• 6 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Billed as “Formerly The Warlocks,” the Grateful Dead played two surprise concerts at Hampton Coliseum in Northern Virginia on October 8 and 9, 1989. Popular among trading circles for years, both of these sizzling shows are now available digitally. 

“These were not ordinary Dead shows. In fact, they were the first of what would become known during a brief period as “guerrilla” shows—concerts that were announced only a week or two before they were scheduled to take place and with tickets supposedly reserved only for fans living in the immediate vicinity, as a way of eliminating or at least minimizing the traveling circus following the Dead…”

For these magical back-to-back shows, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, and Brent Mydland treated the packed Hampton Coliseum crowds to a number of revived rarities.

The group shocked and delighted Dead Heads on October 8 when it kicked off the second set by reintroducing “Help On The Way”>“Slipknot!”>“Franklin’s Tower,” a trifecta absent from the Dead’s repertoire for four years. The band closed the show with a killer version of “Morning Dew” before returning for the encore to sing “We Bid You Goodnight” a cappella; another favorite missing from the rotation for years.

The second set fireworks continued the following night when the Dead opened with “Playing In The Band,” which morphed into “Uncle John’s Band” before looping back around to finish “Playing In The Band.” Then, without missing a beat, the group launched into their first performance of “Dark Star” in more than five years. Saving a final surprise for the evening’s encore, the band returned with “Attics Of My Life,” a song from American Beauty (1970) it hadn’t been performed since October 1972.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JoeyMC

I do not understand m4a, and why would they do this?

• Rosebud89
    Default Avatar

I bought it. Can confirm it's m4a, 44.1k/16-bit

• nyctc7
    Default Avatar

m4a

• EZinTN
    Default Avatar

Hampton, VA is not in "Northern Virginia". That's like saying LA is in Northern California. It must've been the roses... except that was '92...

What format is this? mp3 only? When it is available in fLAC I'll buy it.

• jazzbo_me
    Default Avatar

I assume since it doesn't specify that these downloads comes as mp3... or are they in flac?

• toe2323
    Default Avatar

I've wanted these for so long and finally said screw it and bought the box off Ebay a couple weeks ago for $200 and now they release it on digital. :( Just my luck....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Billed as “Formerly The Warlocks,” the Grateful Dead played two surprise concerts at Hampton Coliseum in Northern Virginia on October 8 and 9, 1989. Popular among trading circles for years, both of these sizzling shows are now available digitally. 

“These were not ordinary Dead shows. In fact, they were the first of what would become known during a brief period as “guerrilla” shows—concerts that were announced only a week or two before they were scheduled to take place and with tickets supposedly reserved only for fans living in the immediate vicinity, as a way of eliminating or at least minimizing the traveling circus following the Dead…”

For these magical back-to-back shows, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, and Brent Mydland treated the packed Hampton Coliseum crowds to a number of revived rarities.

The group shocked and delighted Dead Heads on October 8 when it kicked off the second set by reintroducing “Help On The Way”>“Slipknot!”>“Franklin’s Tower,” a trifecta absent from the Dead’s repertoire for four years. The band closed the show with a killer version of “Morning Dew” before returning for the encore to sing “We Bid You Goodnight” a cappella; another favorite missing from the rotation for years.

The second set fireworks continued the following night when the Dead opened with “Playing In The Band,” which morphed into “Uncle John’s Band” before looping back around to finish “Playing In The Band.” Then, without missing a beat, the group launched into their first performance of “Dark Star” in more than five years. Saving a final surprise for the evening’s encore, the band returned with “Attics Of My Life,” a song from American Beauty (1970) it hadn’t been performed since October 1972.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

I've wanted these for so long and finally said screw it and bought the box off Ebay a couple weeks ago for $200 and now they release it on digital. :( Just my luck....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

I assume since it doesn't specify that these downloads comes as mp3... or are they in flac?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Hampton, VA is not in "Northern Virginia". That's like saying LA is in Northern California. It must've been the roses... except that was '92...

What format is this? mp3 only? When it is available in fLAC I'll buy it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by jazzbo_me

m4a

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/hampton-va-october-1989-live-digital-album-m4a.html