• 7,839 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gollum

hey Oro! I'm still here. I'm trying to keep up with you guys but dragging ass again. I missed 10/14/80 but will catch up to it soon. I'm still focused on the 4 released Oct '89 shows. It IS hard to pick a fave they are all so good. Hampton has the best sound for my ears. Phil's bass sounds so rich, I can just imagine it rumbling the walls of the Hampton coliseum. I'll say I prefer all of these shows to Spring 90, for the reasons we've talked about. The band sounds less polished and the jams looser and more psychedelic. I have a sneaking suspicion my favorite might wind up being 10/26, with that mind bending 45 minute Dark Star- Space. I'm still getting acquainted with it!

Ain't it grand that we have all 3 Fall '89 Dark Stars in great sound quality and they are all inspired!

• JimInMD

Great show. I can't say any of the three we are comparing are better than any of the others. Perhaps we are splitting hairs. I am a bit biased, but that aside NFOD has a better mix.

What are we listening to tomorrow? I am going to hit DaP 35 again tonight before I probably put it down for a while. Wouldn't mind setting the wayback.. well, way back.

• icecrmcnkd

Listened to 10-16-89 in the car this week, started Tuesday and since my commute is usually about 20 min each way it took until Thursday to finish the show. Yeah, I didn’t get to listen to it uninterrupted but I have listened to that show many times since getting it when it was released. At that time I was disappointed that they didn’t release 10-9-89, since I already had that on cassette. Of course, when they did release Hampton I was disappointed that I paid $60 for a release that didn’t sound better than the CD-R copies I had.
    Anyway, 10-16 sounds better than Hampton but Hampton has the aura going for it. Both worthy listens in my book.
    Of note, after listening on 10/9 I jumped to 3-15-90 for comparison and that made Hampton seem like training camp, performance and sound quality wise.
    I didn’t make it to Hampton but my friend did and he said that there were tickets taped to the outside doors of the venue and he just grabbed one and walked in. They didn’t tear the ticket as he entered so it is still whole like the one in Oroborous’ picture.

So, I’m ahead of schedule again for an anniversary listen because I’ve got 10-19-73 playing.
    Then I come here and Oro mentions Fall ‘73.....

And Jim mentions stink bombs.....

That board is actually entertaining.

• DeadVikes

I need to check out 10/14/89 Oroborous, so many great shows, so little time, or maybe too much time.

Finished up this wonderful show of 10/16/89. Sound quality is A+ and I have to say for a 2001 release, unbelievably good.

I still will give the slight nod to the Hampton shows, but all three are top notch.

If you don't have NFOD, do yourself a favor and get a copy, they are still cheap on the secondary market.

I guess the Eyes have it based on the sell out speed of Dave's 36.

• JimInMD

Chortled my coffee on that one. Too funny.

Living in Appalachia.., four miles from the WV border.. well, I can say is I run into Mr. Lahey (or a guy just like him) all the time at the corner beer store.

Q: What does a tornado and a redneck divorce have in common?
    A: In the end.. someone is going to lose a trailer.

• The Good Ole G…

Haha, too rich!

Thanks for the laugh fellas.

• Oroborous

Jim, I’m still laughing hours later after going to 36 and then rereading your hilarious but unfortunately accurate description of said stench. Oh if only Jim Lehey was still around to critique and categorize the Winds of Shit that only seem to strengthen with time throughout 2020!

• Oroborous

Though Donna Summer does have many fine tunes, I’m specifically referring to I Feel Love.
    Smoke a fatty, or perhaps just as the trip is starting to take hold, sit dead center with a good system and crank THAT song.....it’s a stoners delight I tell ya, Healy would be proud of all that auto panning goodness, lol......seriously, this tune is sixteen seventies stoned in your room with your black light and posters groovy cool!

Polished Jim, that’s the word. The Hampton shows from my POV are better, say as a concert going DH freak, but as a finished, professionally produced product for market, I think Nightfalls is better. The song list, the flow, tightness,(perhaps their playing more to the recording so a tad safer?), and yes, as good as Hampton sounds, it’s yet another one that frustratingly just doesn’t come through on tape and do the shows justice. We’ve touched on this before about similar feelings with 10/14/83, and 3/27/88 for starters. 10/16 does seem to breath better and is perhaps mastered better? Again, this is probably splitting hairs as all four 89 fall releases sound good, just not the same...
    So big 10/16/89 tonight, need to wait for proper conditions to manifest and align with the flux capacitor etc. Maybe I’ll go for that 84 show, or sometime this WE I’ll have to spin some of that awesome Acoustic Warfield stuff from last year. Still have some killer 74 someone generously sent me to rip and crank, need to find that Dico 78 Dead that was the impetus for this ramble, and probably will start the Spectrum 89 shows to keep on the path....
    Speaking of, spent a couple rotations with 10/15/89 yesterday whilst continuing my Swiss madness in the basement. Another perfectly good 89 show, but it didn’t move me as much as 10/14, which is funny cause that one had to grow on me a bit. Some of it is probably just set lists, but 10/14 seemed to build up nicely overall. 10/15 has some notable tunes for the time; Standing on the Moon, Just a Little Light, Crazy Fingers, Victum, Stella, Box oRain, and even a Far From Me! Like I say, good show, just didn’t flow for me? Probably just me....
    GOLLUM, you still along for this ride? What say you old chap? And I think Jim needs to fire up the Deer and head back to fall 73 as we appear to have lost ole Bluecorn chasing some minx in the parking lot after the Syracuse show???
    Ok, ONWARD!

• bob t

Good call for today!! Just got done biking. Trees here in Rhode Island are looking like the cover of Dick's Pick that has the Landover and Syracuse September 76 shows!! We'll see summer come again.... Feel ambitious also am going to put on the LSU birthday show after from 77... enjoy the weekend everyone Bob t

• The Good Ole G…

Happy Birthday Bob!

Been hearing some great music this week.

After the deep dive into 10/14/80 on Wednesday (great tape with a couple small issues & the audience recording is real nice too, overall not too shabby for a bootleg!) Thursday's Deadcast presented us with a deep dive into the Warfield shows.

Serendipity?

That episode was fascinating, and the supplementary material is highly recommended. I believe based on some quick sleuthing that the live footage in the mini-doc seems to be from 10/13/80, as they show footage of an Around And Around > Johnny B. Goode as well as The Other One and all those tunes were played on 10/13. Plus from the sounds of things, the filming took place more towards the end of the run based on Bill Graham's decision to document the occasion. Well done Mr. Graham! And Mr. Jarnow!

Bounced from that to 10/15/84, which is a personal favorite. I love October '84. The PITB on this show is real good, and Jerry's furious fanning burst in Wharf Rat gives me a smile every time. Good stuff and again I have to give some props to the Audience recording by Rick Pauline, it's a really great capture.

Add in the newly released American Beauty The Angel's Share outtakes which are amazing.
    DaP V36 Announcement of Dave's First & Charlie Miller's favorite '87 show. (Note: CM mentions that he really likes 3/26/87, so I don't wanna presume too much)
    Some killer Garcia interviews from '81 & '83.
    Damn it was a Grateful Day!

Today as you all venture forth into a Nightfall of Diamonds, I've noticed some cosmic 1981 nods.
    Jam of the Week has a little bit of 5/2/81 which is sounding real nice and our good pal Bolo mentioned 3/28/81 on the DaP V36 forum. Speaking of... lil bit dicey over there.

Alright, lots to listen too!
    Shall we go, you and I, while we can?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

That one

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

....that is a good one. Been a while since I've played it. Hopping on that bus tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I’m on it, that will go good with morning coffee tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Man I dug those two shows!

I agree with OTIS, It's not so much Highlights as it is the Whole Trip .

For both nights.

I think I enjoyed 9/28/76 even more... coulda been the time of day it played as it is 4/20 after all.

Two comments:
Missing Bertha from 9/28/76 would make killer filler somewhere.. (hint, hint Lemieux)
The 9/28/76 Set 2 "Jam" tracks ("Jam", "Orange Wango Tango Jam") seem more like continuations on the PITB theme, anybody else hearing that?

If listed as such it makes that set look even greater on paper:
PITB > Wheel > Samson > PITB > Comes A Time > Drums > Eyes > PITB > Dancin' > PITB. Johnny B. Goode

GREAT Set either way you slice it, but.. that's what I was hearing and I love it when they weave in and out of a theme throughout a set like that. GREAT PICK!

I thought I had that JGB for a second, dug through the garage, but it's the Almost Acoustic from '88.

I found a few tracks on YouTube, so I'll kinda follow along and will look for the feedback.

I plan on doing an anniversary trip through 4/21/84, and maybe 4/20 & 4/19 too. Goin' back to Philly!

Happy 4/20

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I've been really, ridiculously busy.. but I did finish Dicks Picks 18. Am I late to the party?

I will add.. I liked the Scarlet Fire so much, but it just didn't scratch the itch well enough. Perhaps it was the recording, perhaps, well.. it was missing some relevancy so I did a side-by-side comparison to the one from Dave's Picks 8, 11/30/80 Fox Theatre, Hot Lanta. Man.. that totally hit the spot. and the recording, to my ears at least, sparkled, which is amazing because half of it came from an audience master (thanks Dr. Bob!! bow of the head, tip of the glass.. much appreciatto).

So what's next? I guess I will have to read the last 18 pages since this one was mentioned.

Hoping to have some more free time soon.. perhaps I won't get so far behind.

Drinking an excellent bottle of red, and getting ready to put on some tunes? JGB? The best palate cleanser. Good golly miss molly.. I think I missed a lot here.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Man.. great to see these shows get some love. Perhaps it was because it was back in the Dicks Picks days, when any release was a treasure trove of new and undiscovered magic.. I believe this release predates soundboard copies on Archive.org.. all this was new, but to the meat.. you have to add Jerry's guitar work during supplication as a high point. Crank it to 11, he shreds it and for the mellow vibe of 76, it's worth a listen.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bolo24

Fall 76! I remember the first time I heard the Cosmic Charlie out of Dancing and thought wow, 76 is really good. Still true today. Love the Sugaree, just a solid show throughout. The whole show is really smoking, solid finish.

Great choice WilfredTJones.

Stay well folks!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I haven't played it this week, but I just thought I'd chip in to say its my favourite 1976 show, and has been since whenever it came out.

Morning!

Waiting for A Miracle seems like such a relevant tune today.

Man, I know I’ve got this JGB CD somewhere.. or had it, but if I had it I woulda kept it. So.. hmm.

Feel ya BOBT them Dylan tunes are what I wanted to hear most. Found around 6 of these songs on YouTube but not that one.

VGUY yeah, you’re right I should prob get Spotify.. can I handle/afford 1 more sub in my life… I gotta think about that, meaning procrastinate longer until the next time:)

Anyhow, what I’m hearing is sounding GREAT, and real nice playing by Jerry.. Dear Prudence solo is sounding real good, sick drum fills too. I had this back in the day…

I’m gonna trip on over to the April 1984 Philly run per OTIS mention.

Have Fun today and Be Well!

Like others have mentioned.. the Dylan stuff shines for me, add in Dear Prudence, which blew me away the first time I listened to this version.. But my favorite cut of the album is Lucky Old Sun. and talk about a karma lift.. My Sisters and Brothers.

...definitely changed me. It came out at a time when I was also getting fully into the GD; these versions became staples against which all other versions were judged (I know we ALL do this from time to time...).

The Simple Twist of Fate is a definite favorite here as far as the covers. But my favorite of them all is I Shall Be Released. (right on VGuy)
Jerry's vocals are so heartfelt; sounding nearly broken at times, offset by his absolutely WAILING solos, especially that final one....total chills up the spine every time. When shit like that happens, you know it touches a deep part of your innards.

A++ for this release

Sixtus

P.S. Bolo Contest chin scratching commencing

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yeah, definitely a game changer! I too was just really getting into the Dead, and when I got that CD (a year or two after it was released,) it cemented for me that Jerry was going to become my all-time favorite guitar player. In addition, as a big Dylan fan, it has so many great takes of his tunes, and it was Jerry's voice - fragile, sensitive, warm, - that totally sold me (still does.) The big highlight for me (though I LOVE every track) has always been "Senor." Makes me stand up and take notice, every time. Jerry's delivery and playing on that one... holy guacamole!

Oh, and "My Sisters and My Brothers." That song became a mantra for me in high school, and I think I am a better man for it now.

Great pick Bolo!

Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

Good pick Bolo.
On Lucky Old Sun now, all songs so far have been hitting the spot. Love the tone of Jerry’s guitar.

Don’t want to do any overkill today, but later this week I’m also going to spin the other compilation releases How Sweet It Is.... and Shining Star.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

On sale now.

Nice bonus disc!

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Dusted off some classic releases a few weeks ago

~ Box of Rain ~ Fallout from the PhilZone+ Jerry Garcia Band double disc with John Kahn cover artwork.

Cool graphics and pics on the CDs and booklet

Hundred Year Hall + Don't Let Go

Dicks Picks 4 , 11 , 13 , 18 have been in my car for months.

China -> Rider -> China Doll from 12.29.77 is real nice

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Playing at home when i can - we've had sweet spring weather and been spending time in the garden and reveling in the real world outdoors. Bolo - great to hear things turned corner for better with friends and loved ones - scary times.

In the end caught some of these picks, missed a couple others, I'll get to 'em eventually, plus a few non-pick-of the-day musical detours. One detour that's been on repeated repeat is the '91 JGB show from Electric on the Eel. Love it love it love it! Been meaning to bring it up, its a big beautiful dose of carefree big smile summer fun. Cool to have Bolo rec the '91 JGB live release (Deal now.) This release got a lot of mileage back in the day, but its been long while. One song that stood out back then was Senor - totally unfamiliar to me as a Dylan or JGB song, super eerie and powerful. General later JGB thought - Melvin Seals organ playing is a freaking force of nature.

Finished Landover 9/25/76 this morning - awesome show, years since i last listened. That second set is out of this world! And somehow I'd totally lost track of how great 12/2/73 was - oh my goodness. That '83 Santa Fe show is like a train about to jump the tracks. On a non-pick-of-the-day closing note - had a delightful late evening with those 2 October '80 Warfield acoustic sets released last year.

Opening notes of Senor . . . .

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

For what it's worth, of the three JGB compilations, most of the time I prefer this one. Perhaps at least partially due to nostalgia..

We more or less got Without a Net and then a year later Jerry Garcia Band (Live) within a year.. and before that there was a dearth of officially released live material going back a number of years. ..and if you were seeing shows, one couldn't help but notice how much better and more consistent the live performances were. It was a good time for all things Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

4 years

So I just found this thread and am listening to the '91 JGB show. I'll write a full opinion review when I'm done with the album, but dang I had to say that was a GRATE jam in "The Way you do the things you do"!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

JGB 91, coming to a rocking close. What a fine release!

Have I missed Bolo's clue? Was it his post "Yeah - That one"? If so, that's a tough clue (or is it?) :)

So, what's on tap for tomorrow, folks? I've really been enjoying the picks so far!

Also, Good Ole Grateful... did you make it to Philly 84 yesterday? I really loved that 4/20 show - amazing Let it Grow, great Scarlet>Fire, overall fun two sets and I thought a really great sounding AUD. Also, that may be the best Esau I've heard - at least I can't recall a better one :)

Peace

EDIT: I now see that I posted my question about Bolo's clue at 11:48 PST, not 12 noon. My ability to do simple math seems to be slipping...

user picture

Member for

4 years

In reply to by Vguy72

Nice to meet everyone! Y'all rock and this platform is amazing!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Time for America’s favorite game show, “Name That Grateful Dead Concert!”

Please read carefully: Following this post, a clue will appear that can be EASILY deciphered to reveal a particular Grateful Dead concert. To win the contest and receive some groovy and valuable Grateful Dead items (TBD), simply send me a PM with your guess of the date and venue of the concert. Also, you must include how you determined your guess, i.e., show your work! No work shown = no entry!

Do not post your guess on this forum as it won’t count. Earliest PM with the correct answer wins. And only one entry per screen name, so take your time to make sure your guess has merit as multiple guesses will be ignored. Screen names must pre-date the time stamp of this post.

Have fun with this, celebrate Dave’s 34 release, have a beer (or whatever), blow off some steam, turn off the TV, get some fresh air. Call your parent(s) and tell them you love them (if applicable).

Clue to follow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

....oops. hope no one saw that. Lol

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by bolo24

So the Clue is = "Foot"?
Or = "Fixable Foot"?

Not sure clarification will help me here, but.. figured it was worth a shot.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Haven't listened to that Jerry release in a long time. Have it since it came out played it many times. We need more Jerry releases.

9/25: Started nice the rest of set 1 was okay. Set 2 Dancin' picks it up nice! Scarlet. Stephen> NFA> Drums>Jam> Stephen>Sugar Mag great!!

9/28: Have this one marked as an all-timer. Big River was nice Cassidy too this whole first set was excellent. Set 2 Playin' sandwich Awesome!!

Can hear '77 a comin'.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by mbarilla

Dave's Picks 34 with bonus disc and the box set should arrive about the same day.

Dave LSD you got one more job this year. fire up a 1984 show for release and include 7.13.84 second set with encore

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

What's on tap for tomorrow?

Anybody get it right Bolo?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by mhammond12

I thought I had it... and got my reply

"missed it by that much"

Himey, kill the light.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Got nothin' on Fixable Foot

As for Tomorrow..
4/22/66 Trips Festival (I gotta trip through that:)
4/22/77 is looking like it should be listened too.. not official release though
4/22/78 DaP V15 is official though
4/22/79 Brent's First show might need some honoring

Just a few anniversary date themed thoughts in that regard.

Super curious about the fixable foot...

OTIS - I finished up 4/20/84 & 4/21/84.. they both had their '84 charm.. I'd say for me the highlight was that Slipknot! on 4/21/84... that's definitely worth a listen, dug the PITB too and Stranger from 4/20. Thanks for the reminder!

Gonna try and get 4/21/69 in today... but it might not happen, Hard To Handle with Jerry on Slide.. so far it's weird:)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

....its an anniversary and official. On it. Righteous Wharf Rat on that one.
Also Brent's first show by date. Hmmm. People? We need to decide. Vote?
I think I have the right show, but bolo hasn't responded. This is good?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Only a handful of guesses, so not much interest apparently. I'll give it another day to see if anyone gets inspired and claims some really good free stuff.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by bolo24

Interested!

Just stumped any secondary clues?

Fixable Foot.. that just.. I got nothin'

user picture

Member for

4 years

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

My suggestion:
So there is a great Jerry solo show from ‘82 that I’m obsessed with. He’s on acoustic and it’s amazing (4/10/82).
https://youtu.be/vMHXMRd1KTI

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gr8fulgal77

....check your pm. I did my homework. I'm inspired.
And if I'm wrong, I'm out.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Sound like a good choice GOGD and Vguy. I am on it tomorrow.

Bolo, I am very interested, just do not have a clue.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

'Fixable Foot' I have no idea but will give it a guess.