• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

agreed - Man Smart is a fun ride. Always good for a jam, and this one rocks. Anyone else notice how the pace on Sugaree in the last verse and chorus is inconsistent, with factions trying unsuccessfully to pull it in different directions? It definitely wobbles, but it works - adds character. Raking leaves with RFK rockin' the headphones. So far I like it a lot - Reminds me of the impressive RT '88 shows (3/30 and 4/1/88) in terms of that late '80's "full-band sound", consistent execution - but in '89 they're a little more polished - especially Jerry. The mix is so uncluttered, and they're playing so well that you can HEAR them responding to each other from moment to moment. Fun listening.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....can't argue with that. Perfect mix. Liking the MIDI "clap" effects that Billy/Mickey throw out there during Eyes. Fun indeed. I recall those MIDI "claps" very well live. Who is this band and why do they keep following me, even now?....1989 was my most attended year. I will wait patiently for a Cal Expo box. Grate run worthy of release....
user picture

Member for

17 years

Already commented on the high energy renditions of Touch of Grey and an all time great Minglewood from 7/12/89. Here's my song by song take.... Missippi Half-Step - continuation of the high energy from Touch and Minglewood. The band is clearly on and feeling good. Inspired performance. Brent's embellishments are spot on perfect. Tom Thumb Blues - fairly stndard, but well played. Phil was definitely "on" this night, as was everybody. Far From Me - Brent proving himself to be an integral part of the Dead. He was channeling some dark emotions, but keeping it real at the same time. Life isn't always unicorns ands rainbows, and sometimes the most inspired performances come from "real life" emotions. As much as love, happiness and joy evoke inspired music, some of the most effective songs are born out of pain. It doesn't get much more real than that. Mad respect for Brent. Cassidy - Energy level has only increased by this point into this high energy show. Anyone catch the song Weir quotes at the beginning of the main solo section....nah...hah/nah/nah/nah...nah/nah/nah nah...nah-nah-nah...nah-nah-nah...? Cool stuff. A solid performace. The version from Without a Net (12/9/89 Forum) is the definitive electric released performance. FOTD - Despite Bob coming in a little early on the chorus, it's evident that the Dead are performing every song to near perfection. They were like a well oiled machine by '89. You have to go back to May '77 and '72 to find this level of consistency. I like Brent's choice of sound that begins with his solo. Usually he would implement a violin sound. Here he uses a saxophone patch. Cool stuff right there. Jerry's solo shines as well. Also of note, Jerry is in near perfect voice. Promised Land - This song had been such a standard in their setlists, that they usually performed it well, even in their off years. This version is a typically nice capper to what feels like too short of a first set. They were playing so well at this point in their career, that the songs breeze by. So far, I've found nothing to make me feel like they were dragging, or in "dirge" mode. High energy. Onto the second set... Sugaree - Back in the day, I used to say, "Oh no, there's that darn accordian again". I attended the Buckeye Lake show the previous summer in '88, so got to see the first Horsby accordian sit in. Now-a-days, I think the accordian actually added a nice different texture. Suprised Bruce didn't bust it out on Bob's cowboy/polka numbers more often. The '88 Buckeye Lake version still had that brand new accordian smell to it, where this version is executed as if it were pre-recorded, they are so tight. I loved seeing this song live, and this version makes me miss Jerry (and Brent) all that much more. Women Are Smarter - Hearing Bruce on the keys with Brent on the organ together, makes me imagine if Brent had survived, and Bruce were added as a second keyboardist, the two of them together pushed this so far over-the-top, that this becomes definitive by proxy. For this moment in their history, this two-keyboards approach is a true few minutes of magic may be the best "two-keyboardist" bit of music from the Dead's entire 30 year touring career. You'll never find a Pigpen/Constantan, Pigpen/Keith or Vince/Bruce moment that comes remotely close to how awesome this is. I only wish this track would have been mixed with the Key's in the right channel and organ in left channel. If you're not listening in headphones, like I am now, this doesn't matter much. Just my opinion of course. Ship of Fools - For some reason, the dead really seemed to dig deep into this song during the '89 Summer tour. This version is no different. played with precision and emotion. Estimated - Every version performed in '89 was stellar, and this one is no different. Eyes - Much like Estimated, another great version. I think my favorite estimated > Eyes combo from summer '89 might be 6/21/89 Shoreline. Watched the original "pay per view" broadcast, but these are also awesome. Like others, I welcomed the funky versions that began with Knickerbocker 3/25/90, and of course, that all time version with Branford. The uptempo ones from '89 will still quite epic. Another reminder of how much I miss Summer tours with Jerry. Nice little jam at the end of this 7/12 version. Drums - One thing I really liked about the '89 drums segments are how Bill and Mickey would switch up their approaches from show to show. Some shows they would approach with a more traditional drum solo with their trap kits. Other shows would be heavy sonic exploartions with the MIDI trigger pads, while other times they would expore a variet of hand drums that originate from ancient, and even prehisoric cultures. Of course the Beam comes in and we get a "Holy fucking shit!" from Bill. Nice. I remember that from the Meet-up showing. Space - One thing I wish would have translated onto tape were the surround sound effects from the '80s. I remember vididly how sound would bounce around between the front of house p.a. speakers and the repeater towers of speakers further back around the crowd. Dan Healy would control this with joysticks where he could mover any sound around an arena. I saw Pink Floyd do this at the one concert of theirs I caught in '94 (which happened to be the first complete Dark Side of the Moon performance since '76 or '77). I caught the Dead in Spring '89 for what would be among the final pre-MIDI Space segments, then caught them (first on the 6/21 PPV broadcast) at Alpine. '89 through '90 saw some major evolution/changes for the Dead. It was a great time to go to shows (except for Brent dying of course). Miracle - Nice solid version. Short, well played. Average. I really dig the 3/14/90 Cap Center version. Jerry treally digs in deep on that one. Mr. Fantasy - Awesome version. Jerry fully jumps right in on his solos and kills them. Another song that soared in '89, and this one follows suit. Another track that alone makes this set worth the price of admission. Black Peter - I always welcome this song in any setlist. Amazing how well the bands dynamics on this aren't hindered by the fact that it was performed in a massive sports stadium. The subtleties are impeccable. Lovelight - Coming out of Black Peter, it's always nice when a show ends on a bluesy/R&B note. Sure, it's not like the monsters from '70, that could strech for over a half hour, but it still captures some essence from that. Like Goof Lovin', there was ony one Pigpen to sing it. Of course every version that came after would never be the same without him.It's cool that they would still pay a tribute to him by performing these all the way up until the end. Black Muddy River - One of the last of the truly great Garcia/Hunter ballads (along with Standing on the Moon and Days Between), and this one delivers. Overall, the first show is a winner. Sounds awesome. Well performed. Inspired. More of these please! Now onto 7/13/89...
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok, I pretty much am a member of the 70's mafia, but this show just got put on youtube,and the sound quality is incredible for even a 24 track show. https://youtu.be/FrEjD2w7BdU
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Once again these CD’s were mastered as if they were cassette tapes: Drums ends, Space starts, after about 10 seconds Space fades out, fast forward to the end of side A, flip tape, press play, relisten to end of Drums, Space starts.... Don’t Dave and Jeff realize how stupid that sounds when listening on a portable music player, or even when using a CD changer? Here’s what I did using Toast 15, which is basic compared to something like Audacity, but it works. I didn’t compare waveforms, just listened to it and it sounded good to my ears. 12th Drums stop 09:14:00 Space start 00:18:00 crossfade 00:00:30 13th Drums stop 08:03:00 Space start 00:23:00 crossfade 00:00:30 I don’t have to do that with Charlie Miller shows......
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Doesn't hold a candle to the 70s Dead, but Space is in wet dreamville with Brent, so we can be happy for that. It's the best ever right Space? Wooopppeee, Spacebrother says that Hammond is all we need!!! Huge line at the Kid Rock store!
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Yeah I'm with you on this. I love the "mini box" format. Like you said, it allows the production to be the best quality and results in a product that's affordable for most. I'd totally be on board for 3-4 of these a year. This sounds INCREDIBLE. I'm so glad I bought this. The booklet is high quality, as is the packaging. Well done, Dead people!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....yeah. 80's Dead is a different animal than 70's Dead. We all know that. Then why, lovejerry, do you feel the need to re-stoke the fire? Guess it gets you off somehow. I don't understand....
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That someone who loves Jerry would love all Jerry...Apparently not. He sounds pretty good to me on this release.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Love Jerry and SpaceBro are dating again. I hope I get an invite to the wedding. DSO agreed to do the music, but they are having a difficult time deciding what show they are going to play for such an auspicious occasion...
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

Nice write up :) 7/13 is even better (In my Humble Opinion..) The 1st set on that one is my favorite of the bunch on first go-through. Who pissed in LoveJerry's Cheerios? C'mon, someone's gotta fess up... Peace
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Space recommended 10/31/80 and the fireworks began. In her defense.. she always dreamed of getting married to 6/10/73. It's going to be a long week.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Sign me up for the prenup. ;) If Kid Rock isn't to your liking, there's always Nickleback.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Someone mentioned the other day about splitting collections during divorce proceedings. In this case it would be an easy split between 78-79.
user picture

Member for

9 years

A very detailed review, thanks for posting.I really like the box, I hope all future "small box" releases follows this format. Those multitracks sound fantastic, they do have overlap fades, like people still listen to CDs and need to be reminded the band didn't stop before the media ran out. It's played well, all of Summer 89 was, but this box has the set lists laggards I find hard to get psyched about. Out of the whole Summer 89 tour this was the 2 shows I wanted released the least. On the good side it means all the other multitrack boxes from the tour will be better from now on, because I will buy them all. The Meet Up at the Movie of the 12th was a lot of fun, mainly due to the interaction of Jerry and Brent captured by the cameras. Without the visuals, it's just a well played and recorded run at the end of the old set lists and before the Fall 89 tour when they broke out a bunch of older stuff to freshen up the stale set lists from summer. I look forward to your review of the 13th.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

My position is simple. I'm not going to sit back while Spacebrother continues his pattern of abuse toward anyone who doesn't care of the 80s. He did okay for awhile and I was quiet. But then he offered this zinger last week (and I quote Spacebrother): "It's the "Deader than thou" folks who won't pony up for this. It's cheaper than the cost of the Dave's Picks subscription for crying out loud. Great multi-track recordings of a couple of great shows from one of the bands geatest tours. Why would active music purchasing Deadheads pass on such a generous treat? If so-called fans listen to that Let It Grow from the Listening Party, and still pass on this, they might as well quit listening to the Dead all together and sell or trade their collections for Kid Rock albums. That's about as lame as they are." So, in Spacebrother's own words, if you don't like the 80s, he attacks people in mass. He makes it clear that he holds you in contempt, and he speaks to you with condescension. You've been stamped with unflattering labels by Spacebrother: "Deader Than Thou", "so-called fans", "lame", etc. This is unacceptable, because these are personal comments toward a very large group of dead.net participants who don't share Spacebrother's enthusiasm for the 80s. Until Spacebrother apologizes, I will continue to call him out on his social offenses, and demand civilized discourse. I will no longer suppress my personal feelings about the 80s Dead, which I have been doing for many months after a talk with JimInMD. I am sorry to others besides Spacebrother who don't like my commentary on the 80s Dead, but it's just how I feel, and how many others here feel (I have an Inbox full of PMs from people who are also tired of Spacebrother's unchecked behavior, and who support me in my effort to hold him accountable). Spacebrother is finished running amok here. If Space, you apologize to the room for your comments which I've copy/pasted here, I will consider it a fresh start. You almost got there for awhile, but as has been typical for you've reverted to your old ways, which is what happened here with your comment about all of us "lame" people.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Glad he's happy and love his passion. If you don't like the 80s, why are you in a thread about 89 rfk to begin with?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....you kinda sound like me when I saw the Dead play Black Muddy River for an encore three shows in a row. Kinda....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Midnight cafe has a free download of 4/7/85 at the Spectrum. With Why Don't We Do It In The Road and a Keep Your Day Job encore. I'm a woefully stuck in the sixties GD kind of guy, but I'm happy to see others find enjoyment in any Dead year. Grateful Dead April 7, 1985 The Spectrum Philadelphia, PA Download: FLAC/MP3 This is a flac encoded & tagged version of shnid: 3346 SOURCE: CSBD>DAT>CDR>EAC>SHN(non-seekable) Seed Shns by Scott Z — Thanks! Seeded to etree by darrin (dnsacks@usa.net) on 2/14/2001 –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – Why Don’t We Do It in the Road 102-d1t02 – Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo 103-d1t03 – CC Rider 104-d1t04 – Bird Song 105-d1t05 – Dancin’ in the Streets 106-d1t06 – Deal –Set 2– 201-d1t07 – Shakedown Street -> 202-d1t08 – Samson & Delilah 203-d2t01 – She Belongs to Me -> 204-d2t02 – Man Samrt (Woman Are Smarter) -> 205-d2t03 – Drums -> 206-d2t04 – Space -> 207-d2t05 – Gimme Some Lovin’ -> 208-d2t06 – Truckin’ -> 209-d2t07 – Smokestack Lightnin’ -> 210-d2t08 – Morning Dew -> 211-d2t09 – Sugar Magnolia –Encore– 212-d2t10 – Keep Your Day Job Enjoy! https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/11/13/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu…
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

So-and-so needs to apologize? So much drama. I got my popcorn and my foldy chair. This is just too good.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

This is not my favorite period for the Dead but the RFK concerts are really strong. The cuts with Hornsby are real treats.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Well, for the 3rd time in the last five releases (30 Trips, Get Shown the Light, and now this) I have defective discs. Disc 3 of night one has some yellow crud on it that I cannot get off even with repeated uses of Disc Doctor. Really loving that you can no longer talk to a customer service rep. How is it that I never have issues with any of the Dave's Picks, but all these special archival releases are screwed up? Anyone else or am I just special?
user picture

Member for

17 years

Quick review... Hell in a Bucket - Like the previous night, the second show begins with high energy. Phil drops that little Dark Star tease before launching into HIAB, and the crowd erupts. Of course, Jerry's just ripping the solos throughout like he's on a mission. The mix on this is incredible. Every element is perfectly audible and big sounding. Phat. Makes me yearn for the return of summer and cranking this up outdoors. Cold Rain and Snow - Always a welcome song, and in the secong first set slot. A double opener. A good sign of a great show ahead. Again, the B3 sounds awesome in the mix. Always a most natural fit with the Dead's sound, going back to their roots. Soulful. Little Red Rooster - Nice solid version of this. The crowd very audibly erupts when Brent takes his vocal turn and solo. He may have been in a lot of emotional pain, but in turn, his performances come from a very "real" place. Sometimes the most inspired art comes from pain and heartache. The expression of emotion through art is very powerful, and it really pushed the whole band to dig in deeper here. Tennessee Jed - In comes Bruce. Top notch reading of a classic favorite. This is about the point the stereo gets cranked up, and who cares what the neighbors think. Bruce's back-up vocal contributions round out an aleady big vocal harmony. When I first saw Bruce sit in with the Dead at Buckeye Lake in '88, I was familiar with his music, but was somewhat on the fence with him at the time. After that experience at Buckeye Lake, I was sold on him. A natural and great fit with the Dead and perfect successor to Brent. Stuck Inside of Mobile - They did this one at Buckeye Lake with Bruce the previous summer, and it worked well there, as it does here. This is a typically solid version. To Lay Me Down - This song had become increasingly rare in the setlists by this point into their career, so anytime they broke it out was a special treat, and this version is beautifully executed. This recording captures the subtleties and nuances beatifully. No small feat considering this happened in a massive sports stadium in front of a massive crowd. Another case of "this song alone makes the set worth the price of admission". Let It Grow - Epic. The clarity and fullness of this recording blows my mind. This is one of those versions that gradually builds up into this total beast. By the time the get into the solo section out of the "Rise and Fall" line, Jerry just unleases the beast and Brent chases him around nicely. They then settle into a nice groove on the key change for a while before coming in for the last vocals, then the final jam before the set break. "We'll be back in just a little bit." ~ Bob He's Gone - Extremely rare for this as a set opener in any era, and this version jumps right in. Awesome version. Looks Like Rain - Another well performed song where the clarity of the mix reveals the subtleties and nuances nicely. A perfect version of LLR. Terrapin - The perfect song choice to follow He's Gone > LLR, and this performance is typically awesome for '89, where every version was equally epic. The natural direction for this song to evolve into is when they started adding the "jam" to the end of it during the Spring '90 tour. An area where the Dead clearly evolved for the better. Jerry is clearly engaged to the fullest capacity and inspired. His closing solo is a monster. Drums - The first nights Drums started off as a more traditional drum solo leading into the beam. The second night goes into a more sonically explorative percussion jam complete with loops, trigger pad, delay/reverb effects. More of a psychedelic approach. They do add in some hand drums (talking drums) for good measure. Has to be heard. They pull out all the stops. The "Beam" sounds particularly nice on these recordings. Space - Some hints and teases of The Other One leading into Brent doing an almost Bruce Horsby inspired intro into I Will Take You Home, making this a unique performance. I Will Take You Home - Interesting how Brent could go from expressing his pain through sound, then to something as tender as this song. He was a musical genius. The Other One - This performance rolls in like an oncoming thunderstorm that establishes the groove, then explodes into a cataclysmic onslaught. Jerry doesn't hold back one bit either. Awesome. The sonic dance between Jerry and Brent is something to behold. Wharf Rat - A nice reading of a classic favorite. Jerry kills it. Brent on the B3 pours out of the speakers like a ray of gospel flavored sunshine on a summer day. Another powerful moment that benefits from a mix that reveals more subtleties and nuances (words of the day I guess). Throwing Stones - A nice reading of this often played song. A couple of spots where Bob hesitates. The sound of the crowd response eads me to believe something must have been going on in the moment. SAt this point, it's a party. Good Lovin' - A rare choice out of Throwing Stones, which was usually NFA. Like with throwing Stones, at this point it's a party. US Blues - As strong as a version as one could hope for to close out a strong show. Jerry once again kills it. Note - Bob sounded like he had some tuning issues during Hell In a Bucket and the first couple of notes he played on Cold Rain and Snow, which he immediately fixed. All in all, a strong two show run during a peak period for the band. I will get a lot of mileage out of these. Thanks again Dave, Norman and everybody else at Rhino and employed by the Dead to bring these out. When does the full Alpine run get released on CD?! This review has been brought to you courtesy of Kid Rock, Nickleback and Katy Perry's left shark.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Thanks for the great write-up... love the great enthusiasm.I’m a fan of all eras - these shows surprised me. Set lists look average but i’m loving them so far - a lot more than I thought I would!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I'm a fan of all era's too.. I think this set defines the term Full Norman. I really appreciate it when they pull out all the stops restoring this stuff, making it sound as good as it can be. Does anyone remember the liner notes from Two From the Vault? "The concert was recorded on a then-state-of-the-art, one-inch 8-track tape machine that was supplied by the band's record label, Warner Bros. The record company also insisted on supplying engineers who turned out to be unfamiliar with the close miking technique involved in recording rock music. Consequently, each of the eight tracks contained significant leakage from all of the other instruments in the band, resulting in severe phase cancellation problems. Almost twenty-four years later, Don Pearson and producer Dan Healy solved this problem by employing a B&K 2032 Fast Fourier transform (FFT) digital spectrum analyzer to measure the delay in time between the different microphones, using the track of bassist Phil Lesh as the time centerpiece. The delay times were fed into a TC1280 stereo digital delay, which, along with careful mixing, resulted in a nearly perfect stereo image." I get giddy when they go the extra mile. Like the stand-out job on Two From the Vault, This re-master does the music justice, almost exactly perfect.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

ITunes will do it.. it's a free download if you don't have it loaded. To burn.. create a playlist, put a discs worth of songs on the playlist.. right click the playlist and select Burn To Disc. For GD there is a setting that MUST be selected.. it's called something like Gap Between Songs or something similar.. just select None. Oh.. you would have to import the shows into ITunes. For that.. select File / Add Folder to Library and assuming you have one show per folder, it imports the whole show.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Thanks Jim, I will try that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Has anyone tried purchasing/downloading the FLAC files? I plan on buying them but I'm waiting a bit in the hope that the process will be painless. It looks like a nice compact box but I've decided to minimize the physical "stuff" in my life. Edit ... "duh". Someone a few posts ago said they bought the download. I guess I'll go ahead and give it a try.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I and many others had a defective CD3 on DaP24.I also had a defective 5-5-77 CD2. So, you are not alone. Best to email Dr. Rhino. drrhino@wmgcustomerservice.com
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

You had me at Fourier Transform.....
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I dont appreciate Spacebrother's "if you don't like the 80s then you're a lame ass" attitude around here. He states his opinions as if their facts, and then gets nasty with people who don't agree. No class whatsoever. I believe anyone who makes the kinds of globally offensive remarks reposted by LoveJerry should be moderated off the site.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

You can’t burn Apple Lossless (ALAC) to CD, you must first convert to WAV (PC) or AIFF (Mac), then burn those to CD.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

It worked after I installed iTunes as Jim recommended, I assume iTunes did the conversion. Thanks for the tip though.
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

Have not had time to fully engage as yet, but wife (love her) went out to dinner with a friend and this thing is now filling my living room with immense sound. I agree with an earlier poster that if you just unleash the Full Norman on these ancient tapes, modern glory will result. Give him an impossible deadline (E72 box) and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will be squandered. Stop that -- don't get me started! All of the Summer '89 releases thus far have been fab, and this one of course fits right in. I'm not often in the mood for post-70s Dead, but right now I am, and this huge sonic barrage satisfies in every way. Across the Rio Grandeeeeo...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Is that I actually know what Fourier Transform means...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

..of course you do. Like the trajectory of the ice cream cone that hit your head is phase offset from the trajectory of a cone that might make it into your mouth. Had you only Fourier Transformed the path of your ice cream, you not be hungry and your hair would not be sticky and rainbow colored. Double and triple posts.. there was a period of time, like a week when I figured out how to get rid of double posts. If you double posted or wrote something then thought better of it.. you used to be able to get rid of it. You could edit the post.. toss in a link, then it asked you to type the secret code to get the post to stick. If you screwed up the secret code three times the entire post would disappear. This lasted for about a week after I figured that out, then they changed their programming and it no longer works.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Actually, rubbing ice cream on my forehead is what gives me the clairvoyance to comprehend a Fourier Transform.Ice cream headaches are the widow to the universe’s secrets...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

are there scans of the cover art available for the two digipacks?
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

Here's something. It's not a Fourier Transform. It is something. Let's say all you have is your portable music playing device (phone, iPod, whatever) and you want a portable way to make it pretty loud. There is a "personal PA" made by Powerwerks (yes, they spell it like that) and it has a 1/8" input on Channel 3 with tone controls. It sums the stereo signal to mono and plays through two 4 inch drivers and a horn tweeter. I'm listening to some Get Shown the Light material right now and it's WAY better and louder than those little bluetooth speaker devices. This rig is designed to amplify, say, an acoustic guitar and vocal on Channels 1 and 2, and it's great at that too. No, I do not own stock in Earthwerks nor do I know anyone who works (werks) there. I just am amazed at this little box playing Grateful Dead music in my house right now. Yes, I went upstairs to the office to pay some bills and I'm very successfully procrastinating by writing this.
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

It has bluetooth too. But don't do that. Use wires.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html