• 220 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Brotherbob81
    Default Avatar

Thanks brother! ✌😎👍

• Scott Mitchell
    Default Avatar

Not sure if your copy arrived but mine was received in New Brunswick on the 9th of September.

• gnoll5
    Default Avatar

Still waiting...I realize the whole covid thing has created delays to Canada, but this is crazy wait...

• billy the kid
    Looks like Rain/ Dave's Picks 2021 subscriptions

The subscriptions go on sale at the end of October and run into January. If you buy the first two or three weeks you get it on the early bird special for about
    $ 99.00. then it goes up to $115.00, or something like that.

• Looks Like Rain ohh

When do the subscriptions usually go on sale? I'm wanting to sign up (already) for a 2021 subscription. I'm on the newsletter/email list so I assume they'll email me...does anyone know?

• kep
    Default Avatar

Listening to v34 now, and scanning the complete list of Dave's Picks, and just bumming on the lack of apparent interest in shows other than the 70s. Seriously, just three from the (very early) 80s and none at all from the 90s... out of 34 releases? How about mixing it up a bit more? Please? Would be extremely grateful...

• Jimbobwe

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/grateful-dead-daves-picks-2020-s…

• Colin Gould

BOLINAS2
    The subscription window closed around 2 months ago. You can buy #34 on 21st April and the other two later in the year but the numbers are likely to be limited so you will need to order them the day they become available. As far as I know #33 is sold out so will only be available from third part sellers.
    I suggest checking you are still registered with dead.net to get their email updates.

• bolinas2
    Default Avatar

Echoing others questions about ability to subscribe a bit late to 2020- also a regular subscriber who missed the pre-order email. No "add to cart" button...Possible to subscribe? Admin- any thoughts?

• ralphm1948
    Default Avatar

I need to get the 2020 series. Unfortunately I was not able to order before the pre order process closed. I have always ordered the Dave’s picks series and would appreciate being able to continue with the collection. How may I acquire this set ? The Pope

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

I would say that's my favourite show in 30 Trips..even before I got the vinyl. But I would also agree that it sounds even better on vinyl . I am currently undecided as to whether to buy "Long Strange Trip" in this format...purely for the Dark Star and that 1971 China-Rider.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

09-20-1970 is one that's long overdue huge acoustic set followed by a crazy electric set.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I would suggest the Long, Strange soundtrack if you can get the Amazon special bonus edition that has extra albums.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

With 6 23 and 6 22 74 to be released, ive been immersed in 1974 releases ... and it's just a shame that so so many of the epic 1974 shows were released in butchered form: 6 16, 6 18, 8 4, 8 5, 8 6, 9 9, 9 10, 9 11, 10 16, 10 17, 10 18, 10 19, 10 20

June 74 in particular is just majestic to my ears ... Would it be possible someday someway to revamp releases like Dick's Picks 12 and Wall of Sound Road Trips to include the full-shows?

Now that we've settled on complete show releases in recent years, it just isn't right to have such epic material unavailable in complete form ... imho.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by dissident1980

A lot of the Dick's Picks releases, & RTs are in incomplete forms. Even some of the early historical releases are mash ups from several shows (Ladies & Gentleman).

They have gone back & done full releases of stuff that had been released before. The Europe '72 Box (from Hundred Year Hall, Steppin Out, & Rockin' The Rhine).

Of course, that was so massive it did not matter. A release with half of the stuff already out might be trickier.

The other option is to put filler on subsequent releases that completes the shows. Or on bonus discs. This might be trickier with long second set pieces and the fact that Dave says we cannot get covers on bonus discs.

But the superlative shows that are chopped, those 74s, 2/13-14/70, 4/28-29/71, to name a few, deserve released in full.

I'd buy a big box with the full '71 run closing of the Fillmore on it (awful lot of GDTRFB/NFA though). Perhaps include the Fillmore West closer as well. Ditto for 2/11, 2/13, & 2/14. Though there are some guests on those dates (Beach Boys in '71, Allman in '70). Could make a release tricky (the Dylan Encores are never on '87 releases).

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Boy , I would love to see full releases of some of those chopped up shows, Oct 74 at Winterland certainly comes to mind, along with many of the others you guys mentioned.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Especially the early stuff. Bear stopped recording in late summer '66?, and from there through 11/10/67 I do not think there is much usable stuff. Phil released some of Rio Nido '67 on Phil Zone, but I believe the source is Aud.

A bit more from '68, & early '69, but still not a lot. I have a feeling most of '70 is missing, especially fall. Ditto the '80s Warfield/NYC acoustic stuff.

If it is there and we have not gotten one complete 70/80 acoustic show other than 5/15/70 then I would be dumbfounded.

In my view, after '72, '69, '77, and '73, '70 is your next best year. Way underrepresented. I just do not think the masters are there.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by dissident1980

Dissident1980...I am drifting into 1974 phase after having listened to the first 3 Dave Picks. The second is from, 7/31/74, and there is a bonus cd form 7/29/74. Truly magical playing.

Maybe the best bet for a release of complete shows from 1974 would be a Europe 72 style box of a complete tour. Every complete show form this year is of interest.

Incidentally, at the risk of being considered a traitor to the cause, there is a pretty good triple cd set of 8/6/74 just come out, available from Amazon.uk. Its an FM recording and the sound is really good-definitely one of the better FM recordings I have heard. This, needless to say, was one of the butchered shows included on Dicks Picks 31 along with 8/4 and 8/6. They don't even credit which songs are from which shows on that one - very unsatisfactory.
But to go back to 8/6/74...great show as well a good sound.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Have the 'scripts sold out for 2020???
No place to add to cart on the subscription page.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DUKEPHOTO

No, subscriptions did not sell out.
You can’t add one to your cart because the subscription window closed weeks ago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 4 months

I need to get the 2020 series. Unfortunately I was not able to order before the pre order process closed. I have always ordered the Dave’s picks series and would appreciate being able to continue with the collection. How may I acquire this set ? The Pope

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

In reply to by ralphm1948

Echoing others questions about ability to subscribe a bit late to 2020- also a regular subscriber who missed the pre-order email. No "add to cart" button...Possible to subscribe? Admin- any thoughts?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by bolinas2

BOLINAS2
The subscription window closed around 2 months ago. You can buy #34 on 21st April and the other two later in the year but the numbers are likely to be limited so you will need to order them the day they become available. As far as I know #33 is sold out so will only be available from third part sellers.
I suggest checking you are still registered with dead.net to get their email updates.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 11 months

Listening to v34 now, and scanning the complete list of Dave's Picks, and just bumming on the lack of apparent interest in shows other than the 70s. Seriously, just three from the (very early) 80s and none at all from the 90s... out of 34 releases? How about mixing it up a bit more? Please? Would be extremely grateful...

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

The subscriptions go on sale at the end of October and run into January. If you buy the first two or three weeks you get it on the early bird special for about
$ 99.00. then it goes up to $115.00, or something like that.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 7 months

Still waiting...I realize the whole covid thing has created delays to Canada, but this is crazy wait...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by gnoll5

Not sure if your copy arrived but mine was received in New Brunswick on the 9th of September.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2020-subscription.html