

Member for

7 months

didn't make the drive. I can empathize with you! as I DID THE SAME THING for englishtown (only 35 mile drive);
my fatal error, major gaffe, momentary lapse of reason, bonehead move, dumbest thing to do; AND yes that decision all these years later still makes me want to laugh out loud & cry all at the same time, so everyone please KICK ME AGAIN!!!

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Needed a change of pace after listening to the fantastic 4/27/85.

6/23/74, Dave's #34. Love this one. Hope you can join me.

Oh and bring on that 2024 box announcement from .......74

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

So I might just as well since I'm waiting on 49. I think I'll start with the bonus disc.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Deadvikes - I'd willingly join you, but I played the 1st cd of 5/17/74 this morning, so I'm a bit out of synch. Incredible time for the Dead - amen to a 1974 box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I was thinking February 74 after first amazing listen to 49!
But 6/23 will work. Then, intermission, then 49 again, then perhaps Greensboro 89 where I left off, then later next week digest February 74 for a few days?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DeadVikes good call. Have to say i probably listen to the bonus disc to this and the 6/16 &18 Roadtrips a lot... Hope you guys are all doing well!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

so Deadvikes I just pulled out my copy of 6/23/74 at your suggestion. I have criminally underplayed this one. I call myself a '74 fan too so idk what my trip has been but anyway I grab the liner notes and unfold that thing and read the story of the photos and then I see the credit... to Forensicdoceleven ?!?! ?!

edit: I know this has surely been discussed already. I seem to have poor luck using the search function on this site, but let me see if I can find old posts, i don't mean to hijack this thread. I just felt a strong need to say "wait a minute!"

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Holy shit Bob t! Good to hear from you. It has been a long time. Hope all is well.

Obeah, yes, the Doc was involved with getting Dave the photos, I will let him give you the story. I have no idea how to search comments on this site either. I listened to this a lot when it first came out but haven't listened to it in a while.

I was able to get a full uninterrupted listen in today. My god, so good. One of those shows, where nothing is rushed. Sound quality might be the best 74 material I have heard with the exception of the Grateful Dead MST.
One of my favorite versions of To Lay Me Down. Jerry's guitar work is so moving. Great WRS. Love the Jam out of Seastones and then you get the rest of the second set! What is not to like. That Dark Star Jam, Spanish Jam into a phenomenal US Blues, that takes it's time. UJB, OMSN, Casey Jones to close it out. What a great show!

Dig those PNE shows Daverock and the February shows OB.
Would love some more.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Only made it through the bonus disc as I had anticipated. Life got in the way yesterday. The Playin' went some interesting places I didn't expect. Seems the TOOs and Playin' were the interchangeable space jams in the middle from 72-74. Superb smooth China > Rider. Is there a less than great 1974 show?

IIRC Doc had issues getting his photos back. A trouper to give that gift to us all. Thanks Doc!

Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

3/30/89
3/31/89
3/30/94: wow! Neat show! Sometimes…

3/28/89 best of year so far…

Friday: much of 6/23/74
1.3 back there somewhere?

And 49 sprinkled throughout!

Feb 74 on deck…
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Will put this on tomorrow OB. It looks like it is a Pearson Healy Miller. I was at the shows at the Mecca in WI and the old Met Center in Bloomington MN in April of that year. My senior year in HS. What a year! Oh shit that means 35th HS reunion this year.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Been in the hospital for a week with pneumonia, wife with metastatic cancer, life, it seems, has dealt us a harsh hand...............

In regard to Miami. Yes, I supplied the photos, the story is from the deep Dead past, now merely a footnote on a footnote and not so important. I had a chance to make a very minor contribution to the community, so I took it and dealt with the fallout. Bad feelings yes, long since discharged, let's focus on the music.........

It was, after all, the kind of magic that only the Dead could conjure. Very fine and very interersting, consumate quirky gooey good old Grateful Dead. Apart from Providence (my second show), my favorite 1974 outing...........

Rock on,

Doc

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For Doc & the Mrs.
You're the best.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Doc, I'm sorry to hear your news,I hope things will get better for you and your wife.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

So sorry you and your wife are going through this hard time.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by marye

Sorry to hear that no good news. Best wishes and best of luck to you and your wife.

Well let me just take this opportunity to say 'thanks for the photos', and meantime, I'm so sorry to hear that your health is going through a rough spot, and your wife's situation sounds even more serious. Much sympathy.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by marye

Doc, sorry to hear about the health issues with you and your wife.
I hope it gets better for the two of you.

user picture

Member for

2 months 4 weeks

Sorry to hear that no good news. Best wishes and best of luck to you and your wife.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sending best wishes your way Doc. There's not much we can do or say but we are thinking of you both in the best of all possible ways.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

Thinking of you and yours, Doc. Heartfelt wishes that your connection to the medical community results in the best possible care in Jville. Though we have never met, special discovering you were an unknown neighbor eons ago here in the land of big green, that we happened to be at Lewiston and maybe Boston shows. Thanks for your devotion and contributions to these boards.

Doc, six years ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer and I rode in a similar horribly difficult sidecar.

Hope for some gentle days ahead for you and yours, and sending healing vibes your way.

"that path is for your steps alone"

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

been sidelined a bit too and just read about this, so sorry to hear of you and your wife's medical woes. Hopefully the VA can help with this and that the bill won't be out of this world. I hope for the very best for both of you. Keep on Keeping on my Florida bro. Get well soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

So sorry to hear bout you and the misses Doc.
Effin cancer cancer cancer, Marsha Marsha Marsha, man it seems to be all we hear these daze. In stead of pissing billions away on space pipe dreams, and tax breaks for uber corporations, how bout we cure cancer and clean up our home we’ve turned into a cesspool!

Be well, and may the music heal!
Our thoughts are with you!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Even though most of us have never met "ForensicDocEleven" in person, your good spirit shines through on these pages year in and year out. Words fail me, but, right now, I'm adding whatever energy I can in hopes you and Mrs. Doc get through this smooth and soon. Onward brother.

Good show OB. Thank you for the recommendation. Great mix. LTGTR, Franklins, Stranger! Nice start. Stagger Lee. Memphis Blues. Really good flow to the first set.
Good second set Playing, Foolish Heart. Always enjoy a Box of Rain encore.

Decided to revisit Ladies and Gentlemen this afternoon. Wow! Bob Matthews and Betty did a great job with these recordings. Is it too late to go back and give us all these Fillmore East shows in a box?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Vguy recommended 3/28 as a POTD awhile ago.
I rehit it for enjoyment and comparison etc

Hit the first six of 84 since, with some 6/24/85 and some of February 74 too.

Thinking 2/27/69 for Doc! Big medicine!

Going to continue with 84 and 89, perhaps try another 94.
I’ll let you know if anything moves me…

Go Niners!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I'm down for some 2 27 69 Big Medicine.

I haven't gotten to 3 28 89 yet but I did hit Miami 74. That Cumberland snuck up on me, great picking and then there are the other highlights that shined just as bright this week and I remembered. The recording might have shot up a notch too.

Big Medicine, which reminds me I go under the knife for my shoulder Friday. My ills do not compare but I will take the Big Medicine offer from the kind people here. Believe it if you need it, right.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay OB. If I only had those 69 shows.

Anyway, decided to go with 6/14/76 from the Beacon Theatre. The June 76 Box still shines.

Enjoy your Superbowl Sunday out there.

Hope your surgery goes well Jim.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I have to hit those 76 shows again.

Funny.. those post haitus releases shook me out of my 68 through 74 comfort zone, there was a period when I just couldn't get enough 80's (and 90's, toss in some 79 for good measure). High octane GD. I hit the Giants box pretty hard but spent some time in 85 (of course), Spring 90 and several shows in 89. I just couldn't get enough.

But hitting Dave's 49 through several listens was a nice aperitif and More 74 broke the spell. They played the WRS>Row Jimmy from DaP 13 on my drive home last night. Icing on the cake.

Grateful Dead, good for what ails (ales) you.

Thanks so much for keeping the spirit going. I'm mostly keeping up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

What's the story with Jerry's F... SUNY t-shirt from the photo in the liner notes? I remember seeing it before but couldn't seem to bring up a story. GD played there going back to 1970? Sounds like some discontent there.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ha, as a proud alumnus of the “fine” institution lol, seems like something a student would come up with? Perhaps it’s as simple as JG thought it was funny, or a student offered it up as a joke? But now of course you went and did it lol, so now we have another mystery for Inspector Lose O!
Damn you fist show! ; )
DV, anything, just ask…
JIM, hope that doc isn’t stingy with the propofol, hear that shommer shit is very
Owey. We will of course be thinking good thoughts, any last, er a, I mean any requests for while your elsewhere? ; )

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For tomorrow?
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Actually on a Fat Tuesday in '86.
For my friend "Swamp" who would always skip class for a week to go back home to N.O. for Mardi Gras.
Cheers
Edit: Is there an official release of this?

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

On your surgery Jim.
Hope all goes well brother!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'm still off work on disability from Legionnaire's Disease, so I'll do 2/11/86 tomorrow.
Don't think there's been an official release, but there's a cassette soundboard patch on the archive.
Uploaded by Jonathan Auizen.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

Hoping for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Rollin!

Went with the HS matrix?

If ya dig 86 I highly recommend 3/24/86…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

What a pleasant surprise! Lively show with a killer start, great set list, and in an unusual order. Was Jerry in one of his "clean" phases? Can't get more authentic on the Iko-Iko than with the Nevilles! And the drums segments (plural) were a treat. It's clear the band was having a great time. What a difference that can make.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Added so much to the second set. Those extra guitar riffs during the second NFA > Hey Bo Diddley > GDTRFB really complemented the boys' playing so well. Let the good times roll!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fun enjoyable show!
HS matrix was good.
I’d call it good, but not RJ: fun, good energy, but a tad sloppy in spots.
JG struggles occasionally I.e., Might as Well. But that isn’t a problem for me…
Think this was first year doing the MG drum thing?
If yer into that, I know I liked the tape I had from 89 of it…
Nice to do something completely different.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Dane County Coliseum
I'm rolling this one today if anyone else wants to?
This was one of the first tapes I acquired back when I first started going to shows on a regular basis.
There's a good matrix on the archive.
Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

But that show MUST be released!
Finished hitting all of 73 last year and I think the first six shows of the year would make a killer box, better than HCS!
Or,
A Great Dane Box, all the remaining Dane shows including the 2 73 reels…
Enjoy, that is a awesome show, RJ for sure!

EDIT: it’s on Dave’s list too, so…

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Happy anniversary Dark Star blip....... Also anyone see Two Towers Documentary on Fall 73 Tours??