• 7,818 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

July 15th Was not too shabby either.

Apparently Hundred_Year_Hall is a reserved word. The Hey Now police striketh me down for mentioning it in this post, well.. because I listened to it today and it kicked ass and thus inspired me. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright infringement for using those words in a posting, no harm done whatsoever. What a waste to build and install such an obtuse infrastructure. What do the head cheese at Rhino do, smoke tons of crack before the board meeting and dream this shit up? Goodness.

Hit the show mentioned above today (on it's birthday!), I could not resist. That Other One is Other Worldly and the transition out of Love_Light is so, so, so good.

• DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

New audio equipment is the best.
Saw your post on "listening to" and you stumped me again. I thought has that not funny OCD Canadian comedian from AGT released an album? Oops not Howie, but Harvey Mandel lol. From John Mayall, Canned Heat and auditioned for the Stones. Not bad creds!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

music and clean sound - simple pleasures that bring a whole lot of happiness. and who can't use more of that these days? not an "audiophile" by any means but its increasingly important to honor those pleasures and make the occasional strategic purchase.

Cristo Redentor was Mandel's first solo album. He had played on Charlie Musselwhite's first album and Musselwhite plays harp on one or two tunes. Only came across it a few years ago. CD I've got is a reissue by Raven that also includes a selection of bonus tracks from a large slice of his career. Title track is pure dreamy late night gorgeous summer of youth - hauntingly beautiful. What I didn't know until now is that Musselwhite covered the tune on his first album and it was signature song he played. just listening to it now, with Mandel playing the guitar line. And its gorgeous (of course).

On a snowy Colorado note a brother reminded me today of when us kids (4 of the 5), along with a couple of brothers from another family (that we've totally lost track of), got to meet Billy Kidd at Steamboat ca. 1972. Billy graciously met with us little squirts (plus the Dads) and signed some swag for us - all gone now - lol. Fortunately still have a handful of faded photographs that our Mom had in an album. A real blast from the past. Looking online - Kidd is still there at Steamboat over 50 years later - very cool to see.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Probably still on K2s, lol.
Those red, white, and blue K2 Fours were the stuff BITD. An incredible racer who defined an era, and a great asset and ambassador for Steamboat.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

An iconic ski for sure. Some interesting photos of retro K2 assemblages/arrays to be seen with an easy search. Not that I skied all that much but I plunked down hard earned money for a pair of long/narrow/stiff Rossis - man, skis back in the day were such a different concept from nowadays and not in a good way for most of us. The Steamboat family history came up because another brother was going to join long time friends to ski there this weekend. That storm(s) put the kabosh on that - one guy arrived early but everybody else near and far got shut down.

Got distracted from Baltimore '77 yesterday so finishing that up this morning.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Going to start DaP 12 & 25 today, maybe a soundtrack for The Players golf tourny, lol.
Never had any K2s but I loved my Dynastars, almost sister company to Rossi. Tried the 2004-07 K2s, loved the Recon, hated the Crossfire. Best ski in '04 was a Rossi Z-5 for me. Carved like a dream, all you had to do was think about turning and they did. I used to find, tune and try lots of vintage skis in the pre-parabolic era and those K2 fours from 1970-72 were awful. I don't know how we ever got better, lol.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Hit it over the weekend in the car 1st Show. The Scarlet was always a little funky when I first listened to it, but it has definitely grown on me over the years. I think the Half Steps in 77 and into spring 78 were fabulous. Just rocking versions that you didn't want to end.

Would have been a fun show to be at. Love the banter.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

After moving along nicely, my 69 project, he’ll all dead, has been grounded.
After 17 years got blindsided by my greedy employer.
Long short pulled my benes so right before I need medical things done they pulled my insurance.
But worst part is how bad its me depressed. Just when things were looking good. “When life looks like easy street…”
So haven’t been able to listen to much and especially no Dead : (

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That's a raw deal Oro. Everything is bottom line nowadays. I had that happen too near the end of my retail career where they made everyone a part-timer so they'd lose benefits even though we were still doing 36-40+ hours a week. Then the SOBs went bankrupt and kept the $1K I had in PDOs and vacation time. Our condolences and maybe someone will pick you up who knows how valuable their workforce is. Spread the word and like me you might just be working for their competitor trying to put them under, lol. "Don't let it bring you down. It's only castles burning.....". Neil Young
Cheers
Edit: Check PM (shortened by the HN police)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

That sucks in so many ways. So sorry to hear this.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by marye

So sorry to hear that man. Very lame.
Hope you can find a new gig with a better outfit.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

sorry to hear about your gig being cancelled, it sucks. It's happening a lot now days, as soon as you get close to retirement age, they boot you and take it all away. This also happened to a friend, 19 years and 1 to go for retirement, terminated on a trumped up charge.

user picture

Member for

11 years

In reply to by PT Barnum

That stinks Oro. I hope they have to offer you cobra, though you would have to start ponying up, it should be at a better rate than out on the street. Perhaps coverage through your spouse? This stuff does happen more and more now, lucky I guess to make it to retirement age and Medicare before my employer started the funny business, of course they knew they could start cutting hours and benefits. Bastids.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

PT, didn’t you get the “treatment” couple years ago?

Technically, they had a right to make me PT as I’ve only been working about 1100-1300 hours a year.
They didn’t outright fire me probably hoping I’ll make it easy on em and just go away. Could use to work at the higher rate for as long as I can stand it, but man it will be awkward.
But due to Covid, long short I had verbal agreement/arrangement with the owner which has worked amazing for four years.
And part of that was that if anything needed to change with my “hybrid” status, that we’d discuss it, like adults, not just send a cowardly email.
So it’s as much the way it went down that’s really lame, especially since nobody’s answered my reply to discuss this, nothing, crickets,
17 years of consistently doing high quality and the hardest shit jobs nobody else wanted, making them tens of millions, which has made me damn near crippled physically, and this is what you get!
And long short, basically it comes down to them perhaps subsidizing a few thousand “unearned” dollars to keep me healthy and happy!
Guess they’d rather spend it on a revolving door of young folks who have no skills, hard work ethic, or care.
Sa la vie. But thanks again, may not have any many other friends, but here on DN, like in Viola Lee, “I gotta friend some where” ; )

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Walked into the beer store and there was a stack of it.
Woo Hoo!
Must be spring.
Tastes mighty fine.
Bring on summer.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Ooof Oroborous that really sucks. And I'm with you 100% on what you said about when life looks like easy street. We know it, we tell ourselves that we know it, but yet we can't help slowly being lulled into a false sense of security.

Sorry to hear this OB. Man. I got laid off a few years back after a 20 year run. Covid didn't help things either, but we do the best we can. Of all the things I have not been able to make whole is the kids college fund, an event that is rapidly approaching. The wheel is turning and you can't slow down, right. We'll find a way though - never give up.

I liked the Viola Lee reference, that's the vibe I like.

user picture

Member for

6 months 3 weeks

...it makes sense that you feel slighted by the owner. wishing you much luck in your search!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

A similar occurrence happened to my eldest son (and his coworker) who were walked off the jobsite (years ago) because they were making the most wage$ of all the laborers at sampson construction, in Lincoln NE. So both were fired without cause. They were not even allowed to retrieve their personal tools!

Radical capitalist extremists are repugnant entities, but are proliferating in modern times, unfortunately. The love and worship of money over all else is a malignant malady/mindset/faith. This belief system is detrimental for all individuals, our society, our culture, and our future.

"One way or another, this darkness got to give."

Good vibes sent your way to help you land in a better spot.

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself."

Once or twice a year I think back to Gordon Gekko. Does anyone remember him from the movie Wall Street?

Greed is good he proclaimed. That never sat right with me, it seems a hollow, selfish gesture that does not give the complete picture when greed runs awry.

Anyway, that movie came out in 1987. There are three shows I really like from that year - 7/24/87, 7/26/87 and perhaps my favorite 9/18/87. I'm going to hit one of these later in the day to try and balance out the greed of Mr. Gekko and the plight of our friend Senor OB.

A wise man once said Greed is a poison that blinds us to what truly matters. Shove that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Gekko

As you were.

You folks gonna make me all verklempt.

Ha, my situation had me recalling that prescient quote you speak of Jim.
I recall realizing that most people are unfortunately gonna miss the real point, which is the opposite, sigh.

But I also thought of a good one for you worrying about the kids future. Lol.
To quote the great Judge Smails “the world needs ditch diggers too Danny” lol
Totally just kidding of course, unfortunately I suffer from a pathology that requires me to become more juvenile and comedic the more dire the situation.
But hey, it usually makes people laugh, so what’s wrong with that!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes, that is it. What did I say, four from the vault? That is wrong. Thanks Jim.

Two great shows from the summer Dylan tour in 87. Making up some of the shows that were cancelled in 86 due to Jerry's coma.
I own the DVD and the CD release.
Tons of Steel brings back memories from summer 87. I miss those days.

Just made it back from Nashville last night. Was there for four days for a family wedding. Fun town. Tons of live music on Broadway Street.

Had the Dead on my phone to get me through the flights.

When will that box set be announced this year?

Be well all.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Great show, I was fortunate to have been there. The Dead played great, seeing Garcia play pedal steel was worth the price of admission.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

You were right up the road from me in Nashville.
My son's Oncologist is in Nashville.
Give me a shout if you ever head this way again.
Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

A tough weight to carry, sending good wishes to you and your son. We've got a bit of that going on in our family too. We are half in denial and half accepting what's to come.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

yeah, I was also mistreated by employer(s) doesn't matter if you are the best at what you do, if the cost of keeping a talented individual outweighs the benefits of keeping that same person, then, everytime, the powers that be will cut you, and sometimes that cut is deep.
Just the other day I was saying to my better half, "work sucks and I don't want to do it anymore". She said, "quit, the world won't end" so I did but not before telling the twit who was the immediate supervisor just what I thought of her. Lazy, stupid and crazy, that's what they picked over a vet who worked ass off. So, I just went in and quit, felt quite good actually. Now, I am officially retired. Time to veg out, relax and smoke em if you got em.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Will do TN John.

Roberts Western World was a cool spot.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Cancer!
Work!
and ESPECIALLY Greedheads!

Good thoughts coming y’all’s way, we are everywhere!

PT, you’ll love this one. So since I’m not fired, just PT, the bastardos try to call me up Friday so I could give them info that would make their life significantly easier lol
I texted next day saying you folks are shameless and “sorry, too busy reassembling my life after the cowardly sucker punch” to worry about helping you
Ok, too much pain and too much sorrow here, (hopefully) won’t be the same tomorrow!
Back to my spring 69 project, should be through February by end today
These short shows are beneficial to major box checking!
ONWARD

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks Jim and Oro!
We've been dealing with this for 10 years now.
Unfortunately, it has become normalized for us.
Daily chemo tablets, and occasional phlebotomies.
We are fortunate compared to some of the other people we see at Ingram Cancer Center.
"Once in a while, you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Vibes to your family as well Jim.
Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Not as much a suggestion as a question.
Is it King Solomon's Marbles or Stronger Than Dirt?
Did 1 From the Vault today and was chasing blues for Allah stuff.
Cheers
Think I'll just do the DaP 18 bonus disc which does not list the Stronger Than Dirt between Playin' and Cosmic Charlie (or the Samson after) even though Deadbase lists it.
Edit - It's more like a stronger than dirt jam but could just as easily be called part of Playin'. Love this disc!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Good idea, I think I will join you in the bonus disc from Dave's 18. It has been a long time.

Then, Dave's #30, 1/2/70.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes lol

Luv me sum 7/76 Orpheum shows!
But

I’m rolling through spring 69, getting into ridiculously good April.
Next stop, the Ark!
Onward!

Cheese and rice John, everyday for ten years!
Not sure how you do it, guess no choice eh?
May the force be with you!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

While you're cruising through the Spring of 69, don't forget to revisit the Ice Palace, it's hot!!! OSF has the reels, release the hounds!!!!

Doc
If architecture is frozen music then music must be liquid architecture.....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's Oro's fault from his challenge to Doc's April '71 posts on the Mars thread. Thinkin' DaP 15 Nashville today. But as Oro said, that's just me.
Cheers

Sounds good 1st Show.

I believe this is the show that Bob says at the end of the first set, "That's it, we quit."

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

in DaP 15 are making me go to DiP 25, an old favorite, next to see the demarcation between the 4-24-78 show and early May run. Clearly the Nashville is in that picture perfect category and had a great flow of up and down tempos. They were working the room like Nashville cats. Next stop, the swaggering '78 sound.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

That April Nashville show is a good one.
I wish they would release the 12/16/78 Nashville show. That was my first show, and would be the last time they played TN until the Pyramid in Memphis on April Fools Day '95.
Good thing I moved to Norfolk, VA in '85, or I might not have been able to see that many shows. Being perched in the middle of the East Coast came in quite handy from a Dead show standpoint.
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

I was at both Pyramid shows.
Had a grate time. Pretty good shows as far as ‘95 goes.
Got my first of two Unbroken Chains.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I'm in on Nashville. The recording on this one wowed everyone when it was released. I think it was Keithfan that raved about the Wharf Rat (I think?).

Moving to Norfolk, I am guessing you caught a few Hampton shows then. I loved that venue and caught a bunch myself starting with 83.

_)____________________
Wow, I can't believe I did not get hay chowed. I'd better play Powerball while my luck is holding.

Saw every show at Hampton from '85 to the end.
Mothership, Spectrum, and Cap Center were my 3 favorite venues for shows.
But to clarify, I'm back in TN now. Moved back here 3 years after Garcia passed.
Hope your shoulder is healing up. I'm still doing therapy on my frozen shoulder.
Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

I'm a little more than six weeks out, so weak and tender but improving. No frozen shoulder so far, I've been working hard to keep movement and working harder on range of motion since a couple days after surgery. So weak and tender but instead of it getting worse, I am seeing improvement. I have been religious about PT, doing everything that I am supposed to do. No less but also no more.

Gradually things are beginning to move towards normal (which is anything but normal).

Dropped four flights and cracked my spine aka what a drag it is getting old.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

How about that Foolish Heart at the 4/1 Pyramid show?
That intro about blew the roof off the Pyramid!
If you ever get back to Memphis, the Pyramid is now a Bass Pro Shops. LOL

Glad you're improving Jim.
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

I haven’t listened to those shows in a long time and don’t recall the Foolish Heart. But that could be because the transition from Victim to Foolish on 6-27-95 was so good (to me) that that is the Foolish I remember from that year.

Too bad SBD’s from 6-27,28-95 aren’t in circulation (last I checked). I have AUD’s.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

Was thinking of Dave's #5 today. I haven't listened to this show in a couple of years. Hey it's November 73.

user picture

Member for

6 months 3 weeks

...a GOOD time for NOV '73

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

I think we have about 90 to 95% totality where I live but I feel compelled to drive a little closer to totality. The last Solar Eclipse I saw was in the late 70's or early 80's. We were instructed to build these lame ass shadow viewers so we would not go blind. So very disappointing. This year we are not expected to have complete sun so I have to drive a bit to get to partially cloudy. I guess I will go, why not?

So whatever you want to listen to tomorrow go for it, but before you decide, consider something with a melodic and meaningful Dark Star to suite this auspicious occasion. I rarely reach for this one, but I am bringing 2/27/69 and just a little extra something to make it interesting even if the sun don't shine.

I decided to stay away from interstates (they will become parking lots) and try to head West from where I live using mostly back roads as the highways are already packed with eclipse travelers. Due West seems to have the least clouds and closest to full totality. It's morel season here now so there's that also. When I look on a map, this logic takes me right past the Fur Peace Ranch, anyone ever heard of that place? I doubt if they let me in, but that's about where I am heading, if the place is locked I have another suitable place about 20 miles Northeast that should work. I figure I can get there and back in time to catch the game tomorrow night.

Seems like a noble adventure, what could possibly go wrong? 2/27/69, a solar eclipse and just enough jungle juice to make it interesting. Who's with me?