- August 2, 2023 - 9:31ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007Wes "Scoop" NiskerA lot of us here in the Bay Area are reeling from the loss of Scoop, who first came to our attention as the intrepid news guy on KSAN ("If you don't like the news, go out and make some of your own") and later KFOG with M. Dung. Also a legend in local Buddhist circles and the author of many (highly recommended) books on Crazy Wisdom. Safe travels, Scoop. Thank you.
- June 20, 2022 - 8:58amcosmicbadgerJoined:June 13, 2007Johnman and Mona
Some here may remember Johnman and Mona from the early days of Dead Net. Both from the Pacific Northwest who became friends in this place. Both kind, generous and feisty Deadheads who endured a lot of troubles and always came back smiling. I was lucky enough to meet them (and Hal too) just the once at the Furthur show in Edgefield in September 2012, where Mona so kindly looked after JM who had trouble getting about . Both had been ill for some time, and both passed away towards the end of last year. I have not been on this site much lately, but I was thinking about them today and thought some here might remember them and want to know. Fine, fine people.
- December 10, 2021 - 12:29pmDiveman65Joined:January 19, 2017My cousin Ronna from Jersey
My cousin Ronna who back in the 70"s gave me tapes to listen to when I was just a little kid has past away. She started me on this long strange trip with just a few tapes. She went to Egypt and the European tours with the band, she loved the band more then life itself. She was a teacher, she was a sweet heart of a person that I will miss for the rest of my days. She was a real Deadhead who was dedicated to the band and to making this world a better place. Bless you Ronna, until we meet again.
- September 16, 2020 - 8:37amStrider 808808Joined:June 20, 2007September / Dean
This is the time of year when both my parents passed on. Mom back in 2nd week of September 1972, Dad eight years later 1st week of September 1980.
I’m the last of the siblings above ground.
Strong medicine. September is a bittersweet time of year. The harvest and the scythe.
Dean, your father and uncle must have been great men.
Readers, try to live life with meaning and passion.
- September 15, 2020 - 11:45pmDean HillJoined:September 15, 2020A Tale of Two Princes
Last year my father Don Hill passed away and today his only and older brother Ken Hill passed away. My father was an automotive mechanic and raised my brother and I on Jerry Garcia's music, he went to over a hundred Grateful Dead shows. My uncle was a printer and had many pets and friends and helped many people quit drinking alcohol saving their lives, he went to over 300 Grateful Dead shows and probably saw Jerry play more than anyone but the band members. They were the biggest Grateful Dead fans and important members of their communities. Their love for their music lives on through us and our friends whom cover Grateful Dead here in Sacramento, Ca.
- September 2, 2020 - 9:59amThe Good Ole G…Joined:December 29, 2015When the storm clouds gather ’round you
Jerilyn's book is wonderful.
I hope to hear more of her story & stories.
If anyone has other memories or stories to share, please do.
Thanks for letting us know MaryE.
- September 2, 2020 - 9:00amStrider 808808Joined:June 20, 2007Grateful Dead Family
Met Jerilyn Brandelius with Mickey Hart at a Halloween 1974 Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders show. Some small auditorium on Geary Boulevard in the Richmond District out towards the Cliff House and Sutro Park. Both were very kind. Big smiles as I remember.
The San Francisco foggy ruins of time.
- September 1, 2020 - 10:28ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007Jerilyn BrandeliusMany of us had the good fortune to meet her over the years. I'm happy I knew her a little bit, starting from the time she got in touch with me to put a couple of my photos in the Grateful Dead Family Album. She passed on yesterday after much ill health for many years, and is much missed.
- August 27, 2019 - 9:51amVguy72Joined:June 29, 2007Casal....
....reportedly by suicide. Ugh.
- August 27, 2019 - 8:53ammaryeJoined:May 26, 2007sorry to hear of Neal Casal's passinghttps://jambands.com/news/2019/08/27/neal-casal-1968-2019/ Condolences to his loved ones.