• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I expect it will be around three weeks before the box arrives here in the Netherlands - shipping normally takes around 10 - 14 days, but the inevitable intervention of customs will add about a week to that. Anything with a high price tag such as this box will attract the attention of the customs so import duty and tax will be levied. I am not sure if UPS will also take a slice for presenting it to customs (thanks guys) but it wouldn't surprise me. I expect to have to fork out around 60 Euros ($80) upon delivery. Sigh.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Yihoo.. i´m so stoked! And it´s the perfect timing, lately I´ve been hooked to everything from 89-spring 90. Lately hearing Bob interpretation with Garcia´s backing vocals on the chorus on "Stuck inside a mobile..." is just epic. A nightfall of diamonds been in heavy rotation... And "Death don´t have no Mercy" is fantastic from this era. I can´t even imagine what they are preparing for the big 50 next year?! :) PS. i read that Bob canceled his Ratdog tour, anyone know why? hopefully it´s nothing serious. Peace from the south of Sweden.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Shipping notice here in Spain. Regarding taxes and additional charges a few weeks ago I wrote that I,d purchased two of the David dodd books, and they sent it to me through ups worldwide saver and I had to pay Twice as much in import VAT and extracharges.
user picture

Member for

17 years

in on the case WRT dancingbear's order. Hoping for a quick and good resolution.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

How do guys rank the Spring 90 shows? 3.29, 3.24, 3.30, 3.16, 3.22, 3.15, 3.19, is my first take at a top 7. Admittedly, I haven't zero'd in on the unreleased shows. Yet.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

Just received my shipping notice in the Bay Area. Can't wait for next week!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

So here's a first... box number 7031 has landed in Cambridge ON Canada... usually it takes at least an extra few days to make it over the border. UPS left it on my doorstop ($24.00 in duty owing.... no biggie). I only zipped home at lunch once I saw it had been delivered on UPS tracking... contents are gorgeous, but the music. Wow. I only had a chance to que up a couple of songs from Nassau (Foolish>Looks Like Rain)... BIG difference between these multitrack remasters relative to the 2 tracks used on the last Spring 90 box. I kind of feel bad for so staunchly defending that previous box. It could of indeed been much better had they used the multi tracks. Anyway... happy customer... I saw 5 shows from this tour (Hamilton, Atlanta)... so pleased to have them all... not too mention all the rest of the tour. An embarrassment of riches :-)
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I'm in CA too (West LA!) Should I be worried? I didn't pay for extra fast shipping or anything, the shipping price is already astronomical enough!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

European visitors to this forum who have received shipping notices should note that the UPS tracking links are now working. According to this my box has arrived in the UK and is sitting in a depot at Castle Donnington. The stated delivery time is by close of play on Monday.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

David L, if your out there, can you please have your people stop using UPS for shipping to Canada, their brokerage fees are unbelievable, got my notice today for Spring 90, Can't what to listen to it, but missed delivery and of course saw the brokerage fee on the slip left behind on the door, ouch…if you would use US Post via Canada Post there would likely be no charge at our end for a $200 plus item. PS - Agree with gphishmon, that MSG 90 run was fantastic, perhaps maybe I was just so happy to see shows so soon after Brent's passing, I don't know. The 90 Foxboro show was out of this world as well.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Got my notice, but not gong to be here until next Thursday. Wish I could have afforded the quicker delivery but was way too much. Gives me something to look toward to though.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

it´s in Koeln, germany (i don´t know where is it), tomorrow morning it will be in Madrid, next Benavente, next Lugo and finally La Coruña. That´s the good thing of the folks of ups (registerd mark), you know, the bad ting is there are people soooo straight that, well you know, for some things it´s like the needle eye, for others they can´t see what is before them. peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

The Spring 90 vol 2 box has now left Castle Donnington in the UK and as of 6.00am this morning has been sitting in a depot in Barking, East London. I can almost see it from my window - so near yet so far. Yes we will all be hit with a huge bill from ups for customs, vat, brokerage, etc. - the DHL/parcelforce charge for the first spring 90 box was over £30 - since this one costs more and ups charge more for handling the import taxes I suspect we may be talking about a bill for £50plus. Still at least we haven't had to endure the fun and games we all had with the non-delivery of the first box over here. Mind you the rather more compact May 77 box managed to avoid any customs charges in many cases. So now we wait for Monday.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

As dead.net begins the shipping with UPS, if you're a commoner, like me, UPS transfers the final ship to your local USPS branch. At least, it works that way with me, in NJ, this year. But, last year, when I lived in FL, was it UPS direct to my door? Ya know.....hmmmmmmmm
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Check your PM:)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Having had a few days to digest the first few shows from the new box, here are my thoughts on the SQ. The new box is vastly superior and sounds as good as anything I've heard released from the vault (I'd say it's the best sounding release yet... but YMMV). The difference is not subtle. Separation of instruments, dynamic range and soundstage are all superb. The music leaps from the speakers. The one thing the 1st box set does have over this one is atmosphere. When I listen to those 2 tracks on good electronics at loud volumes, you can really feel like you are in the performance space hearing the band. All in all though, box 2 is vastly superior in terms of SQ.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Took an extra € 60 (I guess about $ 75) but it arrived safely, even 1 day before the (formal) release date. Checking out to listen...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

First day of Kindergarden the kid was fine the wife was a mess. To see our 5 year old comforting her mom was better than a Visa commercial, PRICELESS! So the wife is on her way to work I had some time to kill before I start my work week I checked our email and I see dead.net sent a shipping notice on Friday so I clicked on the UPS link and according to the tracking info, the Spring 1990 Volume 2 is on the truck out for delivery. A Greateful Day indeed. HAPPY MONDAY, DEADLAND!!!
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Waiting for a shipping notice for my box set. Got a notice on 9-5 for the 3-CD set I also ordered, so they split my order looks like. UPS Mail Innovations, which means it can sit in the local PO up to a few days after UPS delivers it to them, 'til the mailman gets around to delivering it. Meanwhile a UPS truck goes down my street once or twice a day... patience!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

God let this be the one: "Lastly this week is the first set from 10/15/84 in Hartford, CT, featuring Hell In A Bucket > Sugaree > El Paso; Bird Song ; C C Rider ; Tennessee Jed ; Jack Straw > Keep Your Day Job. This tour was filled with adventurous playing, including some truly majestic shows like 10/12/84 in August."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

I know you know this as we are kindred on this, but for old times sake: There has been one, ONE, officially released live song from 1984. Song, not show.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

UPS turned up an hour ago with my box ! The outer was a little worse for wear, and they also charged me £47.35 VAT, but at least the actual box is pristine. Some serious listening to do !
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

There has been one, ONE, officially released live song from 1984. Song, not show. (Going from memory...) Was that the NYE Shakedown opener? What a way to start a set!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The final cost of this $240 box set to the Netherlands came out at $358 with shipping, import duty, tax and the UPS charge for presenting it to the customs. Such is life.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'd rather see a Summer '85 show, we've had nothing from that tour either.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Well, my package was supposed to be delivered today. What got delivered was a small package from Dead.net that contained 1 DVD of the Clint Eastwood movie High Plains Drifter. It DID however, contain a packing slip showing "Spring 1990 OTHER ONE/SPRING 1990 THE OTHER ONE". What the ???? I called Dead.net. They told me I will have to wait until I receive an email with the tracking number to return this DVD (she has no idea how long it will take for me to get this email), and that they can't ship out the correct item until I call them with the return tracking number????? When I asked whether my $240 box would be sent out by the fastest possible method (seeing as how this was their error - or at least they are responsible), I was told probably not. I know the packaging and shipping of these is probably outsourced, but doesn't somebody check that what is packaged is what is on the packing slip?? I work at a manufacturing facility, and everything that goes out is checked against the packing slip. Is anyone held accountable for errors like this, so that these things don't keep happening? Shouldn't I be able to get a refund of the difference between the slowest shipping option and the 2nd air I paid for ($36.95!) which presumably dead.net should be able to get back from the company they outsource this process to? In case anyone who can help with any or all of this is reading, let me know if you any additional info, like my order#. I was so psyched to be getting this today! Help?? Thanks in advance.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Wow...What a delight, the box itself is even more beautiful than the first Spring -90 box, So many small details! And the mix is awesome, Honestly makes it a little bit hard to think of the first Spring -90 sets and why they haven´t got the same mix? This one will be hard to top, I´ve listened two complete shows today and I just can´t get enough. I might be one of the few who never heard the "Brandford" show before and it´s true how amazing it is, for me the highlight is Knocking on heaven´s Door and hearing Garcia and Brent sing the last lines of the song, brings me to tears... What a night! Peace out!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 10 months

Can anyone solve the mystery as to why the box lid is so heavy, even after taking out the coin?
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

So psyched to get my shipping confirmation! Now comes the "tracking" game, and more than a pinch of patience. Have I said that I can't wait!?! In the meantime, I've been tiding myself over by sinking my teeth into Europe '72. It is GOOD! Listening to Aarhus and Amsterdam now. Once the Spring 1990 TOO box set comes, I'll spend a whole lot o' time listening to that! Then it will be on to Wigan and Rotterdam '72. Before you know it it'll be time for Dave's 12.... It's a good time to be a Deadhead!
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

But I'll say it again.... It's a good time to be a Deadhead!
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

now that TOO's shipping, can you run the spoiler alert unveiling video again? The two days I was internet free, I missed the 24hr video window... Might help it sell out... Any idea if first Spring 90 download is 24 track or still the two track???
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I decided to call Dead.net back, and this time spoke with someone else who got a supervisor for me. This person was able to issue a "resend" for the correct item right away, and I got an email immediately confirming that they are resending the box (hopefully, its the actual spring 1990 too box - or at least a better movie!). Thank you Dead.net customer service! (and Dee in particular). And thank you MaryE!!! I hadn't seen your PM when I re-called customer service - I think your PM's came in while I was on the phone with them! I will rest easy when I get a new shipping notice.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

There is something tremendously humorous about your story. Glad it all got ironed out but how that happened, I mean, someone was playing with you. Maybe you are supposed to watch the DVD while listening to the Branford show when it arrives?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

For the price, they might at least have sent me a COLLECTION of Clint Eastwood movies! Maybe all the westerns, or Dirty Harry's or something? My guess is that, since the packing slip was right, someone just put the wrong packing slip (and shipping label) on the wrong package. Someone who ordered a High Plains Drifter Clint Eastwood DVD is probably going to get an interesting surprise! If they don't send it back, who knows? - Maybe a new deadhead is born?? And, hey, it just occurred to me. High Plains Drifter. The title. Coincidence or Serendipity? The fact that what got sent is HIGH Plains Drifter leads me to believe that you might actually be right. Maybe someone thought it would be a funny joke. I'm sure that movie is on netflix or somewhere (I already mailed the DVD back). Maybe I SHOULD try watching it with the sound off, with the 3/29 show playing, and in the correct 'set and setting'? Hmmm.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Yep, 12-31-84 Shakedown
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

That So Many Roads release, which pre-dated a lot of the (or maybe all of the) Dave's/Dick's/Road Trips/boxes was such a treat! Introduced me to some great songs I didn't know, like Sing Me Back Home, and some great versions of many songs. It probably gets lost in the other 400 CDs released after it (no complaints there), but is a real treasure chest.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

That would suck if you got the original spring 1990 box. I mean, the shows are great, but not the same quality of sound. I'm eagerly awaiting my box in SF. I hope it gets here soon.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

I received my shipping notice on Friday, Sept 5th around 11pm but the tracking number is still not working. Anyone else have this problem?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

those of you who are not big fans of Brent-era Dead, but the Fall '89 tour is also spectacular and was recorded in 24 track audio for Without a Net as well. I'm telling you, no way all that stuff doesn't find its way out here. The 4 Meadowlands shows that were not released, the Spectrum shows were amazing, then Charlotte and Miami. It's 11 shows so would be a bigger box, but if they priced it right..... I mean, all of this stuff is tremendous playing, and if they have sound quality that is such an upgrade to whoever circulates they will use it. Agree with whomever below said the first Spring 90 box has more of a live feel. I think it's not a bad thing. The separation of instruments and mix is not as perfect but it is still clear, clean and gorgeous sounding to these ears.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

@sfrank115 - I think that comment was for me? If so, yeah, I hope they get it right. I already have the first box - love it, I think it sounds fantastic, so I'm pretty stoked to see how box 2 sounds using the multi's. @pghas1 - I for one would be thrilled to get a large box of shows (or lots of small boxes) from 1989. And 1988. And 1968. And 1981. And 1985...... Honestly, with the exception of just a few shows that were less than stellar (and even all of those have some great moments) I have enjoyed all the releases immensely. And, it's great to get 'upgrades' to shows I already have in aud or sbd. I would, of course, like to get a passle of shows from underrepresented years, like the early '80s, even if the sound quality is not up to par - as long as they make them sound as good as they possibly can with what they have. The problem with that is that, based on lots of comments here, a lot of folks complain when they pay a lot of money and don't get great sound quality. Unfortunately, my guess is that the majority of us would be thankful to get any great shows, especially from under-represented years/seasons, even if their source is less than ideal - especially if it is made clear that they have put in a lot of work to make them sound as good as they can. I would pay for that the same as for these great sounding recordings. And, how about DVD releases of all those shows they recorded from about 1988 or 1989 until the end. There has got to be a lot of those sitting around. But, still, that's a lot less important than getting the music out.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

@Bertdert -- Got my shipping confirmation today, and the UPS tracking number isn't working either. "Patience," I remind myself. @wjonjd -- Re: That joke about getting the first Spring 1990 box. I think that would be GREAT! You could sell it for $500 or more on eBay, but another Spring 1990 (TOO), and have money left to spare! I think I saw one sell for almost $800 recently. Seriously... In the meantime, as I wait patiently for Spring 1990 (TOO) to arrive, I'm digging Europe '72. Grabbed Rotterdam today, and it SMOKES from the get-go, man! I'm only six songs in and cannot get over how good it is. No wonder it was Dick Latvala's favorite!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Try pasting the tracking number into usps.com.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I agree the So Many Roads box is a wonderful collection of songs, each a highlight from different shows, and many rarities. Several cool jams, too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Shipping notice received tonight and grateful for that! Paid for overnight shipping on the first S90 and it turned into a freaking mess, and thanks again MaryE for fixing that! On another note September 9 is also the release day for the new Ryan Adams album and WOW, got it on vinyl a few days early (working at local music shop has its benefits) and my god. It's really good. I mean really good. It's even more interesting to me reading the articles about how sick the guy has been with the inner ear disease an all. He's an amazing artist, and a deadhead! I love his newest version of wharf rat. It's on YouTube so check it out! Does anyone else listen to him? If ya do and haven't grabbed his new album I highly reccomend it! Peace folks! Hope everyone that has the new box is enjoying it. Grate month for music, and my birthday! Rock on. One more thing to everyone ....if you sign up on the UPS site for UPS myChoice it will email you all the tracking stuff early and also give you the option to upgrade the package for $3.50 to get a day earlier. That's what I did. I got the mail from dead.net saying it shipped and within an hour I had an email from UPS with all the details. Box weighs 6.5 pounds and I'll get it Thursday. Can't wait !
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I can't wait to hold this in my hand. Keep them coming, i am in! First box set is through the roof, sooooo well done, sound is amazing, keep the good times rollin. Jerry thank's you, i thank you. A great time to be alive.
product sku