• 56 replies
    admin
    30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995 serves as an introductory sampler to the Dead’s live canon, including 30 unreleased performances — one from each concert in the boxed set – along with the 1965 recording of “Caution.” Also featured is an essay by Dead aficionado Jesse Jarnow dissecting every track in the collection.

30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995
    Track Listing

Disc One
    1. “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” – 1965
    2. “Cream Puff War” – 1966
    3. “Viola Lee Blues” – 1967
    4. “Dark Star” – 1968
    5. “Doin’ That Rag” – 1969
    6. “Dancing In The Street” – 1970
    7. “The Rub” – 1971
    8. “Tomorrow Is Forever” – 1972
    9. “Here Comes Sunshine” – 1973

Disc Two
    1. “Uncle John’s Band” – 1974
    2. “Franklin’s Tower” – 1975
    3. “Scarlet Begonias” – 1976
    4. “Estimated Prophet” – 1977
    5. “Samson and Delilah” – 1978
    6. “Lost Sailor>Saint Of Circumstance” – 1979
    7. “Deep Elem Blues” – 1980

Disc Three
    1. “Shakedown Street” – 1981
    2. “Bird Song” – 1982
    3. “My Brother Esau” – 1983
    4. “Feel Like A Stranger” – 1984
    5. “Let It Grow” – 1985
    6. “Comes A Time” – 1986
    7. “Morning Dew” – 1987

Disc Four
    1. “Not Fade Away” – 1988
    2. “Blow Away” – 1989
    3. “Ramble On Rose” – 1990
    4. “High Time” – 1991
    5. “Althea” – 1992
    6. “Broken Arrow” – 1993
    7. “So Many Roads” – 1994
    8. “Visions Of Johanna” – 1995

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • sheik yerbones
    fortunately you didn't loose a good sense of humour, did you?It is alike the freak brothers: it is better to get more dead music than money...
  • sheik yerbones
    I might be interested by a 30 trips boxset; but I am already scared by the price to reach Europe. I don't desperate about a day where digital Downloads will be available individually, let us say for the 55 th birthday? I might be glad to dload 90,91,94,67,84 or 75...All the rest is already very documented with the Dick, Road and Dave's picks series.
  • Aoxamoxa2
    I haven't opened mine/ used mine. I might be open to selling it to u if ur interested
  • wave-that-flag
    Really enjoying this 4 CD collection! Have been listening to it quite a lot! I bought a few 30 Trips shows from vendors, but honestly would have been overwhelmed by the full Box or Bolt! Great job on this! Have been lovin' it for awhile and plan to continue listening through the Holidays! Thanks for helping make 2015 a great year for the Dead 50th legacy! Peace!
  • redemption searcher
    Default Avatar
    The sensible voice in me is saying I should have just satisfied myself with this rather than splurging $750 with shipping when I really can't afford it. Unfortunately good sense left me a long time ago, curiously around the time I got into the Dead.
  • The Outer One
    Default Avatar
    Saw this for sale for CDN $34.98 at an HMV music store in Regina, Saskatchewan today which at today's exchange rate is around US $26.29. Curious pricing ... again. Of course I bought this off dead.net when it was first offered and paid over CDN $55 all in with exchange and shipping. Who knew it would show up on a rack in Regina's HMV?! Lol! No regrets though. Finally through all 4 discs - discs 1 & 2 are killer and I'm sure the Box shows are equally great! With no Box in my future, I can only wonder about the rest of the shows' contributions to discs 3 & 4. Not my favorite song selections but I appreciate the variety and embrace the fact that the 'greatest hits' isn't necessarily the perceived greatest hits. A Grateful weekend to all. Still waiting for DaP16. Sigh.
  • Alberto123
    Default Avatar
    That live is so great right ?
  • _Jeuxvideo_
    Default Avatar
    Awesome live !
  • LedMan
    Default Avatar
    I've been really enjoying listening to the 4 disc box set.. The sound quality and remastering is superb. Love the packaging/booklet and style of disk holders used. Don't have to worry about CDs becoming loose during shipping. Haven't decided which are my fav sample live tracks from this set yet. I've listened to all discs at least 4X so far and enjoy the flow and evolution of the band and their music.
  • Syracuse78
    Good point about appreciating the music and ignoring the sound. I listened to this on a USB stick in my car (top down, beautiful day) and it sounded fine. I think it was just a couple of the really early songs that, through headphones, really sounded bad. And this was not through a great system -- it was thru an iPhone with good headphones. Anyway, it all sounded much better in the car, and the songs other than the first few sound good with headphones as well. Sorry to have been negative.
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995 serves as an introductory sampler to the Dead’s live canon, including 30 unreleased performances — one from each concert in the boxed set – along with the 1965 recording of “Caution.” Also featured is an essay by Dead aficionado Jesse Jarnow dissecting every track in the collection.

30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995
Track Listing

Disc One
1. “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” – 1965
2. “Cream Puff War” – 1966
3. “Viola Lee Blues” – 1967
4. “Dark Star” – 1968
5. “Doin’ That Rag” – 1969
6. “Dancing In The Street” – 1970
7. “The Rub” – 1971
8. “Tomorrow Is Forever” – 1972
9. “Here Comes Sunshine” – 1973

Disc Two
1. “Uncle John’s Band” – 1974
2. “Franklin’s Tower” – 1975
3. “Scarlet Begonias” – 1976
4. “Estimated Prophet” – 1977
5. “Samson and Delilah” – 1978
6. “Lost Sailor>Saint Of Circumstance” – 1979
7. “Deep Elem Blues” – 1980

Disc Three
1. “Shakedown Street” – 1981
2. “Bird Song” – 1982
3. “My Brother Esau” – 1983
4. “Feel Like A Stranger” – 1984
5. “Let It Grow” – 1985
6. “Comes A Time” – 1986
7. “Morning Dew” – 1987

Disc Four
1. “Not Fade Away” – 1988
2. “Blow Away” – 1989
3. “Ramble On Rose” – 1990
4. “High Time” – 1991
5. “Althea” – 1992
6. “Broken Arrow” – 1993
7. “So Many Roads” – 1994
8. “Visions Of Johanna” – 1995

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I did not know that...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is incredibly generous and well-thought out but I'm afraid it's not for me. Apart from the Shrine '67 and Waterbury '72 (which I do have and upgrades are always welcome), the rest are (1) already have, (2) don't need/want. Truly awesome project, thanks for doing it. There are too many shows in there that I know will never get a listen. '76 onward mainly. Still, there's gonna be a lot of happy people out there in just a few months' time.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

This four disc set seems perfect for those of us folks who simply can't afford a ticket to the big dance @ $699.98.Noticed that shipping starts on September 18th...the day Jimi Hendrix died.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

I take back my questions about this. They know what they're doing. Thanks for the continuing output of albums and the professionalism in doing it. I happen to know that 3/20/92 in this series is a very good show. Good choice.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In their 30 years, The Dead played The Spectrum in Philly more than any other venue, not one show? Not a real big deal, nice to see them release a mini version for the poor folk, Don't think I will get anything from this. I'm thinking about watching 1 show Pay for view. Congratulations Grateful Dead.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

A spectrum 89 box would be nice.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'd love the big box, but I don't think I would be married for too much longer if I ordered it. This will do nicely for a small taste. Can't wait for the summer shows. #Couchtour
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Beautiful boxset but the price is high; it surely worth considering the work, but where can I find time to listen 83 CD, maybe Alaska. I hope it will end like E72, selling unity before I spend a little time with angels...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

The big box is just too much for me but I will get this and be happy to have it. I bet this will be available in stores as it doesn't say anything about limited quantities or being a dead.net exclusive.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Good call guit30.. saw a dozen grate ones there myself :)
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

is what this 4cd set should be called...

Member for

9 years 11 months

I agree with lots of you in that this set will do just fine.The Big Box is way more than I would be able to enjoy. There's a limit to how much I can get from RAM to Hard Disk in my brain these days. 80 discs is well beyond it I'm afraid. It's a nice set no question. But I think the single song set will still show the passing phases and transits quite nicely and I won't be looking at it for years having inner dialogues about, "Did I really need to but that?"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

Saw them aroud 150 times going back to 1965 but I just don't have the time for something like an 80 disk set so this one looks like a winner to me. You can never make everybody happy & most people have a special show they think should be included. For me that show was "An Evening With the Grateful Dead" December 1970, Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. But there are just so damn many great ones so this is going to have to do. Sure looking forward to being at the Santa Clara run (pit one day, nosebleed the next) & watching the pay per view with friends at home. You never want someting like this to ever end but I'm sure Bobby will be around, Phil's place isn't far away & Dark Star Orchestra does a great job keeping the music alive.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Yeh I agree with the general heads up on this sampler set. I'm so busy playing music and generally living life that I can rarely get to hear a whole show in one sitting. I still haven't listened to every E72 show (I bought the set as to me E72 is a favourite tour with the 2 keyboards sound). The attraction of the full box is that of watching the seasons change -- I pretty much like somethings about all periods of the Dead -- and I reckon this 4 CD set will allow a digestible version of that journey :)
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Tell you a funny story. Just for the fun of it I decided this year to listen to the whole of Europe 72 in a row. I bought the trunk in 2011, listened to quite a lot, but there where whole concerts (or cities, looking at you, Paris!) that I never listened to. Now I did, and posted reviews at GDSociety on FB. It was intense but fulfilling. But four weeks ago I received DaP 14 in the mail, and I have not listened to a single minute of it yet, just read the booklet...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I didn't like Dark Star Orchestra. I found Cubensis of SoCal to be one of the best cover bands. And Deadbeats in NorCal. But not Dark Star Orchestra. They say they play an exact set but they also put their own music into it in the show I went to so wasn't impressed.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I've seen DSO about a dozen times and EVERY TIME they've played an EXACT GD set, so I really don't know what you're talking about. I've never ONCE heard them play ANYTHING other than a GD song or a song the GD covered. Maybe they played a Dead (or a Jerry or Bob solo) song you're simply unfamiliar with?In any event, DSO remains the Gold Standard of GD Tribute Bands.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 7 months

I've now seen DSO more than The Grateful Dead. Crowd n ticket sizes more to my liking.They NEVER fail to impress. They MOSTLY recreate specific shows, with more original shows of Dead material now that they've done more Dead or Dead-inspired shows than the Guys thru 1995. Smaller gates=more gigs needed. The clincher came when DSO recreated a show from an era it pains me to listen to (u can guess). I LOVED every freakin minute of the DSO version. I've repurposed Bill G's famous quote to my friends about DSO "They're not the only ones at what they do. They are the best at what they do" lytweaver, glad u have some CA bands u like. I also have shows from my E72 box that i haven't played yet. Can't get the Newcastle or Tivoli shows outta my player. So when i don't have enuf time or $ for a mega-box or a final show with a mega ticket n transportation combo, I channel my best Bogart and say "we'll always have Paris"
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I have seen Dark Star Orchestra three times, so far. The 1st time, I was told to expect an almost spot-on duplication of the Grateful Dead's MUSIC. I was very disappointed that assessment. It was not true, a real letdown, I thought. Close, but no cigar. Plus, it was an "original" DSO set list - a combo of 3 Dead shows from Spring of '78.The 2nd try, a complete show from 4/11/88, and I had just listened to the GD original show about 3 days earlier - excellent! DSO didn't capture the exact sound, but they captured the SPIRIT of the GD show. The 3rd time it was an "original" DSO set list, a combination of several shows from 1971. Good band and I'll probably see them again.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

Wow that so nice, gonna buy it instant !
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

since those in charge refuse to release individual shows from the 30 trips box, why not release a 2nd compilation comprised of songs from all 30 shows? a 4 disc set just isn't enough, and 80 discs is a bit too expensive. ----
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

have you seen the beauty of the big box just revealed? there's less than 200 left - beg, steal or borrow, get on the bus, they are going, going and will be gone!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

As far as the release of individual shows goes - the site says "individual shows will not be released on CD." It's the last two words that jump out at me, as if they will be sold individually as digital downloads in the future. At least that's my hope. No way can they package this amazing box set with shows that won't be available anywhere else in any other format ever. They will, eventually. That's my take.
user picture

Member for

15 years

Cape Cod 79 on vinyl would be an awesome pick for Record Store Day!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Can we assume this 4CD condensation will not be subject to the production delay problems that have struck the full set editions? And that it will ship/be in stores on the 18th? Hoping so.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Anybody know if this 4cd edition has been delayed too? I cancelled my big box but am thinking about getting this set. Any insight regarding the release date would be appreciated.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

What are the chances of a 24/96 download being made available on Friday?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

It's available on Ponomusic at 192.0kHz/24bit. For $55.99
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Certainly glad I cancelled my $700 box set!! I can pick-up a copy of this 4cd set later today (Friday Sept 18) or download a full FLAC set from Livedownloads right now. No waiting until Mid October!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

For some reason, 30 Trips arrived in Australia yesterday. I couldn't afford the Box, our exchange rate is terrible and it cost over $1000, so the 4 CD set will do nicely. However I am curious about the song selection. The Definitive Live Story doesn't have a I Know You Rider>China or Truckin', Wharf Rat or The Other One. Not a complaint, just find it interesting that these aren't on something marked "definitive". But hey, it's 4 great CDs, it flows seamlessly, got usual high standard packaging and I'm subjecting my wife to it while I make home-made pizza and we await the football. Life is good.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My preference has always been to listen to stuff that is released by the gnomes at dead.net. I cannot say that Tracks 1 & 2 of Disc 1 don't sound familiar! I thought that NONE of these tracks has been released before officially? Is there any qualification to that statement? But a good package all the same. As each track progresses, you can see the fading of youth, and craft & skill taking over a little at the cost of explosive spontaneity, in a full concert like Dick's Picks Vol 36 or Road Trips Vol 3. No 2. The last track is a mournful rendition by Garcia of Visions Of Johanna. I think I will give this package 60%. A. Ashokan 18.09.2015 1550 aashokan@gmail.com
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I really do not like the way TPTB put the cds into an oversize booklet form...Where do I put an oversize packet into my cd shelving ??? I thought TPTB would have fixed this so it would fit on cd shelf. Also I do not like the cds overlapping each other. Makes it stupid to take ALL of the cds out to get the one you want!!! Sorry for rambling on, I know the music is still the same but when are TPTB going to listen to our dead head buying public??? Thanx
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Just started scraping the surface of the 4CD release. So far the stand out tracks for me are: “Franklin’s Tower” – 1975 “Scarlet Begonias” – 1976 “Deep Elem Blues” – 1980
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

The 70's, 80's and 90's cd's have a total of TWO songs from California. Didn't see that one coming!
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Yowsa, has anyone listened to this with headphones? Some of the early tracks sound awful. I would guess that the worse your sound system, they more you will like some of these early tracks.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I've had that Ramble on Rose in the mix lately. Pretty hot 1990 performance. Everyone sounds great.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Just got this new on Amazon for $32.00........
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

just recvd this primo volume today, oops, yesterday...took dead.net 5 days to ship so not too bad...not fade away actually leads off disc 4 rather than ends disc 3...minor stuff...hey, i don't have a 7k$ sound system so disc 1 sounds fine to me, given these were recorded under challenging conditions...try to appreciate the talent & musicality rather than the noise floor & im (intermodulation distortion)...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

The standout tracks to me are the Franklin's Tower from '75 with incredible A CAPPELLA ending. The Viola Lee Blues is smokin! The High Time is fantastic with Branford chiming in. The Morning Dew is spirited and Is one of my all time favorite tunes so always enjoy hearing a new one. If I could have any of the complete shows it would be Lindley Meadows for sure and the September 72. Great month from the greatest year!
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Good point about appreciating the music and ignoring the sound. I listened to this on a USB stick in my car (top down, beautiful day) and it sounded fine. I think it was just a couple of the really early songs that, through headphones, really sounded bad. And this was not through a great system -- it was thru an iPhone with good headphones. Anyway, it all sounded much better in the car, and the songs other than the first few sound good with headphones as well. Sorry to have been negative.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

I've been really enjoying listening to the 4 disc box set.. The sound quality and remastering is superb. Love the packaging/booklet and style of disk holders used. Don't have to worry about CDs becoming loose during shipping. Haven't decided which are my fav sample live tracks from this set yet. I've listened to all discs at least 4X so far and enjoy the flow and evolution of the band and their music.
product sku