- September 16, 2020 - 8:37amStrider 808808Joined:June 20, 2007September / Dean
This is the time of year when both my parents passed on. Mom back in 2nd week of September 1972, Dad eight years later 1st week of September 1980.
I’m the last of the siblings above ground.
Strong medicine. September is a bittersweet time of year. The harvest and the scythe.
Dean, your father and uncle must have been great men.
Readers, try to live life with meaning and passion.
- September 15, 2020 - 11:45pmDean HillJoined:September 15, 2020A Tale of Two Princes
Last year my father Don Hill passed away and today his only and older brother Ken Hill passed away. My father was an automotive mechanic and raised my brother and I on Jerry Garcia's music, he went to over a hundred Grateful Dead shows. My uncle was a printer and had many pets and friends and helped many people quit drinking alcohol saving their lives, he went to over 300 Grateful Dead shows and probably saw Jerry play more than anyone but the band members. They were the biggest Grateful Dead fans and important members of their communities. Their love for their music lives on through us and our friends whom cover Grateful Dead here in Sacramento, Ca.
- September 2, 2020 - 9:59amThe Good Ole G…Joined:December 29, 2015When the storm clouds gather ’round you
Jerilyn's book is wonderful.
I hope to hear more of her story & stories.
If anyone has other memories or stories to share, please do.
Thanks for letting us know MaryE.
- September 2, 2020 - 9:00amStrider 808808Joined:June 20, 2007Grateful Dead Family
Met Jerilyn Brandelius with Mickey Hart at a Halloween 1974 Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders show. Some small auditorium on Geary Boulevard in the Richmond District out towards the Cliff House and Sutro Park. Both were very kind. Big smiles as I remember.
The San Francisco foggy ruins of time.
- September 1, 2020 - 10:28ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007Jerilyn BrandeliusMany of us had the good fortune to meet her over the years. I'm happy I knew her a little bit, starting from the time she got in touch with me to put a couple of my photos in the Grateful Dead Family Album. She passed on yesterday after much ill health for many years, and is much missed.
- August 27, 2019 - 9:51amVguy72Joined:June 29, 2007Casal....
....reportedly by suicide. Ugh.
- August 27, 2019 - 8:53ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007sorry to hear of Neal Casal's passinghttps://jambands.com/news/2019/08/27/neal-casal-1968-2019/ Condolences to his loved ones.
- January 23, 2019 - 6:22pmOroborosJoined:June 4, 2007Thank you Marye. Much appreciated.
Dad turned 92 in November, they thought he had kidney stones and started treatment but when the doctor performed the ultra-sound, it turned into ultra-'Oh NO' when they saw the massive tumor on his pancreas that had migrated (metastasized) to his liver.
Chick lived a great life, he was one of the 'greatest generation.' World War !!, multiple careers, last one running a resort in northern Minn. Lived there year round with my 88 year old mother, they celebrated their 67th anniversary this summer.
I will never forget one beautiful summer evening about 40 years ago, I put Garcia's first album on Dad's stereo, and cranked "The Wheel" and discussed the philosophical aspects of Hunter's words with my father. And Chick listened, and thought about what I was saying. And at one point he said to me "Yes, I get it, .......but can we turn it down a bit?" ;o}
He taught me so much by how he lived, and he even tried to tip his toe into my deadhead world.
What a guy.
"teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself."
- January 23, 2019 - 9:40ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007so sorry, OroborosAll good thoughts to you and your family.
- January 22, 2019 - 11:28pmOroborosJoined:June 4, 2007Phil and Hunter's Box of Rain were for Phil's father
so I will post this 'fare thee well' for my father who is now on hospice care (pancreatic and liver cancer) and will soon give up this mortal coil.
As Bob said after Lowell George died (at the Portland Raceway show in 1979) "he was good while he lasted."
Dad's heart was his gift to all of us.
"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself."