• 1,356 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    What a setlist!... Made me jealous of those who saw this era live. Great sound… like ‘77 was yesterday. @derekb192 on 10/1/77, YouTube

Wow! Just as when you think eyes is gonna go to drums out of the bliss comes dancing! One of my all time fave moments! Not just classic 77 but classic ever dead! - @emrysdavies1215 on 10/1/77, YouTube

...this show was off the hook from the very get go. The Casey Jones is the best I've heard... beginning a jam that goes through each member going off on an instrumental solo. The end has them jamming so hard you can no longer hear them singing through it. Now you know you're in trouble (The Good Kind) when a show starts like that... Weirtheir on 10/2/77, Dead.net

Holy hell, the 10/2/77 Betty Board sounds incredible... I just wanted to pay homage to this unreleased gem, which features the lovely, tight playing you'd expect of a 77 show with some of the highest audio quality I've ever heard ... What a treat. u/monsteroftheweek13 on 10/2/77, Reddit

I told my mother I was going into Portland with friends. I never told her where I went... @jamesmoore3694 on 10/1/77, YouTube

We know where you've been and we're taking you back with the twice as nice DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 45: PARAMOUNT THEATRE, PORTLAND, OR - 10/1/77 & 10/2/77. Back-to-back complete previously unreleased shows on 4CDs? You betcha! Why? Because we couldn't pick one over the other of these two nights that have been described as "fire," "mind-frying," and "crispy" (bit of a theme here) too many times to count. Witness it for yourself when you dig into the inventive medleys and pristine sound, not to mention the first "Dupree's Diamond Blues" since '69 and the first live "Casey Jones" since '74.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson (with a boost from Bob Menke, more about that in David's video) and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • hendrixfreak

Daverock, just remember never to play cards with anyone named "Duwayne." If he wins he takes all your money. If he loses, he's likely to have a shiv or piece on him... You'll recognize him because his girlfriend has a beehive hairdo and too much makeup, torn jeans and high heels. A species found only in America (I hope)...

BEWARE!

• Dennis

I found those two LP on LP cuts on utube.

I finally found some free software for downloading audio off the "tube" again. They killed the last one I had.

New one is called YTMP3. I was able to scrap the audio off the video with this.

• Dennis

Don't know if anyone else is waiting on these bad boys. But they've been pushed back for over a year. I ordered all 3 and have been waiting. Recently I got an email from Experience vinyl saying 3 was ready for immediate shipping. I waited for mine to arrive and it hasn't. Called Experience today to ask about this. They holding my 3 until the other 2 are ready, I apparently asked for free shipping which meant send one package. Man at Experience was very nice, said he send 3 right away if I wanted. When I heard why it was waiting I said to just hold it. He said he felt semi confident about the April release date because 3 came in. He said the problem has been because of the dead organization, they will only allow the LP's to be pressed in America and there were only two they were allowing.

So if you've been waiting for these, this is the word I just got.

• That Mike

Dennis - There is something special about being a “Completist”. Your collection will rival the Library of Congress one day!

Jim - I did not renew for the DaP series this year, that international shipping rate is a ball breaker, but like you, I am in for this release, and TWO shows is something special, so I ordered it. Besides, 1977 Dead is kryptonite, just really special. Already my wife started with the “See, you should have just renewed. Now, you will buy them one by one etc etc”. You guys know where that conversation goes. (Shoulder shrug)

• Dennis

Ok, the Pink is ordered. Why I do this, I don't know.

I have the two other big boxes from them (early and later), so I have to have, right?

As my old man would have said, "if you're gonna be broke, you might as well be happy"

• JimInMD

I always liked these Portland shows.. another year, another '77 release to start the year.

oh, the horror, no seaside chat for the rollout, Dave has taken refuge in his office due to bad weather. Taking a peek in his office, gotta admit I love the swag on the wall. Put a dark mustache on Dave and he's the next J. Johan Jameson in the next four spiderman movies.

One last comment.. with the decline of the CD and the rise of Vinyl, someone needs to create a CD player that looks and functions exactly like a mini-turntable so we can brink back the CD too. Just saying.. if they had one it would be cool to proudly spin GD discs on the mini, micro turntable of the future.

• That Mike
    Dennis Alert - Get Your Wife’s Credit Card Out

Pink Floyd Announce Massive 'Dark Side of the Moon' 50th Anniversary Box Set

The 2CD/2LP/2-Blu-ray The Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary deluxe box set — due out March 24, 2023, a half-century plus 23 days after the original album’s release date — pairs the remastered LP with the live album The Dark Side Of The Moon – Live At Wembley Empire Pool, London, 1974, featuring an unreleased Nov. 1974 performance of the album.

• daverock

In some circles, people might think you were referring to Duane Eddy using that name. Possibly not on here.

• FiveBranch

For audience recordings, you can go to the website phish.in and find just about every show they've played. But there is no way to download the material. In general, the only way to download live audience recordings is when they are first posted on a website like bt.etree.org.

As to soundboards, you really need to go through the official channel of livephish.com. For casual Phish listeners, I recommend downloading the app on your phone. There are always four or five shows being 'featured' every month and you can stream them all you like for free (if you purchase the subscription, you'll then have access to the entire catalog, which includes every show from 2003 to the present).

I personally don't have a turntable that can digitize the albums but hopefully someone out there will be able to help your out!

• Dennis

I was hoping they bring the axe back,,,, but noooooo.

The damn things double in price also!!!

Ok, I bought! As Bugs Bunny would say,,,, what a maroon.

Now on to the Phishing question.....

My sister gave me all 4 Phish LP on LP. I have all(?) the "official" tour releases. I thought this would give me a digital copy of the LP's. Two of the 4 I have a digital copy, but 2 I don't. One is the sound check/ rehearsal from 5/26/11,,, they did a 29 minute "waves".

The second is a 30 minute ghost from 5/22/2000. They appeared to have done 2 shows at Radio City Music Hall that didn't make the "official" show release from that tour.

Does anyone out there have either the means of making a digital copy from the vinyl? (obviously you have to have the albums also :-) ) OR digital copies of the shows involved.

Thanks and sorry for the off message message. (again)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

What a setlist!... Made me jealous of those who saw this era live. Great sound… like ‘77 was yesterday. @derekb192 on 10/1/77, YouTube

Wow! Just as when you think eyes is gonna go to drums out of the bliss comes dancing! One of my all time fave moments! Not just classic 77 but classic ever dead! - @emrysdavies1215 on 10/1/77, YouTube

...this show was off the hook from the very get go. The Casey Jones is the best I've heard... beginning a jam that goes through each member going off on an instrumental solo. The end has them jamming so hard you can no longer hear them singing through it. Now you know you're in trouble (The Good Kind) when a show starts like that... Weirtheir on 10/2/77, Dead.net

Holy hell, the 10/2/77 Betty Board sounds incredible... I just wanted to pay homage to this unreleased gem, which features the lovely, tight playing you'd expect of a 77 show with some of the highest audio quality I've ever heard ... What a treat. u/monsteroftheweek13 on 10/2/77, Reddit

I told my mother I was going into Portland with friends. I never told her where I went... @jamesmoore3694 on 10/1/77, YouTube

We know where you've been and we're taking you back with the twice as nice DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 45: PARAMOUNT THEATRE, PORTLAND, OR - 10/1/77 & 10/2/77. Back-to-back complete previously unreleased shows on 4CDs? You betcha! Why? Because we couldn't pick one over the other of these two nights that have been described as "fire," "mind-frying," and "crispy" (bit of a theme here) too many times to count. Witness it for yourself when you dig into the inventive medleys and pristine sound, not to mention the first "Dupree's Diamond Blues" since '69 and the first live "Casey Jones" since '74.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson (with a boost from Bob Menke, more about that in David's video) and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Chill with lambasting the sound quality of Dave's 45. If you only listen to the first two tracks (Promised Land & They Love Each Other), as Dave himself explains on the Seaside Chat, you're listening to Bob Menke's audience recording. There's no soundboard of those two tracks and Bob kindly provided his tape. Some have said that the Smith/Miller/Clugston aud (140589) on the Archive is a little better than the Menke. In any case, once you get past those two, you're hearing "recently" recovered Betty Boards from the stash of soundboards returned by ABCD Enterprises. The changeover to soundboard actually happens before the end of They Love Each Other. Check out Dave's Seaside Chat for more.

The two shows on Dave's 45's 4 CDs are great sounding once they reach cruising altitude.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I get where you're coming from. My main complaint on sound on many DiPs and DaPs is the drums are too loud. I used to blame Mickey for being involved in the remastering, lol. But to have two shows for the price of one totally outweighs the defects, and frankly that's what the tone controls are for on our stereos. And I also applaud Dave for being brave enough to get us the two shows with an aud. patch at the beginning. Patches are something they don't do very often and only when it's worth it. Especially, these two shows are so worth it. Don't give up on it.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

I remember getting this on cassette in the late 80s and loved both shows even if there was "some" missing. I have listened to this release several times and I love it. My question is: how is this still available? I've noticed the last few Dave's releases have been selling at a slower pace than just a few years ago. Just wondering, maybe the uptick to 25,000 units was a bit much? Anyway, have a safe happy holiday.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-45/081227834586.html